AVS Forum banner
2M views 15K replies 2K participants last post by  iafzal 
#1 · (Edited)
"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8)

2017 Denon AVR models ---> S530BT/S730H/S930H/X1400H/X2400H/X3400H/X4400H/X6400H

The Denon + Marantz Group (ie. D+M Group) USA has started to release information on the new 2017 Denon models starting with the three new "S" series models. The lower "X" series will be announced next with the higher "X" series announced later this summer and released in August/September. A new “flagship” model to replace the X7200WA (ie. X8500H) may be announced at CES 2018 (Jan) and then released in the spring of 2018 with 13 on board amps and will have its own separate Owner's thread.

What's new or to be added via firmware update for the 2017 models?

S530BT
- HDMI Control/ARC/TV Audio Switching (added for the first time on this lowest model)
- Bluetooth Auto-Select (ON/OFF – prevents Bluetooth devices from powering on the AVR or selecting Bluetooth source when in range)
- Restart - (pressing/holding the power on button in lieu of having to pull power cable)
- 4K Signal Format (not a setting on this model rather it simply internally factory defaults to Enhanced (4K/60Hz video) and cannot be changed

S730H/S930H/X1400H/X2400H/X3400H
- AK4458VN 32 bit DAC (primary); X4400H/X6400H feature (2ea)
- PCM5100 32 bit DAC (Network); also for X4400H/X6400H
- Bluetooth Version 3.0, Class 1 - increased from 33' up to 98ft/30m
- Audyssey MultEQ Editor iOS/Android phone app ($20) - (first introduced for use with the 2016 models) using the Audyssey mic included with the AVR, provides the ability to customize target curves, save them on the phone/tablet and send back to the AVR as needed generally only taking about 90 seconds vs. the roughly 5 minutes to load from a USB thumb drive
- The "H" series AVRs include a HEOS module which will allow streaming the (currently) 12 music services using the HEOS iOS/Android app to the "H" series AVR as well as allow streaming 2CH sources from the AVR (analog only on X2400H and lower and analog/digital on the X3400H and higher) to one or up to 32 HEOS wireless speakers placed around the home
- Auto Update - (default - OFF), allows for firmware updates while the unit is in Standby
- SAVE & LOAD (to USB; replaces Web Control SAVE/LOAD)
- Restart - (pressing/holding the power on button in lieu of having to pull power cable)
- DTS:X & DTS Neural:X pre-loaded at factory

S730H/S930H/X1400H/X2400H/X3400H/X4400H/X6400H
- 4K Signal Format (Standard (default)/Enhanced; Note: Enhanced setting must be used when passing 4K/60Hz video)
- Disable Zone 2 access from the remote control
- TV Sound Grouping (fixes 1 second audio delay experienced when playing cable/sat box audio to the surround speakers and HEOS speakers in other rooms) - April 12, 2017 firmware update
- Dolby Vision HDR (on board)
- Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) - (firmware update Sep 2017)
- ALAC up to 192kHz sampling frequency
- Airplay 2 (firmware update August 2018)
- Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) (firmware update August 2018)
- Voice Control Agents - Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple Siri, Josh.ai
- DTS Virtual:X - via firmware update ETA November (simulates height/surround from DTS and PCM audio only when no Height/Top/Dolby speakers are configured; Note: Unable to use Audyssey when DTS Virtual:X is selected on these models)
- Spotify Connect via FREE Spotify account - firmware update (Aug 2019)

X3400H/X4400H/X6400H
- eARC (X3400H/X4400H/X6400H) - added via October 30, 2018 firmware update; HD audio (Dolby TrueHD/DTS HD-MA (note Atmos over DD+ is not HD audio and so is able to pass over the current ARC) from an eARC capable TV back to the AVR) - Note an HDMI w/Ethernet cable must be used.

X4400H/X6400H
- Auro 3D - installed at the factory (the 3rd 3D audio codec in addition to Atmos and DTS:X); able to use Dolby enabled speaker configurations (Front Dolby/Surround Dolby/Back Dolby) although unable to use Top Surround/Voice of God when using them; Note also the Owner manuals incorrectly reflect Auro 3D/AuroMatic audio being able to play to Surround Back speakers.
- Denon's AL32 processing (upgrade over AL24 processing on the X4300H/X6300H)
- Bass Sync
- 5.1 CH full bi-amp -FL/FR/C/SL/SR (X6400H only)
- DTS Virtual:X - via firmware update ETA Summer 2018 (simulates height/surround from DTS/PCM audio when no Height/Top/Dolby speakers configured; able to use Audyssey MultEQ XT32, but unable to use any other Audyssey feature (ie. Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, LFC))

What was dropped from the 2016 models?

S730H/S930H/X1400H/X2400H/X3400H
- Web Control
- vTuner - must use TuneIn (on board or using HEOS app) for internet radio which doesn't allow the user to manually add new stations as is the case with vTuner
- iPod/iPhone connectivity via USB
- Video Select (iPod/USB)
- Component Video upscaling (other than 480i/576i; X3400H)

X6400H
- HD Radio

-------------------------

- All "S" series models have a 2 year warranty if purchased new/open-box from an authorized dealer
- All "X" series models have a 3 year warranty (2 years in Canada) if purchased new/open-box from an authorized dealer
- All refurbished models have a 1 year warranty if purchased from an authorized refurb dealer

Note: Although all models feature two subwoofer pre-outs, only the X3400H/X4400H/X6400H have independent subwoofer volume control of each subwoofer.

Denon model web page info and Owner manual links

- S530BT - MSRP $279, 5.2 CH, 70W, HDMI In/Out (5/1)
This is a 5CH AVR which features Bluetooth, but is not a networking model. Firmware updates would be installed via the USB jack. It includes a mic for a basic (ie. non-Audyssey) single position speaker/sub calibration. It can display the GUI over 2D/3D video sources input to HDMI1 and HDMI2 and pass through 4k/60Hz video from HDMI3/HDMI4/HDMI5 but cannot display the GUI over 4k video. It can use the “Denon 500 Series Remote” Bluetooth remote app.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrs530bt

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS530BT/NA/EN/index.php

Press release on the S530BT and S730H and S930H - http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/denon-s-series-receivers-avr-s930h-avr-s730h-avr-s530bt/

- S730H - MSRP $479, 7.2 CH, 75W, HDMI In/Out (6.1) - avail April
Upgrading from the S530BT adds 1 more HDMI input and two more audio channels for a 7CH model and the lowest model to feature Audyssey MultEQ (6 mic positions), networking, DSD via USB/network source, Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.2, DTS:X and uses speaker posts, 32 bit DAC, and an on board Denon HEOS module (allows streaming of HEOS app music services to the AVR as well as streaming PCM 2.0 source from the AVR to HEOS wireless speakers set up around the home). Firmware updates are installed via a network connection or USB. It can display the GUI over 2D/3D video from all HDMI inputs, but not over 4k video. . It features 5.1 + Zone 2 capability using the Surround Back speaker posts for Zone 2. A new SAVE/LOAD config file via USB feature has been added. There are no Zone 2 pre-outs. No noticeable difference in power; however, audio quality should be improved after running Audyssey. This is the lowest model that can use the new Audyssey MultEQ Editor iOS/Android app ($20) as well as the lowest model that will be receiving the HLG firmware update.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrs730H

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS730H/NA/EN/index.php

- S930H - MSRP $579, 7.2CH, 90W, HDMI In/Out (8/2, main/main outputs) - avail April
Upgrading from the S730H adds 2 more HDMI inputs, 1 more main zone monitor output (eg. when using a TV and PJ), 2 component video inputs / 1 output, 4k/30Hz upscaling, on board. No noticeable difference in either power or audio quality. Although unable to display the GUI on 4k video, able to display the volume bar/Info on 4k video (except Dolby Vision) but only at 24/30Hz, not at 60Hz and only when Video Mode is not set to "Bypass".

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrs930H

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS930H/NA/EN/index.php

- X1400H - MSRP $599, 7.2CH, 80W, HDMI In/Out (6/1) - avail May
This model has the same features as the S730H but adds: improved audio quality using the higher Audyssey MultEQ XT (8 mic positions), Zone 2 pre-outs, Crestron/Control 4 interface, and also as the lowest "X" series model adds 1 more year of warranty (total 3 years). Not able to display GUI or volume bar/Info on 4k video.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrX1400H

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX1400H/NA/EN/index.php

Press release on the new X1400H and X2400H ---> http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Denon-AVR-X1400H-and-AVR-X2400H-AV-Receivers.shtml

- X2400H - MSRP $799, 7.2CH, 95W, HDMI In/Out (8/2, main/main outputs) - avail May
This model has the same features as the S930H but adds: improved audio quality using the higher Audyssey MultEQ XT, Zone 2 pre-outs, RS-232, Crestron/Control 4 interface, ISF (Day/Night) calibration settings (to be set by an ISF calibrator) and 1 more year of warranty (total 3 years). Although unable to display the GUI on 4k video, able to display the volume bar/Info on 4k video (except Dolby Vision) but only at 24/30Hz, not at 60Hz and only when Video Mode is not set to "Bypass".

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrX2400H

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2400H/NA/EN/index.php

- X3400H - MSRP $999, 7.2CH, 105W, HDMI In/Out (8/3, main/main/Zone 2 outputs) - avail July
Upgrading from the X2400H adds: Zone 2 custom settings (bass, treble, HPF, stereo/mono), 12v trigger (1), DSD over HDMI, Zone 2 HDMI Monitor output, HDMI/digital PCM 2.0 audio to Zone 2 speaker posts/pre-outs/HEOS speakers, analog --> HDMI conversion, 4k/60Hz upscaling, and the lowest model with 7.2 main zone pre-outs (however, there is no further expansion beyond 7CH (ie. 7.1 or 5.1.2) processing using an external amp). No noticeable difference in power, but much better audio quality using the much more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and Sub EQ HT (when using 2 subs; independent sub level/delay). The Audyssey Low Frequency Containment (LFC) feature drops down to the X3400H from the higher models which helps to reduce the impact of lower frequency waves passing through walls (great when watching at night with others asleep nearby or if living in an apartment with thin walls). Although unable to display the GUI on 4k video, able to display the volume bar/Info on 4k video (except Dolby Vision).

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrx3400H

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3400H/NA/EN/index.php

- X4400H - MSRP ($1599), 9.2CH, 125W, HDMI In/Out (8/3, main/main/Zone 2 outputs) avail Aug
Upgrading from the X3400H adds: 2 additional on board amps for 9CH on board processing (ie. 7.1.2 or 5.1.4; with capability to expand to 11CH processing (ie. 7.1.4) using an external 2CH amp), 11.2 main zone pre-outs, Zone 3, a 2nd 12v trigger, front panel display of speaker inputs (or outputs), PHONO input, metal front panel with 2 line display, Custom 2 CH main zone settings (using FL/FR or dedicated Front B; LARGE/SMALL; crossover settings, sub – on/off, distance, level), two internal cooling fans, Auro 3D/Auromatic ($199 upgrade on previous years models) with the ability to use it with Dolby enabled upward firing modules and Surround Back speakers, AL32 Processing, Bass Sync; Remote Control able to store preset codes from other mfr devices (see below) and the ability to add Auro 3D Voice of God/Top Surround via the Subwoofer pre-out 2 only. Although unable to display the GUI on 4k video, able to display the volume bar/Info on 4k video (except Dolby Vision).

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx4400H

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4400H/NA/EN/index.php

Remote Control Preset Codes: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4400H/preset/AVRX4400HPresetCodes.pdf

- X6400H - MSRP ($2199), 11.2CH, 140W, HDMI In/Out (8/3, main/main/Zone 2 outputs) avail Aug
Upgrading from the X4400H adds: 2 additional on board amps, more robust amps, mfr'd in Japan, gold plated connectors, Dialog Enhancer, two internal cooling fans, 5.1 CH full bi-amp -FL/FR/C/SL/SR, and Auro 3D Voice of God/Top Surround via either the Subwoofer pre-out 2 or the Surround Back L speaker post. Although unable to display the GUI on 4k video, able to display the volume bar/Info on 4k video (except Dolby Vision).

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx6400h

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX6400H/NA/EN/index.php

Remote Control Preset Codes: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX6400H/preset/AVRX6400HPresetCodes.pdf

----------------------------------

Welcome to the Official 2017 Denon AVR-S/X models thread (S530BT/S730H/S930H/X1400H/X2400H/X3400H/X4400H/X6400H).

If this is your first visit to this thread, and you want to ask a question about one of the 2017 Denon AVR models, either one that you own or one that you are thinking of buying, please provide the following information to allow for better responses to your questions:

(a) Identify the model number in question (eg. X2400H), as there are 8 different models (S and X series) discussed in this thread. Also if you have not posted in several days since your initial post, please post the model # again so we don't have to back track to learn which model you are referencing.

(b) Identify what you've done so far to troubleshoot the issue and what the front panel is displaying if an audio issue, (also take a few minutes to review the Troubleshooting section provided in post 3 as your question may already be answered there,

(c) Unless you indicate what settings have been changed, the assumption will be that all settings are on the factory defaults (ie. usually "Auto"),

(d) If the advice given seems to simplistic or obvious, don't shoot the advice giver as we have no idea of the level of your technical understanding,

(e) If there is no response to your post, it either means no one knows the answer or it has simply been overlooked so please repost if you still haven't resolved your issue,

(f) If you post a question in this thread and are given advice and either it or some other advice (eg. Denon phone support, Denon "Ask a Question" email support) resolves your issue, have the common courtesy to post back what solution resolved your issue so others can learn from it as well,

(g) If the issue is not user error or not just a misunderstanding on how the AVR works, please call Denon support so the issue is registered,

(h) When responding to another post that is providing assistance to you, please press the "Quote" button in the lower right corner of that other poster's response so that response is also listed with your new post to provide some context, and,

(i) If you don't live in either the USA or Canada, please either indicate your country location in your profile or your post as some Denon models from other regions in the world differ in configuration from their USA/Canada counterparts otherwise responses made in this thread are in regards to the USA/Canada models only.

See less See more
#8,861 ·
txs !

As I will do level and time alignment in my miniDSP 88A, it is safe to say that I can run only one RCA cable from sub pre out 1 to the 88A then inside the 88A, copy the signal to 2 outputs and make level / time alignement there ?

There isn't any x.2 materials with what I could loss having only one sub configured in the 4400 and not 2 ?

txs
Correct, no .2 sources.

#8,862 ·
Re: "7. 10-30-2018

- eARC (note that in order to pass "enhanced" HD audio from an eARC able TV (not expected until late 2018/early 2019), one of the following HDMI cables must be used to connect the AVR to the TV: Standard w/Ethernet, High Speed w/Ethernet (including "Premium" High Speed w/Ethernet), or Ultra High Speed w/Ethernet)"

I do not see an October, 2018 firmware update for my X3400H listed on Denon's product updates site, just two for the X7200W. Some on this site say that they have installed new firmware for October 30th. Beta testers? Out of the U.S.?

Cheers,
Marshal

#8,863 ·
- eARC (note that in order to pass "enhanced" HD audio from an eARC able TV (not expected until late 2018/early 2019), one of the following HDMI cables must be used to connect the AVR to the TV: Standard w/Ethernet, High Speed w/Ethernet (including "Premium" High Speed w/Ethernet), or Ultra High Speed w/Ethernet)"

I do not see an October, 2018 firmware update for my X3400H listed on Denon's product updates site, just two for the X7200W. Some on this site say that they have installed new firmware for October 30th. Beta testers? Out of the U.S.?

Cheers,
Marshal
It can sometimes take a month or two for firmware updates to show up on Denon's product update page. All USA models listed in post 6 received the update last week.

#8,864 ·
It can sometimes take a month or two for firmware updates to show up on Denon's product update page. All USA models listed in post 6 received the update last week.
Thanks. I'm on Firmware XX1084. Auto Update is ON. No love so far.

#8,865 ·

Cheers,

Marshal

I’m in Canada and I got the firmware update Friday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8,866 ·
#8,867 ·
When I run Audyssey on my Dennon Avrx 4400H it says I'm running 7.1 but I have 2 subwoofers running and both are working. So why does it say 7.1 it should be 7.2 right? Also I don't really hear my A90's on my Definitive Technology 9060's Towers. It doesn't sound like it's overhead. So should I use them with 2 in ceiling atmos speakers or take the A90's back and use 4 in c atmos speakers. I'm thinking of the Klipsch 6-1/2" RIC-65's getting 4 of them. They should be ok for atmos right? Because they will only play when atmos is available or should I get bigger speakers. Not sure about atmos speakers.
Thanks for any help!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#8,868 ·
My 4400H updated to eARC, What a bunch of garbage. Connected to TV with acquitte HDMI cable, Now when i switch to "TV Audio" the "speaker input" flashes non stop and sounds like getting signal and loosing it every 2 seconds. Yes HDMI cable is more than enough, rated for 4k HDR which does so flawlessly until this update.

#8,869 · (Edited)
When I run Audyssey on my Dennon Avrx 4400H it says I'm running 7.1 but I have 2 subwoofers running and both are working. So why does it say 7.1 it should be 7.2 right? Also I don't really hear my A90's on my Definitive Technology 9060's Towers. It doesn't sound like it's overhead. So should I use them with 2 in ceiling atmos speakers or take the A90's back and use 4 in c atmos speakers. I'm thinking of the Klipsch 6-1/2" RIC-65's getting 4 of them. They should be ok for atmos right? Because they will only play when atmos is available or should I get bigger speakers. Not sure about atmos speakers.
Thanks for any help!

Doesn't matter....only 1 LFE channel no matter how many :"connections" they give you. We just add to those numbers as our sub collection grows. I know a guy has 4 subs says hes running 5.4.4- Still only 1 LFE channel.

Also UP firing speakers are for sheep- Your counting on "reflections" which was a huge NO NO before Atmos. They make them for people who cant or wont mount a small speaker or put in ceiling., I personally would use mountable speakers. can angle them better. and if you ever want to swap locations or positions its easier. Or if you decide hey over heads are not for me and go FH RH :)

Reactions: mrtickleuk
#8,871 · (Edited)
Thanks for any help!

As Remy noted, it doesn't matter how many subs you have connected, there is only one LFE signal which is going to all of them. Although the proper designation is 7.1 (regardless of how many subs are connected), what is often used by members on the forum is the actual number of subs in the setup (eg. 7.2).

The problem with upward firing modules is that simply placing them on top of your tower speakers doesn't always result in the best overhead audio affect. Get out a protractor and determine the best angle for the speaker tweeter (ie. either wedged up in the back or the front) in order for the audio to reach your seat. Ensure when seated on the tower speakers, they are above your seated ear height, otherwise, you are likely to hear the audio directly from the speaker itself. You may also need to boost the volume level of few dB as well to provide a more pronounced "bounce" affect. In some cases, members have placed them on their own dedicated stands in front of the Front L/R speakers. If repositioning still produces no positive affect, then consider either mounting them on the Front/Rear walls as Front/Rear Height angled down towards the main listening position, or as you suggested, purchasing a separate set of in/on-ceiling speakers.

In some cases (especially at commercial demos) the upward firing modules used in that setup sound just as good as in-ceiling speakers so it really just depends on your room's dimensions and acoustics as to which would serve you best. Certainly placing in-ceiling speakers will require a lot more effort cutting holes in your ceiling, but most likely the best affect overall.

Note however, the overhead speakers (or upward firing modules for that matter) will pass non-Atmos audio as well by simply using one of the available simulators (ie. Dolby Surround, DTS Neural:X, or AuroMatic).

#8,872 ·
Thanks for any help!

Audyssey will only ever report 1 sub. Trying to bounce the ATMOS down firing sounds off the ceiling is a solution only for those that have no way of mounting the ATMOS speakers in or on the ceiling in the proper positions. If it is at all possible you really need to use in or on ceiling speakers. The pic below, while not a great picture, does show the positioning of all the speakers in my 7.2.4 ATMOS setup.

Note that the 2 rear surround speakers are not really where they should be (they should be at the same height as the side surrounds) but it was not possible to mount them there in the room so I did the best I could. Also, you see only 1 sub "cube" but the Def Tech STS front channel towers each have a built in 300 watt powered sub which I have connected as sub 2.

Attachments

#8,873 ·
is there some definitive way to check to see whether you've received this new update? does it go by version # or just the date (10/30/2018)? x6400 with auto update but i don't believe i have received it yet. honestly more interested in the heos bug fixes than eARC. incidentally, since the eARC update for the receiver is only half of the equation, have any tvs you are all attaching to the receiver received the eARC update? haven't seen anything on Samsung's end

#8,875 ·
When I run Audyssey on my 6400H it defaults to test and equalize only one sub but there is an Audyssey option to equalize two subs. In the setup before you start they give you options to choose which speakers you want Audyssey to work on.
Correct. You would select which speakers are in your configuration as opposed to which ones you only want "Audyssey to work on" to include increasing the default Sub setting to two subs.

#8,876 ·
Then why not just open the Heos app? It forces you to update anyway if an update exists (and, yes, it updates everything - not just the Heos elements)

is there some definitive way to check to see whether you've received this new update? does it go by version # or just the date (10/30/2018)? x6400 with auto update but i don't believe i have received it yet. honestly more interested in the heos bug fixes than eARC. incidentally, since the eARC update for the receiver is only half of the equation, have any tvs you are all attaching to the receiver received the eARC update? haven't seen anything on Samsung's end

#8,877 ·
I just picked up an AVR-X3400H. Open box but was sold as new not used, so it still has the full 3-year warranty. I have 5 speakers hooked up to it, 3 HDMI inputs and a ARC output to TCL tv.

When the device is turned off, it make a beep about every 30 min or so. This is constant. Every other A/V component is turned off. Is this a defect or is there some setting that causes this?

Thanks all.

#8,878 ·
I just picked up an AVR-X3400H. Open box but was sold as new not used, so it still has the full 3-year warranty. I have 5 speakers hooked up to it, 3 HDMI inputs and a ARC output to TCL tv.

When the device is turned off, it make a beep about every 30 min or so. This is constant. Every other A/V component is turned off. Is this a defect or is there some setting that causes this?

Thanks all.
Are you sure the "beep" is coming from the AVR? Sounds more like it would come from a UPS or surge suppressor if you're using one.

#8,879 ·
Good question. Don't have a UPS but do have a decent surge suppressor. It's never made noise before. I will have to try and isolate this later.

#8,880 ·
Then why not just open the Heos app? It forces you to update anyway if an update exists (and, yes, it updates everything - not just the Heos elements)
i did, but that's not what i asked. is there a way to confirm the latest firmware via the menu on the 6400 is the question. it's not just for this specific instance, but in general. pg 1 lists a bunch of firmware updates, all titled by date. when i go to the avr menu, i don't see anything about a date (that i can find)