I finally got Audyssey to work on my X4400H using the MultiEQ app on Android. It took 10 to 12 times, multiple firmware resets, a bunch of power cycles and network resets, but it finally worked.
I won't go into everything I tried, I don't even remember exactly all what I did, but hopefully this will help someone.
I'm not sure I had the same issues other people had with their network settings. I always saw the receiver online, I just ended up with the communication error either when it was checking the subwoofer level, after the first left speaker, after 2 mic positions, or the most frustrating of all, after 4 mic positions. I didn't test HEOS at all, but I was still able to stream from spotify (is that technically HEOS?) and I could go into local radio and stream from there.
What finally worked was after I upgraded the firmware to 5461-8203-8332-2165, DTS version 22.214.171.124. After I factory reset the firmware to the original version, my trick of a hard power cycle and a network reset, MultiEQ was still giving me communication errors. I decided to give it a last ditch effort (at around 12:40am this morning), update the firmware, and try again.
As it was upgrading I was thinking about how when I go through the initial setup, when I do the network setup assistant and it tries to stream something, it doesn't work. I have to hit, I hear it to proceed, but I wouldn't actually hear anything. One time I noticed that if I streamed something and then went back to the setup assistant, it worked.
When the upgrade finished, I skipped the network setup assistant, went into HEOS and streamed something, then went back to the network setup assistant and it worked as expected. At this point I hit the power on the front of the Denon to turn it off. After that I turned it back on, went to CD, and then ran Audyssey through MultiEQ and it finally freaking worked. I went through 6 mic positions (i would have done more but my toddler started moving in the crib and that was the last thing I wanted to deal with) without a hitch.
Key points that may or may not have helped
- I noticed that a time or two the HEOS menu came up at the beginning of trying to run Audyssey, so I always the input on CD and left the unit on when I started Audyssey
- Go to HEOS and stream radio first and then go to Network Setup Assistant
- I noticed that in the MultiEQ app that I was hitting the small + in the top right corner as opposed to the big one to start the process. When I hit the big one beside the other curves, it would get further than hitting the small one and then choosing New Curve and not Google drive.
- Go slow through the MultiEQ app. One or two times I got ahead of myself and hit next before I let it sit for a second on a new screen and received a communication error.
This is a pretty buggy program that gets all jacked up pretty frequently. Hopefully some random nonsense I just typed helps someone out.
my 5.1.4 is FINALLY properly configured. Of course I finished it around 1:30am and was too tired to test much out, but it got rid of the muddy voices that I've dealt with the last few days, so thank goodness for that.
Last edited by emiller1181; 06-30-2020 at 06:33 AM.