"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 143 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136223Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4261 of 12282 Old 03-24-2018, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
So I added upfiring speakers to my fronts. Do I have to run Audyssey again since I added them manually via amp assign?

I ask because the LG built-in Atmos demo only shows my L/R via the iOS app. I have enabled CEC on both the TV and AVR.
I needed to redo it when I added the two rears. Reconfigure the speakers and you’ll get to the point where you can add the Atmos/high speakers. Then rerun Audyssey.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4262 of 12282 Old 03-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
gossamer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyyour View Post
Yes you need run Audyssey anytime you add new speakers, amplifiers or move speakers or furniture around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
I needed to redo it when I added the two rears. Reconfigure the speakers and you’ll get to the point where you can add the Atmos/high speakers. Then rerun Audyssey.
I did rerun it and went the 4 position route. I was trying to avoid it because one of my dogs gets the shakes from the sound. She is super sensitive to thunder and fireworks as well.

Would like to watch some Atmos movies now. I have the Gravity BD and will get The Last Jedi BD UHD next week. Any other recommendations?

BTW, I still cannot figure out the Atmos from my LG. I would like to use the built-in Vudu app especially for Thor Ragnarok (UHD/Atmos). As I said earlier, all I get is two channels. CEC is enabled on both the TV and Denon. LG even had a Atmos toggle in the Sound menu but it is grayed out...WTH?!!
joe221 likes this.

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System
gossamer88 is offline  
post #4263 of 12282 Old 03-24-2018, 05:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Gyroscopics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
BTW, I still cannot figure out the Atmos from my LG. I would like to use the built-in Vudu app especially for Thor Ragnarok (UHD/Atmos). As I said earlier, all I get is two channels. CEC is enabled on both the TV and Denon. LG even had a Atmos toggle in the Sound menu but it is grayed out...WTH?!!
Make sure to connect the LG TV and Denon AVR using HDMI cable plugged-in to their respective HDMI ports with "ARC" label. Also make sure you are using at least HDMI 2.0a cable which is HDCP2.2 compatible. Dolby Atmos signal will not pass through optical cable from TV to Denon AVR when watching content directly on TV and passing audio signal to receiver. Smart TVs know when ARC is being utilized and will enable/disable features accordingly.
Gyroscopics is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4264 of 12282 Old 03-24-2018, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
gossamer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroscopics View Post
Make sure to connect the LG TV and Denon AVR using HDMI cable plugged-in to their respective HDMI ports with ARC label. Also make sure you are using at least HDMI 2.0a cable which is HDCP2.2 compatible. Dolby Atmos signal will not pass through optical cable from TV to Denon AVR when watching content directly on TV and passing audio signal to receiver. Smart TVs know when ARC is being utilized and will enable/disable features accordingly.
I have all of the above checked off.

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System
gossamer88 is offline  
post #4265 of 12282 Old 03-24-2018, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Quicksilv3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orangeville Canada
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
I have all of the above checked off.


You won’t get Atmos from your tv to your receiver unless your tv has HDMI 2.1eARC and the receiver needs the update to take advantage of.

Can’t be done. It’s a hardware limit right now


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
Quicksilv3r is offline  
post #4266 of 12282 Old 03-24-2018, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 8,774
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Liked: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
You won’t get Atmos from your tv to your receiver unless your tv has HDMI 2.1eARC and the receiver needs the update to take advantage of.

Can’t be done. It’s a hardware limit right now


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Atmos via DD+ works fine over ARC as long as your display supports sending it, which lost TVs from the last few years do.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mrtickleuk likes this.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #4267 of 12282 Old 03-24-2018, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
aaranddeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lover's State
Posts: 4,079
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Has anyone seen this?
On my latest X6400H that arrived this week, I was checking the firmware version (by holding setup+option and powering it on from standby). It showed "FIRMWARE ERROR" on the front panel. However on pressing status it did show the information for each item. However some of the item it showed blank like most of the HEOS items and the EtherMAC address. On repeating the status push it started showing the info. I am not sure how serious this is.
Once during Audyssey setup and once after pressing the options during movie, the receiver froze. I had to unplug and plug it back to come out of it. That is the reason I wanted to check the firmware and I encountered this.
This has come directly from Denon and was surprised not to have even Nov 2017 firmware installed.
I have now installed the Nov 2017 firmware (using USB), but the "FIRMWARE ERROR" situation mentioned above did not go away. Not sure what the deal is.
aaranddeeman is offline  
post #4268 of 12282 Old 03-24-2018, 11:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Zach_N85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel.
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
Mine is at the top of the rack, full open air. It’s warm but never hot.
I wonder what's considered "Hot"? My 3400H is located as such:



I got about 1" of top clearance and plenty from the sides, about 4-5", the back is also fully open for circulation. I noticed it does get a little hot when working, but nothing excessive.

A friend has a 2400H which is fully open at the top and back and when I touched it it felt as warm/hot as mine, with a lot more top clearance, so I'm guessing my 1" clearance is enough.

Am I good?

Home Theater

LG OLED 65" C8 | Denon AVR-X3400H | PS4 Pro
Paradigm Monitor 7 v7 | Canton GLE 456 | Morel SP-2 | SVS PB-1000
Zach_N85 is offline  
post #4269 of 12282 Old 03-24-2018, 11:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
I did rerun it and went the 4 position route. I was trying to avoid it because one of my dogs gets the shakes from the sound. She is super sensitive to thunder and fireworks as well.

Would like to watch some Atmos movies now. I have the Gravity BD and will get The Last Jedi BD UHD next week. Any other recommendations?

BTW, I still cannot figure out the Atmos from my LG. I would like to use the built-in Vudu app especially for Thor Ragnarok (UHD/Atmos). As I said earlier, all I get is two channels. CEC is enabled on both the TV and Denon. LG even had a Atmos toggle in the Sound menu but it is grayed out...WTH?!!
In case you didn’t get it figured out yet, on the LG to get Atmos turned on first change the sound output to “internal speakers”, then you can turn on the Atmos toggle; leave it on and now change the sound output to Optical/HDMI ARC. Now go ahead and try to play content with Atmos from the TV apps, like “The Punisher” on Netflix. Your TV needs to be connected from your TV to your receiver using HDMI though, not optical cable.

LG OLED65B7A | Denon AVR-X3400H | Oppo 203 | AppleTV 4K | Klipsch RF-82 II | Klipsch RC-62 II | Klipsch RP-140SA | Klipsch R-110SW
ismaelrvs is offline  
post #4270 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,090
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4877 Post(s)
Liked: 7173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_N85 View Post
I wonder what's considered "Hot"? My 3400H is located as such:



I got about 1" of top clearance and plenty from the sides, about 4-5", the back is also fully open for circulation. I noticed it does get a little hot when working, but nothing excessive.

A friend has a 2400H which is fully open at the top and back and when I touched it it felt as warm/hot as mine, with a lot more top clearance, so I'm guessing my 1" clearance is enough.

Am I good?
I don't think you are, personally. That looks way too tight IMHO.
joe221, A.Bell and Matt2026 like this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is offline  
post #4271 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,015
Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked: 12294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_N85 View Post
I wonder what's considered "Hot"? My 3400H is located as such:

I got about 1" of top clearance and plenty from the sides, about 4-5", the back is also fully open for circulation. I noticed it does get a little hot when working, but nothing excessive.

A friend has a 2400H which is fully open at the top and back and when I touched it it felt as warm/hot as mine, with a lot more top clearance, so I'm guessing my 1" clearance is enough.

Am I good?
Uh .. no. You really should have at least 3-4" clearance above the unit. Consider adding an external fan (eg. AC Infinity T8) to pull the warm air away from the top of the AVR.
Madmax67 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #4272 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,015
Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked: 12294
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Has anyone seen this?
On my latest X6400H that arrived this week, I was checking the firmware version (by holding setup+option and powering it on from standby). It showed "FIRMWARE ERROR" on the front panel. However on pressing status it did show the information for each item. However some of the item it showed blank like most of the HEOS items and the EtherMAC address. On repeating the status push it started showing the info. I am not sure how serious this is.
Once during Audyssey setup and once after pressing the options during movie, the receiver froze. I had to unplug and plug it back to come out of it. That is the reason I wanted to check the firmware and I encountered this.
This has come directly from Denon and was surprised not to have even Nov 2017 firmware installed.
I have now installed the Nov 2017 firmware (using USB), but the "FIRMWARE ERROR" situation mentioned above did not go away. Not sure what the deal is.
This is apparently common, however, if you give it a few minutes the additional information should display.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 03-30-2018 at 11:28 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #4273 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,015
Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked: 12294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
You won’t get Atmos from your tv to your receiver unless your tv has HDMI 2.1eARC and the receiver needs the update to take advantage of.

Can’t be done. It’s a hardware limit right now


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Atmos can be passed via either lossy DD+ (which is what Netflix currently uses and can pass via current ARC) and lossless Dolby TrueHD (which is what is on BD/Ultra BDs and would require eARC on both the TV and AVR when used by a smart app).

Although eARC was introduced as part of the HDMI 2.1 spec, it does not require HDMI 2.1. The HDMI 2.0b X3400H/X4400H/X6400H/X8500H models already have the eARC chip installed from the factory and simply need a firmware update to activate it, which isn't expected until later this summer/fall.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #4274 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 01:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Zach_N85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel.
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Uh .. no. You really should have at least 3-4" clearance above the unit. Consider adding an external fan (eg. AC Infinity T8) to pull the warm air away from the top of the AVR.
Well I'm at a bit of a problem then, because that's the only space I've got. I can't place the AVR where the Center is, because then the Center would be at the bottom of the unit. And there is not enough place on top of the AVR to place the cooling unit...

What do I do?

Home Theater

LG OLED 65" C8 | Denon AVR-X3400H | PS4 Pro
Paradigm Monitor 7 v7 | Canton GLE 456 | Morel SP-2 | SVS PB-1000
Zach_N85 is offline  
post #4275 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,015
Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked: 12294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_N85 View Post
Well I'm at a bit of a problem then, because that's the only space I've got. I can't place the AVR where the Center is, because then the Center would be at the bottom of the unit. And there is not enough place on top of the AVR to place the cooling unit...

What do I do?
Consider adding a cooling fan on the back side of the stand (although not necessarily the one shown as there are many options).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009CO543S...a-308895654368
CrabRangoon and Matt2026 like this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #4276 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 03:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Zach_N85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel.
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Consider adding a cooling fan on the back side of the stand (although not necessarily the one shown as there are many options).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009CO543S...a-308895654368
Like I said, the back part is completely open, there was a piece of wood I did not install due to the low clearance. So with plenty of clearance on the sides, and with the back wide open, does that not compensate for the 1" top clearance?

I can try relocating the shelf and move it up a few inches, but before I do that I need to know if the back part compensates. Thanks.

Home Theater

LG OLED 65" C8 | Denon AVR-X3400H | PS4 Pro
Paradigm Monitor 7 v7 | Canton GLE 456 | Morel SP-2 | SVS PB-1000
Zach_N85 is offline  
post #4277 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,580
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2085 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post

Would like to watch some Atmos movies now. I have the Gravity BD and will get The Last Jedi BD UHD next week. Any other recommendations?
Watched Blade Runner 2049 last night and thought the entertainment room was going to come apart. I don't have Atmos speakers in place, but did think this was the time to have them.
Ted99 and Matt2026 like this.
Aliens is online now  
post #4278 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,654
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2243 Post(s)
Liked: 2290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_N85 View Post
Well I'm at a bit of a problem then, because that's the only space I've got. I can't place the AVR where the Center is, because then the Center would be at the bottom of the unit. And there is not enough place on top of the AVR to place the cooling unit...

What do I do?
Before deciding on a course of action to rectify the heat issue, I would verify whether the issue exists in the first place.

Since you say that in your estimation the unit does not become "excessively hot," get yourself an inexpensive IR thermometer, such as this one, and monitor the temperature over the entire top of the AVR during operation over the course of several days. If the temperature at no time exceeds a tolerable level (say, 110°F), there is probably no need to worry about the heat unduly compromising the lifespan of your electronic components.
Madmax67 and Zach_N85 like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #4279 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 05:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Zach_N85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel.
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Before deciding on a course of action to rectify the heat issue, I would verify whether the issue exists in the first place.

Since you say that in your estimation the unit does not become "excessively hot," get yourself an inexpensive IR thermometer, such as this one, and monitor the temperature over the entire top of the AVR during operation over the course of several days. If the temperature at no time exceeds a tolerable level (say, 110°F), there is probably no need to worry about the heat unduly compromising the lifespan of your electronic components.
Thanks, good suggestion, will I be able to measure the temp through the 1" clearance?

EDIT
Unfortunately, this item does not ship to my country. Is there anywhere else I can order it online please?

Home Theater

LG OLED 65" C8 | Denon AVR-X3400H | PS4 Pro
Paradigm Monitor 7 v7 | Canton GLE 456 | Morel SP-2 | SVS PB-1000

Last edited by Zach_N85; 03-25-2018 at 05:21 AM.
Zach_N85 is offline  
post #4280 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
gossamer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismaelrvs View Post
In case you didn’t get it figured out yet, on the LG to get Atmos turned on first change the sound output to “internal speakers”, then you can turn on the Atmos toggle; leave it on and now change the sound output to Optical/HDMI ARC. Now go ahead and try to play content with Atmos from the TV apps, like “The Punisher” on Netflix. Your TV needs to be connected from your TV to your receiver using HDMI though, not optical cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Watched Blade Runner 2049 last night and thought the entertainment room was going to come apart. I don't have Atmos speakers in place, but did think this was the time to have them.
I got it going after unplugging the AVR. There was no need to flip Atmos on the TV sound menu believe it or not. But there is a choice on the iOS app to switch to Dolby Digital Atmos! Something I was not seeing before. Of course the actual remote is of no use with DV as nothing can be seen menu-wise from the Denon.

Just hate that CEC has to be involved!

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System
gossamer88 is offline  
post #4281 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
gossamer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 180
One more thing, the Gravity BD is so immersive! And as suggested, Blade Runner 2049 is done right when needed. Can't wait to rewatch The Last Jedi on UHD BD next week!

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System
gossamer88 is offline  
post #4282 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,654
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2243 Post(s)
Liked: 2290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_N85 View Post
Thanks, good suggestion, will I be able to measure the temp through the 1" clearance?
Pretty much, yes, Just aim the laser at the spot you want to measure, although you might need to pull the AVR out a bit or use some creativity to reach the very rearmost section of the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_N85 View Post
Unfortunately, this item does not ship to my country.Is there anywhere else I can order it online please?
Sure, there are many different models available depending on your location. Here's a long list of selections on eBay (all under $15), as an example.

Just do a search-engine query for "digital laser IR thermometer" or similar search term.
Madmax67 likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703

Last edited by chi_guy50; 03-25-2018 at 06:40 AM.
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #4283 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 06:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Zach_N85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel.
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Pretty much, yes, Just aim the laser at the spot you want to measure, although you might need to pull the AVR out a bit or use some creativity to reach the very rearmost section of the top.



Sure, there are many different models available depending on your location. Here's a long list of selections on eBay (all under $15), as an example.

Just do a search-engine query for "digital laser IR thermometer" or similar search term.
Cheers, thank you!

Home Theater

LG OLED 65" C8 | Denon AVR-X3400H | PS4 Pro
Paradigm Monitor 7 v7 | Canton GLE 456 | Morel SP-2 | SVS PB-1000
Zach_N85 is offline  
post #4284 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 06:57 AM
Member
 
Benlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading my ageing Denon AVR-3808 to the latest Denon AVR-X3400H. Part of the reason is because I want to enjoy Dolby Atmos soundtrack on my bluray movies. However, a lot of my current and older movies still come with the standard lossless DTS/TrueHD 5.1 soundtracks. I am wondering if I will hear a difference ( ie better sound ) when playing back these movies on the new receiver.

These are the specs of the two receivers.

https://www.denon.sg/sg/product/home...iver/avrx3400h

https://www.cnet.com/products/denon-avr-3808ci/specs/

If I just compared specs it looks to me that my 3808 is more powerful in watts but then I am not an expert.

Will appreciate any advise. Thanks in advance.
Benlee is offline  
post #4285 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,654
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2243 Post(s)
Liked: 2290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benlee View Post
Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading my ageing Denon AVR-3808 to the latest Denon AVR-X3400H. Part of the reason is because I want to enjoy Dolby Atmos soundtrack on my bluray movies. However, a lot of my current and older movies still come with the standard lossless DTS/TrueHD 5.1 soundtracks. I am wondering if I will hear a difference ( ie better sound ) when playing back these movies on the new receiver.

These are the specs of the two receivers.

https://www.denon.sg/sg/product/home...iver/avrx3400h

https://www.cnet.com/products/denon-avr-3808ci/specs/

If I just compared specs it looks to me that my 3808 is more powerful in watts but then I am not an expert.

Will appreciate any advise. Thanks in advance.
There are obviously many technological and feature advancements in the newer unit, so I assume your question relates to an apples-to-apples comparison of the two AVR's in native playback of lossless 5.1 audio (i.e., without respect to upmixing). One element that may impact on the AQ here is the acoustic calibration upgrade in the AVR-X3400H to Audyssey MultEQ XT32 from the AVR-3808CI's MultEQ XT. However, whether this will result in an audible difference may depend on your room and speakers.

Perhaps someone who is familiar with the 3808CI can provide a more informed response.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #4286 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,563
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6676 Post(s)
Liked: 6672
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Before deciding on a course of action to rectify the heat issue, I would verify whether the issue exists in the first place.
You are right, some guys just don't drive their receivers like others do. See if you have an issue before you fix it Be careful in the meantime.
Zach_N85 likes this.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #4287 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
aaranddeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lover's State
Posts: 4,079
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Not a good deal, that's for sure. Unless all of this info displays, there's an internal issue with the unit. Refer to post 5 and do the "Network Reset" procedure. If the issue still presents, give Denon a call.
Thanks.
I tried it and even Microprocessor reset to no avail...
Such a disappointment. Let's see what Denon has to say.
aaranddeeman is offline  
post #4288 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 09:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Gyroscopics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benlee View Post
Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading my ageing Denon AVR-3808 to the latest Denon AVR-X3400H. Part of the reason is because I want to enjoy Dolby Atmos soundtrack on my bluray movies. However, a lot of my current and older movies still come with the standard lossless DTS/TrueHD 5.1 soundtracks. I am wondering if I will hear a difference ( ie better sound ) when playing back these movies on the new receiver.

These are the specs of the two receivers.

https://www.denon.sg/sg/product/home...iver/avrx3400h

https://www.cnet.com/products/denon-avr-3808ci/specs/

If I just compared specs it looks to me that my 3808 is more powerful in watts but then I am not an expert.

Will appreciate any advise. Thanks in advance.

I have the X4400H. Apart from the technological and feature advancements, the biggest sonic advantage over my older Denon models (3805 & 4310) is the Audyssey II. My 4310 with original Audyssey could never get room correction right. The results were always brighter than my preference. In fairness, my living room has hardwood floors and 30 ft cathedral ceiling. The 4400 got it right in the first iteration with Audyssey II.

The 4400 can still decode Dolby TrueHD/DTS Master Audio like the 4310. But with 7.2.4 configuration (height speakers added), the 4400 adds height dimension rendering effects never experienced before in my 4310's 7.1 configuration. The Dolby Digital + DDS mode can even spice up normal 5.1 shows from cable (DDS = inferred height signals). I have yet to hear (watch) movies with native Auro-3D content, as most 4K blu-rays released in US come with Dolby Atmos. But Auro-3D sounds good for multi-ch music. Speaking of which, I need to revisit my multi-ch SACD collection which are piling dust atm
joe221 likes this.
Gyroscopics is offline  
post #4289 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
I did rerun it and went the 4 position route. I was trying to avoid it because one of my dogs gets the shakes from the sound. She is super sensitive to thunder and fireworks as well.

Would like to watch some Atmos movies now. I have the Gravity BD and will get The Last Jedi BD UHD next week. Any other recommendations?

BTW, I still cannot figure out the Atmos from my LG. I would like to use the built-in Vudu app especially for Thor Ragnarok (UHD/Atmos). As I said earlier, all I get is two channels. CEC is enabled on both the TV and Denon. LG even had a Atmos toggle in the Sound menu but it is grayed out...WTH?!!
I got an Atmos demo disk on ebay. Some are charging way more than reasonable but I found a seller more reasonable and got one. They are helpful as you can get a variety of sample scenes and music and test patterns. I wish Dolby would direct sell these, same with dts.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA

Last edited by joe221; 03-25-2018 at 10:58 AM.
joe221 is offline  
post #4290 of 12282 Old 03-25-2018, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_N85 View Post
Thanks, good suggestion, will I be able to measure the temp through the 1" clearance?

EDIT
Unfortunately, this item does not ship to my country. Is there anywhere else I can order it online please?
There are many of that type of thermometer. Just search for a vendor that ships to you. You will notice, other than the color, most are identified from the same factory in China. They all work well enough for non-critical testing. Fluke makes some for critical testing .

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , connectivity , Denon , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , Pioneer , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , subwoofer denon test tone , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , zone 2

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off