Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 89 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2211Likes

post #2641 of 2890 Old 04-29-2019, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
I also have an OLED C7 and the DN1080 and have concluded that the CEC/ARC interface between the two have some handshake issues but works most of the time.

1. When you say override the HDMI input do you mean the AVR switches to the Home screen. If so, this is a well known and common problem related to CEC/HDMI issues.

2. This has happened to me two or three times over the last year when watch the Netflix app on the TV (suddenly no sound). Fortunately not a regular activity.
1. Yes, exactly! Every time I turn on my ATV/TV using the ATV/TV Remote. This started about 2 months ago. Never had this issue prior

2. Annoying! Happened during Game of Thrones last night.

LG 65OLEDC7P
Pioneer KRP-500m
Next Level Acoustics HDMONs LCR, CI-IC44A In-Ceilings, CI-HV10 subwoofer
M&K LCR-750s, M-4T Surrounds, V1250thx subwoofer - FOR SALE!
Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary
Sennheiser HD800 & Grado PS1000 headphones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 2890 Old 04-29-2019, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post
1. Yes, exactly! Every time I turn on my ATV/TV using the ATV/TV Remote. This started about 2 months ago. Never had this issue prior
Is it working better with the TV remote?
post #2643 of 2890 Old 04-30-2019, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post
I think there was an OLED firmware update that made this worse. I work around this issue with a Harmony remote that add some delays and extra commands at the start of activities that have exhibit this annoyance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2644 of 2890 Old 05-06-2019, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Anyone tried the Sony SS-CSE up-firing speakers. Or perhaps the Elac Debut 2.0?

My cheap Onkyo SKH-410 don't sound that nice. The highs could be a lot nicer.

-
StrRemote Pro for Sony STR-DN1080 (Android) |
Sony STR-DN1080 | Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 |
Xbox One S

Last edited by grolschie; 05-06-2019 at 10:18 PM.
post #2645 of 2890 Old 05-06-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post

Yes, I have the SS-CSEs. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post57961592
I am not sure how much highs do I hear bouncing from the ceiling. It depends a lot on the ceiling material, texture etc as well.
Also, the proper Dolby approved Enabled speakers are supposed to have an embedded HRTF filter built in.

PS the best I can do is to measure the spectral content of the test signal, it should be a pink noise.
post #2646 of 2890 Old 05-07-2019, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Quote:

Yes, I have the SS-CSEs. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post57961592
I am not sure how much highs do I hear bouncing from the ceiling. It depends a lot on the ceiling material, texture etc as well.
Also, the proper Dolby approved Enabled speakers are supposed to have an embedded HRTF filter built in.

PS the best I can do is to measure the spectral content of the test signal, it should be a pink noise.
Thanks for that. Looking at that parts list, it's disappointing to see that there is no separate tweeter as it's a one-way speaker. Or is there a tweeter on the speaker as a fixed component?

Do they blend in with your other speakers (whatever they may be), or can you hear a tonal difference when objects move from the other speakers to the height speakers?

-
Xbox One S
post #2647 of 2890 Old 05-07-2019, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have the Sony SS-CSE speakers sitting right on top of the Sony Core towers. Flat ceiling with no to minor popcorn.

I cant bring spectral numbers to the table. I can only tell my my anecdote.
They work, not as good as true in ceiling speakers, but a minor effect is felt.

For the most part, to me it feels like there is a bubble of ambient around where the front and atmos speakers are. Most of the sound Ive heard coming from them is ambience.

For example, The car scene from The Matrix, the sound coming from them is mostly the rain hitting the roof of the car.
I watched this series in Netflix called Dragon Prince which apparently had Atmos track, as the AVR immediately detected it. I was incorrect. It was Dolby+, but the sound from the rears was being played on the atmos speakers It did create this awesome ambiance that made me feel like I was playing a video game like World of Warcraft. The movie I was referencing earlier was Fantastic Beasts, which surprised me that it had Atmos sound track on the BluRay version.

I have played some demos which had some specific sounds that were meant to come from above, and there were few instances where it made me look to the ceiling, thinking something was there. It is very rare though.

The speakers are ok. Fit and finish matches the rest of the Sony Core Series speakers that I have; reason why I didnt go for cheaper ones.
If I were to do it again, I wouldn't get them for MSRP. They tend to go for $99 every few months.

Some reviewers indicate that to get better effect, you have to raise the level of the atmos speakers by 5db. Thats how I run them too.
Set up for these speakers indicate they are best when about 1 ft above ear level or 3/4 ceiling height.

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)

Last edited by vapore0n; 05-08-2019 at 08:37 AM.
post #2648 of 2890 Old 05-07-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
I have the Sony SS-CSE speakers sitting right on top of the Sony Core towers. ....
Thank you very much for your reply. It is very helpful.

-
Xbox One S
post #2649 of 2890 Old 05-07-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that. Looking at that parts list, it's disappointing to see that there is no separate tweeter as it's a one-way speaker. Or is there a tweeter on the speaker as a fixed component?
Do they blend in with your other speakers (whatever they may be), or can you hear a tonal difference when objects move from the other speakers to the height speakers?
They are one-way speakers.
Mine sit on top of Sony SS-F7000Ps and exactly as vapore0n describes, they mostly create ambience, so very hard to tell a tonal difference. Also, the reflected sound gets affected by ceiling itself.
I will try to take some measurements when I get the time and chance.
post #2650 of 2890 Old 05-08-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
They are one-way speakers.
Mine sit on top of Sony SS-F7000Ps and exactly as vapore0n describes, they mostly create ambience, so very hard to tell a tonal difference. Also, the reflected sound gets affected by ceiling itself.
I will try to take some measurements when I get the time and chance.

Thanks for that.

I found out today from Sony, that they don't sell these in my country. But there's always other ways to buy. The speaker is bigger than the Onkyo's, and not made of paper. From the images the angle looks greater on the Sony as well.

-
Xbox One S
post #2651 of 2890 Old 05-08-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
From the images the angle looks greater on the Sony as well.
They are designed as perfect fit to the SS-CS3 speakers.
post #2652 of 2890 Old 05-09-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
From the images the angle looks greater on the Sony as well.
They are designed as perfect fit to the SS-CS3 speakers.
Nice. Thanks.

-
Xbox One S
post #2653 of 2890 Old 05-12-2019, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat View Post
I am also up to date on both my LG and Sony.

I turned off bluetooth completely, and made sure there were no registered network devices.

When the receiver wakes back up, it isn't even changing inputs, its just staying on the last input selected (TV). So it makes me think the TV is sending some data over the link.

I've sent LG an email so we'll see if that results in any information.

For anyone having issues with the LG TVs and this receiver, I ended up solving it with a full factory reset on both the TV and receiver. I can shut off the TV and receiver with the TV remote. The only problem I have now is the TV and receiver (and now the AppleTV) fighting about what input to have on when I turn things on. I use Youtube TV app on the LG to watch all my TV (or netflix or amazon) so I don't need the receiver inputs usually.
post #2654 of 2890 Old 05-13-2019, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That is the tricky part about CEC.
On a good day, you turn on the video device (say Apple TV), and that wakes up the TV, AVR, and the input is set to the correct one. All works using a single remote.
On a normal day, you turn on the video device and they all turn on, but the AVR keeps switching inputs due to the TV and the video input fighting each other.

At least my Android TVs, there are options to select what aspects of CEC can be controlled. Like, if I turn on the TV, should the TV command the AVR to turn on, and such.
CEC is also recommended off, when using a Harmony remote. Its better to just configure the remote to turn on each individual device than to rely on CEC.

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #2655 of 2890 Old 05-15-2019, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm running a 5.1 setup, I plan on adding Atmos speakers but haven't made the purchase yet.

Originally I had my system in 5.1 mode, with no phantom back. I never had the receiver say a source was Atmos when it was set like this, and I didn't think twice about it.

Tonight I decided that I'd turn on phantom surround back type A since the surround speakers are set pretty wide and not very far behind me. After I changed the setting the receiver is recognizing Atmos sources, even though I don't have height speakers.

Is that expected behavior? It makes sense that speaker positioning would be needed for Atmos, I wish the guided setup would've nudged me a little harder in that direction if that's the case.
post #2656 of 2890 Old 05-15-2019, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have noticed a humming noise coming from my STR-DN1080 and was wondering if this was common or not. If I place my ear within about 2 feet of it I can hear a low humming noise. It does not matter if the unit is in 'on' (green) or 'standby' (red) mode. Removing all cables and speaker wires from the unit makes no difference. I have tried plugging it into a wall directly, a power strip, and a furman power conditioner and the noise has not changed or gone away. I have the latest firmware updates.

Any clues/ideas/similar experiences?
post #2657 of 2890 Old 05-15-2019, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD76 View Post
I have noticed a humming noise coming from my STR-DN1080 and was wondering if this was common or not. If I place my ear within about 2 feet of it I can hear a low humming noise. It does not matter if the unit is in 'on' (green) or 'standby' (red) mode. Removing all cables and speaker wires from the unit makes no difference. I have tried plugging it into a wall directly, a power strip, and a furman power conditioner and the noise has not changed or gone away. I have the latest firmware updates.

FYI, I called customer service and they ran through some basic steps like disconnecting everything, plugging it in by itself somewhere else in the house, performing a factory reset, moving it away from wireless LANs, bluetooth devices, etc. Apparently the US warranty is for 730 days from date of purchase, so they gave me a free shipping label and quoted an average turnaround time of 7-10 business days.

Last edited by JD76; 05-15-2019 at 08:07 AM.
post #2658 of 2890 Old 05-17-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:

FYI, I called customer service and they ran through some basic steps like disconnecting everything, plugging it in by itself somewhere else in the house, performing a factory reset, moving it away from wireless LANs, bluetooth devices, etc. Apparently the US warranty is for 730 days from date of purchase, so they gave me a free shipping label and quoted an average turnaround time of 7-10 business days.
That's great news to hear about great customer service!

-
Xbox One S
post #2659 of 2890 Old 05-19-2019, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TIDAL content sound better on Chromecast than DLNA flac bubbleupnp ?!

Speakers: Elac Unifi UB5

Receiver settings:
speakers: small
Equalization: 'Engineer'
Auto Phase matching: Off
crossover 50 Hz.

Track: Crash by Charly Antolini from Audiophile Essentials album

I recently upgraded my speakers from my ancient Energy eXl 16 . Still using the Energy exl s10 sub though. I really like Spotify 320kbps streaming from the receiver but I just had to try Tidal for lossless audio goodness.

First I used Chromecast streaming from the Tidal app. I was impressed! But the annoying thing was that my subwoofer wasn't getting a signal! Yes I know it's 2.0 but the bass should be managed just like it is in the Spotify app!

To get around this, I researched ways to input unprocessed uncompressed audio from Tidal (PCM 16bit 44.1khz so that it can be bass managed). I found BubbleUPnP.

So you'd think sending over the FLAC would be identical?! It wasn't! I found the Chromecast stream to be 'alive' with very tight bass and transients. Imaging was better! The sound also seemed a bit colored to high bass. In particular, the percussions just sounded *real* via Chromecast.

Here is a summary of what I tried:
path A: Tidal > tidal android app > chromecast
path B: Tidal > bubbleupnp andoid app > chromecast
path C: Tidal > bubbleupnp andoid app > DLNA FLAC 16bit 44.1 khz (bitrate was less than 44.1k*16 for some reason)

A and B sound identical and better than C. WHY?!
post #2660 of 2890 Old 05-20-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Suddenly my remote is non responsive except for on/off and volume control. No other button, Home, Options, etc will respond. Tried several sets of new batteries.
post #2661 of 2890 Old 05-20-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majidaldo View Post
Speakers: Elac Unifi UB5

Receiver settings:
speakers: small
Equalization: 'Engineer'
Auto Phase matching: Off
crossover 50 Hz.

Track: Crash by Charly Antolini from Audiophile Essentials album

I recently upgraded my speakers from my ancient Energy eXl 16 . Still using the Energy exl s10 sub though. I really like Spotify 320kbps streaming from the receiver but I just had to try Tidal for lossless audio goodness.

First I used Chromecast streaming from the Tidal app. I was impressed! But the annoying thing was that my subwoofer wasn't getting a signal! Yes I know it's 2.0 but the bass should be managed just like it is in the Spotify app!

To get around this, I researched ways to input unprocessed uncompressed audio from Tidal (PCM 16bit 44.1khz so that it can be bass managed). I found BubbleUPnP.

So you'd think sending over the FLAC would be identical?! It wasn't! I found the Chromecast stream to be 'alive' with very tight bass and transients. Imaging was better! The sound also seemed a bit colored to high bass. In particular, the percussions just sounded *real* via Chromecast.

Here is a summary of what I tried:
path A: Tidal > tidal android app > chromecast
path B: Tidal > bubbleupnp andoid app > chromecast
path 😄 Tidal > bubbleupnp andoid app > DLNA FLAC 16bit 44.1 khz (bitrate was less than 44.1k*16 for some reason)

A and B sound identical and better than C. WHY?!
Your DLNA server isn't transcoding the audio to another format is it, presumably LPCM or a lossy codec? The STR-DN1080 is certified to accept MP3, AAC, WMA and LPCM only via DLNA. What codec does it show on the front display of the AVR (briefly)?

Tried playing via USB?

-
Xbox One S

Last edited by grolschie; 05-20-2019 at 12:37 PM.
post #2662 of 2890 Old 05-20-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
Suddenly my remote is non responsive except for on/off and volume control. No other button, Home, Options, etc will respond. Tried several sets of new batteries.
Tried powering it off and unplugging at the wall for few minutes? Or resetting to factory settings?

Alternatively, you could replace the remote with an original replacement (or borrow one to test), or a Harmony Remote.

(My StrRemote Android app controls many of the STR-DN1080 functions, but not the setup/configuration/auto-cal functions unfortunately. But the more limited free version might help in your testing.)

If the IR function on the AVR has a fault, it might need repair.

-
Xbox One S

Last edited by grolschie; 05-20-2019 at 12:52 PM.
post #2663 of 2890 Old 05-20-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Your DLNA server isn't transcoding the audio to another format is it, presumably LPCM or a lossy codec? The STR-DN1080 is certified to accept [can't post link] via DLNA. What codec does it show on the front display of the AVR (briefly)?

Tried playing via USB?
I forced BubbleUPnP to do no transcoding. Plus, on the network player display it says FLAC 44.1 16bit (kpbs varies 900-500). It does FLAC and it even says so in BubbleUPnP.

But I think I've figured out the reason for the difference! When I set my equalizer to "front reference" (or off), the difference goes away!

I'm missing out on the strong high bass from the Elacs otherwise which is prevalent in percussion instruments. I don't know why I've always had it to "Engineer".

So, in conclusion, for some reason, when you use Chromecast, processing is turned off: no subwoofer and my speakers seem to be playing lower bass (these bookshelves can go down to 45hz and I sometimes think my subwoofer is working!)

Will be ditching Spotify soon!
post #2664 of 2890 Old 05-21-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Your DLNA server isn't transcoding the audio to another format is it, presumably LPCM or a lossy codec? The STR-DN1080 is certified to accept [can't post link] via DLNA. What codec does it show on the front display of the AVR (briefly)?

Tried playing via USB?
I forced BubbleUPnP to do no transcoding. Plus, on the network player display it says FLAC 44.1 16bit (kpbs varies 900-500).
So the DLNA client on the AVR handles more codecs than it's certified for. That's good to know. Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got it sorted.

Do you notice a significant sound quality difference between Spotify (presumably with a Premium account) and Tidal?

EDIT: Just testing the built-in Chromecast. Yup, it's stuck on all speakers. But Pure Direct mode works ok.

-
Xbox One S

Last edited by grolschie; 05-21-2019 at 01:35 AM.
post #2665 of 2890 Old 05-21-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
The STR-DN1080 is certified to accept MP3, AAC, WMA and LPCM only via DLNA.
I wonder why is DSD missing from that list?
I prefer DSD over Hi-Res PCM mainly because of the multichannel mixes that may be available.

Last edited by priitv8; 05-21-2019 at 05:31 AM.
post #2666 of 2890 Old 05-21-2019, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The lag on the optical input is unacceptable on this AVR. I need to add 200ms to the video on my TV player to match the audio lag on the optical input. The optical input is totally unusable for gaming.
post #2667 of 2890 Old 05-21-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The STR-DN1080 is certified to accept MP3, AAC, WMA and LPCM only via DLNA.
I wonder why is DSD missing from that list?
I prefer DSD over Hi-Res PCM mainly because of the multichannel mixes that may be available.
Hmmm... Quite possibly these are the only audio formats one can certify.?Looking at a Yamaha certificate, I only see the same codecs.

EDIT: My apologies. The online help confirms the supported formats over DLNA:
https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn1...001221399.html

Clearly it supports way more formats than certified for.

-
Xbox One S

Last edited by grolschie; 05-21-2019 at 11:56 AM.
post #2668 of 2890 Old 05-21-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post
The lag on the optical input is unacceptable on this AVR. I need to add 200ms to the video on my TV player to match the audio lag on the optical input. The optical input is totally unusable for gaming.
Do you notice the same lag with HDMI ARC (if you've tried it)? When watching TV I found audio sync issues with both HDMI ARC and Optical.

-
Xbox One S
post #2669 of 2890 Old 05-21-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
So the DLNA client on the AVR handles more codecs than it's certified for. That's good to know. Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got it sorted.

Do you notice a significant sound quality difference between Spotify (presumably with a Premium account) and Tidal?

EDIT: Just testing the built-in Chromecast. Yup, it's stuck on all speakers. But Pure Direct mode works ok.
I wouldn't say 'significant'. Even with my optimized set up (my room is treated), I'd have to turn up the volume high and the audio would have to be the 'fast' kind. I played the same track from both services, the difference in percussion instruments (fast transients) are what won me over (again you'd have to listen at a relatively loud volume). Simply put, they had more of an impact. That's as specific as I can get besides saying "it sounds better".
post #2670 of 2890 Old 05-21-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't say 'significant'. Even with my optimized set up (my room is treated), I'd have to turn up the volume high and the audio would have to be the 'fast' kind. I played the same track from both services, the difference in percussion instruments (fast transients) are what won me over (again you'd have to listen at a relatively loud volume). Simply put, they had more of an impact. That's as specific as I can get besides saying "it sounds better".
Thank you kindly! 🙂

-
Xbox One S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page