MultEQ Editor: New App for Denon & Marantz AV Receivers & Pre/Pros - Page 142 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2397Likes

post #4231 of 4568 Old 05-12-2019, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaucom View Post
Yes. Audyssey adds eq below the roll off. I don’t know why that gets repeated so often. Audyssey tried to shape a 12dB per octave slope to prepare for the crossover in the avr to be applied. If that requires a boost, it will add one.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it adds eq to shape the crossover region at and below the rolloff. But you can't really change or eq below the rolloff using the APP in the curve editor tab. If you want the change the roll off after running the auto calibration using the curve editor I have not been able to do it effectively on the AV7705. But I suspect it acts the same way on all Denon Marantz units.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 4568 Old 05-12-2019, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 101
No, it won't really try to change the rolloff much, but it can change the level of it and the level below the rolloff. That can be helpful running full range or blending with boosted subs.
ahblaza likes this.
post #4233 of 4568 Old 05-12-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Zone 2 Line Level

Hi,
I have a second zone with a separate integrated amp connected via RCA cables. The 8500 allows for a fixed output setting anywhere from -79 to 18 dB. I was wondering if anyone knew which setting would be equivalent to line level. I thought maybe 0, but that sounds somewhat too loud.
Thank you,
Morgan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4234 of 4568 Old 05-12-2019, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee1 View Post
Yes it adds eq to shape the crossover region at and below the rolloff. But you can't really change or eq below the rolloff using the APP in the curve editor tab. If you want the change the roll off after running the auto calibration using the curve editor I have not been able to do it effectively on the AV7705. But I suspect it acts the same way on all Denon Marantz units.

No you can’t change the shape if the rolloff with the curve editor in the app. Audyssey Pro did that for you when you changed the crossover before sending the calibration to the avr. I have requested this feature be added to the editor app but don’t know if it ever will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4235 of 4568 Old 05-12-2019, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgiastic View Post
Hi,
I have a second zone with a separate integrated amp connected via RCA cables. The 8500 allows for a fixed output setting anywhere from -79 to 18 dB. I was wondering if anyone knew which setting would be equivalent to line level. I thought maybe 0, but that sounds somewhat too loud.
Thank you,
Morgan.

Sorry, accidentally posted this on the wrong thread.
My bad.
Morgan
post #4236 of 4568 Old 05-14-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Ive started using the editor app on my Denon X3400H comparing to the onboard Audyssey. One thing odd that I see is sub level is +3dB on the app compared to the AVR onboard calibration. Everything else is a bit lower. Distances are ~ the same. I used same 8 mic positions as best I could but they may have been just a smidge different, but not much. Didn't touch anything else with the speakers or subs.

Is this a normal difference between the app and onboard? I cant blame minute differences in mic position since everything else seems within normal variance.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aud.png
Views:	292
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	2566978  
post #4237 of 4568 Old 05-15-2019, 01:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2109 Post(s)
Liked: 2420
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Ive started using the editor app on my Denon X3400H comparing to the onboard Audyssey. One thing odd that I see is sub level is +3dB on the app compared to the AVR onboard calibration. Everything else is a bit lower. Distances are ~ the same. I used same 8 mic positions as best I could but they may have been just a smidge different, but not much. Didn't touch anything else with the speakers or subs.

Is this a normal difference between the app and onboard? I cant blame minute differences in mic position since everything else seems within normal variance.

Spoiler!
Your AVR SW1 level offset was out of range at -12dB so the -9dB app offset is better. Even the -11.5dB offset for the other one is a bit too close to the out of range limit (+-12dB.)

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #4238 of 4568 Old 05-15-2019, 04:12 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:

What did you notice during the subwoofer level matching step at the beginning? Where was the speaker icon on the scale?

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #4239 of 4568 Old 05-15-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the replies. My goal was to compare the two calibration tools making no changes to anything in the environment to see how they behave. Yes, -12 is right at the edge. If the observed 3dB delta between the 2 measurements is consistent, it would be exactly on the lower limit. I did the app version first and since it was well within range, I didnt bother looking at the sub level matching at the beginning phase of the AVR. I didnt want to make any changes that would skew the test. I usually run the matching just a bit on the hot side as is recommended in the excellent subwoofer guide here. It was just "popping into and out of" the hot side. I wish the app had a dB level instead of the color scale.

I have to button up a couple more room treatment things and will make an adjustment in the SW trim when I recalibrate. Question is still there. Since I did these tests back to back with no changes in speaker positions or sub amp level, why the 3dB SW difference when all the other speakers were either same or .5 or 1 dB in the opposite direction? Im deciding between using the AVR or App version. I like the usability of the app version and am leaning that way. Just looking to see if this 3dB difference is something that has been observed by others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Your AVR SW1 level offset was out of range at -12dB so the -9dB app offset is better. Even the -11.5dB offset for the other one is a bit too close to the out of range limit (+-12dB.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
What did you notice during the subwoofer level matching step at the beginning? Where was the speaker icon on the scale?

Mark

giomania likes this.

Last edited by sjm817; 05-15-2019 at 05:55 AM.
post #4240 of 4568 Old 05-15-2019, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hello,

I just upgraded my Projector and the new one have more fan noise, should run again as there is more noise in the room now?

I'm thinking in doing because I can't hear or watch TV in the same volume I used before I don't know if is related to the new Projector or is something else.

Any ideas?

Normally I watch TV at -25, but now need to be at -10 and sometimes it feels low.

Thanks
Jose

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #4241 of 4568 Old 05-15-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. My goal was to compare the two calibration tools making no changes to anything in the environment to see how they behave. Yes, -12 is right at the edge. If the observed 3dB delta between the 2 measurements is consistent, it would be exactly on the lower limit. I did the app version first and since it was well within range, I didnt bother looking at the sub level matching at the beginning phase of the AVR. I didnt want to make any changes that would skew the test. I usually run the matching just a bit on the hot side as is recommended in the excellent subwoofer guide here. It was just "popping into and out of" the hot side. I wish the app had a dB level instead of the color scale.

I have to button up a couple more room treatment things and will make an adjustment in the SW trim when I recalibrate. Question is still there. Since I did these tests back to back with no changes in speaker positions or sub amp level, why the 3dB SW difference when all the other speakers were either same or .5 or 1 dB in the opposite direction? Im deciding between using the AVR or App version. I like the usability of the app version and am leaning that way. Just looking to see if this 3dB difference is something that has been observed by others.
To add to this I did a REW Sweep to compare. Graph is 20K sweep with 1/6 smoothing. Both are Ref profile, 80Hz xover, no SW boost. I left the 2K MRC dip in the App profile so they would be the same.
The higher SW dB level of the APP version shows here. I like the look of the App version better. With the better usability of the APP it seems the way to go. I will take out the MRC dip and reload it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	May15.png
Views:	344
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	2567104  
torolan likes this.
post #4242 of 4568 Old 05-15-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2458 Post(s)
Liked: 3397
Quote:
To add to this I did a REW Sweep to compare. Graph is 20K sweep with 1/6 smoothing. Both are Ref profile, 80Hz xover, no SW boost. I left the 2K MRC dip in the App profile so they would be the same.
The higher SW dB level of the APP version shows here. I like the look of the App version better. With the better usability of the APP it seems the way to go. I will take out the MRC dip and reload it.

Since you're concerned with bass response of the App and AVR run the same two sweeps from 15-300Hz with no smoothing applied and set your vertical scale to 5dB increments, are those sweeps C+Subs or L&R +subs?
If possible....thanks
post #4243 of 4568 Old 05-15-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Since you're concerned with bass response of the App and AVR run the same two sweeps from 15-300Hz with no smoothing applied and set your vertical scale to 5dB increments, are those sweeps C+Subs or L&R +subs?
If possible....thanks
Thnx. Im not so much "concerned" as curious if this is normal observed behaviour. The speaker discovery and the REW sweep both show that the AVR Audyssey sets the subs 3dB lower than the App version. I did do a 300Hz no smoothing graph and it shows the same results. The graphs shown are L&R+subs 80Hz xover. Unfortunately I cant do center. When I first set up REW, ASIO4ALL worked fine and I was able to pick my channels. It suddenly stopped recognizing my UMIK and I have not fixed it so have to use the java 2 channel version. I suppose I should spend some time and fix that........
post #4244 of 4568 Old 05-15-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, -12 is right at the edge.
No it's not. That is out of range. There is no way to tell if it wanted to go farther with a +-12dB offset range. +-11.5dB is right on the edge not +-12dB.

Quote:
Question is still there.
And here's your answer

Its been well documented here that the readings from the app can and have been different from the receiver. All that matters is that all speakers have been set to a similar baseline within each of their respective setting runs. Cross comparing different gear running the same program is a waste of time and effort.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #4245 of 4568 Old 05-15-2019, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
No it's not. That is out of range. There is no way to tell if it wanted to go farther with a +-12dB offset range. +-11.5dB is right on the edge not +-12dB.

And here's your answer

Its been well documented here that the readings from the app can and have been different from the receiver. All that matters is that all speakers have been set to a similar baseline within each of their respective setting runs. Cross comparing different gear running the same program is a waste of time and effort.
Your answer that it is well known that there can be differences helps. That is what I was looking for. No matter. I've decided to run the app version which was -8.5 and -9 anyway. I was just curious if this 3dB SW difference was a normal difference that people have seen. Not sure what you mean by different gear and same program. The gear was identical. The program was different (Audyssey app VS onboard) on the same AVR.
post #4246 of 4568 Old 05-15-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Your answer that it is well known that there can be differences helps. That is what I was looking for. No matter. I've decided to run the app version which was -8.5 and -9 anyway. I was just curious if this 3dB SW difference was a normal difference that people have seen.
Yeah, hard to tell. The other difference is rerunning the 8 mic positions. Unless you placed stickers at each one of the 8 locations then the second run probably had slightly different mic locations. That plus the individual room plays a part as well.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by different gear and same program. The gear was identical. The program was different (Audyssey app VS onboard) on the same AVR.
Receiver version versus laptop version. Your audio gear was the baseline.

I also misspoke when I said same program. Similar not same.

post #4247 of 4568 Old 05-15-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2458 Post(s)
Liked: 3397
Quote:
Thnx. Im not so much "concerned" as curious if this is normal observed behaviour. The speaker discovery and the REW sweep both show that the AVR Audyssey sets the subs 3dB lower than the App version. I did do a 300Hz no smoothing graph and it shows the same results. The graphs shown are L&R+subs 80Hz xover. Unfortunately I cant do center. When I first set up REW, ASIO4ALL worked fine and I was able to pick my channels. It suddenly stopped recognizing my UMIK and I have not fixed it so have to use the java 2 channel version. I suppose I should spend some time and fix that........
Sorry for the late reply, I see Madmax was kind enough to answer your question and confirm that results will vary between App and AVR and is not uncommon. Your sweeps are almost identical from both App and AVR calibration, the only variance is you're 3 dB down in level from 15-80Hz, I also just noticed the AVR set the sub trims at -12dB, that's the end limit and you really don't know for sure but from the graphs it's an indicator that it's indeed 3dB lower than the App.. I wouldn't put much more time and effort into comparing the two unless you're able to use a one mic position quick Audy run with both App and AVR where you don't have to move the mic at all for each run.....too many variables trying to replicate the mic positions (16) and your room's bass response....speakers are like flashlights, subs are like candles........

The REW link in my sig will guide you through trouble shooting the ASIO driver if it's not recognizing your mic, also if not done yet you should update to the latest version of REW V5.20 Beta 10
https://www.avnirvana.com/resources/ Good luck and happy listening....

Cheers
Madmax67 likes this.
post #4248 of 4568 Old 05-15-2019, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Your answer that it is well known that there can be differences helps. That is what I was looking for. No matter. I've decided to run the app version which was -8.5 and -9 anyway. I was just curious if this 3dB SW difference was a normal difference that people have seen. Not sure what you mean by different gear and same program. The gear was identical. The program was different (Audyssey app VS onboard) on the same AVR.
I had the same exact observation, and I pinged Audyssey about it, didn't get a convincing answer though. Pasting the conversation below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your request (#15699) has been received, and is being reviewed by our support staff.

To review the status of the request and add additional comments, follow the link below:
http://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/requests/15699

Kryptonite, Jan 6, 11:45 PM PST:
My setup:
Polk TSI series speakers (TSI 300 fronts, CS10 center, TSI 100 surrounds)
2x PSW110 subs

I've had a Denon 2113 for about 5 years in a 7.1 setup, and after calibration using Audyssey Multeq XT, these were the final trims I've always obtained for the subs:
Sub1 independently calibrated at ~50% volume = 0db ~ +/-0.5db
Sub2 independently calibrated at ~50% volume = 0db ~ +/-0.5db
Both subs pinged at the same time with a Y cable during final Audyssey calibration = -2db ~ -3.0db
For reference, the fronts and centers calibrated to around -7db, and the surrounds at -5db
And the setup sounded great, with a good amount of tight bass

I recently moved to a Denon X2500H 2 months ago in a 5.2.2 setup, and after calibration using Audyssey Multeq XT, these were the final trims obtained for the subs:
Sub1 independently calibrated at ~50% volume = 0db
Sub2 independently calibrated at ~50% volume = 0db
Both sub pinged at the same time during final Audyssey calibration = -3.0db
For reference, the fronts and centers calibrated to around -7db, and the surrounds at -5db
And the setup sounded better than the Denon 2113 did. The bass was great.

So, both the Denons which shared the same Multieq XT scheme calibrated near identically, 5 years apart, and sounded perfect with great bass

During the new years' sale, I got a great deal on an X3500H, and I traded in my X2500H, and I was now looking forward to Multieq XT32 with Subeq-HT / separate calibration for 2 subs

The X3500H receiver arrived over the weekend, and Audyssey had me individually adjust my sub volumes to 75db before calibration started:
Sub1 at ~60~65% volume = 74~76db
Sub2 at ~60~65% volume = 74~76db

But after calibration, I was shocked to see an extremely low trim of -9db set to both subs.
The fronts & center calibrate to -4.5db, with the surrounds at -2.5db.
In essence, not only are the subs running much lower than before, but the other speakers are running much louder than before.
This has sort of resulted in a double whammy - and the cumulative result is that I have lost most of the bass in the room.

Also note, my fronts and center always calibrate to large with crossovers of 40Hz, and the surrounds always calibrate to small with crossovers of 60Hz. I move all of the them to small, and set all crossovers to 80Hz.
That's the only change I do on top of the calibration results, and this part was consistent either the Denon 2113, X2500H or the X3500H

Updated the X3500H to the latest software, disabled Eco mode and calibrated all over again, but no change.

Do you know if this is a bug in Multieq XT32, or in the new receivers?
I've had 2 different Denons with Multieq XT calibrate near identically 5 years apart, but I cannot understand why the X3500H with Multeq XT32 calibrates so differently

Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

## In replies all text above this line is added to the ticket ##
Ticket #15700 : Audyssey Multeq XT32 sets very low trim levels for sub, and higher trim levels to other speakers, compared to XT
Your request (#15700 ) has been deemed solved.

To review, comment and reopen the request, follow the link below:
http://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/requests/15700

Customer Support Team, Jan 7, 1:00 PM PST:
Hello,

MultEQ level aligns all speaker channel to movie reference level. This means that -30 dBFS band limited pink noise will measure 75 dB (C, Slow) at the main listening position when master volume is set to 0dB (Reference level). Changing the AVR/amplifier connected to the speakers is a significant change in the setup, however the measurements make sure that even with different hardware the speakers are all level aligned to this standard reference level. The speakers should remain the same measured loudness, however using different hardware will cause the trims to also be different to match the above mentioned level.

It is also ok to changes trims to your preference, it will not affect room correction.

If you raised the external gain knob on the subwoofer, yes it makes sense that the trims will have a more negative number, the trims have to counter that increase in gain.

Regarding the loss of bass; a large part of this may be that XT32 is now correcting the response to be flatter than you are use to with previous receivers. It may take some time to get use to a system that is calibrated to be flat. I highly recommend trying movies before making changes.
You are making the best move settings all speakers to small and raising crossovers. We recommend doing this after calibration for all receivers that have a subwoofer. It is not a choice Audyssey get's to make during calibration to set speakers to Large, it is something all receiver manufacturer have chosen for when a low roll off is detected in speakers.

It sounds like everything is working as intended for the receiver, but you may have a preference for more bass than a room corrected system. You may want to try increasing the subwoofer trims to your preference. A smartphone app can also be used to manual edit the target curve, which would allow you to increase low frequencies.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audy...210584625?mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ultEq&hl=en_US

Kind regards,
Audyssey Support

Kryptonite, Jan 10, 4:59 AM PST:

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to explain in detail. I am aware of the info you delved into, ,but, I'm not fully convinced with the answer.

Please review new data that I have, hope you can help me arrive at a solution quicker.

Ok, I have more data in case you any of you have more ideas on what might be happening:

So, I read that it is okay to ignore Audyssey's warning about the subs not being equal before calibration begins, and so I reverted both my subs back to 50%, so now everything I mention below should be comparable apples to apples.

Note that my fronts, center and surrounds are within +/-2 db of each other between receivers, so I'm just going to ignore those for now and just focus on the subs.

With Denon 2113, Multeq XT, calibration done through the receiver
Sub1 independently calibrated at ~50% volume = 0db ~ +/-0.5db
Sub2 independently calibrated at ~50% volume = 0db ~ +/-0.5db
Both subs pinged at the same time with a Y cable during final Audyssey calibration = -2db ~ -3.0db
-room fills with bass, sound is punchy

With Denon X2500H, Multieq XT, calibration done through the receiver
Sub1 independently calibrated at ~50% volume = 0db
Sub2 independently calibrated at ~50% volume = 0db
Both sub pinged at the same time during final Audyssey calibration = -3.0db
-room fills with bass, sound is punchy

With Denon X3500H, Multeq XT32, calibration done through the Multeq Editor Android app
Sub1 at ~50% volume, trim after calibration = -2~-2.5db
Sub2 at ~50% volume, trim after calibration = -3~-3.5db
-this feels more like my 2112 and X2500H did. But the second sub feels louder than the first sub

With Denon X3500H, Multeq XT32, calibration done through the receiver
Sub1 at ~50% volume, before calibration reads 68db, trim after calibration = -2.5~-3db
Sub2 at ~50% volume, before calibration reads 72db, trim after calibration = -7~-7.5db
-subs are equal, but bass feel is considerably lower to how the 2113 & X2500H sounds

Now, why is there such a big difference in calibrations with the same X3500H receiver, but when done using the receiver itself vs. the Android app?

I also would love to swap back and forth between these 2 calibrations on the X3500H to see which one I like more. But I only have the one done with the app stored on my phone, which when sent to the receiver would overwrite the other calibration that is currently there.

For the calibration was done using the receiver, is there a way to back up the receiver settings (including the audyssey curves), or just export the audyssey curve out of the receiver? This would allow me to swap back and forth and decide.

## In replies all text above this line is added to the ticket ##
Ticket #15700 : Audyssey Multeq XT32 sets very low trim levels for sub, and higher trim levels to other speakers, compared to XT
Your request (#15700 ) has been deemed solved.

To review, comment and reopen the request, follow the link below:
http://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/requests/15700

Customer Support Team, Jan 10, 9:36 AM PST:
There is not a way on the receiver to switch between calibrations, this is only available with the smartphone app.
The smartphone app does in some cases provide better correction. When there is an uncorrected dip or peak it will cause the level alignment to be different.

All of these are trim adjustments to reach a specific output at the main listening position. Specifically so that -30 dBFS band limited pink noise measures 75 dB (C, Slow) at the main listening when master volume is set to the 0 dB(reference), the actual dB number of the trim does not matter, it is the measured target level that is being reached at the main listening position that is being calibrated. It will not affect MultEQ room correction if you change the trims, you may change them to your preference. If you prefer to increase the trim on subwoofers, that is perfectly ok, many people change subwoofer levels to their preference because they like more or less bass.

The largest differences you are hearing is likely the correction of low frequencies and the level alignment taking into account that there is or is no longer a peak in the low frequencies due to correction.

Using the app you can choose to change the target correction or completely remove room correction using 'MultEQ Filter Frequency Range'. When the automated correction is not quite what you are looking for it is perfectly ok to customize to your preference.
post #4249 of 4568 Old 05-15-2019, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Im not going to do all the multi quote thing but very much appreciate everyone's input. The replies confirm that there are some variations between using the app and the onboard AVR calibration. In my case, I only saw a significant change in the subs which had me curious. I wasnt looking for a debate on calibration. Just "has anyone else seen this?" That's all. I'm well aware of the 12dB limits and would never run my system that way. Next time I fire up REW I will look at the ASIO4ALL and see why it stopped working.

Overall, I do like the app and will be sticking with it.
post #4250 of 4568 Old 05-16-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Seeking quick advisement.On my Marantz sr7012 audessey had set my mains and center to 60hz and the surrounds to 40hz..I'm thinking of going back and changing to 80hz for all. Would it be best to do this in the receiver settings or in the Multi app and then resend. If I'm not in the right thread I can ask in the Marantz thread. thanks

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #4251 of 4568 Old 05-16-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked: 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
Seeking quick advisement.On my Marantz sr7012 audessey had set my mains and center to 60hz and the surrounds to 40hz..I'm thinking of going back and changing to 80hz for all. Would it be best to do this in the receiver settings or in the Multi app and then resend. If I'm not in the right thread I can ask in the Marantz thread. thanks
My preference is to load any changes to distances, levels, and crossovers in the saved profile in the App so they are memorized there. Otherwise every time you resend the file from the App you'll have to remember to re-change those parameters.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4252 of 4568 Old 05-16-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
My preference is to load any changes to distances, levels, and crossovers in the saved profile in the App so they are memorized there. Otherwise every time you resend the file from the App you'll have to remember to re-change those parameters.
Thanks.I actually have a setting in my speaker crossover settings to go individual or all. At individual its the audessey setting at all it changes all speakers to 80hz. I went ahead and set to all. Basically I want to try to just make comparisons. Just a flick of a button. I'm leaving the actual app alone just in case I want to resend.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #4253 of 4568 Old 05-16-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This may seem irrelevant when it comes to audessey. I used to use the RS meter for my speaker settings awhile ago as I assume others did so aswell. Anyhow I still have mine and for kicks I tried it using the test tones of the receiver just to see comparisons as to what audessey had set. Master volume to "0" set meter to 80 or 70 and I gave it a try.Leaving the audessey speaker settings pact it wasn't even close to 75db. So wondering what gives? Don't get me wrong not changing my audessey settings but didn't expect such a drastic difference in the speaker db settings.Has anyone tried the same?

post #4254 of 4568 Old 05-16-2019, 02:03 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
This may seem irrelevant when it comes to audessey. I used to use the RS meter for my speaker settings awhile ago as I assume others did so aswell. Anyhow I still have mine and for kicks I tried it using the test tones of the receiver just to see comparisons as to what audessey had set. Master volume to "0" set meter to 80 or 70 and I gave it a try.Leaving the audessey speaker settings pact it wasn't even close to 75db. So wondering what gives? Don't get me wrong not changing my audessey settings but didn't expect such a drastic difference in the speaker db settings.Has anyone tried the same?

I tried that but was subsequently educated that the internal test tones don’t have Audyssey applied so it is not a good comparison.

You have to use some program material based tones via disc or files so Audyssey is engaged.

Mark

post #4255 of 4568 Old 05-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Thanks.I actually have a setting in my speaker crossover settings to go individual or all. At individual its the audessey setting at all it changes all speakers to 80hz. I went ahead and set to all. Basically I want to try to just make comparisons. Just a flick of a button. I'm leaving the actual app alone just in case I want to resend.

You can make copies of a profile with different settings for each. No need to change one profile each time. Otherwise yeah you might as well change it in the receiver.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Pansonic TC-P60VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Arris MX011ANM (Xfinity X1) | Apple TV 4K
post #4256 of 4568 Old 05-16-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I tried that but was subsequently educated that the internal test tones don’t have Audyssey applied so it is not a good comparison.

You have to use some program material based tones via disc or files so Audyssey is engaged.

Mark

Thanks.Wasnt aware that as soon you use the test tones audessey is disable.

post #4257 of 4568 Old 05-16-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Im not going to do all the multi quote thing but very much appreciate everyone's input. The replies confirm that there are some variations between using the app and the onboard AVR calibration. In my case, I only saw a significant change in the subs which had me curious. I wasnt looking for a debate on calibration. Just "has anyone else seen this?" That's all. I'm well aware of the 12dB limits and would never run my system that way. Next time I fire up REW I will look at the ASIO4ALL and see why it stopped working.

Overall, I do like the app and will be sticking with it.
When I was comparing XT32 (Marantz SR7011) via App vs AVR, the subwoofer when running from the App was consistently higher as well by about 3-4dB. The other consistent difference was my surrounds were set at 100hz as opposed to the AVR which would set it at 90hz or 80hz. Normally when I turn off DEQ, I would need to compensate by bumping up the sub level by 3-6dB. When running via the App, it was more than adequate.

All the other settings were almost identical each time.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #4258 of 4568 Old 05-16-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
When I was comparing XT32 (Marantz SR7011) via App vs AVR, the subwoofer when running from the App was consistently higher as well by about 3-4dB. The other consistent difference was my surrounds were set at 100hz as opposed to the AVR which would set it at 90hz or 80hz. Normally when I turn off DEQ, I would need to compensate by bumping up the sub level by 3-6dB. When running via the App, it was more than adequate.

All the other settings were almost identical each time.
Interesting and thanks. I didnt see any xover change from one to the other. People for some time have said that the post Audyssey bass was too low. Often a post calibration SW boost of ~ 5dB or so as you did was added. I wonder if with the app they "quietly" increased the SW calibration?
post #4259 of 4568 Old 05-16-2019, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Interesting and thanks. I didnt see any xover change from one to the other. People for some time have said that the post Audyssey bass was too low. Often a post calibration SW boost of ~ 5dB or so as you did was added. I wonder if with the app they "quietly" increased the SW calibration?
Interesting for sure. Before the update, I didn't like the app because it rolled off my sub at 20hz even though it can go lower. Also sounded more neutered in general.

Not sure if it is related but also in the after graph within the app, the flat bass line is above the "75" level, almost implying it is boosted.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #4260 of 4568 Old 05-17-2019, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Just bought the app and used it for the 1st time with my very old Samsung Galaxy S4 phone and Denon X3500 AVR. No issues and was easier to use than I feared. SPLs were all the same as the AVRs results, but all of the distances were different than I'm used to...... only 1/2 a foot, but all different.

I removed the MRC from all channels and limited the EQ to 1002hz for all channels............. you try to get to 1000hz exactly on a phone!

All of this time I thought I would love EQ frequency limitation, but I have to admit, I think I like full on XT32 Reference better. I'm going to raise the EQ to full bandwidth but keep the MRC OFF on all channels and resend it..... pretty cool little app.
d.j., ahblaza and Sal1950 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon , Marantz , multeq editor app

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page