Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2206Likes

post #2701 of 2731 Old 06-22-2019, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I have an issue.

I can see the Sony AVR OSD Volume overlay on my TV when I am on the Sony Home Screen/ Settings and when I have my source on BD/DVD. However when I have my source on TV and am using ARC and watching Netflix I can not see the the Sony AVR volume overlay.

Any thoughts??

Thank You,
Brian M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 2731 Old 06-23-2019, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Marousek View Post
Hello,

I have an issue.

I can see the Sony AVR OSD Volume overlay on my TV when I am on the Sony Home Screen/ Settings and when I have my source on BD/DVD. However when I have my source on TV and am using ARC and watching Netflix I can not see the the Sony AVR volume overlay.

Any thoughts??

Thank You,
Brian M.
That is because the primary video feed is not coming from the AVR and it does not have the opportunity to overlay the small video graphic of the volume. The ARC interface would need to contain the volume adjustment information and it does not. However, you may have noticed (if your TV supports it) that when your source is the TV and the Mute button is pressed that a Mute indicator is displayed. This signal indicator is in the ARC interface.
post #2703 of 2731 Old 06-23-2019, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post
One of the limitations for my receiver choice is the space in my cabinet, so that rules out bigger beasts. How does your Denon compare sound-wise to the Sony?
I'm kinda in the middle honestly. I swear that the Sony may have a slight edge as far as a power and feel on movie playback, but the extra HDMI inputs as well as the faster input switching are very nice. Without a doubt, I have to cut the volume up quite a bit to hang with what the Sony put out. I changed the volume mode to dB mode and usually watch movies around -12.5 which from what I read seems in the norm. I've got 30 days with Amazon to finally make a decision but I'm not 100 percent sold on either yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2704 of 2731 Old 06-23-2019, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuck View Post
Quote:
One of the limitations for my receiver choice is the space in my cabinet, so that rules out bigger beasts. How does your Denon compare sound-wise to the Sony?
I'm kinda in the middle honestly. I swear that the Sony may have a slight edge as far as a power and feel on movie playback, but the extra HDMI inputs as well as the faster input switching are very nice. Without a doubt, I have to cut the volume up quite a bit to hang with what the Sony put out. I changed the volume mode to dB mode and usually watch movies around -12.5 which from what I read seems in the norm. I've got 30 days with Amazon to finally make a decision but I'm not 100 percent sold on either yet.
Thanks for that. All the best with your decision. 🙂

-
StrRemote Pro for Sony STR-DN1080 (Android) |
Sony STR-DN1080 | Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 |
Xbox One S

Last edited by grolschie; 07-11-2019 at 11:40 AM.
post #2705 of 2731 Old 06-24-2019, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernd wagner View Post
Regardless, it is. As it is sold in Europe, where about 70 % of all speakers are 4 Ohm, ;-)

And of course it can handle 4-Ohm-Speakers. I have no trouble at all powering my 4-Ohms with this Sony Amp.
Sadly, no. I loved everything about this receiver, but turning it up at all with my 4ohm Atlantic Technology speakers resulted in shutoff in protect mode. I returned it and ordered an Onkyo TX-RZ830.
post #2706 of 2731 Old 06-24-2019, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 26
As has been reported on this forum and AVForums, the STR-DN1080 does not allow DTS-X to play properly if using Atmos upfiring speakers with the FD setting selected. Some have recommended either manually changing to FH when watching DTS-X content or leaving it on FH. For those who have done the latter, have you noticed any significant quality differences with setting the upfiring speakers to FH? Should they be recalibrated after doing this or leave the existing calibration settings as is?

Lastly, I do like how the Dolby Surround setting fills the sound field with non-Atmos content. My favorite thing about Atmos isn't the specific height sounds (although those are great), but instead the feeling of being within a 360 sound bubble. If using the Dolby Surround setting, does it have any negative impact on DTS-X mixes or does it turn off for those?

I appreciate any feedback.

Sony 75x900e
Yamaha RX-481
Xbox One X | PS4 Pro | Nintendo Switch
post #2707 of 2731 Old 06-25-2019, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFingTwist View Post
As has been reported on this forum and AVForums, the STR-DN1080 does not allow DTS-X to play properly if using Atmos upfiring speakers with the FD setting selected. Some have recommended either manually changing to FH when watching DTS-X content or leaving it on FH. For those who have done the latter, have you noticed any significant quality differences with setting the upfiring speakers to FH? Should they be recalibrated after doing this or leave the existing calibration settings as is?

Lastly, I do like how the Dolby Surround setting fills the sound field with non-Atmos content. My favorite thing about Atmos isn't the specific height sounds (although those are great), but instead the feeling of being within a 360 sound bubble. If using the Dolby Surround setting, does it have any negative impact on DTS-X mixes or does it turn off for those?

I appreciate any feedback.

I would really like to know this as well before buying it !
post #2708 of 2731 Old 06-25-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentifrice View Post
I would really like to know this as well before buying it !
I was also concerned about this when initially setting up my DN1080 with upfiring Atmos speakers. That was some time ago, and I am at the point where I focus more on the content of the program than what sound mode is being use. The majority of my viewing is from Netflix, and cable TV and there is very little DTS content so it is a non-issue for me. An Atmos stream provides a slight enhancement.

The DN1080 and Atmos speakers in my 5.1.2 configuration do very well with full immersive sound from the FD setting, and I do not feel that I am missing out.I enjoy my system but am not a perfectionist, so take this for what it may be worth.
post #2709 of 2731 Old 06-25-2019, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How do they make this 165w RMS system with only a 275 watt power supply?

Is Sony magic?
post #2710 of 2731 Old 06-25-2019, 04:54 PM

Better to go by bench tests:
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...iew-test-bench

-
Xbox One S
post #2711 of 2731 Old 07-10-2019, 01:10 PM

Hey everyone, this is my first time reporting the performance of my 1080. I find the AVR very buggy.

My setup is:
1. 5.1.2 Klipsch Reference Series II, all in-wall/ceiling mount.

2. Blu-ray DVD player is Xbox One.

3. All firmware and app software updated.

4. Sony TV and a Epson projector are outputs on the AVR.

The Atmos demo files downloaded from Dolby and played thru Xbox USB works flawlessly 100% regardless of output (TV/Projector)

Issues:

1. From time to time, the HMDI setting switches to AMP+TV. Causing all sorts of havoc. I'm not turning on both outputs (TV/Projector), but both sometimes turn on themselves and switch to AMP+TV. I'm using a Harmony Elite with a Hub.

2. Sometimes when I play a Atmos enabled Blu Ray, the Xbox says that the AVR cannot decode the audio and I have to switch it off. A complete reboot usually resolves this issue.

3. When I watch an Atmos Blu-Ray the AVR displays first says: "Dolby Atmos Linear PCM 7.1 3/4 4.1" and then "Dolby Atmos - Dolby TrueHD", and finally settles on "DAtmos". What am I actually getting? I can sense the Atmos in my ceiling speakers regardless. Seems like AVR initially can't figure out what it's decoding. (I understand that Atmos codec is part of TrueHD codec, but AVR should be clear it's decoding Atmos instead of TrueHD)

Anyone else experience this?
post #2712 of 2731 Old 07-10-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
3. When I watch an Atmos Blu-Ray the AVR displays first says: "Dolby Atmos Linear PCM 7.1 3/4 4.1" and then "Dolby Atmos - Dolby TrueHD", and finally settles on "DAtmos". What am I actually getting? I can sense the Atmos in my ceiling speakers regardless. Seems like AVR initially can't figure out what it's decoding. (I understand that Atmos codec is part of TrueHD codec, but AVR should be clear it's decoding Atmos instead of TrueHD)
Not sure about the other issues. Maybe contact Sony support? Many issues this AVR has can be resolved by turning HDMI CEC off.

The Xbox One outputs Dolby Atmos over LPCM, aka "Dolby MAT" (Dolby Metadata-enhanced Audio Transmission). This is was a surprise to me as it doesn't resemble what I would normally think of as 'bitstreaming'. It also makes it hard to tell if your content or game is actually outputting Dolby Atmos.

-
Xbox One S

Last edited by grolschie; 07-11-2019 at 11:38 AM.
post #2713 of 2731 Old 07-10-2019, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
The Xbox One outputs Dolby Atmos over LPCM, aka "Dolby MAT" (Dolby Metadata-enhanced Audio Transmission). This is was a surprise to me as it doesn't resemble what I would normally think of as 'bitstreaming'. It also makes it hard to tell if your content or game is actually outputting Dolby Atmos.
If the AVR gets confused whether it is receiving Dolby MAT or TrueHD, then your incoming HDMI signal must have errors. Sony is usually very strict with following the format specs. Same can be seen when trying TrueHD from MKV file.
Incidentally, appleTV also outputs Atmos via MAT and I have never seen the 1080 display anything but Dolby Atmos - Linear PCM 7.1 (or 5.1). It never mistakes it for TrueHD. Exactly same can be said about receiving Atmos from my UHD Bluray player.
Atmos can be delivered in 3 formats: TrueHD (lossless audio), Dolby Digital Plus (lossy audio) and PCM/MAT (already decoded audio). Hence the latter is not bitstreaming, as the audio information has already been decoded to PCM. Objects and metadata are still included as in other two formats.
How exactly, I don't know, as there is no technical info anywhere to find about how this MAT output works.
post #2714 of 2731 Old 07-10-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Quote:
If the AVR gets confused whether it is receiving Dolby MAT or TrueHD, then your incoming HDMI signal must have errors. Sony is usually very strict with following the format specs. Same can be seen when trying TrueHD from MKV file.
Incidentally, appleTV also outputs Atmos via MAT and I have never seen the 1080 display anything but Dolby Atmos - Linear PCM 7.1 (or 5.1). It never mistakes it for TrueHD. Exactly same can be said about receiving Atmos from my UHD Bluray player.
Atmos can be delivered in 3 formats: TrueHD (lossless audio), Dolby Digital Plus (lossy audio) and PCM/MAT (already decoded audio). Hence the latter is not bitstreaming, as the audio information has already been decoded to PCM. Objects and metadata are still included as in other two formats.
How exactly, I don't know, as there is no technical info anywhere to find about how this MAT output works.
True. My Xbox One S never causes "Dolby True HD" to appear, but then again I don't watch Blu-Ray's with it, just games and apps. When playing Dolby Atmos content the AVR display remains as it was when Xbox was booting up, i.e. Dolby Atmos Linear PCM... , DAtmos, etc.

-
Xbox One S

Last edited by grolschie; 07-11-2019 at 11:35 AM.
post #2715 of 2731 Old 07-11-2019, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
True. My Xbox One S never causes "Dolby True HD" to appear, but then again I don't watch Blu-Ray's with it, just games and apps. When playing Dolby Atmos content the AVR display remains as it was when Xbox was booting up, i.e. Dolby Atmos Linear PCM... , DAtmos, etc.
Off topic. @grolschie : what are you using to make these posts as all of your letter "s" show as "& # 115" without the spaces. Does not matter which of the 3 Windows web browsers I try. Is there something you can change at your end?
post #2716 of 2731 Old 07-11-2019, 11:32 AM

Egad! I'm just typing using Chrome on Android and the forum software must be doing this.

Edit:
It's a known issue. See here.

Thanks for the heads up. I have gone back and fixed my posts.

-
Xbox One S

Last edited by grolschie; 07-11-2019 at 02:10 PM.
post #2717 of 2731 Old 07-12-2019, 06:25 AM

iOS App Power Button

Hello, I am contemplating purchasing the STR-DN1080 as a replacement for an old Yamaha RX-V673 (fried board).

My speakers consist of a Zaph Audio based 5.1 home cinema setup in the basement and 2 older Sony 6 ohm speakers as Zone 2 in the living room. I understood from reviews and forums that the STR-DN1080 is more than capable of driving all this.

However, since the remote stays in the basement, I am hoping you could confirm whether I can turn the receiver On and Off througn the iOS app.
post #2718 of 2731 Old 07-12-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_G View Post
Hello, I am contemplating purchasing the STR-DN1080 as a replacement for an old Yamaha RX-V673 (fried board).

My speakers consist of a Zaph Audio based 5.1 home cinema setup in the basement and 2 older Sony 6 ohm speakers as Zone 2 in the living room. I understood from reviews and forums that the STR-DN1080 is more than capable of driving all this.

However, since the remote stays in the basement, I am hoping you could confirm whether I can turn the receiver On and Off througn the iOS app.
If the Sony 'Music Center' app on iOS is the same as the Android version, then yes. I don't see why it shouldn't be. The European model STR-DN1080 however doesn't have the ability to turn on via WiFi however. US and APAC models do though.

-
Xbox One S
post #2719 of 2731 Old 07-13-2019, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
The European model STR-DN1080 however doesn't have the ability to turn on via WiFi however. US and APAC models do though.
That’s the thing! If you are in EU and get that model, it will be missing the wake-up-over-network feature.
This AVR also has a feature whereby a Bluetooth device should be able to turn it on (also on EU model), but I have yet to find an app that’d do that. Music Center does not seem to be one of them.
As remote you could also use Video & TV SideView: Remote by Sony Home Entertainment & Sound Products Inc.
post #2720 of 2731 Old 07-13-2019, 01:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
I just picked up this receiver for my 3.1 system and I have questions regarding calibration. When I run the auto calibration, its picking up my center channel as being 27 feet away, when its actually only about 9 feet away. The left, right and sub are somewhat accurate (about 1-2 feet over the actual distance). Should I manually adjust the distances to the actual measured distance?
post #2721 of 2731 Old 07-13-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
That’s the thing! If you are in EU and get that model, it will be missing the wake-up-over-network feature.
This AVR also has a feature whereby a Bluetooth device should be able to turn it on (also on EU model), but I have yet to find an app that’d do that. Music Center does not seem to be one of them.
As remote you could also use Video & TV SideView: Remote by Sony Home Entertainment & Sound Products Inc.
Interestingly, my Amazon Echo Dot 3 can turn it on via Bluetooth by saying "Alexa, connect to Bluetooth" so I'm guessing other paired devices could do the same. You need to set the Bluetooth Standby option in the receiver.

-
Xbox One S
post #2722 of 2731 Old 07-13-2019, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I just picked up this receiver for my 3.1 system and I have questions regarding calibration. When I run the auto calibration, its picking up my center channel as being 27 feet away, when its actually only about 9 feet away. The left, right and sub are somewhat accurate (about 1-2 feet over the actual distance). Should I manually adjust the distances to the actual measured distance?
Try a few times? Speaker is directly facing your seating position?.Manual measurement might be the go, but I'm not sure how that'll affect the calculated room correction. Possibly the speaker is reflecting off things.

-
Xbox One S
post #2723 of 2731 Old 07-13-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Try a few times? Speaker is directly facing your seating position?.Manual measurement might be the go, but I'm not sure how that'll affect the calculated room correction. Possibly the speaker is reflecting off things.
I have a 5.1.2 system, and the calibration with the included microphone was bad for me as well. I have a vaulted ceiling, so I'm sure that's some of it. But I had the same issues - speakers were 20 feet away when they were only about 6 feet away. And it was usually the surrounds or ATMOS speakers. Center and fronts it was pretty close. But the others were bad, maybe because they were elevated.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #2724 of 2731 Old 07-14-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:

I did and unfortunately it keeps reading approximately at 27 feet. I wonder if it’s better to manually adjust it to 8 feet or if I should keep it at 27 feet.
post #2725 of 2731 Old 07-14-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I did and unfortunately it keeps reading approximately at 27 feet. I wonder if it’s better to manually adjust it to 8 feet or if I should keep it at 27 feet.
Perhaps try manually setting it. The AVR will most likely add delays based on distance to make sure the sound reaches the seated position at the the same time for all speakers.

-
Xbox One S
post #2726 of 2731 Old 07-14-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
If the Sony 'Music Center' app on iOS is the same as the Android version, then yes. I don't see why it shouldn't be. The European model STR-DN1080 however doesn't have the ability to turn on via WiFi however. US and APAC models do though.
Ah! So the Music Center app is the one to use. I looked for the power button in the 'AV Receiver Remote' but did not think of downloading the 'Music Center' app. Thank you.
post #2727 of 2731 Old 07-15-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 60
It's been awhile since I visited this thread.
I recently picked up 4k UHD with DTS:X and remember instructions to set my Atmos speakers to Top instead of Front in order to get it to work.

I had my ear up to the speakers at multiple times and heard zero information.

Is there something I am missing or does the receiver refuse to work with DTS:X in a 5.2 setup?
post #2728 of 2731 Old 07-15-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post
It's been awhile since I visited this thread.
I recently picked up 4k UHD with DTS:X and remember instructions to set my Atmos speakers to Top instead of Front in order to get it to work.

I had my ear up to the speakers at multiple times and heard zero information.

Is there something I am missing or does the receiver refuse to work with DTS:X in a 5.2 setup?
Height speakers must be set to "FH" regardless of their type or location for them to be active with DTS:X content, unfortunately.

-
Xbox One S
post #2729 of 2731 Old 07-16-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Height speakers must be set to "FH" regardless of their type or location for them to be active with DTS:X content, unfortunately.
Thanks, I will try that. I think I had them set to TD, the graphic looks similar to FH, I think.

-Update. Tested last night and I got audio from my Atmos speakers. Thanks for the help.
Now I have to remember to change it back.

Last edited by Doug Schiller; 07-18-2019 at 12:28 PM.
post #2730 of 2731 Old 07-19-2019, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post
Quote:
Thanks, I will try that. I think I had them set to TD, the graphic looks similar to FH, I think.

-Update. Tested last night and I got audio from my Atmos speakers. Thanks for the help.
Now I have to remember to change it back. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
You might want to check that your front speaker size setting doesn't change from "small" to "large" (if you have them set to "small" as per conventional home theatre wisdom, even with large floorstander&#115 when changing your height speaker setting. Mine does that, which is annoying.

If you can't tell any difference between the height speaker settings when playing Dolby Atmos content you could always leave it set to "FH" permanently.

-
Xbox One S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page