AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   Owner's thread for the Sony STR-DN1080 AVR (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2783521-owners-thread-sony-str-dn1080-avr.html)

Fachasaurus 05-29-2017 09:30 AM

I read some review on Amazon that claimed that this receiver didn't have a way of showing on screen or on the units display the kind of audio/video you're playing at the time. Usually like on the remote you can press the "display" or "info" button and it would pop with the input and source and output information at the current moment.

Is this true?

pL4tiNumfi5t 05-31-2017 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nunavut (Post 53284354)
Sony Japan's page for the STR-DN1080 shows it does support Dolby Vision!

"* Responding to Dolby Vision (TM) will be supported by software update after autumn of 2017"

Welcomed news if it holds true. I haven't been able to find a new Google Cast receiver with Dolby Vision compatibility less than 6.8in tall & I'm currently height restricted with my entertainment center.

jdsmoothie 05-31-2017 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pL4tiNumfi5t (Post 53332106)
"* Responding to Dolby Vision (TM) will be supported by software update after autumn of 2017"

Welcomed news if it holds true. I haven't been able to find a new Google Cast receiver with Dolby Vision compatibility less than 6.8in tall & I'm currently height restricted with my entertainment center.

Regardless of what model AVR you purchase, for proper ventilation you'll want either 3-4" clearance above the AVR with open front/back or to add one or two PC fans to exhaust the air away from the top of the AVR.

bluebaron 06-08-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pL4tiNumfi5t (Post 53332106)

True. It definitely says that a DV update will be coming out on the Japanese site. I wonder why it's not mentioned over here.

JoopE 06-20-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebaron (Post 53519729)
True. It definitely says that a DV update will be coming out on the Japanese site. I wonder why it's not mentioned over here.

I checked this today on the dutch site, and also see it on sony.com now:

Quote:

Latest HDR standards such as HDR10, HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma), and Dolby Vision™ are supported.
A footnote is included:

Quote:

The software update for Dolby Vision is planned for Fall 2017 onwards.

PS. After 9 years I thought this was a good reason to finally make a first post... ;)

Chris Salazar 06-27-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoopE (Post 53770041)
I checked this today on the dutch site, and also see it on sony.com now:

A footnote is included:

PS. After 9 years I thought this was a good reason to finally make a first post... ;)

I own this receiver and I'll confirm that on NETFLIX, I'm getting Dolby Vision. Definitely like the receiver, although I am getting a handshake issue with Chromecast Ultra. Going to buy another Chromecast and try it out - hopefully it's just a faulty Chromecast and not the receiver.

Chromecast works fine - just not Ultra.

ROMIL 06-28-2017 05:55 AM

Awesome to hear DV is or will be supported now! I can get this receiver for $440 with no tax and free shipping from Military Exchange online, so I will probably pull the trigger on it.

ROMIL 07-01-2017 06:33 AM

This is currently on sale at the Military Exchange online for $479 (was $520). With no tax, free shipping, and a 17% off coupon if you create a new account, that brings the out-the-door price to $398. Almost $150 savings over brick and mortar stores when you factor in tax.

Chuck_IV 07-01-2017 08:42 PM

I picked one of these up the other day and I gotta say, I love the thing. I had a Denon X2000 since 2013 and was looking for something to handle Atmos and DTS:X. I was stuck between the X2300 and this. I've had a love/dislike relationship with my X2000 over the years, so I wanted to see what else was out there. After reading some of the rave reviews of the 1080 and thinking that this was a newer model vs the X2300 now being last year's model, I took a bit of a gample(in my mind) and went with the Sony.

So far, I am extremely impressed with the thing. The sound is crisp and detailed and it really surprised me that is sounded so good, more so than my X2000. It's loaded with options as well. I know some say they don;t care for the Sony auto calibration but compared to my X2000, it was more accurate on determining the speaker distances and adjustments it came up with. It also didn't load me up with phase errors which used to annoy me with the Denon. I don't know if Denon finally understood with their newer models that with TV audio via either optical or ARC just needed AUDIO to be changed and not the video, but the Sony does this right. On my X2000, when the ARC would kick in or I'd force it to TV audio(via optical) it would also unnecessarily change the video feed so I would just see a Denon logo. The Sony is smart enough to leave the video alone and just change the audio(even my 2013 Yamaha RV-V675 was smart enough to not change the video).

There are some things that do turn me off a bit and I may miss from Denon. Namely, the amount of HDMI ports. Denon gives you 8 vs 6 but I only use 6 currently. What did annoy me a bit was finding out, after I bought this was that only 5 of the 6 ports support 4:4:4(video1 does not). Why they would do this, I don't know. I hope this will be an issue down the line. Another thing is the lack of individual volume level adjustments on each input. I was very surprised Sony doesn't include this. The last thing that is annoying is the volume delay. When you press the volume up/down, it first displays you currently volume, then after a couple seconds will start to change the volume instead of reacting like everything else and promptly changing the volume immediately.

Otherwise, I am very happy with the sound and this should outweigh the small issues I have with it.

As a note, I have a Tivo Roamio, Sony X800 4K Bly-Ray player, NVidia Shield(2017 model), PS4 Pro, Roku 3 and a PCH A210 hooked up to the thing. With the NVidia Shield able to bitstream the HighDef audio via Plex, the PCH A210 may not be necessary anymore though.

Chuck_IV 07-02-2017 09:43 AM

So with this receiver, Sony supposedly optimizes a couple of the HDMI ports for audio(the BD and the SACD ports). I don't know if this is the cause of it but my NVidia Shield does not like it when it is plugged into the SACD port. I get audio dropouts when streaming and I noticed a wierd flash when videos start. I moved the Shield to the CATV port and put my Tivo on the SACD port and now everything is perfect. It makes me wonder though if this "optimization" will cause issues with other devices down the road.

This and Video1 not able to do 4:4:4 is making me rethink my purchase.

ROMIL 07-02-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck_IV (Post 54010609)
So with this receiver, Sony supposedly optimizes a couple of the HDMI ports for audio(the BD and the SACD ports). I don't know if this is the cause of it but my NVidia Shield does not like it when it is plugged into the SACD port. I get audio dropouts when streaming and I noticed a wierd flash when videos start. I moved the Shield to the CATV port and put my Tivo on the SACD port and now everything is perfect. It makes me wonder though if this "optimization" will cause issues with other devices down the road.

This and Video1 not able to do 4:4:4 is making me rethink my purchase.

This is great info. I have my 1080 inbound in the mail. I only have an XBox One and PS4 to connect initially and will be streaming 4K using my inbound 940E's built-in apps, but I do plan on upgrading to PS4 Pro and XBox One X. I wish there was an external streaming device that did 4K with HDR10 and DV support for Amazon, Netflix and Hulu, but I don't believe that exists... unless I am mistaken. From what I hear, trying to use the 940E's built-in apps may be painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck_IV 07-02-2017 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROMIL (Post 54011081)
This is great info. I have my 1080 inbound in the mail. I only have an XBox One and PS4 to connect initially and will be streaming 4K using my inbound 940E's built-in apps, but I do plan on upgrading to PS4 Pro and XBox One X. I wish there was an external streaming device that did 4K with HDR10 and DV support for Amazon, Netflix and Hulu, but I don't believe that exists... unless I am mistaken. From what I hear, trying to use the 940E's built-in apps may be painful.

Agreed on the streaming device. Seems like they all lack something. With my Samsung TV apps, Netflix/Amazon and Youtube all do 4k and HDR, while Vudu does 4k. However, Hulu drags it down since it doesn't do any type of 4k at all(it only does it on PS4 Pro and XBox One S). Plus, none can do anything above DD5.1 due to ARC/Optical limitations. And the Plex app isn't very powerful on my Samsung. So that is why I went with the NVidia Shield. It seems the closest to being perfect but again falls short. Netflix and Amazon both do 4K HDR, plus with pump out hi res audio when available. Vudu also does 4K and Dolby Atmos audio. Also, the Plex app is phenominal on the Shield, plus it can double as a Plex server. But then it is dragged down again by not only Hulu but also Youtube since Youtube can't do HDR on the Shield(it does do 4K).It is frustrating.

The capabilities of the NVidia shield are what prompted me to buy the Sony 1080. I was looking for more than what my TV apps could generate.

nek 07-04-2017 04:32 PM

Asynchronous USB ??

Seems pretty vague - is the front usb port asynchronous then?

Chuck_IV 07-06-2017 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nek (Post 54055921)
Seems pretty vague - is the front usb port asynchronous then?

Honest question, why would you need it to be asynchronous?

As a side note to the rest of the thread, I am keeping the Sony. I picked up a Denon X2300w the other day, thinking I'd like that better. However, after using the Sony for a week, I prefer how Sony does things vs. the Denon. Both have great sound though after calibration.

If I need more HDMI ports, there are 2.0a switches out there that can be added.

nek 07-06-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck_IV (Post 54087209)
Honest question, why would you need it to be asynchronous?

As a side note to the rest of the thread, I am keeping the Sony. I picked up a Denon X2300w the other day, thinking I'd like that better. However, after using the Sony for a week, I prefer how Sony does things vs. the Denon. Both have great sound though after calibration.

If I need more HDMI ports, there are 2.0a switches out there that can be added.

A direct wired connection to my iMac sending high resolution files ?

ROMIL 07-06-2017 04:42 PM

Sony Announces Pricing and Availability for STR-DN1080 AVR

Just got my 1080 in the mail. Hooked it up to my Sony 940E via the ARC HDMI ports on both the TV and receiver. Using the TV's built-in apps, I was getting sound out of my surround system for a bit, then it just stopped and now I can't get it back. Muting is off. Sounds works fine from other inputs into the receiver.

I've updated the software on both devices, powered everything off and on, and I have the TV set to output sound via Receiver and HDMI Control turned on on the receiver. Not sure what is going on.

ROMIL 07-06-2017 07:31 PM

Think I figured it out (turning Bravia Sync on did the trick). Now I'm struggling to make the receiver go to the TV input for ARC when turning it and the TV on with my Harmony remote. It will go to TV initially, then switch to the SAT input where my XBox (which is turned off) is connected. About 50% of the time it will then go back to the TV input. The rest of the time it will stay on the SAT input for whatever reason. I'm not sure why it's going to the SAT input at all.

Chuck_IV 07-06-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROMIL (Post 54103017)
Think I figured it out (turning Bravia Sync on did the trick). Now I'm struggling to make the receiver go to the TV input for ARC when turning it and the TV on with my Harmony remote. It will go to TV initially, then switch to the SAT input where my XBox (which is turned off) is connected. About 50% of the time it will then go back to the TV input. The rest of the time it will stay on the SAT input for whatever reason. I'm not sure why it's going to the SAT input at all.

I had a bit of a fit with ARC and this receiver. When turning on the TV, it would goto the Sony HOME menu without setting up my remote to spam the Tivo input. Then what would happen to me was if I fired up an app on my TV(Samsung KS8000), the sound would switch over fine and the TV app would be heard and seen fine. However, when I would exit the TV's app, instead of going back to the input I was on, it would show it for a second then again bounce to the Sony HOME menu. I could not get it to stop doing that, no matter what I did. I finally cut my losses and ran an optical cable from the TV to the receiver and programmed my remote(URC MX-810) to manually swap to the TV audio when I pulled up the app menu on my TV. Then when I would exit, I'd have to select what activity I wanted to do next.

This type of weird behavior isn't exclusive to Sony. I know when I tried the Denon X2300(my prior X2000 was similar), no matter I did, when I turned on the TV, I'd end up on the NVidia Shield screen. So it's no different with other brands too.

crayz16 07-08-2017 06:49 AM

Sony STR-DN1080 with Bell Slim Remote

Hi all, first time poster here and hoping someone has experience with this.

My setup: LG UH5500 TV, Sony STR-DN1080 Receiver and Bell Fibe (Slim remote). I want to see if I can sync the Sony receiver to the Bell Fibe Slim remote. Anyone have any experience or advice before I resort grabbing a Harmony remote?

Anything is appreciated, thanks!

Chuck_IV 07-08-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayz16 (Post 54131761)
Hi all, first time poster here and hoping someone has experience with this.

My setup: LG UH5500 TV, Sony STR-DN1080 Receiver and Bell Fibe (Slim remote). I want to see if I can sync the Sony receiver to the Bell Fibe Slim remote. Anyone have any experience or advice before I resort grabbing a Harmony remote?

Anything is appreciated, thanks!

Unless your Bell Fiber remote can learn commands, I doubt you have much luck with syncing them beyond the power/volume/mute buttons. If you need more control than that, a Harmony 650 is the way to go. FYI, the 650 doesn't work with the Harmony hub as it is an IR only remote. It doesn't do RF.

Chuck_IV 07-09-2017 03:17 AM

Alright, this thing is again testing my patience and again making me rethink my purchase. I noticed that sometimes when it changes inputs, it is SLOW to change, with upwards of 10 seconds of blank screen and no sound before finally seeing a picture and then finally audio. Other times, I'll get a picture somewhat quickly buit the audio will take another 5 seconds to start coming through. I have tried to reproduce it but it is very inconsistent. Sometimes going to a specific input takes just a few seconds, but then the next time it may take upwards of 10 seconds. A couple times I though it had froze up or something, only to force a change to another input then back to the original one to get a picture. I have seen a few reviews mentioning the slowness, so it's not just me. I think this also goes along with the slow volume reactions too(which is getting more annoying as well).

With the Denon X3300 now coming way down in price to only $100 more then the Sony and the X3300 having the ability to do GUI over 4K, which was my major hangup with the X2300, I am thinking of going that route as I know what to expect from Denon(had an X2000 for 4+ years).

Selden Ball 07-09-2017 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck_IV (Post 54146769)
Alright, this thing is again testing my patience and again making me rethink my purchase. I noticed that sometimes when it changes inputs, it is SLOW to change, with upwards of 10 seconds of blank screen and no sound before finally seeing a picture and then finally audio. Other times, I'll get a picture somewhat quickly buit the audio will take another 5 seconds to start coming through. I have tried to reproduce it but it is very inconsistent. Sometimes going to a specific input takes just a few seconds, but then the next time it may take upwards of 10 seconds. A couple times I though it had froze up or something, only to force a change to another input then back to the original one to get a picture. I have seen a few reviews mentioning the slowness, so it's not just me. I think this also goes along with the slow volume reactions too(which is getting more annoying as well).

With the Denon X3300 now coming way down in price to only $100 more then the Sony and the X3300 having the ability to do GUI over 4K, which was my major hangup with the X2300, I am thinking of going that route as I know what to expect from Denon(had an X2000 for 4+ years).

Random delays in synchronization might be due to poorly performing HDMI cables. When HDMI signals are marginal, modern AV equipment can become, well, erratic. The usual recommendation is to use only "Certified Premium" cables. They're available from lots of companies and are no more expensive than the no-name "High Speed" cables but come with a certification tag.

Chuck_IV 07-09-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selden Ball (Post 54147657)
Random delays in synchronization might be due to poorly performing HDMI cables. When HDMI signals are marginal, modern AV equipment can become, well, erratic. The usual recommendation is to use only "Certified Premium" cables. They're available from lots of companies and are no more expensive than the no-name "High Speed" cables but come with a certification tag.

These are brand new SecurOMax cables(1 ft and 3ft versions) which have worked for me in the 15ft variety(before I had a 4K capable receiver).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For tests, I swapped them around to see if things would change but it didn't.

Venomnusss 07-11-2017 06:13 AM

Hi All,

Just purchased the 1080 to replace a Sony STR DG920..... I have it connected up to a 7.1 Speaker set up. Set up went well. Everything looks and sounds great.
Then I noticed when the 1080 is off I was hearing a slight hum from my sub woofer... Sure enough the Subwoofer led was green and it was on. The Sub is an Elemental Designs with auto stand by circuitry.
I moved the Subwoofer connection to the other sub out on the 1080 and no difference still has a hum.. I got another sub from my bedroom and put it in it's place. This powered sub also stayed on after the 1080 was shut off.
Went to the Sony site to do some trouble shooting and found that Sony says to turn off auto on circuits.. So you are essentially leaving your sub on all the time... And many powered subs don't give you the option of shutting the auto sense off...
I realize the sub is on all the time even when the auto off circuit is working and that it's intended job is just to make sure the sub stays quiet on occasions just like this.
Has anyone else noticed any sub hum?

http://eyecit.net/3rdPartyImages/1080/1080sub.png

Chuck_IV 07-11-2017 06:57 AM

I haven't noticed any hum on mine (Mirage Omni S8). At least it's not noticeable.

Selden Ball 07-11-2017 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venomnusss (Post 54190905)

A hum coming from the subwoofer usually is a symptom of what's commonly called a "ground loop". Some A/V devices are more sensitive to this than others.

There are two major causes:

1. A poorly grounded cable TV (or satellite) connection.

This cause can be verified by disconnecting and powering off the cable TV STB. If that's the primary cause, the hum should be substantially reduced.

A workaround is to use an isolation transformer in-line with the cable connection. The fix is to get the cable grounded properly where it enters your home. This is a personal safety issue, so the cable company should be willing to do this for free.

2. powering A/V equipment from two different phases of incoming power.

In the U.S, most homes are provided with two separate phases of power. Different wall outlets are connected to one or the other. When A/V devices are not all connected to the same phase of power, current flows between them and causes them to hum.

This type of hum can be minimized by powering everything from a single power strip, so they all get their power from the same wall socket. Alternatively you can test each wall outlet and use only those connected to the same phase.

Venomnusss 07-11-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selden Ball (Post 54192417)
A hum coming from the subwoofer usually is a symptom of what's commonly called a "ground loop". Some A/V devices are more sensitive to this than others.

There are two major causes:

1. A poorly grounded cable TV (or satellite) connection.

This cause can be verified by disconnecting and powering off the cable TV STB. If that's the primary cause, the hum should be substantially reduced.

A workaround is to use an isolation transformer in-line with the cable connection. The fix is to get the cable grounded properly where it enters your home. This is a personal safety issue, so the cable company should be willing to do this for free.

2. powering A/V equipment from two different phases of incoming power.

In the U.S, most homes are provided with two separate phases of power. Different wall outlets are connected to one or the other. When A/V devices are not all connected to the same phase of power, current flows between them and causes them to hum.

This type of hum can be minimized by powering everything from a single power strip, so they all get their power from the same wall socket. Alternatively you can test each wall outlet and use only those connected to the same phase.

Thanks for the response...

#2 sounds like it may be the culprit.. All the equipment is in another room. The sub is the only thing being powered in the living room and it is very far away. I will run a long extension cord and see if the hum goes away..

Update. It was the AC outlet.. Figuring out a way to fix that... Thanks for the help.

Rikachu 07-11-2017 03:43 PM

Hey everyone, I’m also thinking of picking one of these up.

Could current owners answer a couple of questions please?

1) Can video/audio be output via both HDMIs at the same time? (Thinking of my DreamScreen! But also PS4 HDR out of one, PSVR out of the other so I don’t need to keep unplugging)
2) When playing video content via TV app such as Netflix, does pressing menu on the receiver pull you out of the app?

Thanks in advance!

pos1121 07-11-2017 04:38 PM

[quote=Venomnusss;54190905]Hi All,

Just purchased the 1080 to replace a Sony STR DG920..... I have it connected up to a 7.1 Speaker set up. Set up went well. Everything looks and sounds great.
Then I noticed when the 1080 is off I was hearing a slight hum from my sub woofer... Sure enough the Subwoofer led was green and it was on. The Sub is an Elemental Designs with auto stand by circuitry.
I moved the Subwoofer connection to the other sub out on the 1080 and no difference still has a hum.. I got another sub from my bedroom and put it in it's place. This powered sub also stayed on after the 1080 was shut off.
Went to the Sony site to do some trouble shooting and found that Sony says to turn off auto on circuits.. So you are essentially leaving your sub on all the time... And many powered subs don't give you the option of shutting the auto sense off...
I realize the sub is on all the time even when the auto off circuit is working and that it's intended job is just to make sure the sub stays quiet on occasions just like this.

I'm having an issue with the dual sub output as well.

Are both outputs active at the same time? I ask because I have 2 Def Tech Powermonitors with a Y Splitter and a B&W 675. I had one set going to the Def Techs and the other output to the B&W but only one output was working. I switched and then the other speaker/s would work but not the output from what I would term the second pre-out. So the same pre-out would work is what I'm trying to convey.

I have also rifled through the speaker settings and don't see a .2 setting for a second sub. I've looked through the manual and this forum along with Google without resolve.

Am I correct in my explanation above or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chuck_IV 07-11-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikachu (Post 54205169)
Hey everyone, I’m also thinking of picking one of these up.

Could current owners answer a couple of questions please?

1) Can video/audio be output via both HDMIs at the same time? (Thinking of my DreamScreen! But also PS4 HDR out of one, PSVR out of the other so I don’t need to keep unplugging)
2) When playing video content via TV app such as Netflix, does pressing menu on the receiver pull you out of the app?

Thanks in advance!

I can't answer #1 since I haven't used the 2nd HDMI port, but on #2 , when you press the menu button on the receiver, the menu appears on a black background(you will no long see the video feed). You will lose sound for a couple seconds while the menu comes up. The sound will come back just before the menu appears. It will not kick you out of anything going on with the source you are viewing. You just won't be able to see the source until you close the menu.