"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 417 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136288Likes

post #12481 of 12515 Old 12-01-2019, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2307 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post
Just got a blinking red light of death. Followed procedure, removed all speakers, initialized, also removed all cabling, still in protection mode.

Just curious, I had recently put in a temporary center channel while another is being repaired. When I ran calibration, the mic said that the speaker polarity was wrong. I double checked both ends and cabling was correct, however, reversing the R/w on the center speaker end cabling did in fact make Audyssey happy and it sounded fine.

I just did all this a few days ago so I can't help but wonder...any chance running the center channel in this way caused this?

I'm under warranty, just not looking forward to the shipping cost and the weeks without a unit.
Doubt it although best to (once verifying correct cabling) just ignore the out of phase message from the receiver and just continue with the setup. Some speakers have a driver wired out of phase internally on purpose for example. Either way that shouldn't have damaged anything. Also check for any local authorized repair facilities in your area. I'd Google it then verify with Denon that they are actually still an authorized local repair shop.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 12-02-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12482 of 12515 Old 12-02-2019, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22893 Post(s)
Liked: 12518
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post
Just got a blinking red light of death. Followed procedure, removed all speakers, initialized, also removed all cabling, still in protection mode.

Just curious, I had recently put in a temporary center channel while another is being repaired. When I ran calibration, the mic said that the speaker polarity was wrong. I double checked both ends and cabling was correct, however, reversing the R/w on the center speaker end cabling did in fact make Audyssey happy and it sounded fine.

I just did all this a few days ago so I can't help but wonder...any chance running the center channel in this way caused this?

I'm under warranty, just not looking forward to the shipping cost and the weeks without a unit.
Perhaps using the phrase "red light of death" is appropriate with TVs, but not necessarily with the AVR as, although perhaps not true in your case, the most common result for a "fast" flashing red light is simply a loose speaker wire from one speaker post touching another speaker post which is easily resolved. As your unit is going to protection mode with nothing connected, it more likely means amp failure, although still worth referring to post 5 and doing a few microprocessor resets in a row prior to shipping the unit off to a repair facility to see if the issue can be resolved. If not, then note that in most cases, although perhaps costing more in shipping, shipping to a factory repair facility (eg. United Radio, Syracuse, NY) will generally result in a faster turn around time.
post #12483 of 12515 Old 12-02-2019, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Perhaps using the phrase "red light of death" is appropriate with TVs, but not necessarily with the AVR as, although perhaps not true in your case, the most common result for a "fast" flashing red light is simply a loose speaker wire from one speaker post touching another speaker post which is easily resolved. As your unit is going to protection mode with nothing connected, it more likely means amp failure, although still worth referring to post 5 and doing a few microprocessor resets in a row prior to shipping the unit off to a repair facility to see if the issue can be resolved. If not, then note that in most cases, although perhaps costing more in shipping, shipping to a factory repair facility (eg. United Radio, Syracuse, NY) will generally result in a faster turn around time.
Thank you both. Did some more testing today and it looks like she's dead. Even after being unplugged and a few more resets, nothing else wired in, the blinking red is back. I did catch a slight sniff of that electronic burning smell (not heavy) that we all know so well, when the issue first happened, in my rack, which sometimes is just heat...but something tells me either the amp or the board just went out.

Little bummed as this is the second issue with this unit in less than 2 years (first being HDMI board issue). AVRs used to be built to last 10 or even 15 years. I moved to Denon from Onkyo after all their HDMI issues. Hopefully this is the last time it needs fixed, at least under warranty but if something breaks after 3 years I'll be even more disappointed.

I'll pop back in with results once I've got 'em.
Madmax67 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12484 of 12515 Old 12-02-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra5wood View Post
Is anyone streaming the new Amazon HD music platform thru their X4400H? If so, how are you able to do so? Does it require additional external equipment?
You need to create a Heos account with Denon. Then you have to download the Heos app from the Playstore or Apple onto you cellphone or tablet, login and then login to Amazon Music via the app. Now with Heos engaged on your X4400H you're all set to go.
simplepinoi177 and Madmax67 like this.
post #12485 of 12515 Old 12-02-2019, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The 6400h is rated at 140W per channel at 8 OHms with 2 channels driven.

What's the output per channel if I'm using it for 6 speakers only at 8 ohms; powering my back surrounds and 4 ceiling atmos.

My fronts and side surrounds are powered by the emotiva XPA5
post #12486 of 12515 Old 12-02-2019, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post

What's the output per channel if I'm using it for 6 speakers only at 8 ohms; powering my back surrounds and 4 ceiling atmos.

Much more than those 6 speakers are likely to ever need (~100W).
mjwagner and Asgard1an like this.
post #12487 of 12515 Old 12-02-2019, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
AVR-X2400 Surround Not Working with TV

Greetings all!

This one has been tough to diagnose, but I must be missing something. Tested Surround (5.1) with Receiver and all tests work. Playing anything from TV... tried Netflix test and Youtube test, surround is not working. Here is my setup.

Apple TV - into HDMI 3 on LG OLED
Optical Out from LG OLED to Denon Optical 1 - TV
Denon HDMI (out) Monitor/ARC - LG OLED HDMI 2 (ARC)
In Denon Setup, I have TV Audo input set to Optical 1 - TV

So assuming that Optical should carry surround, but still not working. Any thoughts or suggestions? Is there a better way to set this up?

Many thanks for any help!

Stacy
post #12488 of 12515 Old 12-02-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post

I use my x6400h to drive a full 7.2.4 setup, all 8 ohm speakers (def tech ) with no external amps. Don’t think I’ve ever had it past 70...and at that level it is freakin loud...LOL.
gregoryperkins likes this.

Mark
post #12489 of 12515 Old 12-02-2019, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by strydersilverton View Post
Greetings all!

This one has been tough to diagnose, but I must be missing something. Tested Surround (5.1) with Receiver and all tests work. Playing anything from TV... tried Netflix test and Youtube test, surround is not working. Here is my setup.

So assuming that Optical should carry surround, but still not working. Any thoughts or suggestions? Is there a better way to set this up?

Stacy
Do you have the audio output set to PCM?

If yes, change it to Auto.
post #12490 of 12515 Old 12-03-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
I use my x6400h to drive a full 7.2.4 setup, all 8 ohm speakers (def tech ) with no external amps. Don’t think I’ve ever had it past 70...and at that level it is freakin loud...LOL.
I have a 6400 to running 5.4.4. I don't need an external amp to make myself deaf.

Depending on the source, I run close to reference. Hell Boy streamed from Amazon was extremely loud, I think around -20. I run it at -5 for most BD discs.
mjwagner likes this.
post #12491 of 12515 Old 12-03-2019, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 6590 Post(s)
Liked: 5999
Quote:
Greetings all!

Stacy
My question;

Why is your Apple TV connected to your TV and not your AVR?
mjwagner likes this.
post #12492 of 12515 Old 12-03-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Much more than those 6 speakers are likely to ever need (~100W).
Quite so! And it is also worth noting that it would be extremely rare that all 6 speakers would need full power at the same instant, and unlikely that the surround speakers would EVER need full power. Unless you are playing computer battle games...

The "continuous power" delivered by an amplifier only happens on the test bench. For short periods like bass drum beats or cymbal crashes the energy stored in the large filter capacitors in the power supply can deliver much more than the "continuous" rating.

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
post #12493 of 12515 Old 12-03-2019, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Greetings all!

Stacy
If the AVR is only receiving stereo 2.0 from the optical input, then that is what the TV is passing. Check the TV settings.
post #12494 of 12515 Old 12-03-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
My question;

Why is your Apple TV connected to your TV and not your AVR?
That is a good question... would I be better off doing that? I felt like a straight connection might be better, but sounds like I should connect it to the AVR. BTW... I did finally get the surround sound to work by using the (ARC) connection and configuring that on the OLED.

So... plan to connect the Apple TV to my AVR through HDMI to the TV input and keep the (ARC) HDMI connection from the OLED to (ARC) on the AVR. Sound right?

Thanks for the help!
post #12495 of 12515 Old 12-03-2019, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Lightbulb Disney+ 4K UHD Video Issue Found.........and Resolved

I will try to make this short. My receiver is a Denon AVR-X4400H.

I have watched The Mandalorian (had to at that to my dictionary) on Disney+, using my Roku since my Vizio doesn't have it yet, multiple times. When I logged into Disney+, all looked well. When I started The Mandalorian, the Vizio went black. Doing some troubleshooting, I found that I could watch Avatar in HD, just no UHD content.

I should interject that I was previously watching The Mandalorian with my Roku connected to my TV. I decided to move the Roku HDMI output to the Media Streaming HDMI input on my AVR. That is when the issue popped up.

I started research and found that the first thing I needed to do is set the HDMI input from my receiver to "Full UHD" on the Vizio P65-e1.

More research showed me that I should try changing my Roku Video output from "Auto" to the highest possible 4K that the Roku can produce(something like 4K HDR 60fps). I still got a blank screen.

Last thing was going into the Denon and set the Output resolution to highest setting. I changed to the "Enhanced" 4K signal format and support resolution to 4K 60p, 4K 50p.

That did the trick and now I can watch The Mandalorian in glorious 4K.

It was late when I finished so I went to bed. I have not had a chance to see what all my content looks like. I will test over the weekend.

If anyone has some technical thoughts about the changes I made, let me know. For the record, I don't have an issue with the "soap opera effect"; if that is the only concern, we don't have to discuss it.

Have a great day and be kind to each other,
-B
Denon AVR-X4400H AND VIZIO P65-E1
Polk PSW505 and FOCAL Cube subs, Polk RTA 11TL towers in 7.2.4 Speaker Setup
FiOS One Gbps UP/DOWN internet service only.
post #12496 of 12515 Old 12-03-2019, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 6590 Post(s)
Liked: 5999
Quote:
That is a good question... would I be better off doing that? I felt like a straight connection might be better, but sounds like I should connect it to the AVR. BTW... I did finally get the surround sound to work by using the (ARC) connection and configuring that on the OLED.

So... plan to connect the Apple TV to my AVR through HDMI to the TV input and keep the (ARC) HDMI connection from the OLED to (ARC) on the AVR. Sound right?

Thanks for the help!
Yes, the AVR should be the "hub" of the system, with all sources connected to it with a single HDMI out to the TV.

Since you have an Apple TV (4K, I presume?) there is really no need for the ARC connection. The only reason you would need ARC is if you use any of the apps on the smart TV, but the ATV should have that covered.
post #12497 of 12515 Old 12-03-2019, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5fan001 View Post
I will try to make this short. My receiver is a Denon AVR-X4400H.

I have watched The Mandalorian (had to at that to my dictionary) on Disney+, using my Roku since my Vizio doesn't have it yet, multiple times. When I logged into Disney+, all looked well. When I started The Mandalorian, the Vizio went black. Doing some troubleshooting, I found that I could watch Avatar in HD, just no UHD content.

I should interject that I was previously watching The Mandalorian with my Roku connected to my TV. I decided to move the Roku HDMI output to the Media Streaming HDMI input on my AVR. That is when the issue popped up.

I started research and found that the first thing I needed to do is set the HDMI input from my receiver to "Full UHD" on the Vizio P65-e1.

More research showed me that I should try changing my Roku Video output from "Auto" to the highest possible 4K that the Roku can produce(something like 4K HDR 60fps). I still got a blank screen.

Last thing was going into the Denon and set the Output resolution to highest setting. I changed to the "Enhanced" 4K signal format and support resolution to 4K 60p, 4K 50p.

That did the trick and now I can watch The Mandalorian in glorious 4K.

It was late when I finished so I went to bed. I have not had a chance to see what all my content looks like. I will test over the weekend.

If anyone has some technical thoughts about the changes I made, let me know. For the record, I don't have an issue with the "soap opera effect"; if that is the only concern, we don't have to discuss it.
Lots of helpful information is provided in the first 8 posts of this thread to include the solution to your original issue in post 4 item 7.
post #12498 of 12515 Old 12-04-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lots of helpful information is provided in the first 8 posts of this thread to include the solution to your original issue in post 4 item 7.
Interesting, I'm not sure if it is the same thing or not on my x6400. I can't get Disney 4k on the Roku which is on media player, but I can on a fire tv which is on DVD, I figured it was a problem with the app. The Roku works fine for other 4k content on Netflix and Amazon. I'm using a LG B7 and a JVC 520, one or the other.
post #12499 of 12515 Old 12-04-2019, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Interesting, I'm not sure if it is the same thing or not on my x6400. I can't get Disney 4k on the Roku which is on media player, but I can on a fire tv which is on DVD, I figured it was a problem with the app. The Roku works fine for other 4k content on Netflix and Amazon. I'm using a LG B7 and a JVC 520, one or the other.
https://community.roku.com/t5/Channe...ce/td-p/519706
post #12500 of 12515 Old 12-04-2019, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Tried searching but Denon's website doesn't include a change log for the most recent update. Can someone please tell me what are the changes and is the update safe? Thanks
post #12501 of 12515 Old 12-04-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 4253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_N85 View Post
Tried searching but Denon's website doesn't include a change log for the most recent update. Can someone please tell me what are the changes and is the update safe? Thanks
The FW updates are in the first several posts of this thread, and JD updates them as soon as he's able to find out.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #12502 of 12515 Old 12-04-2019, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_N85 View Post
Read the first 8 posts! That will give you the info instead of someone telling you

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
mjwagner likes this.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
post #12503 of 12515 Old 12-06-2019, 09:12 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
But, WAIT! There's MORE!!

While this does address a Roku issue, it happening to owners of Denon AVR hardware. I hope this is allowed to remain in this thread.

"Prior to Software Release 9.2.0, it was only necessary to select the Roku input and press the Home button on the Roku remote in order for Roku to wake up, establish an HDMI connection and display the home screen."

I found that rebooting the Roku while connected to the AVR corrected the problem for the session. But, every time I turn on my system, I must reboot the Roku.

FROM ROKU: "Thanks for the patience here while we've looked into the issue you reported. Please visit Settings>System>System update>Check now to check for a system update. This should help resolve the issue you were seeing."

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Possible-Display-Solution-HDCP-Handshake/td-p/524870
https://community.roku.com/t5/Playba...-s/td-p/525367

-B

Last edited by b5fan001; 12-06-2019 at 09:21 AM.
post #12504 of 12515 Old 12-06-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
See my response to jdsmoothie! It has links and it has the solution that Roku Community Support has offered. There is a new Software update.
Hope this helps!

While this does address a Roku issue, it happening to owners of Denon AVR hardware. I hope this is allowed to remain in this thread.
gregoryperkins likes this.

-B

Last edited by b5fan001; 12-06-2019 at 09:22 AM.
post #12505 of 12515 Old 12-06-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
See my response to jdsmoothie! It has links and it has the solution that Roku Community Support has offered. There is a new Software update.
Hope this helps!

Agreed. I updated my Roku last night. We'll see if it works after more testing.

Also, why should I put the output resolution of the Roku to Auto? I prefer to put it on 4K HDR 60Hz, but, for some reason, it wants to switch to Auto even though Auto uses 4K HDR at 60Hz.
b5fan001 likes this.

Chet
post #12506 of 12515 Old 12-06-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hope this helps!

Thanks, it's working now that I updated without doing anything to the x6400! At least it works on the LG B7, I'll test the projector later.
b5fan001 likes this.
post #12507 of 12515 Old 12-06-2019, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi all, I'm having a problem with my new open box x4400h. I've already been discussing it on r/hometheater, but there haven't been many people responding so I thought I'd post a link here to it in hopes that one of you guys could steer me in the right direction. Heres the link and thanks for any help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/comments/e6dl23/question_about_speaker_impendance/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
post #12508 of 12515 Old 12-06-2019, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Foy View Post
Hi all, I'm having a problem with my new open box x4400h. I've already been discussing it on r/hometheater, but there haven't been many people responding so I thought I'd post a link here to it in hopes that one of you guys could steer me in the right direction. Heres the link and thanks for any help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater...m_source=share
You should paste your questions instead of linking to an outside link.

mrtickleuk likes this.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
post #12509 of 12515 Old 12-06-2019, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Foy View Post

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater...m_source=share
You should paste your questions instead of linking to an outside link.

Ok where to start. I first noticed this noise from the front right speaker while watching transformers dark of the moon on 4k blu ray at 1:30:31 in the movie.

Listen to Strange noise coming from new speaker by greg84 on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/greg-foy-6784...oming-from-new

I initially thought it was my new elac b5.2 speakers, but then I switched the two fronts and the noise stayed on the right side. That meant it had something to do with the channel and not the individual speaker.

Then as suggested on reddit I tried swapping the surrounds and front left and right with each other. Then play the part of the movie again in multi channel stereo to see if the sound moved to the surround. It did. After turning off the avr and reconnecting things the right way I noticed the strange sound was gone and thought it must have been a bad connection that got sorted by disconnecting and reconnecting the terminals. But the next day I tried watching the next transformers movie, age of extinction (just bought the set) and right in the beginning I noticed that I was hearing a different but equally disturbing noise coming from the top left front atmos speaker.

At that point I started to believe that maybe something is wrong with a specific amp in the avr and that unplugged it and and swapping the speakers at the terminals prompted the avr to reassign that amp to the new affected channel.

Then today I hooked up my old avr the onkyo tx-nr575 to test and the problem wasnt there. But again in order to do it I had to unplug, disconnect and reconnect the denon. Afterwards I tested the problem scene again and now the same noise I was hearing from the top front left speaker (the one that was different from the original front right) I'm hearing from both surrounds (more predominantly the right, but a bit on the left too).

Now unless I'm wrong about how the avr works then that would mean that my thought about having a bad amp that's being assigned to a different channel everytime I unplug the denon is false based on the fact that this time its 2 channels that are affected.

I only bought this receiver last month. It was a best buy market place seller who offers a 90 day warranty, so I'll be covered, but I dont like the idea of sending it away without knowing for sure that there's something wrong with it and not just my configuration.

Any ideas?
post #12510 of 12515 Old 12-07-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
Agreed. I updated my Roku last night. We'll see if it works after more testing.

Also, why should I put the output resolution of the Roku to Auto? I prefer to put it on 4K HDR 60Hz, but, for some reason, it wants to switch to Auto even though Auto uses 4K HDR at 60Hz.
I set my Roku for the 4K HDR 60Hz. It hasn't reverted to "Auto" since I did that. I will keep checking for any changes.

I updated last evening and it is working for me as well......so far. I didn't get much of a chance to run through multiple on/off cycles.
But, I'll stop posting about this until it shows up again.

Glad we were all able to help each other!!

-B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , connectivity , Denon , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , Pioneer , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , subwoofer denon test tone , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , zone 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page