"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 126 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136344Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3751 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bill Shakespeare's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 30 miles NW of Sacramento, CA
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
AFAIK, there are no TVs with eARC capability at this time, and the X3400H isn't receiving the eARC update until likely later this fall. Rather the LG is simply passing the Atmos audio via a non-HD lossy DD+ audio track using ARC back to the AVR.
I have a 7.2 speaker system without Dolby Atmos. I thought the LG B7A and the X3400H had eARC capabilities. I did not realize Dolby Atmos was delivered via lossy DD. I also thought DA required a lossless signal. The AVR display shows "Dolby Atmos" which I misinterpreted.
in4maous likes this.
Bill Shakespeare is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3752 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,730
Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 7747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shakespeare View Post
I have a 7.2 speaker system without Dolby Atmos. I thought the LG B7A and the X3400H had eARC capabilities.
Nope, as stated, eARC is a feature of HDMI2.1 and HDMI2.1 does not exist yet in any product sold in the world anywhere.

Quote:
I did not realize Dolby Atmos was delivered via lossy DD. I also thought DA required a lossless signal. The AVR display shows "Dolby Atmos" which I misinterpreted.
Yes, there is nothing special about Dolby Atmos or DTS:X which requires either of them to be lossless. It's just metadata. Press the Info button (or use the smartphone App if the audio is coming from a TV App) to see what the base layer audio is.
  • Dolby Atmos object metadata can be added to a Dolby TrueHD lossless track, or it can be added to a Dolby Digital Plus lossy track.
  • DTS:X object metadata can be added to a DTS-HD Master Audio lossless track, or it can be added to a DTS-HD HR Audio lossy track.

I don't know why people don't know about the lossy versions so don't worry, you are not the first and you won't be the last
Madmax67 likes this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 02-26-2018 at 09:48 AM.
mrtickleuk is offline  
post #3753 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 10:01 AM
Newbie
 
nkourouk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello I own the AVR-X4400 and I often get the no network connection message. I then have to reset the network connection in order to have Tunein and HEOS app working. It is very frustrating. Does anybody else experience the same issue?
nkourouk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3754 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rolltide1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 3,462
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post
Haven't run Audyssey for several years on my 3808CI (I know!-I Know!) I picked up an S930H so I need to run it...Thought I had to place the Mic in different locations around the room...If I'm interpreting correctly what you suggest, The best method is to run all tests around one seat/chair location? The front, sides, and rear of one chair?

I just ran it...LOL!!!! It instructed me exactly the way you have it...Used to be all over the room!
Have you been satisfied with the audio quality of the S930H? I have one that should be arriving tomorrow and I'm moving from a 2808CI. My biggest concern is that I may be slightly disappointed with the audio quality when compared to my 2808, which has been the best sounding AVR I've ever owned.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
rolltide1017 is offline  
post #3755 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluemoon737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 3,725
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Nope, as stated, eARC is a feature of HDMI2.1 and HDMI2.1 does not exist yet in any product sold in the world anywhere.

Although this is true...in the case of eARC 2.1 hardware is not "required". As long as the device (display/AVR) has the circuitry path for audio via the Ethernet connections of the HDMI connector eARC can be implemented completely with 2.0 HDMI hardware. Obviously that requires the OEM to provide that signal path during manufacture (can't be added after the fact via firmware) and clearly Denon has done that with the X400 series. Don't know of any display OEM that has done that yet (added the signal path), or if they have they have been tight lipped about it .
mrtickleuk likes this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
bluemoon737 is offline  
post #3756 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 11:20 AM
Member
 
iron4044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AVR-X4400H and HDMI Connection Issue?

Is this an example of the HDMI connection issues I've read about?

This is a new (refurbished) receiver and I'm getting these "blocks" that appear on the screen for a milisecond or so when changing HDMI ports, such as closing Blu-ray, switching from Aux2 to Blu-ray, etc.

I can't recall ever seeing this happen with my Yamaha V575. Is it just an annoyance and nothing to worry about? Other that this issue, I think the sound quality ROCKS!!

Thanks in advance for any help or feedback.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Denon AVR-X4400H HDMI Connect Issue.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	356.8 KB
ID:	2367136  

Panasonic TC-P58S2
Denon AVR-X4400H
Polk CSiA6 (C); Polk 265 RT (R/L); Polk RC60i (Surr)
Polk 2x PSW505 (Sub)
iron4044 is offline  
post #3757 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,730
Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 7747
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Although this is true...in the case of eARC 2.1 hardware is not "required". As long as the device (display/AVR) has the circuitry path for audio via the Ethernet connections of the HDMI connector eARC can be implemented completely with 2.0 HDMI hardware. Obviously that requires the OEM to provide that signal path during manufacture (can't be added after the fact via firmware) and clearly Denon has done that with the X400 series. Don't know of any display OEM that has done that yet (added the signal path), or if they have they have been tight lipped about it .
We pretty much know that they haven't yet. Of course they will in the future, that is to be expected.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is offline  
post #3758 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 12:15 PM
Senior Member
 
camd5pt0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkourouk View Post
Hello I own the AVR-X4400 and I often get the no network connection message. I then have to reset the network connection in order to have Tunein and HEOS app working. It is very frustrating. Does anybody else experience the same issue?
Is your system up to date?
I just received mine last week. It had to be manually updated via website and through USB; as well as an downloaded update from the AVR afterwards. HEOS would work after this.

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
camd5pt0 is offline  
post #3759 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I just noticed something new on my X4400H. I have Amazon Echos all over my apartment including the living room where my Denon is. I gave Alexa a command and noticed that the AVR dropped the volume to 5 and when Alexa was finished went back to normal. I swear I hadn’t noticed this before. Was I just oblivious or is this new? The Denon is listed in the Alexa app as a device in my home. I haven’t found a setting that does this, yet. It should be in there somewhere, I think??

I know this wasn’t doing it before as she was sometimes overwhelmed if the volume was too loud. Is this a new defensive method?

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
post #3760 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 12:22 PM
Newbie
 
nkourouk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
Is your system up to date?
I just received mine last week. It had to be manually updated via website and through USB; as well as an downloaded update from the AVR afterwards. HEOS would work after this.
Yes it was updated with the latest version. I had the problem before and after the update. If I do not use the amp for several days I get the not network connection and have to reset. I am using Wi-Fi in order to connect the amp to the internet. Maybe I need to connect it by wire.
nkourouk is offline  
post #3761 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 12:47 PM
Senior Member
 
BJBBJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The <HDMI Video Output> setting defaults to "Auto(Dual)" so you would need to change it to either "Monitor 1" or "Monitor 2" for each source when using both 1080p and 4k sources.
jdsmoothie,

Thanks! Didn't see that.

Under that setting that I now see in the manual, it says if both monitors are connected and resolution is set to "auto", the signals are output with a resolution "that is compatible with BOTH TV's" (my caps)...... I don't think that is what I want although they are going to the same TV, the Denon will see one output as 1080P and the other as 4K. So perhaps the only way to do this is to manually assign the resolution? And I won't want to do that for my 1080P input as my satellite box might put out 1080i or 720P etc..
Now I could do that for the 4K monitor out. But it is the "both" comment above that gives me pause.

According to the manual (I am one of those readers!) the other setting that seem to inter-relate is "video conversion". I have this
to "Off" as I want the TV to upscale so that is still okay.

It also says that "output settings" ( so auto, monitor 1, monitor 2) "cannot be set when 4k signals are input". I am not sure if that means they cannot be changed in the menu when viewing 4K source or they cannot be changed FOR a 4K source?

However even if I route the inputs to the right monitor out, apparently it sets the output resolution to one compatible with both monitor outs which I guess would be 1080P.

Perhaps I am making this more difficult than it needs to be.....but getting my Pany 4K player working with the right HDMI cable, at the right length to the TV, with full 4K resolution was a challenge prior to buying my new Denon. So I am real hesitant to make that and my new second 4K source go through the Denon and hope it all still works. And by definition the 6400 would have to upscale my 1080P stuff to 4K and would prefer not to do that.

Thanks again for your help and any additional wisdom!

BJBBJB

Last edited by BJBBJB; 02-26-2018 at 12:50 PM.
BJBBJB is offline  
post #3762 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 02:48 PM
Senior Member
 
mtucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Escondido CA.
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
In the April 2018 edition of SOUND & VISION magazine Daniel Kumin tests the $999 DENON AVR-X3400W receiver..................May be up on the Sound & Vision web site.
I noticed the April 2018 issue of Sound and Vision is available on the Google Play store (digital copy). It is a four page review and a nice big picture of the AVR-X3400H on the cover. They gave it a S&V Top Pick.



Fam Money, Rankgt18 and Madmax67 like this.
mtucker is offline  
post #3763 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 03:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 3
If you're an owner of a Denon receiver, an LG OLED and an Apple TV 4K, I'm guessing you've run into some A/V sync issues like me. If so, please review and contribute to this thread specific to owners of that setup:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...ple-tv-4k.html

I appreciate anything my fellow owners can contribute.
kakgungor is offline  
post #3764 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 04:46 PM
Member
 
rwinston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
I just noticed something new on my X4400H. I have Amazon Echos all over my apartment including the living room where my Denon is. I gave Alexa a command and noticed that the AVR dropped the volume to 5 and when Alexa was finished went back to normal. I swear I hadn’t noticed this before. Was I just oblivious or is this new? The Denon is listed in the Alexa app as a device in my home. I haven’t found a setting that does this, yet. It should be in there somewhere, I think??



I know this wasn’t doing it before as she was sometimes overwhelmed if the volume was too loud. Is this a new defensive method?

This is the new Alexa/Denon “volume dunking” feature, which is very poorly implemented imo. I had to disable the skill. On mine, it doesn’t go back up to the previous volume, it always goes to a default one that is too low. Plus, it does it when anyone uses any Echo anywhere in the house, which is super annoying.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joe221 likes this.
rwinston is offline  
post #3765 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
mttpalmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 265
New Owner X2400 Issues

So, super excited this past weekend to set up my new Denon for my 5.1 system. Now I have some concerns. Any help would really be appreciated.

1) Volume. My normal listening level on my previous receiver, Kenwood VR-507, was from -45 to -30 (which was really loud). The same level of loudness on the Denon is -25 to -15. Is this pushing the receiver too far/hard? What is a typical listening level for most?

2) Clipping. Big concern here. Specifically, in the last scene of Rogue One where Darth Vader throws a rebel soldier against the ceiling, my subwoofer (Kenwood SW-HT35) makes a rapid tapping/knocking sound, which I'm assuming is amp clipping. It never made a sound like this with the Kenwood, even at very loud volumes, and with the same movie. Turning off ECO mode helped slightly, but barely made a dent. Would it help if I ran Audyssey again, but this time with the volume set higher on the sub itself? Would this take some weight off of the Denon? The first time I ran it with a middle volume setting.

3) Heat. In ECO Auto mode, I measured the top of the receiver at 111 degrees with an infrared thermometer in a 64 degree room. My previous Kenwood never got more than slightly warm to the touch in the same cabinet. Should I be worried? Am I pushing this receiver too hard, especially considering the issues above? Is it just too weak for my usage?

I did run Audyssey from six locations and it set my left/center/right KEF Q100s to small at a crossover of 40hz, which I bumped up to 80. Neither setting affected the clipping. I turn off Audyssey and the clipping goes away. Audyssey set the subwoofer level to -8.5dB, so not much more headroom to gain by turning up the volume on the subwoofer and running Audyssey again.

Thank for the help! I'd really like to get these issues sorted as everything else is working fine, and I spent a lot of time dialing in the settings of all of my devices to work with this receiver. ARC even works great...

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra

Last edited by mttpalmer; 02-26-2018 at 06:22 PM.
mttpalmer is offline  
post #3766 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85,068
Mentioned: 766 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23181 Post(s)
Liked: 12717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttpalmer View Post
So, super excited this past weekend to set up my new Denon for my 5.1 system. Now I have some concerns. Any help would really be appreciated.

1) Volume. My normal listening level on my previous receiver, Kenwood VR-507, was from -45 to -30 (which was really loud). The same level of loudness on the Denon is -25 to -15. Is this pushing the receiver too far/hard? What is a typical listening level for most?

2) Clipping. Big concern here. Specifically, in the last scene of Rogue One where Darth Vader throws a rebel soldier against the ceiling, my subwoofer makes a rapid tapping/knocking sound, which I'm assuming is amp clipping. It never made a sound like this with the Kenwood, even at very loud volumes, and with the same movie. Turning off ECO mode helped slightly, but barely made a dent. Would it help if I ran Audyssey again, but this time with the volume set higher on the sub itself? Would this take some weight off of the Denon? The first time I ran it with a middle volume setting.

3) Heat. In ECO Auto mode, I measured the top of the receiver at 111 degrees with an infrared thermometer in a 64 degree room. My previous Kenwood never got more than slightly warm to the touch in the same cabinet. Should I be worried? Am I pushing this receiver too hard, especially considering the issues above? Is it just too weak for my usage?

I did run Audyssey and it set my left/center/right KEF Q100s to small at a crossover of 40hz, which I bumped up to 80. Neither setting affected the clipping.

Thank for the help! I'd really like to get these issues sorted as everything else is working fine, and I spent a lot of time dialing in the settings of all of my devices to work with this receiver. ARC even works great...
1. Average volume is generally -30db to -10db.
2. Audyssey ignores any settings on the AVR prior to you running Audyssey. What is the model and capability of the sub?
3. Nope.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #3767 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 05:28 PM
Senior Member
 
tk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this before but my searches aren’t answering this question.
Can the Preouts and speaker binding posts for corresponding speakers be used simultaneously? In other words, can I connect a speaker to the Front Left binding posts and also use the Front Left Preout jack to send a signal to an amplifier?
tk123 is offline  
post #3768 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85,068
Mentioned: 766 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23181 Post(s)
Liked: 12717
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk123 View Post
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this before but my searches aren’t answering this question.
Can the Preouts and speaker binding posts for corresponding speakers be used simultaneously? In other words, can I connect a speaker to the Front Left binding posts and also use the Front Left Preout jack to send a signal to an amplifier?
Yup. As long as they are not connected to the same speaker, you're good to go.

Some owners have even set up a separate 5.1 setup in another room passing the same source signal.
Madmax67 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #3769 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
mttpalmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. Average volume is generally -30db to -10db.
2. Audyssey ignores any settings on the AVR prior to you running Audyssey. What is the model and capability of the sub?
3. Nope.
1. Good to hear.
2. No, I meant the volume knob on the sub itself. Sub is admittedly, not the greatest (Kenwood SW-HT35 from a HTIB - see here: https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...00-and-mission), but it is doing this at moderate volumes here, and never did it before even at much louder volumes.
3. No, I shouldn't be worried about this level of heat/temperature?

Thanks!

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra
mttpalmer is offline  
post #3770 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85,068
Mentioned: 766 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23181 Post(s)
Liked: 12717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttpalmer View Post
1. Good to hear.
2. No, I meant the volume knob on the sub itself. Sub is admittedly, not the greatest (Kenwood SW-HT35 from a HTIB - see here: https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...00-and-mission), but it is doing this at moderate volumes here, and never did it before even at much louder volumes.
3. No, I shouldn't be worried about this level of heat/temperature?

Thanks!
2. Replace the sub with a more capable sub ...eg. SVS PB2000.
3. Correct.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #3771 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
tk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yup. As long as they are not connected to the same speaker, you're good to go.

Some owners have even set up a separate 5.1 setup in another room passing the same source signal.
SWEET. I was thinking you had to use one or the other not both at the same time. Well, that just opens up a whole ‘nother Can-O-Worms😆
Thanks again JD.
tk123 is offline  
post #3772 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85,068
Mentioned: 766 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23181 Post(s)
Liked: 12717
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk123 View Post
SWEET. I was thinking you had to use one or the other not both at the same time. Well, that just opens up a whole ‘nother Can-O-Worms😆
Thanks again JD.
Yup. Enjoy!
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #3773 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85,068
Mentioned: 766 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23181 Post(s)
Liked: 12717
Post 6 has been updated with the recent firmware change log for all of the "H" series models.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #3774 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
mttpalmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
2. Replace the sub with a more capable sub ...eg. SVS PB2000.
Yeah, I bet an $800 sub would help just about any setup!

I turn off Audyssey and the clipping goes away...

Audyssey set the subwoofer level to -8.5dB, so not much more room to gain by turning up the volume on the subwoofer and re-running Audyssey. Regardless, I'll try this, from the Audyssey FAQ, and see how it goes:

This method is recommended by Mark Seaton, founder of Seaton Sound, the makers of the legendary Seaton Submersive subwoofers:

"The issue is not the signal being too much for the subwoofer, but rather the possibility of increasing distortion or clipping on the subwoofer output from the receiver or preamp. The reason this is a concern for the sub channel relates to the amount of content directed there with 7 channels of redirected bass and a +10dB playback .1 LFE channel. I've observed it and measured the distorted signal, and a few others have taken many measurements to look more closely. Obviously this isn't a problem if you never listen over -10dB, but as you push the volume, some soundtracks can result in distortion/clipping on the preamp output to the subwoofer when you have the channel output trim well into the positive range. Most subwoofers have plenty of gain available, and it's a simple matter of lowing the sub channel on screen and raising it back up at the subwoofer's volume dial."

The reason for doing it this way is that the higher the sub volume is set, the lower will be the output level of the AVR line driver. That gives more headroom in the AVR line driver and more headroom in the input stage of the sub amp. The downside is that this also lowers the signal to noise ratio, but there tends to be very little noise with a sub anyway. By and large you're best off to have the sub amp volume relatively high and the AVR sub out volume relatively low.
mrtickleuk likes this.

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra

Last edited by mttpalmer; 02-26-2018 at 06:34 PM.
mttpalmer is offline  
post #3775 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 06:25 PM
Member
 
iron4044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron4044 View Post
Is this an example of the HDMI connection issues I've read about?

This is a new (refurbished) receiver and I'm getting these "blocks" that appear on the screen for a milisecond or so when changing HDMI ports, such as closing Blu-ray, switching from Aux2 to Blu-ray, etc.

I can't recall ever seeing this happen with my Yamaha V575. Is it just an annoyance and nothing to worry about? Other that this issue, I think the sound quality ROCKS!!

Thanks in advance for any help or feedback.

Steve
Help from anyone?
iron4044 is offline  
post #3776 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 06:42 PM
Senior Member
 
camd5pt0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I get home in a few minutes to setup this bad boy. I will be sure to follow directions in the OPClick image for larger version

Name:	20180226_123505.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	2367360Click image for larger version

Name:	20180226_123411.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	2367362
Madmax67 likes this.

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
camd5pt0 is offline  
post #3777 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwinston View Post
This is the new Alexa/Denon “volume dunking” feature, which is very poorly implemented imo. I had to disable the skill. On mine, it doesn’t go back up to the previous volume, it always goes to a default one that is too low. Plus, it does it when anyone uses any Echo anywhere in the house, which is super annoying.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I’ll check the skill. I’m not overjoyed either.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
post #3778 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,191
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Liked: 2645
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttpalmer View Post
Yeah, I bet an $800 sub would help just about any setup!

I turn off Audyssey and the clipping goes away...

Audyssey set the subwoofer level to -8.5dB, so not much more room to gain by turning up the volume on the subwoofer and re-running Audyssey. Regardless, I'll try this, from the Audyssey FAQ, and see how it goes:

This method is recommended by Mark Seaton, founder of Seaton Sound, the makers of the legendary Seaton Submersive subwoofers:

"The issue is not the signal being too much for the subwoofer, but rather the possibility of increasing distortion or clipping on the subwoofer output from the receiver or preamp. The reason this is a concern for the sub channel relates to the amount of content directed there with 7 channels of redirected bass and a +10dB playback .1 LFE channel. I've observed it and measured the distorted signal, and a few others have taken many measurements to look more closely. Obviously this isn't a problem if you never listen over -10dB, but as you push the volume, some soundtracks can result in distortion/clipping on the preamp output to the subwoofer when you have the channel output trim well into the positive range. Most subwoofers have plenty of gain available, and it's a simple matter of lowing the sub channel on screen and raising it back up at the subwoofer's volume dial."

The reason for doing it this way is that the higher the sub volume is set, the lower will be the output level of the AVR line driver. That gives more headroom in the AVR line driver and more headroom in the input stage of the sub amp. The downside is that this also lowers the signal to noise ratio, but there tends to be very little noise with a sub anyway. By and large you're best off to have the sub amp volume relatively high and the AVR sub out volume relatively low.
You're already at a -8.5dB level offset for the sub so you're not in the positive range. That post is just telling you from that to raise your subwoofer's physical gain knob while maintaining a negative offset within the receiver which you're already at. That's going to make things worse not better. You haven't turned on Subwoofer Level Adjust on the receivers audio settings have you? At its default of 0dB that would boost your sub that 8.5dB in headroom you had built in the Denon and might explain the clipping along with the lower listening levels and possibly SLA and Dynamic EQ if also on(just a hunch.)

I guess you could rerun Audyssey and shoot for an even lower offset(less than -12dB) but you're listening at higher levels with the Denon compared to the old receiver more than likely because the frequency response from your last receiver's room correction probably sucked(just being honest) and Audyssey has flattened your frequency response better thus allowing you to listen at higher levels without discomfort. I had a similar thing happen with running Audyssey XT32 on my new Denon. If both receivers were calibrated and set to the relative scale the answer might be the job each ones built in room correction software did .
mttpalmer likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #3779 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 07:38 PM
Member
 
in4maous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I setup my Xbox One X to my Sony tv and Denon 3400 X. The problem is in order to have 60hz I have to utilized HDMI 2 & 3 and not ARC. I want to watch Netflix from my smart tv, but there is sound. Can anyone provide me a work around or solution?

Thanks
in4maous is offline  
post #3780 of 12656 Old 02-26-2018, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,191
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Liked: 2645
Quote:
Originally Posted by in4maous View Post
I setup my Xbox One X to my Sony tv and Denon 3400 X. The problem is in order to have 60hz I have to utilized HDMI 2 & 3 and not ARC. I want to watch Netflix from my smart tv, but there is sound. Can anyone provide me a work around or solution?

Thanks
Select the TV audio button on your remote. I thought on most Sony TV's nowadays that HDMI 3 was full bandwidth 4K and ARC but that might not be the same as your particular set?

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , audio , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , center , connectivity , Denon , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , Pioneer , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , subwoofer denon test tone , theater , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , zone 2

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off