MultEQ Editor: New App for Denon & Marantz AV Receivers & Pre/Pros - Page 144 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2653Likes

post #4291 of 5113 Old 06-09-2019, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello

Does anyone know how the audyssey multeq editor app should behave when you change
the crossover frequency of the speakers in the app?

After the measurement, the processor selects a crossover frequency for the speakers
and the app draws a frequency curve that depends on the crossover frequency that the speaker has.
You can see the low frequency roll off in the curve edit window, which is based on the crossover frequency.
Various speakers that get different crossover frequencies of the processor has
different frequency roll off in the curve edit window.

But when I change the crossover frequency in the app example from 40Hz to 80Hz
the frequency roll off in the curve edit window is not changed, it's still the same
frequency roll off as it was for 40hz.
If I do not change the curve, the integration between the sub and the speaker does not work well for me,
so I have to change it to a 12 db octave roll off at 80hz.

Is it meant that you should change the curve manually when you change the crossover frequency?
Shouldn't the app do it when you change the crossover frequency for the speaker?
Is this the way it should be or is it a bug in the program, how does it work for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4292 of 5113 Old 06-09-2019, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Question Where does the uploaded MultiEQ setting get stored?

After a very long wait for the right device I have successfully done a calibration run using my new Samsung S5e tablet. The screen is big enough to see what I am doing.

I uploaded the resulting room setting to the processor. The processor - in my case the Marantz 8805 - has two Audyssey settings, Reference and Flat. Has my MultiEQ calibration altered the Reference or altered the Flat? Should I decide to turn Audyssey off for some reason, when I turn it back on, what do I select to return to the results of all that effort with the app? I would guess it is the Flat setting, but whichever it is, that still leaves me wondering where the factory defaults are to be found.

Advanced apologies if I have overlooked the one post in 4,000 + that has already answered the question :-)
post #4293 of 5113 Old 06-09-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
Wow. The only time the app worked was the first time.
For me the app (iPhone) works perfectly every time. Most people posting here aren't having an issue with malfunction. Not sure why yours might be different. Perhaps the trouble is in your WiFi??

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4294 of 5113 Old 06-09-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 4189
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB of Poole View Post
After a very long wait for the right device I have successfully done a calibration run using my new Samsung S5e tablet. The screen is big enough to see what I am doing.

I uploaded the resulting room setting to the processor. The processor - in my case the Marantz 8805 - has two Audyssey settings, Reference and Flat. Has my MultiEQ calibration altered the Reference or altered the Flat? Should I decide to turn Audyssey off for some reason, when I turn it back on, what do I select to return to the results of all that effort with the app? I would guess it is the Flat setting, but whichever it is, that still leaves me wondering where the factory defaults are to be found.

Advanced apologies if I have overlooked the one post in 4,000 + that has already answered the question :-)
The flat is unaltered, except maybe turning MRC on or off. All your work is going to the Reference setting. If by factory defaults you mean unaltered Audyssey settings, make a copy of your Audyssey settings in the app, and modify one, and leave the other as your default.

Here is a FAQ by Rec Head that may answer some questions that you have:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post56565524
JJ7 and Madmax67 like this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!

Last edited by drh3b; 06-09-2019 at 09:40 AM.
post #4295 of 5113 Old 06-09-2019, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm surprised some old bugs and design flaws exist since the app's initial inception.

• Moving the curve too far delete's the adjacent frequency's point
  • Not being able to set 1 point and create a 2nd one without altering the entire curve.
  • Gain and frequency not being properly displayed in realtime in the curve editor ( I literally have to look at the EQ grid to reference where I am or remove my tablet pen and place it again)

At this point I would want a way to input frequency and gain my manually typing it in . Audyssey team if you're reading this. Look at the design of EQ Eight in Ableton .
post #4296 of 5113 Old 06-09-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB of Poole View Post
Should I decide to turn Audyssey off for some reason, when I turn it back on, what do I select to return to the results of all that effort with the app? I would guess it is the Flat setting, but whichever it is, that still leaves me wondering where the factory defaults are to be found.

Not quite sure I follow your question. If you're asking on how to turn off Audyssey as in not using it at all . Then you would go to your receiver's setup menu and select off with Audyssey. (Turn it back on to reference if you wish to use it again) If you want to revert to your default calibration with the app. You would either create a copy of the original calibration via the edit button to use as a backup to re-upload to the receiver or. Take the original calibration and undo the changes in curve editor and what not and then re-upload it again.
DJB of Poole likes this.

Last edited by denze; 06-09-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #4297 of 5113 Old 06-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlime View Post
But when I change the crossover frequency in the app example from 40Hz to 80Hz
the frequency roll off in the curve edit window is not changed, it's still the same
frequency roll off as it was for 40hz.
If I do not change the curve, the integration between the sub and the speaker does not work well for me,
so I have to change it to a 12 db octave roll off at 80hz.

Is it meant that you should change the curve manually when you change the crossover frequency?
Shouldn't the app do it when you change the crossover frequency for the speaker?
Is this the way it should be or is it a bug in the program, how does it work for you?
The curve you see is for Full Range correction of the speaker. It will not change when you change the crossover frequency. It's the frequency response you should expect if you set your speaker to Large. The crossover rolloff is applied to this curve and will work properly wherever you set it (you just can't see a picture of it). If you have REW or Omnimic you can take measurements and see this happening.

This is good--for years I thought Audyssey did nothing to speakers below the crossover frequency but that's not the case--it corrects each speaker as best it can until the speaker rolls off, even if you have the crossover set to a high frequency so that corrected response is available if you lower the crossover frequency or set the speakers to large.
post #4298 of 5113 Old 06-09-2019, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by denze View Post
At this point I would want a way to input frequency and gain my manually typing it in . Audyssey team if you're reading this. Look at the design of EQ Eight in Ableton .
I agree. Check out the Ratbuddy thread. I use that for every file now as I can type in the curve I want perfectly every time.
denze likes this.
post #4299 of 5113 Old 06-09-2019, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Sorry, wrong forum

Last edited by jabe00; 06-09-2019 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Wrong Forum
post #4300 of 5113 Old 06-09-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon AA View Post
I agree. Check out the Ratbuddy thread. I use that for every file now as I can type in the curve I want perfectly every time.

I'll give it a look
post #4301 of 5113 Old 06-09-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
The flat is unaltered, except maybe turning MRC on or off. All your work is going to the Reference setting. If by factory defaults you mean unaltered Audyssey settings, make a copy of your Audyssey settings in the app, and modify one, and leave the other as your default.

Here is a FAQ by Rec Head that may answer some questions that you have:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post56565524

Thanks - that is just what I wanted to know - and the FAQ URL is valuable too - so double thanks.
drh3b likes this.
post #4302 of 5113 Old 06-09-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denze View Post
Not quite sure I follow your question. If you're asking on how to turn off Audyssey as in not using it at all . Then you would go to your receiver's setup menu and select off with Audyssey. (Turn it back on to reference if you wish to use it again) If you want to revert to your default calibration with the app. You would either create a copy of the original calibration via the edit button to use as a backup to re-upload to the receiver or. Take the original calibration and undo the changes in curve editor and what not and then re-upload it again.

I was wondering whether the curve I was editing was the "Reference" or "Flat" curve. It seems it is the former and as I suspected, the answer was already in the FAQs (had I known where to look). All sorted now. You are right though, I'd have to reset the one I've changed if I wanted to go back to a factory setting.
denze likes this.
post #4303 of 5113 Old 06-12-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 457
.... I'm back and have a couple of questions.

I have already repurchased and reinstalled the App onto my old Samsung S4 phone. I was surprised that the one curve that I was able to create and use was 'still there' when I reinstalled the app.

I am buying a new Samsung S10 on Friday and will install the app onto it:

1) Do I need to uninstall the app from my current phone 1st?

2) Will the curve I referenced above 'follow' the app onto my new phone or is that curve actually installed somewhere deep and dark on my current phone and not into the app itself? ( I would like to keep that calibration result )

Lastly..... What is up with the 2 different Target Sound Options? High Frequency Roll Off #1 is the default option and by looking at them it looks like #2 is just a little more aggressive in its roll off...... or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT: I found this regarding the Target Sound Options so it answered my question: (page 32)
https://installer.audyssey.com/files...uide%204.0.pdf

Last edited by D Bone; 06-12-2019 at 01:55 PM.
post #4304 of 5113 Old 06-12-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2408 Post(s)
Liked: 1707
Quote:
.... I'm back and have a couple of questions.

I have already repurchased and reinstalled the App onto my old Samsung S4 phone. I was surprised that the one curve that I was able to create and use was 'still there' when I reinstalled the app.

I am buying a new Samsung S10 on Friday and will install the app onto it:

1) Do I need to uninstall the app from my current phone 1st?

2) Will the curve I referenced above 'follow' the app onto my new phone or is that curve actually installed somewhere deep and dark on my current phone and not into the app itself? ( I would like to keep that calibration result )

Lastly..... What is up with the 2 different Target Sound Options? High Frequency Roll Off #1 is the default option and by looking at them it looks like #2 is just a little more aggressive in its roll off...... or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT: I found this regarding the Target Sound Options so it answered my question: (page 32)
https://installer.audyssey.com/files...uide%204.0.pdf
1) No. You can install and run the app on as many devices as you like. (You'd probably have to buy it again if you switched between the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store.)

2) It won't magically appear on the new phone. However, you can transfer it in a number of ways. I have used the Google Drive option to transfer cal files to a Windows PC. (To look at them in the famous Ratbuddysee.)

The only options I get for target profiles are the two with high-frequency roll-off.

Incidentally, I get the most reliable results running the Android app under the Blue Stacks emulator on a Windows PC. It's still a bit flaky, but it does not usually crash in the middle of an 8 position measurement.
D Bone and Athory like this.
post #4305 of 5113 Old 06-12-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Well, someone got there before me. I nevertheless want to add the description of where to look for the cal files, inside your android phone/tablet. You will need a file browser App. I use X-plore.
Regards
Alessandro
D Bone likes this.

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.
post #4306 of 5113 Old 06-12-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Man, thanks guys! I don't know anything about Google Drive, or really anything phone related as I have a hate/hate relationship with phones in general. I did see an option on my phone about saving a copy and/or sending a copy so I'll look there now....

Thanks again guys, and don't be super surprised if I have another question about getting that curve to my new phone.

EDIT: Well I used the Send a Link feature in the app and sent the link to Google Drive and checking GD from my PC the file is there, but I have no idea what to do with it when I get my new phone or how to even access Google Drive from a phone.

I also sent it via email to myself which I did receive, but the same goes for it as above ^

Maybe I'll grab my screwdriver and open up my phone and see if I can find it that way....

Last edited by D Bone; 06-12-2019 at 05:22 PM.
post #4307 of 5113 Old 06-12-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^ Man, thanks guys! I don't know anything about Google Drive, or really anything phone related as I have a hate/hate relationship with phones in general. I did see an option on my phone about saving a copy and/or sending a copy so I'll look there now....

Thanks again guys, and don't be super surprised if I have another question about getting that curve to my new phone.

EDIT: Well I used the Send a Link feature in the app and sent the link to Google Drive and checking GD from my PC the file is there, but I have no idea what to do with it when I get my new phone or how to even access Google Drive from a phone.

I also sent it via email to myself which I did receive, but the same goes for it as above ^

Maybe I'll grab my screwdriver and open up my phone and see if I can find it that way....
I'm not sure that Google Drive is the most straightforward way to do the transfer, but...

To bring in a file from Google Drive, click on the plus sign (+) in the upper left corner, next to the help (?). You'll get the option to create a new file or to retrieve a file from Google Drive.
giomania and D Bone like this.
post #4308 of 5113 Old 06-12-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I'm not sure that Google Drive is the most straightforward way to do the transfer, but...

To bring in a file from Google Drive, click on the plus sign (+) in the upper left corner, next to the help (?). You'll get the option to create a new file or to retrieve a file from Google Drive.
Perfect! I don't think even I can screw that up....

Thanks for all your time and effort - very much appreciated.
post #4309 of 5113 Old 06-15-2019, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Worked exactly like you said...... thanks again!
vn800art likes this.
post #4310 of 5113 Old 06-21-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Does X3500H work with the app?

I am trying to recommend a Denon receiver for a friend and I landed on the AVR-X3500H but the Denon site does not show that the app works with the X3500H. Maybe the Denon site has not been updated to include this 2018 model?

Anyone have experience using the app with the X3500H?

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5/P5 in-wall
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #4311 of 5113 Old 06-21-2019, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
I am trying to recommend a Denon receiver for a friend and I landed on the AVR-X3500H but the Denon site does not show that the app works with the X3500H. Maybe the Denon site has not been updated to include this 2018 model?

Anyone have experience using the app with the X3500H?
it works fine with the x4500H. Cant imagine it would not work with the 3500
post #4312 of 5113 Old 06-21-2019, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

From the web page for the X3500H: " For the best sound in every room, use the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app, which takes you under the hood to set the AVR-X3500H to your exact specifications."
post #4313 of 5113 Old 06-22-2019, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 43
When I run Audyssey through the app (I haven’t tried through the AVP), it reports all my 4 Klipsch Dolby Atmos RP-500SA speakers as being out of phase. Wires are correct.
I’m guessing this is due to the ceiling reflections, but I’m not sure about my dedicated amp (Class D Audio) for those speakers.
Reversing the wires silences the error.
Has anybody seen this?
post #4314 of 5113 Old 06-22-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
From the web page for the X3500H: " For the best sound in every room, use the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app, which takes you under the hood to set the AVR-X3500H to your exact specifications."
Thanks!

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5/P5 in-wall
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #4315 of 5113 Old 06-28-2019, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I haven’t been doing anymore adjustments but noticed I get the best results with my mains closer to my tv stand. I especially notice the Atmos modules are clearer. The biggest difference is from my subs. I had them on the inside between the my centre and mains. That didn’t work out. Bass was localized and had little impact, I was also experiencing nulls. I moved them back on the outside and placed them much closer to wall, 3 inches. Bass was too heavy and not as detailed. If I leave them on the outside and pull them 6 inches from the wall and keep them closer to my mains I get the best results. I was getting a 7 dB dip at 120/150hz. 5 dB at 80/90hz. Now the dip is down to 3db at 80hz and 2db at 120/150hz. I’ve left it like this for over a month and everything sounds much better. I leave MultiEQ full range with MRC off and DEQ ON.

OLED65B7P/ OPPO UDP-203/ DENON X4300H/ Klipsch RP 440c/ Klipsch RP 250f/ Klipsch RP 240s x4/ Klipsch RP 140sa/ Dual SVS PB-1000/ SVS SoundPath Isolation System/ Auralex Mopad riser for center channel/
post #4316 of 5113 Old 06-28-2019, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstg View Post
. I’ve left it like this for over a month and everything sounds much better. I leave MultiEQ full range with MRC off and DEQ ON.
Very nice setup, I'm sure it's delivering a very quality sound.
rosstg likes this.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #4317 of 5113 Old 06-28-2019, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
Very nice setup, I'm sure it's delivering a very quality sound.
Thanks! I’m very happy with it. The acoustic panels I added make a big difference. I’ve gone back and forth between full spectrum and limited but full spectrum sounds better in my room for movies and TV.
kaydee6 likes this.

OLED65B7P/ OPPO UDP-203/ DENON X4300H/ Klipsch RP 440c/ Klipsch RP 250f/ Klipsch RP 240s x4/ Klipsch RP 140sa/ Dual SVS PB-1000/ SVS SoundPath Isolation System/ Auralex Mopad riser for center channel/
post #4318 of 5113 Old 07-01-2019, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 51
@j_at_audyssey ,

There is an update on the app to 1.4.2 on the iOS.
Could you share more information on what are the updates for this version?
The changelog in the app store does not detail specifics.
post #4319 of 5113 Old 07-01-2019, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I think there is a bug on 1.4.2. I cannot change the cross over frequency of my fronts from the 40hz set after calibration. It keep reverting to 40hz. Center and surround is okay.
post #4320 of 5113 Old 07-02-2019, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked: 2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee6 View Post
I think there is a bug on 1.4.2. I cannot change the cross over frequency of my fronts from the 40hz set after calibration. It keep reverting to 40hz. Center and surround is okay.
Did you set them to small in the speaker configuration setting?
ahblaza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon , Marantz , multeq editor app

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page