"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136223Likes

post #1771 of 12282 Old 11-09-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xosted View Post
Hello everyone,
I have understood that it is possible to use Heos speakers as wireless surrounds with the Heos AVR. I was wondering if the same function was available with the X series (AVR-x3400h or AVR-x2400h).
For reference, this is a thread that describes it : denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5673/~/heos-surround-speaker-setup-for-heos-avr
Thank you
That's only a feature on that HEOS AVR. for the rest it's recommended to use a wireless option like Rocketfish to eliminate speaker wires from surrounds but you'll still need access to outlets to power the wireless modules.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 12282 Old 11-09-2017, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 166
All...quick question on my new X2400H. There are 2 ports out to the TV; HDMI (ARC) out and a 4k HDCP 2.2. port. I can't use the 4k port on my LG OLED b/c i need ARC to pass the internal apps to my AVR.

My question is...what is the benefit of the 4k HDCP 2.2 port and am i missing anything by not using it?
post #1773 of 12282 Old 11-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
All...quick question on my new X2400H. There are 2 ports out to the TV; HDMI (ARC) out and a 4k HDCP 2.2. port. I can't use the 4k port on my LG OLED b/c i need ARC to pass the internal apps to my AVR.

My question is...what is the benefit of the 4k HDCP 2.2 port and am i missing anything by not using it?
Ya, you're missing out on HDR and 4:4:4 color gamut.

Scrap out your ARC connection and use an optical cable. Because ARC can be very flakey and just randomly stop working. No rhyme or reason. Then you are going to come here complaining. So do yourself and everyone a favour and don't use ARC.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1774 of 12282 Old 11-09-2017, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:

My understanding is that the only difference between the outputs is that one is ARC enabled. You shouldn't be missing out on anything using that output. I attached a screenshot from the Denon X2400H webpage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
PlanetAVS likes this.
post #1775 of 12282 Old 11-09-2017, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22611 Post(s)
Liked: 12304
Quote:

If only Monitor 2 were HDCP 2.2, you would see "HDCP 2.2" listed under the label "Monitor2" just as you only see "ARC" listed under the label "Monitor1."
post #1776 of 12282 Old 11-09-2017, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post

Scrap out your ARC connection and use an optical cable. Because ARC can be very flakey and just randomly stop working. No rhyme or reason. Then you are going to come here complaining. So do yourself and everyone a favour and don't use ARC.

I'm using ARC out on the 2400H to my OLED, and I'm getting HDR pass through just fine. ARC can have issues but going with optical will prevent you from getting DD+ Atmos from your OLED. Plus you'll have an extra cable to clutter your setup.
post #1777 of 12282 Old 11-09-2017, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
[B]Well considering there is no public availability or way to convert true 4K HDR material from disc to file, it is illegal and this forum will not help you.

I buy things whenever its available where I live, like all my digital games, netflix and local music services subs. Plus, the law regarding ripping your legally owned discs to file is different from country to country, and I never asked a word about piracy, please put aside your condescending attitude.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #1778 of 12282 Old 11-10-2017, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
As stated before both HDMI out are the same as for signal (the support full HDCP 2.2, HDR and 4:4:4 color). Output 1 has additional ARC support, which in my case works perfectly. I'm connected with Sony XE93 TV and on the input side Apple TV 4K, PS4 nad set top box.
I got full DD+ ARC from apps running on TV and I can control and power on/off all components connected to 2400H.

br, pawel.
post #1779 of 12282 Old 11-10-2017, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
I buy things whenever its available where I live, like all my digital games, netflix and local music services subs. Plus, the law regarding ripping your legally owned discs to file is different from country to country, and I never asked a word about piracy, please put aside your condescending attitude.
I get that, I have about 200+ blurays that I have legally made backup copies. I'm saying, there is no LEGAL way to make 4K movies for backup in the world.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
post #1780 of 12282 Old 11-10-2017, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I'm using ARC out on the 2400H to my OLED, and I'm getting HDR pass through just fine. ARC can have issues but going with optical will prevent you from getting DD+ Atmos from your OLED. Plus you'll have an extra cable to clutter your setup.
Yes I realize that, but at the same time, your ARC system could completely stop working if your receiver or TV get a firmware update. And poof just like that, you'll be here whining that you can't get audio. And seriously? 1 extra cable makes everything cluttered? What did you do before the advent of HDMI?

post #1781 of 12282 Old 11-10-2017, 01:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And poof just like that, you'll be here whining that you can't get audio.

Dude, you don't speak for me. Take your misinformation and run along now.
waja likes this.
post #1782 of 12282 Old 11-10-2017, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Dude, you don't speak for me. Take your misinformation and run along now.
There's no misinformation about how bad ARC is. Go do some reading about ARC and how not great it is. Sure it works 70% of the time, but there's still 30% of the time it's not. I'd rather not chance loosing my audio 100% of the time and not using ARC than possibly being put into a situation that has the potential to ruin your audio. Anyone here that is reasonable will tell you to avoid using ARC. Rather an extra cable then the extra hassle

post #1783 of 12282 Old 11-10-2017, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quick follow up to my previous question.

I already own a pair of Audioengine A5+ speakers. These are great speakers and I was planning on hooking them up to this receiver once I had bought it. I just realized that these are active speakers and maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea to use them together.

Has anyone tried to use active speakers with the AVR-S530BT? If not, what would be a good saoundbar to pair with this?

Thanks in advance.
post #1784 of 12282 Old 11-10-2017, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Thanks to all who responded.

@Quicksilv3r I do not see any loss of functionality, as you described, from using the non HDCP 4K port. I still get HDR and DV and i am still getting 4k. It appears that both ports are the same as one passes ARC and one does not.

The issues with ARC are well documented but I, and a few others are not having issues. Running an optical cable in my case, while a solution, requires taking my OLED off the wall, fishing an optical cable through the wall. Not needed.

I am not going to "come on here and complain" if i have issues. I was simply asking a question and i appreciate jdsmoothies and planetAVS and doshorttell providing a professioanl response.
post #1785 of 12282 Old 11-10-2017, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yauller View Post
Quick follow up to my previous question.

I already own a pair of Audioengine A5+ speakers. These are great speakers and I was planning on hooking them up to this receiver once I had bought it. I just realized that these are active speakers and maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea to use them together.
Unfortunately, the 530 does not have line-level preamp outputs. It's designed to be connected to passive speakers, so connecting active speakers to it would require a speaker-level to line-level adapter. Its auto-setup procedure would compensate for differing speaker gains, so mixing active with passive speakers should work OK in that respect.
Quote:
Has anyone tried to use active speakers with the AVR-S530BT? If not, what would be a good saoundbar to pair with this?
You'd need to get a "passive" soundbar: one that has speaker binding posts and is designed be connected to a receiver. Most soundbars are designed to be be used instead of a receiver and would be connected directly to the ARC HDMI input of a TV. However, I have no experience with any of them, so please ask for help in the AVS Soundbar subforum at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-soundbars/

Quality soundbars cost about the same as an entry-level surround-sound speaker system, so you might want to consider one of the latter instead. More info would be available in the speaker sub-forum at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/
Madmax67 likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #1786 of 12282 Old 11-10-2017, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great information, @Selden Ball .

Thanks a lot for your feedback. It really helped.
post #1787 of 12282 Old 11-10-2017, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yauller View Post
Great information, @Selden Ball .

Thanks a lot for your feedback. It really helped.
You're very welcome. Best of luck!

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #1788 of 12282 Old 11-10-2017, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Thanks to all who responded.

@Quicksilv3r I do not see any loss of functionality, as you described, from using the non HDCP 4K port. I still get HDR and DV and i am still getting 4k. It appears that both ports are the same as one passes ARC and one does not.

The issues with ARC are well documented but I, and a few others are not having issues. Running an optical cable in my case, while a solution, requires taking my OLED off the wall, fishing an optical cable through the wall. Not needed.

I am not going to "come on here and complain" if i have issues. I was simply asking a question and i appreciate jdsmoothies and planetAVS and doshorttell providing a professioanl response.
Are you using both outputs from the Denon into separate inputs on your OLED?

Sony 75" XBR-75Z9D
Denon AVR-X4400H
(4) Klipsch RP-280FA Dolby Atmos Enabled Towers
(1) Klipsch RP-450CA Center Channel
(1) SVS 12" PC-2000 Subwoofer
post #1789 of 12282 Old 11-10-2017, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Hello All,

I am trying to get a dual configuration with my Denon x3300 .. one where my sub runs hot and my Audio sounds absolutely splendid... and 2.. where I can watch tv and movies in the same house with my wife and daughter

REF: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...a-1726.html#f4 ref pasted below for convenience and i bolded the confusing part.

After reading the below and reference. I still dont have an answer with an explanation. I want to run my sub hot... so I ran Audyssey so that the trim on the sub was at -10.5. According to the below.. or how i interpret it, is that I should then manually adjust the sub trim to fall into -3.5 - +3.5 zone to fall into the sweet spot for audyssey AFTER i run audysesey. I did this.. and everything sounds absolutely amazing!!!! (Dynamic EQ is on. Dynamic Volume is off)... However this is not a livable configuration for me for daily use unfortunately...

Essentially what I want to do is have a setup where I can listen to my current config ... (Audyssey run at -10.sub trim and me changing it to -3.5) AND switching to a mode where its reasonable for daily living...

Yes.. i am aware of dynamic volume.. and that is an option, however i feel that flattens the sound out a lot...

1.) a fundamental config question..... Are there issues when the trim is set below -3.5?

2.) if above is yes.. should I re-run audyssey to fit more into the -3.5db range and then turn the trim up from there?

3.) any other settings or thoughts i should be considering?

Thanks in advance!!!

Quote:
f)4. If I want to run my subs a little 'hot' where should I make the changes?

Many people prefer to run their subs a little hotter than Reference. That's fine but remember to make the adjustment in the AVR or Pre-Pro trim settings and not on the sub itself. This makes it easier to return to a known starting point if you decide to go back later. Adjusting the trims does not in any way invalidate the calibration but it may affect the way Dynamic EQ works (see elsewhere in this FAQ for more info - link below).

There is one caveat to the advice above: if adjusting the AVR trims to make the sub hotter takes the final trim setting outside the +/-3.5dB recommended range, please read the information below.

You may want to consider this comment from Ed Mullen, Director of Technology at renowned subwoofer manufacturer SVS:

"A general rule when level matching the subs and the speaker channels is to run the gain hotter at the subs and the AVR sub trim level cooler. That keeps the AVR sub signal clean and allows upward adjustability to run the sub hotter if needed."
In other words, if you prefer to raise the sub level above the 'Reference' level set after running Audyssey (i.e., run the subs 'hotter'), you should raise the sub gain control so that after running Audyssey, the sub level is set to a bigger minus value (eg. -9db). This will ensure that, after raising the sub volume using the AVR trim control to suit your 'Preference', the final sub trim level is still set to between +/-3.5db.

This advice is only for those who wish to run their subs hotter. The point of Ed's comment is that there are effectively two ways to achieve the objective of running the sub hotter:

One is to simply turn up the level on the sub trim in the AVR. But this could mean that you end up with a sub trim of something like +8dB, which is not a good idea for various reasons.
The other is to turn up the gain on the sub itself, but this is not recommended because it makes it more difficult to return the sub to its original Audyssey calibration level if required. Adjusting the sub trim in the AVR is functionally equivalent to adjusting the sub's gain, but also easily allows restoring the original setting.

So the best advice is to do what Ed suggests - turn up the gain on the subs and then re-run Audyssey. Because you have turned up the gain on the sub, Audyssey will set the trim on your AVR lower. This means you can then go into the AVR menu and turn up the sub trim level without exceeding the recommended -3.5dB-+3.5dB range.
post #1790 of 12282 Old 11-11-2017, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hello. I currently own a Denon AVR 1909 and it has served me well for many years, although it is a bit underpowered. Well I am getting ready to start upgrading my speakers (possibly the Aperion Verus 2 line) and I'm feeling like it might be best to upgrade my receiver first. The biggest reason is for more power, although the new receivers have some slick new features.

I'm currently looking at either the AVR x4300h because it is on sale for $799, or the new AVR s930h which can be had for about $500.

I was wondering if anyone has any insight for me? I would be very appreciative. Many thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #1791 of 12282 Old 11-11-2017, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry if this has already been covered. Does the 2400H already have Dolby Vision pass through or is it still to come via firmware? I'm looking at the Apple TV 4K and just wanted to confirm I'll be able to pass DV through the AVR before I purchase the AppleTV 4K.

I'm on the firmware version that added HLG support (not sure of the version number at the moment(
post #1792 of 12282 Old 11-11-2017, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 1668
Quote:
Sorry if this has already been covered. Does the 2400H already have Dolby Vision pass through or is it still to come via firmware? I'm looking at the Apple TV 4K and just wanted to confirm I'll be able to pass DV through the AVR before I purchase the AppleTV 4K.

I'm on the firmware version that added HLG support (not sure of the version number at the moment(
I don't own one, but all of the 2017 models that were to have DV pass-through came with it at initial release. HLG support was to be added later, as you have already seen.
post #1793 of 12282 Old 11-12-2017, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

There is a lot of very helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread with features provided in post 1.
post #1794 of 12282 Old 11-12-2017, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzbc View Post
Hello. I currently own a Denon AVR 1909 and it has served me well for many years, although it is a bit underpowered. Well I am getting ready to start upgrading my speakers (possibly the Aperion Verus 2 line) and I'm feeling like it might be best to upgrade my receiver first. The biggest reason is for more power, although the new receivers have some slick new features.

I'm currently looking at either the AVR x4300h because it is on sale for $799, or the new AVR s930h which can be had for about $500.

I was wondering if anyone has any insight for me? I would be very appreciative. Many thanks!

Big jump in both features and audio quality so if the X4300H is in your budget, that would be the better buy; however, suggest you purchase the speakers first, as the power difference won't likely matter.
post #1795 of 12282 Old 11-12-2017, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Big jump in both features and audio quality so if the X4300H is in your budget, that would be the better buy; however, suggest you purchase the speakers first, as the power difference won't likely matter.
Thank you for your input. That's interesting that you recommend upgrading the speakers first. I was thinking that the new speakers would suffer in performance with the AVR 1909, but apparently you don't think so. Maybe I'll just ride out the 1909 a little longer. It's still working fine.

post #1796 of 12282 Old 11-13-2017, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Anyone know how to Disable Denon Smart Menu at start-up?

Hello All,
Would anyone know the process of disabling the Denon Smart Menu from popping up every time I turn on the unit? (Avr-x3400h) I would like to keep access to smart menu if needed however I would like to keep it from displaying every time I boot up the receiver. Thank you.
post #1797 of 12282 Old 11-13-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyTheLab View Post
Hello All,
Would anyone know the process of disabling the Denon Smart Menu from popping up every time I turn on the unit? (Avr-x3400h) I would like to keep access to smart menu if needed however I would like to keep it from displaying every time I boot up the receiver. Thank you.
I see where I can go (from the smart menu) to Help and then 'Turn smart menu off'...However I am just looking to just not having it display at start up. Is that possible?

Last edited by MontyTheLab; 11-13-2017 at 09:35 AM.
post #1798 of 12282 Old 11-13-2017, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyTheLab View Post
I see where I can go (from the smart menu) to Help and then 'Turn smart menu off'...However I am just looking to just not having it display at start up. Is that possible?
AFAIK, no.
post #1799 of 12282 Old 11-13-2017, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Wired simultaneously w HEOS?

Am trying to determine with the Heos enabled receivers is it possible to run music through wired speakers connected to the receiver and have the same audio play in another room over Heos speakers without lag/delay?
post #1800 of 12282 Old 11-13-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
AFAIK, no.
Darn...at this point (since it's still on) I have to exit out of the Denon Smart menu not once but twice when I boot the receiver. Do most of you turn this Denon feature off?

Last edited by MontyTheLab; 11-13-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2400h , 3.0 , 4 ohm , 4200 , 4300 , 4400 , 7.1 , 7.1 setup , 7.2 , alexa , atmos , Audyssey , avr , avr-s730h , avr-x2400h , avrs730h , bi-amp , blueray , bluetooth , connectivity , Denon , denon x2400h remote controller , dolby surround up mixer , dts neural up mixer , Emotiva , enhanced 4k , hdmi , help please , Home Theater , ipod , lan , lpcm 7.1 , multi ch in , Netflix , Pioneer , pre amp , pre out , ps4 , receiver , Samsung , setup , subwoofer denon test tone , wifi , x3400h , x520bt , xbox one , zone 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page