"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 262 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136286Likes

post #7831 of 12512 Old 08-27-2018, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22884 Post(s)
Liked: 12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegout View Post
The main zone speakers. Should I be setting to PCM 2.0 after switching to Phono?
No, not when you want the audio to go to the main zone speakers, however, for a proper HDMI handshake, try powering off the PHONO source and then power on the HDMI source. If still no joy, then power off the AVR as well, pause 5 seconds, power the AVR on, pause 5 seconds, and then power on the HDMI source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 12512 Old 08-27-2018, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovidiuogrean View Post
Hello. I have a X2400H. If the source is 2 ch DD and i select Auto (pure button) it outputs DD surround 5.1 ch, but i want it stereo because it's music. What do i have to do for that? (Other than selecting stereo manually).

Trimis de pe al meu ALE-L21 folosind Tapatalk
While playing the soundtrack of interest, press on one of the Music/Movie/Game buttons and select the Sound mode that you want. It'll be remembered.

When you select "Auto" using the "Pure" button it actually reverts to whatever Sound Mode you had previously chosen for the currently selected input connection. The description in D&M's manuals is very misleading.

To set a new default for that particular input connection and soundtrack encoding, press on one of the Music/Movie/Game buttons and step through the menu to the Sound Mode that you want to be the default. You can have the receiver remember three separate "default" sound modes for each input/encoding depending on which of the three buttons you use.
Chuck666, Travisx2112 and dfa973 like this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #7833 of 12512 Old 08-27-2018, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you. It seems i misunderstood what the direct/pure direct/auto does, coming from a Pioneer.

Trimis de pe al meu ALE-L21 folosind Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7834 of 12512 Old 08-27-2018, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 72
My volume issues must be Denon BS. When “amps” kick on or off I get different volume abilities- sometimes it’s -7 or -1 once in while it’ll let me go +18. So tired of this amp. Switched to a unused source and wouldn’t go past -4.5(dvd) switched to phone same thing.
post #7835 of 12512 Old 08-27-2018, 07:23 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 6847 Post(s)
Liked: 6843
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
Certified Premium
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Denon extended warranties? Price, etc? I went to the website on the card that came with my 4400H but the only product that shows in the drop down is headphones. I can’t find the info on AVR extended Warranties.
Plenty of 3rd party warranties you can add........including Mack warranties.
post #7836 of 12512 Old 08-28-2018, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
You can have the receiver remember three separate "default" sound modes for each input/encoding depending on which of the three buttons you use.
How do you specify which three modes get applied to what's being encoded? Does the receiver know the difference between a 2CH stereo input, and a Dolby ProLogic (roughly speaking) input? (The third, I'm assuming, would be a non matrixed input, like Dolby Digital/Atmos or DTS-HD)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
post #7837 of 12512 Old 08-28-2018, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisx2112 View Post
How do you specify which three modes get applied to what's being encoded? Does the receiver know the difference between a 2CH stereo input, and a Dolby ProLogic (roughly speaking) input? (The third, I'm assuming, would be a non matrixed input, like Dolby Digital/Atmos or DTS-HD)

Yes, the receiver can and does identify the type of signal that it is being fed. Click the "info" button and you will get the details (on the x6400h, not sure about the other models).
whipit likes this.

Mark
post #7838 of 12512 Old 08-28-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisx2112 View Post
How do you specify which three modes get applied to what's being encoded?
The three different memory modes I meant was the different ones associated with each of the three different buttons: Music, Movie and Game. Those button names are just conveniences to help you remember which of them you've configured for what Sound Mode. The most recent one is used by default, but a single brief press of one of them recalls the Sound Mode associated with it when you want a different sound mode. (e.g. Stereo for music, Virtual Surround for gaming, etc.)
Quote:
Does the receiver know the difference between a 2CH stereo input, and a Dolby ProLogic (roughly speaking) input?
I have to answer "yes and no" for that specific distinction. Dolby ProLogic is an upmixer which uses (matrixed) phase cues that are in the soundtrack to redistribute sounds among front, center and rear speakers. Some stereo soundtracks are designed to include those cues while some just have random phase differences because the person mixing the soundtrack didn't pay any attention to them. The upmixers provided in Atmos-capable receivers (Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X; ProLogic is no longer available) can't distinguish between the two intents. In contrast, if you select "Stereo" as a Sound Mode, a "downmixer" is applied so that only the front main speakers are active, whether the input soundtrack is 2.0 stereo or 7.1 surround sound.

Quote:

(The third, I'm assuming, would be a non matrixed input, like Dolby Digital/Atmos or DTS-HD)

Well, no, that wasn't what I meant. See my comment above. There are at least a half-dozen Sound Mode options available on each of the Music/Movie/Game buttons, including upmixers and downmixers. Which ones are available also depends on the type of incoming soundtrack, so you actually have to be listening to a soundtrack while making a choice.

Selden

post #7839 of 12512 Old 08-28-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
The three different memory modes I meant was the different ones associated with each of the three different buttons: Music, Movie and Game. Those button names are just conveniences to help you remember which of them you've configured for what Sound Mode.
Thank you! I do not remember hearing it explained that way before--I thought they applied different surround and frequency response parameters to the signal (like rolling off the highs for movies).

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
post #7840 of 12512 Old 08-28-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
Thank you! I do not remember hearing it explained that way before
Those three (Music/Movie/Game) buttons are "Sound Mode" menu buttons: press for a second to get a popup menu of available Sound Mode options, press very briefly to recall the Sound Mode option that you most recently selected with that button. (Dolby Surround, Virtual Surround, All Channel Stereo, etc.)

I don't recall which receiver model you have, but here's a link to D&M's description of the Sound Mode buttons for an AVR-X4400H. The buttons' operation is identical for all of D&M's receivers and pre/pros, although the actual entries vary depending on the receiver's features and the soundtrack you're listening to. http://manuals.denon.com/avrx4400h/n...SYvhhpesdv.php

Quote:
I thought they applied different surround and frequency response parameters to the signal (like rolling off the highs for movies).
The options you mention are controlled elsewhere (several elsewheres ) in the receiver's menu system. E.g. Audyssey settings, tone controls, DynEQ, i/p scaler, etc.
ccotenj and Madmax67 like this.

Selden

post #7841 of 12512 Old 08-28-2018, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Quoted: 22884 Post(s)
Liked: 12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
Thank you! I do not remember hearing it explained that way before--I thought they applied different surround and frequency response parameters to the signal (like rolling off the highs for movies).
This is correct for the older models (as well as the "BT" and new S640H) that feature DD PLII, ie. audio is handled differently depending on whether DD PLII - Movie, DD PLII - Music, DD PLII - Game is selected. On the "BT" models and 2018 S640H, the Surround Parameter <Panoroma> (ie. front sound field expanded further to the back) is only available when DD PLII - Music is selected.
dfa973 likes this.
post #7842 of 12512 Old 08-28-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
I don't recall which receiver model you have, but here's a link to D&M's description of the Sound Mode buttons for an AVR-X4400H.
Thank you. I guess I was misunderstanding the phrase "Switches to the sound mode suitable for enjoying movies and TV programs" and thought the receiver was choosing "suitable" parameters, not me.

The fine print footnotes on p113 of the X4000 manual are similar to your explanation:

• The MOVIE, MUSIC, or GAME button memorizes the last sound mode selected for
its button. Pressing MOVIE, MUSIC, or GAME recalls the same sound mode as the
one selected at the previous playback.
• If the content played back does not support the previously selected sound mode,
the most appropriate sound mode for the content is automatically selected.

So I will try to remember that!
ahblaza and dfa973 like this.

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis

Last edited by Dan in St. Louis; 08-28-2018 at 09:21 AM.
post #7843 of 12512 Old 08-28-2018, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Nevermind!

Last edited by rolledoff; 08-28-2018 at 11:40 AM.
post #7844 of 12512 Old 08-28-2018, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolledoff View Post
Nevermind!
this sub seems to have his internal amplifier, but if there isn't one, then you need (usually) the same rca cable to another amplifier (crown 1502 ) and then speaker cables to the sub.
you can not use a sub without an internal amplifier without buying another external amplifier

about the usually : it depends on what type of cables your new amplifier accept. can be rca, xlr and some others
rolledoff likes this.

Denon X4400H / MiniDSP 88A-BM -> Atoll AM200 -> Kef IQ70 fronts
Crown XLS 1502 bridged -> Velodyne CHT 10Q (with dead internal amp) / SVS SB12-SND
Emotiva A-700 -> Kef IQ60c / Kef IQ 10 surrounds / SVS Prime Elevation front heights & rears
post #7845 of 12512 Old 08-28-2018, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
Certified Premium [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Yes [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Denon extended warranties? Price, etc? I went to the website on the card that came with my 4400H but the only product that shows in the drop down is headphones. I can’t find the info on AVR extended Warranties.
Plenty of 3rd party warranties you can add........including Mack warranties.
I never heard of them!
post #7846 of 12512 Old 08-28-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
This is correct for the older models (as well as the "BT" and new S640H) that feature DD PLII, ie. audio is handled differently depending on whether DD PLII - Movie, DD PLII - Music, DD PLII - Game is selected. On the "BT" models and 2018 S640H, the Surround Parameter <Panoroma> (ie. front sound field expanded further to the back) is only available when DD PLII - Music is selected.
They removed PLII from the upper models and Left it on the lower models? I really liked the PLII Music and PLII Cinema for 2 channel upmix. The "Surround" it was replaced with is not very good.
post #7847 of 12512 Old 08-28-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
They removed PLII from the upper models and Left it on the lower models? I really liked the PLII Music and PLII Cinema for 2 channel upmix. The "Surround" it was replaced with is not very good.
That's not quite the right description of what's happened.

Dolby Prologic II was replaced by the new Dolby Surround upmixer in all D&M models which support Atmos. DPLII currently is available only on their entry-level 5.1 channel receiver which also does not support Atmos. Many people agree with you that DPL can sound better than DSU.

Selden

post #7848 of 12512 Old 08-28-2018, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's not quite the right description of what's happened.

Dolby Prologic II was replaced by the new Dolby Surround upmixer in all D&M models which support Atmos. DPLII currently is available only on their entry-level 5.1 channel receiver which also does not support Atmos. Many people agree with you that DPL can sound better than DSU.
Makes sense. New upmixer with Atmos support on Atmos capable models. But as someone who doesnt use Atmos, the new upmixer is a downgrade from the PLII. Would have been nice if they would have added Atmos upmix without downgrading other formats. Oh well.....
post #7849 of 12512 Old 08-28-2018, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is it possible to set the X3400H to use both sub preouts 1 and 2 for one input (TV/Movies), and only sub preout 1 for other outputs (music)?
post #7850 of 12512 Old 08-28-2018, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone been able to get a PS4 Pro outputting 4K HDR through a Denon receiver?

Just plugging it in, it tells me it can only do 2k (1080p?).

After a bit of research, I see I may need to turn on the "enhanced" 4K signal.

If I do that, I get no content being passed to the TV. My 2017 Shield seems to be working fine - Vizio P75 says it's getting a 2160p HDR10 signal.

Any ideas on what the problem might be? The PS4Pro, the Denon x3400, and the Vizio are all updated with the latest firmware.

Plugging the PS4 directly into the TV gives me the full range of options.

Last edited by ClayM; 08-28-2018 at 05:00 PM.
post #7851 of 12512 Old 08-28-2018, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Denon AVR-X2400H wattage at 4ohm?

Hello all. Looking to get some Emotiva T1 towers for a home theater setup (as well as center and rears). Recently purchased a Denon AVR-2400H receiver, and I know it's fully capable of powering 4 ohm speakers, but can't find anywhere the wattage it would provide at such. Emotiva says I'll want 150 watts to each channel at 4 ohms, so I guess just looking for confirmation that I shouldn't have a problem running these 5 new speakers at their ideal with my new AVR or if I should have opted for an X3400 or above...

Thanks!
[email protected] likes this.
post #7852 of 12512 Old 08-29-2018, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
AVR-X4400H TV Audio problem

So, I'm running an AVR-X4400H to an LG OLED65B7A via arc in a 5.2.4 atmos configuration and am absolutely tearing my hair out over this problem.

When using any of the TV apps I can not consistently get the TV audio signal to play through the receiver. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.

For example I fiddled with settings on the denon and got dolby atmos running perfectly and thought hooray I solved the problem. Then someone called me and Netflix time out and went back to the user selection screen and when I went back to the movie I was watching I had no sound again.

Another time I changed the 4k signal from enhanced to standard and then back to enhanced and went back to Netflix and boom it worked. The next time I turned Netflix on, no sound.

I don't know if it's the TV or the receiver, but it's driving me absolutely nuts. It generally takes me longer to screw around with seemingly random settings on the TV and receiver to get audio than it does to actually watch the movie.

I've called tech support with them both but you know how the finger pointing game goes.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a loss.

LG OLED65B7A, Denon AVR-X4400H, Kef R200C Center, 4x Kef R300s, 4 Kef Q50A Atmos Modules, 2x Hsu Research VTV-15H MK2s
post #7853 of 12512 Old 08-29-2018, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 296
a smart TV and ARC is a pretty good solution to an age old problem. But I have read some comments that ARC can be problematic. I have not run into any such problem using ARC so far. I have used it with a Vizio and my current Sony.

But I do not use the smart apps on the TV. I prefer to use streamer boxes - fire TV , CC. I would suggest a fireTV or Roku.Sorry I can't be of more help.

good luck.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #7854 of 12512 Old 08-29-2018, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Yeah I've read the same as well, now that you mention it I forgot I had a roku ultra in a box somewhere. Great now I have 4 remotes to deal with &#x1f602;... Looks like it's time to invest in a harmony. Cheers!

LG OLED65B7A, Denon AVR-X4400H, Kef R200C Center, 4x Kef R300s, 4 Kef Q50A Atmos Modules, 2x Hsu Research VTV-15H MK2s
post #7855 of 12512 Old 08-29-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor85 View Post
Yeah I've read the same as well, now that you mention it I forgot I had a roku ultra in a box somewhere. Great now I have 4 remotes to deal with &#x1f602;... Looks like it's time to invest in a harmony. Cheers!
One workaround is to use the digital optical audio output of the TV instead of its ARC audio. Of course, it won't provide Atmos.

Selden

post #7856 of 12512 Old 08-29-2018, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Try the Setup Assistant

Setup/Setup Assistant/TV Audio Connection

Denon AVR-X6400H,Sony KDL50W829 ,Virgin Media V Box HD, WDTV, PS3, Philips DVP9560, Marantz CD67, BK Monolith Plus x 2, KEF TDM 23C,23F & 34DS, Jamo D500, Darbee Darblet, Belkin F9G6223uk3M, Buttkicker LFE kit, IsoAcoustics L8R430, Mede8er 800X3D, Behringer B1200d, AC Infinity Aircom T9
post #7857 of 12512 Old 08-29-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisslagel View Post
Hello all. Looking to get some Emotiva T1 towers for a home theater setup (as well as center and rears). Recently purchased a Denon AVR-2400H receiver, and I know it's fully capable of powering 4 ohm speakers, but can't find anywhere the wattage it would provide at such. Emotiva says I'll want 150 watts to each channel at 4 ohms,
I think you're misreading the speaker specifications. The 150 W rating it the maximum allowable power. Appying more than that can damage the speakers. In most cases people listen at sound levels which use less than 1/10 of that. (e.g. most listen at a volume control setting of 70 on D&M equipment, which is 10dB below "reference" and uses 1/10 of the power needed to provide "reference" sound levels, which are provided at a volume control setting of 80.)

Quote:

so I guess just looking for confirmation that I shouldn't have a problem running these 5 new speakers at their ideal with my new AVR or if I should have opted for an X3400 or above...

Thanks!
It'll work fine. Don't set the receiver into its "4 Ohm" mode, though. The availability of that setting is a requirement of the safety certification organization. It just reduces the output voltage to avoid overheating. The receiver will automatically shut down when it gets too hot. Many people provide an external fan to keep things cool.
ccotenj and Madmax67 like this.

Selden

post #7858 of 12512 Old 08-29-2018, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Is it possible to set the X3400H to use both sub preouts 1 and 2 for one input (TV/Movies), and only sub preout 1 for other outputs (music)?
no.

even if it was, you’d need 2 different audyssey settings, and have to load each one dependent on whether you were using 1 or 2 subs.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #7859 of 12512 Old 08-29-2018, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For the music input maybe you can use the Option->Channel level adjust to attenuate one or both subs to get desired levels.
Travisx2112 likes this.
post #7860 of 12512 Old 08-29-2018, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
turn off HDMI Control on the Denon. You don't need it on for ARC to work. I have a Denon x3300 and the same LG TV and have never had a problem with ARC thru TV apps in the 10 months I've owned it.

If you do connect your Roku Ultra make sure you use a Certified Premium 18 Gbps HDMI cable. You should also use one from Denon to your OLED anyway.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24187

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , connectivity , Denon , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , Pioneer , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , subwoofer denon test tone , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , zone 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page