"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 165 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136576Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4921 of 13337 Old 04-17-2018, 06:42 PM
Member
 
BensonTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
Do you have your HDMI input on the receiver set to enhanced?
Yes! I turned it off and on but really can’t tell the diff..
BensonTT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4922 of 13337 Old 04-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
camd5pt0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lushious View Post
When I run Audyssey I get no test tones out of my Top Rear speakers, which are powered by an external amp. That doesn't seem right, as the instructions say to turn on any external amps. If I am running normal audio feed, those speakers produce sound, just not during Audyssey.

Am I missing something? x4400h here.
Which external amp are you using? I'm asking because I'm looking for a solution for my own benefit.

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
camd5pt0 is offline  
post #4923 of 13337 Old 04-17-2018, 08:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've got an S930H. I'm trying to save the config settings to USB, but there doesn't seem to be any response. I've tried a number of different USB thumb drives, all formatted to FAT32. For some of them, nothing happens when I select "Save" from the Denon's menu -- no write LED flashing on the thumb drive or indication of progress on the AVR front panel. For a few other drives, when I select "Save" there is a follow-up dialog asking me to insert a USB (even though there was previously one inserted). After that, I get the same response when clicking "OK" -- nothing.

Is this a matter of letting it sit for a while to finish, or should I be seeing some indication that the save progress is occurring?
Ludditus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4924 of 13337 Old 04-17-2018, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 87,409
Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24523 Post(s)
Liked: 13760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludditus View Post
I've got an S930H. I'm trying to save the config settings to USB, but there doesn't seem to be any response. I've tried a number of different USB thumb drives, all formatted to FAT32. For some of them, nothing happens when I select "Save" from the Denon's menu -- no write LED flashing on the thumb drive or indication of progress on the AVR front panel. For a few other drives, when I select "Save" there is a follow-up dialog asking me to insert a USB (even though there was previously one inserted). After that, I get the same response when clicking "OK" -- nothing.

Is this a matter of letting it sit for a while to finish, or should I be seeing some indication that the save progress is occurring?
The latter not to mention the SAVE should only take a minute or two at the most. Try doing a "soft reset" by powering off the AVR and unplugging the power cord for 10 minutes. If still no joy, ensure you can copy files to the thumb drives via a laptop. If yes, then next step would be a "hard reset" which will wipe out all current settings to include Audyssey but may restore the SAVE feature.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #4925 of 13337 Old 04-17-2018, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
DJ Lushious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Check your "Channel selection" on Audyssey screen. Those speaker may have been skipped from measurement.
Wow, the fail whale beached on me BIG time. I had momentarily tried amping the Front speakers, rather than the Top Rear, on account of my amp going into standby when the volume was low (see below). And guess what? I never switched the RCA cables over. It's been like this for days. /facePalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
Which external amp are you using? I'm asking because I'm looking for a solution for my own benefit.
Russound P75. I can't vouch for it versus any other, as this is the only external amp I've ever used in all my years. I have to keep the amp on all the time, as when it is in standby mode it has a tendency to go into standby when there's not enough of a signal going to the speakers it's powering (low volume, not enough sound, or no sound). Think powered subwoofer standby mode, except no sound comes out of the speakers when it's in standby mode.

Maybe this is normal, may be it isn't. Someone else would have to comment on this behavior.
camd5pt0 likes this.
DJ Lushious is offline  
post #4926 of 13337 Old 04-17-2018, 09:20 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
Just received and set up the AVRX3400H today and I am running into some issues...

Source devices:
  • Dish Hopper (not concerned about this one) HDMI to the Denon
  • PS4 Pro (4K HDR compatible) HDMI to the Denon
  • Roku Ultra (4K HDR compatible) HDMI to the Denon
  • Samsung UBD-M9500 (4K HDR compatible) HDMI 1 output hooked up directly to the TV; HDMI 2 output hooked up to the Denon for audio

TV:
  • Brand New Samsung 2018 Q8F 65"

Receiver:
  • Denon AVRX3400H

I have read through the first few posts in this thread, and made some menu changes within the Denon:
  • "(HDMI Enhanced mode, "Samsung: Settings | Picture | Expert Settings/Picture Options | HDMI UHD Color)"
  • 7. Source will not pass 4k/60Hz HDR10: Set the new for 2017 "4k Signal Format" setting to "Enhanced."

I still can't seem to get all of the 4K HDR features that I'm looking for. When I hook the PS4 Pro & Roku directly to the TV, I can get all 4K HDR 60Hz options. When I hook them up to the Denon and then onto the TV, I don't get the HDR 60Hz option.

Any thoughts as to why the Denon isn't passing all of the 4K HDR formats along? All of my HDMI cables are fine because I know they work when I hook directly to the TV.

EDIT: OK, I just had to power cycle all of the equipment and now I have the Roku enabled at 4K HDR 60Hz. But I am getting stumped with the PS4 Pro. I will post some video of what's happening in a few moments...
I'm having same issue with denon avr x3300w and my Samsung q8f. Read of others with similar issue but don't know of any current fix. Would love to hear if you get anything figured out.
ERDR is offline  
post #4927 of 13337 Old 04-17-2018, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ckenisell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,016
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERDR View Post
I'm having same issue with denon avr x3300w and my Samsung q8f. Read of others with similar issue but don't know of any current fix. Would love to hear if you get anything figured out.
It's likely an issue with the Q8FN. The Samsung engineers are looking into it. If you send me a PM, I will pass along your contact information with my Samsung contacts so they can can start to recognize a pattern here. They are working directly with Denon to determine the cause and develop a solution. This is all within the last 5 or 6 working days.
vn800art likes this.

Chet
ckenisell is offline  
post #4928 of 13337 Old 04-18-2018, 01:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 8,918
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6202 Post(s)
Liked: 9025
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
Thanks for your willingness to help. If you will go back and do a search for ckenisell in this thread, you will see that I have been through all of that already. Denon blames Samsung. Samsung doesn't know, but they are looking into it. I have Enhanced turned on and all other overlay and conversion stuff turned off. Certified 18Gbps 6' and 3' HDMI cables. Been through a week and a half of support with level 3 Denon tech support. They finally threw their hands up and said that it's an incompatibility. Oh, and this is my second brand new 3400H. Both exhibited the same issue.
Fair enough, apologies for not realising you'd done that. Just to check, you're not using either Cal-Day or Cal-Night Picture modes on the Samsung - HDR switching in those modes is broken, and you'd need to use Movie/Standard/HDR+ / Game for HDR content arriving via HDMI sources.
I'm sure it's not that because you said it works with a direct cable, but just in case it helps anyone else.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #4929 of 13337 Old 04-18-2018, 08:21 AM
Senior Member
 
calvinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greenville. SC
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
??s about Zone 2 and HEOS / Bluetooth

Greetings! I have an S930 on order but I'm trying to figure out a few things.

Regarding Zone2, I do understand that you cannot send digital or HDMI source material to Zone 2, unless there is an analog cable attached, correct? How about BlueTooth or AirPlay? Assuming you are watching/listening to cable or Blu-Ray in Zone 1, can you send Bluetooth audio or Airplay to Zone 2? Just wondering how that works... Regarding HEOS, does it only work with HEOS wireless speakers? Or can you use the "HEOS module" to send audio to the wired speakers? Can you send it to Zone 2 while watching a digital source in Zone 1? Much thanks for any help...
calvinb is offline  
post #4930 of 13337 Old 04-18-2018, 08:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Ugg, I wish I got the 4400. I have the 3400 and thought it could do 7.2.2 with an extra amp ;-(

Denon 4300 receiver. Infinity speaker setup (SM line which is SM-122 up front an SM-82 in the rear and ceiling) along with a center channel (not SM line but maybe I should swap it out). Xbox One S source for Blu Ray and 4K blu Ray. Sony XBR850B.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-24-hours.html
kfh227 is offline  
post #4931 of 13337 Old 04-18-2018, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 87,409
Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24523 Post(s)
Liked: 13760
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinb View Post
Greetings! I have an S930 on order but I'm trying to figure out a few things.

Regarding Zone2, I do understand that you cannot send digital or HDMI source material to Zone 2, unless there is an analog cable attached, correct? How about BlueTooth or AirPlay? Assuming you are watching/listening to cable or Blu-Ray in Zone 1, can you send Bluetooth audio or Airplay to Zone 2? Just wondering how that works... Regarding HEOS, does it only work with HEOS wireless speakers? Or can you use the "HEOS module" to send audio to the wired speakers? Can you send it to Zone 2 while watching a digital source in Zone 1? Much thanks for any help...
1. Correct, on the X2400H and lower models to include the S930H.
2. Network, Bluetooth, and Airplay audio will pass just fine.
3. Yup. Whole point of Zone 2 is to be able to pass either the same source or an independent source than what is playing in the main zone.
4. Yup. HEOS wireless speakers only and Zone 2 source can be passed to them. Note, however, that the HEOS wireless speakers are actually their own zones (ie. you can have up to 32 HEOS speakers as independent zones able to receive up to 8 different sources).
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #4932 of 13337 Old 04-18-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 26,360
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7613 Post(s)
Liked: 7672
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
It's likely an issue with the Q8FN. The Samsung engineers are looking into it. If you send me a PM, I will pass along your contact information with my Samsung contacts so they can can start to recognize a pattern here. They are working directly with Denon to determine the cause and develop a solution. This is all within the last 5 or 6 working days.
I will be honest, I have never seen a TV manufacturer care so much, that is sweet. I will say that Denon is a very popular line so Samsung is smart doing this
joe221 and ckenisell like this.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #4933 of 13337 Old 04-18-2018, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ckenisell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,016
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I will be honest, I have never seen a TV manufacturer care so much, that is sweet. I will say that Denon is a very popular line so Samsung is smart doing this
Totally agree. The effort is definitely great. Now we just need execution and resolution.
mrtickleuk and vn800art like this.

Chet
ckenisell is offline  
post #4934 of 13337 Old 04-18-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Correct, however, the X2400H adds the ability to play an analog audio source connected to the CD input rather than just network, USB, Tuner audio with the X1400H.
Can you elaborate on this a little more? I would not be hooking up a CD player. For music on zone 2 I am guessing the majority of the music will come from my iTunes Library (either on my Synology NAS that is on my network or via my iPhone/Airplay).

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
bodean is offline  
post #4935 of 13337 Old 04-18-2018, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,498
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked: 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensonTT View Post
Hey guys on the 4400H, do you guys actually setup all 7 or 8 positions on Audyssey? I only setup 3 cause my room is not that big..
My rooms around 13x10 and I use all 8 available mic positions in a close mic format broken down in the Audyssey thread. 3 is just the minimum to be able to check your sub levels without having to finish all 8. It's not meant to be used as a quicker way to optimize EQ. Tighten the mic positions up at the MLP and run all 8 would be my recommend. Good luck.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #4936 of 13337 Old 04-18-2018, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 87,409
Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24523 Post(s)
Liked: 13760
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Can you elaborate on this a little more? I would not be hooking up a CD player. For music on zone 2 I am guessing the majority of the music will come from my iTunes Library (either on my Synology NAS that is on my network or via my iPhone/Airplay).
Simply means you can connect an analog audio source (using the CD source name) to the AVR and play it while watching HDMI video from another source.

The <Video Select> feature will work with HDMI video and network audio on all network capable models (ie. all but S530BT which is Bluetooth only).

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 04-20-2018 at 01:19 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #4937 of 13337 Old 04-18-2018, 07:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Reposting re: Automatic Update 4/13/1018

Posting my question again as I haven't seen any response, unless I overlooked one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Burke View Post
Got an automatic update on my AVR-X3400H which started at midnight [on 4/13/18]. Took about 5-6 minutes total.

Version now sitting at 6200-6234-6451-2044.
Denon's last official firmware listed for that model in both US and EU is from November 2017, with version number 6200-3073-6461-0034.

@jdsmoothie - do you have any insight?
Matt Burke is offline  
post #4938 of 13337 Old 04-18-2018, 09:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Burke View Post
Posting my question again as I haven't seen any response, unless I overlooked one.



Denon's last official firmware listed for that model in both US and EU is from November 2017, with version number 6200-3073-6461-0034.

@jdsmoothie - do you have any insight?
That in your other post was the version release 2-14-2018. You can see the details in post 6 on page 1 of this thread.

Denon's website is seldom updated to reflect recent releases and is often months behind.

Denon AVR‑X3400H; Pioneer SP-C22 (C), Pioneer SP-FS52-LR (F/LR), Pioneer SP-BS22-LR (R/LR & FH), BIC America V-1220 (SB)
Vizio P55-C1, Apple TV 4K, TiVo Bolt OTA, Sony UBP-X700, NAP TS-253 Pro w/ Plex, URC MX-700Q, Sevenhugs Smart Remote

Last edited by callworth; 04-18-2018 at 09:22 PM.
callworth is offline  
post #4939 of 13337 Old 04-18-2018, 09:24 PM
Member
 
BensonTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
My rooms around 13x10 and I use all 8 available mic positions in a close mic format broken down in the Audyssey thread. 3 is just the minimum to be able to check your sub levels without having to finish all 8. It's not meant to be used as a quicker way to optimize EQ. Tighten the mic positions up at the MLP and run all 8 would be my recommend. Good luck.
Thank you. I did do all 8 and it did sounded better..
joe221 and mrtickleuk like this.
BensonTT is offline  
post #4940 of 13337 Old 04-18-2018, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,498
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked: 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensonTT View Post
Thank you. I did do all 8 and it did sounded better..
Good job.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #4941 of 13337 Old 04-18-2018, 10:43 PM
Member
 
jtowers11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I noticed today on my 3400H when watching a Blu Ray with DTS-HD MA audio, the Denon plays it as DTS-HD Neural:X. I googled this and it sounds like it's used to upmix audio tracks to take advantage of all of your speakers (ex. playing a movie with 5.1 audio on a 5.1.2 setup, it will upmix it to use the extra .2 speakers).

However I am watching something with 5.1 audio, and I have a 5.1 setup. So I'm not sure what's going on. Has anyone experienced this or know what I should do?
jtowers11 is offline  
post #4942 of 13337 Old 04-19-2018, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Quicksilv3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orangeville Canada
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtowers11 View Post
I noticed today on my 3400H when watching a Blu Ray with DTS-HD MA audio, the Denon plays it as DTS-HD Neural:X. I googled this and it sounds like it's used to upmix audio tracks to take advantage of all of your speakers (ex. playing a movie with 5.1 audio on a 5.1.2 setup, it will upmix it to use the extra .2 speakers).

However I am watching something with 5.1 audio, and I have a 5.1 setup. So I'm not sure what's going on. Has anyone experienced this or know what I should do?
Hit the green movie button on the bottom of the remote and that will change the sound mode to DTS HD MA

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
jtowers11 likes this.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
Quicksilv3r is online now  
post #4943 of 13337 Old 04-19-2018, 04:29 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks, @callworth .

I had referenced that post, but since it only lists dates and no version numbers, paired with the fact that I could have sworn I already got that 2/14/18 update back in February, I wanted to check.
There isn't a numbering convention I am overlooking to convert between firmware version and firmware release date, is there?
Matt Burke is offline  
post #4944 of 13337 Old 04-19-2018, 05:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Mark Dymek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Anyone on this thread have an Apple TV and are having issues with Dolby vision? I’m purchased the super duper cables that Denon is recommended and it still does not work. If I plug the Apple TV directly into my tv I am getting Dolby vision so it does work just not when being passed through the Denon.

An interesting tidbit when I go into the receiver into enhanced 4K mode it says my tv is not compatible with 4K hdr and it is. I have a 2016 Vizio p series.
Mark Dymek is offline  
post #4945 of 13337 Old 04-19-2018, 08:02 AM
Senior Member
 
smdelaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Greater Boston, MA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 520
eARC Firmware Update?

One of the retailers promoted on the AVSForum Home page makes the following claim about the AVR-X3400H:

"It is even ready for Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) for 3D audio broadcast over TV. eARC is available via a future firmware update."

I don't remember seeing that previously on the Denon USA page but it is definitely there now under "FUTUREPROOF IN ANY WAY." I thought eARC was HDMI 2.1 dependent which was in turn dependent on hardware that is only now starting to become available.

Is this full eARC or some limited implementation?
Is that firmware update likely to be made available for the X2400H models or lower at some point?
TripStrip likes this.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
smdelaney is offline  
post #4946 of 13337 Old 04-19-2018, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
 
ChicagoChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Rather than use "AUTO" better to simply select the MOVIE button and select the surround mode you want to use for the given audio signal. This selection will be remembered the next time that audio signal is received from that source. The DTS decoder will simulate the SURROUND audio in a 5.1 audio track to the SURROUND BACK speakers as well.
JD @ all,

Quick question here. When i had DirectTV and Blu-ray, it was very simple to know what audio format i had with my older Denon as it would show Dolby Digital on the AVR panel.

Now that i have moved on to using streaming and pure Apple TV and using a X2400H its a bit confusing. Using DirectTVNow and/or Netflix, some but not all content is in 5.1 (DD +).

I want make sure my 2400H is set up correctly and i am not 100% sure. When i look at the on screen GUI, it tells me what speakers are being used so thats been my cue.

What should my X2400H show when receiving DD+ or DD? Right now, when streaming Netflix 5.1 it shows, the first pic below. On non-5.1, it shows the second pic. Everything look good? Thanks, as always, in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1373.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	2392754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1377.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	2392758  
ChicagoChris is offline  
post #4947 of 13337 Old 04-19-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 8,918
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6202 Post(s)
Liked: 9025
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
I want make sure my 2400H is set up correctly and i am not 100% sure. When i look at the on screen GUI, it tells me what speakers are being used so thats been my cue.
You can always use the Android/iPhone app too, to get the exact same displays to show which speakers are being used. When you're using ARC audio from streaming and the On-Screen-Display from Denon is obviously impossible, this is invaluable.

Quote:
What should my X2400H show when receiving DD+ or DD? Right now, when streaming Netflix 5.1 it shows, the first pic below. On non-5.1, it shows the second pic. Everything look good? Thanks, as always, in advance!
Don't know the exact answer as different models have different numbers of lines on the front panel, so use different techniques to cram it all into the space. However, do try using the app

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #4948 of 13337 Old 04-19-2018, 11:41 AM
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
Ohhh....You want some magical solution... I get it...

Do you have a subwoofer? Or do you have a 3.0 setup (LCR)?
Thats not a magical solution, thats just ignorant. Wanting MID-bass from capable speakers is not some unicorn haha - anyway i solved my issue with speaker alteration.
CrazyCramers is offline  
post #4949 of 13337 Old 04-19-2018, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
DJ Lushious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
JD @ all,

Quick question here. When i had DirectTV and Blu-ray, it was very simple to know what audio format i had with my older Denon as it would show Dolby Digital on the AVR panel.

Now that i have moved on to using streaming and pure Apple TV and using a X2400H its a bit confusing. Using DirectTVNow and/or Netflix, some but not all content is in 5.1 (DD +).

I want make sure my 2400H is set up correctly and i am not 100% sure. When i look at the on screen GUI, it tells me what speakers are being used so thats been my cue.

What should my X2400H show when receiving DD+ or DD? Right now, when streaming Netflix 5.1 it shows, the first pic below. On non-5.1, it shows the second pic. Everything look good? Thanks, as always, in advance!
"M In", if I had to guess, means "Multi Channel In," which would mean the signal is coming in via PCM. If the signal were DD or DD+, then it would think it would say Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital+.

Given all those assumptions, since you're using your AppleTV and its outputting PCM, know that it's decoding the best signal available and piping it out via PCM. So, in the case of Netflix, it will be in DD+, where available. I don't know enough about DirectTVNow to say what its native audio feed is.

Or, as @mrtickleuk said, use the App. The "?" icon in the screen where all the controls are shows the AVR Info and you can cycle between what the AVR is receiving and what it is outputting.
DJ Lushious is offline  
post #4950 of 13337 Old 04-19-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 8,918
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6202 Post(s)
Liked: 9025
Examples attached. Very clear



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Denon-input.png
Views:	635
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	2392776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Denon-output.png
Views:	593
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	2392778  
DJ Lushious likes this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , audio , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , center , circuit breaker , connectivity , Denon , denon avrx3400h , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , optical inputs , Pioneer , powering off , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , shut off , subwoofer denon test tone , theater , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , yellow glue , zone 2

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off