"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136344Likes

post #3661 of 12656 Old 02-21-2018, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttpalmer View Post
Having second thoughts on my recently purchased, still in-transit Denon x2400H. I'm reading a lot about how incredibly hot these units get. Is this overblown, or simply people who aren't properly ventilating their receivers? Does the 2400 get hotter than a 3400?

If a legitimate concern, to me it's a sign of poor engineering and build quality and I'll just return the Denon and opt for a cooler-running (allegedly) Yamaha from Costco. Adding an external fan is not an option; if Denon is so poorly designed that it requires an external cooling device, then I don't want it. I need this receiver to last at least five years, hopefully more.

I'll store it in a cabinet that's closed in the front, open in the back, its shelf will be vented below the receiver, with several inches above the unit all clear.

I appreciate all the experience from you current owners. Thanks!
i have had my 2400 for a couple of weeks. the only problem i have had is losing sound when using the espn xbox app when i am watching the highlight videos.

i have not had my hand on it when i was cranking a movie but what a difference 7/8 years of new tech makes it sounds great to me and i am in a very large room. my old receiver died so i had to get one. i did alot of research. i am very happy with the 2400. i am running seven speakers in a traditional 7.1 position but have the back turned on to enable atmos.
mttpalmer, Madmax67 and mrtickleuk like this.

Family Room
LG OLED65C6P, Denon AVRX2400H, Oppo 203, XBOX One S

Bedroom
TCL 55R615, Samsung UBD-K8500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 12656 Old 02-21-2018, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Unfortunate Denon x1400H Experience

I picked up a Denon x1400H at my local Magnolia Design center for $399. Spent a couple of hours installing it and my new Martin Logan LX16 ($199 each) bookshelf speakers in my living room setup. I appreciate the Denon setup process, seems intuitive to me. After the calibration process, I was fairly impressed with the sound and was utilizing the Denon Heos app to stream songs from my NAS. Everything was working fine, so I turned it off, came back an hour later and it had dropped my WiFi settings. No problem... re-entered it figuring I did something stupid. Turned it off again... waited several minutes, sure enough can not access the receiver with heos or the Denon 2016 app. WiFi settings lost again! I unplugged it and gave it one more shot... NO LUCK! When this happens and you click on Network Diagnostics, it would just spin in analyzing mode.

I have a NAD T758 V3 in my theater room and even with it's sketchy USB wifi/bluOS dongle thing, it works flawlessly. I took the Denon back to BB and couldn't bring myself to buy another thinking that maybe they have a batch of bad wifi cards. It's too bad, because at $399 it was a great value! I ended up going to Costco and buying a Yamaha TSR-7810 for $489. It's interface isn't as nice as the Denon, but it's rock solid with it's wifi and sounds just as good as the Denon.
post #3663 of 12656 Old 02-21-2018, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Netflix Dolby Atmos from LG B7 OLED to 4400H receiver?

Hello,

Can the 4400H output Dolby Atmos from the LG B7 OLED's Netflix app thru HDMI-ARC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3664 of 12656 Old 02-21-2018, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVR23 View Post
Hello,

Can the 4400H output Dolby Atmos from the LG B7 OLED's Netflix app thru HDMI-ARC?
It can, via DD+ which is lossy audio meaning it's not uncompressed audio.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
RJVR23 likes this.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
post #3665 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2352 Post(s)
Liked: 2647
Quote:
Having second thoughts on my recently purchased, still in-transit Denon x2400H.
That's typical buyer's remorse setting in trust me. Wait until you at least have the receiver before you decide you hate it or not.

Quote:
I'm reading a lot about how incredibly hot these units get. Is this overblown, or simply people who aren't properly ventilating their receivers? Does the 2400 get hotter than a 3400?
These owners threads aren't good sources for accurate defect data on a product as it's more of a troubleshooting thread where operator error at times has its part as well as everyone's setup locations are different. Hard question to answer as it depends on where the receiver is kept along with type of content played, time it's played and level it's played at. Mines almost cool to the touch to barely warm as was my last Denon.

Quote:
If a legitimate concern, to me it's a sign of poor engineering and build quality and I'll just return the Denon and opt for a cooler-running (allegedly) Yamaha from Costco.
Everybody's concerns here are considered legitimate but they are far from any proof of anything systemic as there's probably a few hundred people posting here for help and a minority of them are voicing temperature concerns(some of which were self inflicted IMHO.) Weigh that against the majority here who aren't having this issue along with the thousands of other owners world wide whom you would think would be flooding these threads with similar issues if systemic but they aren't. The Yamaha thread has it's own owners issues trust me. I've read every post for the last year or so. At least get it in your setup and see how things go first.

Quote:
Adding an external fan is not an option; if Denon is so poorly designed that it requires an external cooling device, then I don't want it. I need this receiver to last at least five years, hopefully more.
The X4300H is my 2nd Denon receiver in the last 12 plus years. It's only the 2nd because the first one wouldn't die on me after those 12 plus years and is currently boxed up and sitting in my attic awaiting a new home or just as a backup receiver/amp. The HDMI boards are your biggest change in technologies between the 2 and the most likely to have issues but that's any device using HDMI these days. No guarantees but 5 years out of a 3 year warrantied product should be a safe bet.

It doesn't require an external cooling device it requires 4 to 5 inches of well ventilated space around the enclosures vents and decent airflow.

Quote:
I'll store it in a cabinet that's closed in the front, open in the back, its shelf will be vented below the receiver, with several inches above the unit all clear.
You could invest in a cheap IR gun from Amazon for under $15 or so to save you from doing the hand test above the receivers enclosure and at least enable Auto Eco mode on the receiver to help about 10 degrees or so with no real loss in power to your speakers. The first recommend is not a must have(I don't) but the second isn't a bad idea(I do.)

Quote:
I appreciate all the experience from you current owners. Thanks!
You're welcome. Having JD's the best experience in this thread.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 02-22-2018 at 01:39 AM.
post #3666 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks; that's a great comparison. I'll have a lot more room all around my unit and have about the same listening habits, so I'm thinking I'll be OK. It's still concerning to me that these get so much warmer than other brands. Puts such a dark cloud over the Denon brand in my mind. But...that cloud may be lifted once I hear it in action!
There's only anecdotal evidence at best for this conclusion. Meaning no standardized control over content, levels, placement, room temperature(not every home has central air or any AC for that matter) and that most important X factor of all the individual owner and their biases. Remove all of that and give me some control grouped testing of this and my guess is the resulting data might surprise you. Most other brands now are going towards class D amplification which is more highly efficient than class AB amps but less so driving low impedance loads so everything is a trade off these days.

I also have a little theory with reports of Yamaha receivers running so much cooler than Denon's. Many Yamaha models have deeper enclosures than other makes(Denon included) and can present a challenge with the typical "I'll just make it fit crowd." My theory is that more Yamaha's are given open placement because of this thus dissipating it's heat more easily. It's just a personal theory though so I might be way off but I highly doubt the engineers at Denon sat down and decided to design a hotter running receiver than its main competitor.

Usually around 95 degrees Fahrenheit is considered average and 158 degrees is where any built in active cooling kicks in so that should give you some frame of reference.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #3667 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 01:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklein2 View Post
I picked up a Denon x1400H at my local Magnolia Design center for $399. Spent a couple of hours installing it and my new Martin Logan LX16 ($199 each) bookshelf speakers in my living room setup. I appreciate the Denon setup process, seems intuitive to me. After the calibration process, I was fairly impressed with the sound and was utilizing the Denon Heos app to stream songs from my NAS. Everything was working fine, so I turned it off, came back an hour later and it had dropped my WiFi settings. No problem... re-entered it figuring I did something stupid. Turned it off again... waited several minutes, sure enough can not access the receiver with heos or the Denon 2016 app. WiFi settings lost again! I unplugged it and gave it one more shot... NO LUCK! When this happens and you click on Network Diagnostics, it would just spin in analyzing mode.

I have a NAD T758 V3 in my theater room and even with it's sketchy USB wifi/bluOS dongle thing, it works flawlessly. I took the Denon back to BB and couldn't bring myself to buy another thinking that maybe they have a batch of bad wifi cards. It's too bad, because at $399 it was a great value! I ended up going to Costco and buying a Yamaha TSR-7810 for $489. It's interface isn't as nice as the Denon, but it's rock solid with it's wifi and sounds just as good as the Denon.
There's a basic network reset feature on the Denon listed in the first 8 posts of this thread you could have tried instead of just concluding recalls were probably needed on a whole line of a receivers network cards but to each his own . I've had zero issues using Wi-Fi and HEOS with my current Denon. I must have gotten the lucky card out of my batch. I like Yamaha as well.
Too51oll likes this.

post #3668 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 766 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23196 Post(s)
Liked: 12723
Quote:
I picked up a Denon x1400H at my local Magnolia Design center for . Spent a couple of hours installing it and my new Martin Logan LX16 bookshelf speakers in my living room setup. I appreciate the Denon setup process, seems intuitive to me. After the calibration process, I was fairly impressed with the sound and was utilizing the Denon Heos app to stream songs from my NAS. Everything was working fine, so I turned it off, came back an hour later and it had dropped my WiFi settings. No problem... re-entered it figuring I did something stupid. Turned it off again... waited several minutes, sure enough can not access the receiver with heos or the Denon 2016 app. WiFi settings lost again! I unplugged it and gave it one more shot... NO LUCK! When this happens and you click on Network Diagnostics, it would just spin in analyzing mode.

I have a NAD T758 V3 in my theater room and even with it's sketchy USB wifi/bluOS dongle thing, it works flawlessly. I took the Denon back to BB and couldn't bring myself to buy another thinking that maybe they have a batch of bad wifi cards. It's too bad, because at it was a great value! I ended up going to Costco and buying a Yamaha TSR-7810 for. It's interface isn't as nice as the Denon, but it's rock solid with it's wifi and sounds just as good as the Denon.
It addition to reminding you that there is no price discussion in this thread, as Madmax67 noted, you should have reviewed post 5 and performed a Network reset to try and resolve your issue.
post #3669 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Moving into Atmos

I'm considering buying the Denon AVR-X6400H for my new home theater (remodel in process). Price vs feature set it seems to be the best bang for the buck for Atmos\DTS:X 11.2 channel. However, I'm seeing some 6300's still out there and the features don't seem that far off. From the first page I grabbed this:

X4400H/X6400H
- Auro 3D - installed at the factory (the 3rd 3D audio codec in addition to Atmos and DTS:X); able to use Dolby enabled speaker configurations (Front Dolby/Surround Dolby/Back Dolby) although unable to use Top Surround/Voice of God when using them - Not sure I would care about this.
- Denon's AL32 processing (upgrade over AL24 processing on the X4300H/X6300H) - Does this make much of a difference?
- Bass Sync - What does this do?
- 5.1 CH full bi-amp -FL/FR/C/SL/SR (X6400H only) - Probably wouldn't use this.
- DTS Virtual:X - via firmware update ETA Spring 2018 (simulates height/surround from DTS/PCM audio when no Height/Top/Dolby speakers configured; no limitation using with Audyssey) - Free update?

Does this mean these features were also not part of the 2016 models? These might make it more attractive to buy the newest model.
S730H/S930H/X1400H/X2400H/X3400H/X4400H/X6400H
- 4K Signal Format (Standard (default)/Enhanced; Note: Enhanced setting must be used when passing 4K/60Hz video)
- Disable Zone 2 access from the remote control
- Network Reset (excludes resetting “Amp Assign”, “Speaker Config.” and “Video” settings)
- HDMI Diagnostics (installer troubleshooting)
- TV Sound Grouping (fixes 1 second audio delay experienced when playing cable/sat box audio to the surround speakers and HEOS speakers in other rooms) - April 12, 2017 firmware update
- Dolby Vision HDR (on board)
- Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) - (firmware update)
- ALAC up to 192kHz sampling frequency

"Like a Ninja, only better!"

Current HT Room Build
post #3670 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Thanks @Madmax67 for the detailed and well-thought response.

I've read so much about people (especially Denon owners) buying external fans that it got me concerned (probably overly so). Sounds like I should have sufficient ventilation. I do have an IR gun already so that will be a fun experiment.

A new concern is the 2400's inability to pass through 4K above 30Hz. Not an issue if my OLED isn't capable (and maybe not one anyway, but I'll look into it). (EDIT: It totally passes through 4K above 30Hz, it just doesn't do HDMI to HDMI scaling above it, which I'll never use anyway, I'll let my TV do all of the video work.)

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra

Last edited by mttpalmer; 02-22-2018 at 09:31 AM.
post #3671 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang5o View Post
I'm considering buying the Denon AVR-X6400H for my new home theater (remodel in process). Price vs feature set it seems to be the best bang for the buck for Atmos\DTS:X 11.2 channel. However, I'm seeing some 6300's still out there and the features don't seem that far off. From the first page I grabbed this:

X4400H/X6400H
- Auro 3D - installed at the factory (the 3rd 3D audio codec in addition to Atmos and DTS:X); able to use Dolby enabled speaker configurations (Front Dolby/Surround Dolby/Back Dolby) although unable to use Top Surround/Voice of God when using them - Not sure I would care about this.
- Denon's AL32 processing (upgrade over AL24 processing on the X4300H/X6300H) - Does this make much of a difference?
- Bass Sync - What does this do?
- 5.1 CH full bi-amp -FL/FR/C/SL/SR (X6400H only) - Probably wouldn't use this.
- DTS Virtual:X - via firmware update ETA Spring 2018 (simulates height/surround from DTS/PCM audio when no Height/Top/Dolby speakers configured; no limitation using with Audyssey) - Free update?

Does this mean these features were also not part of the 2016 models? These might make it more attractive to buy the newest model.
S730H/S930H/X1400H/X2400H/X3400H/X4400H/X6400H
- 4K Signal Format (Standard (default)/Enhanced; Note: Enhanced setting must be used when passing 4K/60Hz video)
- Disable Zone 2 access from the remote control
- Network Reset (excludes resetting “Amp Assign”, “Speaker Config.” and “Video” settings)
- HDMI Diagnostics (installer troubleshooting)
- TV Sound Grouping (fixes 1 second audio delay experienced when playing cable/sat box audio to the surround speakers and HEOS speakers in other rooms) - April 12, 2017 firmware update
- Dolby Vision HDR (on board)
- Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) - (firmware update)
- ALAC up to 192kHz sampling frequency
AL32 should provide for better audio processing than AL24.
Bass Sync - p. 170 Owner's manual, adjustment if there is a lag in LFE signal
DTS Virtual:X update is free and should be released to the X4400H/X6400H next month having already been released to the X3400H and lower models

The following features are also on the 2016 models:
- Network Reset
- HDMI Diagnostics
- TV Sound Grouping
- Dolby Vision
- HLG
post #3672 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
AL32 should provide for better audio processing than AL24.
Bass Sync - p. 170 Owner's manual, adjustment if there is a lag in LFE signal
DTS Virtual:X update is free and should be released to the X4400H/X6400H next month having already been released to the X3400H and lower models

The following features are also on the 2016 models:
- Network Reset
- HDMI Diagnostics
- TV Sound Grouping
- Dolby Vision
- HLG
Thanks. That's good to know. If I can't get a good price on an X6400H I think the X6300H would serve me just fine. I was trying to convince myself to just go with a 9 channel system but I just can't do it. Even if it means waiting a bit longer to have a full Atmos system.

"Like a Ninja, only better!"

Current HT Room Build
post #3673 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
It can, via DD+ which is lossy audio meaning it's not uncompressed audio.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Thank you!
post #3674 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
There's a basic network reset feature on the Denon listed in the first 8 posts of this thread you could have tried instead of just concluding recalls were probably needed on a whole line of a receivers network cards but to each his own . I've had zero issues using Wi-Fi and HEOS with my current Denon. I must have gotten the lucky card out of my batch. I like Yamaha as well.
Darn it!! I did a quick look on Denon's website and a general google search... obviously I wasn't patient enough. I had time working against me and just wanted something to work. If I had found that, I'd probably be a happy Denon owner right now as I have been several times in the past.
post #3675 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Sund & vision magazine tests the $999 denon avr-x3400h

In the April 2018 edition of SOUND & VISION magazine Daniel Kumin tests the $999 DENON AVR-X3400W receiver.

PLUS;

Solid 2 channel and Multi Channel Power
3.1.2 Channel Dolby Atmos/DTS:X virtual height effects
Excellent Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 room correction
HEOS Wireless Multiroom

MINUS:

Wired multiroom limited to one room.

"It performs basic tasks, both audio and video, with a sense of quality, and eminent usability. I have no hesitation recommending it to mid-market shoppers."

May be up on the Sound & Vision web site.
mtucker and Madmax67 like this.
post #3676 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I bought the Denon AVR-X4400H to see if it would help with audio sync issues I'm having with my set up. I thought I did all my background research to avoid any surprises, but came across the following issue when testing with the Apple TV 4K:

When viewing a 4K Dolby Vision iTunes movie (passed through the Denon AVR) none of the Denon onscreen overlays work. For example the volume overlay does not show up when I adjust the volume, and if I try to go into "Setup" it forces the screen to switch modes and some menu items (e.g. Audio Delay) are not accessible. I spoke to someone at Denon customer support and he said it is a current HDMI hardware/bandwidth limitation, but this doesn't sound right to me as the AVR should just be able to mix in its content to the existing stream and output it to the TV like it does for HDR and SDR, no?

My AVR is in a closet behind the TV so I can't see the display when watching TV and having the volume overlay is very important to me. Does anyone know if this so called hardware limitation is something that could actually be fixed via firmware update or is it legitimately something that affects all current AV receivers? Given the price of this AVR I will return it and wait for the next generation if need be if it doesn't "truly" support Dolby Vision.
post #3677 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Darn it!! I did a quick look on Denon's website and a general google search... obviously I wasn't patient enough. I had time working against me and just wanted something to work. If I had found that, I'd probably be a happy Denon owner right now as I have been several times in the past.
No biggie. I understand about needing your network to work right and right now and I'm sorry you had the issues that you did with it. Main thing is you're happy with what you have now and that's what matters most. Enjoy your new receiver.

That make was my other choice to replace my last Denon if getting a new one didn't work out. Luckily it did but I'm familiar with their great reputation as well.

post #3678 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakgungor View Post
I bought the Denon AVR-X4400H to see if it would help with audio sync issues I'm having with my set up. I thought I did all my background research to avoid any surprises, but came across the following issue when testing with the Apple TV 4K:

When viewing a 4K Dolby Vision iTunes movie (passed through the Denon AVR) none of the Denon onscreen overlays work. For example the volume overlay does not show up when I adjust the volume, and if I try to go into "Setup" it forces the screen to switch modes and some menu items (e.g. Audio Delay) are not accessible. I spoke to someone at Denon customer support and he said it is a current HDMI hardware/bandwidth limitation, but this doesn't sound right to me as the AVR should just be able to mix in its content to the existing stream and output it to the TV like it does for HDR and SDR, no?

My AVR is in a closet behind the TV so I can't see the display when watching TV and having the volume overlay is very important to me. Does anyone know if this so called hardware limitation is something that could actually be fixed via firmware update or is it legitimately something that affects all current AV receivers? Given the price of this AVR I will return it and wait for the next generation if need be if it doesn't "truly" support Dolby Vision.
There is a lot of very helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread.

As noted in post 1 of this thread under each model description to include the X4400H, the Denon CSR is correct. Although unable to display the GUI/Setup on 4k video, able to display the volume bar/Info on 4k video but only at 24/30Hz, not at 60Hz.
post #3679 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks @Madmax67 for the detailed and well-thought response.
No problem buddy.

Quote:
I've read so much about people (especially Denon owners) buying external fans that it got me concerned (probably overly so). Sounds like I should have sufficient ventilation. I do have an IR gun already so that will be a fun experiment.
I have as well. A lot of it is just being part of the community and those with like minded concerns tend to post with others with the same for feedback and it at times looks like an epidemic when it really isn't. I do the same when I see a common issue someone else is having with their receiver and I chime in with mine as do others. Doesn't mean there's a larger problem per se.

We always had an accessory shop in our dealership for a reason as well. That's because accessories sell whether they are necessary or not. Not saying all the external fan buying wasn't necessary but there's some part of it that's feeding a cool factor(pun intended.)

Quote:
A new concern is the 2400's inability to pass through 4K above 30Hz. Not an issue if my OLED isn't capable (and maybe not one anyway, but I'll look into it). (EDIT: It totally passes through 4K above 30Hz, it just doesn't do HDMI to HDMI scaling above it, which I'll never use anyway, I'll let my TV do all of the video work.)
Correct. I let my TV do the same. Good luck and let us know when your get your receiver if you have any questions. Lots of helpful folks here.
mttpalmer likes this.

post #3680 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I have mine tucked away as well and have to crane my neck to get a look at it. Talk about 1st world problems, I know.

Probably not what you are looking for, but I do use the iPhone/ iPad app for doing most my avr control. Then you can actually make sound adjustments via the app without interrupting what’s on the screen. The volume control is right there with the dB level.

Sony XBR65X900E
Xbox X
Denon X4300H
5.1.4- Klipsch RC-62 ii, R-26F, R-15M, R-10SW, Monoprice 8" Black Back Ceiling Speakers
post #3681 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
There is a lot of very helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread.

As noted in post 1 of this thread under each model description to include the X4400H, the Denon CSR is correct. Although unable to display the GUI/Setup on 4k video, able to display the volume bar/Info on 4k video but only at 24/30Hz, not at 60Hz.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that a "standard" DV signal will prohibit any sort of OSD overlay including volume and that is a DV limitation and not a Denon GUI limitation (although apparently the much maligned Sony low latency "new" DV profile does allow for OSD overlay without limits).
chi_guy50, Madmax67 and mrtickleuk like this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #3682 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Well, I did it... Ordered a S930H from acce4less. I'm excited, this will complete my 4K chain upgrade! I've had my current AVR since 2007 and have loved it (2808CI) and, I'm a bit nervous because I know the S930H is technically a downgrade. I hope I will not be too disappointed with the sound quality but, I wasn't going to be able to afford a 2808 level AVR anytime soon, even from a place like acce4less.

Still excited to get the S930H. Plenty of HDMI inputs, 4K HDR10/DV support and Dolby Atmos! Although I don't have any height speakers but, I'm sure that itch is coming soon. My wife thinks today is the end, she will be disappointed.
camd5pt0 likes this.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #3683 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 5363 Post(s)
Liked: 7752
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that a "standard" DV signal will prohibit any sort of OSD overlay including volume and that is a DV limitation and not a Denon GUI limitation (although apparently the much maligned Sony low latency "new" DV profile does allow for OSD overlay without limits).
Yes this is correct. Due to the way dolby vision works, the "high latency" (ie fully-featured) dolby vision signal cannot have any form of video overlay. Doesn't matter what AVR you have. Do not blame the AVR manufacturers for this, the blame is squarely at dolby's feet.

NB: HDR10 does not suffer from this design flaw, which is why the volume overlay works perfectly fine with HDR10. And also the new Sony "low latency" dolby vision-lite signal too.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #3684 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Well, I did it... Ordered a S930H from acce4less. I'm excited, this will complete my 4K chain upgrade! I've had my current AVR since 2007 and have loved it (2808CI) and, I'm a bit nervous because I know the S930H is technically a downgrade. I hope I will not be too disappointed with the sound quality but, I wasn't going to be able to afford a 2808 level AVR anytime soon, even from a place like acce4less.

Still excited to get the S930H. Plenty of HDMI inputs, 4K HDR10/DV support and Dolby Atmos! Although I don't have any height speakers but, I'm sure that itch is coming soon. My wife thinks today is the end, she will be disappointed.
Enjoy, as of this week I just got Dolby Atmos, I spent about 10 hours between 2 days getting everything set up and mounted and barely had the time to play with it.
I can recommend Polk Audio Atrium series of speaker, for your heights. Mounting couldn't be more simpler and I think the Atrium 4 is 89$ for the pair in Amazon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #3685 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:

@jdsmoothie on my setup I can get OSD at all frequencies even with HDR10. It is specifically when showing Dolby Vision content where the problem arises, so I believe your information (or rather the information you are citing) is incorrect.
post #3686 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
@jdsmoothie on my setup I can get OSD at all frequencies even with HDR10. It is specifically when showing Dolby Vision content where the problem arises, so I believe your information (or rather the information you are citing) is incorrect.
JD? In error? NOT bloody likely. matey!
bluemoon737 likes this.
post #3687 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Yes this is correct. Due to the way dolby vision works, the "high latency" (ie fully-featured) dolby vision signal cannot have any form of video overlay. Doesn't matter what AVR you have. Do not blame the AVR manufacturers for this, the blame is squarely at dolby's feet.

NB: HDR10 does not suffer from this design flaw, which is why the volume overlay works perfectly fine with HDR10. And also the new Sony "low latency" dolby vision-lite signal too.
Thank you for the clarification. Is there any chance this will change going forward and if so could OSD be implemented via future firmware updates?
post #3688 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
JD? In error? NOT bloody likely. matey!
I will have to double-check then. Could be that despite having Apple TV 4K set to "4K Dolby Vision 60 Hz" that the match frame rate was on and changed the frequency based on the movie I was watching (likely 24 Hz?).
post #3689 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Thank you for the clarification. Is there any chance this will change going forward and if so could OSD be implemented via future firmware updates?
Likely the only way this will change is if everyone shifts over to the low latency (and no this isn't DV lite) profile which I would not be at all surprised if that happens. The standard/original/legacy (whatever you want to call it) DV does not allow "manipulation" of the video stream between the source and display hence the lack of OSD overlay.
Madmax67 and mrtickleuk like this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #3690 of 12656 Old 02-22-2018, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Noted. I have updated post 1 to reflect this. Still using 1080p so no 4k experience.
bluemoon737 and Madmax67 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , audio , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , center , connectivity , Denon , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , Pioneer , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , subwoofer denon test tone , theater , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , zone 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page