"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 387 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136217Likes

post #11581 of 12268 Old 07-05-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Sony TV, NV Shield, X3400, Samsung BD with CEC all enabled and working flawlessly. TV remote controls everything without a hitch. Never a phantom power on or anything like that. YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11582 of 12268 Old 07-05-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked: 2515
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
I had everything setup the same as my x2400h, which I thought had all Bravia sync settings turned off, but the “BRAVIA Sync control” setting was on but it was grayed out where I couldn’t turn it off, and when selecting it a pop up message would appear saying “Not available while BRAVIA Sync compatible audio system is used.” And under the “BRAVIA Sync device list” it had my Sony x700 UHD player and Denon X4400H listed.

So I had turn on the TV without the Denon turned on, THEN I could turn off the “BRAVIA Sync control” OFF and it removed the x700 and x4400H. So no more Sony TV HDMI control with the receiver, and hopefully this solved the issue.

Weird it didn’t cause issues with the prior x2400h.

Thanks
Yeah, you've got to wipe those found devices before you can turn Bravia Sync off. I have a Sony X930E. Glad that was an easy fix.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #11583 of 12268 Old 07-05-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Sony TV, NV Shield, X3400, Samsung BD with CEC all enabled and working flawlessly. TV remote controls everything without a hitch. Never a phantom power on or anything like that. YMMV.
Sony TV, X4300H, OPO 203. Nothing but nightmares with CEC/BS enabled. MMDV. For those with no issues there's no need for fixes. For those with issues there's universal remotes and or smart power switches. Sony did specifically try to correct this particular receiver power on issue through a firmware fix.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11584 of 12268 Old 07-05-2019, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Yeah, you've got to wipe those found devices before you can turn Bravia Sync off. I have a Sony X930E. Glad that was an easy fix.
But with Bravia Sync off ARC no longer sends audio back to the Tv Audio input on the X4400H. I don’t use the internal TV apps very often, but do occasionally, so now I need to run an optical cable to get TV audio back to the receiver. Is this the only option?
post #11585 of 12268 Old 07-05-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
But with Bravia Sync off ARC no longer sends audio back to the Tv Audio input on the X4400H. I don’t use the internal TV apps very often, but do occasionally, so now I need to run an optical cable to get TV audio back to the receiver. Is this the only option?
Correct and yes. Check that your particular Sony model is on the most up to date firmware as well. Sony pushed a specific fix for powering on receivers but it broke something else ARC related then they pushed another update supposedly fixing that! I just run an optical cable because it's not worth the drama for my small use of the TV's apps.
jdsnov73 likes this.

post #11586 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have the 6400.

Wondering if any of you are running an Atmos setup with front height speakers on wall and back Dolby Atmos upfiring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11587 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22568 Post(s)
Liked: 12282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericuf View Post
I have the 6400.

Wondering if any of you are running an Atmos setup with front height speakers on wall and back Dolby Atmos upfiring?

Nope, but what's the next question?
post #11588 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Nope, but what's the next question?

I’m wondering if that’s an “ok” thing to do.

Also wondering this about audyssey -
I ran it. It picked levels for speakers and everything, but when I clicked options and then channel level adjust, everything showed the same level...?

post #11589 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 12:55 PM

IOW - this is why audyssey shows

And this is what the options/channel level shows

post #11590 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 01:07 PM

One other question regarding audyssey and subwoofer.

It told me
My subwoofer was too loud (it was turned to 12:00) and to lower the volume until the microphone registered 75db. I did that but the sub seems INCREDIBLY quiet, and it’s at around 3:00 now .... any thoughts?

post #11591 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Also wondering this about audyssey -
I ran it. It picked levels for speakers and everything, but when I clicked options and then channel level adjust, everything showed the same level...?

Quote:
IOW - this is why audyssey shows

And this is what the options/channel level shows

Believe it or not, this is actually normal...

the "channel level adjust" is just offsets you wish to implement for your own personal preference on specific channels/speakers...
Also, as I understand it, the "channel level adjust" also is input specific; i.e. if you wish for the R/C/L to be +3db's for cable but +6db's for your bluray player, this will accommodate for that....

I mean, it always seemed redundant to me that one could always manually change the Audyssey settings (found in Settings, Speakers, Manual setup), but, if you wish to keep and implement the automatic Audyssey settings, as long as it is not all the same level in "Levels" as you've shown in your picture, it should be fine there and you can manually "tweak" it via manual settings and/or the "channel level adjust"...

hope this helps...

My HT Setup 5.2.2---TV:Samsung Q6F(QN82Q6FNAFXZA); Receiver:Denon AVR-X3400H;Sub:HSU Research VTF-2 MK5;Speakers:ELAC F6.2(x2 -> Front R/L), ELAC C6.2(Center), ELAC B6.2(x2 -> Surround R/L), Onkyo SKB-750X(x2 -> Atmos "height" R/L);Sub #2:Onkyo SKW-750X;Connected Devices:Xfinity X1 HD DVR (TV shows), Sony PS4 Pro (UHD videos, gaming), Magnavox MBP6700(UHD HDR movies), Sony PS3 (UPnP media player), Nintendo Switch (gaming)
post #11592 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:

It told me
My subwoofer was too loud (it was turned to 12:00) and to lower the volume until the microphone registered 75db. I did that but the sub seems INCREDIBLY quiet, and it’s at around 3:00 now .... any thoughts?

Yeah...I found this also peculiar...I figure there's two thoughts...

One, you/we may be too used to generic "boomy" subs while high(er) end subs are actually "tighter" and more precise... (I know I came from a $200-ish generic sub to the near $700-ish audiophile-ish quality HSU VTF-2 mk5)
Or two, it can simply come down to personal preference and while Audyssey and its mic may be over-sensitive, doesn't necessarily mean it has to be that low where it's in that "green zone" at around 75db. But I would invite you to check out Post #3 , Section 10d, where it talks about, "...at least 2-3 weeks to adjust to the 'reference' setting the mixer intended rather than the boomy bass many are used to hearing from older model receivers. If after that time, you still feel you want the sub volume louder, then bump it up a few db using the AVR menu to suit your 'preference.'" -- which basically aligns with what I was saying as my first/"one" thought earlier....

Again, hope this is helpful...
ericuf and Madmax67 like this.

My HT Setup 5.2.2---TV:Samsung Q6F(QN82Q6FNAFXZA); Receiver:Denon AVR-X3400H;Sub:HSU Research VTF-2 MK5;Speakers:ELAC F6.2(x2 -> Front R/L), ELAC C6.2(Center), ELAC B6.2(x2 -> Surround R/L), Onkyo SKB-750X(x2 -> Atmos "height" R/L);Sub #2:Onkyo SKW-750X;Connected Devices:Xfinity X1 HD DVR (TV shows), Sony PS4 Pro (UHD videos, gaming), Magnavox MBP6700(UHD HDR movies), Sony PS3 (UPnP media player), Nintendo Switch (gaming)
post #11593 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepinoi177 View Post
Believe it or not, this is actually normal...

the "channel level adjust" is just offsets you wish to implement for your own personal preference on specific channels/speakers...

Also, as I understand it, the "channel level adjust" also is input specific; i.e. if you wish for the R/C/L to be +3db's for cable but +6db's for your bluray player, this will accommodate for that....

I mean, it always seemed redundant to me that one could always manually change the Audyssey settings (found in Settings, Speakers, Manual setup), but, if you wish to keep and implement the automatic Audyssey settings, as long as it is not all the same level in "Levels" as you've shown in your picture, it should be fine there and you can manually "tweak" it via manual settings and/or the "channel level adjust"...

hope this helps...

Thank you! The one question I still have though is how do I know which levels I’m getting - the audyssey or the ones in options/channel levels? Bc even if I don’t touch the ones in options. It shows as all 0. Or is that in RELATION to the audyssey levels? If it’s in relation then it makes sense ...

Last thing - I posted above about the incredibly low subwoofer volume, trying to get that sorted as well. Thank you!!!

post #11594 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Thank you! The one question I still have though is how do I know which levels I’m getting - the audyssey or the ones in options/channel levels? Bc even if I don’t touch the ones in options. It shows as all 0. Or is that in RELATION to the audyssey levels? If it’s in relation then it makes sense ...

Last thing - I posted above about the incredibly low subwoofer volume, trying to get that sorted as well. Thank you!!!

I believe it's as you are saying...it is "...in RELATION to the audyssey levels"...

which is why I said it kinda confused me and I feel is rather redundant...that you can change manually the Audyssey figures and/or change the "channel level adjust", albeit the latter is input linked....
ericuf likes this.

post #11595 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepinoi177 View Post
Yeah...I found this also peculiar...I figure there's two thoughts...

One, you/we may be too used to generic "boomy" subs while high(er) end subs are actually "tighter" and more precise... (I know I came from a $200-ish generic sub to the near $700-ish audiophile-ish quality HSU VTF-2 mk5)

Or two, it can simply come down to personal preference and while Audyssey and its mic may be over-sensitive, doesn't necessarily mean it has to be that low where it's in that "green zone" at around 75db. But I would invite you to check out Post #3 , Section 10d, where it talks about, "...at least 2-3 weeks to adjust to the 'reference' setting the mixer intended rather than the boomy bass many are used to hearing from older model receivers. If after that time, you still feel you want the sub volume louder, then bump it up a few db using the AVR menu to suit your 'preference.'" -- which basically aligns with what I was saying as my first/"one" thought earlier....

Again, hope this is helpful...

Very helpful. I actually have a monolith 15 on its way to me, which I couldn’t be more excited about. So general consensus is to change sub volume through AVR and not on sub?

post #11596 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Very helpful. I actually have a monolith 15 on its way to me, which I couldn’t be more excited about. So general consensus is to change sub volume through AVR and not on sub?
I can't speak for everyone else (general consensus), but I personally just blew waaayyy past the 75db "green zone" and kept my subs at 11:30-ish dial position, even if Audyssey didn't quite like it. Since then, I've found that I tweaked more on my dial when I wanted to establish more of a baseline, but modified "through the AVR" (having dual-sub "volume control" and MultEQ XT32 capability, might as well take advantage...) when calibrating for a specific input (one for my cable box, one for my ps3/media server, and one for my UHD bluray player; i.e. when I am implementing the "Audyssey LFC" and "Containment", I have my subs set at -2.5 and 0, where if I'm only slightly using the LFC "Containment", I have it set at -5.5 & -2.5 respectively, and when I want the full Atmos/Neuro:X experience and turn the Audyssey LFC completely off, I have it set at -9.5 & -3.5.

That's my own personal set up and experience/"consensus"...

post #11597 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Problem with multi channel stereo

Hi All,
I have a denon 6400h. I bought this about 1.5 years ago and have always had a problem using this with my jvc projector. When I turn everything on to cable/sat the sound and picture come on but after some period of time (usually 30 to 60 seconds) the picture and sound go out and then the sound comes back and it takes some time for the projector to come back on. This continues to happen intermittently. If I switch to blue ray player and wait for the projector to show an image and then switch to cable/sat it will play without any interruptions. I assumed this was an hdmi issue with the cable box (verizon xfinity) and was willing to live with this. Everything else worked fine.

Recently when I try to play all zone stereo the sound only comes out of the front 2 speakers (I have a 7.4.2 system). In the past I had no problem and sound came from all speakers in all zone stereo. I did a microprocessor reset and then restored my settings via usb and the all zone stereo worked again. After about a week the all zone stereo stopped working. I did another microprocessor reset and now the all zone stereo will not come back.

Anyone have any thoughts. I am quite frustrated as I have had 4 Denon AVR's over the years and it seems that something always ends up malfunctioning.

Thanks for any help

JB
post #11598 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's relative.

Quote:
What you're hearing is the flattened frequency response in the bass region from Audyssey XT32's filtering. Best to just go to the manual speaker settings and bump the sub levels up several dB to your liking. Dynamic EQ(RLO 0dB for movies)can help as well at lower than Reference listening levels.

post #11599 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Hey guys this might be a software question. But I was curious how people are playing multi channel Flac? I know I did it in the past.

I have jriver outputting untouched Audio. I understand Denon doesn't support 5.1 Flac bit streamed. I am not sure how to tell jriver to only decide multi channel Flac.

Curious to hear what you folks are doing with these sort of files.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #11600 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 575
In the Denon X4400H, the Quick Selects will save using whatever source you select. Is there a way to pull up the Quick Selects while remaining in the same current source? ie..If I am listening to HD Radio and change to QS#2, keep it at HD Radio and only change the sound settings? Or is it a"batch" like the manual says.
post #11601 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb481 View Post
Hi All,
I have a denon 6400h. I bought this about 1.5 years ago and have always had a problem using this with my jvc projector. When I turn everything on to cable/sat the sound and picture come on but after some period of time (usually 30 to 60 seconds) the picture and sound go out and then the sound comes back and it takes some time for the projector to come back on. This continues to happen intermittently. If I switch to blue ray player and wait for the projector to show an image and then switch to cable/sat it will play without any interruptions. I assumed this was an hdmi issue with the cable box (verizon xfinity) and was willing to live with this. Everything else worked fine.

Recently when I try to play all zone stereo the sound only comes out of the front 2 speakers (I have a 7.4.2 system). In the past I had no problem and sound came from all speakers in all zone stereo. I did a microprocessor reset and then restored my settings via usb and the all zone stereo worked again. After about a week the all zone stereo stopped working. I did another microprocessor reset and now the all zone stereo will not come back.

Anyone have any thoughts. I am quite frustrated as I have had 4 Denon AVR's over the years and it seems that something always ends up malfunctioning.

Thanks for any help

JB
Just as the name implies, ALL ZONE STEREO reduces all zones to STEREO (ie. Front L/R only in the main zone). You are likely confusing this setting with MULTI CH STEREO which only applies to the main zone and sends the same stereo signal to all the speaker pairs.
post #11602 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
In the Denon X4400H, the Quick Selects will save using whatever source you select. Is there a way to pull up the Quick Selects while remaining in the same current source? ie..If I am listening to HD Radio and change to QS#2, keep it at HD Radio and only change the sound settings? Or is it a"batch" like the manual says.
Yup. Simply store the same source for each Quick Select with the different sound settings for each.

Also note, the 2016 and newer models no longer feature HD Radio.
MRAYB likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 07-06-2019 at 05:14 PM.
post #11603 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's certainly not ideal, but if logistics require it, only you can decide if doing so adds to your listening experience.

Quote:

It told me

You would be well served to review the Audyssey FAQ ---> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...d-part-ii.html
post #11604 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Nope. Also note, the 2016 and newer models no longer feature HD Radio.

Yes, was just using HD Radio as an example. I must be getting spoiled.
post #11605 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
Yes, was just using HD Radio as an example. I must be getting spoiled.
Edited my previous post.
post #11606 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 06:09 PM

These Audyssey settings don’t seem right - my MLP is exactly between front left and front right, for example. And why set those fronts to -7, is that right?! I’m still learning about Audyssey so any feedback is helpful!

post #11607 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Hey guys this might be a software question. But I was curious how people are playing multi channel Flac? I know I did it in the past.

I have jriver outputting untouched Audio. I understand Denon doesn't support 5.1 Flac bit streamed. I am not sure how to tell jriver to only decide multi channel Flac.

Curious to hear what you folks are doing with these sort of files.

Got it sorted.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #11608 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
These Audyssey settings don’t seem right - my MLP is exactly between front left and front right, for example. And why set those fronts to -7, is that right?! I’m still learning about Audyssey so any feedback is helpful!

You were already provided a link to an extremely helpful guide for you to read a few posts up....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...d-part-ii.html
Quicksilv3r likes this.
post #11609 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 08:36 PM

I looked through it, and it’s possible I missed but I didn’t see anything about front l and r speakers being set so low.

post #11610 of 12268 Old 07-06-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
I looked through it, and it’s possible I missed but I didn’t see anything about front l and r speakers being set so low.

Try another calibration? Only move the mic a foot for each position

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , connectivity , Denon , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , Pioneer , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , subwoofer denon test tone , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , zone 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page