"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 347 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136223Likes

post #10381 of 12282 Old 02-11-2019, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22608 Post(s)
Liked: 12300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Thanks. Any chance you could clarify what this means?

2-6-2019
- While AVR displays Title/Artist/Album by status display, AVR will display "Spotify" after "Volume change, Mute, INFO, Sound Mode change, SLEEP, ZONE2 ON/OFF" operations.

My 3400H shows it is on latest firmware which is displayed as 7400-0362-6481-3094

Using Spotify Connect, my old X2100W would display the Spotify track being played in the front display. The 3400H always just displays "Spotify". Reading the 2-6-2019 it sounds like that has been fixed?? Its not really clear what the change is. Do I have latest FW or has it not made it my way yet? This is not a big deal. Just one of those "little things".
Sorry, but no (as noted at the bottom of post 6).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10382 of 12282 Old 02-12-2019, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello.I have new Sony tv and denon x1400h receiver.I was not turn on my bluray player since i have new tv.I did it today and could not get sound from receiver. Sound is just from front hdmi input.No sound from back hdmi inputs.Video is ok.I found some information to disable hdmi deep color on tv.I did it and sound start to working.But no hd audio.Just dts and dd.With my samsung tv everything was ok.Strange,why to disable hdmi deep color on tv?Tv is just monitor.And how to get hd audio again.Different hdmi cables ,same result.Avr is ok be cause with media player everything is fine.
post #10383 of 12282 Old 02-12-2019, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Denon AVR-X4400H randomly turning off

My Denon AVR-X4400H seems to have started randomly turning off about once every hour or two when watching content. I have CEC enabled on all devices and when it does turn off, the TV and video content device (Apple TV in this case) turn off with it, so it's hard to tell which device initiated the sequence.

This started once I added 4 Atmos speakers and enabled a full 5.1.4 on the unit. When I was running just 5.1 before, I never experienced it.

Has anyone experienced any sort of odd turn off behavior on their 4400H? Diagnosing it is going to be challenging due to how infrequently it occurs. I suppose I could start by turning off CEC on everything and seeing if it ever happens again, though I really like the convenience of just picking up the Apple TV remote, hitting a button, and everything turns on and is ready to go, so I would love a solution that keeps that enabled.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10384 of 12282 Old 02-12-2019, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEE View Post
My Denon AVR-X4400H seems to have started randomly turning off about once every hour or two when watching content. I have CEC enabled on all devices and when it does turn off, the TV and video content device (Apple TV in this case) turn off with it, so it's hard to tell which device initiated the sequence.

This started once I added 4 Atmos speakers and enabled a full 5.1.4 on the unit. When I was running just 5.1 before, I never experienced it.

Has anyone experienced any sort of odd turn off behavior on their 4400H? Diagnosing it is going to be challenging due to how infrequently it occurs. I suppose I could start by turning off CEC on everything and seeing if it ever happens again, though I really like the convenience of just picking up the Apple TV remote, hitting a button, and everything turns on and is ready to go, so I would love a solution that keeps that enabled.

Thanks in advance!
Is it plugged into a surge protector? If yes, try connecting directly to the outlet as a test.
post #10385 of 12282 Old 02-12-2019, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandasva View Post
Hello.I have new Sony tv and denon x1400h receiver.I was not turn on my bluray player since i have new tv.I did it today and could not get sound from receiver. Sound is just from front hdmi input.No sound from back hdmi inputs.Video is ok.I found some information to disable hdmi deep color on tv.I did it and sound start to working.But no hd audio.Just dts and dd.With my samsung tv everything was ok.Strange,why to disable hdmi deep color on tv?Tv is just monitor.And how to get hd audio again.Different hdmi cables ,same result.Avr is ok be cause with media player everything is fine.
Try powering on the TV first, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, and lastly the Blu Ray player.
post #10386 of 12282 Old 02-12-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Is it plugged into a surge protector? If yes, try connecting directly to the outlet as a test.
It is. Is there a known issue with that? The surge protector isn't tripping, and I simply have to hit a button on the Apple TV remote to turn everything back on again when it does shut off.

My other theory is this:

1) I turn on the system, and the Denon automatically turns on all the CEC-enabled devices hooked up to it.

2) I watch content on one video device (such as a TiVo). Meanwhile another CEC video device (Apple TV) is sitting unused and counting down towards automatically going to sleep.

3) That other CEC device (Apple TV) eventually goes to sleep after say 20 minutes of no activity after the Denon originally turned it on, and it issues a turn-off command to the Denon when it goes to sleep.

If that is what is happening, will a turn-off command from a source not currently selected as the active HDMI input actually make the Denon go to sleep? If so, that seems like a bug... if I'm watching something on HDMI 1 and a device on HDMI 2 tells the Denon to go to sleep, it should ignore that (I would expect)...
post #10387 of 12282 Old 02-12-2019, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It is. Is there a known issue with that? The surge protector isn't tripping, and I simply have to hit a button on the Apple TV remote to turn everything back on again when it does shut off.

My other theory is this:

1) I turn on the system, and the Denon automatically turns on all the CEC-enabled devices hooked up to it.

2) I watch content on one video device (such as a TiVo). Meanwhile another CEC video device (Apple TV) is sitting unused and counting down towards automatically going to sleep.

3) That other CEC device (Apple TV) eventually goes to sleep after say 20 minutes of no activity after the Denon originally turned it on, and it issues a turn-off command to the Denon when it goes to sleep.

If that is what is happening, will a turn-off command from a source not currently selected as the active HDMI input actually make the Denon go to sleep? If so, that seems like a bug... if I'm watching something on HDMI 1 and a device on HDMI 2 tells the Denon to go to sleep, it should ignore that (I would expect)...
A defective outlet on the surge protector is a possibility. Also try simply powering off (or better yet disconnecting) the ATV as a test as well.
post #10388 of 12282 Old 02-12-2019, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Denon x4400 connection flickering- possible hdmi issue?

Hi there. I had a denon 2311 a few years back that suffered from hdmi board issues.

I now have a denon x4400 that I noticed will start “flickering” for a second and the sound will cut out for a very brief moment. I did notice that when this happens, the channel indicators on the front face of the unit also disappear.

On other hdmi inputs it doesn’t do that (such as my Roku).

Any tips on trying to diagnose this problem? I can only think to swap to a different hdmi and see if it still happens. The unit is about a year old and is still under warrantee.
post #10389 of 12282 Old 02-12-2019, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
DD+ over ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_N85 View Post
Anyone got info about the latest firmware update? I haven't updated yet, since the last one screwed up my ARC audio. Has it resolved the audio cutting issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldelo View Post
It has for me so far.
Thank you #michaeldelo for posting your success. I gave it a shot, knowing I could go back, but so far it seems I don't need to. Because IT WORKED! No more DD+ audio cutouts via ARC. #Zach_N85 , I think it's worth the gamble. Let us know how it turns out.
post #10390 of 12282 Old 02-12-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I had the same issue for nearly a year, with a new monoprice hdmi 10ft cable from my 4100 when new, to my plasma.

It started out randomly on all my devices, when it got more frequent. I replaced the monoprice, with a cheap 10ft hdmi cable my cable box came with. I havent had a issue since in 3 years.

My guess is a bad hdmi cable, from your 4400 to your display. Try replacing that first.

(R&L: Infinity Beta 50) (Center: Infinity Beta C360) (Surround Side & Back: Infinity IW ERS 210 x 4) (TM: Infinity IC ERS 110 x 2) (Sub: Def Tech SC1)
(7.2.2 Config.) (AVR: Denon-4500) (Audiosource Amp 110 for TM's) (BRP: Pioneer 80FD) (Nvidia Shield TV) (Display: LG-65C9)
post #10391 of 12282 Old 02-12-2019, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

My other theory is this:

I had many different manifestations of CEC issues with my ATV4k. It would put things to sleep and randomly change inputs on my 6400. I bought an adapter that disconnects the CEC path from the ATV4k to the Denon, and it eliminated all of my problems.
https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Ad.../dp/B00DL48KVI
I use a Harmony remote and got that programmed to get everything turned on, inputs set etc. That with shutting the ATV4k completely out of CEC fixed my problems.

There has been lots of discussion on the ATV4K thread about what it to blame, the other components or the ATV4k. Bottom line is that the ATV4k sends out what I consider to be spurious commands on CEC. It does this even with CEC disabled in its menus and even when it is asleep!
A quick search online will show that many people with many different hardware configurations have experienced CEC problems when the Apple device is in their systems.
post #10392 of 12282 Old 02-12-2019, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
I had many different manifestations of CEC issues with my ATV4k. It would put things to sleep and randomly change inputs on my 6400. I bought an adapter that disconnects the CEC path from the ATV4k to the Denon, and it eliminated all of my problems.
I use a Harmony remote and got that programmed to get everything turned on, inputs set etc. That with shutting the ATV4k completely out of CEC fixed my problems.

There has been lots of discussion on the ATV4K thread about what it to blame, the other components or the ATV4k. Bottom line is that the ATV4k sends out what I consider to be spurious commands on CEC. It does this even with CEC disabled in its menus and even when it is asleep!
A quick search online will show that many people with many different hardware configurations have experienced CEC problems when the Apple device is in their systems.
Thanks for the tip. I've added it to posts 3 and 4 to help others as well.
post #10393 of 12282 Old 02-13-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post

Thank you for the reply! Sounds very similar to my issue. A CEC datalogger thet could go in-like to debug things like this could be very helpful...
post #10394 of 12282 Old 02-13-2019, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Denon AVR-X6400H No Audio

Hello,

Hoping you guys can help me with this. I am having an issue with the audio on the Denon AVR-X6400H. I am getting video through HDMI, with no problems. However, there is no audio coming out of any speakers. I was thinking maybe it was an amp problem, but even using the preouts and using an external amplifier, I am not getting any sound either. I have tried the tuner and even just running Audyssey, but I am not getting any sound on those inputs either. I have done the factory reset and even just updated the software last night. Any ideas on what the issue could be? I also tried blowing into the headphone jack.

Thanks in advance
post #10395 of 12282 Old 02-13-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by log5 View Post
However, there is no audio coming out of any speakers.
As a first step to facilitate troubleshooting, please identify the program sources involved and the input connectors on the AVR to which they are connected.

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
post #10396 of 12282 Old 02-13-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
As a first step to facilitate troubleshooting, please identify the program sources involved and the input connectors on the AVR to which they are connected.
I am using a cable box, Apple TV, PS4 and 4K player. All via HDMI into the back of the receiver. And then an HDMI out to the ARC input on my tv. All show video, no have audio.
post #10397 of 12282 Old 02-13-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Hello,

Hoping you guys can help me with this. I am having an issue with the audio on the Denon AVR-X6400H. I am getting video through HDMI, with no problems. However, there is no audio coming out of any speakers. I was thinking maybe it was an amp problem, but even using the preouts and using an external amplifier, I am not getting any sound either. I have tried the tuner and even just running Audyssey, but I am not getting any sound on those inputs either. I have done the factory reset and even just updated the software last night. Any ideas on what the issue could be? I also tried blowing into the headphone jack.

Thanks in advance
Maybe you need to blow harder into the headphone jack...LOL
ahblaza likes this.

Mark
post #10398 of 12282 Old 02-13-2019, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Another amateur question...

Running a 5.1.2 system and a Denon x3400h. It sounds AMAZING. The only issue I've run into is that sometimes my sub doesn't come on until something with substantial base happens. I've run audyssey so I haven't touched any cross-over values, etc.

Since my towers are set to small, the period of time until the sub turns on is incredibly weightless.

Any thoughts?
post #10399 of 12282 Old 02-13-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Maybe you need to blow harder into the headphone jack...LOL
I laughed at first too. But supposedly, its a real thing lol

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...-sound-328661/
post #10400 of 12282 Old 02-13-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:

That is the craziest thing I have ever heard of. Honestly even though it is apparently true it still makes me LOL!

In settings, under HDMI Setup, do you have the correct thing selected - AVR or TV depending on where you want to have the audio routed? If your speakers are connected to the AVR it needs to be set to AVR. If the sound is coming from the tv via ARC make sure you have ARC set to on in settings as well. In that case your tv settings need to be setup correctly as well and you need to be using the ARC capable HDMI connection on the tv (it is usually just 1 of them).
ahblaza likes this.

Mark
post #10401 of 12282 Old 02-13-2019, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumrush2049 View Post

Running a 5.1.2 system and a Denon x3400h. It sounds AMAZING. The only issue I've run into is that sometimes my sub doesn't come on until something with substantial base happens. I've run audyssey so I haven't touched any cross-over values, etc.

Since my towers are set to small, the period of time until the sub turns on is incredibly weightless.

Any thoughts?

First thought that jumps to my mind would be you're sending a source signal with not enough bass occuring to kick on the "auto-on" switch setting of your subwoofer. If your sub was set to "auto-on" when you ran audyssey, it may not have actually engaged your sub early enough in the audyssey sub test.

Check out the below excerpt from the Audyssey 101 FAQ:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...rt-ii.html#b10

Ideally, your sub should be in the trim range of approximately -3.5dB to +3.5dB. If your sub is not in this range then you can adjust it by using the sub volume control knob and running Audyssey again until you get the trim where you want it.

Also, one of the reasons for having Audyssey's subwoofer trim level in the +/- 3.5dB range is that values closer to -12 dB might prevent a subwoofer's Auto-On feature from working because the output of the receiver would be too low. (We recommend that if your sub has an 'Auto-on' setting on its power control, to turn this OFF before running MultEQ. This will ensure the sub always 'wakes up' when it is first pinged.)

Last edited by RiGoR; 02-13-2019 at 05:29 PM.
post #10402 of 12282 Old 02-13-2019, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

I had, well really still have, a 4520 that would lose audio. I took it to an authorized Denon service center. They could not duplicated the problem. The tech told me that he had used a 1/4" plug with contact cleaner on it and plugged and unplugged it several times. His claim was that the contacts that cut audio tp the speakers when headphones are plugged in could get dirty and cause the receiver not to pass audio to the speakers. It makes sense, but turned out to have nothing to do with my problem. The real problem was internal connections.
Anyway, this is easy enough to do and probably can't hurt anything... just don't overdo the contact cleaner.
log5 likes this.
post #10403 of 12282 Old 02-13-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
That is the craziest thing I have ever heard of. Honestly even though it is apparently true it still makes me LOL!

In settings, under HDMI Setup, do you have the correct thing selected - AVR or TV depending on where you want to have the audio routed? If your speakers are connected to the AVR it needs to be set to AVR. If the sound is coming from the tv via ARC make sure you have ARC set to on in settings as well. In that case your tv settings need to be setup correctly as well and you need to be using the ARC capable HDMI connection on the tv (it is usually just 1 of them).
So I went through and changed the setting from "AVR" to "TV" and the sound starting playing immediately through the TV without issue.

I went to switch it back to "AVR" and am still not getting any sound out of my speakers. Again, just to reiterate, I am not getting any sound using any mode (Tuner, Bluetooth etc) and am not getting any sound using an external amplifier either.
post #10404 of 12282 Old 02-13-2019, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance
Is your tv turned on when you have no audio?
i have a 2400, had repeated issues with no sound when i came down in the morning and turned on the radio. had to turn on the tv to get sound. turns out that if i power down the tv first and then the receiver no sound the next time i turn it on. had to teach myself to power off the receiver first, then tv in order for the sound to work the next morning. a very strange change as neither of my other denons ever did this.

Last edited by pgscubadiver; 02-13-2019 at 06:54 PM.
post #10405 of 12282 Old 02-13-2019, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Good deal.
Just wanted to provide a quick update. I have a temporary setup running, but never got the new M&K SUR-55T speakers to use for my surrounds and rear surrounds. (Had to cancel the order after getting the runaround for three weeks about why they weren't shipping.)

I'm still looking at options for those speakers, but am now planning to add two more ceiling speakers, for a 7.2.4 configuration.

I realize this requires another amplifier to drive all the speakers, and I'm contemplating the following to avoid buying another piece of equipment. I already have my old Onkyo TX-SR875 set up to drive my house speakers, using the Zone 2 pre outs from the X4400h to the DVD input on the Onkyo. I then hooked up the L/R front speakers on the Onkyo to a Niles Speaker Selector, which is connected to three pairs of speakers in the house (not my HT speakers). Everything works fine.

But I think I should be able to use the Onkyo to drive the extra two speakers for my 7.4.4 setup, AND drive the house speakers. If I use pre outs to the Onkyo (maybe the CD input), and connect the two extra speakers as the L/R mains, I should be able to use zone 1 on the Onkyo to drive the two extras I need, and then use zone 2 on the Onkyo to drive the house speakers.

Assuming I am correct, and that this will work, I need to decide whether to use the Onkyo to drive the Height 2 channel, or whether I should use it to drive the L/R front speakers. My inclination is to use the Onkyo (140 watts/channel) to drive the fronts, and let the X4400h drive the other 9. The Onkyo in Pure Direct mode should have plenty of power to drive the fronts, even if I'm using my house speakers as zone 2. The Onkyo will still be using only 4 amps vs. the 9 the x440h will be using for everything else.

Am I missing something obvious, or does it seem like this should work? Thanks again for all the help!
post #10406 of 12282 Old 02-13-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 2517
Spoiler!
Doesn't the Onkyo SR-875 have multi channel analog inputs? Use those as they bypass all the Onkyo's own processing. Sounds good to me.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #10407 of 12282 Old 02-14-2019, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGoR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumrush2049 View Post

Any thoughts?

First thought that jumps to my mind would be you're sending a source signal with not enough bass occuring to kick on the "auto-on" switch setting of your subwoofer. If your sub was set to "auto-on" when you ran audyssey, it may not have actually engaged your sub early enough in the audyssey sub test.

Check out the below excerpt from the Audyssey 101 FAQ:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...rt-ii.html#b10

Ideally, your sub should be in the trim range of approximately -3.5dB to +3.5dB. If your sub is not in this range then you can adjust it by using the sub volume control knob and running Audyssey again until you get the trim where you want it.

Also, one of the reasons for having Audyssey's subwoofer trim level in the +/- 3.5dB range is that values closer to -12 dB might prevent a subwoofer's Auto-On feature from working because the output of the receiver would be too low. (We recommend that if your sub has an 'Auto-on' setting on its power control, to turn this OFF before running MultEQ. This will ensure the sub always 'wakes up' when it is first pinged.)
Incredibly helpful...thank you!
post #10408 of 12282 Old 02-14-2019, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Doesn't the Onkyo SR-875 have multi channel analog inputs? Use those as they bypass all the Onkyo's own processing. Sounds good to me.
Thanks. That was my thought as well.
post #10409 of 12282 Old 02-14-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrayl View Post
Thanks. That was my thought as well.
Good deal.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #10410 of 12282 Old 02-14-2019, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I own the AVR-X4400H and I have changed my speaker configuration and am trying to re-run Audyssey setup, however the AVR is not detecting the microphone when connected so I am unable to launch the calibration.

Whenever I launch the Audyssey setup tool, it prompts to insert the mic, which I am doing but the "NEXT" button remains greyed out so I cannot continue.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Last edited by nverhaar; 02-14-2019 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Adding AVR model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , connectivity , Denon , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , Pioneer , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , subwoofer denon test tone , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , zone 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page