"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 414 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136297Likes

post #12391 of 12527 Old 11-17-2019, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgr View Post
I have an x2400h and a B7 OLED as my bedroom setup. I had the ARC function working until yesterday, when it just stopped. I messed around with it for about an hour and a half until I fixed it, so maybe this will be of help to someone.

I tried swapping cables, toggling on/off the ARC functions in the TV and the AVR. I unplugged, let them sit and then restarted (trying to avoid full resets). Nothing worked until this: I had the TV tuner active and ARC selected. I had the TV audio selected on the AVR (and ARC on as well), then I unplugged every other HDMI connection (I had 5 others: DTV, netgear 550, PS3, TIVO Roamio, philips 7305 UHD player). I seem to recall once they all were unplugged, the TV audio over ARC started to work again. I then plugged the HDMIs back in and all is well now. Diagnosing this was a pain in the backside. I cannot think of why it stopped working, then restarted after the above actions. Any ideas are welcome other than "electrical gremlins"....

thanks!
A perfect reason NOT to use ARC. Too many complications with ARC once there is a problem.

My advice, DON'T use ARC. Optical cable works just as well without any issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12392 of 12527 Old 11-17-2019, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgr View Post
I have an x2400h and a B7 OLED as my bedroom setup. I had the ARC function working until yesterday, when it just stopped. I messed around with it for about an hour and a half until I fixed it, so maybe this will be of help to someone.

I tried swapping cables, toggling on/off the ARC functions in the TV and the AVR. I unplugged, let them sit and then restarted (trying to avoid full resets). Nothing worked until this: I had the TV tuner active and ARC selected. I had the TV audio selected on the AVR (and ARC on as well), then I unplugged every other HDMI connection (I had 5 others: DTV, netgear 550, PS3, TIVO Roamio, philips 7305 UHD player). I seem to recall once they all were unplugged, the TV audio over ARC started to work again. I then plugged the HDMIs back in and all is well now. Diagnosing this was a pain in the backside. I cannot think of why it stopped working, then restarted after the above actions. Any ideas are welcome other than "electrical gremlins"....

thanks!

ARC is extremely finicky, and there is no rhyme or reason to why it stops working. It’s extremely frustrating and shouldn’t be used. People do criticize me for this point of view because I am vocal about it, but there is no standard for ARC, it just works or doesn’t or can work for a long time and then just crap out like yours did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
post #12393 of 12527 Old 11-17-2019, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question

I have a X3400, and the left channel emits buzzing after a few minutes of playing. I've already swapped cables, speakers, etc. The issue is on the left channel (possibly the amp?). I'm only running LCR at the moment, in which my L+R are in full range.

My question is this: Is it possible to re-program another channel to act as 'L'? If so, how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12394 of 12527 Old 11-17-2019, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
ARC is extremely finicky, and there is no rhyme or reason to why it stops working. It’s extremely frustrating and shouldn’t be used. People do criticize me for this point of view because I am vocal about it, but there is no standard for ARC, it just works or doesn’t or can work for a long time and then just crap out like yours did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I want to be able to get more than what the optical could deliver from the apps on the TV. I was this close to going back to optical (like on my C6 / x4500 system) when I figured it out. I do agree that it ARC a POS implementation. But, this saves (short term) me from buying yet another device to deliver app content, when the TV can do it. Long term, I'll likely have a proper box to handle 4k streams
post #12395 of 12527 Old 11-17-2019, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 759 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22927 Post(s)
Liked: 12543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Cosmos View Post
I have a X3400, and the left channel emits buzzing after a few minutes of playing. I've already swapped cables, speakers, etc. The issue is on the left channel (possibly the amp?). I'm only running LCR at the moment, in which my L+R are in full range.

My question is this: Is it possible to re-program another channel to act as 'L'? If so, how?
Yup. With the AVR powered to Standby, move the Front L speaker wires to the Surround L speaker posts and then power on the AVR and set AMP ASSIGN = Bi-Amp.
post #12396 of 12527 Old 11-18-2019, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can the X4400H tone-map and downscale 4K HDR movies from a Windows HTPC to a 1080P projector that does not support HDR?
post #12397 of 12527 Old 11-18-2019, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
A perfect reason NOT to use ARC. Too many complications with ARC once there is a problem.

My advice, DON'T use ARC. Optical cable works just as well without any issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I have a x2400 and OLED C8 as my bedroom setup. Optical does not work as well if you want to use DD+/Dolby Atmos when watching Netflix, Prime and Vudu streaming from the OLED smart apps to AVR.

Afro GT
post #12398 of 12527 Old 11-18-2019, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prognathous View Post
Can the X4400H tone-map and downscale 4K HDR movies from a Windows HTPC to a 1080P projector that does not support HDR?
No. The HTPC should recognize the display is only 1080p and only pass 1080p.
post #12399 of 12527 Old 11-18-2019, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
@jdsmoothie - I think the main issue is with the HDR tones. The HTPC isn't connected directly to the display, it's connected to the receiver. And if the latter is configured to support HDR I don't think the HTPC can detect that the display behind it doesn't support HDR.
post #12400 of 12527 Old 11-18-2019, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the X4300 purchased in 2017.
I have an issue where the dialog is crisp and clear and then sounds like it's underwater, then back to crisp and clear.

I am using ATV 4k in 5.1 out, HDMI cable in Home theater direct bookshelf level 3 front and center, surround back and surround are HTD Level 2 ceilings.

I had this issue with my previous pioneer amp and still am experiencing it with this amp as well.
I had the previous version ATV- still did it.
I found I'm having the same issue with my blue ray and another input, I have tried different hdmi cables, different center channel speaker. I'm at a loss what to try. I feel like everything has been replaced and it still does it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve
post #12401 of 12527 Old 11-19-2019, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prognathous View Post
@jdsmoothie - I think the main issue is with the HDR tones. The HTPC isn't connected directly to the display, it's connected to the receiver. And if the latter is configured to support HDR I don't think the HTPC can detect that the display behind it doesn't support HDR.
All HDMI components are in a chain. The HTPC should be able to detect the display in the chain as the AVR does not down rez 4k video as noted on p. 293 Owner's Manual.
Prognathous likes this.
post #12402 of 12527 Old 11-19-2019, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli nut View Post
I have the X4300 purchased in 2017.
I have an issue where the dialog is crisp and clear and then sounds like it's underwater, then back to crisp and clear.

I am using ATV 4k in 5.1 out, HDMI cable in Home theater direct bookshelf level 3 front and center, surround back and surround are HTD Level 2 ceilings.

I had this issue with my previous pioneer amp and still am experiencing it with this amp as well.
I had the previous version ATV- still did it.
I found I'm having the same issue with my blue ray and another input, I have tried different hdmi cables, different center channel speaker. I'm at a loss what to try. I feel like everything has been replaced and it still does it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve
Oops! Wrong thread. This thread discusses the 2017 models (eg. X4400H). Please repost in the 2016 Denon AVR Owner's thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...hread-faq.html
post #12403 of 12527 Old 11-19-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yup. With the AVR powered to Standby, move the Front L speaker wires to the Surround L speaker posts and then power on the AVR and set AMP ASSIGN = Bi-Amp.
Thanks so much! This worked, but the issue persisted. Basically I have a static noise on the left channel. Replaced cables, speakers, etc, still persists. The static comes when the system is playing for a few minutes. Is it possible to use another channel as L somehow? Any recommendations?
post #12404 of 12527 Old 11-19-2019, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6608 Post(s)
Liked: 6023
Quote:
Thanks so much! This worked, but the issue persisted. Basically I have a static noise on the left channel. Replaced cables, speakers, etc, still persists. The static comes when the system is playing for a few minutes. Is it possible to use another channel as L somehow? Any recommendations?
To me, this suggests that it may be your source or the input on the AVR. Have you tested with different sources and different inputs? I know you have swapped cables and speakers....
Madmax67 likes this.
post #12405 of 12527 Old 11-19-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
To me, this suggests that it may be your source or the input on the AVR. Have you tested with different sources and different inputs? I know you have swapped cables and speakers....
Good suggestion, I have not tested it on other inputs. Will try it!
post #12406 of 12527 Old 11-19-2019, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I contacted Denon support and requested that they add the ability for HDR10+ pass-through. They said they would pass it along as a request, but felt that DV support was enough. I'm pretty sure its possible for all models that currently support DV pass-through to also support HDR10+. We would just need as many as possible to request it for it to gain traction. I do believe this would be a nice feature to have added since many TV's now support this and much content is now available with HDR10+ rather than Dolby Vision Including all Amazon Content.

Vizio P65-F1
Denon AVR-X1400h
Fire TV 4k
XBox One S
Tivo Romeo
post #12407 of 12527 Old 11-19-2019, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Issue with Denon handshake

Came home today and my Denon X4400H would not work on any of my zones (have 3). It would briefly work on the main zone, then just no signal. Same with zone 2. I think I narrowed it down to this. I have my HDMI's from the wall where the TVs (all Samsung) are mounted running into a closet where they hook up to the receiver - all active HDMI cables running the correct direction. So I took the Denon out of the closet and hooked it directly up to the TV, works great. But when I go to hook it up in the closet, I get no signal. So there is something up with connecting a 3 foot HDMI from my devices (AppleTV, etc) to the receiver, then another 3 foot HDMI from the receiver to the long active run, then to another 3 foot cable to the TV. (So i think you can see the set up - basically have HDMI keystones in the closet and in the wall) I hooked the BluRay, AppleTV, XBox, etc. to the wall keystone jack to bypass the receiver and they all threw a perfect signal at the TV from inside the closet. What's killing me is I've had this setup for six months and now this issue randomly pops up. What am I missing here?
post #12408 of 12527 Old 11-20-2019, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 206
You have removed then reinserted all the HDMI connections?
Unplugged the AVR for a few minutes then plugged it in again?
post #12409 of 12527 Old 11-20-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
You have removed then reinserted all the HDMI connections?
Unplugged the AVR for a few minutes then plugged it in again?

Yep and even switched out the cables thinking one of the 3 foot ones was the culprit. No luck. Going to try to hook it back up tonight properly so we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12410 of 12527 Old 11-20-2019, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.m.h View Post
Came home today and my Denon X4400H would not work on any of my zones (have 3). It would briefly work on the main zone, then just no signal. Same with zone 2. I think I narrowed it down to this. I have my HDMI's from the wall where the TVs (all Samsung) are mounted running into a closet where they hook up to the receiver - all active HDMI cables running the correct direction. So I took the Denon out of the closet and hooked it directly up to the TV, works great. But when I go to hook it up in the closet, I get no signal. So there is something up with connecting a 3 foot HDMI from my devices (AppleTV, etc) to the receiver, then another 3 foot HDMI from the receiver to the long active run, then to another 3 foot cable to the TV. (So i think you can see the set up - basically have HDMI keystones in the closet and in the wall) I hooked the BluRay, AppleTV, XBox, etc. to the wall keystone jack to bypass the receiver and they all threw a perfect signal at the TV from inside the closet. What's killing me is I've had this setup for six months and now this issue randomly pops up. What am I missing here?
Refer to post 3 item 11(k) and do an HDMI HDCP reset. You can also try changing the power on order of the HDMI components in the chain although generally what works best to ensure a proper handshaking occurs is: TV, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, source.
post #12411 of 12527 Old 11-20-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Refer to post 3 item 11(k) and do an HDMI HDCP reset. You can also try changing the power on order of the HDMI components in the chain although generally what works best to ensure a proper handshaking occurs is: TV, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, source.

Great tip. Will try that sequence and do the reset.

post #12412 of 12527 Old 11-20-2019, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loungesong View Post
All of the speakers are wired directly to my receiver. There are no external heos devices involved in the problem. This is what it looks like on the phone. Problem is zone1/zone2.
I still have not resolved this issue. It really reared its ugly head during a party we had. Was using internal HEOS as source for Zone1 and Zone2. Zone2 was lagging about 0.25 seconds behind which really made it sound terrible as they are in adjacent rooms which are open to each other. Someone asked before about sync issues with other HEOS speakers. If I link other HEOS Links/Amps I have no issues except with Zone2 on my AVR-3400H using internal HEOS.

Denon has not really offered much support with this other than "How about HEOS in Zone 1 and 2 without having to use All Zone Audio (bad quality). You do not have to use All Zone Stereo. You need to makes sure zone 2 setup hdmi audio is set from through to PCM under General Settings - Zone 2 Setup."

This did not fix the problem.
post #12413 of 12527 Old 11-20-2019, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
I hope your Denon stays healthy. I have have two Denon AVRs in a row that developed problems within the warranty and required service. But, foolish me, I bought a 4400. So far, it runs well except for periodically acting as if a headphone is plugged in when there is none. I have a can of compressed air waiting for the next time it happens.

There is also an intermittent bug in which I turn on the AVR and there is no sound until I turn it off and then on again. I can live with it.
Hello,

I have experienced that issue also. Turned it off and then back on....it worked again! I have a ROKU plugged into the Media Player port now. More bang for the buck with all the awesome streaming options including Disney+. I just wish they had decided to broadcast in ATMOS instead of 5.1. I didn't find any ATMOS content on D+. Did anyone else?

But I digress........x4400H makes Godzilla stomp through my Media Room!! The ATMOS from the 4K disc just fills my room. I LOVE my Denon!

Have a great day and be kind to each other,
-B
Denon AVR-X4400H AND VIZIO P65-E1
Polk PSW505 and FOCAL Cube subs, Polk RTA 11TL towers anchoring a 7.2.4 Setup, Philips BDP7502 4K/UHD Player, FiOS One Gbps Internet
post #12414 of 12527 Old 11-20-2019, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.m.h View Post
Using keystone HDMI jacks may seem like a nice clean install idea... but anytime you add additional connection jacks to any setup... and especially HDMI... you are asking for possible issues. Are they Monoprice ones by chance? Monoprice keystone coupler connectors are notoriously glitchy.... If possible, I would forgo the keystones for another type of access wall plate where the cable just gets routed through cleanly without being subject to the possible signal degradation of the keystone jack itself and its additional 2 connections.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #12415 of 12527 Old 11-21-2019, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking for information about Denon AVR-X4400H from current owners.

Hi. Ive ownewd this receiver for more yhan a tear now i believe. I had an Onkyo before it, the second that had mysteriously stopped working in less than a year and was too agraviated with this to try to talk with them again so I decided to cut my losses and buy another brand. The 4400 had just been released about a month or so when I bought mine. It was hard to find many reviews at the time and talking with a guy on Crutchfild, I was made aware that it had just been slashed down almost to half price and that he thought it was one of the best then available with the ability to run 7.2.4 setup- which was my end goal with buying this new piece. I bought it right then and haven't had a single issue whatsoever. Ive configured it to process all channels other than than two front speakers which are powered through the Pioneer Elite SX-N30 that can also be used individually when im wanting to listen to hifi stereo music. Ive considered upgrading that piece to something with a bit more power and robustness but don't wanna screw up a good enough situation, after having so many problems with the previous three Onkyo home theater eceivers. I was able to inexpensively setup my space and meet my whims, which was at the time, before the release of a single receiver capable of natively being configured for 7.2.4. Plus I could listen to my stereo music independently without having to compromis with giving up what i felt was lost when I've used a home theater amp to play simple 2 did music- or at of the preprocessing or filters that I've never been a big fan of. So- I'm happy with this and have had no issues for the entirety of using this sound output. Until this week when I was presented with a rather dumbfounding thing to troubleshoot. Both inexplicable and unexplainable- that I wanted to give some back story in order to be taken seriously when I ask for this information from other current owners of this receiver.

So- as my odd request to current owners: could you remove the single round knob on the left side of the receiver, just beneath the DENON logo and take a picture of how it looks inside and post it as a comment or within a private message? I'd be immensely grateful for any and all visual references in which to compare to my own.

I don't want to upset anyone or prompt unnecessary condescension- I'm completely serious. I'll explain briefly. For the last few years I've had unexplained occurrences with things being moved, tampered with or gone missing. For years now ive had some dsturbing events occur to have me believe I have a reoccurring home invasion problem. Nothing too major, usually something like the contents in my canvas tote have been removed and replaced back inside- except now the bag is turned inside out but otherwise sitting where is left it and with all the contents present. Or having every cap twisted open on the untouched bottles of water that were on my cupboard. Things previously organized would be askew is some if there's a box set with 5 seasons and they were in numerical order, I'll notice that they're now in another order such as 1-5-2-4-3. As you see these are things that seem trivial and nonthreatening and if I called the police or reported these things I don't believe I'd be treated with respect and be taken seriously. It all appears a little too nutty, right? So this is the second occurrence involving a receive in my entertainment room. Not the same one but a similar event. About 6 to 8 months ago I came into the room and noticed the same knob had been removed from my Pioneer amp and I couldn't understand where it went and why I couldn't find it somewhere close by, as it appeared to have fallen off somehow. In this instance, it was apparently on vacation until sometime the following week when I waslked into the room and it was just sitting on the floor in front of the cabinet just beneath the receiver. No explaination, no note alongside to give an explanation or to apologize. I live alone and to my knowledge, have never given a key to a friend to house-sit- or even just given them so another person to even open the door or handle in any sense. I don't think it's my cat. She's quite sassy and has a wicked sense for practical jokes- but I just can't give her credit for these things. This brings me to the current predicament involving the DENON knob. I was sitting in the room, playing fetch with my cat when I looked and noticed the knob was again removed from another receiver. I went over to investigate and it was just like before except this time it was sitting just off to the side, on the carpet about two feet away. I was too tired and confused to deal with it at that moment. So I just picked the knob up and sat it down onto a shelf with some blu-ray movies. Tonight when I was just about to reintroduce the two, I decided to take a quick snapshot of the occurrence to send to my friend and bitch about what had happened again with no explanation.. But after I had taken a few pictures and looked through to find the least blurry of thge group to send him, I noticed something odd. This prompted me to turn on the flash and get a more complete look of the inside hole where the knob should have been. Which brings me to now be asking for anyone, at all, to share a couple options to compare and hopefully will also be seen in other receivers if the same model.

Thanks in advance for spending the time to humor a stranger and affording this stranger the consideration and selflessness to relinquish the valuable time on just doing a solid nice thing for a complete stranger- who you may not be sure isn't a little disturbed emotoolnally or just being a trash-troll piece-o-s**t. My deepest thsnks in advance.
post #12416 of 12527 Old 11-21-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:

This fixed my issue. Thank you appreciate it

post #12417 of 12527 Old 11-21-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Using keystone HDMI jacks may seem like a nice clean install idea... but anytime you add additional connection jacks to any setup... and especially HDMI... you are asking for possible issues. Are they Monoprice ones by chance? Monoprice keystone coupler connectors are notoriously glitchy.... If possible, I would forgo the keystones for another type of access wall plate where the cable just gets routed through cleanly without being subject to the possible signal degradation of the keystone jack itself and its additional 2 connections.

Yeah- kind of kicking myself for that now. They are monoprice but easy enough to swap out if they fail.

post #12418 of 12527 Old 11-21-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Hi Alan, changing the input didnt work. Ouch.
post #12419 of 12527 Old 11-21-2019, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6608 Post(s)
Liked: 6023
Quote:
Hi Alan, changing the input didnt work. Ouch.
Changed input and source?
post #12420 of 12527 Old 11-22-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 54
2 display question on x3400h. I've never run 2 tvs off 1 rec before.

If I'm running 4k tv on hdmi 1, and a 1080p tv on hdmi 2, does the 3400 lower the output on tv1 to match tv2?

Or if I'm running 4k tv1 and 4k tv2 , will it output 4k to both or lower tv2?

Does it send proper audio to both? As in dolby atmos?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , connectivity , Denon , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , Pioneer , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , subwoofer denon test tone , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , zone 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page