"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 377 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136223Likes

post #11281 of 12286 Old 06-03-2019, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. With a 5.1 setup, using "Auto" mode will work with the surround mode used stored based on the input signal.
2. You can press the INFO button on the remote to see the input signal and which speakers are active.
Would Auto sound mode still correctly set everything if I were to add two Atmos speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11282 of 12286 Old 06-03-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
The quick select buttons on the remote are your best bet for specific DEQ RLO settings and loss of video from source devices connected to the TV won't have anything to do with the Denon receiver as there's no video going through the receiver. Might check the HDMI cable connecting the Panny player to the TV. Certified Premium Monoprice cables no shorter than 6 feet are the recommend by most here.
I didn't observe any buttons that corresponded to changing the dynamic volume, guess I will need to look again.
post #11283 of 12286 Old 06-03-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
We haven't heard much regarding eARC from an HD source connected to the TV. Is the TV passing the HD audio (ie. Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA) from BD/4k Ultra discs?
The source I've tested the most is a Panasonic U820 BD player and I've been playing a variety of discs with a variety of soundtracks.

When the LG C9 is configured to send ARC to the Denon then I am getting either DD+ or Atmos depending on which BD track I am selecting.

I have never seen that I am getting any other multi-channel formats but of course would need to test further.

If I switch the LG C9 to "eARC" in the audio settings menu then the audio drops down to 2-channel stereo regardless of what audio track is selected. It will be in "stereo" at that point for all TV connected sources such as my Apple TV 4K or my PS4 Pro.

It's rather frustrating to me that there doesn't appear to be an indicator on the Denon to show if the connection is legacy ARC vs EARC. Perhaps I've missed it but I don't see any way of deducing what it thinks is going on.

The fact that I lose picture/sound at exactly 1 hour makes me somewhat suspicious that there is some problem with an HDMI handshake between the C9 and the BD player. I might have to disable any HDMI control to see if it has any effect on the problem. I haven't seen the problem on other sources but haven't used them much.

I can also try swapping the cable but the consistent 1 hour mark (happened 3 times) leaves me suspicious that some control channel timer is expiring and the LG TV or BD player is puking on the connection.

HDMI CEC sucks which is one reason I wanted a new TV that supported the eARC feature and why I replaced a perfectly serviceable 4 year old Denon with a newer one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11284 of 12286 Old 06-03-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I didn't observe any buttons that corresponded to changing the dynamic volume, guess I will need to look again.
My bad. I misread it as dynamic EQ. Same advice though for dynamic volume. The 4 quick select buttons are for setting several source specific settings like DV,DEQ, speaker levels, overall levels at startup etc... You can rename them as well .

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #11285 of 12286 Old 06-03-2019, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
The source I've tested the most is a Panasonic U820 BD player and I've been playing a variety of discs with a variety of soundtracks.

When the LG C9 is configured to send ARC to the Denon then I am getting either DD+ or Atmos depending on which BD track I am selecting.

I have never seen that I am getting any other multi-channel formats but of course would need to test further.

If I switch the LG C9 to "eARC" in the audio settings menu then the audio drops down to 2-channel stereo regardless of what audio track is selected. It will be in "stereo" at that point for all TV connected sources such as my Apple TV 4K or my PS4 Pro.

It's rather frustrating to me that there doesn't appear to be an indicator on the Denon to show if the connection is legacy ARC vs EARC. Perhaps I've missed it but I don't see any way of deducing what it thinks is going on.

The fact that I lose picture/sound at exactly 1 hour makes me somewhat suspicious that there is some problem with an HDMI handshake between the C9 and the BD player. I might have to disable any HDMI control to see if it has any effect on the problem. I haven't seen the problem on other sources but haven't used them much.

I can also try swapping the cable but the consistent 1 hour mark (happened 3 times) leaves me suspicious that some control channel timer is expiring and the LG TV or BD player is puking on the connection.

HDMI CEC sucks which is one reason I wanted a new TV that supported the eARC feature and why I replaced a perfectly serviceable 4 year old Denon with a newer one.

Why use eARC when you have a perfectly fine receiver that is capable of handling all your sources instead of running it stupidly through the tv.

ARC and eARC will continue to have issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
post #11286 of 12286 Old 06-03-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
Quote:

Why use eARC when you have a perfectly fine receiver that is capable of handling all your sources instead of running it stupidly through the tv.

ARC and eARC will continue to have issues.

Thanks for calling me stupid. There are gaming features that don’t work through the AVR such as VRR (was going to be an Xbox One soon).

Additionally I have always battled issues with lip sync and other video processing artifacts when the AVR is in the video chain.

Thanks though for your “input”.
post #11287 of 12286 Old 06-03-2019, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for calling me stupid. There are gaming features that don’t work through the AVR such as VRR (was going to be an Xbox One soon).

Additionally I have always battled issues with lip sync and other video processing artifacts when the AVR is in the video chain.

Thanks though for your “input”.

I’m not calling you stupid, I’m saying when your receiver is more than capable, it’s silly to have things connected to the tv, then through the receiver.

I’ve had a bunch of Denon receivers and never had video issues or lip sync issues, I tweak as needed (if needed at all)

ppasteur, mjwagner and Madmax67 like this.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
post #11288 of 12286 Old 06-03-2019, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22616 Post(s)
Liked: 12309
Quote:
Originally Posted by teiresias View Post
Would Auto sound mode still correctly set everything if I were to add two Atmos speakers?
Not necessarily which is why I've never used AUTO mode, but rather much prefer selecting the green MOVIE button and then selecting whichever mode I want to use to include which mode to use to simulate 5.1 audio to the additional 2 speakers (Atmos or floor). The mode selected is then remembered the next time that same source audio is received.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-03-2019 at 05:07 PM.
post #11289 of 12286 Old 06-03-2019, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Interesting, which would indicate either the eARC capability on the LG C9 is not activated at this point or it cannot detect the AVR is capable of accepting the HD audio. My guess would be the former, otherwise, if the latter, it would simply revert to the same setting as used for ARC.
post #11290 of 12286 Old 06-03-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting, which would indicate either the eARC capability on the LG C9 is not activated at this point or it cannot detect the AVR is capable of accepting the HD audio. My guess would be the former, otherwise, if the latter, it would simply revert to the same setting as used for ARC. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]
When you go through the LG connection manager it doesn’t seem to think the Denon is EARC capable but the problem could be on either end.
post #11291 of 12286 Old 06-04-2019, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
When you go through the LG connection manager it doesn’t seem to think the Denon is EARC capable but the problem could be on either end.
Unlike regular ARC, eARC requires the use of an HDMI w/Ethernet cable connecting the AVR to the TV.
ahblaza likes this.
post #11292 of 12286 Old 06-04-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Unlike regular ARC, eARC requires the use of an HDMI w/Ethernet cable connecting the AVR to the TV.
Yes, I'm aware of this which is why I specifically purchased brand new 18gbps cables from monoprice that include ethernet channel.

In the event that somehow the Monoprice cables aren't cutting it I bought a different brand of cable yesterday that also includes ethernet channel and swapped it out to no effect.

Now what I found today that is quite interesting is that Denon EU just dropped new FW in that market that is not available in the US market.

The release notes for this new X4400H version specifically mention ARC fixes.

Quote:
last updated:- 06/02/2019

Firmware Vers:5461-5211-8381-3194

06/02/2019

Firmware Vers: :5461-5211-8381-3194 (DZ19-089, , AVR-X4400HBKE2, AVR-X4400HSPE2)

1)While AVR displays Title/Artist/Album by status display, AVR will display
"Spotify" after "Volume change, Mute, INFO, Sound Mode change, SLEEP,
ZONE2 ON/OFF" operations.
2) Improvements to ARC functionality.
3) Update the firmware version to 1.493.180 Music files in USB stick memory
formatted with NTFS cannot be played on HEOS products.
post #11293 of 12286 Old 06-04-2019, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I'm still trying to decide on my AVR upgrade. I'm looking at the x6400h or the x4500h.

I have a 5.1.4 setup. The AVR is only needed for the Center, side surrounds and 4 Atmos speakers. I have a separate tube amp that powers the left/right speakers for music listening and doubles for home theater thru the AVR pre outs.

The question at hand is would it be better to have the X6400h with its monolithic amps or the feature upgrades of the X4500h with less power and non-monolithic amps?

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER
post #11294 of 12286 Old 06-04-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Not necessarily which is why I've never used AUTO mode, but rather much prefer selecting the green MOVIE button and then selecting whichever mode I want to use to include which mode to use to simulate 5.1 audio to the additional 2 speakers (Atmos or floor). The mode selected is then remembered the next time that same source audio is received.
Ah, that makes sense, thanks. I need to go back to the MyHarmony software and see if the Movie button is available as a programmable option.
post #11295 of 12286 Old 06-04-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4641 Post(s)
Liked: 2701
I did a search on here for "eARC, C9" to see if there are any postings but got 0 results. I've also posted on the LG OLED C9 thread and have found a few suggestions but nothing that has worked so far.

Has anyone been able to get eARC working correctly when your 2017 Denon is connected to an LG OLED model C9 (2019) TV? I've have talked to Denon, LG and even an LG C9 forum member spent about an hour with me trying to get my X6400H working with the LG with regards to eARC. ARC works just fine but when I turned eARC to "ON" on the LG then the Denon is reporting only "Stereo" for the audio. If you have been able to get it working, would you post your Denon and LG settings? The only thing I haven't tried up to this point is resetting the Denon back to factory defaults. I have reset the LG to factory defaults but this didn't make any difference.

lujan
562 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #11296 of 12286 Old 06-04-2019, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I did a search on here for "eARC, C9" to see if there are any postings but got 0 results. I've also posted on the LG OLED C9 thread and have found a few suggestions but nothing that has worked so far.

Has anyone been able to get eARC working correctly when your 2017 Denon is connected to an LG OLED model C9 (2019) TV? I've have talked to Denon, LG and even an LG C9 forum member spent about an hour with me trying to get my X6400H working with the LG with regards to eARC. ARC works just fine but when I turned eARC to "ON" on the LG then the Denon is reporting only "Stereo" for the audio. If you have been able to get it working, would you post your Denon and LG settings? The only thing I haven't tried up to this point is resetting the Denon back to factory defaults. I have reset the LG to factory defaults but this didn't make any difference.
Guess you missed the recent posts from jmpage2 a few posts back.
post #11297 of 12286 Old 06-04-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Guess you missed the recent posts from jmpage2 a few posts back.
I guess the search didn't bring results because I don't believe this post talks about "C9". This post is the exact same thing that is happening with my X6400H. There are others in the LG C9 thread that are saying eARC is working just fine on their Denons and that's what is frustrating. Why would it work with some Denon AVRs but not others? Some have suggested a factory reset but I'm not sure that will help. I'm looking for setting changes that may fix it before I resort to the reset.

Are we waiting on the firmware update then?

lujan
562 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD

Last edited by lujan; 06-04-2019 at 12:11 PM.
post #11298 of 12286 Old 06-04-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
I guess the search didn't bring results because I don't believe this post talks about "C9". This post is the exact same thing that is happening with my X6400H. There are others in the LG C9 thread that are saying eARC is working just fine on their Denons and that's what is frustrating. Why would it work with some Denon AVRs but not others? Some have suggested a factory reset but I'm not sure that will help. I'm looking for setting changes that may fix it before I resort to the reset.

eARC has been turned on for some time. Are you using the right cable?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #11299 of 12286 Old 06-04-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
eARC has been turned on for some time. Are you using the right cable?

I know but I just got an eARC capable TV. I'm also using a cable with Ethernet which is what I believe we need.

lujan
562 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #11300 of 12286 Old 06-04-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
I know but I just got an eARC capable TV. I'm also using a cable with Ethernet which is what I believe we need.
Correct

post #11301 of 12286 Old 06-04-2019, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware of this which is why I specifically purchased brand new 18gbps cables from monoprice that include ethernet channel.

In the event that somehow the Monoprice cables aren't cutting it I bought a different brand of cable yesterday that also includes ethernet channel and swapped it out to no effect.

Now what I found today that is quite interesting is that Denon EU just dropped new FW in that market that is not available in the US market.

The release notes for this new X4400H version specifically mention ARC fixes.
You're forgetting the fact that Europeans use the DD-MM-YYYY format. The update you list was released on Feb 6, 2019 not June 2, 2019.

Note also, I list this same firmware update in post 6 of this thread under Feb 6, 2019.
Quicksilv3r and mrtickleuk like this.
post #11302 of 12286 Old 06-04-2019, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

From LG? Yes, as it appears to be an LG issue.
post #11303 of 12286 Old 06-04-2019, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2455 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
Edit

It appears I fixed the problem I was having with the Denon adding a colored Halo around very small HTPC text. However, I had to disable the volume osd mode, now I have no volume level indicator.

Anyone else come across this issue?

I turned the video processing off and set the receiver to game mode. See below for the issue if anyone was curious. I recommend everyone else checking this because it may be hurting your image in subtle ways. It's very hard to notice unless you look at the text on an HTPC in notepad or something and look for color fringing.

-------------

I was having a problem with the Denon avr-x3400h adding a colored halo around my text, and when I removed the receiver and go direct NVIDIA > Projector, the problem disappeared...

See this thread as it contains images of the problem:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...ver-issue.html

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 06-04-2019 at 11:04 PM.
post #11304 of 12286 Old 06-05-2019, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
X3400H taking control

So my X3400H takes control of my set up for the first 5-10 seconds. It usually switches to its own smart menu (where it displays Denon and its current input, plus 4 quick inputs, and a few other icons), but sometimes to a particular input. If I direct the tv (LG OLED B7A) to the input I want, it will briefly go there and then the receiver will take it back to its smart menu or the input. I've taken off one of the CEC controls, but I don't want to fully uncouple the tv & receiver. What I want is for the receiver to turn on when the TV turns on, but to freaking obey me, not to assert its own will! It should just go to TV Audio or the last input it was on, but not wrestle control back from me.
Can anyone help?
post #11305 of 12286 Old 06-05-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by profb888 View Post
So my X3400H takes control of my set up for the first 5-10 seconds. It usually switches to its own smart menu (where it displays Denon and its current input, plus 4 quick inputs, and a few other icons), but sometimes to a particular input. If I direct the tv (LG OLED B7A) to the input I want, it will briefly go there and then the receiver will take it back to its smart menu or the input. I've taken off one of the CEC controls, but I don't want to fully uncouple the tv & receiver. What I want is for the receiver to turn on when the TV turns on, but to freaking obey me, not to assert its own will! It should just go to TV Audio or the last input it was on, but not wrestle control back from me.
Can anyone help?
Yeah, I have the same set and an x6400 and it was a pita. I can't remember what exactly I turned off so it wasn't quite as bad. My main input is a tivo which does not have cec (yet). It likes to jump to the Roku because it thinks there's nothing on Tivo. I'm pretty sure it was on the Denon side and not the tv. I don't use ARC much, but I believe it is still working.
post #11306 of 12286 Old 06-05-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Can anyone help?
This is the Smart Menu function which allows you access to various functions using CEC and your TVs remote. Unfortunately, not all TVs have a good implementation of CEC. As an example, my 2018 Vizo which like all things Vizio, had the barest minimal support of CEC. There was no way to access that menu. My Sony on the other hand which has a good CEC implementation, can access that menu as intended. I dont have an LG, but perusing AVS for many years, LG has a very buggy CEC stack. Its not surprising that you are hitting that menu when you shouldnt be. You can turn that feature off in HDMI settings/Smart Control = off

Smart TV Connectivity
Via the HDMI CEC (consumer electronics control) functionality in your Smart TV, you may be able to control your Denon AVR with the Smart TV's remote control. With “HDMI control” set to ON in your receiver, you can set “Smart Menu” to ON to start controlling your Denon AVR with your Smart TV's remote. The Smart Menu home screen provides you quick access to source and surround mode selections, the AVR’s setup menu, and 4 Quick Selects.
CFC likes this.

Last edited by sjm817; 06-05-2019 at 09:55 AM.
post #11307 of 12286 Old 06-05-2019, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question about my LK970 projector not working through my Denon X4400H. WHen i hook up my cable to HDMI 1 which is the HDCP 2.2 on projector i get no picture but get sound hooked op to the AVR. When i hook up HDMI 2 i get sound and video. When I go straight to the bluray player skipping the AVR from HDMI 1 i get video. So should i try a new receiver? Or is there a setting i can try on the receiver or the projector? I feel like giving up.
post #11308 of 12286 Old 06-06-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
This is the Smart Menu function which allows you access to various functions using CEC and your TVs remote. Unfortunately, not all TVs have a good implementation of CEC. As an example, my 2018 Vizo which like all things Vizio, had the barest minimal support of CEC. There was no way to access that menu. My Sony on the other hand which has a good CEC implementation, can access that menu as intended. I dont have an LG, but perusing AVS for many years, LG has a very buggy CEC stack. Its not surprising that you are hitting that menu when you shouldnt be. You can turn that feature off in HDMI settings/Smart Control = off

Smart TV Connectivity
Via the HDMI CEC (consumer electronics control) functionality in your Smart TV, you may be able to control your Denon AVR with the Smart TV's remote control. With “HDMI control” set to ON in your receiver, you can set “Smart Menu” to ON to start controlling your Denon AVR with your Smart TV's remote. The Smart Menu home screen provides you quick access to source and surround mode selections, the AVR’s setup menu, and 4 Quick Selects.
that looks like it--thanks. If I turn that off, will the receiver still come on when I turn the TV on? that's what I really want to continue
post #11309 of 12286 Old 06-06-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post

Smart TV Connectivity

that looks like it--thanks. If I turn that off, will the receiver still come on when I turn the TV on? that's what I really want to continue.
post #11310 of 12286 Old 06-06-2019, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
that looks like it--thanks. If I turn that off, will the receiver still come on when I turn the TV on? that's what I really want to continue
No it won't. But get a universal remote like a Logitech Harmony remote and it will turn everything on in a sequential order

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Madmax67 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , connectivity , Denon , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , Pioneer , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , subwoofer denon test tone , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , zone 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page