MultEQ Editor: New App for Denon & Marantz AV Receivers & Pre/Pros - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2429Likes

post #4201 of 4678 Old 05-10-2019, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post
Prior to audyssey, I ran the paradigm PBK (perfect bass kit eq) inside each Sub, but told PBK not to touch from 30hz down.. As it would have killed the low bass..

Hope someone can Maube steer me to what frequency Shkukd make upper grab at...
Yes, that's a really huge spike at 25 hz. If you like that and want to keep it, I understand your original question better now. I don't think you'll have much luck making an Audyssey curve for that. I can't try curves in my app to see what they'd look like as my sub doesn't have that spike so my results won't be relevant.

If you want to keep that bump on the bottom, here's what I'd suggest. Run the PBK full range, which should remove the hump. Then run Audyssey. If Audyssey doesn't see the hump, it won't apply cuts there. Then after running Audyssey, re-set the PBK EQ to be limited to 30 hz, which should restore the hump at the bottom and Audyssey will never know the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 4678 Old 05-10-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Did you measure with REW to verify these results?
Yes, I've been using REW and Omnimic to verify everything I do.

Quote:
Such inaccurate results as adding a 4 dB boost at 20 Hz, and that affecting the 32 Hz range explains why I could not eliminate the 38 Hz dip in my sub frequency response by boosting at 38 Hz.
Keep in mind, if a dip is a room null/cancellation, adding boost with any software often won't fix the problem. Relocating the sub/adding another sub, etc might be required.
post #4203 of 4678 Old 05-10-2019, 03:05 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
I listened to some music, and was pleased with the result, but I am going to perform another Audyssey calibration, because it can't hurt to try. I will still have the calibration that resulted in the above result in the app, so there is no down-side other than using my (limited) time.

For the new calibration, I am looking for input on two changes:

1) I am thinking to make the microphone positions closer together this time. I have always kept them 18-24" apart, but am thinking to try around 12" apart.

2) I would like to try and measure with the subwoofers at the actual levels I use them at, because that probably affects the Audyssey result. It doesn't make sense to me to reduce the subwoofer levels to satisfy the subwoofer level matching screen requirements, when I just revert the settings post-calibration.

Background on my subwoofer adjustments

On my very first run, I ignored the subwoofer level matching screen, and the calibration worked fine; the subwoofer trim levels in the processor were set at -12.0 dB. I don't see this as an issue, as I know what I would manually adjust the final trim levels to anyway. Since this calibration run was made before I made my cables, I am not going to use it.

Ever since that first calibration run, I have been using the subwoofer level matching screen, but I have to turn the gain level settings on the subwoofers down significantly to satisfy that tool in the app. Then, after calibration, I set the subwoofer level gain settings back to the original positions and also reduce the trim levels in the processor; the end result is a definitely a net gain. Please note these gain settings on the subwoofers and the trim levels in the processor match the 2010 Audyssey Pro calibration performed with my Denon 4311. I realize the custom curve in the Pro calibration is going to be different, but the only thing that changed since that time was the processor. In addition to these post-Audyssey subwoofer gain and processor level adjustments, I also add +5 dB boost to both Sub1 and Sub2 via the "Options" menu.

Thanks for any input/advice.

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
I don't see where anyone else responded. I think closer distances for the various measurements makes sense. I try to do mine approx. 12" apart. Regarding sub levels, if Audyssey sets the trim at -12, that's its maximum so you don't know if it should have been MORE than that or not. Set your sub gain so Audyssey trims between -11.5 and -7. That allows you to know it shouldn't be more and gives you plenty of headroom to play with setting them higher post calibration. I have two subs and Audyssey consistently sets one at -10.5 and the other at -7 or -8. I bump the 3db together post calibration.
Quote:
Thanks for the response. Regarding the subwoofer levels, I know exactly where both the subwoofer gain level and the processor trim levels were set in my system for years. Like I said, the only thing that changed was the processor. Also, Audyssey tells you exactly where they want the subwoofer levels via the subwoofer level matching screen that appears as the first step in calibration.

My question is if the Audyssey correction will change due to the subwoofer levels being set where I want them in the end, versus where Audyssey wants them at the start of the calibration. The issue I have is that Audyssey applied a several dB cut at around 38 Hz (as measured with REW), and there is no null at that frequency when Audyssey is off (as measured with REW). The curve editor did not work to remove the dip in the response, but maybe I don't know how to use it.

Thanks.

Mark
Quote:
Did you measure with REW to verify these results?

Such inaccurate results as adding a 4 dB boost at 20 Hz, and that affecting the 32 Hz range explains why I could not eliminate the 38 Hz dip in my sub frequency response by boosting at 38 Hz.

Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon AA View Post
Yes, I've been using REW and Omnimic to verify everything I do.

Keep in mind, if a dip is a room null/cancellation, adding boost with any software often won't fix the problem. Relocating the sub/adding another sub, etc might be required.
OK, I think I finally achieved good results with the curve editor, as now the response is within 1.6 dB (maximum) below 38 Hz.

It seems like I only put around a 4 dB boost at 45 Hz, but I put a couple of other points in there (wish I wrote them down), but they are not showing when I go back into the curve editor for the subwoofer. I uploaded it, checked it with REW, was pleased with the result above. Then I listened to some music, and was also pleased with the improvement. Then I came back to the computer to capture my graph and post here.

Someone mentioned that Audyssey will try and flatten the response, which I guess means that it takes the curve editor control points we adjust and interprets them into an alternate result. Based on the curve adjustments I made, and the follow-up measurements, it looks like that is what happened to me because that 38 Hz "dip" (which is not there with Audyssey off, so not a null) is still there, but the response below that was flattened. I am not sure what happened the last time I tried to edit the curve, and it didn't change at all. Maybe that was a glitch in the app?

For the Audyssey calibration today, I did not make any changes in the microphone pattern distance, as I realized my microphone pattern was fairly tight anyway, around 12" apart. I did change measurements 7 & 8; I raised those up around a foot above the MLP, almost directly above measurements 2 & 3. There was not much change in the result with the default parameters from Audyssey, so I guess that just means I have the measurement process fairly consistent.

Today I did not adjust the subwoofer gain level settings down as I had in the past, as the levels on the subwoofer level matching screen were only slightly above the green target. Basically, each pair of subs (sub 1 and sub 2) were only one speaker icon above the green target. I figured that would be fine, and it turns out it was. The only issue is that the processor trim levels were set at -12.0 for the subwoofers, but as noted above, I know the subwoofer gain level settings are fine in my setup.

After the calibration, I re-adjusted my subwoofer distances as I had confirmed they were the best blend in previous posts. Then I boosted my subwoofers by 7.0 dB in the processor trim level settings menu.

I am not going to say it is perfect, but with music, it sounds much better in the bass region. We will see when I watch a movie tonight.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Center+Subs Aud On 15Hz-300Hz - 2019-05-10 Curve Adjustment Comparison.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	2565030  

Last edited by giomania; 05-10-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4204 of 4678 Old 05-10-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked: 5032
I'm really curious what the heck is going on with your dB levels, there's no way you're actually measuring bass sweeps at 130-135dB!!!
ahblaza likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4205 of 4678 Old 05-10-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Yes, that's a really huge spike at 25 hz. If you like that and want to keep it, I understand your original question better now. I don't think you'll have much luck making an Audyssey curve for that. I can't try curves in my app to see what they'd look like as my sub doesn't have that spike so my results won't be relevant.

If you want to keep that bump on the bottom, here's what I'd suggest. Run the PBK full range, which should remove the hump. Then run Audyssey. If Audyssey doesn't see the hump, it won't apply cuts there. Then after running Audyssey, re-set the PBK EQ to be limited to 30 hz, which should restore the hump at the bottom and Audyssey will never know the difference.
Awesome idea...

This way I won't have to make a custom curve to combat audyssey making it flat...

Thanks again
post #4206 of 4678 Old 05-10-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post
Awesome idea...

This way I won't have to make a custom curve to combat audyssey making it flat...

Thanks again
The other option would be to lower the filter frequency range for the sub to 20Hz in the app so it effectively does nothing to the sub EQ.
ahblaza likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4207 of 4678 Old 05-10-2019, 04:00 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I'm really curious what the heck is going on with your dB levels, there's no way you're actually measuring bass sweeps at 130-135dB!!!
I know, right? I am not sure how that happened, but during the initial REW setup following the 101 guide page by page, I had set the processor volume to -13 dB when I had leveled the mic at 90 dB. Everything looked good.

After the first use of REW, I had disconnected everything, and then when I came back to the theater and re-connected, I just set the processor volume at -13 dB every time, and have experienced these raised levels. I can probably just go back through the REW guide page by page to fix it, but I figured it was all relative for these problem-solving measurements.

Since I have made another calibration run, assuming it is good with movie material also, I will re-accomplish the 12 recommended measurements again, and will make sure the levels are correct before doing that.

Any comments on my results above?

Mark
post #4208 of 4678 Old 05-10-2019, 08:00 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

The movie was good also. We watched The LEGO Movie 2; everything was awesome! I also checked the Colossus vs Juggernaut fight scene from Deadpool 2 and that had more kick than before.

post #4209 of 4678 Old 05-10-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
The other option would be to lower the filter frequency range for the sub to 20Hz in the app so it effectively does nothing to the sub EQ.
Tried that... Got the low bass back, however, I lost some mid bass impact that audyssey was trying to bring up to flat to 80hz or so...

Thanks I. For tip... As that does indeed work also...
post #4210 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Just a general suggestion for the app that would be cool and would make it more user-friendly...

When adjusting correction range or using the curve editor, it would be cool if the app could provide little boxes to type in the frequency and dB, rather than just relying on manual finger slides.

-
giomania and DS-21 like this.

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
post #4211 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 392
New to the app and just looking for opinions on how this sub curve looks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A1D82140-8B91-4410-8C70-AF64E29A13BC.png
Views:	72
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	2565386  

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #4212 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
Just a general suggestion for the app that would be cool and would make it more user-friendly...

When adjusting correction range or using the curve editor, it would be cool if the app could provide little boxes to type in the frequency and dB, rather than just relying on manual finger slides.

-

I’ve had good luck with a stylus. Not perfect, but better than X-ray vision to look through my fingers. Lol
giomania likes this.
post #4213 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 07:35 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

MultEQ Editor: New App for Denon & Marantz AV Receivers & Pre/Pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
New to the app and just looking for opinions on how this sub curve looks.

FYSA: The after curves are just estimations, since Audyssey doesn’t perform post-calibration measurements. That said, it would appear your response drops off significantly below 40 Hz.

How does it sound?

Mark

post #4214 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 07:38 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyrythm1k View Post
I’ve had good luck with a stylus. Not perfect, but better than X-ray vision to look through my fingers. Lol

I was having a hard time on my iPhone 7, but any changes I made at 20 Hz disappeared, making me think they don’t allow curve adjustment points at 20 Hz.

Anyone else experience that issue?

post #4215 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I find if I make changes below the roll-off, it doesn't take. Didn't spend too long tracking it down though.
post #4216 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 09:27 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee1 View Post
I find if I make changes below the roll-off, it doesn't take. Didn't spend too long tracking it down though.

Thanks. What’s the rolloff?

post #4217 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks. What’s the rolloff?
My sub rolls off around 40hz so trying to extend it below 40hz does nothing. It seems like any changes applied below 40hz gets applied to above the rolloff and not below. Used REW to see the before and after effects of the change.
post #4218 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
FYSA: The after curves are just estimations, since Audyssey doesn’t perform post-calibration measurements. That said, it would appear your response drops off significantly below 40 Hz.

How does it sound?

Mark

I think my bass was a little deeper before I ran Audyssey. In fact almost too much boom. I’ve read somewhere to give it a week or so to see if I get used to it. This morning was the first time I felt like it wasn’t quite enough bass. I’m no basshead, but for movies I definitely want the bass to be impactful. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. Also both of my subs are in the front of the room. I guess maybe I should move one to the rear or the side of the room?

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #4219 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
I think my bass was a little deeper before I ran Audyssey. In fact almost too much boom. I’ve read somewhere to give it a week or so to see if I get used to it. This morning was the first time I felt like it wasn’t quite enough bass. I’m no basshead, but for movies I definitely want the bass to be impactful. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. Also both of my subs are in the front of the room. I guess maybe I should move one to the rear or the side of the room?
Any time you need a bass boost you should adjust the gain on your sub

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #4220 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
Any time you need a bass boost you should adjust the gain on your sub

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Thank you, that makes it simple.

post #4221 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I made a diagram for a close Audyssey mic placement pattern, based on information in the FAQ.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	2565488  

HDTV: Panasonic P55VT50 Plasma
AVR: Denon X3500H
SPEAKERS: Ohm (mains), Chane 2.4 (center), Rythmik F12G (sub), DefTech ProMonitor 80 (sats)
MEDIA PLAYER: Oppo BD83
post #4222 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyrythm1k View Post
Yep, good idea, I also thought of that a while back, but don't have one...need to pick one up.

-

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
post #4223 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
It is probably easier to make the changes on the AVR. Using the AVR it is easier to note the changes you made. Many people bump the subs up 3 to 6 db after running Audyssey.

If you are going to try different sub locations I highly recommend learning REW and using it to guide you.
post #4224 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post
It is probably easier to make the changes on the AVR. Using the AVR it is easier to note the changes you made. Many people bump the subs up 3 to 6 db after running Audyssey.

If you are going to try different sub locations I highly recommend learning REW and using it to guide you.
Silly me, I forgot to turn the volume back up after running Audyssey 🙄

post #4225 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
Yep, good idea, I also thought of that a while back, but don't have one...need to pick one up.

-

You can get em for pretty cheap. My 6s plus had problems with sensitivity, but my XR is great. Might not be any better for ya but the cost of admission is pretty low...
post #4226 of 4678 Old 05-11-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
My sub rolls off around 40hz so trying to extend it below 40hz does nothing. It seems like any changes applied below 40hz gets applied to above the rolloff and not below. Used REW to see the before and after effects of the change.
This is by design -- Audyssey will NOT apply any EQ filters below the measured roll-off, as that could potentially overdrive the speakers and damage them.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4227 of 4678 Old 05-12-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
This is by design -- Audyssey will NOT apply any EQ filters below the measured roll-off, as that could potentially overdrive the speakers and damage them.
Thanks for the info. That makes sense from an auto correct perspective. I know my subs have to Xmax to handle some EQ below that though, so it is limiting my setup by doing this with no facility for improvement.

Also, if a user boosts the area in the curve editor below the rolloff, Aud applies that boost ABOVE the roll-off. It is good to not potentially overdrive the speakers;however if the app is going to give the user control then it would be nice to have a bit more flexibility as not all users will do something crazy .
post #4228 of 4678 Old 05-12-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Been messing around with limiting the EQ to 300hz. Honestly, can't really tell a difference in my movie demos since I can't do a straight A to B comparison. Maybe easier to tell with music.

I'll leave it at 300hz for a few days/weeks to see if I notice anything. The Audyssey app graphs make it seem like a terrible "pre calibration" result since the graph shows scribbles varying between +10 and -10 from the line.
post #4229 of 4678 Old 05-12-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. That makes sense from an auto correct perspective. I know my subs have to Xmax to handle some EQ below that though, so it is limiting my setup by doing this with no facility for improvement.
Yeah, Audyssey seems really careful about adding boost to subs, especially in the low frequency range. There's no doubt if your sub can take some low end boost (sealed) the best way to do that is with a miniDSP or similar before running Audyssey.

I have, however, found the idea of Audyssey doing nothing below the rolloff of the main speakers not quite accurate, or at least a little overly generalized. In my experience Audyssey can and will alter the speakers' output down there, even applying boost (though a limited amount). It won't try and radically flatten the curve below the rolloff, but it can raise the level of that curve relative to the rest of the frequency range.

I think that's important for people to know, especially for those who like to listen to 2-channel without a sub--it has the potential to make your mains sound quite a bit better without a sub.
ahblaza likes this.
post #4230 of 4678 Old 05-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Yeah, Audyssey seems really careful about adding boost to subs, especially in the low frequency range. There's no doubt if your sub can take some low end boost (sealed) the best way to do that is with a miniDSP or similar before running Audyssey.

I have, however, found the idea of Audyssey doing nothing below the rolloff of the main speakers not quite accurate, or at least a little overly generalized. In my experience Audyssey can and will alter the speakers' output down there, even applying boost (though a limited amount). It won't try and radically flatten the curve below the rolloff, but it can raise the level of that curve relative to the rest of the frequency range.

I think that's important for people to know, especially for those who like to listen to 2-channel without a sub--it has the potential to make your mains sound quite a bit better without a sub.

Yes. Audyssey adds eq below the roll off. I don’t know why that gets repeated so often. Audyssey tried to shape a 12dB per octave slope to prepare for the crossover in the avr to be applied. If that requires a boost, it will add one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon , Marantz , multeq editor app

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page