"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 135950Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 11439 Old 04-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Senior Member
 
smdelaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Greater Boston, MA
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
As chi_guy50 notes, I list the release dates of each model in post 1 of this thread, the "X" series model dates being last year's release dates but likely accurate for 2017 models as well.
My Apologies...I should have gone back to the beginning of the thread and re-read.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
smdelaney is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 11439 Old 04-26-2017, 10:25 AM
Newbie
 
rangel510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like the AVR-S730H is now available
rangel510 is online now  
post #63 of 11439 Old 04-26-2017, 04:56 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
- 4K Signal Format (Standard/Enhanced; Note: Enhanced setting must be used when passing 4K60,4:4:4, 10 bit video)

How is this a new feature? What do 2016 Denons do? Basically what is this new feature getting us that wasn't there already?
yummypuppy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 11439 Old 04-26-2017, 05:55 PM
Newbie
 
Necidemos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just bought a Denon X4400H tonight. I'm so excited when it comes in!
RobKnapp likes this.
Necidemos is offline  
post #65 of 11439 Old 04-27-2017, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,733
Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21850 Post(s)
Liked: 11843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necidemos View Post
I just bought a Denon X4400H tonight. I'm so excited when it comes in!
Oops! Wrong thread. You purchased the X4300H which is discussed in the 2016 Denon AVR Owner's thread ...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...hread-faq.html
Bahn Yuki likes this.
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #66 of 11439 Old 04-27-2017, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,733
Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21850 Post(s)
Liked: 11843
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummypuppy View Post
- 4K Signal Format (Standard/Enhanced; Note: Enhanced setting must be used when passing 4K60,4:4:4, 10 bit video)

How is this a new feature? What do 2016 Denons do? Basically what is this new feature getting us that wasn't there already?
The new setting gives you the option of passing either Standard (4K 60p 4:2:0 8 bit) or Enhanced (4K 60p 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4K 60p 4:2:0 10 bit) whereas in the 2016 models there is no such choice, rather the signal is simply passed through (as is the case with the new S530BT) and in some cases there is an issue passing the Enhanced signal through to the display (eg. due to using older not Premium certified HDMI cables or display capability).
Bahn Yuki likes this.
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #67 of 11439 Old 04-27-2017, 11:25 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The new setting gives you the option of passing either Standard (4K 60p 4:2:0 8 bit) or Enhanced (4K 60p 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4K 60p 4:2:0 10 bit) whereas in the 2016 models there is no such choice, rather the signal is simply passed through (as is the case with the new S530BT) and in some cases there is an issue passing the Enhanced signal through to the display (eg. due to using older not Premium certified HDMI cables or display capability).
Oh so if you have a new topflight TV and good cables, this will have no impact then right? Thanks for the explanation!
yummypuppy is offline  
post #68 of 11439 Old 04-27-2017, 04:42 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
considering upgrading from my old HTIB Yamaha HTR 3063 to the Denon s930H, initially I was considering the s920 but I'm glad I waited. do you know if the s920 will have a firmware upgrade to provide support for dolbyvision? or is this a feature exclusive to the newer line of denon receivers? I have a few Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed speakers (SP-C22, 2X SP-FS52, and 2X SP-BS22) and was wondering which would be best for them? I have a 4k TV and wanted to future proof my Receiver as much as I can.
iCarl is offline  
post #69 of 11439 Old 04-27-2017, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bahn Yuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarl View Post
considering upgrading from my old HTIB Yamaha HTR 3063 to the Denon s930H, initially I was considering the s920 but I'm glad I waited. do you know if the s920 will have a firmware upgrade to provide support for dolbyvision? or is this a feature exclusive to the newer line of denon receivers? I have a few Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed speakers (SP-C22, 2X SP-FS52, and 2X SP-BS22) and was wondering which would be best for them? I have a 4k TV and wanted to future proof my Receiver as much as I can.
I'm getting a s930h just because it can do Dolby Vision. Not many places have it yet so I'm waiting for a good deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JVC RS400, Denon X6300H, Klipsch RP-280F x 2, RP-450C, RB-51 II x 2, RS-42 II x 2, RB-41 II x 2, R-150M in 7.1.4, 150" Silver Ticket
LG 65C7, Denon X4300H, Klipsch RF-26 x 2, RC-52 II, Onkyo speakers in 5.1.4 setup
TCL 55P605, Klipsch 2.1 Certified THX speakers
Sony 34XBR960 x 2
Bahn Yuki is offline  
post #70 of 11439 Old 04-27-2017, 08:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I am in the market for new receiver. I am getting X2300W in Canada for 630+tax = 700CAD (513USD) (usually retails for 900cad+tax). Is the x2300 considerbly better than the S920W? Also should I wait for X2400 series - that might drop the price even more? Can someone advise?
achohan is offline  
post #71 of 11439 Old 04-27-2017, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,733
Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21850 Post(s)
Liked: 11843
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarl View Post
considering upgrading from my old HTIB Yamaha HTR 3063 to the Denon s930H, initially I was considering the s920 but I'm glad I waited. do you know if the s920 will have a firmware upgrade to provide support for dolbyvision? or is this a feature exclusive to the newer line of denon receivers? I have a few Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed speakers (SP-C22, 2X SP-FS52, and 2X SP-BS22) and was wondering which would be best for them? I have a 4k TV and wanted to future proof my Receiver as much as I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn Yuki View Post
I'm getting a s930h just because it can do Dolby Vision. Not many places have it yet so I'm waiting for a good deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Yes. The S920W is getting the Dolby Vision firmware update by either late 2017 or early 2018.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 05-04-2017 at 09:35 AM.
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #72 of 11439 Old 04-27-2017, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,733
Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21850 Post(s)
Liked: 11843
Quote:
Originally Posted by achohan View Post
I am in the market for new receiver. I am getting X2300W in Canada for 630+tax = 700CAD (513USD) (usually retails for 900cad+tax). Is the x2300 considerbly better than the S920W? Also should I wait for X2400 series - that might drop the price even more? Can someone advise?
The specs on the 2017 X2400H have not been released yet although should be sometime next month. They will include the specs listed in post 1 of this thread that are included with the new "S" series models that were just released.

The X2300W has the following upgrades over the S920W: 3 years warranty vice only 2; better version of Audyssey MultEQ XT; Zone 2 pre-outs; RS232; IR In (for IR extender connection)
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #73 of 11439 Old 04-28-2017, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bahn Yuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yes. Both the S920W and S930H should be getting the Dolby Vision firmware update by either late 2017 or early 2018.
S930 doesn't come Dolby compatible from the get go? If that's the case perhaps I should just pick up a cheap 920. I'll look to see if there's any differences

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JVC RS400, Denon X6300H, Klipsch RP-280F x 2, RP-450C, RB-51 II x 2, RS-42 II x 2, RB-41 II x 2, R-150M in 7.1.4, 150" Silver Ticket
LG 65C7, Denon X4300H, Klipsch RF-26 x 2, RC-52 II, Onkyo speakers in 5.1.4 setup
TCL 55P605, Klipsch 2.1 Certified THX speakers
Sony 34XBR960 x 2
Bahn Yuki is offline  
post #74 of 11439 Old 04-28-2017, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,733
Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21850 Post(s)
Liked: 11843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn Yuki View Post
S930 doesn't come Dolby compatible from the get go? If that's the case perhaps I should just pick up a cheap 920. I'll look to see if there's any differences

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
From Denon's website ....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	6420
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	2106633  
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #75 of 11439 Old 04-28-2017, 07:51 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
From Denon's website ....
is the only difference between them that the 930 has Heos then? if that's the case the 920 def seems like a better deal now that the price has come down.
Bahn Yuki likes this.
iCarl is offline  
post #76 of 11439 Old 04-28-2017, 08:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 124
so, i have the x3300. It is the first receiver ive ever bought. Question, is this considered an entry level receiver? And, i have seen different wattages listed all over, from it being 105/channel (best buy) to 180/channel (whathifi). And i also know that the official wattage is not usually the actual wattage....so that being the case, what is the actual wattage these generally put out? And is it different when running 2 channel vs 5? And ..... should i bi-amp my kef q300s or does that really make little noticeable difference? Thanks!
Shawn Barrere is offline  
post #77 of 11439 Old 04-28-2017, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bahn Yuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
From Denon's website ....

Thanks smoothie. I'll be picking up a sw920 today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JVC RS400, Denon X6300H, Klipsch RP-280F x 2, RP-450C, RB-51 II x 2, RS-42 II x 2, RB-41 II x 2, R-150M in 7.1.4, 150" Silver Ticket
LG 65C7, Denon X4300H, Klipsch RF-26 x 2, RC-52 II, Onkyo speakers in 5.1.4 setup
TCL 55P605, Klipsch 2.1 Certified THX speakers
Sony 34XBR960 x 2
Bahn Yuki is offline  
post #78 of 11439 Old 04-28-2017, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,733
Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21850 Post(s)
Liked: 11843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Barrere View Post
so, i have the x3300. It is the first receiver ive ever bought. Question, is this considered an entry level receiver? And, i have seen different wattages listed all over, from it being 105/channel (best buy) to 180/channel (whathifi). And i also know that the official wattage is not usually the actual wattage....so that being the case, what is the actual wattage these generally put out? And is it different when running 2 channel vs 5? And ..... should i bi-amp my kef q300s or does that really make little noticeable difference? Thanks!
Entry level? No, rather the "S" series models are entry level. The X3300W is considered mid-level. The power into 2CH is 105W/CH and into 5CH closer to 80W/CH. Using the "bi-amp" feature of the AVR is not going to make any difference in either additional power or audio quality.

Note however, that this is the 2017 model thread, rather you need to be posting in the 2016 model thread linked below ...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post43790578

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 04-28-2017 at 09:55 AM.
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #79 of 11439 Old 04-28-2017, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,490
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Barrere View Post
so, i have the x3300. It is the first receiver ive ever bought.
Congratulations

Quote:
Question, is this considered an entry level receiver?
I'd say it's an entry level receiver with some mid range features myself. Good choice.

Quote:
And, i have seen different wattages listed all over, from it being 105/channel (best buy) to 180/channel (whathifi). And i also know that the official wattage is not usually the actual wattage....so that being the case, what is the actual wattage these generally put out?
Depends on the resistive load of your speakers, their number and the amount of distortion they produce at higher listening levels. Oops, forgot about the dynamic range of the content you're listening to as well. Bottom line is whatever the actual number is it will be less than the posted numbers by AV receiver manufactures but enough to drive most all efficient speaker's to ear blistering levels with no issues. The caveat would be driving large numbers of highly inefficient 4 ohm speaker's at sustained high listening levels in a larger space seated farther away than normal. 1 watt can get most efficient speakers to provide close to 90dB at 1 meter which is 3.3 feet away. Additionally the other main speaker adds 6dB and then you have the acoustical benefits from the boundary effect helping as well. You should be fine especially if you have added a capable powered subwoofer to the mix and are using good bass mgmt( crossing over at around 80HZ to the sub and setting all speakers to small.)




Quote:
And is it different when running 2 channel vs 5?
Yes. More speakers playing more content require more power. How much depends on their load, levels and overall efficiency plus again the dynamic range of the content being played. Your mains usually carry the most weight as it were.

Quote:
And ..... should i bi-amp my kef q300s or does that really make little noticeable difference? Thanks!
Absolutely not and yes it makes little noticeable difference. By little noticeable I mean 0 😏.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #80 of 11439 Old 04-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Senior Member
 
joys_R_us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Berlin - Germany
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 96
For practical reasons I have to use wireless surround speakers (without third party solutions connecting them). Will it be possible with a X3400 or X4400 to use the Heos speakers driven directly from these AVRs ?
joys_R_us is offline  
post #81 of 11439 Old 04-28-2017, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,733
Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21850 Post(s)
Liked: 11843
Quote:
Originally Posted by joys_R_us View Post
For practical reasons I have to use wireless surround speakers (without third party solutions connecting them). Will it be possible with a X3400 or X4400 to use the Heos speakers driven directly from these AVRs ?
Not presently no, and haven't heard about any future possibility. Currently only the HEOS Soundbar and HEOS AVR can use the HEOS speakers as SL/SR.
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #82 of 11439 Old 04-28-2017, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
 
joys_R_us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Berlin - Germany
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Silly Denon. Letting a business opportunity pass by. The X receivers have an H at their name and can't use the Heos speakers ???

Year by year they try to find new gimmicks hoping the customers would upgrade. And don't see the ready to eat meal in the oven...
noears and Ian Whelan like this.
joys_R_us is offline  
post #83 of 11439 Old 04-28-2017, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,733
Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21850 Post(s)
Liked: 11843
Quote:
Originally Posted by joys_R_us View Post
Silly Denon. Letting a business opportunity pass by. The X receivers have an H at their name and can't use the Heos speakers ???

Year by year they try to find new gimmicks hoping the customers would upgrade. And don't see the ready to eat meal in the oven...
Actually all of the 2017 models (except the S530BT) have the HEOS module built-in which allows streaming PCM 2.0 audio from sources connected to the AVR to HEOS speakers placed around the home.
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #84 of 11439 Old 04-28-2017, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
 
smdelaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Greater Boston, MA
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by joys_R_us View Post
Silly Denon. Letting a business opportunity pass by. The X receivers have an H at their name and can't use the Heos speakers ???

Year by year they try to find new gimmicks hoping the customers would upgrade. And don't see the ready to eat meal in the oven...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Actually all of the 2017 models (except the S530BT) have the HEOS module built-in which allows streaming PCM 2.0 audio from sources connected to the AVR to HEOS speakers placed around the home.
Simply enabling HEOS speakers isn't the same as enabling the use of HEOS speakers for SL/SR (or subwoofer or ever FR/FL). I agree 100% with joys_R_us ....Denon missed the boat on this one. If all HEOS modules allowed for full wireless speaker configuration that would be set new benchmark for the industry.
noears likes this.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
smdelaney is offline  
post #85 of 11439 Old 04-28-2017, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,256
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 167
If denon abandons vtuner on all their 2017 models, ill be leaving camp for good. Not having vtuner is an absolute deal breaker. I cant fathom why cant denon allow the vtuner to live alongside the heos module. Thats the most asinine move on denons part.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
mrtickleuk likes this.
nohcho is offline  
post #86 of 11439 Old 04-28-2017, 11:49 PM
Senior Member
 
joys_R_us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Berlin - Germany
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 96
What does thst mean: (2017 features)

"TV Sound Grouping (allow playback of TV audio to HEOS speakers without delay issue currently experienced) - April 12 firmware update" ???
joys_R_us is offline  
post #87 of 11439 Old 04-29-2017, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82,733
Mentioned: 690 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21850 Post(s)
Liked: 11843
Quote:
Originally Posted by joys_R_us View Post
What does thst mean: (2017 features)

"TV Sound Grouping (allow playback of TV audio to HEOS speakers without delay issue currently experienced) - April 12 firmware update" ???
It means that prior to that update having been released, when streaming PCM 2.0 audio from a source connected to the the AVR (eg. cable/sat box) to the HEOS speakers as well as playing it from the speakers connected to the AVR, there was roughly a 1 second delay. Now there is no delay.
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #88 of 11439 Old 04-29-2017, 01:19 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: San Francisco, USA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dolby Vision?

Thanks for the awesome info on this thread!

Quote:
It is even ready for Dolby Vision and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma; via future firmware update).
I read that as saying the 730h supports Dolby Vision at release, and Hybrid Log Gamma via a future firmware update. Or will it be adding both in the future?

I emailed Denon to ask about Dolby Vision on the 720w via a firmware update, and they only responded that they haven't announced any plans to do so. Where'd you see that it'll be added to the 2016 models?

I'm torn between a 720w or 730h to replace my 6-year-old Onkyo. It needs good quality 7.1 movie sound, HDMI 2 / 4K for Blu Ray Ultra HD and whatever other 4K sources I hook up in the future, and Dolby Vision (since my new TV supports it). And I don't yet have room to install the ceiling speakers for Atmos so just normal 7.1 surround for now.

Though HEOS might be fun for barbecues...
richardcon is offline  
post #89 of 11439 Old 04-29-2017, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 6,385
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4351 Post(s)
Liked: 6595
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
Simply enabling HEOS speakers isn't the same as enabling the use of HEOS speakers for SL/SR (or subwoofer or ever FR/FL). I agree 100% with joys_R_us ....Denon missed the boat on this one. If all HEOS modules allowed for full wireless speaker configuration that would be set new benchmark for the industry.
I thought that's what HEOS was, anyway?
joys_R_us likes this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #90 of 11439 Old 05-01-2017, 12:46 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: San Francisco, USA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Would the extra wattage on the 930h (vs 730h) make any difference when powering a 7.1 speaker setup in a small to average sized room?
richardcon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , connectivity , Denon , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , Pioneer , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , subwoofer denon test tone , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , zone 2

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off