Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR - Page 92 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2211Likes

post #2731 of 2827 Old 07-20-2019, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rear channels forced to split between Surround & Surround Back with quad/5.1 tracks?

Basic question: with a standard 7.1 speaker install, on quadraphonic or 5.1 tracks, the STR-DN1080 splits what should be discrete rear Surround channels between the Surround and Surround Back speakers, whether in Direct, A.F.D., or PureDirect modes (signal is HDMI-input to SA-CD/CD in quad/5.1 format from foobar/VLC). Is there a setting to change this (without resetting the 7.1 speaker assignment) that I'm overlooking, or is this behavior a limitation of the receiver?

Edit: this from p49 of the User Manual may go some way to explaining that it's forced; but the behavior remains in all multi-channel modes not just Direct:
Depending on the audio format, if you select [Direct] and play a 5.1ch source when surround speakers and two
surround back speakers are connected, the same audio as that from surround speakers will be output from
surround back speakers, similar to that of a 7.1ch surround system. The sound level of surround and surround
back speakers are adjusted automatically for optimum balance.

Would be nice to disable this action for 4/5-channel playback but retain the 7.1 assignment for times of 7-channel playback.

Last edited by zeke7; 07-20-2019 at 03:25 PM. Reason: addenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 2827 Old 07-23-2019, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi. Has anyone recently measured the power consumption of the STR-DN1080 when on standby? And when idle? Especially with various settings enabled and disabled (e.g. "Network Standby", "Remote Start", HDMI "Standby Through", Bluetooth on/off", etc)?

It would seem that this receiver uses a lot more power than the specs state when on standby. If anyone has an accurate way to measure this, it would be very interesting, please.

-
StrRemote Pro for Sony STR-DN1080 (Android) |
Sony STR-DN1080 | Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 |
Xbox One S
post #2733 of 2827 Old 07-24-2019, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a weird issue that Sony was unable to provide a solution for.
When accessing the AVR's IP in my browser (from a PC in the same LAN with the AVR, both devices wired to the router), I get the AVR's configuration page, but it only has one entry - the Airplay menu. Everything else is missing!
i.imgur.com/oEWNL4i.png
I own the EU model, with latest software update.

I've been trying several troubleshooting steps:
- tried from other browsers, incognito mode - same result
- tried from another pc on the network - same result
- done a factory reset on the AVR - same result
- disable windows firewall - same result

Anyone encountered this issue or have any idea what could be the issue here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2734 of 2827 Old 07-24-2019, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeveren View Post
I have a weird issue that Sony was unable to provide a solution for.
When accessing the AVR's IP in my browser (from a PC in the same LAN with the AVR, both devices wired to the router), I get the AVR's configuration page, but it only has one entry - the Airplay menu. Everything else is missing!
i.imgur.com/oEWNL4i.png
I own the EU model, with latest software update.

I've been trying several troubleshooting steps:
- tried from other browsers, incognito mode - same result
- tried from another pc on the network - same result
- done a factory reset on the AVR - same result
- disable windows firewall - same result

Daeveren,

I'm in the U.S. and have the same exact issue. Hitting my receiver's IP via browser and all I get is the Airplay menu.

I'd like to find the fix as well.
post #2735 of 2827 Old 07-24-2019, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ok, I feel stupid about asking this, but I just cannot figure it out.

Is there a way to plug banana plugs into the AVR terminals? Currently, my banana plug won't go into the hole, and I'm hesitant to push harder.

I checked YouTube and saw there is a lug for Yamaha AVRs, but it doesn't appear there's a lug to pull out on the Sony.

Can someone confirm whether and how banana plugs hook into this AVR? Thanks
post #2736 of 2827 Old 07-24-2019, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 283
My DN1070 recently died with a Do Not Resuscitate order.

I use a pair of srs-zr7 wireless speakers as the rears using the Wireless Surround function on the DN1070. I can't find an answer, does the DN1080 support the use of my srs-zr7's as wireless rears?

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #2737 of 2827 Old 07-24-2019, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Why do you think that is an issue and needs to be fixed?
Besides AirPlay this page allows you to upload new firmware into DN1080.
But I’ve never come to think that there needs to be more.
DN1080 is also not marketed as the installer-device, so maybe the ES model(s) have full HTTP configurability.
post #2738 of 2827 Old 07-25-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post

Is there a way to plug banana plugs into the AVR terminals? Currently, my banana plug won't go into the hole, and I'm hesitant to push harder.

I checked YouTube and saw there is a lug for Yamaha AVRs, but it doesn't appear there's a lug to pull out on the Sony.

Yes, banana plugs work with this AVR, just push a little harder.
post #2739 of 2827 Old 07-26-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Quote:
Why do you think that is an issue and needs to be fixed?
Exactly. It probably has been like a minimal implementation from the get-go. I only discovered this config page recently. I'm presuming it's by design.

It's been quite a while since we had any new firmware, so I doubt this config page will change. There are bigger problems with this model that need to be addressed, in my opinion.

-
Xbox One S
post #2740 of 2827 Old 07-26-2019, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grolschie View Post
It's been quite a while since we had any new firmware, so I doubt this config page will change. There are bigger problems with this model that need to be addressed, in my opinion.
I’ve known about that page for quite a while and it has not changed a bit through the FW versions.
Curious : what problems do you see on the receiver that need urgent mending?
Not re-loading the calibration type after boot-up is the one I can think of.
post #2741 of 2827 Old 07-26-2019, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I’ve known about that page for quite a while and it has not changed a bit through the FW versions.
Curious : what problems do you see on the receiver that need urgent mending?
Not re-loading the calibration type after boot-up is the one I can think of.
* When using the built-in Chromecast Audio device, available sound fields are limited to 2ch or Multi Stereo. However, a Sony staff member told me that under the hood the Chromecast Audio is used to play Spotify:Connect. Yet, Spotify:Connect on this receiver isn't limited to just those 2 sound fields. So it would appear that this flaw could possibly be fixed.

* Input switching speed.

* UI speed.

* Extremely underwhelming Internet "Music Service" selection. No vTuner or Tune-In, for example.

* Power consumption on 'network standby'.

* lag / lipsync via HDMI ARC and optical.

* the HDMI CEC woes that people have.

I'm not saying all these can be remedied by firmware, but if code optimizations might improve these somewhat, I'd like to see some improvements.

-
Xbox One S
post #2742 of 2827 Old 07-26-2019, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post

I used the Amazon Basics banana plugs.
You just have to push a little harder. They will compress and go into the hole.

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #2743 of 2827 Old 07-26-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

I'm not saying all these can be remedied by firmware, but if code optimizations might improve these somewhat, I'd like to see some improvements.
Yes! I thought it was just me and my TV that had lipsync issues via HDMI ARC, but "glad" to see it's not just me. And I have a Sony TV and Sony speakers, so they can't blame the issue on a competitor's product in the loop. I've tried adjusting settings on the TV, but nothing seemed to work. I'd love this to get fixed. I've learned to put it out of my mind, but with my Xfinity service it's sometimes really bad, with a half sec delay that irks me.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #2744 of 2827 Old 07-26-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
Quote:

Yes! I thought it was just me and my TV that had lipsync issues via HDMI ARC, but "glad" to see it's not just me. And I have a Sony TV and Sony speakers, so they can't blame the issue on a competitor's product in the loop. I've tried adjusting settings on the TV, but nothing seemed to work. I'd love this to get fixed. I've learned to put it out of my mind, but with my Xfinity service it's sometimes really bad, with a half sec delay that irks me.
Have you tried contacting Sony tech support since both devices are Sony?

-
Xbox One S
post #2745 of 2827 Old 07-27-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
* When using the built-in Chromecast Audio device, available sound fields are limited to 2ch or Multi Stereo. However, a Sony staff member told me that under the hood the Chromecast Audio is used to play Spotify:Connect. Yet, Spotify:Connect on this receiver isn't limited to just those 2 sound fields. So it would appear that this flaw could possibly be fixed.

* Input switching speed.

* UI speed.

* Extremely underwhelming Internet "Music Service" selection. No vTuner or Tune-In, for example.

* Power consumption on 'network standby'.
Apparently my usecases are that much different, that I do not care about most of these. UI speed is the only one I'd love to see improved. Not only speed, the functionality as well. Minimally, I'd like to see which speaker signals is the AVR decoding and amplifying. That would at least beef up the useless OSD with just an input name and icon. Seems that this is something Sony reserves as competitive advantage for ES models. (not sure about OSD, but the info is at least on the front panel display).
Power consumption I am about to measure, I will report my findings here then. But that's also something that does not worry me a bit. On the EU model I have, there is no network standby functionality anyway.
Quote:
Quote:

In what usecases do you need ARC? I honestly have no use for it, so I can't comment much about possible lipsync issues there. I've tried the internal Video player (watched a lot of UHD/HDR and some Atmos demos), but do not recall any issues with lipsync.
The CEC woes are more complicated issue. I am all Sony (+ apple TV +Arris set-top-box) and the only thing I had to put down from CEC has been Arris. But because CEC controller/hub is the TV, not AVR, I'd attribute most of the issues to CEC handling in Sony's Android TV implementation.

Last edited by priitv8; 07-27-2019 at 12:39 AM.
post #2746 of 2827 Old 07-27-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
In what usecases do you need ARC? I honestly have no use for it, so I can't comment much about possible lipsync issues there. I've tried the internal Video player (watched a lot of UHD/HDR and some Atmos demos), but do not recall any issues with lipsync.
For me, DVB-T was the issue. Obviously the TV would somehow need to delay the image to match the audio delay of the Sony AVR, which isn't likely. There's a very slight delay with optical, an issue my old Onkyo HTiaB never had.

Quote:
Power consumption I am about to measure, I will report my findings here then. But that's also something that does not worry me a bit. On the EU model I have, there is no network standby functionality anyway.
There is actually a way to enable it on EU models, it turns out. But power consumption and heat on standby jumps up a lot.

-
Xbox One S
post #2747 of 2827 Old 07-27-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
There is actually a way to enable it on EU models, it turns out. But power consumption and heat on standby jumps up a lot.
Alright. Haven't figured it out. Haven't tried either.
I tried to measure the power consumption on mine, my Eve Energy is unable to register the standby consumption, I conclude it must be below 0,01Wh. I am unable to find any specs of the device that would list its minimum energy measurement threshold as well.
Clarification to the attached chart - the higher leftmost bars indicate my total consumption of whole AV entertainment center. The eve energy is normally connected before the UPS.
For this case I moved it downstream to just before the DN1080 so the rightmost lower bars reflect only AVR's consumption.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1677.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	2595138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-07-27 at 14.50.14.png
Views:	28
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	2595146  

Last edited by priitv8; 07-27-2019 at 04:54 AM.
post #2748 of 2827 Old 07-27-2019, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
STR-DN1070 Sub 2 Setup Problem

I have a str-dn1070 wired 3.2 (FL,C,FR,Sub1,Sub2) the sub outputs are going to a nx3000d but my sub 2 is producing like 10% of the output that my sub1. Both subs are the same, gains, and filters are the same. I thought maybe it was something with the setup in the receiver menu and that's were I could not figure out how to set it up in 3.2. there doesn't appear to be an option in the menu. Any ideas, what am I missing?

---Edit---

Just in case others read the above earlier I decided not to delete and just edit my findings. I think the 2 sub outs are just the same output and therefore just acts as a dual out and as far as I can tell are working fine. I swapped all the connections and everything is working by itself except for channel B output from the amp so I will repost this in the Behringer nx1/3/6000d thread.

Last edited by Monstrosity; 07-27-2019 at 06:09 PM.
post #2749 of 2827 Old 07-27-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstrosity View Post
I think the 2 sub outs are just the same output and therefore just acts as a dual out and as far as I can tell are working fine.
As far as I can tell (I only have the schematics for DN1060), these outputs are simply connected in parallel to a single LFE output from DSP. I don't think this receiver is able to individually decode the LFE2 channel, if at all.
post #2750 of 2827 Old 07-28-2019, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstrosity View Post
I have a str-dn1070 wired 3.2 (FL,C,FR,Sub1,Sub2) the sub outputs are going to a nx3000d but my sub 2 is producing like 10% of the output that my sub1. Both subs are the same, gains, and filters are the same. I thought maybe it was something with the setup in the receiver menu and that's were I could not figure out how to set it up in 3.2. there doesn't appear to be an option in the menu. Any ideas, what am I missing?

---Edit---

Just in case others read the above earlier I decided not to delete and just edit my findings. I think the 2 sub outs are just the same output and therefore just acts as a dual out and as far as I can tell are working fine. I swapped all the connections and everything is working by itself except for channel B output from the amp so I will repost this in the Behringer nx1/3/6000d thread.
As @priitv8 stated the two connections are wired in parallel. You said that you swapped the connections, so just for clarity you plugged the cable from sub1 into the port for sub2 and the same with the other cable, and the other sub was now lower volume. This would eliminate the cable and the sub from being the problem. If so there is something really strange and the DN1080 must be defective. Get it replaced/repaired. Alternatively get a Y splitter and use just sub1 port and connect the two sub cables to it.
post #2751 of 2827 Old 07-28-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
No, I haven't tried. I'll give it a go, but won't get my hopes up.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #2752 of 2827 Old 07-28-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
No, I haven't tried. I'll give it a go, but won't get my hopes up.
Once they run out of ideas, you might want to ask them to escalate your case. The tedious part will be the initial troubleshooting steps.

-
Xbox One S
post #2753 of 2827 Old 07-28-2019, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
As @priitv8 stated the two connections are wired in parallel. You said that you swapped the connections, so just for clarity you plugged the cable from sub1 into the port for sub2 and the same with the other cable, and the other sub was now lower volume. This would eliminate the cable and the sub from being the problem. If so there is something really strange and the DN1080 must be defective. Get it replaced/repaired. Alternatively get a Y splitter and use just sub1 port and connect the two sub cables to it.
Thanks for the reply, I was able to prove that both sub outs work. I have a $10 amp powered with a 60w psu and by using it along with channel A on the behringer nx3000d both subs work. I believe the problem to be something with my amp. I can't get channel B to output any thing above 65dB. In summary, I have verified the receiver and the subs work, it is something to do with the amp. What is interesting is the DSP software has an output signal showing equal output activity as channel A but from a SPL perspective it is operating at like 10%.

Also, what I don't understand is channel A doesn't seem to be as loud as i thought it should be considering that $10 60w amp seems to be louder than the nx3000d with everything the same, I've swapped wires sub out everything to make sure it wasn't just one sub or wire that was 'better'. the $10 amp is outperforming channel A on the nx3000d and channel B doesn't seem to be worth $0.02
post #2754 of 2827 Old 07-28-2019, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Hi. Has anyone recently measured the power consumption of the STR-DN1080 when on standby? And when idle? Especially with various settings enabled and disabled (e.g. "Network Standby", "Remote Start", HDMI "Standby Through", Bluetooth on/off", etc)?

It would seem that this receiver uses a lot more power than the specs state when on standby. If anyone has an accurate way to measure this, it would be very interesting, please.
I can't find my measurements, but I recall seeing about 20W on my Kill-a-Watt when on network standby, and it dropped to maybe 4W with that off. I don't have anything else on except for CEC so my TV can turn it on.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #2755 of 2827 Old 07-28-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan55 View Post
Quote:

I can't find my measurements, but I recall seeing about 20W on my Kill-a-Watt when on network standby, and it dropped to maybe 4W with that off. I don't have anything else on except for CEC so my TV can turn it on.
Thanks for that. Unreal. That is so much higher than the published specs. Clearly, they know the specs of 1.5w in Network Standby mode are bogus because they don't have this feature on EU models because network standby needs to be below 13w.

Have you tested Remote Start mode as well?

-
Xbox One S
post #2756 of 2827 Old 07-28-2019, 04:39 PM

My APAC region STR-DN1080 consumes 31 - 34.5 watts with Network Standby enabled. 2.5 watts with Remote Start enabled instead.

Bluetooth is enabled. And HDMI Pass Through is disabled. Edit: both WiFi and Ethernet are the same!

WTF! The specs on the Sony website say 1.5w with Network Standby enabled!

-
Xbox One S

Last edited by grolschie; 07-28-2019 at 09:15 PM.
post #2757 of 2827 Old 07-29-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan55 View Post
Quote:
Hi. Has anyone recently measured the power consumption of the STR-DN1080 when on standby?
Is there any chance you would consider lodging a support ticket with Sony please? The more of us doing so, the more chance of hopefully Sony looking into why it's massively higher than the 1.5 watts in the product specifications. Hopefully the cases can be escalated.

-
Xbox One S
post #2758 of 2827 Old 07-30-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorban View Post
Hello, friends.

When auto calibrating, at the very end, it asked if I wanted to enable "calibration matching". I'm not completely sure what it does, but I disabled it. I'd like to easily test the setting on and off. Is there a way to change this setting without going through the calibration routine again? I don't see it anywhere in the settings and the online manual is no help.
Hi guys. Has anyone A-B'ed/tested the "Calibration Matching" setting that you get at the end of calibration? It's only offered at that point.

Ref: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home...g/td-p/2637601

Step 7 here:
https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn1...001221205.html

From Sony's docs:
"When [Do you want to activate Calibration Matching?] appears on the screen, select
[Yes] or [No].
Yes: Expands the sweet spot for the viewing position and allows you to enjoy more
natural sound by trimming the wavefront for each pair of left/right speakers.
No: The measurement results of the Auto Calibration function are applied directly."

Also explained at the bottom of this page:
https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strza3...000526299.html

-
Xbox One S

Last edited by grolschie; 07-30-2019 at 06:24 PM.
post #2759 of 2827 Old 08-04-2019, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 5
It seems like out of no where some of my inputs stopped working, I have a Chromecast 4k and Xbox one S connected to these inputs and it seems like the receiver is only showing black screen whenever they are power on.

It use to work fine a before, and I haven't touched the settings in a while...

Has this happened to anyone before?

(BTW already tried connecting the devices to different inputs and they work fine)

Update:

After unplugging the receiver from the outlet for a few minutes, one of the inputs started working again but the other one remains the same...

So I tried factory reset and nothing... I guess somehow that input was damage... My receiver is connected to a Belkin surge protector so I'm not sure how this happened... Hopefully the warranty covers this.

Last edited by snowekim; 08-04-2019 at 11:28 AM.
post #2760 of 2827 Old 08-04-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Hi guys. Has anyone A-B'ed/tested the "Calibration Matching" setting that you get at the end of calibration? It's only offered at that point.
I don't find the link at the moment, but someone reported that the feature does not work after power on and had made measurements of these effects.
I copied his graphs, so I dare to post one of them here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190530-201657__01.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	607.5 KB
ID:	2598664  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , back speakers no sound , dolby atmos , harmony , receiver advice , receiver setup , remote , Sony , str-dn1080 , sync , television , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page