MultEQ Editor: New App for Denon & Marantz AV Receivers & Pre/Pros - Page 160 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2672Likes

post #4771 of 5144 Old 09-24-2019, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post
I am having trouble getting the app on IOS 13.1 to see my Marantz. It’s the first time I have tried the app so I can’t really blame it on the new OS.

So the app does not see the Marantz. I tried a manual IP entry; but the app does not seem to like the network address this has been assigned. I might have a format error relative to the third sequence. The app seems to want .10 (as in 198.16 8.10.x); but the default on my network is 192.162.0.xx)

I tried putting in a static IP but so far no joy which is probably related to IP conventions. It’s possible that there is a preferred format for the static IP; so I am open on that.

Any suggestions? The router is from Mediacom; the Marantz 6012 is on a hardwired lan and the iPad is on WiFi.

Is 13.1 released or in Beta?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 5144 Old 09-24-2019, 10:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Released
post #4773 of 5144 Old 09-24-2019, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post
I am having trouble getting the app on IOS 13.1 to see my Marantz. It’s the first time I have tried the app so I can’t really blame it on the new OS.
Any suggestions?
Hi originalsnuffy, try soft reset...turn receiver off, unplug power cord, wait about 15 minutes, plug in power cord and turn receiver on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4774 of 5144 Old 09-25-2019, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Almost everyone said "it depends on your room"....lolz

If the importance of the room, specifically the amount of indirect sound on the MLP, was understood and communicated to be of utmost importance before any recommendations for or against EQing are made, then it's ok.
post #4775 of 5144 Old 09-25-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi originalsnuffy, try soft reset...turn receiver off, unplug power cord, wait about 15 minutes, plug in power cord and turn receiver on.
Also, try resetting the router.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #4776 of 5144 Old 09-25-2019, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I went through and took some measurements with the MultEQ Editor App and it stopped seeing my Marantz AV 7703 when I was ready to push the file.

I spent around 4 hours trying to figure this out, I have a feeling it is something like my Marantz grabbed a new IP address via DHCP but the Marantz did not update its local HEOS or connectivity files.

Tried resetting the phone, reinstalling the app, deleting app cache, unplugging the preamp for 15 min, unplugging the internet and connecting to wireless, etc
(I think it started after installing firmware updates but I cannot be sure, I am about to factory reset the unit... I tried internet radio for the first time and it does not seem to be working properly, also HEOS app does not find it)

Phone is Pixel 3a with Android 10. (Maybe this is the issue?)

DIY HTR: One 800 lb. VBSS credenza, 3 horizontal Elusive 1099s, 2 HT-8 height duty wedges, & 2 DIY Volt 6 Tabletop Surrounds.
Bedroom:5 MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds, 2 hidden DIY shallow 12's, & 2 BST Bass Shakers on 2 PB875 Ensos.
post #4777 of 5144 Old 09-25-2019, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagtha View Post
I went through and took some measurements with the MultEQ Editor App and it stopped seeing my Marantz AV 7703 when I was ready to push the file.

I spent around 4 hours trying to figure this out, I have a feeling it is something like my Marantz grabbed a new IP address via DHCP but the Marantz did not update its local HEOS or connectivity files.

Tried resetting the phone, reinstalling the app, deleting app cache, unplugging the preamp for 15 min, unplugging the internet and connecting to wireless, etc
(I think it started after installing firmware updates but I cannot be sure, I am about to factory reset the unit... I tried internet radio for the first time and it does not seem to be working properly, also HEOS app does not find it)

Phone is Pixel 3a with Android 10. (Maybe this is the issue?)
Quick question, did you install the Auro upgrade?

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #4778 of 5144 Old 09-25-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
Quick question, did you install the Auro upgrade?
No

I am in the process of factory resetting the Marantz AV7703. Crossing fingers.

DIY HTR: One 800 lb. VBSS credenza, 3 horizontal Elusive 1099s, 2 HT-8 height duty wedges, & 2 DIY Volt 6 Tabletop Surrounds.
Bedroom:5 MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds, 2 hidden DIY shallow 12's, & 2 BST Bass Shakers on 2 PB875 Ensos.
post #4779 of 5144 Old 09-25-2019, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
No
I am in the process of factory resetting the Marantz AV7703. Crossing fingers.

OK Thanks, hope things worked out for you.
It seems my issues with communication started sometime after the Auro upgrade. But there were a number of other updates to the AV and the Editor in the meantime before I found out it had broken so who knowns.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #4780 of 5144 Old 09-25-2019, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi

Not sure if this question was asked before, but I'm curious to know. Is the post-calibration ("after") spectrum plot an assessment/prediction or actual validated results? I own a Denon AVR-X4400H and I've checked the before and after results using the MultiEQ app and REW with Umik-1 and while the before results look somewhat similar, the after results are not nearly flat on REW as they are on the MultEQ app? Is Audyssey cheating?

Thanks
kagtha likes this.
post #4781 of 5144 Old 09-25-2019, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB1000 View Post
Not sure if this question was asked before, but I'm curious to know. Is the post-calibration ("after") spectrum plot an assessment/prediction or actual validated results?
The former.

Quote:
I own a Denon AVR-X4400H and I've checked the before and after results using the MultiEQ app and REW with Umik-1 and while the before results look somewhat similar, the after results are not nearly flat on REW as they are on the MultEQ app? Is Audyssey cheating?
No cheating. Just a reasonable prediction of results in an imperfect world.
EB1000 and kagtha like this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #4782 of 5144 Old 09-25-2019, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks.

Is this the best that Audyssey XT32 can offer, or is there a better pro version which runs a post-calibration verification? Also, when I compare Audyssey calibration process to Dirac Live, it seems to me that Audyssey is only using time-domain analysis, while Dirac is using both time and full frequency sweep. Is this true? Would a Dirac live processor like one offered by MiniDSP connected between pre-out and external amp do a better job than Audyssey in getting a flat frequency response post calibrations?

Thanks
post #4783 of 5144 Old 09-26-2019, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Quote:
Is this the best that Audyssey XT32 can offer, or is there a better pro version which runs a post-calibration verification?
No and, afaik, none of the competing processes (DiracLive, AnthemRC, RoomPerfect, etc.) are any different.
Quote:
Also, when I compare Audyssey calibration process to Dirac Live, it seems to me that Audyssey is only using time-domain analysis, while Dirac is using both time and full frequency sweep. Is this true? Would a Dirac live processor like one offered by MiniDSP connected between pre-out and external amp do a better job than Audyssey in getting a flat frequency response post calibrations?
I have to ask you why you think that Audyssey is less effective? Note that the measurements that Audyssey (and other similar products) does are different from those that REW does and one cannot expect an exact duplicate of results. The only fair check is to use REW before and after and with identical mic position(s) to see what improvements are made.

Do I think that there are superior DSP/EQ products out there? Sure, but few are as easy or as well integrated with the AVR. Adding an external miniDSP is one alternative but putting it between pre- and power- means a redundant DAC/ADC/DAC process as well.
audiofan1, EB1000 and Sal1950 like this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #4784 of 5144 Old 09-26-2019, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 4908 Post(s)
Liked: 5288
Quote:
Not sure if this question was asked before, but I'm curious to know. Is the post-calibration ("after") spectrum plot an assessment/prediction or actual validated results? I
Just to add to Kal's response, this is Chris Kyriakakis' explanation of the "predicted" after response:

"The "after" is as real as it gets. It is the result of convolution of the clustered "before" responses with the filter that MultEQ calculated. Linear systems theory tells us that this will be the clustered "after" response. As you said, in order to obtain this same graph through measurement you would have to re-measure with the filters running and the mic in the exact same (to the cm) locations. You can see why this is impractical."

So it's less of a "prediction" than it is a mathematical calculation which will be true IF you measure in the EXACT same spots, use the EXACT same weighting algorithm, etc.

This reinforces why it's extremely difficult to reproduce those graphs with a tool like REW since it's nearly impossible to replicate the precise measurement points and of course REW doesn't have Audyssey's proprietary weighting/clustering algorithm. If the mic moves a few inches all of the little peaks and dips will shift slightly from the input data that Audyssey used. And of course you're also using a different microphone in each case!

So I would suggest that if you are using REW, take a few measurements in the general area of the "bubble" you measured during Audyssey, average the responses, and if the general shape of the average looks pretty close to the Audyssey target curve, then it's working as intended.

Although this isn't a multi-position average, this is a measurement I took a few months ago of all 7 "ear level" speakers with full range Audyssey and the Reference curve, it's 1/3 smoothed to focus on the shape but you can see they adhere pretty darn well to the target (and FYI, the MRC dip is indeed left on for the 4 surround speakers but turned off on the LCR, which is why there's a deviation around 2kHz):

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	181
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	2620272  
Alan P, pbz06, audiofan1 and 1 others like this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4785 of 5144 Old 09-26-2019, 03:48 PM

Has anyone else experienced issues with Heos music or seeing their AVR in the MultEQ Editor?

I tried factory resetting my AVR.

Is it possible that the latest firmware update started these issues?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

post #4786 of 5144 Old 09-26-2019, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Reran Audyssey since I installed my top middle speakers. Best calibration yet, especially in my bass. The sound is excellent.

OLED65B7P/ OPPO UDP-203/ DENON X4300H/ Klipsch RP 440c/ Klipsch RP 250f/ Klipsch RP 240s x4/ Klipsch RP 140sa/ Dual SVS PB-1000/ SVS SoundPath Isolation System/ Auralex Mopad riser for center channel/
post #4787 of 5144 Old 09-26-2019, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Am I correct in assuming that the after graphs that are so smooth without peaks and dips are in treated rooms? My graphs are smoother in the results page, but still jaggy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #4788 of 5144 Old 09-26-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post
Am I correct in assuming that the after graphs that are so smooth without peaks and dips are in treated rooms? My graphs are smoother in the results page, but still jaggy.

No, read like 5-10 posts back.

You’ll also only get such smooth graphs with XT32. Lower versions don’t have the resolution to get there.
JohnnytheSkin likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4789 of 5144 Old 09-26-2019, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Just to add to Kal's response, this is Chris Kyriakakis' explanation of the "predicted" after response:

"The "after" is as real as it gets. It is the result of convolution of the clustered "before" responses with the filter that MultEQ calculated. Linear systems theory tells us that this will be the clustered "after" response. As you said, in order to obtain this same graph through measurement you would have to re-measure with the filters running and the mic in the exact same (to the cm) locations. You can see why this is impractical."

So it's less of a "prediction" than it is a mathematical calculation which will be true IF you measure in the EXACT same spots, use the EXACT same weighting algorithm, etc.

This reinforces why it's extremely difficult to reproduce those graphs with a tool like REW since it's nearly impossible to replicate the precise measurement points and of course REW doesn't have Audyssey's proprietary weighting/clustering algorithm. If the mic moves a few inches all of the little peaks and dips will shift slightly from the input data that Audyssey used. And of course you're also using a different microphone in each case!

So I would suggest that if you are using REW, take a few measurements in the general area of the "bubble" you measured during Audyssey, average the responses, and if the general shape of the average looks pretty close to the Audyssey target curve, then it's working as intended.

Although this isn't a multi-position average, this is a measurement I took a few months ago of all 7 "ear level" speakers with full range Audyssey and the Reference curve, it's 1/3 smoothed to focus on the shape but you can see they adhere pretty darn well to the target (and FYI, the MRC dip is indeed left on for the 4 surround speakers but turned off on the LCR, which is why there's a deviation around 2kHz):

Just curious, why did you keep MRC on the other channels?
post #4790 of 5144 Old 09-27-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post

My room is treated. I also have a lot of soft furnishings.
post #4791 of 5144 Old 09-27-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Just curious, why did you keep MRC on the other channels?
Honestly was just experimenting, and that happened to be the way it was configured when I took these measurements. It's not my standard setting, I just wanted to find some measurements I had on hand with full range Audyssey EQ, then I noticed that dip at 2kHz and remembered that I had it configured that way.

As to why I did it at the time, I noticed the surrounds had a natural dip in that range in the "before" measurements (whereas my LCR speakers don't) so I was testing to see if it sounded better with Audyssey not trying too boost out that dip.
pbz06 likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4792 of 5144 Old 09-27-2019, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstg View Post
Reran Audyssey since I installed my top middle speakers. Best calibration yet, especially in my bass. The sound is excellent.

Looks like your still running mrc off and full range?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #4793 of 5144 Old 09-27-2019, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4x View Post

Depends what day you ask him

I'm the same way...I was testing today on my day off, and ended up back to Full Range (MRC Off, DEQ On).
rosstg likes this.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #4794 of 5144 Old 09-27-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4x View Post

Yes sir.

OLED65B7P/ OPPO UDP-203/ DENON X4300H/ Klipsch RP 440c/ Klipsch RP 250f/ Klipsch RP 240s x4/ Klipsch RP 140sa/ Dual SVS PB-1000/ SVS SoundPath Isolation System/ Auralex Mopad riser for center channel/
post #4795 of 5144 Old 09-27-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:

I'm the same way...I was testing today on my day off, and ended up back to Full Range (MRC Off, DEQ On).
This made lulz.

We need help. In all seriousness full range, MRC and DEQ seems to be the best balance in my room.

Last edited by rosstg; 09-27-2019 at 06:39 PM.
post #4796 of 5144 Old 09-27-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Hahahahha

I'm liking MRC off, full range, DEQ on as well.

Sounds fuller with the Klipsch RP's.

post #4797 of 5144 Old 09-30-2019, 11:03 AM

Eureka!!!!

I can see my AVR on all apps again!!

Hopefully this info will help someone.

The last firmware update must have failed because I was able to download a local file to load via USB. And it worked!

It is asking to upgrade but internet again, so I'll try again. Maybe the TV turned off the AVR prematurely since I had CEC on.

I am removing the HDMI cable for future updates.

CHEERS!!!!!!!! Catastrophe adverted.

PS To download the zip file to your laptop, you need to go to the Marantz support website and enter your model/ Serial#. ( I used the U.S. support site and it worked fine.)

post #4798 of 5144 Old 09-30-2019, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Eureka!!!!

I can see my AVR on all apps again!!

Hopefully this info will help someone.

The last firmware update must have failed because I was able to download a local file to load via USB. And it worked!

It is asking to upgrade but internet again, so I'll try again. Maybe the TV turned off the AVR prematurely since I had CEC on.

I am removing the HDMI cable for future updates.

CHEERS!!!!!!!! Catastrophe adverted.

PS To download the zip file to your laptop, you need to go to the Marantz support website and enter your model/ Serial#. ( I used the U.S. support site and it worked fine.)

Congrats, so issue was mainly your AVR wasn't able to update to the latest firmware? or something else.

Processor Marantz AV8805 Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x2 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables&Chords Wireworld & Belden
post #4799 of 5144 Old 09-30-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
Congrats, so the issue was mainly your AVR wasn't able to update to the latest firmware? or something else.
I could not get my AVR to show up in the MultEQ Editor app. (Or the remote app, or the Heos app) It showed the latest firmware was successful, it showed the Network connections were fine, etc. But it did not play sound in the "internet radio" source.

Marantz support had me factory reset and hard reset the Network Settings. I asked them if I could have the latest firmware file and they said that won't help and "we don't offer it anyway" So they wanted me to mail in the unit.

I told them it started happening after the last update... seriously? If only I discovered this Marantz upgrade firmware link the first time around.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooo happy I have the ability to connect to it again!!

post #4800 of 5144 Old 10-01-2019, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I am new to the MultEQ Editor app, but have made some great improvements over the last few days with being able to see the measured data of my room. I think I have everything dialed in pretty good except the center channel. For some reason the the power output drops off at ~10 khz. It doesn't seem to make a much sense since the L/R seem fine. The speakers are B&W 685s and HTM62. The receiver is the Denon AVR-X6300H. The L/R are bi-amped. The room is fairly well acoustically treated (https://imgur.com/a/Y71Iu).

The Frequency Response curves are here: https://imgur.com/a/4yY5JWO

Any ideas on why this would be happening would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by zcraig; 10-01-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon , Marantz , multeq editor app

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page