"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 279 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136240Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8341 of 12384 Old 10-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Member
 
eranl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a strange problem with my new Denon 4400 that I hope you guys can help me with.
Few days after applying (successfully) the latest firmware update (the one which adds Airplay 2 support), the Denon notified me about a new firmware version - however this new firmware version is the same one as the one I have already applied before (i.e. the Airplay 2 one). Nevertheless, I have updated the firmware again. This time, after the upgrade, I made sure Airplay 2 is working and there is no new firmware reported by the check update option (in the general settings). However, after few more days, the Denon asked me to update to the same firmware again. I have tried to update again but the problem keeps repeating itself - an endless firmware update loop. After the upgrade all looks fine but few days later the same firmware is detected as missing and an update is suggested.

Does anybody experience this problem?

Thanks
eranl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8342 of 12384 Old 10-01-2018, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,304
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22749 Post(s)
Liked: 12394
Quote:
Originally Posted by eranl View Post
I have a strange problem with my new Denon 4400 that I hope you guys can help me with.
Few days after applying (successfully) the latest firmware update (the one which adds Airplay 2 support), the Denon notified me about a new firmware version - however this new firmware version is the same one as the one I have already applied before (i.e. the Airplay 2 one). Nevertheless, I have updated the firmware again. This time, after the upgrade, I made sure Airplay 2 is working and there is no new firmware reported by the check update option (in the general settings). However, after few more days, the Denon asked me to update to the same firmware again. I have tried to update again but the problem keeps repeating itself - an endless firmware update loop. After the upgrade all looks fine but few days later the same firmware is detected as missing and an update is suggested.

Does anybody experience this problem?

Thanks
Refer to post 5 of this thread and do a "soft reset."
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #8343 of 12384 Old 10-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Member
 
eranl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Refer to post 5 of this thread and do a "soft reset."
Thanks, I have tried that and a "factory reset" - nothing helped. I have talked to Denon support and they suggested replacing the unit which I did, however the replaced unit has the same problem.
It may be a firmware/software issue which I wonder if the same behavior happens to other people even with other Denon models?
eranl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8344 of 12384 Old 10-01-2018, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,304
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22749 Post(s)
Liked: 12394
Quote:
Originally Posted by eranl View Post
Thanks, I have tried that and a "factory reset" - nothing helped. I have talked to Denon support and they suggested replacing the unit which I did, however the replaced unit has the same problem.
It may be a firmware/software issue which I wonder if the same behavior happens to other people even with other Denon models?
Hmmm .. will have to wait for some other owners to chime in then with their own experience.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #8345 of 12384 Old 10-01-2018, 02:53 PM
Newbie
 
alkalinelito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone tested the standby power consumption of this avr's ?

I have a x2400w and was getting 9 watts consumption in standby , and it's a long way from 0.5 watts in the manual.

I turned on HEOS power saving in the app (don't use heos)

I use wifi (for spotify connect) and turned off network control ( So spotify no longer works on standby mode) , I can't ping the avr.

And I still get 4watts power consumption .

If anyone has measured it, what's your power consumption in standby ?
alkalinelito is offline  
post #8346 of 12384 Old 10-01-2018, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by eranl View Post
Thanks, I have tried that and a "factory reset" - nothing helped. I have talked to Denon support and they suggested replacing the unit which I did, however the replaced unit has the same problem.
It may be a firmware/software issue which I wonder if the same behavior happens to other people even with other Denon models?
I have an x4400 purchased a few weeks ago. It downloaded a firmware update when I first turned it on. It works without a flaw, and it hasn't notified me of other updates.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
post #8347 of 12384 Old 10-01-2018, 04:56 PM
Member
 
eranl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
I have an x4400 purchased a few weeks ago. It downloaded a firmware update when I first turned it on. It works without a flaw, and it hasn't notified me of other updates.
Thanks, I have actually tried with 3 different units (all during the last month) and all have the same problem. Have you tried manually checking for updates?
eranl is offline  
post #8348 of 12384 Old 10-01-2018, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by eranl View Post
I have a strange problem with my new Denon 4400 that I hope you guys can help me with.
Few days after applying (successfully) the latest firmware update (the one which adds Airplay 2 support), the Denon notified me about a new firmware version - however this new firmware version is the same one as the one I have already applied before (i.e. the Airplay 2 one). Nevertheless, I have updated the firmware again. This time, after the upgrade, I made sure Airplay 2 is working and there is no new firmware reported by the check update option (in the general settings). However, after few more days, the Denon asked me to update to the same firmware again. I have tried to update again but the problem keeps repeating itself - an endless firmware update loop. After the upgrade all looks fine but few days later the same firmware is detected as missing and an update is suggested.

Does anybody experience this problem?

Thanks

I have had this happen twice with my X6400. I don't know what causes it but it doesn't seem to happen on a regular basis and so far I have noticed no ill effect other than my massive confusion the first time I experienced it.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
Nillaz is online now  
post #8349 of 12384 Old 10-01-2018, 09:58 PM
Member
 
crsloan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW Area
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by eranl View Post
Thanks, I have actually tried with 3 different units (all during the last month) and all have the same problem. Have you tried manually checking for updates?
Had my X4400H since 9/4/18 and it updated when I installed it and have not had issues since then. Just did a manual check for updates and it indicates I have current software.

Family Room: Sony XBR-77A9G 4K TV, Denon AVR X4400H, Oppo UDP 203 4K Blu Ray Player, Apple 4K TV, Directv HR54 Genie, Directv C61K 4K Client
Klipsch RF83s, L&R mains, RC64, Center, RS 62s, Back Surrounds, 4 Dolby Atmos RP 140SA, SVS SB-16 Ultra, RSW15 Subs, 5.2.4 system.
Bedroom: Sony XBR 49 900F, Oppo UDP 203 4K Blu Ray Player, Directv C61K 4K Client.
crsloan is offline  
post #8350 of 12384 Old 10-02-2018, 01:25 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eranl View Post
Thanks, I have tried that and a "factory reset" - nothing helped. I have talked to Denon support and they suggested replacing the unit which I did, however the replaced unit has the same problem.

It may be a firmware/software issue which I wonder if the same behavior happens to other people even with other Denon models?


Just purchased a X4400H 2 week-end ago. No problem here. When I switched on the unit for the first time, it did the last update, and done.



Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
ambolik is online now  
post #8351 of 12384 Old 10-02-2018, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by eranl View Post
Thanks, I have actually tried with 3 different units (all during the last month) and all have the same problem. Have you tried manually checking for updates?
Yes, I tried yesterday; there were no new firmware updates. My firmware is 5451-0301-839-6164

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
post #8352 of 12384 Old 10-02-2018, 09:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey guys,
I have the AVR-x3400h and have a quick question.

While listing to music, I prefer to listen in Stereo w/ sub.(I have relatively small mains) I know that I can change to the various settings in 'Music' mode....it appears that when I change to Stereo mode, the pwred sub deactivates.

What is the most direct way to set this on this receiver? ...so when I select 'Music', it is always in Stereo w/ prw sub? I assume it may be choosing another mode and adjusting all of the other channels to zero. Hopefully there is an easier way.

Thank you!
MontyTheLab is offline  
post #8353 of 12384 Old 10-02-2018, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Quicksilv3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orangeville Canada
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyTheLab View Post
Hey guys,

I have the AVR-x3400h and have a quick question.



While listing to music, I prefer to listen in Stereo w/ sub.(I have relatively small mains) I know that I can change to the various settings in 'Music' mode....it appears that when I change to Stereo mode, the pwred sub deactivates.



What is the most direct way to set this on this receiver? ...so when I select 'Music', it is always in Stereo w/ prw sub? I assume it may be choosing another mode and adjusting all of the other channels to zero. Hopefully there is an easier way.



Thank you!


Do some reading in first 8 posts. You will find very valuable information in regards to quick select and how to use to make necessary changes and have it saved and easily recalled at a click of a button


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
Quicksilv3r is offline  
post #8354 of 12384 Old 10-02-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 22,119
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyTheLab View Post
Hey guys,
I have the AVR-x3400h and have a quick question.

While listing to music, I prefer to listen in Stereo w/ sub.(I have relatively small mains) I know that I can change to the various settings in 'Music' mode....it appears that when I change to Stereo mode, the pwred sub deactivates.

What is the most direct way to set this on this receiver? ...so when I select 'Music', it is always in Stereo w/ prw sub? I assume it may be choosing another mode and adjusting all of the other channels to zero. Hopefully there is an easier way.

Thank you!
you do have your speakers set to “small”, correct?
ahblaza likes this.

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #8355 of 12384 Old 10-02-2018, 10:07 AM
Member
 
rdh86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey everyone, proud 4400 owner here.
I currently have a 5.1.2 setup with the .2 being Onkyo upward firing Atmos speakers. I'm moving in November and my dedicated home theater space will have a drop ceiling so I'm able to install proper ceiling speakers. I'm just wondering what the recommended ceiling speaker layout/number of speakers would be. Would .4 (2 in front & 2 behind) be the safest bet? I understand this could vary by user, but is Auro3d or DTS:X worth it?

I understand there's a wealth of knowledge in the first couple of posts, just looking for a couple opinions.

Thank you!

Vizio P65-E1 | Denon X4400H | Nvidia Shield TV 2017 | Roku Ultra | AppleTV 4K | Chromecast Ultra| Sony UBP-X800 | Samsung BD-6500| PS4 Pro | Switch | Wii-U | SNES Classic | NES Classic| 1080ti Powered Gaming PC | 1060 Powered HTPC
rdh86 is offline  
post #8356 of 12384 Old 10-02-2018, 10:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post
you do have your speakers set to “small”, correct?

Now I do...problem fixed. I just read this on the 1st page. I have had this receiver for about a year and must have missed this. Thank you.
MontyTheLab is offline  
post #8357 of 12384 Old 10-02-2018, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,304
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22749 Post(s)
Liked: 12394
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdh86 View Post
Hey everyone, proud 4400 owner here.
I currently have a 5.1.2 setup with the .2 being Onkyo upward firing Atmos speakers. I'm moving in November and my dedicated home theater space will have a drop ceiling so I'm able to install proper ceiling speakers. I'm just wondering what the recommended ceiling speaker layout/number of speakers would be. Would .4 (2 in front & 2 behind) be the safest bet? I understand this could vary by user, but is Auro3d or DTS:X worth it?

I understand there's a wealth of knowledge in the first couple of posts, just looking for a couple opinions.

Thank you!
Yes ….. two in front and two behind.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #8358 of 12384 Old 10-02-2018, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 22,119
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyTheLab View Post
Now I do...problem fixed. I just read this on the 1st page. I have had this receiver for about a year and must have missed this. Thank you.
cool.

make sure you set the xover to 80hz too.
ahblaza likes this.

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #8359 of 12384 Old 10-02-2018, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 4,028
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 3464
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdh86 View Post
Hey everyone, proud 4400 owner here.
I currently have a 5.1.2 setup with the .2 being Onkyo upward firing Atmos speakers. I'm moving in November and my dedicated home theater space will have a drop ceiling so I'm able to install proper ceiling speakers. I'm just wondering what the recommended ceiling speaker layout/number of speakers would be. Would .4 (2 in front & 2 behind) be the safest bet? I understand this could vary by user, but is Auro3d or DTS:X worth it?

I understand there's a wealth of knowledge in the first couple of posts, just looking for a couple opinions.

Thank you!
Wealth of knowledge here as well:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...r-version.html

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-4-setups.html
ahblaza is online now  
post #8360 of 12384 Old 10-02-2018, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 4,028
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 3464
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post
cool.

make sure you set the xover to 80hz too.
Did say he had really small mains..............
ccotenj likes this.
ahblaza is online now  
post #8361 of 12384 Old 10-02-2018, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
This sounds highly doubtful since Denon already produces a standalone audio DAC with AL32 processing with nothing other than analog and SPDIF connections available.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18gX...w?usp=drivesdk

With that DAC that's what you and I had thought when this was discussed in prior posts . Since then Denon support finally responded to my email, (it took them quite some time) and stated that this is not the case with the 4400. No AL32 processing with two ch sources via optical or analog.

There is no visual confirmation on the front display of AL32 processing for those two types of inputs when using 2 ch pcm signals so I assume they are correct.

I agree with them, after testing further, I definitely hear a audible difference with the same content on hdmi 2 ch sources vs. analog/optical. I hope they can somehow make it work with a firmware update at a later date.

There is a workaround for now so not too much of a issue for me. Though I don't like having to use a hdmi device to listen to 2 ch music when I can just use a device like a Chromecast Audio to get the best audio quality possible.

I'm flexible but I think Denon messed this one up. Your paying for AL32 processing with the 4400 and it should function on 2 ch content with analog sources. I have not checked the turntable connection but I'd be kind of annoyed if AL32 does not work with one, or for that matter a standalone CD player.

Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Phillies! Go Flyers!
tingham is offline  
post #8362 of 12384 Old 10-02-2018, 02:58 PM
Member
 
mod220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking at buying an AVR this week, and came across the X line for Denon. Since I need AVR and want whole house audio, I'm thinking of getting several AVR with HEOS already built in. I will have 4 AVRS powering 8 zones, the most immediate need is the first level.

AVR 1
Family Room - 5.1
Kitchen - 2 ceiling speakers

AVR 2
Living Room - 2 ceiling speakers
Back Yard - 2 ceiling speakers

I've heard the "4" ie 1400 models now allow Alexa after firmware update, but its clunkier than the new "5" series. Any insight there? Also, based on arrangement above, I was thinking of 1400 for living/yard but doing the 2400 since I want to be able to have kitchen playing whatever is on TV (kitchen and family is one big room) and my understanding is the 1400 cant do that. Any insight on going with 1400/2400/3400? I'm always trying to save money but don't want to regret a $100 cost savings if I end up missing a key feature. Lastly, was leaning towards Harmony Elite, but have read issues where you only want to power on one zone, and they both turn on, has this been resolved with a firmware update? My hope is to use the Logitech when watching TV and the HEOS app when playing music.

Thanks!
mod220 is offline  
post #8363 of 12384 Old 10-03-2018, 11:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkalinelito View Post
Has anyone tested the standby power consumption of this avr's ?

I have a x2400w and was getting 9 watts consumption in standby , and it's a long way from 0.5 watts in the manual.

I turned on HEOS power saving in the app (don't use heos)

I use wifi (for spotify connect) and turned off network control ( So spotify no longer works on standby mode) , I can't ping the avr.

And I still get 4watts power consumption .

If anyone has measured it, what's your power consumption in standby ?

I have. My 4400 also goes to about 9 watts but never lower. Occasionally it goes up to 12-14 watts, I assume it is some background network activity that raises the power use. Before I got the 4400 my receiver was much lower but I never measured. I have a power saving power strip and I had to change which device was the master, the 4400 never gets low enough that the switched ports turn off on the strip!

Living room: Denon AVR-X4400H, KG3.5 based Klipsch 5.1 speakers with one Rythmik LVX12. LG 65" UF8500, Xbox One. Using cheapo upfiring speakers for atmos now, in-ceiling speakers coming soon(-ish).
Office: Monoprice 25 watt hybrid amp with a pair of Walnut Wharfedale Diamond 220s and occasionally a Velodyne VX-10B.
owenv2 is offline  
post #8364 of 12384 Old 10-03-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,833
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkalinelito View Post
Has anyone tested the standby power consumption of this avr's ?

I have a x2400w and was getting 9 watts consumption in standby , and it's a long way from 0.5 watts in the manual.

I turned on HEOS power saving in the app (don't use heos)

I use wifi (for spotify connect) and turned off network control ( So spotify no longer works on standby mode) , I can't ping the avr.

And I still get 4watts power consumption .

If anyone has measured it, what's your power consumption in standby ?
You don't mention disabling the "Pass Through" feature. It's a power hog in standby since all of the HDMI chips have to be powered on for it to work.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #8365 of 12384 Old 10-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
You don't mention disabling the "Pass Through" feature. It's a power hog in standby since all of the HDMI chips have to be powered on for it to work.

Disabling HDMI pass through brought mine down to 4 watts with network on (wired or wireless). When I turned both HDMI pass through off and networking off while in standby the usage dropped to 0.1 watt. I'll choose to deal with the 9 watts in standby. Both HDMI-CEC (requires pass through) and standby networking are useful to me.
vn800art likes this.

Living room: Denon AVR-X4400H, KG3.5 based Klipsch 5.1 speakers with one Rythmik LVX12. LG 65" UF8500, Xbox One. Using cheapo upfiring speakers for atmos now, in-ceiling speakers coming soon(-ish).
Office: Monoprice 25 watt hybrid amp with a pair of Walnut Wharfedale Diamond 220s and occasionally a Velodyne VX-10B.
owenv2 is offline  
post #8366 of 12384 Old 10-03-2018, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,005
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2251 Post(s)
Liked: 2551
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post
With that DAC that's what you and I had thought when this was discussed in prior posts . Since then Denon support finally responded to my email, (it took them quite some time) and stated that this is not the case with the 4400. No AL32 processing with two ch sources via optical or analog.

There is no visual confirmation on the front display of AL32 processing for those two types of inputs when using 2 ch pcm signals so I assume they are correct.

I agree with them, after testing further, I definitely hear a audible difference with the same content on hdmi 2 ch sources vs. analog/optical. I hope they can somehow make it work with a firmware update at a later date.

There is a workaround for now so not too much of a issue for me. Though I don't like having to use a hdmi device to listen to 2 ch music when I can just use a device like a Chromecast Audio to get the best audio quality possible.

I'm flexible but I think Denon messed this one up. Your paying for AL32 processing with the 4400 and it should function on 2 ch content with analog sources. I have not checked the turntable connection but I'd be kind of annoyed if AL32 does not work with one, or for that matter a standalone CD player.
So Alpha proccessing pops up on the receivers display when using HDMI? Ive never noticed this with my X4300H. So optical which is a digital connection doesn't enable AL32 but digital coax which is basically the same connection does? Or is it all SPDIF connections don't? Maybe I'll reconnect my optical cable from my multi disc CD player and check that against my digital coax connection (no HDMI output for that player.) None of this makes any real sense but I'm doubting Denon not you as the messenger. They state the Alpha proccessing works on all audio channels which is very misleading as they never specify excluding particular inputs. Its obvious the processing is capable of working on those connections because of their other multiple products with this processing but without HDMI. Very strange. Thanks for taking the time to relay their response. They should include that in their advertising for it and in all their product manuals. After the fact isnt really good enough IMO but it is what it is.
ahblaza and vn800art like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #8367 of 12384 Old 10-03-2018, 02:20 PM
Member
 
mod220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod220 View Post
I'm looking at buying an AVR this week, and came across the X line for Denon. Since I need AVR and want whole house audio, I'm thinking of getting several AVR with HEOS already built in. I will have 4 AVRS powering 8 zones, the most immediate need is the first level.

AVR 1
Family Room - 5.1
Kitchen - 2 ceiling speakers

AVR 2
Living Room - 2 ceiling speakers
Back Yard - 2 ceiling speakers

I've heard the "4" ie 1400 models now allow Alexa after firmware update, but its clunkier than the new "5" series. Any insight there? Also, based on arrangement above, I was thinking of 1400 for living/yard but doing the 2400 since I want to be able to have kitchen playing whatever is on TV (kitchen and family is one big room) and my understanding is the 1400 cant do that. Any insight on going with 1400/2400/3400? I'm always trying to save money but don't want to regret a $100 cost savings if I end up missing a key feature. Lastly, was leaning towards Harmony Elite, but have read issues where you only want to power on one zone, and they both turn on, has this been resolved with a firmware update? My hope is to use the Logitech when watching TV and the HEOS app when playing music.

Thanks!
anyone have some input, hoping to order today, thanks!
mod220 is offline  
post #8368 of 12384 Old 10-03-2018, 06:04 PM
Newbie
 
alkalinelito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
You don't mention disabling the "Pass Through" feature. It's a power hog in standby since all of the HDMI chips have to be powered on for it to work.
I disabled HDMI Control and Pass Through and it lowered to 3 watts, long way to 0.5 with CEC denon claims
alkalinelito is offline  
post #8369 of 12384 Old 10-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Newbie
 
alkalinelito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenv2 View Post
I have. My 4400 also goes to about 9 watts but never lower. Occasionally it goes up to 12-14 watts, I assume it is some background network activity that raises the power use. Before I got the 4400 my receiver was much lower but I never measured. I have a power saving power strip and I had to change which device was the master, the 4400 never gets low enough that the switched ports turn off on the strip!
Thanks for the answer! . Its a long way from 0.5 watts with CEC Denon claims.


Do you have network control on standby on ? and HDMI control ?
alkalinelito is offline  
post #8370 of 12384 Old 10-03-2018, 07:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkalinelito View Post
Thanks for the answer! . Its a long way from 0.5 watts with CEC Denon claims.


Do you have network control on standby on ? and HDMI control ?

I tested a few variations of settings while the system was in standby for more than 5 minutes.



Network on during standby and HDMI-CEC on: 9 watts
Network on, HDMI-CEC (and HDMI pass-through) off: 4 watts
Network off, HDMI-CEC (and HDMI pass-through) on: 4 watts
Both network off & HDMI-CEC off: 0.1 watts.
ahblaza likes this.

Living room: Denon AVR-X4400H, KG3.5 based Klipsch 5.1 speakers with one Rythmik LVX12. LG 65" UF8500, Xbox One. Using cheapo upfiring speakers for atmos now, in-ceiling speakers coming soon(-ish).
Office: Monoprice 25 watt hybrid amp with a pair of Walnut Wharfedale Diamond 220s and occasionally a Velodyne VX-10B.
owenv2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , connectivity , Denon , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , Pioneer , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , subwoofer denon test tone , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , zone 2

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off