"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136222Likes

post #4951 of 12281 Old 04-19-2018, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
You can always use the Android/iPhone app too, to get the exact same displays to show which speakers are being used. When you're using ARC audio from streaming and the On-Screen-Display from Denon is obviously impossible, this is invaluable.

Don't know the exact answer as different models have different numbers of lines on the front panel, so use different techniques to cram it all into the space. However, do try using the app
@mrtickleuk ....nice idea! I forgot about the app. Thanks!
mrtickleuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 12281 Old 04-19-2018, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. Better to just use the default font color rather than the "Sandy Brown" you selected in your post as it is difficult to read.
2. The AVR is not defective, rather simply an HDMI handshake issue that can occur with some TVs. As a test, try powering on the TV first, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, then source. Power off the TV and select the audio source. Does the source audio play? Regardless, power both AVR and source OFF and then power on just the AVR, pause 5 seconds, source audio. Does the source audio play? If no joy, you may need to add a device to copy the TV's EDID info (eg. HDMI Dectective or Dr HDMI).

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14106
Hi @jdsmoothie .

I tried the suggestion and even unplugged my tv but the HDMI out from AVR was connected to the TV, and the problem continues, im going to try to replace the HDMI cable but still not understanding why does the TV need to be powered on for sound output from the AVR when it is connected to the TV in.

I tired Tuner, internet radio, airplay same issue accross,
another visual i noticed is that the signal coming in from the firestick/chromcast the PCM signal would keep flashing on the AVR main display, this is on the right hand side which gives the user information of the input signal coming into the AVR, and once the TV is powered on the blinking signal icon stays permanently on showing the input signal and thats when the AVR works perfectly
could this be an HDMI board issue , i faced the same massive ISSUE with my old AVR 1910 which i loved by the way and with a heavy heart had to give up, on grounds that the board is no longer made and had to be replaced and thats why i went it for AVR X2400H, but, to be honest i find the sound of my previous AVR 1910 much much better , it was deeper and warmer compared to the new one.

Thanks everyone!any help would be great and thanks @jdsmoothie
post #4953 of 12281 Old 04-19-2018, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
One of the retailers promoted on the AVSForum Home page makes the following claim about the AVR-X3400H:

"It is even ready for Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) for 3D audio broadcast over TV. eARC is available via a future firmware update."

I don't remember seeing that previously on the Denon USA page but it is definitely there now under "FUTUREPROOF IN ANY WAY." I thought eARC was HDMI 2.1 dependent which was in turn dependent on hardware that is only now starting to become available.

Is this full eARC or some limited implementation?
Is that firmware update likely to be made available for the X2400H models or lower at some point?
eARC is a feature of HDMI 2.1, but can be implemented over HDMI 2.0 if the hardware supports it and the manufacturer wants it.
eARC is only available for AVR-X3400H and up.
So not for lower models.
Let's see if this year eARC will get down to lower 2018 models (AVR-X2500H, AVR-X1500H).
Madmax67 and TripStrip like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4954 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22581 Post(s)
Liked: 12289
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
One of the retailers promoted on the AVSForum Home page makes the following claim about the AVR-X3400H:

"It is even ready for Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) for 3D audio broadcast over TV. eARC is available via a future firmware update."

I don't remember seeing that previously on the Denon USA page but it is definitely there now under "FUTUREPROOF IN ANY WAY." I thought eARC was HDMI 2.1 dependent which was in turn dependent on hardware that is only now starting to become available.

Is this full eARC or some limited implementation?
Is that firmware update likely to be made available for the X2400H models or lower at some point?
1. This is the full eARC capability.
2. I have provided a lot of very helpful information in the first 8 posts of this thread (as noted in the thread title) to include the information in post 1 that the eARC firmware update will only be made available to the X3400H and upper level models most likely later this summer/fall. Note however, that unless the TV also receives an eARC update (or is eARC capable from the factory), this feature will not be of any benefit.
TripStrip likes this.
post #4955 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBB1983 View Post
Hi @jdsmoothie .

I tried the suggestion and even unplugged my tv but the HDMI out from AVR was connected to the TV, and the problem continues, im going to try to replace the HDMI cable but still not understanding why does the TV need to be powered on for sound output from the AVR when it is connected to the TV in.

I tired Tuner, internet radio, airplay same issue accross,
another visual i noticed is that the signal coming in from the firestick/chromcast the PCM signal would keep flashing on the AVR main display, this is on the right hand side which gives the user information of the input signal coming into the AVR, and once the TV is powered on the blinking signal icon stays permanently on showing the input signal and thats when the AVR works perfectly
could this be an HDMI board issue , i faced the same massive ISSUE with my old AVR 1910 which i loved by the way and with a heavy heart had to give up, on grounds that the board is no longer made and had to be replaced and thats why i went it for AVR X2400H, but, to be honest i find the sound of my previous AVR 1910 much much better , it was deeper and warmer compared to the new one.

Thanks everyone!any help would be great and thanks @jdsmoothie
As previously noted, in some cases, the complete HDMI chain (source --> AVR --> TV) must be present in order for audio only from the AVR. In these instances, if you are not able to resolve the HDMI handshake issue, the problem is generally resolved by adding an EDID device between the AVR and TV as previously suggested.
post #4956 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 08:15 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6669 Post(s)
Liked: 6666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
Totally agree. The effort is definitely great. Now we just need execution and resolution.
Did you look into that link I sent, was your issue fixed with the last firmware update?
post #4957 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
graphic EQ unavailable

I just replaced my AVR-2310CI with an AVR-X3400H, and I've not been able to access the manual graphic EQ function (it's greyed out). I've tried turning off Audyssey, but "graphic EQ" remains greyed out.
I've run through the setup menu, manual, thread search, and the sticky posts at the start of the thread but haven't been able to figure out what I'm missing. Any suggestions?
I ran the Audyssey setup successfully (had to tweak the subs level in my Def. Tech. speakers), but I still like to use the manual EQ setup for some multichannel and stereo music sources. I used manual settings starting with a copy of the Audyssey EQ/levels on the 2310, and it appears the 3400 works the same way if I can figure out how to get there... I'd like to try the graphic EQ before springing for the Audyssey phone app.
post #4958 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Did you look into that link I sent, was your issue fixed with the last firmware update?
I did. I already had all of the most recent firmwares and the issue was not fixed. However, I do have an update that I will provide in my next post.
joe221 likes this.

Chet
post #4959 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I have heard back from my Samsung rep regarding the X3400H/Q8F handshake issue. Here's what he sent this morning. (The names have been removed to protect the innocent.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungRep
Good morning Chet,

Good news.

Denon found the root cause of issue on their side and already has a fix!

See below response from Denon’s engineering manager. Firmware fix will be available May 16th. If you wish, I can ask them to send me a trial version for you to test. Not sure if this possible (totally up to Denon).

I’m not familiar with Denon so I don’t know if this is even possible. Our TVs can be updated online or vis USB. Not sure how Denon works. I’m sure they have similar procedure. But maybe worth the try.

Please let me know.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

He included his most recent confirmation from Denon which read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisDenonRep
Hello [SamsungRep],

I confirmed the EDID and I found the issue that already resolved internally by our side, as you know, new Samsung TV supports ALLM(Auto Low Latency Mode) defined in HDMI2.1 and Samsung EDID block length has been extended due to support ALLM, our AVRs issue happen when this block length extension applied in EDID, We are planning to apply the firmware update on May. 16th for AVR-X3400H, could you please inform trying the AVR firmware update during that date?

Thank you,

So it WAS the Denon after all. I am hoping to gain early access to this firmware as my final return date for the Denon is before May 16th.
joe221, cfraser, 0100010 and 4 others like this.

Chet
post #4960 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
So I have heard back from my Samsung rep regarding the X3400H/Q8F handshake issue. Here's what he sent this morning. (The names have been removed to protect the innocent.)

So it WAS the Denon after all. I am hoping to gain early access to this firmware as my final return date for the Denon is before May 16th.

Would you mind asking them if this firmware update will apply to the x3300w, or maybe pm me the contact info for Denon? Strong work on this issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #4961 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiner View Post
I just replaced my AVR-2310CI with an AVR-X3400H, and I've not been able to access the manual graphic EQ function (it's greyed out). /SNIP/ I used manual settings starting with a copy of the Audyssey EQ/levels on the 2310, and it appears the 3400 works the same way if I can figure out how to get there... I'd like to try the graphic EQ before springing for the Audyssey phone app.

Duh... not an option while the input source is not active. The option was immediately available with Audyssee disabled and a multichannel DSD>PCM file playing.
post #4962 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 343
ckenisell, could you ask Denon what other models (especially the X2400H) are impacted by this EDID block length limitation on the Denon receivers? Thanks for your effort on this. Having been through issues like this with other systems that have interface issues I know how much time and energy it takes to get to the place where the problem is acknowledged by one side of a problematic interface and then a fix is in the pipeline. Good job.
post #4963 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL99 View Post
ckenisell, could you ask Denon what other models (especially the X2400H) are impacted by this EDID block length limitation on the Denon receivers? Thanks for your effort on this. Having been through issues like this with other systems that have interface issues I know how much time and energy it takes to get to the place where the problem is acknowledged by one side of a problematic interface and then a fix is in the pipeline. Good job.
Thanks for the kudos, but we're not quite out of the woods yet. Just out of curiosity, when Denon has sent out a new firmware in the past, which models were affected? Isn't there one firmware to cover several models within their line?

Chet
post #4964 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:

Great job of sticking with it. I'm impressed. To me it still was the Samsung and not the Denon though and I'll explain my thinking like this:

Say a commercial doorway meets all current specs for access(height/width/which way the door opens for ingress/egress etc... Then you have an out of current spec couch(Samsung TV) (that couldn't wait for the specs full implementation) that you want to get through the currently in spec doorway but can't. While waiting there patiently sitting on your over sized couch the engineers for the doorway show up and redesign the opening on the fly to accommodate the upcoming furniture size spec and you're on your way through the door.

Saying ,"I told you it was the doorway" as you lug your over sized out of current spec couch through to the next too small in spec doorway seems like a stretch in my mind but at least you ran down the issue and have a firmware fix on the way. HDMI 2.1 isn't even fully tested let alone replacing any current doorways plus ALLM to my reading of it is a niche ho hum 2.1 feature and could have waited.

It's a similar scenario with the recent low latency Dolby Vision/Sony fiasco. Just in that case the receiver manufactures already had the low latency passthrough capabilities included and it was the source device players who's doors were too small but almost no one blamed them in the forums however. They all blamed Dolby and Sony. This is definitely the wild, wild west regarding HDMI upgrades and I think unfortunately it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 04-20-2018 at 01:51 PM.
post #4965 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERDR View Post
Would you mind asking them if this firmware update will apply to the x3300w, or maybe pm me the contact info for Denon? Strong work on this issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Why would it? Denon has made no promises regarding any HDMI 2.1 features being supported on 2016 models plus this ALLM looks like even more of a snooze fest feature than QMS.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-1-i...-about-it-now/

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #4966 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

ALLM huh? Something else I will need to look out for at work... (ETA : not from the feature standpoint - but same EDID related issues here.)

Insert signature here.
LR : E65-C3 | HW-MS750 | SWA-W700
HT : ES 120" | JVC RS-520 | Oppo-203 | Denon X3400H 5.1.2 | ELAC A4.2 B6.2 C6.2 F6.2 & VTF-15MK2
post #4967 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL99 View Post
Denon already had the firmware patch in testing at the time of the call so I assume you're talking about acknowledgment from Samsung?

Denon rep:

"I confirmed the EDID and I found the issue that already resolved internally by our side"

post #4968 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 02:28 PM

With 9 internal amps I was hoping to run a 5.1.2 setup (or a 7.1, basically I have a 5.1 setup with two Atmos speakers) and have a powered Zone 2 and Zone3. I realize I'll lose the Atmos speakers in the main zone when both Zones 2 and 3 are active but I don't think the 4400 can do this, you're limited to only one powered zone in my setup. The Pioneer SC-LX801 could do this and I was hoping the Denon could as well.

Am I missing something?
post #4969 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4869 Post(s)
Liked: 7163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Why would it? Denon has made no promises regarding any HDMI 2.1 features being supported on 2016 models plus this ALLM looks like even more of a snooze fest feature than QMS.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-1-i...-about-it-now/
Why, because otherwise, unless Denon upgrade firmwares for their entire range, whenever someone connects ANY (we think) of their products to a new 2018 TV which gives the longer EDID with HDMI2.1 stuff in it, they won't work.

I have a 2015 AVR-X4200W. But if I replaced my 2016 TV with a 2018 TV and found it didn't work and that Denon knew why but did nothing, I'd be very annoyed! More and more customers will be connecting HDMI 2.1 TVs, they are not expecting to get eARC out of 2015 Denon AVRs, but they are expecting them to work in the same fashion as if they connected up a HDMI2.0 TV.

The customer doesn't care about the fine details (ie the fact that it's the TV manufacturers making Denon look like Denon was at fault, just like the way Dolby and Sony stitched up the AVR manufacturer with their "dolby vision lite" scandal). It's sad that the AVR manufacturers have to follow the TV manufacturers around with a bucket and shovel, but that's the way it is.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #4970 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Thanks for the kudos, but we're not quite out of the woods yet. Just out of curiosity, when Denon has sent out a new firmware in the past, which models were affected? Isn't there one firmware to cover several models within their line?
Firmware upgrades are specific to a model, although I would think there is much commonality across builds. The Denon AVR forums for the various model years (e.g. the 2017 Denon models covered in https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...sts-1-8-a.html ) usually start with a set of posts by AVS Forum member jdsmoothie, one of which includes software revision information.
post #4971 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scn101 View Post
With 9 internal amps I was hoping to run a 5.1.2 setup (or a 7.1, basically I have a 5.1 setup with two Atmos speakers) and have a powered Zone 2 and Zone3. I realize I'll lose the Atmos speakers in the main zone when both Zones 2 and 3 are active but I don't think the 4400 can do this, you're limited to only one powered zone in my setup. The Pioneer SC-LX801 could do this and I was hoping the Denon could as well.

Am I missing something?
Correct. If you want the X4400H to power the both the Zone 2/3 speakers they would be connected to the Height 1 and Height 2 speaker posts, therefore no Atmos config is possible unless you consider using an external amp for either Zone 2 or Zone 3.
post #4972 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiner View Post
I just replaced my AVR-2310CI with an AVR-X3400H /SNIP/
I ran the Audyssey setup successfully but I still like to use the manual EQ setup /SNIP/ starting with a copy of the Audyssey EQ/levels
Has anyone successfully copied the flat Audyssey curve to the Graphic EQ function? My copied flat curve was seemingly erratic and not at all representative of the Audyssey results. The Audyssey results were what I would expect - relatively minor (~3-4 dB) level and EQ adjustments for like front and like surround speakers. When copied to the graphic EQ function, the EQ and level settings were wildly different and extreme (10 - 15 dB) for each like speaker. I tried resetting the graphic EQ to default which worked as expected, and then tried copying the Audyssey flat curve again with the same erratic results. I can start with the graphic EQ default settings and manually duplicate the Audyssey results as a starting point, but that's why there's a copy function. I'm not sure what else I can try except performing a new Audyssey calibration and copying that. I'm not expecting new Audyssey results to vary much from the previous results.
post #4973 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Why, because otherwise, unless Denon upgrade firmwares for their entire range, whenever someone connects ANY (we think) of their products to a new 2018 TV which gives the longer EDID with HDMI2.1 stuff in it, they won't work.
Doesn't change the fact that Denon made no such guarantees for 2.1 spec support beyond the 2017 models and everyone here knew it. Sounds like the feature itself should get dropped if it's that buggy but as far as I'm aware Samsung is the only TV manufacture implementing this particular joke of a feature. Guess the QLED hype needed some help.

Quote:
I have a 2015 AVR-X4200W. But if I replaced my 2016 TV with a 2018 TV and found it didn't work and that Denon knew why but did nothing, I'd be very annoyed!
Don't take this the wrong way bud but you seem like the type that pretty much stays in a permanent state of annoyance so don't color me shocked on that last part, lol.

I never said they shouldn't look at firmware fixes beyond 2017 models if the scenario your describing comes to pass but it was HDMI.org that said all of this would be backwards compatible but turns out some of it's not. This is also the first I've heard of anyone having this issue and they(Denon) already have a fix for it.

Bottom line is you're not going to keep getting these self inflicted sink device firmware fixes for these niche 2.1 features being implemented out of spec on 3 year old receivers. Do I hope we all get it? absolutely, but now's probably the time too start being more aware of what your next new TV contains 2.1 wise. Still to me another reason I would never buy a second Samsung TV set.

Quote:
More and more customers will be connecting HDMI 2.1 TVs, they are not expecting to get eARC out of 2015 Denon AVRs, but they are expecting them to work in the same fashion as if they connected up a HDMI2.0 TV.
That's kind of my whole point. There are no HDMI 2.1 TV's but there is however willy nilly 2.1 feature implementation. Also the default should be feature "off" not "on" especially if the results are like the OP's.

Quote:
The customer doesn't care about the fine details (ie the fact that it's the TV manufacturers making Denon look like Denon was at fault, just like the way Dolby and Sony stitched up the AVR manufacturer with their "dolby vision lite" scandal). It's sad that the AVR manufacturers have to follow the TV manufacturers around with a bucket and shovel, but that's the way it is.
You are 100% correct but I don't particularly care about the low information bar that is the modern consumer's benchmark. I took decades of ass ripping in retail by similar morons in that larger group that didn't even know what the hell they were yelling about and usually were yelling to the totally wrong guy/company.

There's a permanent hole in my right inner cheek from all the biting of it I had to do over the years to keep from laughing in their faces so I don't have a lot of feels stored up for them. My good well informed customers thankfully outweighed those sheeple by a good margin and those are who I'm talking to with my take on things. I get your points but I'm not really on the other side of them. I just know what's what in regards to who scewed what up in this case and it obviously wasn't Denon. Denon has also gone back farther than other manufacture in year models with firmware updates that weren't operationally necessary. Just saying.
Rondog32837 and mrtickleuk like this.

post #4974 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I have my Denon X4400H hooked up to a Vizio P65-C1 using ARC. When watching VUDU Atmos content, what should the AVR state signal it's receiving? Dolby Digital+, Atmos, or something else? I'm a bit confused on how lossy Atmos should show up or even if my Vizio is sending a lossy Atmos signal.
post #4975 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Correct. If you want the X4400H to power the both the Zone 2/3 speakers they would be connected to the Height 1 and Height 2 speaker posts, therefore no Atmos config is possible unless you consider using an external amp for either Zone 2 or Zone 3.
Thanks, that's what I thought. I really liked the Pioneer SC-LX801 for its zone 2/3 connectivity but couldn't get used to the sound it produced. No amount of tweaking (at least for me) would make its sound seem at least as full as my lower end Onkyo TX-NR747, so I returned the Pioneer. Thought I might try the Denon 4400 but hate that I either run 5.1 with powered zones 2 and 3 or 7.1 and use an external switch like I'm doing now on zone 2. I noticed that even the Yamaha 2070/3070 can't support 7.1 if using Atmos speakers and powered zones 2 and 3. Only the Pioneer can that I've found so far.

Last edited by scn101; 04-20-2018 at 04:59 PM.
post #4976 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scn101 View Post
Thanks, that's what I thought. I really liked the Pioneer SC-LX801 for its zone 2/3 connectivity but couldn't get used to the sound it produced. No amount of tweaking (at least for me) would make its sound seem at least as full as my lower end Onkyo TX-NR747, so I returned the Pioneer. Thought I might try the Denon 4400 but hate that I either run 5.1 with powered zones 2 and 3 or 7.1 and use an external switch like I'm doing now on zone 2. I noticed that even the Yamaha 2070/3070 can't support 7.1 if using Atmos speakers and powered zones 2 and 3. Only the Pioneer can that I've found so far.
Hm... I think I'm in a similar boat as you. Looking to get something to power 5.1.4 in living room and a zone 2. I was originally going to get the 4400 it sounds like it can't do this? (even sacrificing a pair of atmos speakers when powering zone 2?) I don't get why it's able to do 7.1.2 and zone 2 though
post #4977 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDark_FenixX View Post
Hm... I think I'm in a similar boat as you. Looking to get something to power 5.1.4 in living room and a zone 2. I was originally going to get the 4400 it sounds like it can't do this? (even sacrificing a pair of atmos speakers when powering zone 2?) I don't get why it's able to do 7.1.2 and zone 2 though
The 4400 can do 7.1 and powered Zone 2 as long as you use the extra two channel amps (beyond the normal 5.1 setup) as SURROUND BACK speakers, not as Atmos. The Pioneer 801 did some intelligent AMP multiplexing to allow a 7.1 or 5.1.2 system with two powered zones (very nice). I just didn't like the sound it produced.
post #4978 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I am a proud owner of a new X6400H (Thanks to AVS Sales team!) and in the process of setting it up.

I have run into (2) issues, where I am looking for help:
  • HDMI video pass through, when in standby: does this only work for the Main Zone? I would like to enable pass through for Zone 2
  • Trigger: I want that a trigger is not automatically enabled. Following the manual (p. 247) I have set for all devices the setting to '---'. However, the trigger(s) is/are still activated, when the AVR is turned on. What am I missing? (Goal is to ONLY manually control the triggers via IP command. I am able to turn them on/off via my remote)
____
Axel

post #4979 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lushious View Post
I have my Denon X4400H hooked up to a Vizio P65-C1 using ARC. When watching VUDU Atmos content, what should the AVR state signal it's receiving? Dolby Digital+, Atmos, or something else? I'm a bit confused on how lossy Atmos should show up or even if my Vizio is sending a lossy Atmos signal.
Turns out the AVR should say “Atmos.” There’s some wonkiness going on with the Vizio, but I was able to get Atmos in titles after situating ARC between the two.
joe221 and mrtickleuk like this.
post #4980 of 12281 Old 04-20-2018, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
I am a proud owner of a new X6400H (Thanks to AVS Sales team!) and in the process of setting it up.

I have run into (2) issues, where I am looking for help:
  • HDMI video pass through, when in standby: does this only work for the Main Zone? I would like to enable pass through for Zone 2
  • Trigger: I want that a trigger is not automatically enabled. Following the manual (p. 247) I have set for all devices the setting to '---'. However, the trigger(s) is/are still activated, when the AVR is turned on. What am I missing? (Goal is to ONLY manually control the triggers via IP command. I am able to turn them on/off via my remote)
____
Axel
1. Correct, main zone only.
2. I've found the trigger is enabled regardless of the setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , connectivity , Denon , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , Pioneer , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , subwoofer denon test tone , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , zone 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page