"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 283 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136223Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8461 of 12286 Old 10-10-2018, 11:48 PM
Senior Member
 
FarleyUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Why, when I save a preset on selection 1 with zone 2 and 3 both off, do zones 2 and 3 come on when I recall that preset?

Really starting to annoy me. I just want zones 2 and 3 off on every input, so the device actually shuts down properly when turned off.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FarleyUK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8462 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 12:57 AM
Member
 
Thunder240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by avman09 View Post
In theory there are pros and cons for both design. The mid to top line D&M EI frame transformers have copper shield wrap around the windings. Being custom designed, I assume they have other build in features to minimize leakage flux and hums. In fact, all my D&M AVP/AVRs/amps have quieter transformers, almost inaudible even with ears glue to the top, than the toroids in my separate power amps. If you look at S&V's measurements, their SNR, XT have been excellent over the years. HDAM, Toroidal Tx, like AL24/32, high bit rates/sampling rates etc., do have audio benefits, but as usual, there are always caveats and not all one sided. Marketing people tend to embellish..



http://www.soundstage.com/maxdb/maxdb071998.htm

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass...nsformers.html



The AVR-X6400/6500H, AVR-X8500H seem to have better EI frame transformers if you go by the look, than the SR7012. Again, likely just cosmetics.. So in my opinion, no, not a factor at all especially if you plan on using external amp for the LCR channels.


Great info, and thanks for the links!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder240 is offline  
post #8463 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 07:58 AM
Member
 
Lex vs Kingpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ankara, Turkey
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would like to ask a question regarding the subwoofer sound levels.

I own a S730H and even though I bridged my phonic mar 4 subwoofer amp for a single infinity ref1260w I can start hearing the bass frequencies (and see the green light on the amp) only if the receiver volume is around 60, is it normal? I would like my subwoofer to be activated even I am at 40-45 db.

Thanks,

Last edited by Lex vs Kingpin; 10-11-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Lex vs Kingpin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8464 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 08:29 AM
Member
 
Swoosh830's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
I agree.
I guess the only other benefit in my case (since I'm not using more than 7 speakers) of the X4400H would be features like DDSC-HD, AL32 Alpha Processing, and Bass Sync.

Does anyone have any input regarding whether or not these features are worth the $300 step up to the X4400H from the X3400H?
Swoosh830 is offline  
post #8465 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh830 View Post
I guess the only other benefit in my case (since I'm not using more than 7 speakers) of the X4400H would be features like DDSC-HD, AL32 Alpha Processing, and Bass Sync.

Does anyone have any input regarding whether or not these features are worth the $300 step up to the X4400H from the X3400H?
Bass Sync: It's supposed to compensate for a delay in the LFE channel of certain BluRay discs. I can find no information on how a listener knows when this is happening or how to determine the degree of compensation (up to 16 milliseconds) to apply.

AL32: From Denon publicity material: "AL32 Processing: Denon has further developed its proprietary AL32 Processing, an analog waveform reproduction technology, to support the 192 kHz sampling frequency. AL32 Processing, thoroughly suppresses quantization noise associated with D/A conversion to reproduce the low-level signals with optimum clarity that will bring out all the delicate nuances of the music."
https://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/an...ypes-are-there
Since you can't turn this feature off, there is no way to determine what it adds to the sound quality of a digital signal that the AVR converts to analog. If you are comparing a Denon AVR with AL32 to another Denon without, the only comparison is the overall sound quality of the AVR's analog output.

DDSC-HD: Similar to AL32, this is a description of circuit design, not a feature that can be turned off and on. The overall sound of AVRs on surround signals with or without this circuit design is the only valid comparison.
https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answe...%2Fv-receivers
Swoosh830 and Madmax67 like this.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
post #8466 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,832
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex vs Kingpin View Post
I would like to ask a question regarding the subwoofer sound levels.

I own a S730H and even though I bridged my phonic mar 4 subwoofer amp for a single infinity ref1260w I can start hearing the bass frequencies (and see the green light on the amp) only if the receiver volume is around 60, is it normal? I would like my subwoofer to be activated even I am at 40-45 db.

Thanks,
Most people turn up the subwoofer trim level by about +5 dB.

If you haven't already, please take the time to look through the Audyssey 101/FAQ. It discusses the subwoofer issues and will help you to get a good calibration. The instructions in the equipment's owner's manual are pathetically inadequate.
Madmax67 likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #8467 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,061
Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22616 Post(s)
Liked: 12310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex vs Kingpin View Post
I would like to ask a question regarding the subwoofer sound levels.

I own a S730H and even though I bridged my phonic mar 4 subwoofer amp for a single infinity ref1260w I can start hearing the bass frequencies (and see the green light on the amp) only if the receiver volume is around 60, is it normal? I would like my subwoofer to be activated even I am at 40-45 db.

Thanks,
Ensure the final level of the Manual Setup (Subwoofer) is somewhere within -3dB to 0dB as doing so will ensure the sub powers on if you have it set to AUTO. However, note also that average listening level is generally 50-70 with low audio levels below 50.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #8468 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,061
Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22616 Post(s)
Liked: 12310
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarleyUK View Post
Why, when I save a preset on selection 1 with zone 2 and 3 both off, do zones 2 and 3 come on when I recall that preset?

Really starting to annoy me. I just want zones 2 and 3 off on every input, so the device actually shuts down properly when turned off.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you using a Quick Select? Are you using a Harmony (or other Universal) remote?

As noted in post 4 (Issues):

All Zones Power ON - When using a universal remote (eg. Harmony) to power on the multi zone models, all zones will be powered on (ie. main, Zone2, Zone3). A few work arounds include: (a) "teaching" the universal remote the discrete power on sequence for each zone from the Denon remote, (b) select an individual source button which will also power on the AVR as well, or (c) simply set the Zones 2/3 "Power On Volume" to either "Mute" or some low volume level (eg. 40 or -40db). Note this can also occur when using the Denon remote, so if you power OFF the AVR and the front panel says "Main Zone OFF" but the unit still remains powered ON, that means you have Zone 2 (and/or 3) powered on as well and must turn them OFF to power off the AVR. With the X4400H and X6400H remotes you can also set the remote to only affect changes in the main zone (p. 263 (X4400H) / p. 262 (X6400H) Owner's manual).
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #8469 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thomasfxlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,990
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3328 Post(s)
Liked: 6176
Picked up a new Denon x4500h to replace a non-DV capable Pioneer Elite SC-95 (which sounded great). The interface on this Denon is much better and overall the AVR is less trouble to setup. Pretty much everything just works including running my ATV 4K through it enroute to a Sony display. The Sony Android apps are sending audio over ARC no problem including Atmos. Nice rig. Like always though, I find myself boosting the center channel at low volumes.

Can anyone explain the Dynamic EQ thing and the offset settings?

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
thomasfxlt is offline  
post #8470 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,061
Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22616 Post(s)
Liked: 12310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy.Alexander View Post
Still looking for help! Volume issue is really angering me. Was watching a movie tonight and couldn’t go past -14 with a DTSX—- every other sound format / selection I could go to -2.5, Volume limiter is off. This Denon is turning me off from their products
The AVR's master volume level can be limited by the <Source Level> setting, individual Manual Setup speaker level settings as well as by the source itself.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #8471 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,061
Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22616 Post(s)
Liked: 12310
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Picked up a new Denon x4500h to replace a non-DV capable Pioneer Elite SC-95 (which sounded great). The interface on this Denon is much better and overall the AVR is less trouble to setup. Pretty much everything just works including running my ATV 4K through it enroute to a Sony display. The Sony Android apps are sending audio over ARC no problem including Atmos. Nice rig. Like always though, I find myself boosting the center channel at low volumes.

Can anyone explain the Dynamic EQ thing and the offset settings?
Dynamic EQ boosts the bass/surround audio at lower volume levels instead of having to raise the master volume to levels that might otherwise be too high. The Reference Level Offset settings simply reduce the impact of Dynamic EQ with 5 being the lowest reduction and 15 being the most reduction. Generally 10 is the most common setting used which in some cases will help to improve the center channel dialog. You may also want to consider using Dynamic Volume which normalizes the volume (ie. boosts lower level dialog but also limits the loud explosions/bangs so more often used at night or when you don't want to disturb others in adjacent rooms).
ppasteur, thomasfxlt and Madmax67 like this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #8472 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The AVR's master volume level can be limited by the <Source Level> setting, individual Manual Setup speaker level settings as well as by the source itself.
Okay. I shut off Dunamic EQ and got a bit more. Just frustrating when eating ARC Netflix and have crank it to hear anything but avr won’t let you. I have HTPC connected and that’s at 100% volume. I did notice randomly if I mute HTPC volume and put back to 100- I’ll get more avr volume but soon after it goes back. I have every thing on straight pass through with the exception of Windows it’s self- haven’t found a option for that yet. But all media players pass everything straight to 4400H
Remy.Alexander is offline  
post #8473 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,581
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugsta View Post
Anyone have any experience using an HDMI splitter with zone 2 on a X4400H. I sure I would probably be asking for trouble by doing this.
I have an x4200 and x6400. I used a monoprice 1 in 4 out. Originally I had it coming from my Tivo but ended up feeding it with one of the outputs on the x4200, it works the same with the x6400. It feeds 4 tvs that are close, theater, living room, kitchen and office. The reason I switched to using the Denon output was I only got stereo when I used the tivo, but the first one failed and I don't think I tried the new one that they replaced it with. It is nice to have it active on multiple inputs, but it does not work with 4k content on a 1080 tv if there is one in the chain.

They don't have the model I have anymore, but this is similar. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15259

You already have 3 zones with your x4400, by default 2 displays can be fed and you can do a 3rd on Zone 3. I have a projector and tv in the same room, that's why I got the dual output receiver.
jugsta and Madmax67 like this.
gregoryperkins is online now  
post #8474 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,963
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy.Alexander View Post
Okay. I shut off Dunamic EQ and got a bit more. Just frustrating when eating ARC Netflix and have crank it to hear anything but avr won’t let you. I have HTPC connected and that’s at 100% volume. I did notice randomly if I mute HTPC volume and put back to 100- I’ll get more avr volume but soon after it goes back. I have every thing on straight pass through with the exception of Windows it’s self- haven’t found a option for that yet. But all media players pass everything straight to 4400H
Whats 100% volume? Reference level 0dB after running Audyssey EQ and setting your mains to small crossed over at 80HZ to your sub's, bass set to LFE not LFE+Mains? My one year older model X4300H has headroom all the way to +11dB so there's either something reducing it in your system or the receiver has a problem. Try to just insert a blu ray player into the mix connected to the receiver and see what happens. The other option is to take the receiver to a friend's/neighbors house and connect it up to their setup and see if the issue follows. If not it's something in your setup reducing the available headroom and not the receiver. If yes it's time for either an RMA or PPS. Ive also never had a receiver not let me go to Reference and there are 2 Denon's in that pool of recievers so it might be the receiver itself and it might not.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #8475 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 04:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Whats 100% volume? Reference level 0dB after running Audyssey EQ and setting your mains to small crossed over at 80HZ to your sub's, bass set to LFE not LFE+Mains? My one year older model X4300H has headroom all the way to +11dB so there's either something reducing it in your system or the receiver has a problem. Try to just insert a blu ray player into the mix connected to the receiver and see what happens. The other option is to take the receiver to a friend's/neighbors house and connect it up to their setup and see if the issue follows. If not it's something in your setup reducing the available headroom and not the receiver. If yes it's time for either an RMA or PPS. Ive also never had a receiver not let me go to Reference and there are 2 Denon's in that pool of recievers so it might be the receiver itself and it might not.
Not sure why mention xover and stuff lol AVR shouldn’t stop me from hitting reference. And no I’d never cross at 80hz I built my speakers as full range and I use them that way. I don’t own a Blu-ray player. I use only digital media- HTPC and Streaming. I’ve also never had a receiver not let me go to reference. I don’t know anyone irl with a system - also running Audyssey generally limits my volume even more.
Remy.Alexander is offline  
post #8476 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RickD1225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,343
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 1166
Turn Audyssey off, do you get reference volume?

Spoiler!
RickD1225 is offline  
post #8477 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,963
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy.Alexander View Post
Not sure why mention xover and stuff lol AVR shouldn’t stop me from hitting reference. And no I’d never cross at 80hz I built my speakers as full range and I use them that way.
I've seen your speaker build and you have subwoofers yes? I mention crossovers and basic bass mgmt. because you need to troubleshoot things which means trying something different than you already have been trying and see if the results change . Not disparaging your speaker build so no lol's needed but they are part of the whole audio chain and need to get eliminated as a possible contributer as well.

Quote:
I don’t own a Blu-ray player. I use only digital media- HTPC and Streaming. I’ve also never had a receiver not let me go to reference.
Understand about the blu ray player but many here can say the same thing about the exact same receiver you currently own having no problem reaching Reference and higher for them so maybe it's your specific receiver thats the issue and maybe it isn't. Possibly instead a combination of things which I think is probably closer to the mark since you said you did hit Reference but only with a particular source.


Quote:
I don’t know anyone irl with a system
No one does until they reach out on either social media if that's your thing or here on AVS like I've seen some others here do in the past. Lot's of hidden hobbyists and all you'd need is one to offer up another system close by you to help troubleshoot a defective receiver. At least that way you'd know the cost of an RMA wouldnt be wasted or a PPS wouldn't just be dumping a problem receiver onto another unsuspecting AVSer.

Quote:
running Audyssey generally limits my volume even more.
That's DSP related so no surprise there that it eats some headroom when in the loop. Still shouldn't be just Audyssey keeping you under Reference.

Your available headroom is going to be dictated by several things. Source materials dynamic range, DSP in the loop and the level of boosts or cuts it has to do , individual manual speaker/sub channel level boosts etc... You definitely seem to have capable enough speakers though. When you enable Direct mode how much of your headroom do you get back? Mine goes from +11dB to +18dB for example with the EQ boosts/cuts that Audyssey did to my speakers removed.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #8478 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
I've seen your speaker build and you have subwoofers yes? I mention crossovers and basic bass mgmt. because you need to troubleshoot things which means trying something different than you already have been trying and see if the results change . Not disparaging your speaker build so no lol's needed but they are part of the whole audio chain and need to get eliminated as a possible contributer as well.



Understand about the blu ray player but many here can say the same thing about the exact same receiver you currently own having no problem reaching Reference and higher for them so maybe it's your specific receiver thats the issue and maybe it isn't. Possibly instead a combination of things which I think is probably closer to the mark since you said you did hit Reference but only with a particular source.




No one does until they reach out on either social media if that's your thing or here on AVS like I've seen some others here do in the past. Lot's of hidden hobbyists and all you'd need is one to offer up another system close by you to help troubleshoot a defective receiver. At least that way you'd know the cost of an RMA wouldnt be wasted or a PPS wouldn't just be dumping a problem receiver onto another unsuspecting AVSer.



That's DSP related so no surprise there that it eats some headroom when in the loop. Still shouldn't be just Audyssey keeping you under Reference.

Your available headroom is going to be dictated by several things. Source materials dynamic range, DSP in the loop and the level of boosts or cuts it has to do , individual manual speaker/sub channel level boosts etc... You definitely seem to have capable enough speakers though. When you enable Direct mode how much of your headroom do you get back? Mine goes from +11dB to +18dB for example with the EQ boosts/cuts that Audyssey did to my speakers removed.







Thank you- I appreciate your time and help. I’ll go over those and see what I can come up with. When I go direct. Direct let’s me go to +8 I put Audyssey on Flat and shut off eq and let’s me go to -1.0 Sorry about any negativity- I’m a ahole about my build. Lot of people think I’m a nut job for wanting what I want. I’ll research threads here see if way can find people help test this issue. Generally-20/-15 more than enough, But with ARC and streaming from TV sound is so low I have to go to -10 or less.

And yes I have 2 VBSS tuned to 15hz only lol left the “slots” out to use 20hz

Last edited by Remy.Alexander; 10-11-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Remy.Alexander is offline  
post #8479 of 12286 Old 10-11-2018, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,963
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy.Alexander View Post
Thank you- I appreciate your time and help. I’ll go over those and see what I can come up with.
You're very welcome. I like helping others if I can.


Quote:
When I go direct. Direct let’s me go to +8 I put Audyssey on Flat and shut off eq and let’s me go to -1.0
Got it.


Quote:
Sorry about any negativity- I’m a ahole about my build. Lot of people think I’m a nut job for wanting what I want.
No apologies necessary. You put a lot of hard work and research into your system and it's totally understandable that they are a source of pride. I sure don't have the guts to attempt what you did in your build. Hats off to ya!

Quote:
I’ll research threads here see if way can find people help test this issue. Generally-20/-15 more than enough, But with ARC and streaming from TV sound is so low I have to go to -10 or less.
More compression in streaming sources but still that's strange. Those levels streaming through my TV's apps would deafen me but your space is larger I'm sure. I can't remember hearing of attenuation to this degree before such that not even 0dB is available. I know that Audyssey can make cuts of like 20dB and boosts of 9dB so thats part of it for sure. Just not all of it.


Quote:
And yes I have 2 VBSS tuned to 15hz only lol left the “slots” out to use 20hz
Hehehe. I knew that already. I read your posts about the build. Nice job.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #8480 of 12286 Old 10-12-2018, 06:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hey guys, a question regarding the 6400 vs the 4400..

I intend to run a 7.2.4 Atmos setup and of course the 6400 can do this out of the box. It seems I can also do this with the 4400 simply by adding an external, 2 channel amp as it has the ability to process all 11 channels. If I opted for this option, I'd probably get the external amp on the cheap, under $150 or so, so I'd be look at around $1500 for the 6400 and less than $1000 for the 4400 with extra amp.

My question is there any reason to splurge for the 6400? Of course it has a few more watts per channel, but everything else appears identical with the 4400. I'd really like to get the 6400 to make myself feel like I got the very best that I can currently afford, but having trouble making a decision here. Any input would be great.
matpal is offline  
post #8481 of 12286 Old 10-12-2018, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RickD1225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,343
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 1166
Look at the first page of this thread. All info on added features is right there.
mjwagner likes this.

Spoiler!
RickD1225 is offline  
post #8482 of 12286 Old 10-12-2018, 09:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
You're very welcome. I like helping others if I can.




Got it.




No apologies necessary. You put a lot of hard work and research into your system and it's totally understandable that they are a source of pride. I sure don't have the guts to attempt what you did in your build. Hats off to ya!



More compression in streaming sources but still that's strange. Those levels streaming through my TV's apps would deafen me but your space is larger I'm sure. I can't remember hearing of attenuation to this degree before such that not even 0dB is available. I know that Audyssey can make cuts of like 20dB and boosts of 9dB so thats part of it for sure. Just not all of it.




Hehehe. I knew that already. I read your posts about the build. Nice job.



Thanks I appreciate it- Was a fun build. Now with your help i can hopfully address this issue stopping me from fully enjoying them. Thinking selling my 4400H and snagging a Yamaha 3070 for eq ability- Then i can really enjoy these monsters. Odd thing is i dont have a large room, really small actually. Built these becuase we were moving and that didnt happen so crammed them in to the room and still hae to go to -10 to hear stuff streamed from Amazon/Hulu.



Meh one thing at time i guess- SHould give you awesome helper ward on here. Weeds through peopls BS anger and still helps with a smile
Remy.Alexander is offline  
post #8483 of 12286 Old 10-12-2018, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 361
2 channel playback

I'm running a 5.2 system with my x4400, and I just had my first look at the settings for 2-channel playback. My speakers were shown as SMALL (I set them that way after running Audyssey), with the crossover at 80 Hz. The front L and R levels matched what I had set in the Speakers screen (I'd changed them a bit from the Audyssey results). However, my speaker distances were set to 12 feet (they measure about 7 feet, and Audyssey was quite accurate in measuring them.)--I have no idea where that 12-feet number came from. I changed the distances to match what Audyssey had measured.

The only subwoofer setting is YES or NO. There is no way to set the subwoofer "distance" (delay) or level separately for 2-channel playback. So I'm wondering if the x4400 uses the subwoofer distance and level settings obtained by Audyssey, uses some default distance setting that matches that odd 12-foot default, or matches the change to subwoofer trim that I made myself in the regular Speaker Levels screen (like many, I increased the subwoofer trim there by several decibels.

The manual is mute about all of this.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
post #8484 of 12286 Old 10-12-2018, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,963
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by matpal View Post
Hey guys, a question regarding the 6400 vs the 4400..

I intend to run a 7.2.4 Atmos setup and of course the 6400 can do this out of the box. It seems I can also do this with the 4400 simply by adding an external, 2 channel amp as it has the ability to process all 11 channels. If I opted for this option, I'd probably get the external amp on the cheap, under $150 or so, so I'd be look at around $1500 for the 6400 and less than $1000 for the 4400 with extra amp.

My question is there any reason to splurge for the 6400? Of course it has a few more watts per channel, but everything else appears identical with the 4400. I'd really like to get the 6400 to make myself feel like I got the very best that I can currently afford, but having trouble making a decision here. Any input would be great.
The X6400H has more of a mono block style front L&R amp design and gold plated binding posts along with the built in Japan stamp as one of only 2 Denon's still built there. It's about as close as you can get to getting a flagship AV receiver without actually spending the added funds to get one. Having said all that the delta between it and the next model down gets larger this time of year and harder in my opinion to justify spending the difference . By the way a friendly reminder. There's no price talk allowed in amp/receiver owners threads.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #8485 of 12286 Old 10-12-2018, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,963
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy.Alexander View Post
Thanks I appreciate it- Was a fun build. Now with your help i can hopfully address this issue stopping me from fully enjoying them. Thinking selling my 4400H and snagging a Yamaha 3070 for eq ability- Then i can really enjoy these monsters. Odd thing is i dont have a large room, really small actually. Built these becuase we were moving and that didnt happen so crammed them in to the room and still hae to go to -10 to hear stuff streamed from Amazon/Hulu.



Meh one thing at time i guess- SHould give you awesome helper ward on here. Weeds through peopls BS anger and still helps with a smile
It's all good. I was hot under the collar myself with some early issues with my new Sony TV a few months back so I totally understand. I researched both my new Denon and the Yamaha Aventage line for over 2 years and even tried to help out in their respective owners threads to learn more and they are great receivers. Just know that your bass correction using YPAO will be almost non existent and you dont need to take my word for it. Current Yamaha owners are the ones who gave me the feedback. It EQ's down to only 34HZ and the correction filters it does set are only at limited pre set frequencies. Audyssey sets many more filters and EQ's in both the frequency and time domain using FIR filters down to 10HZ using the Audyssey mic. Having said that if you can't get things working to your satisfaction through troubleshooting then a change is in order for sure and a flagship Yamaha Aventage is a good choice for that change.

Lot's of Aventage owners simply add a MiniDSP into the mix for improved low frequency EQ. The manual PEQ at higher frequencies is also at only certain pre set 1/3rd octaves but less impactful as correction at higher frequencies is less important than correction below the rooms transition frequency. Adding the paid 20 dollar Denon MultEQ moble app would also give you a more powerful manual EQ tool with which to limit room correction at higher frequencies, set a house curve if desired and remove the 2KHZ BBC dip from the pre set Reference MultEQ setting. Already removed in the Flat setting used mostly for music. Good luck whichever way you go.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #8486 of 12286 Old 10-12-2018, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
It's all good. I was hot under the collar myself with some early issues with my new Sony TV a few months back so I totally understand. I researched both my new Denon and the Yamaha Aventage line for over 2 years and even tried to help out in their respective owners threads to learn more and they are great receivers. Just know that your bass correction using YPAO will be almost non existent and you dont need to take my word for it. Current Yamaha owners are the ones who gave me the feedback. It EQ's down to only 34HZ and the correction filters it does set are only at limited pre set frequencies. Audyssey sets many more filters and EQ's in both the frequency and time domain using FIR filters down to 10HZ using the Audyssey mic. Having said that if you can't get things working to your satisfaction through troubleshooting then a change is in order for sure and a flagship Yamaha Aventage is a good choice for that change.

Lot's of Aventage owners simply add a MiniDSP into the mix for improved low frequency EQ. The manual PEQ at higher frequencies is also at only certain pre set 1/3rd octaves but less impactful as correction at higher frequencies is less important than correction below the rooms transition frequency. Adding the paid 20 dollar Denon MultEQ moble app would also give you a more powerful manual EQ tool with which to limit room correction at higher frequencies, set a house curve if desired and remove the 2KHZ BBC dip from the pre set Reference MultEQ setting. Already removed in the Flat setting used mostly for music. Good luck whichever way you go.







Nah i'll take your word for it. I just thought it could do more and i hear the LFE down to 15HZ. But if audyssey is doing that good ill stick with it. I had a Marantz SR-7010 and i randomly had this issue but reset it and cleared it up for months, Work schedule is odd but ill try the various settings mentioned. Like i said i did see a improvement after shutting off Dynamic eq- I also shut of Midrange compensation. If headroom is being used i can alway's use my small two channel Orb Audio amp(audio booster) as fronts- Not sure it'll help as ive heard despite setting it to "Pre-Out" it still leaves the amps "engaged" eating juice.


I do have the Audyssey App- and like it for the most part- Bad thing is i bought it for IOS- and my iphone screen is small it makes it hard to adjust anything, and they wont even respond to my emails about using it with Android without have pay another $20. Ill do some google-foo and learn about "House" curves. I do know my room is garbage and audyssey is making it a more flat response. the before and after are night and day
Remy.Alexander is offline  
post #8487 of 12286 Old 10-12-2018, 06:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 6
on the x4400h does anyone know why my sub wont work in stereo? i have the sub on in 2ch playback and fronts set to small but still the sub doesnt work in stereo am i missing something?
aw73 is offline  
post #8488 of 12286 Old 10-12-2018, 06:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw73 View Post
on the x4400h does anyone know why my sub wont work in stereo? i have the sub on in 2ch playback and fronts set to small but still the sub doesnt work in stereo am i missing something?

i figured it out. you still have to go into audio settings and turn on the subwoofer even though 2ch playback settings say yes for subwoofer.
aw73 is offline  
post #8489 of 12286 Old 10-12-2018, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,963
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy.Alexander View Post
Nah i'll take your word for it. I just thought it could do more and i hear the LFE down to 15HZ. But if audyssey is doing that good ill stick with it. I had a Marantz SR-7010 and i randomly had this issue but reset it and cleared it up for months, Work schedule is odd but ill try the various settings mentioned. Like i said i did see a improvement after shutting off Dynamic eq- I also shut of Midrange compensation. If headroom is being used i can alway's use my small two channel Orb Audio amp(audio booster) as fronts- Not sure it'll help as ive heard despite setting it to "Pre-Out" it still leaves the amps "engaged" eating juice.


I do have the Audyssey App- and like it for the most part- Bad thing is i bought it for IOS- and my iphone screen is small it makes it hard to adjust anything, and they wont even respond to my emails about using it with Android without have pay another $20. Ill do some google-foo and learn about "House" curves. I do know my room is garbage and audyssey is making it a more flat response. the before and after are night and day
You're one up on me then already having the mobile app ( I procrastinate really bad as a a rule and the older I'm getting the worse the procrastinating gets.) Audyssey did wonders for me so I've been content to wait on the app and that sucks that the adjustments in app to the FR aren't more fine to help those with smaller screens make more granular adjustments. Didn't know about the Apple store Android Play Store double dip. I'd say just get a used Apple device with a bigger screen just for the app but that ain't happening on the cheap I know having perused Ebay . The outboard amp idea might be a good one even though even though you cant disable or reassign the unused internal amps they'll still help with the recievers single power supply working less. My room is like 13X10X8 and sealed. If I had your setup in my space good and bad things would probably both happen at the same time.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #8490 of 12286 Old 10-13-2018, 01:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy.Alexander View Post
Nah i'll take your word for it. I just thought it could do more and i hear the LFE down to 15HZ. But if audyssey is doing that good ill stick with it. I had a Marantz SR-7010 and i randomly had this issue but reset it and cleared it up for months, Work schedule is odd but ill try the various settings mentioned. Like i said i did see a improvement after shutting off Dynamic eq- I also shut of Midrange compensation. If headroom is being used i can alway's use my small two channel Orb Audio amp(audio booster) as fronts- Not sure it'll help as ive heard despite setting it to "Pre-Out" it still leaves the amps "engaged" eating juice.


I do have the Audyssey App- and like it for the most part- Bad thing is i bought it for IOS- and my iphone screen is small it makes it hard to adjust anything, and they wont even respond to my emails about using it with Android without have pay another $20. Ill do some google-foo and learn about "House" curves. I do know my room is garbage and audyssey is making it a more flat response. the before and after are night and day
Hello! Don't know if this has been tried yet, but have you had a look at the Audyssey per channel calibration graphics, looking for high gain added somewhere? Your headroom has to be gone somewhere, hasn't it?
My two cents, btw.
Regards
Alessandro
ahblaza likes this.

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.
vn800art is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , connectivity , Denon , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , Pioneer , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , subwoofer denon test tone , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , zone 2

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off