Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2211Likes

post #2671 of 2888 Old 05-23-2019, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Replicable issue?

Bought a sony 1080 av receiver late last year.

I've recently noticed the sound quality hasn't been great (I've often tweaked the settings) and now have realised why.

The receiver gives you the ability to chose auto calibration e.q settings - full flat, front ref, engineer. All sound great.

Once a setting is selected it stays in place UNTIL the amp is turned off. As when I turn it back on it says it is on 'full flat' or whatever, but it is actually 'off' - as when you change it to 'off' there is no change to the sound and then when you go back to 'full flat' it sounds good, as it should again.

Having searched it looks like this is a problem others have found (on the Sony boards).

Does anyone have any ideas? Or any guidance from Sony? Or is this (and others experiencing this issue) a faulty unit?

I also have a hum (sounds like a power hum or bad dampening somewhere - seems to go when the received is placed on a sponge!).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2888 Old 05-24-2019, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Prangell View Post
The receiver gives you the ability to chose auto calibration e.q settings - full flat, front ref, engineer. All sound great.

Once a setting is selected it stays in place UNTIL the amp is turned off. As when I turn it back on it says it is on 'full flat' or whatever, but it is actually 'off' - as when you change it to 'off' there is no change to the sound and then when you go back to 'full flat' it sounds good, as it should again.
This should not happen. Have you tried a reset to factory settings and a recalibration? Is your firmware up-to-date? Is your AVR still under warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Prangell View Post
I also have a hum (sounds like a power hum or bad dampening somewhere - seems to go when the received is placed on a sponge!).
I would be contacting Sony tech support on this one.

-
StrRemote Pro for Sony STR-DN1080 (Android) |
Sony STR-DN1080 | Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 |
Xbox One S
post #2673 of 2888 Old 05-27-2019, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post
Do you notice the same lag with HDMI ARC (if you've tried it)? When watching TV I found audio sync issues with both HDMI ARC and Optical.
Hi grolschie. I havent been able to test ARC since my plasma doesn't have it. If I run my devices to the AVR first then to TV, everything is in sync. but if I run it to the TV first then use optical audio passthrough the AVR audio is about 200ms behind the audio. This can be managed in video playback by adding equal delay to the video, but its no good for gaming. I've tried everything in the AVR setup to fix it, nothing helps.
It's definitely the AVR that is the source of the lag, not my TVs optical output. My old str-dg820 had zero lag on the optical input, same tv, same setup.

Makes me wonder what the input lag is on all the HDMI inputs. If the optical (and perhaps the ARC) have audio input lag, maybe the HDMI have video and audio input lag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2674 of 2888 Old 05-27-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm thinking of upgrading to this AVR from my current Sony AVR purely to improve the overall sound quality. I stream movies from the in built apps on my TV (Netflix, Plex, etc) to the AVR via HDMI ARC. How would you guys rate the sound from this AVR in general?

TV: Sony 55" X90C 4k HDR | AVR: Sony STRH-D520 | Blu-Ray: Sony PS3 | Audio Player: Chromecast | Speakers: Cambridge Audio Minx Min22 Front - Cambridge Audio Minx Min22 Centre - Cambridge Audio Minx Min12 Surrounds | Subwoofer: SVS SB1000 12" Sealed Subwoofer (with SVS Isolation Feet) | NAS: Custom Build |
post #2675 of 2888 Old 05-27-2019, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinm View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading to this AVR from my current Sony AVR purely to improve the overall sound quality. I stream movies from the in built apps on my TV (Netflix, Plex, etc) to the AVR via HDMI ARC. How would you guys rate the sound from this AVR in general?
What is your current receiver though?
Do you think you will see an improvement while still using ARC for sound return (limited to DD+)?

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #2676 of 2888 Old 05-28-2019, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
What is your current receiver though?
Do you think you will see an improvement while still using ARC for sound return (limited to DD+)?
Sony STRH-D520 is my current AVR. Understand I'm limited to DD+ but just curious if the overall sound quality will be better if I swap out my AVR for a 1080.

TV: Sony 55" X90C 4k HDR | AVR: Sony STRH-D520 | Blu-Ray: Sony PS3 | Audio Player: Chromecast | Speakers: Cambridge Audio Minx Min22 Front - Cambridge Audio Minx Min22 Centre - Cambridge Audio Minx Min12 Surrounds | Subwoofer: SVS SB1000 12" Sealed Subwoofer (with SVS Isolation Feet) | NAS: Custom Build |
post #2677 of 2888 Old 05-28-2019, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinm View Post
Sony STRH-D520 is my current AVR. Understand I'm limited to DD+ but just curious if the overall sound quality will be better if I swap out my AVR for a 1080.
Sound quality is excellent, but your 520 is no slouch either. Just my opinion, but I don't think you will notice a big improvement in sound quality in movies and tv shows. Music sources, yes, it is a bit better but not significantly better in my opinion (I upgraded from STR-DG820).
For home theater the biggest improvement is support for Dolby Atmos, which you aren't going to get with ARC.
post #2678 of 2888 Old 05-28-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post
Quote:
Do you notice the same lag with HDMI ARC (if you've tried it)? When watching TV I found audio sync issues with both HDMI ARC and Optical.
Hi grolschie. I havent been able to test ARC since my plasma doesn't have it. If I run my devices to the AVR first then to TV, everything is in sync. but if I run it to the TV first then use optical audio passthrough the AVR audio is about 200ms behind the audio. This can be managed in video playback by adding equal delay to the video, but its no good for gaming. I've tried everything in the AVR setup to fix it, nothing helps.
It's definitely the AVR that is the source of the lag, not my TVs optical output. My old str-dg820 had zero lag on the optical input, same tv, same setup.

Makes me wonder what the input lag is on all the HDMI inputs. If the optical (and perhaps the ARC) have audio input lag, maybe the HDMI have video and audio input lag.
Thanks for that. The lag is disappointing really. And I'm not very hopeful of a firmware update to address it. But perhaps contact Sony support anyway? They cannot fix it if they don't know about it.

-
Xbox One S
post #2679 of 2888 Old 05-28-2019, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

I've emailed Sony support. Not optimistic. I emailed them before about unrelated issues, but didn't get anything but a form filled auto-reply.
post #2680 of 2888 Old 05-28-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Sound quality is excellent, but your 520 is no slouch either. Just my opinion, but I don't think you will notice a big improvement in sound quality in movies and tv shows. Music sources, yes, it is a bit better but not significantly better in my opinion (I upgraded from STR-DG820).
For home theater the biggest improvement is support for Dolby Atmos, which you aren't going to get with ARC.
Thanks for this. Think I'll leave buying one for now.

post #2681 of 2888 Old 05-28-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I've emailed Sony support. Not optimistic. I emailed them before about unrelated issues, but didn't get anything but a form filled auto-reply.
Thanks for that. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and all that. There's also the Sony forums, http://community.sony.com and also the UK/European forums, if you feel inclined. That way it's public and others can say 'me as well'.

-
Xbox One S
post #2682 of 2888 Old 05-31-2019, 06:40 PM

Here's an interesting problem. Some are finding that the Calibration type (i.e Engineer, Front Reference, Full Flat) aren't being stored when the AVR is turned off. The settings show the correct value, but switching the setting to another type and back again reveals to the ears that it wasn't in reality being stored.

Ref: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home...d/td-p/2464792

-
Xbox One S
post #2683 of 2888 Old 06-05-2019, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So, picked up a 1080 at a great price to replace my 1060. Going for more HDR components, so needed the 1080's support here.

In every way, it's as good as or better than the 1060, including (for my room and speakers) the sound. However, a few annoying things I'd love to hear feedback on:

1) Onscreen fonts look low-quality. The 1060 had nice, smooth characters laid out well. On the 1080, especially on things like the volume display, the characters are blocky and spaced oddly. This aspect looks more like a lower-end receiver from a decade ago. I've looked around, but can't find any settings that allow this to be adjusted.
2) Slow input switching. The 1060 is noticeably faster. I'm assuming this has something to do with the 1080 losing the "fast switching" config option, and that there was a reason for it. Anyone know why?
3) Loss of Bluetooth transmit mode feedback. When the 1060 is switched to BT transmit, adjusting its volume puts a little BT symbol onscreen to remind you that the amp's not powering the speakers. On the 1080, it's not there -- not a real problem for me, but at least I could tell other in the household to watch for it on the 1060 so they'd know when to toggle BT off on the remote.

If anyone knows a way to improve any of the above, or the reasons for the changes, I'd be quite interested.

---
Sony XBR-65A9G, BDP-S790, STR-DN1080; Nvidia Shield; Logitech Harmony Elite
Old: Sony XBR-HX929, STR-DN1060
post #2684 of 2888 Old 06-07-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoLingo View Post
So, picked up a 1080 at a great price to replace my 1060. Going for more HDR components, so needed the 1080's support here.

In every way, it's as good as or better than the 1060, including (for my room and speakers) the sound. However, a few annoying things I'd love to hear feedback on:

1) Onscreen fonts look low-quality. The 1060 had nice, smooth characters laid out well. On the 1080, especially on things like the volume display, the characters are blocky and spaced oddly. This aspect looks more like a lower-end receiver from a decade ago. I've looked around, but can't find any settings that allow this to be adjusted.
2) Slow input switching. The 1060 is noticeably faster. I'm assuming this has something to do with the 1080 losing the "fast switching" config option, and that there was a reason for it. Anyone know why?
3) Loss of Bluetooth transmit mode feedback. When the 1060 is switched to BT transmit, adjusting its volume puts a little BT symbol onscreen to remind you that the amp's not powering the speakers. On the 1080, it's not there -- not a real problem for me, but at least I could tell other in the household to watch for it on the 1060 so they'd know when to toggle BT off on the remote.

If anyone knows a way to improve any of the above, or the reasons for the changes, I'd be quite interested.
I think this feedback would be best given to Sony tech support. 🙂

-
Xbox One S
post #2685 of 2888 Old 06-08-2019, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Hello!

I’m watching a Blu-ray that’s in Dolby digital HD, but the receiver is only showing Dolby Digital 5.1. Is that normal?? Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2686 of 2888 Old 06-08-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericuf View Post
Hello!

I’m watching a Blu-ray that’s in Dolby digital HD, but the receiver is only showing Dolby Digital 5.1. Is that normal?? Thank you!!

The issue is my Sony x800 Blu-ray player apparently. Played the disc from Xbox and receiver shows true hd. Sigh.

post #2687 of 2888 Old 06-08-2019, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
The issue is my Sony x800 Blu-ray player apparently. Played the disc from Xbox and receiver shows true hd. Sigh.
Hi ericuf, check Sony X800 audio setting..."BD Audio MIX" should be set to off.
post #2688 of 2888 Old 06-09-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi ericuf, check Sony X800 audio setting..."BD Audio MIX" should be set to off.

Weird, it was off, but then I turned it on and off again and now it’s working correctly!

New issue - when I fast forward through a Blu-ray Disc, the receiver is changing inputs ...???

post #2689 of 2888 Old 06-10-2019, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
New issue - when I fast forward through a Blu-ray Disc, the receiver is changing inputs ...???
Sometimes the DN1080 does seem to have a mind of its own. Every couple of months while I am watching a Netflix movie from an app on the TV, the DN1080 decides to switch to the Bluray player input.

In your case it could be possible that part of the IR command was not completely received and was interpreted as an input change command. Try using another remote to see if the same thing happens, or make sure that the remote is pointed directly at the devices.
post #2690 of 2888 Old 06-10-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
Sometimes the DN1080 does seem to have a mind of its own. Every couple of months while I am watching a Netflix movie from an app on the TV, the DN1080 decides to switch to the Bluray player input.

In your case it could be possible that part of the IR command was not completely received and was interpreted as an input change command. Try using another remote to see if the same thing happens, or make sure that the remote is pointed directly at the devices.

Gotcha. Interestingly, I’m using the Blu-ray remote not the receiver.

post #2691 of 2888 Old 06-11-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post

Gotcha. Interestingly, I’m using the Blu-ray remote not the receiver.

If you want to control more than one device with a single remote, and not have problems with HDMI CEC, then I would recommend a Logitech Harmony remote. Even the cheap ones work well. A little tricky perhaps to setup initially, but you can then turn off HDMI CEC on most of your devices. HDMI ARC still requires it though.

-
Xbox One S
post #2692 of 2888 Old 06-11-2019, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any thoughts on the STR-DN1080 vs the Denon AVRS940H? I'm looking for a secondary setup in the family room downstairs and both units seem to be on sale this week.
post #2693 of 2888 Old 06-17-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuck View Post
Any thoughts on the STR-DN1080 vs the Denon AVRS940H? I'm looking for a secondary setup in the family room downstairs and both units seem to be on sale this week.
I'm presuming that people here are not familiar with the Denon. Are you able to demo them both? Google some reviews?

-
Xbox One S
post #2694 of 2888 Old 06-17-2019, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

I’m looking at the STRDN1080 and the Denon S950H. From my understanding the Denon S940H never received a firmware update for eArc (X3500H and above from 2018 did) which was introduced as a standard feature in 2019 with the S950H. The Sony on the other hand was released in 2017 and had its firmware updated (v. M41.R.0442) to support eArc (and and also had a previous firmware update for Dolby Vision pass through.

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500/ZA | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV C41W | Samsung UBD-K8500
Samsung UN32EH4003 | AppleTV 4th Gen | DirecTV C41W
post #2695 of 2888 Old 06-18-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman0725 View Post
Quote:
I’m looking at the STRDN1080 and the Denon S950H. From my understanding the Denon S940H never received a firmware update for eArc (X3500H and above from 2018 did) which was introduced as a standard feature in 2019 with the S950H. The Sony on the other hand was released in 2017 and had its firmware updated (v. M41.R.0442) to support eArc (and and also had a previous firmware update for Dolby Vision pass through.
The Sony STR-DN1080 was WhatHiFi's Product of the Year for 2 years running:
https://www.whathifi.com/sony/str-dn1080/review

That's pretty impressive. There are some shortcomings mind you, but mostly around HDMI CEC and the slowness of UI and input changes.
Rodney Nicotine likes this.

-
Xbox One S
post #2696 of 2888 Old 06-19-2019, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The only thing I dont like about my AVR (STR1080) is the dynamic compression, which barely works.
I had to bump the center channel just to listen to voices.

This is only a problem because I live in a townhouse, with two neighbors one at each wall.
If it was a house, I wouldnt care and would just run at louder volume.

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #2697 of 2888 Old 06-21-2019, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Luckily, the venues aren't mutually exclusive.

I'd definitely be interested in what other owners have to say about the 1080's UI & switching performance. A bit odd to see it go backwards so much.

---
Sony XBR-65A9G, BDP-S790, STR-DN1080; Nvidia Shield; Logitech Harmony Elite
Old: Sony XBR-HX929, STR-DN1060
post #2698 of 2888 Old 06-21-2019, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After trying out both the DN1080 as well as the Denon 940H, I actually went with the Denon x3400H. Amazon had it marked down from 999 to 499. I really wanted to go with the Sony but I found the input switching to be pretty slow and the 6v8 HDMI inputs was a killer for me. I will say though, I was pretty impressed with the Sony, just a few shortcomings that made me switch to the Denon.
post #2699 of 2888 Old 06-21-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoLingo View Post
Quote:
Luckily, the venues aren't mutually exclusive. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

I'd definitely be interested in what other owners have to say about the 1080's UI & switching performance. A bit odd to see it go backwards so much.
For sure. The slowness of the UI and switching is a common complaint on forums. What I meant earlier was that Sony most likely don't read this forum so cannot take your comments on-board.

-
Xbox One S
post #2700 of 2888 Old 06-21-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
After trying out both the DN1080 as well as the Denon 940H, I actually went with the Denon x3400H. Amazon had it marked down from 999 to 499. I really wanted to go with the Sony but I found the input switching to be pretty slow and the 6v8 HDMI inputs was a killer for me. I will say though, I was pretty impressed with the Sony, just a few shortcomings that made me switch to the Denon.
Nice one. Enjoy! Sounds like a bargain!

One of the limitations for my receiver choice is the space in my cabinet, so that rules out bigger beasts. How does your Denon compare sound-wise to the Sony?

-
Xbox One S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page