"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 413 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136284Likes

post #12361 of 12508 Old 11-12-2019, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
Yes it works as 3.1.2. Just not as enveloping as 5.1.2. Need the surrounds to the sides of the main listening position for total immersion.

But the answer to your question it yes it works as 3.1.2.

Watched Avengers Endgame in Dolby Atmos for the test

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 11-12-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12362 of 12508 Old 11-12-2019, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Denon x2400H and 3.1.2 speaker conf

Hello,

Does anyone know if the Denon x2400H receiver support the Dolby Atmos configuration of 3.1.2? As per the manual it support a 5.1.2 configuration but it doesn't say if the two surround speakers on the back are a must for the two front Dolby Atmos speakers to work.

Basically I want a L/R front + Central + Sub + 2 Front Atmos speakers. About to buy Atmos add-on speakers but want to make sure my receiver support them in a 3.1.2 configuration.

Thank you
post #12363 of 12508 Old 11-12-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
^^^Dude, I answered the question in the post above yours. The answer is YES!!!
Quicksilv3r likes this.

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12364 of 12508 Old 11-12-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
^^^Dude, I answered the question in the post above yours. The answer is YES!!!
Thank you for testing. Sorry didn’t see your reply...appreciated!
post #12365 of 12508 Old 11-12-2019, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Does anyone know why my 3400H is all of a sudden missing a letter. Just noticed this earlier today.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #12366 of 12508 Old 11-12-2019, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I ran audyessy and was wondering why the show result doesn’t show eq for the sub channel ? Only had LCR surround etc.

I was wondering if it was supposed to eq the sub on the 4400h. I only have one sub.

It did make a few sounds with the sub channel during calibration like knocking at a door. No sweeps that I thought it would
post #12367 of 12508 Old 11-12-2019, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22879 Post(s)
Liked: 12505
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal View Post
I ran audyessy and was wondering why the show result doesn’t show eq for the sub channel ? Only had LCR surround etc.

I was wondering if it was supposed to eq the sub on the 4400h. I only have one sub.

It did make a few sounds with the sub channel during calibration like knocking at a door. No sweeps that I thought it would
Although the sub is EQ'd, there are no sub graphs displayed.
post #12368 of 12508 Old 11-13-2019, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post
Does anyone know why my 3400H is all of a sudden missing a letter. Just noticed this earlier today.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Refer to post 5 and start with a "Restart" to resolve the issue. If no joy, then do a "soft reset" and if yet still no joy, do a "microprocessor reset".
post #12369 of 12508 Old 11-13-2019, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Quote:
I ran audyessy and was wondering why the show result doesn’️t show eq for the sub channel ? Only had LCR surround etc.

Although the sub is EQ'd, there are no sub graphs displayed.
Thanks. Does the LR bypass still have the sub EQ? I would think so, but just want to be sure for 2 channel listening.

Also. I read you can turn off EQ above a certain frequency with the app. Can this be done without the app as well?

Thanks
post #12370 of 12508 Old 11-13-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 6587 Post(s)
Liked: 5983
Quote:
Thanks. Does the LR bypass still have the sub EQ? I would think so, but just want to be sure for 2 channel listening.
Yes, L/R Bypass is just that, it bypasses the EQ for the LR channels but leaves the EQ on for all other channels, including the subwoofer. That being said, why would you want to bypass the EQ for 2 channel listening? Room correction does not know if you are playing music or movies and corrects the frequency response to optimize your system in your room. By bypassing it for music listening, you are only doing yourself a disservice.

Quote:
Also. I read you can turn off EQ above a certain frequency with the app. Can this be done without the app as well?
No, you must have the Audyssey app. Your AVR is compatible with the app.
ahblaza and Madmax67 like this.
post #12371 of 12508 Old 11-13-2019, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DENON 1400H playing music from HDD connected to router via USB

hi Guys

I would be grateful if someone would tell me how to setup following. I have denon 1400H receiver connected to router which has connected HDD in USB slot. on my phone I want to see in my HEOS app I want to be able to see content of that hardrive where I have lots of music. it is not NAS just HDD connected to router via USB.

thanks
in advance
Lubo
post #12372 of 12508 Old 11-13-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubomir Kohut View Post
hi Guys

I would be grateful if someone would tell me how to setup following. I have denon 1400H receiver connected to router which has connected HDD in USB slot. on my phone I want to see in my HEOS app I want to be able to see content of that hardrive where I have lots of music. it is not NAS just HDD connected to router via USB.

thanks
in advance
Lubo
i see this has been moved , may i know why?
post #12373 of 12508 Old 11-13-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
hi Guys

thanks
in advance
Lubo
A NAS or network server software is required. Refer to p. 232 in the X1400H Owner's manual for more information.

Quote:
The Denon X1400H is a 2017 model that is discussed in this 2017 Denon AVR Owner's thread.
post #12374 of 12508 Old 11-13-2019, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
I don't want to speak for the Mod but this sounds like a home networking question and not a 2017 Denon question or even really a HEOS question. What you are really asking is how do you configure your router as a Media server. Once you figure that out it should be visible in HEOS...within the disk size/folder count/file system limits set by your router.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #12375 of 12508 Old 11-13-2019, 12:55 PM

1400h

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
A NAS or network server software is required. Refer to p. 232 in the X1400H Owner's manual for more information.

The Denon X1400H is a 2017 model that is discussed in this 2017 Denon AVR Owner's thread.
what network server do you have in mind? on my macbook i run plex and then in HEOS in option MUSIC servers i see plex which shares also music on my HDD connected to router's USB. however plex seems not to work this way on my phone.
post #12376 of 12508 Old 11-13-2019, 02:30 PM

denon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
I don't want to speak for the Mod but this sounds like a home networking question and not a 2017 Denon question or even really a HEOS question. What you are really asking is how do you configure your router as a Media server. Once you figure that out it should be visible in HEOS...within the disk size/folder count/file system limits set by your router.
I dont need NAS only share music files on hdd connected to router.
post #12377 of 12508 Old 11-14-2019, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I dont need NAS only share music files on hdd connected to router.
I have a hard drive with music files (flac) plugged into my router and can see / play the files on my x4400h using the HEOS app on my phone.

After opening the app, tap the "music" icon at the bottom of the screen, then tap "music servers". Mine shows up as "R6400" (Netgear 6400 router).
simplepinoi177 likes this.
post #12378 of 12508 Old 11-14-2019, 11:16 AM

music server

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralps View Post
I have a hard drive with music files (flac) plugged into my router and can see / play the files on my x4400h using the HEOS app on my phone.

After opening the app, tap the "music" icon at the bottom of the screen, then tap "music servers". Mine shows up as "R6400" (Netgear 6400 router).

i have xiaomi R3P router , it seems it has not music server unlike your router. therefore i cant see music server you mention in HEOS. any idea to run some music server on my router?
post #12379 of 12508 Old 11-14-2019, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
i have xiaomi R3P router , it seems it has not music server unlike your router. therefore i cant see music server you mention in HEOS. any idea to run some music server on my router?
I'm not familiar with your type of router specifically, but with my experience with Netgear and Asus routers, you might want to look into "custom firmware" for your router. If it is able to run something like DD-WRT or something akin to Asus's proprietary "Merlin" custom firmware, if your Xiaomi isn't able to run a "music server", necessarily, then other custom firmware might. WARNING!: Running a custom firmware might potentially "brick" your router, so tread lightly, read and research as much as you can, and no one else can be responsible for it but yourself...

My HT Setup 5.2.2---TV:Samsung Q6F(QN82Q6FNAFXZA); Receiver:Denon AVR-X3400H;Sub:HSU Research VTF-2 MK5;Speakers:ELAC F6.2(x2 -> Front R/L), ELAC C6.2(Center), ELAC B6.2(x2 -> Surround R/L), Onkyo SKB-750X(x2 -> Atmos "height" R/L);Sub #2:Onkyo SKW-750X;Connected Devices:Xfinity X1 HD DVR (TV shows), Sony PS4 Pro (UHD videos, gaming), Magnavox MBP6700(UHD HDR movies), Sony PS3 (UPnP media player), Nintendo Switch (gaming)
post #12380 of 12508 Old 11-15-2019, 01:37 AM

wrt custom ios

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepinoi177 View Post
I'm not familiar with your type of router specifically, but with my experience with Netgear and Asus routers, you might want to look into "custom firmware" for your router. If it is able to run something like DD-WRT or something akin to Asus's proprietary "Merlin" custom firmware, if your Xiaomi isn't able to run a "music server", necessarily, then other custom firmware might. WARNING!: Running a custom firmware might potentially "brick" your router, so tread lightly, read and research as much as you can, and no one else can be responsible for it but yourself...
i know about this choice but thats exactly what i want to avoid.brick the router.my router runs samba so i can see all drives connected via USB. for my macbook i have solution and can run music from drives connected to router's usb however i want the same for my android phone. i dont want to turn on pc every time i want to listen music in my denon1400h. if there is some android app which can make music server visible in HEOS and share content of drive connected to router. i did not find any so far. plex does work only on macbook. on phone no such option as in PC.
post #12381 of 12508 Old 11-15-2019, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
i know about this choice but thats exactly what i want to avoid.brick the router.my router runs samba so i can see all drives connected via USB. for my macbook i have solution and can run music from drives connected to router's usb however i want the same for my android phone. i dont want to turn on pc every time i want to listen music in my denon1400h. if there is some android app which can make music server visible in HEOS and share content of drive connected to router. i did not find any so far. plex does work only on macbook. on phone no such option as in PC.
Hmmm…well, I have an Android phone…and the most success I’ve had at “streaming” (via UPnP) my pictures and audio files to the TV/console is an app (paid) called BubbleUPnP.
But, I think the more pertinent question is that, your set up is supposedly to have an external hard drive (NAS supposedly) plugged in and you access that via HEOS on your Denon receiver. I’m unsure how you might accomplish the same with an Android device/intermediary… Unless your Android device has enough space capable for all those (high-definition if I recall correctly, so FLAC or DAC, which can run loads more higher than the very lossy compressed MP3s) files (depending on your collection) and/or you manage to attach something external to the device (either an micro-sd card of some sort and/or a flash drive [I know you can do this on the Pixels])….seems rather convoluted…

But, if you ever go through with the computer route, I suggest JRiver Media Center (at least for a Windows version solution) as it can pass any high definition audio files natively (not transcoded; I know FLACs work) and/or upconverted to something better like uncompressed WAV (hadn’t gotten this to work, though) or FLAC (supposedly, DAC can work too, but I don’t have any to test so…).

Other than that, I don’t know much else…hopefully you get it figured out and working...!

My HT Setup 5.2.2---TV:Samsung Q6F(QN82Q6FNAFXZA); Receiver:Denon AVR-X3400H;Sub:HSU Research VTF-2 MK5;Speakers:ELAC F6.2(x2 -> Front R/L), ELAC C6.2(Center), ELAC B6.2(x2 -> Surround R/L), Onkyo SKB-750X(x2 -> Atmos "height" R/L);Sub #2:Onkyo SKW-750X;Connected Devices:Xfinity X1 HD DVR (TV shows), Sony PS4 Pro (UHD videos, gaming), Magnavox MBP6700(UHD HDR movies), Sony PS3 (UPnP media player), Nintendo Switch (gaming)
post #12382 of 12508 Old 11-15-2019, 02:29 PM

pc and android phone

on pc i run plex and heos app(on the phone and also on denon receiver) sees it as music server. i can play all the files on the HDD connected to the router.now what I want is to remove PC from equation and just open HEOS app in phone(or just on receiver-TV must be on so i could see content) and see music server which will play all music content of HDD.denon receiver is not connected to router via cable or hdd is not connected to denon via any cable. so there should be app capable of creating media server from the HDD connected to router. i dont want to user open WRT firmware . too risky for me...
post #12383 of 12508 Old 11-15-2019, 02:48 PM

Liked: 75
Thumbs up Denon......only DENON.

Good Day,

I have had my Denon X4400H for more than one year. I cannot express how happy I have been with the receiver. So nuch so, I have convinced two other people to buy one.

First, my cousin, with whom I have a running war for the best system. He has been very happy with his new system since I last visited him. He was running the system in surround with DTS NEO 6. That would not do for me. We investigated and found that the connectivity he was using with his smart TV caused him to only receive two-channel stereo. I connected a fiber cable from his TV to the Denon X4400H receiver and set the Denon TV Audio to use the Fiber connection. BAM! We have Dolby Digital + running perfectly!!

Two, my boss. He had a much older Denon receiver that he loved and it died. He was upset that it didn't last more than ten years. I explained to him that ten years is too long to hold onto a receiver with all the advances in technology every year or a few years. Because of my urging to get the Denon X4400H or the equivalent Marantz; he finally settled on the Denon receiver. He didn't tell me for several weeks after he got it until I asked him what he decided to do. At which point, he stopped our lunch meeting to rave about how great the new Denon X4400H receiver sounded. He was so happy that he recommended the receiver to others at the meeting. Another manager stated that he was thinking about an upgrade. I told him to come see me when he was ready to start his search. Of course, I will have only one brand recommendation: Denon.....only DENON.

Have a great day and be kind to each other,
-B
Denon AVR-X4400H AND VIZIO P65-E1
Polk PSW505 and FOCAL Cube subs, Polk RTA 11TL towers in 7.2.4 Speaker Setup
FiOS One Gbps UP/DOWN internet service only.
post #12384 of 12508 Old 11-15-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by b5fan001 View Post
Of course, I will have only one brand recommendation: Denon.....only DENON.
I hope your Denon stays healthy. I have have two Denon AVRs in a row that developed problems within the warranty and required service. But, foolish me, I bought a 4400. So far, it runs well except for periodically acting as if a headphone is plugged in when there is none. I have a can of compressed air waiting for the next time it happens.

There is also an intermittent bug in which I turn on the AVR and there is no sound until I turn it off and then on again. I can live with it.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #12385 of 12508 Old 11-16-2019, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisy View Post
Hello,

Does anyone know if the Denon x2400H receiver support the Dolby Atmos configuration of 3.1.2? As per the manual it support a 5.1.2 configuration but it doesn't say if the two surround speakers on the back are a must for the two front Dolby Atmos speakers to work.

Basically I want a L/R front + Central + Sub + 2 Front Atmos speakers. About to buy Atmos add-on speakers but want to make sure my receiver support them in a 3.1.2 configuration.

Thank you
I was wondering the same thing.I have the X1400H and recently bought two atmos upfiring speakers to go on top of my Kef Q500's.I just needed to know if the atmos speakers are wired to back surround or front ?.My old brain gets confused with all the settings.

Cheers Vinny
post #12386 of 12508 Old 11-16-2019, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny o' connor View Post
I was wondering the same thing.I have the X1400H and recently bought two atmos upfiring speakers to go on top of my Kef Q500's.I just needed to know if the atmos speakers are wired to back surround or front ?.My old brain gets confused with all the settings.

Cheers Vinny
As afrogt already responded in post 12361, yes, a 3.1.2 configuration is possible. Your new Atmos speakers are wired to the SURROUND BACK speaker posts with AMP ASSIGN = Front Dolby as noted on p. 44 of your Owner's manual.
vinny o' connor likes this.
post #12387 of 12508 Old 11-16-2019, 08:47 AM

Thanks Smoothie.Just needed verification.Much appreciated.

Vinny
post #12388 of 12508 Old 11-16-2019, 08:53 AM

Got another quick question.Will the receiver engage atmos even though it's not a 5.1 config or will I have to add 2 "dummy" presence speakers ?
post #12389 of 12508 Old 11-16-2019, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny o' connor View Post
Got another quick question.Will the receiver engage atmos even though it's not a 5.1 config or will I have to add 2 "dummy" presence speakers ?
Yes. Otherwise, the configuration wouldn't be listed as 3.1.2, rather instead 5.1 which would not engage Atmos.
post #12390 of 12508 Old 11-17-2019, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I have an x2400h and a B7 OLED as my bedroom setup. I had the ARC function working until yesterday, when it just stopped. I messed around with it for about an hour and a half until I fixed it, so maybe this will be of help to someone.

I tried swapping cables, toggling on/off the ARC functions in the TV and the AVR. I unplugged, let them sit and then restarted (trying to avoid full resets). Nothing worked until this: I had the TV tuner active and ARC selected. I had the TV audio selected on the AVR (and ARC on as well), then I unplugged every other HDMI connection (I had 5 others: DTV, netgear 550, PS3, TIVO Roamio, philips 7305 UHD player). I seem to recall once they all were unplugged, the TV audio over ARC started to work again. I then plugged the HDMIs back in and all is well now. Diagnosing this was a pain in the backside. I cannot think of why it stopped working, then restarted after the above actions. Any ideas are welcome other than "electrical gremlins"....

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , connectivity , Denon , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , Pioneer , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , subwoofer denon test tone , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , zone 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page