AVS Forum banner
2M views 15K replies 2K participants last post by  iafzal 
#1 · (Edited)
"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8)

2017 Denon AVR models ---> S530BT/S730H/S930H/X1400H/X2400H/X3400H/X4400H/X6400H

The Denon + Marantz Group (ie. D+M Group) USA has started to release information on the new 2017 Denon models starting with the three new "S" series models. The lower "X" series will be announced next with the higher "X" series announced later this summer and released in August/September. A new “flagship” model to replace the X7200WA (ie. X8500H) may be announced at CES 2018 (Jan) and then released in the spring of 2018 with 13 on board amps and will have its own separate Owner's thread.

What's new or to be added via firmware update for the 2017 models?

S530BT
- HDMI Control/ARC/TV Audio Switching (added for the first time on this lowest model)
- Bluetooth Auto-Select (ON/OFF – prevents Bluetooth devices from powering on the AVR or selecting Bluetooth source when in range)
- Restart - (pressing/holding the power on button in lieu of having to pull power cable)
- 4K Signal Format (not a setting on this model rather it simply internally factory defaults to Enhanced (4K/60Hz video) and cannot be changed

S730H/S930H/X1400H/X2400H/X3400H
- AK4458VN 32 bit DAC (primary); X4400H/X6400H feature (2ea)
- PCM5100 32 bit DAC (Network); also for X4400H/X6400H
- Bluetooth Version 3.0, Class 1 - increased from 33' up to 98ft/30m
- Audyssey MultEQ Editor iOS/Android phone app ($20) - (first introduced for use with the 2016 models) using the Audyssey mic included with the AVR, provides the ability to customize target curves, save them on the phone/tablet and send back to the AVR as needed generally only taking about 90 seconds vs. the roughly 5 minutes to load from a USB thumb drive
- The "H" series AVRs include a HEOS module which will allow streaming the (currently) 12 music services using the HEOS iOS/Android app to the "H" series AVR as well as allow streaming 2CH sources from the AVR (analog only on X2400H and lower and analog/digital on the X3400H and higher) to one or up to 32 HEOS wireless speakers placed around the home
- Auto Update - (default - OFF), allows for firmware updates while the unit is in Standby
- SAVE & LOAD (to USB; replaces Web Control SAVE/LOAD)
- Restart - (pressing/holding the power on button in lieu of having to pull power cable)
- DTS:X & DTS Neural:X pre-loaded at factory

S730H/S930H/X1400H/X2400H/X3400H/X4400H/X6400H
- 4K Signal Format (Standard (default)/Enhanced; Note: Enhanced setting must be used when passing 4K/60Hz video)
- Disable Zone 2 access from the remote control
- TV Sound Grouping (fixes 1 second audio delay experienced when playing cable/sat box audio to the surround speakers and HEOS speakers in other rooms) - April 12, 2017 firmware update
- Dolby Vision HDR (on board)
- Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) - (firmware update Sep 2017)
- ALAC up to 192kHz sampling frequency
- Airplay 2 (firmware update August 2018)
- Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) (firmware update August 2018)
- Voice Control Agents - Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple Siri, Josh.ai
- DTS Virtual:X - via firmware update ETA November (simulates height/surround from DTS and PCM audio only when no Height/Top/Dolby speakers are configured; Note: Unable to use Audyssey when DTS Virtual:X is selected on these models)
- Spotify Connect via FREE Spotify account - firmware update (Aug 2019)

X3400H/X4400H/X6400H
- eARC (X3400H/X4400H/X6400H) - added via October 30, 2018 firmware update; HD audio (Dolby TrueHD/DTS HD-MA (note Atmos over DD+ is not HD audio and so is able to pass over the current ARC) from an eARC capable TV back to the AVR) - Note an HDMI w/Ethernet cable must be used.

X4400H/X6400H
- Auro 3D - installed at the factory (the 3rd 3D audio codec in addition to Atmos and DTS:X); able to use Dolby enabled speaker configurations (Front Dolby/Surround Dolby/Back Dolby) although unable to use Top Surround/Voice of God when using them; Note also the Owner manuals incorrectly reflect Auro 3D/AuroMatic audio being able to play to Surround Back speakers.
- Denon's AL32 processing (upgrade over AL24 processing on the X4300H/X6300H)
- Bass Sync
- 5.1 CH full bi-amp -FL/FR/C/SL/SR (X6400H only)
- DTS Virtual:X - via firmware update ETA Summer 2018 (simulates height/surround from DTS/PCM audio when no Height/Top/Dolby speakers configured; able to use Audyssey MultEQ XT32, but unable to use any other Audyssey feature (ie. Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, LFC))

What was dropped from the 2016 models?

S730H/S930H/X1400H/X2400H/X3400H
- Web Control
- vTuner - must use TuneIn (on board or using HEOS app) for internet radio which doesn't allow the user to manually add new stations as is the case with vTuner
- iPod/iPhone connectivity via USB
- Video Select (iPod/USB)
- Component Video upscaling (other than 480i/576i; X3400H)

X6400H
- HD Radio

-------------------------

- All "S" series models have a 2 year warranty if purchased new/open-box from an authorized dealer
- All "X" series models have a 3 year warranty (2 years in Canada) if purchased new/open-box from an authorized dealer
- All refurbished models have a 1 year warranty if purchased from an authorized refurb dealer

Note: Although all models feature two subwoofer pre-outs, only the X3400H/X4400H/X6400H have independent subwoofer volume control of each subwoofer.

Denon model web page info and Owner manual links

- S530BT - MSRP $279, 5.2 CH, 70W, HDMI In/Out (5/1)
This is a 5CH AVR which features Bluetooth, but is not a networking model. Firmware updates would be installed via the USB jack. It includes a mic for a basic (ie. non-Audyssey) single position speaker/sub calibration. It can display the GUI over 2D/3D video sources input to HDMI1 and HDMI2 and pass through 4k/60Hz video from HDMI3/HDMI4/HDMI5 but cannot display the GUI over 4k video. It can use the “Denon 500 Series Remote” Bluetooth remote app.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrs530bt

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS530BT/NA/EN/index.php

Press release on the S530BT and S730H and S930H - http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/denon-s-series-receivers-avr-s930h-avr-s730h-avr-s530bt/

- S730H - MSRP $479, 7.2 CH, 75W, HDMI In/Out (6.1) - avail April
Upgrading from the S530BT adds 1 more HDMI input and two more audio channels for a 7CH model and the lowest model to feature Audyssey MultEQ (6 mic positions), networking, DSD via USB/network source, Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.2, DTS:X and uses speaker posts, 32 bit DAC, and an on board Denon HEOS module (allows streaming of HEOS app music services to the AVR as well as streaming PCM 2.0 source from the AVR to HEOS wireless speakers set up around the home). Firmware updates are installed via a network connection or USB. It can display the GUI over 2D/3D video from all HDMI inputs, but not over 4k video. . It features 5.1 + Zone 2 capability using the Surround Back speaker posts for Zone 2. A new SAVE/LOAD config file via USB feature has been added. There are no Zone 2 pre-outs. No noticeable difference in power; however, audio quality should be improved after running Audyssey. This is the lowest model that can use the new Audyssey MultEQ Editor iOS/Android app ($20) as well as the lowest model that will be receiving the HLG firmware update.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrs730H

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS730H/NA/EN/index.php

- S930H - MSRP $579, 7.2CH, 90W, HDMI In/Out (8/2, main/main outputs) - avail April
Upgrading from the S730H adds 2 more HDMI inputs, 1 more main zone monitor output (eg. when using a TV and PJ), 2 component video inputs / 1 output, 4k/30Hz upscaling, on board. No noticeable difference in either power or audio quality. Although unable to display the GUI on 4k video, able to display the volume bar/Info on 4k video (except Dolby Vision) but only at 24/30Hz, not at 60Hz and only when Video Mode is not set to "Bypass".

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrs930H

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS930H/NA/EN/index.php

- X1400H - MSRP $599, 7.2CH, 80W, HDMI In/Out (6/1) - avail May
This model has the same features as the S730H but adds: improved audio quality using the higher Audyssey MultEQ XT (8 mic positions), Zone 2 pre-outs, Crestron/Control 4 interface, and also as the lowest "X" series model adds 1 more year of warranty (total 3 years). Not able to display GUI or volume bar/Info on 4k video.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrX1400H

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX1400H/NA/EN/index.php

Press release on the new X1400H and X2400H ---> http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Denon-AVR-X1400H-and-AVR-X2400H-AV-Receivers.shtml

- X2400H - MSRP $799, 7.2CH, 95W, HDMI In/Out (8/2, main/main outputs) - avail May
This model has the same features as the S930H but adds: improved audio quality using the higher Audyssey MultEQ XT, Zone 2 pre-outs, RS-232, Crestron/Control 4 interface, ISF (Day/Night) calibration settings (to be set by an ISF calibrator) and 1 more year of warranty (total 3 years). Although unable to display the GUI on 4k video, able to display the volume bar/Info on 4k video (except Dolby Vision) but only at 24/30Hz, not at 60Hz and only when Video Mode is not set to "Bypass".

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrX2400H

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2400H/NA/EN/index.php

- X3400H - MSRP $999, 7.2CH, 105W, HDMI In/Out (8/3, main/main/Zone 2 outputs) - avail July
Upgrading from the X2400H adds: Zone 2 custom settings (bass, treble, HPF, stereo/mono), 12v trigger (1), DSD over HDMI, Zone 2 HDMI Monitor output, HDMI/digital PCM 2.0 audio to Zone 2 speaker posts/pre-outs/HEOS speakers, analog --> HDMI conversion, 4k/60Hz upscaling, and the lowest model with 7.2 main zone pre-outs (however, there is no further expansion beyond 7CH (ie. 7.1 or 5.1.2) processing using an external amp). No noticeable difference in power, but much better audio quality using the much more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and Sub EQ HT (when using 2 subs; independent sub level/delay). The Audyssey Low Frequency Containment (LFC) feature drops down to the X3400H from the higher models which helps to reduce the impact of lower frequency waves passing through walls (great when watching at night with others asleep nearby or if living in an apartment with thin walls). Although unable to display the GUI on 4k video, able to display the volume bar/Info on 4k video (except Dolby Vision).

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrx3400H

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3400H/NA/EN/index.php

- X4400H - MSRP ($1599), 9.2CH, 125W, HDMI In/Out (8/3, main/main/Zone 2 outputs) avail Aug
Upgrading from the X3400H adds: 2 additional on board amps for 9CH on board processing (ie. 7.1.2 or 5.1.4; with capability to expand to 11CH processing (ie. 7.1.4) using an external 2CH amp), 11.2 main zone pre-outs, Zone 3, a 2nd 12v trigger, front panel display of speaker inputs (or outputs), PHONO input, metal front panel with 2 line display, Custom 2 CH main zone settings (using FL/FR or dedicated Front B; LARGE/SMALL; crossover settings, sub – on/off, distance, level), two internal cooling fans, Auro 3D/Auromatic ($199 upgrade on previous years models) with the ability to use it with Dolby enabled upward firing modules and Surround Back speakers, AL32 Processing, Bass Sync; Remote Control able to store preset codes from other mfr devices (see below) and the ability to add Auro 3D Voice of God/Top Surround via the Subwoofer pre-out 2 only. Although unable to display the GUI on 4k video, able to display the volume bar/Info on 4k video (except Dolby Vision).

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx4400H

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4400H/NA/EN/index.php

Remote Control Preset Codes: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4400H/preset/AVRX4400HPresetCodes.pdf

- X6400H - MSRP ($2199), 11.2CH, 140W, HDMI In/Out (8/3, main/main/Zone 2 outputs) avail Aug
Upgrading from the X4400H adds: 2 additional on board amps, more robust amps, mfr'd in Japan, gold plated connectors, Dialog Enhancer, two internal cooling fans, 5.1 CH full bi-amp -FL/FR/C/SL/SR, and Auro 3D Voice of God/Top Surround via either the Subwoofer pre-out 2 or the Surround Back L speaker post. Although unable to display the GUI on 4k video, able to display the volume bar/Info on 4k video (except Dolby Vision).

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx6400h

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX6400H/NA/EN/index.php

Remote Control Preset Codes: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX6400H/preset/AVRX6400HPresetCodes.pdf

----------------------------------

Welcome to the Official 2017 Denon AVR-S/X models thread (S530BT/S730H/S930H/X1400H/X2400H/X3400H/X4400H/X6400H).

If this is your first visit to this thread, and you want to ask a question about one of the 2017 Denon AVR models, either one that you own or one that you are thinking of buying, please provide the following information to allow for better responses to your questions:

(a) Identify the model number in question (eg. X2400H), as there are 8 different models (S and X series) discussed in this thread. Also if you have not posted in several days since your initial post, please post the model # again so we don't have to back track to learn which model you are referencing.

(b) Identify what you've done so far to troubleshoot the issue and what the front panel is displaying if an audio issue, (also take a few minutes to review the Troubleshooting section provided in post 3 as your question may already be answered there,

(c) Unless you indicate what settings have been changed, the assumption will be that all settings are on the factory defaults (ie. usually "Auto"),

(d) If the advice given seems to simplistic or obvious, don't shoot the advice giver as we have no idea of the level of your technical understanding,

(e) If there is no response to your post, it either means no one knows the answer or it has simply been overlooked so please repost if you still haven't resolved your issue,

(f) If you post a question in this thread and are given advice and either it or some other advice (eg. Denon phone support, Denon "Ask a Question" email support) resolves your issue, have the common courtesy to post back what solution resolved your issue so others can learn from it as well,

(g) If the issue is not user error or not just a misunderstanding on how the AVR works, please call Denon support so the issue is registered,

(h) When responding to another post that is providing assistance to you, please press the "Quote" button in the lower right corner of that other poster's response so that response is also listed with your new post to provide some context, and,

(i) If you don't live in either the USA or Canada, please either indicate your country location in your profile or your post as some Denon models from other regions in the world differ in configuration from their USA/Canada counterparts otherwise responses made in this thread are in regards to the USA/Canada models only.

See less See more
#3,541 ·
Guys I have a question. I was just running through the Settings on my X6400H and noticed that in the sound heading the Audyssey selection is greyed out. I then checked my speaker configurations and see that the speaker size and crossover changes that I made were reset to the original values. Checking results the distances and trims are still in place. So the question is, why is the Audyssey selection greyed out? Is it time to rerun the setup.
It is not a big deal to do, but I have been liking the last calibration. Often when I rerun setup I get slightly different results, no matter how careful I am.
That is why every time I run Audyssey, I save to usb stick and date it.:)
That way I can always revert.
Cant answer your original question though.

#3,542 · (Edited)
I did back up the configuration to a USB stick. I may as well try a restore then check to see weather the Audyssey selection becomes available.

EDIT
Well that took care of the problem. I guess the question becomes, what would make the receiver disable the Audyssey selection even though it seemed to still have the settings. ??

#3,543 ·
Quick question. I have the x3400H and have my Nvidia Shield TV plugged into the Media Player HDMI In. I also have my new (just got it the other day) Sony XBR 65 900E. I only watch movies and tv shows.

I have my Nvidia Shields resolution set to 4k and made sure the Sony and Denon are set to output the extended dynamic range.

My question is, is the Denon doing anything to the signal it receives from the Nvidia Shield before passing it to the Sony or is it effectivitly just doing passthru with the video image.

I've noticed that there are some picture settings on the Denon such as under Picture Adjust as well as under Output Settings, Video mode.

Do I need to set those to something. Currently I have Picture Adjust set to Off and the Video Mode set to Movie (only have two options Movie or Game).

Then there's also Video conversion but I believe that doesn't impact HDMI inputs.

Just looking for some guidance.

#3,544 ·
Guys I have a question. I was just running through the Settings on my X6400H and noticed that in the sound heading the Audyssey selection is greyed out. I then checked my speaker configurations and see that the speaker size and crossover changes that I made were reset to the original values. Checking results the distances and trims are still in place. So the question is, why is the Audyssey selection greyed out? Is it time to rerun the setup.
It is not a big deal to do, but I have been liking the last calibration. Often when I rerun setup I get slightly different results, no matter how careful I am.
More than likely you changed from the original AMP ASSIGN configuration when Audyssey was run. Change it back and you'll regain Audyssey. :)

#3,545 ·
Looking for some help. My system consists of a Directv Geni connected to a Denon x1400h and then to a Samsung 4K TV through the ARC connection. All connections are HDMI. I calibrated the Denon using AUDYSSEY. The sound when watching movies or TV shows is great. My issue is that with some commercials or some show that have some background music, I can hardly hear it. Are there any settings I can set to get more consistent audio. My Audyssey settings are:

Front L: -4.0 dB
Front R: -3.5 dB
Center: -4.5 dB
Subwoofer: -10.5 dB
Surround L: -4.5 dB
Surround R: -5.0 dB

#3,546 ·
Going beyond 5.1

I recenlty upgraded to an X4400h from an older 5.1-only AVR and I am looking for advice and suggestions on going beyond 5.1 channels.

I'm currently set up for 5.1 with 5 satellites (which go down to ~65Hz) and a single sub. I have 4 more smaller satellite speakers (which are reasonably well matched but only go down to ~100Hz) and another sub.

The surrounds are currently positioned about 3 feet behind and 2 feet above the listening position.

I wouldn't be able to add in-ceiling speakers, but can mount the small satellites to the walls or ceiling.

Our primary sources are DVR and Apple TV 4K with Netflix, Amazon, and iTunes movies.

Some questions:

1.What sources have soundtracks that provide more than 5.1? Are the up mix options useful?
2.Which additional channels would give me the most benefit?
3. If I were to add Surround Back Right/Left, it seems like my current Surround Left/Right are actually in those positions. I could add a pair directly to the right and left of the listening position (although also about 2 feet above). Would it be better to use the larger speakers as Surround Back, or Surround?
4. How much benefit would Front Height Left/Right add?
5. Any thoughts on adding the second sub? I assume along the front wall parallel to the existing sub and 3 front satellites.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions,

Ted

#3,547 ·
After nearly two decades of owning Pioneer AVRs and becoming increasingly frustrated with their functionality and support I jumped on the Denon bandwagon. I picked up the X4400h, which I think is the equivalent of my SC-95.

Now, I'm in an entirely unfamiliar world with the Denon GUI. A lot of my time is spent gaming and I know the Pioneer added significant input lag with the on-screen display turned on. Is that also the case with Denon? I turned of the display of "Volume," but left everything else on. Having just unboxed the AVR and tweaking the settings now, I've not gotten around to testing the difference with OSD on or off.

#3,548 ·
More than likely you changed from the original AMP ASSIGN configuration when Audyssey was run. Change it back and you'll regain Audyssey. :)

It could be. At one point I assigned a set of amps to zone 2. It has been awhile, so I can't say for sure whether that was before running the calibration or after. t will may have been after.
When this happens does it indeed turn off Audessey? It sure sounds like it is using the corrections.

#3,549 ·
It could be. At one point I assigned a set of amps to zone 2. It has been awhile, so I can't say for sure whether that was before running the calibration or after. t will may have been after.
When this happens does it indeed turn off Audessey? It sure sounds like it is using the corrections.
Correct.

#3,550 ·
I recenlty upgraded to an X4400h from an older 5.1-only AVR and I am looking for advice and suggestions on going beyond 5.1 channels.

I'm currently set up for 5.1 with 5 satellites (which go down to ~65Hz) and a single sub. I have 4 more smaller satellite speakers (which are reasonably well matched but only go down to ~100Hz) and another sub.

The surrounds are currently positioned about 3 feet behind and 2 feet above the listening position.

I wouldn't be able to add in-ceiling speakers, but can mount the small satellites to the walls or ceiling.

Our primary sources are DVR and Apple TV 4K with Netflix, Amazon, and iTunes movies.

Some questions:

1.What sources have soundtracks that provide more than 5.1? Are the up mix options useful?
2.Which additional channels would give me the most benefit?
3. If I were to add Surround Back Right/Left, it seems like my current Surround Left/Right are actually in those positions. I could add a pair directly to the right and left of the listening position (although also about 2 feet above). Would it be better to use the larger speakers as Surround Back, or Surround?
4. How much benefit would Front Height Left/Right add?
5. Any thoughts on adding the second sub? I assume along the front wall parallel to the existing sub and 3 front satellites.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions,

Ted
1. Blu Ray discs. Yup.
2. Mounting the smaller satellites to the ceiling as Top Front and Top Rear.
3. Correct. Side surround speakers are ideally mounted to the side of the main listening position as opposed to behind it as is true in your setup currently. Neither, rather see 2 above.
4. Front/Rear wall mounting likely second to on-ceiling mounting.
5. Should benefit your setup, although best to do a "subwoofer crawl" to determine whether best to place up front or in the back of the room.

#3,551 ·
Looking for some help. My system consists of a Directv Geni connected to a Denon x1400h and then to a Samsung 4K TV through the ARC connection. All connections are HDMI. I calibrated the Denon using AUDYSSEY. The sound when watching movies or TV shows is great. My issue is that with some commercials or some show that have some background music, I can hardly hear it. Are there any settings I can set to get more consistent audio. My Audyssey settings are:

Front L: -4.0 dB
Front R: -3.5 dB
Center: -4.5 dB
Subwoofer: -10.5 dB
Surround L: -4.5 dB
Surround R: -5.0 dB
Ensure the Center speaker is angled up towards your head prior to running Audyssey. If adjustment is required, run Audyssey again.

Try setting the Audyssey Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset (p. 147 Owner's manual) to "10db" which will reduce the bass boost and improve dialog. Additionally, if necessary, you can also set Dynamic Volume (p. 148 Owner's manual) to "Medium."

#3,554 ·
1. Blu Ray discs. Yup.
2. Mounting the smaller satellites to the ceiling as Top Front and Top Rear.
3. Correct. Side surround speakers are ideally mounted to the side of the main listening position as opposed to behind it as is true in your setup currently. Neither, rather see 2 above.
4. Front/Rear wall mounting likely second to on-ceiling mounting.
5. Should benefit your setup, although best to do a "subwoofer crawl" to determine whether best to place up front or in the back of the room.
Thanks for the quick response!

Let me see if I understand.

1. I'll really only get >5.1 source material from Blu-Ray, but I can up-mix other sources. I thought I had seen that some Netflix content had Dolby Atmos, is that not the case?
2. Using my small satellites as Top Front and Top Rear would be most useful.
3. Not sure what you suggest I do with my larger rear satellites and side/surround channels?
4. Also not sure what you are suggesting here.
5. Roger that, will do.

Thanks again,

Ted

#3,555 ·
Auto-setup/Speaker problem(s)

So I recently picked up a pair of Elac B6's and an SVS-PB1000, using with a Denon AVR-S530BT, and I've run into some distressing goofiness that I was hoping you kind souls could help me with...

When setting levels for the speakers, the test tone sounds different in the left and right speakers. The receiver uses noise and it seems like the left channel doesn't have as much upper frequency content.

I ran the auto-EQ twice, the second time just because I found my tripod and could put the microphone in the correct spot. I noticed that during the testing the second time that toward the end the test noise became very loud, possibly distress-level loudness.

After the test, I checked the levels that it had set, and it had the Left channel boosted +12db and the right cut -12db, and the sub boosted 12db. The sub I expected to be boosted too much, but something's not right there, right?

The L/R's are about 6.5' away, and the sub is a little more, maybe 6.8'.

And just now listening to music to see where the EQ landed, I noticed some high end crackling in certain sections. Words cannot describe my displeasure.

Could the auto-EQ have somehow blown up a tweeter or something? How can I test my speakers for problems? Any advice would be much appreciated.

#3,556 ·
So I recently picked up a pair of Elac B6's and an SVS-PB1000, using with a Denon AVR-S530BT, and I've run into some distressing goofiness that I was hoping you kind souls could help me with...

When setting levels for the speakers, the test tone sounds different in the left and right speakers. The receiver uses noise and it seems like the left channel doesn't have as much upper frequency content.

I ran the auto-EQ twice, the second time just because I found my tripod and could put the microphone in the correct spot. I noticed that during the testing the second time that toward the end the test noise became very loud, possibly distress-level loudness.

After the test, I checked the levels that it had set, and it had the Left channel boosted +12db and the right cut -12db, and the sub boosted 12db. The sub I expected to be boosted too much, but something's not right there, right?

The L/R's are about 6.5' away, and the sub is a little more, maybe 6.8'.

And just now listening to music to see where the EQ landed, I noticed some high end crackling in certain sections. Words cannot describe my displeasure.

Could the auto-EQ have somehow blown up a tweeter or something? How can I test my speakers for problems? Any advice would be much appreciated.
It would seem there is an issue with the AVR. Try resetting the microprocessor as noted in post 5 of this thread and start the setup again.

#3,557 ·
Thanks for the quick response!

Let me see if I understand.

1. I'll really only get >5.1 source material from Blu-Ray, but I can up-mix other sources. I thought I had seen that some Netflix content had Dolby Atmos, is that not the case?
2. Using my small satellites as Top Front and Top Rear would be most useful.
3. Not sure what you suggest I do with my larger rear satellites and side/surround channels?
4. Also not sure what you are suggesting here.
5. Roger that, will do.

Thanks again,

Ted
1. Netflix passing DD+(Atmos) is yet another source, yes.
3. When using in/on ceiling speakers, it's better if the floor speakers are closer to ear height, rather than raised 2' as would be proper when there are no height speakers installed.
4. Best mounting position would be mounting 4' in front and 4' behind the main listening position(TF + TR), with second option being mounting high up on front and rear walls (FH+RH).

#3,558 ·
Any way of Dolby Digital/DSU getting to do one (1) surround back speaker like Dolby Digital/NeuralX is doing ?
I use a Denon X6400H but until now no way exept 2 SB speakers for DD/DSU.
Not using Dolby Surround, no, as noted on p. 296 of the Owner's manual and below:

Attachments

#3,559 ·
All the 2017 networking models use the same ADV AD8003 video chip while the X3400H and higher models use a second chip that can upconvert to 4k/60Hz. Let your own eyes be the judge whether it helps or not. ;)
Do you know what second chip they are using?

#3,560 ·
I recently upgraded my old tv to an LG Oled, and knew it was time to upgrade my receiver as well. My old receiver was a Yamaha 5.1 receiver, and in the future the most I can expect to need would be something to handle 5.1.2 I just purchased a Denon x3400 on sale, but was wondering if there would be a big difference in sound quality and loudness, if I purchase an x4400 instead which would cost about $400 more (when on sale). I read the first 8 posts of this thread and realize there are several upgrades on the x4400, but not sure that I will ever need or use them. Any opinions would be welcome. Thanks in advance.