"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 391 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136166Likes

post #11701 of 12113 Old 07-23-2019, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 12
so dave at ascend acoustics said i should not use audyssey for my ascends on my system and talked abotu the curve... we went back and forth with like 16 emails cause i feel like im not blown away as ishould be by my 340 se LCR.. and hsu sub sounds great.. just feel like deatils are missing etc etc... well i just got some 170 se off ebay and plugged them in my friends 55 watt tuner in the shop downstairs at his house where i stay when im working weekends and those 170 se blew me away with detail and clarity and accuracy.... i boosted the treble on them a little and bass at 3 pm and man they to me sound better than my 340 se on my x4400h.... does anyone know the proper setup for these on the denons.... i mean dave linked me to a thread here and said look for your amp.. and well that thread is 2600 posts.. i searched it with 340 se and 340 and ascend and x4400h and got no hits.... im so lost i have no idea where to go or what to do about gettin my sound pristine as it should be with these rock stars speakers and amp..... he hasnt replied to my emails sicne 2 days ago and i na way i cant blame him i feel like an annoying noob. and im a professional dj for 27 yrs.. but HT systems are all new to me... i did figure out how to turn off audyssey and pull up graphic eq but there is no option for just treble.. maybe thats all im missing i dont know...... in no way am i disrespecting david or ascend.. i love their customer service and personal replies... like i said i cant blame him.... anyhow pls someone help me and direct me at what i should be doing or where im goin wrong...... i was about to bu yan outlaw 5000 but he said thats prob not the solution im looking for at this moment.. im leanin toward treble and mids and highs maybe for clarity or i could be all together wrong about whats not right in my setup..... i truly appreciate any and all genuine replies without sarcasm or putting me down for askin for direction.. thanks all

vizio pq65-f1 t10 cooling running 5.1.4 format
denon x4400h
LCR ascend acoustics 340 se
cbm 170 se surrounds LR
rear heights bose 201 series iv or ii/front heights kenwood small 401 from an old system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11702 of 12113 Old 07-23-2019, 09:15 PM

edited my signature to updated system status

denon x4400h
cbm 170 se surrounds LR
rear heights bose 201 series iv or ii/front heights kenwood small 401 from an old system
post #11703 of 12113 Old 07-23-2019, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELEVO View Post
Hi, Has anyone had any success with adding a Sony Headset to a Denon X6400H AVR? I am looking to set up my Receiver to send sound to my headset Sony WH-1000X3 M3 to be exact.

attached to my Denon X6400H is an LG Oled B7 65" TV So not sure if the sound should be coming from AVR which is how I have my LG Oled TV set up. what Equipment would I need to add the Headset? Thanks for your response.
I believe that you should have enough luck connecting it through bluetooth, but I can't say for absolute certain because I have the MDR1000X (the first generation of that headset) and the X3400H. If that is unsatisfactory or doesn't work, I imagine something like THIS might work as I set something similar up for my PS4 Pro to connect to my analog input gaming chair....

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence2society View Post
so dave at ascend acoustics said i should not use audyssey for my ascends on my system and talked abotu the curve... we went back and forth with like 16 emails cause i feel like im not blown away as ishould be by my 340 se LCR.. and hsu sub sounds great..
Spoiler!
i truly appreciate any and all genuine replies without sarcasm or putting me down for askin for direction.. thanks all
So, I suggest you reconsidering not running Audyssey calibration set-up -- what many/most of us do is run the award winning renown Audyssey to measure distance and initial levels; then, after, we switch to "Manual" mode and personally tweak the settings to fit our preferences and/or get the best out of it all...
First and foremost is (if you haven't done so yet) for you to fully read the first posts of this thread -- particularly/specifically post #3 section 1-b and 10-d -- to be sure you are familiarized with the good base knowledge like at what clock position to start the sub(s) with, how to handle crossover frequency, which speakers are to be set to "Large" or "Small", etc.
As you will find in those sections, it really helps explain and list how to have your subwoofers deal with most/all lower frequencies; thus, allowing more of the sound above a certain Hz (hence, utilizing the crossover setting) to be outputting through your LCR's and hopefully a more crystal and detailed sound. Also, it explains why Audyssey might not get figures absolutely and accurately exact and correct; which is to create a sort of "soundscape" versus a straight wall-of-speaker sound and uses various "adjustments" to speaker distance and levels to achieve it...
After all of this, as I said previously, is where many/most of us do personal tweaks to fit our liking/preference. Here is a couple of suggestions that I employ on mine that you might find useful/effective; I personally like to use Multi Ch Stereo or DTS Neural:X, but I've found that many here who are using all of this for music listening prefer "Pure Direct" ("This mode plays back an even higher quality sound than the “Direct” mode. The following circuits are stopped in order to further improve sound quality." from manual) or "Direct" or plain "Stereo". If you've learned anything from the first posts of this thread, set Crossovers to at least 80Hz or above (hopefully not too high above or else you risk having your subs attempt to output some sound/frequencies that are best done by real speakers and not subwoofers...). As for "Subwoofer Mode", I do prefer having it set to LFE+Main (maybe because I utilize the dual-sub MultEQ-XT32 set up), but set it lower than the default (120Hz) as to be sure that, again, the subs aren't outputting sound that would sound better out of the speakers (in my case, 100Hz is what it is set at). Beyond these Audyssey settings, I suggest & have it set like this; in the "Sound Parameter" settings, I have Cinema EQ enabled, Loudness Management set to "Off" (I rather personally and manually manage any peaks or "loudness" myself, to be sure the sound isn't dampened or lowered more than I intend...), Dynamic Compression set to "Off", and "Low Frequency Effects" (LFE) set to -10dB (For proper playback of the different sources, we recommend setting to the values below. Dolby Digital sources: 0 dB DTS movie sources: 0 dB DTS music sources: -10 dB" from manual) -- personal experience; I initially had this set to the default of 0dB, but for a couple of weeks had to go without my subs, so I set these in hopes to regain a bit of it through the speakers, and found that it really outputs a considerable amount "fuller" of an experience. In the Audyssey settings (under Settings/Audio), I have the MultEQ® XT32 set to "Reference", Dynamic EQ set to "On", Reference Level Offset set to "10 dB" (here is where you may want to decide on your own as every iteration of 5 is good for different things like "cinema", jazz or other music, classical or pop/rock, etc.), Dynamic Volume set to "Off" (again, I rather be the one to manually manage these types of things), and Audyssey LFC set to "Off" (although I do turn this on and put the Containment Amount to 7 if I don't want the sound to penetrate walls or to other rooms...).
I've found these settings really make a bright (aka good amount of "treble") and satisfying sound all around and may make a good base for you to start with -- especially considering that you are speaking about "treble" specific adjustments where these speakers and AVR doesn't really manage the speaker and sound in that way. If these and none other you find work, then it really may be your speakers.

Hope this helps some....

My HT Setup 5.2.2---TV:Samsung Q6F(QN82Q6FNAFXZA); Receiver:Denon AVR-X3400H;Sub:HSU Research VTF-2 MK5;Speakers:ELAC F6.2(x2 -> Front R/L), ELAC C6.2(Center), ELAC B6.2(x2 -> Surround R/L), Onkyo SKB-750X(x2 -> Atmos "height" R/L);Sub #2:Onkyo SKW-750X;Connected Devices:Xfinity X1 HD DVR (TV shows), Sony PS4 Pro (UHD videos, gaming), Magnavox MBP6700(UHD HDR movies), Sony PS3 (UPnP media player), Nintendo Switch (gaming)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11704 of 12113 Old 07-24-2019, 12:00 AM

that all makes some sense to me.. see ive been a club dj for 23 yrs and was in radio before that so i am very very picky and stuck up when it comes to quality sound. so far as the first few settings you mentioned and such. i have run audyssey a number of times and every time i move a speaker or add one or two or whatever.. its been run many times... i have ascend acoustics all around and they are top of the lien quality speakers and dave said i shouldnt be feelin like im missing out in any way shape or form... i agree.

i have my LCR at 80 hz and small... though audyssey likes to set them to large and 40 i go in and change that per ascend. i have dynamic eq and volume off. though sometimes ill put cinema or dynamic eq on depending on content... man its late and you wrote a lot im gonna have to reread and go through it again when i get up i n the morning. its been a long day and its 3 am.. i dunno where to even start ya wrote so much and thank you for the detailed response dude i truly appreciate you taking the time to do that..... im really gonna have to read all of this a couple times to get it all in my skull... i of course would run audyssey for the basics. and then go from there. i got so far as getting to the graphic eq but i honestly am not sure where to start with that per say i def dont wanna mess anything up or blow anything though i dont think thats possible.. with the setup. i sat there starin at the eq levels and im like uh ok where do i start and what am i looking for and whats safe and whats not lol.... i think ill probably mess with it tomorrow.. oh thats what i was gonna say i even looked up setting u pthe sub right cause that was so low before. i did the crawl and everything and i actually put the sub to the rear left of main listening position and it sounds phenomenal.. i did the distance trick with the sub but foudn it not necessary in that position and i also put the decibels to 80 81 when i ran audyssey which gave me a perfect -9.5 in the calibration.. and if iwant more sub i move it from between 9 oclock to 12 o clcok and it drops and feels amazing.... sitting on the couch the sub sounds like its coming from the front speakers... its super deceiving and sweet sounding but its those fine details i feel im missing out on on the mids and highs..

i feel like it could be way more crisp and detailed. like the john wick scenes i ran to test it out just feels like there is more goign on in the video than i am hearing ya know.. im getting most of it but its just not giving me the depth i expect and details. so far as music and pure direct ihadnt even thought of that.. i am a dj so i listen to all kinds of stuff but i have noticed when im playing music even breakbeats and edm where i know it should have this deep bass and strength then ti seems weak even with volume up. which is another point when im watchin movies and tv i have the tv volume reading 75 which is damn clsoe to maxed out and its quiet up to 60.. not sure off the top of my head what level that is reading out on on the denon unit but at times depending on the surround format i can turn it to max and its def not as loud as id expect it to be and for maxed out i would think it would be blowin out my drums but its not.. this is all very hard to explain by typing and trying to hitthe major points or make the points im trying to make or explain it fully and accurately what im getting at. dunno if this is even making freakin sense how im trying ot explain my issue. heh

denon x4400h
cbm 170 se surrounds LR
post #11705 of 12113 Old 07-24-2019, 02:52 AM

Quote:
that all makes some sense to me.. see ive been a club dj for 23 yrs and was in radio before that so i am very very picky and stuck up when it comes to quality sound. so far as the first few settings you mentioned and such. i have run audyssey a number of times and every time i move a speaker or add one or two or whatever.. its been run many times... i have ascend acoustics all around and they are top of the lien quality speakers and dave said i shouldnt be feelin like im missing out in any way shape or form... i agree.

i have my LCR at
Spoiler!
this is all very hard to explain by typing and trying to hitthe major points or make the points im trying to make or explain it fully and accurately what im getting at. dunno if this is even making freakin sense how im trying ot explain my issue. heh
Yeah...I'm happy to help...and honestly, I type extremely fast so that kind of response isn't too big of a deal and I (usually) get tend to let it "get away from myself" and over-speak...

So...a couple of things I wanted to mention now because I probably will forget them by tomorrow and then I'll finally hit the sack; Just making sure & to confirm, you have run Audyssey a couple of times you say, but confirming if you have changed it to "Manual Setup" and not kept it as the automatic setup it keeps it as from the calibration. Also, with your 4 atmos/height speakers, what do you have set in "Amp Assign"? If that is set improperly, that could easily very well be the reason why sound isn't coming out full and/or correctly necessarily... Just for reference, I usually have TV viewing at around 55, 63 for video games, and it's full-on loud cinematic viewing at 71-73 and I have found many times that certain sources and under certain sound modes, things can sound really seemingly muffled in comparison to full on Multi Ch Stereo or Auto Surround, but that's meant to create a particular surround sound that only certain sounds come out through certain speakers; but, if anything, it really shouldn't be described as "quiet" at 60...If anything, you can/should modify (in the Manual settings) the levels for the specific channels (like I said, we all manually adjust to our tastes after the initial Audyssey calibration, this is an example of such) and/or "Channel Level Adjust" (from the Options button) -- please be aware that this is Source "attached". Actually, just now looking at the manual on this, this is also where you can adjust a section under "Adjust Tone" in which, after turning "On", gives you an actual option to adjust for treble and bass +/-6dB (which is exactly what you're seeking!!!). In any case, again, these are the areas to "tweak" so you can (hopefully) get the experience you desire and is what many/most of us do -- and maybe not necessarily (or it might be beyond most of us) tweak the Graphic EQ...

Oh, and btw, the HSU is just phenominal, ain't it?!!

My HT Setup 5.2.2---TV:Samsung Q6F(QN82Q6FNAFXZA); Receiver:Denon AVR-X3400H;Sub:HSU Research VTF-2 MK5;Speakers:ELAC F6.2(x2 -> Front R/L), ELAC C6.2(Center), ELAC B6.2(x2 -> Surround R/L), Onkyo SKB-750X(x2 -> Atmos "height" R/L);Sub #2:Onkyo SKW-750X;Connected Devices:Xfinity X1 HD DVR (TV shows), Sony PS4 Pro (UHD videos, gaming), Magnavox MBP6700(UHD HDR movies), Sony PS3 (UPnP media player), Nintendo Switch (gaming)

Last edited by simplepinoi177; 07-24-2019 at 03:01 AM.
post #11706 of 12113 Old 07-24-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELEVO View Post
Hi, Has anyone had any success with adding a Sony Headset to a Denon X6400H AVR? I am looking to set up my Receiver to send sound to my headset Sony WH-1000X3 M3 to be exact.

attached to my Denon X6400H is an LG Oled B7 65" TV So not sure if the sound should be coming from AVR which is how I have my LG Oled TV set up. what Equipment would I need to add the Headset? Thanks for your response.
AFAIK the x6400h does not do BT out, only in. So you would need to either use them wired or attach a BT adapter to the x6400h. The other option is to attach the Sony headset to the source via BT but that may be problematic if you use multiple sources. Net is there are various ways to make it work, none of them ideal. It is a shame that Denon does not provide BT out.
Madmax67 likes this.

Mark
post #11707 of 12113 Old 07-24-2019, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22433 Post(s)
Liked: 12200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
AFAIK the x6400h does not do BT out, only in. So you would need to either use them wired or attach a BT adapter to the x6400h. The other option is to attach the Sony headset to the source via BT but that may be problematic if you use multiple sources. Net is there are various ways to make it work, none of them ideal. It is a shame that Denon does not provide BT out.
Bluetooth out is a new feature that will be offered on the 2019 models being released now via a future firmware update.
post #11708 of 12113 Old 07-24-2019, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
so dave at ascend acoustics said i should not use audyssey for my ascends on my system and talked abotu the curve... we went back and forth with like 16 emails cause i feel like im not blown away as ishould be by my 340 se LCR.. and hsu sub sounds great.. just feel like deatils are missing etc etc... well i just got some 170 se off ebay and plugged them in my friends 55 watt tuner in the shop downstairs at his house where i stay when im working weekends and those 170 se blew me away with detail and clarity and accuracy.... i boosted the treble on them a little and bass at 3 pm and man they to me sound better than my 340 se on my x4400h.... does anyone know the proper setup for these on the denons.... i mean dave linked me to a thread here and said look for your amp.. and well that thread is 2600 posts.. i searched it with 340 se and 340 and ascend and x4400h and got no hits.... im so lost i have no idea where to go or what to do about gettin my sound pristine as it should be with these rock stars speakers and amp..... he hasnt replied to my emails sicne 2 days ago and i na way i cant blame him i feel like an annoying noob. and im a professional dj for 27 yrs.. but HT systems are all new to me... i did figure out how to turn off audyssey and pull up graphic eq but there is no option for just treble.. maybe thats all im missing i dont know...... in no way am i disrespecting david or ascend.. i love their customer service and personal replies... like i said i cant blame him.... anyhow pls someone help me and direct me at what i should be doing or where im goin wrong...... i was about to bu yan outlaw 5000 but he said thats prob not the solution im looking for at this moment.. im leanin toward treble and mids and highs maybe for clarity or i could be all together wrong about whats not right in my setup..... i truly appreciate any and all genuine replies without sarcasm or putting me down for askin for direction.. thanks all
It's not uncommon that a speaker mfr suggests not using Audyssey (or any on board EQ for that matter) although I've never understood why when for the vast majority of cases, doing so will help improve the audio quality when the calibration is performed correctly (see FAQ link below) and now even more so when the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app (iOS/Android, $20) is used which will allow you to edit the Audyssey curve to suit your personal preference.

Review the Audyssey FAQ --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...d-part-ii.html

Note that Dynamic EQ is disabled when using the Tone - Bass/Treble settings and Audyssey is disabled when using the on board Graphic EQ.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #11709 of 12113 Old 07-24-2019, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
No sound from the HDMI 1 (Sat/Cable) input from DirecTV on the Denon AVR-4400h

I recently upgraded to 4k with the Sony X900F, the Denon AVR-4400h, high-end Roku, and the mid-range Panasonic UHD blu-ray player. My UHD blu-ray and Roku both play audio and video flawlessly through their respective HDMI ports in the back of the Denon. However, my DirecTV HDMI that is plugged into HDMI 1 will not play any sound. The front panel shows Dolby Surround on it but zero volume. When I disconnect from the Denon and go direct from the DirecTV DVR to the Sony I get Dolby Digital to the TV.

Likewise, when I connect the HDMI to the AUX port on the front of the Denon it produces Dolby Digital just as it should via the HDMI 1 port. So it's likely not the DVR but the receiver.

I've gone through every setting and cannot figure out why my Denon is not processing the DirecTV Dolby Digital to the HDMI 1 port on the receiver but it will process Dolby Digital via the Aux 1 input on the front of the Denon.

I am using 2.0 compliant HDMI cables.

Help, anyone. Thanks.

NakieJakie
post #11710 of 12113 Old 07-24-2019, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakiejakie View Post
I recently upgraded to 4k with the Sony X900F, the Denon AVR-4400h, high-end Roku, and the mid-range Panasonic UHD blu-ray player. My UHD blu-ray and Roku both play audio and video flawlessly through their respective HDMI ports in the back of the Denon. However, my DirecTV HDMI that is plugged into HDMI 1 will not play any sound. The front panel shows Dolby Surround on it but zero volume. When I disconnect from the Denon and go direct from the DirecTV DVR to the Sony I get Dolby Digital to the TV.

Likewise, when I connect the HDMI to the AUX port on the front of the Denon it produces Dolby Digital just as it should via the HDMI 1 port. So it's likely not the DVR but the receiver.

I've gone through every setting and cannot figure out why my Denon is not processing the DirecTV Dolby Digital to the HDMI 1 port on the receiver but it will process Dolby Digital via the Aux 1 input on the front of the Denon.

I am using 2.0 compliant HDMI cables.

Help, anyone. Thanks.

NakieJakie
So then to troubleshoot first determine if there is an issue with the HDMI 1 input. Try connecting either the Roku or the Blu Ray player to HDMI 1 and see if there is an issue. If yes, you know the HDMI input is bad. If no, connect the DTV DVR to every other HDMI input 2-7 to determine if it works with any of them. In some cases, it has been seen that HDMI inputs closer to the outputs will work better with some HDMI sources. If it doesn't work with any of the remaining HDMI inputs, there's some sort of communication issue. Ensure you are using "Premium" certified 4k/18gbps HDMI cables.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/pr...e/faq.aspx#156

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 07-24-2019 at 01:38 PM.
post #11711 of 12113 Old 07-24-2019, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I'm glad for the eARC, it works great with my recent purchase of the 65" Sony X950G. From the built in apps, eARC port itself, as well as other HDMI ports on the TV sent the audio back to the receiver.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #11712 of 12113 Old 07-24-2019, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by camd5pt0 View Post
I'm glad for the eARC, it works great with my recent purchase of the 65" Sony X950G. From the built in apps, eARC port itself, as well as other HDMI ports on the TV sent the audio back to the receiver.

What audio is actually being passed? Standard DD/DD+/DTS or actual HD audio (ie. Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA)?
post #11713 of 12113 Old 07-24-2019, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2172 Post(s)
Liked: 2474
Quote:
so dave at ascend acoustics said i should not use audyssey for my ascends on my system and talked abotu the curve... we went back and forth with like 16 emails cause i feel like im not blown away as ishould be by my 340 se LCR.. and hsu sub sounds great.. just feel like deatils are missing etc etc...
That's the X curve and it's not actually a curve but a formulary used for translating from a studio mixed soundtrack to a larger theater environment. It lacks the elevated bass rise starting from 20HZ that other room correction suites like Dirac implement but there is the optional MultEQ mobile app for $20 that can be used to not only setup Audyssey on a tablet but include that elevated bass response using a low shelf filter. If you have already run Audyssey and read the Audyssey faqs 101 ll thread's sticky then you might try a tighter mic pattern than is recommended in that thread. Instead of spreading out a maximum of 2 feet from the first center of head mic position you only go out about a foot or so with no mic positions taken behind the first and at least the last 2 taken a foot above the first 3 center of head and right/ left ear location. Basically you form a half bubble around where your head would be while listening. Taking measurements too spread apart and taking measurements behind or too close to a wall or hard seatback boundary can cause poor results afterwards. Also measure at all 6 or 8 mic locations allowed by your level of Audyssey. Listening in Direct mode with Audyssey of afterwards will show you what thr speakers sound like running full range with no bass mgmt or room correction. Auto uses room correction and bass mgmt. I prefer Auto in my space.

Quote:
well i just got some 170 se off ebay and plugged them in my friends 55 watt tuner in the shop downstairs at his house where i stay when im working weekends and those 170 se blew me away with detail and clarity and accuracy.... i boosted the treble on them a little and bass at 3 pm and man they to me sound better than my 340 se on my x4400h....
You're using tone controls to select an elevated preference at certain frequencies. You can disable Dynamic EQ on the 4400 and do the same thing under the option button on the remote. Not much granular control but effective.

Quote:
does anyone know the proper setup for these on the denons.... i mean dave linked me to a thread here and said look for your amp.. and well that thread is 2600 posts.. i searched it with 340 se and 340 and ascend and x4400h and got no hits.... im so lost i have no idea where to go or what to do about gettin my sound pristine as it should be with these rock stars speakers and amp..... he hasnt replied to my emails sicne 2 days ago and i na way i cant blame him i feel like an annoying noob. and im a professional dj for 27 yrs.. but HT systems are all new to me... i did figure out how to turn off audyssey and pull up graphic eq but there is no option for just treble.. maybe thats all im missing i dont know...... in no way am i disrespecting david or ascend.. i love their customer service and personal replies... like i said i cant blame him.... anyhow pls someone help me and direct me at what i should be doing or where im goin wrong.....
After running Audyssey verify your speakers are all set to Small and crossed over at 80HZ unless Denon initially set them higher in which case leave those as is if they are surround speakers. Disabling Audyssey isn't the answer unless just for dedicated 2 channel listening with uncompressed source content. Even then I leave my Audyssey EQ on because it sounds better in my space. I bet if you tighten up that initial mic pattern and keep the mic at least 18 inches away from any hard boundaries things will sound a lot better afterwards. I've run Audyssey XT32 on 3 completely different HT speaker setups all from different manufacturers and it sounded better every single time afterwards with Audyssey engaged. I doubt Ascend speakers are any different.

Quote:
i was about to buy an outlaw 5000 but he said thats prob not the solution im looking for at this moment.. im leanin toward treble and mids and highs maybe for clarity or i could be all together wrong about whats not right in my setup..... i truly appreciate any and all genuine replies without sarcasm or putting me down for askin for direction.. thanks all
I bought an Outlaw 5000 and it didn't improve my X4300's sound quality. I just got a good deal on it used off of CL. No sarcasm meant. I don't think that lack of amplifier power is your issue either.
simplepinoi177 likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #11714 of 12113 Old 07-24-2019, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No offense but even running something 100 times doesn't matter much if the initial setup's mic spread is off. The Audyssey mic doesn't perceive sound the way our ears do binauraly and needs accurate information from directly around the main listening position to set proper filters. Audyssey room correction has been run and used on Ascend speakers for years on AVS with good results from user feedback. Something else is up.

Quote:
i have my LCR at 80 hz and small... though audyssey likes to set them to large and 40 i go in and change that per ascend.
Good deal but Audyssey has nothing to do with setting speakers full range or not. That's done by the receiver itself not Audyssey.

Quote:
i have dynamic eq and volume off. though sometimes ill put cinema or dynamic eq on depending on content... man its late and you wrote a lot im gonna have to reread and go through it again when i get up i n the morning. its been a long day and its 3 am.. i dunno where to even start ya wrote so much and thank you for the detailed response dude i truly appreciate you taking the time to do that..... im really gonna have to read all of this a couple times to get it all in my skull... i of course would run audyssey for the basics. and then go from there. i got so far as getting to the graphic eq but i honestly am not sure where to start with that per say i def dont wanna mess anything up or blow anything though i dont think thats possible.. with the setup. i sat there starin at the eq levels and im like uh ok where do i start and what am i looking for and whats safe and whats not lol.... i think ill probably mess with it tomorrow..

The graphic EQ is only available with Audyssey disabled. Your answers aren't in a crude old school GEQ my friend trust me. No center frequency adjustments for Q like in a PEQ.

Quote:
oh thats what i was gonna say i even looked up setting u pthe sub right cause that was so low before. i did the crawl and everything and i actually put the sub to the rear left of main listening position and it sounds phenomenal.. i did the distance trick with the sub but foudn it not necessary in that position and i also put the decibels to 80 81 when i ran audyssey which gave me a perfect -9.5 in the calibration.. and if iwant more sub i move it from between 9 oclock to 12 o clcok and it drops and feels amazing.... sitting on the couch the sub sounds like its coming from the front speakers... its super deceiving and sweet sounding but its those fine details i feel im missing out on on the mids and highs..
Try the Cinema EQ setting combined with the MultEQ setting at Flat. That allows for a high frequency rolloff without the mid range compensation dip at 2KHZm that MultEQ Reference uses. I'd first rerun Audyssey using the tighter mic pattern though first.

Quote:
i feel like it could be way more crisp and detailed. like the john wick scenes i ran to test it out just feels like there is more goign on in the video than i am hearing ya know.. im getting most of it but its just not giving me the depth i expect and details. so far as music and pure direct ihadnt even thought of that.. i am a dj so i listen to all kinds of stuff but i have noticed when im playing music even breakbeats and edm where i know it should have this deep bass and strength then ti seems weak even with volume up.
I thought you said bass sounded great coming from the sub? Try boosting the sub channel under the speaker-> manual setup-> levels-> test tone section for added bass boost. How large is your space in cubic feet?

Quote:
which is another point when im watchin movies and tv i have the tv volume reading 75 which is damn clsoe to maxed out and its quiet up to 60.. not sure off the top of my head what level that is reading out on on the denon unit but at times depending on the surround format i can turn it to max and its def not as loud as id expect it to be and for maxed out i would think it would be blowin out my drums but its not..
Yeah, something's up either with your space or the setup because Reference level(80 Absolute scale) should definitely sound loud at the listening position. 8 Ohm 90 dB anechoic sensitive mains times 3 should add 6dB per additional speaker up front. You'll lose about 3dB for every doubling of distance from 1 meter out as well but with the boundary effect you should be more than fine loudness wise. Are the center of your tweeters in line with your seated ear level? Are the L&R speakers toed in a bit or pointing straight ahead? How far apart are they from each other and from your seating position? You should be forming basically an equilateral triangle between you and the left and right mains. Also any side surrounds should be mounted directly beside you at 90° with the center of the tweeters at or no more than a foot or so above ear level.

Quote:
this is all very hard to explain by typing and trying to hitthe major points or make the points im trying to make or explain it fully and accurately what im getting at. dunno if this is even making freakin sense how im trying ot explain my issue. heh
You're making perfect sense. How large is your space in cubic feet and is it sealed or open to other spaces? Also how far away do you sit from your front speakers?

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #11715 of 12113 Old 07-24-2019, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
What audio is actually being passed? Standard DD/DD+/DTS or actual HD audio (ie. Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA)?
I did some testing and got Dolby Atmos and DD+Atmos but apparently my eARC was off by default. I'll test again tomorrow

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #11716 of 12113 Old 07-25-2019, 12:02 AM

damn max thats a mouthful and thank you and everyone else for chiming in.... man i dont even know where to start here.... lol..... all speakers are toed in and surrounds setup properly as ya said.. LR are about 7.5 feet to 8 feet apart.. center channel is lined up correctly as well... im very meticulous with that kindof stuff... the ex hated it hahah. hence the ex.

when i ran cal i had mic in center of 3 seater couch for main then moved it just to each seat for 2 and 3 positions.. less than 2 feet and ear level as close as possible.... i then only ran the next 3 positions which i wasnt sure about with the diagram on screen so i put the ear level from the ground up as if someone were sitting leaning against the couch.. which is about 2 feet lower than first 3 positions and less than 2 feet in front of them.... there really are only 3 seats in my living room to watch tv as it is 13 by 13 with about 7 foot ceiling and separated by a counter to the kitchen which is pretty much the other half of the room.. its a 14 foot wide mobile home... and max yeah i have tried messin with flat and ref and cinema eq and so on so forth all diff settings and sometimes it seems a lil better but then often very much the same to me.

hmm what else did ya say.... oh my sub sounds amazing... that hsu is ballsy.. and i gotta say when there is bass it sounds like it is all coming form the front stage.. its oddly awesome how that works...

im sure i missed a few things it is late and im tired.. bout rdy for bed gotta drive 2 hrs to the keys to go back to work this weekend..

@simplepinoi177 i read your reply and i have to read again. i had a few things to reply with.. and YES THAT SUB IS PHENOMENAL!!! i absolutely love it. been busy running around all day thats why i havent replied. didnt even get to read these til i was too tired to do anything about it tonight lol

im gonna have to try all this stuff when iget back in town monday.
simplepinoi177 likes this.

denon x4400h
cbm 170 se surrounds LR
post #11717 of 12113 Old 07-25-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Reading what's above had me thinking. Do you guys commonly do any sort of DSP? Whether with the AVR or before the signal gets there? Or is it common these days just to run audessy and then leave it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #11718 of 12113 Old 07-25-2019, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Reading what's above had me thinking. Do you guys commonly do any sort of DSP? Whether with the AVR or before the signal gets there? Or is it common these days just to run audessy and then leave it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With the availability of the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app (iOS/Android, $20), you can now tweak the Audyssey curve once it's been run using the app.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 07-25-2019 at 09:30 AM.
post #11719 of 12113 Old 07-25-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
With the availability of the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app, you can now tweak the Audyssey curve once it's been run using the app.
Nice, thanks JD. I haven't checked that out yet.

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #11720 of 12113 Old 07-25-2019, 11:36 AM

so guys after i wrote this last night .. i put on the john wick shoot out in the club which i have been using to test surround sound etc... i went in to my gui and i was turning off the dynamic eq and going for flat.... well i went to try flat with cinema and flat with dynamic then flat without and i noticed something interesting under cinema eq...

LOUDNESS MANAGEMENT WAS TURNED ON... and my brain went click click click!!! so i turned both eqs off then turned off loudness management which apparently affects the highs.. and i went back and i think i put dynamic eq back on with flat.... man that glass breakin was all over the room and the knife going in dudes jaw from underneath..... and the pulling of it.... i could hear all these details very clearly.... i only listened to that one movie and played the scene a few times with these diff settings and i also played it twice on med volume and then higher up one more time and i swear im getting way more detail and clarity with loudness management off..... like iaid the glass breaking and the shards falling etc... super good test of details and it was quite detailed and i shook my head and said well mothafunka???????

ok now this brings me to another issue i been wanting to bring up but i havent yet cause one issue at a time..... GUI OVERLAY issue

i noticed when using tv audio sincei got this avr and even with the otheri had the 2400 the gui overlay doesnt come up when using earc/arc

info has to be read and the menu only shows on the front of the receiver THIS IS SUPER ANNOYING and makes navigation an absolute chore... horrible glitch or programming.. i dunno why it works this way.... so when i got the paple tv box i thought awesome i wont have to deal with this when i want to tweak stuff while watchign a movie or show to fine tune things cause ATV is running through the receiver not out from the tv itself... well i was half right.... for at first the gui opened up over the video feed so i could see my menu options and surround options for tv game music etc... THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT to have working properly... going through the menu options on that little display is not beneficial in anyway shape or form its makes things way too complicated and hard to read and see the full set of options.. basically its impossible to tweak from just using the front of the display.....
well with ATV the gui seems to come up half the time and not come up the other half... maybe depending which app is being used on the atv.... this makes no sense to me.. that gui menu needs to be over all video feeds on every input to fix tweak or play with settings and fine tune... having to exit the current feed just to do that is an unbelievable pain in the butt for the end user and yo u have ot exit al l this stuff and reopen everythign anytime you need to change somethign that should only take 5 secs or less now it takes minutes to tweak a simple setting..... ive tried googlign this issue and so on for months to find no help at all with it.......

and on the same note which is what brigns me to calling out this programming issue with their software/hardware....

im tryign to select my audio output and format for sound... but the gui doesnt pop up with the lis tof available sound formats it only shows onthe front of the avr...and in films that should be atmos like john wick it is only giving me like 3 options for audio output... and the atmos one says atmos multi channel stereo for the 9.1 output setting... is this even right or how atmos is supposed to read... previously before gettin atv.. i know for atmos or full surround i would dolby atmos neutral x as an option for al lspekaers firing or neutral x auro 3d... etc etc etc.. and then mutli chan stereo and the other options...... can anyone explain this to me ... is there some settign im missing??? the way i have it dsetup all options should be there should they not... and i dotn see a way to change the number of outpuits or what have you as of right now.. or options for speaker output setup..... thanks again...

very curious how many other ppl have this complaint on the gui

denon x4400h
cbm 170 se surrounds LR
post #11721 of 12113 Old 07-25-2019, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 6299 Post(s)
Liked: 5629
^^^

In the AVR setup menu, usually under GENERAL>VIDEO, there should be an option similar to VIDEO CONVERSION. Turn that on and your GUI should work with all video formats.

EDIT: Found it: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4400H/N...SYmlxuhedk.php
post #11722 of 12113 Old 07-25-2019, 12:04 PM

nice dude thank you i coudltn find it anywhere

denon x4400h
cbm 170 se surrounds LR
post #11723 of 12113 Old 07-25-2019, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
nice dude thank you i coudltn find it anywhere
The source video must pass through the AVR in order for the source GUI to display which is not the case when only passing ARC audio back to the TV.
post #11724 of 12113 Old 07-25-2019, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
so guys after i wrote this last night .. i put on the john wick shoot out in the club which i have been using to test surround sound etc... i went in to my gui and i was turning off the dynamic eq and going for flat.... well i went to try flat with cinema and flat with dynamic then flat without and i noticed something interesting under cinema eq...

LOUDNESS MANAGEMENT WAS TURNED ON... and my brain went click click click!!! so i turned both eqs off then turned off loudness management which apparently affects the highs.. and i went back and i think i put dynamic eq back on with flat.... man that glass breakin was all over the room and the knife going in dudes jaw from underneath..... and the pulling of it.... i could hear all these details very clearly.... i only listened to that one movie and played the scene a few times with these diff settings and i also played it twice on med volume and then higher up one more time and i swear im getting way more detail and clarity with loudness management off..... like iaid the glass breaking and the shards falling etc... super good test of details and it was quite detailed and i shook my head and said well mothafunka???????

ok now this brings me to another issue i been wanting to bring up but i havent yet cause one issue at a time..... GUI OVERLAY issue

i noticed when using tv audio sincei got this avr and even with the otheri had the 2400 the gui overlay doesnt come up when using earc/arc

info has to be read and the menu only shows on the front of the receiver THIS IS SUPER ANNOYING and makes navigation an absolute chore... horrible glitch or programming.. i dunno why it works this way.... so when i got the paple tv box i thought awesome i wont have to deal with this when i want to tweak stuff while watchign a movie or show to fine tune things cause ATV is running through the receiver not out from the tv itself... well i was half right.... for at first the gui opened up over the video feed so i could see my menu options and surround options for tv game music etc... THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT to have working properly... going through the menu options on that little display is not beneficial in anyway shape or form its makes things way too complicated and hard to read and see the full set of options.. basically its impossible to tweak from just using the front of the display.....

well with ATV the gui seems to come up half the time and not come up the other half... maybe depending which app is being used on the atv.... this makes no sense to me.. that gui menu needs to be over all video feeds on every input to fix tweak or play with settings and fine tune... having to exit the current feed just to do that is an unbelievable pain in the butt for the end user and yo u have ot exit al l this stuff and reopen everythign anytime you need to change somethign that should only take 5 secs or less now it takes minutes to tweak a simple setting..... ive tried googlign this issue and so on for months to find no help at all with it.......

and on the same note which is what brigns me to calling out this programming issue with their software/hardware....

im tryign to select my audio output and format for sound... but the gui doesnt pop up with the lis tof available sound formats it only shows onthe front of the avr...and in films that should be atmos like john wick it is only giving me like 3 options for audio output... and the atmos one says atmos multi channel stereo for the 9.1 output setting... is this even right or how atmos is supposed to read... previously before gettin atv.. i know for atmos or full surround i would dolby atmos neutral x as an option for al lspekaers firing or neutral x auro 3d... etc etc etc.. and then mutli chan stereo and the other options...... can anyone explain this to me ... is there some settign im missing??? the way i have it dsetup all options should be there should they not... and i dotn see a way to change the number of outpuits or what have you as of right now.. or options for speaker output setup..... thanks again...

Ok, lots of reading here, like JD said, the GUI will NEVER appear when using ARC because no video is processed through the AVR, so my suggestion is to use the Denon 2016 app on your iOS or Android device, it works amazing.

But I’m always curious, why do you need a GUI to see the volume? A magic number isn’t going to make you hear better. Menus and such can be tweaked as needed per source, but it should be a set and done thing, shouldn’t need to access menus after the first few runs. And since things can done via the app, the GUI is a mute point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
post #11725 of 12113 Old 07-25-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:

How would you expect the AVR to inject a GUI into a video signal that never passes thru the AVR....
Quicksilv3r and mrtickleuk like this.

Mark
post #11726 of 12113 Old 07-25-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepinoi177 View Post
So, I suggest you reconsidering not running Audyssey calibration set-up -- what many/most of us do is run the award winning renown Audyssey to measure distance and initial levels; then, after, we switch to "Manual" mode and personally tweak the settings to fit our preferences and/or get the best out of it all...
First and foremost is............Beyond these Audyssey settings, I suggest & have it set like this; in the "Sound Parameter" settings, I have Cinema EQ enabled, Loudness Management set to "Off" (I rather personally and manually manage any peaks or "loudness" myself, to be sure the sound isn't dampened or lowered more than I intend...), Dynamic Compression set to "Off", and "Low Frequency Effects" (LFE) set to............

Hope this helps some....
Quote:

LOUDNESS MANAGEMENT WAS TURNED ON...
Spoiler!
thanks again...

HA!! I told you it was a good idea to turn off Loudness Management, Dynamic Compression, Dynamic Volume, and Audyssey LFC (in your specific case, not as an in-general statement). Also, that it was a good idea to leave the Audyssey calibration settings on and tweak from there... But I'm happy to hear that you're satisfied now (or at least getting there) and enjoying what your Denon and speakers have to offer...

And, also, it's as the others say; that in order for you to see volume and other information overlayed on the TV, the receiver has to "process" the video or how else is it supposed to input it on the video signal? As such, you don't really even have to change or improve the video signal -- i.e. you can leave it at 480 or 1080 i/p or whatever native resolution or mode or even aspect ratio; so it can go from 1080p to 1080p if you don't like how the Denon upconverts or rather have the TV or source do the upconverting...-- you just have to have "Video Conversion" set to On. Also, be aware that this is also source/input particular, so it might be set for some inputs (most likely analog ones) and not the HDMI inputs by default.

Lastly, you can always find out various information on the audio side of things by pressing the "Info" button on the remote. There, it should show you what the audio signal from the source transmitting is, what "Sound Mode" you're currently listening to, how many channels the type of signal you are receiving are (i.e. if source material is 2ch, then it will display 2 highlighted speakers, 5ch -> 5 speakers highlighted, etc.), and to what speakers/channels you yourself are outputting to (I wouldn't understand why not all [9 in your case], but maybe there are instances that I am unaware of...). Also, you can be aware that you are properly receiving and processing an Atmos signal (or DD+ or DTS Master) by going through the various "Sound Mode[s]"; if you see Atmos (or Dolby Digital + Atmos, or DTS + Surround; i'm unsure, Denon changed it recently in a recent firmware upgrade -- it used to simply say Atmos or DTS or whatever, no plus signs...), then there is an Atmos signal/option and that you are receiving it. If you do not see that, for whatever reason, it's not passing to the receiver; which might mean that a setting might not be properly set, or you are listening via ARC and not eARC (the former converts Atmos and other high-def audio modes to DD+). In any case, these are the two ways you should be able to determine to confirm you are receiving such a signal and/or if it is selected or needs to be selected...

Glad it's coming along for you -- this place is pretty great right?! look at all of the people who are willing to assist. listen to all of these people; they know far more than I -- and as always, hope this helps...

Last edited by simplepinoi177; 07-25-2019 at 03:40 PM.
post #11727 of 12113 Old 07-27-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone know if there is a place where one can see the comparable receivers between Marantz and Denon.

For instance I assume the x3400 has a "cousin" in the Marantz lineup that has basically the same guts. I thought I had seen a post at one point but can't find it.

post #11728 of 12113 Old 07-27-2019, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
X3400.

Why does Dolby atmos get stuck? If I play another movie that is only DD.. the reciever stays on atmos and the sound is out of whack. Turning on and off the receiver fixes the issue. Switching to other inputs does not solve the problem either. It will stay atmos till I turn off and on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by toy4x; 07-27-2019 at 09:38 PM.
post #11729 of 12113 Old 07-27-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Anyone know if there is a place where one can see the comparable receivers between Marantz and Denon.

For instance I assume the x3400 has a "cousin" in the Marantz lineup that has basically the same guts. I thought I had seen a post at one point but can't find it.
For the 2*00/3*00/4*00 Denon's the equivalents based on them are the 501*/601*/701* Marantz models.
simplepinoi177 and SouthernCA like this.

post #11730 of 12113 Old 07-27-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

well with ATV the gui seems to come up half the time and not come up the other half... maybe depending which app is being used on the atv.... this makes no sense to me.. that gui menu needs to be over all video feeds on every input to fix tweak or play with settings and fine tune... having to exit the current feed just to do that is an unbelievable pain in the butt for the end user and yo u have ot exit al l this stuff and reopen everythign anytime you need to change somethign that should only take 5 secs or less now it takes minutes to tweak a simple setting.....
With the X4400 these are the GUI/ Volume overlay restrictions:

Although unable to display the GUI on 4k video, able to display the volume bar/Info on 4k video (except Dolby Vision).

If it's not any of these playing then the GUI should overlay.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , connectivity , Denon , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , Pioneer , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , subwoofer denon test tone , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , zone 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page