MultEQ Editor: New App for Denon & Marantz AV Receivers & Pre/Pros - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2636Likes

post #1891 of 5092 Old 12-27-2017, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post
You need to do a screenshot. I'm not sure how on an iphone but I'm sure Google does.
That's what I did then emailed them to myself...easy but a bit low tech way. It would be easier to merely transfer the info via email, etc. directly to a computer in a format that can be read.
But I did it...

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 5092 Old 12-28-2017, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked: 3135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Hi all,
DL'd the app and ran it...no problems though I did have to enter the avr's, Marantz SR5011, ip addy...actually just the last digit,
Audyssey ran fine and was a bit different from the software on the avr itself.
My question is: How the heck do I get the images on my iphone 7+ to my laptop, windows10, or in a thread such as this? I sent them as an email but they are a ".ady" file that I can't open. I googled how to open an .ady file and was recommended "json". I tried several with no luck so I suspect I have no clue what I'm doing and would appreciate a bit of help.
Thanks,
Kai
Why are you trying to open the cal file with something other than the app? Directly copying the file to another device via bluetooth worked for me.
post #1893 of 5092 Old 12-28-2017, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Why are you trying to open the cal file with something other than the app? Directly copying the file to another device via bluetooth worked for me.
Because I could email it and did so to myself from my iphone 7+ to my email addy but the file sent is an ".ady" file that no software on my laptop, windows10, can open and therefore did a google search finding the info I posted that you commented on.
There is no info on the ability to send files nor what can/can't be done with them other than on the mobile device...smart phone, etc. No tutorials, etc mean we all get to fumble along with some less fumblesome than others...I apparently am an "other".
I also tried sending it to my dropbox but same thing occurred.

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1894 of 5092 Old 12-28-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 273
The .ady files are the calibration files. Opening them has been mentioned earlier in the thread. You can open them with a hex editor but somebody said they are actually in a different format and I can't remember what it is. There was some talk about how to manually modify the settings. AFAIK nobody is really doing it.

I'm not quite sure what you are looking to do by emailing the .ady files. The only point seems to be if you wanted to send a calibration to someone else. If you just want the images then the screenshot is the only way. It should be noted that the "after" graph shown by the app is a guess. The app does not measure your speakers after it applies the filters and is pretty pointless.

Last edited by rec head; 12-28-2017 at 02:51 PM.
post #1895 of 5092 Old 12-28-2017, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Because I could email it and did so to myself from my iphone 7+ to my email addy but the file sent is an ".ady" file that no software on my laptop, windows10, can open and therefore did a google search finding the info I posted that you commented on.
There is no info on the ability to send files nor what can/can't be done with them other than on the mobile device...smart phone, etc. No tutorials, etc mean we all get to fumble along with some less fumblesome than others...I apparently am an "other".
I also tried sending it to my dropbox but same thing occurred.
The .ady file can only be used by the app and the only practical reason to send it to another device is for backup.

After examining with a hex editor I decided manually altering the file wasn't worth the effort.
post #1896 of 5092 Old 12-28-2017, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed. I read through the first 25 pages, then the final 10 pages and didn't see the answer. I have a very capable system with six 12" DIY subwoofers (2 locations) and I hate how Audyssey wants to roll them off from 30 hz and below. Is there any way to tell Audyssey to not touch my bass roll off?

Second, my mains are custom line arrays using Aura NS3 3" full-range drivers. Due to the nature of line arrays (comb filtering) and their tendency to need treble EQ implemented, again, is there any way to tell Audyssey to use a Flat target curve, instead of rolling off the high end of the response? My line arrays start to drop off at 8khz and are about -9dB at 20khz. I'd like to boost them, but it's a complete pain to do it manually with my fingers on my iPad for each channel. I wish I could just tell Audyssey to not apply a roll-off in the treble region.

Thanks in advance for any help!

(NOTE: Red trace is not mine. I just found a picture on Google and used that as an example.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	target curve.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	2336720   Click image for larger version

Name:	line array.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	2336722  
post #1897 of 5092 Old 12-31-2017, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone have any clue about what I posted above? I'd greatly appreciate any input.

Second, I purchased the app and went to my friend's house that has a 7.1 setup with a Denon X1300. I ran the MultEQ App and it came up with crossover frequencies. It's odd, because all 7 speakers are the same in-walls and it gave very different settings but whatever, I changed them all to 80hz. I noticed it gave no subwoofer crossover setting, which I found quite odd. Typically with plate amp subs you set the crossover to max and let the receiver handle the low-pass filter, so you're not double filtering. Looking at the Audyssey charts, his sub is running full-range and it's 6dB down point is around 200 hz, which means he's getting massive overlay from his 7 speakers and subwoofer. I know with my old Onkyo Audyssey MultEQ, I would set the crossover to 80hz and I verified it with REW; a nice, 12dB/octave low-pass at 80 hz. Am I supposed to send this file to the Denon, and then change the sub crossover to 80hz via the Denon?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Crossover.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2338208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub Graph.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	2338210  
post #1898 of 5092 Old 12-31-2017, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
All the same EXACT speakers in different locations will give different response, the ROOM is a Huge factor.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #1899 of 5092 Old 12-31-2017, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked: 4143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazeroth View Post
Anyone have any clue about what I posted above? I'd greatly appreciate any input.

Second, I purchased the app and went to my friend's house that has a 7.1 setup with a Denon X1300. I ran the MultEQ App and it came up with crossover frequencies. It's odd, because all 7 speakers are the same in-walls and it gave very different settings but whatever, I changed them all to 80hz. I noticed it gave no subwoofer crossover setting, which I found quite odd. Typically with plate amp subs you set the crossover to max and let the receiver handle the low-pass filter, so you're not double filtering. Looking at the Audyssey charts, his sub is running full-range and it's 6dB down point is around 200 hz, which means he's getting massive overlay from his 7 speakers and subwoofer. I know with my old Onkyo Audyssey MultEQ, I would set the crossover to 80hz and I verified it with REW; a nice, 12dB/octave low-pass at 80 hz. Am I supposed to send this file to the Denon, and then change the sub crossover to 80hz via the Denon?
No, that chart is just showing what Audyssey measured on the subwoofer during it's testing phase. It's crossing over at 80 Hz, since that is what you set all the crossovers to.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #1900 of 5092 Old 12-31-2017, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
No, that chart is just showing what Audyssey measured on the subwoofer during it's testing phase. It's crossing over at 80 Hz, since that is what you set all the crossovers to.
So before I changed everything to 80 hz it had different frequencies selected. For example, the center at 40, fronts at 60, surrounds at 80 and 90. In this case, if I didn't change anything, what would the sub crossover be? It doesn't make sense. If set to the lowest (40 center) then you'd get a massive hole in the fronts and surrounds. Same thing if it set it to the highest (90 surround) then you'd have massive overlap of bass for each speaker up to 90. I'm just very confused.

Does everyone else have no frequency selected for their sub crossover using the app, then you have to select in manually via the receiver?

I hope I'm not coming across mean; I'm just lost how this thing is supposed to work. Also, I can't understand why we can't disable the upper frequency roll-off. It's terrible.

Last edited by Mazeroth; 12-31-2017 at 10:55 PM.
post #1901 of 5092 Old 12-31-2017, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked: 4143
Quote:
So before I changed everything to 80 hz it had different frequencies selected. For example, the center at 40, fronts at 60, surrounds at 80 and 90. In this case, if I didn't change anything, what would the sub crossover be? It doesn't make sense. If set to the lowest (40 center) then you'd get a massive hole in the fronts and surrounds. Same thing if it set it to the highest (90 surround) then you'd have massive overlap of bass for each speaker up to 90. I'm just very confused.

Does everyone else have no frequency selected for their sub crossover using the app, then you have to select in manually via the receiver?

I hope I'm not coming across mean; I'm just lost how this thing is supposed to work. Also, I can't understand why we can't disable the upper frequency roll-off. It's terrible.
That's not how it works. Those crossover frequencies are where each channel crosses over with the subwoofer, and the subwoofer crosses over with that channel. There is a separate function to limit the top end of the LFE channel somewhere in speaker section on the AVR.
nathan_h and bigguyca like this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #1902 of 5092 Old 01-01-2018, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

Quote:
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed. I read through the first 25 pages, then the final 10 pages and didn't see the answer. I have a very capable system with six 12" DIY subwoofers (2 locations) and I hate how Audyssey wants to roll them off from 30 hz and below. Is there any way to tell Audyssey to not touch my bass roll off?

Second, my mains are custom line arrays using Aura NS3 3" full-range drivers. Due to the nature of line arrays (comb filtering) and their tendency to need treble EQ implemented, again, is there any way to tell Audyssey to use a Flat target curve, instead of rolling off the high end of the response? My line arrays start to drop off at 8khz and are about -9dB at 20khz. I'd like to boost them, but it's a complete pain to do it manually with my fingers on my iPad for each channel. I wish I could just tell Audyssey to not apply a roll-off in the treble region.

Thanks in advance for any help!

(NOTE: Red trace is not mine. I just found a picture on Google and used that as an example.)
The Roll-off below 20HZ/Anomalies in the corrected response/Cross over inaccuracy/ all these are real issues with the App. that some of us has, and though still no logical explanation, it actaully been discussed countless time here and on other forums as well, though it's getting better now with each update, but these issues they do still persist (personally i still have them all).
No you can,t pick up a starting/limiting point for the Multieq filters from the lower end and on your way up , but however u can pick up a starting point from the upper end and on your way down.
After the calibration if u turn off MRC. and choose (Flat) NOT Reference , this should gets u closer to your ideal Curve.
ahblaza likes this.

Last edited by marco1975; 01-01-2018 at 02:47 PM.
post #1903 of 5092 Old 01-02-2018, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The App just worked very well for me on my Marantz 7703 I have attached a screenshot of my before and after room correction curve for my left main speaker looks like the bass was very uneven beforehand.

I really like the ability to turn the Midrange Compensation Dip off in the App as it sounded a bit thin with it on
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	2339114  

Display LG OLED55C7, UHD Blu-ray Player Panasonic UB900, Processor - Marantz AV7703, Power Amp Rotel RMB-1585, Front Speakers Bowers & Wilkins 803 D3, Center Speaker Bowers & Wilkins HTM2 D3,
Rear Speakers Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3, Subwoofer SVS SB16-Ultra
post #1904 of 5092 Old 01-02-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3707 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud&Clear View Post
The App just worked very well for me on my Marantz 7703 I have attached a screenshot of my before and after room correction curve for my left main speaker looks like the bass was very uneven beforehand.

I really like the ability to turn the Midrange Compensation Dip off in the App as it sounded a bit thin with it on
Looks good. One thing to note though - the "after" result is a prediction by Audyssey. You don't know what the ACTUAL after result is unless you measure it with a separate tool, like a UMIK-1 mic and REW.
ahblaza and bmcn like this.
post #1905 of 5092 Old 01-02-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Looks good. One thing to note though - the "after" result is a prediction by Audyssey. You don't know what the ACTUAL after result is unless you measure it with a separate tool, like a UMIK-1 mic and REW.
I’m a novice here with Audyssey. I don’t understand why the graph would be a prediction on their part. Especially, when that graph is shown only ‘after’ you run Audyssey. After all, you have to run REW in order to see what it comes up with. With that said, has Chris or someone else representing Audyssey state that it’s a prediction and not the actual results?
post #1906 of 5092 Old 01-02-2018, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
I’m a novice here with Audyssey. I don’t understand why the graph would be a prediction on their part. Especially, when that graph is shown only ‘after’ you run Audyssey. After all, you have to run REW in order to see what it comes up with. With that said, has Chris or someone else representing Audyssey state that it’s a prediction and not the actual results?
Comparing an REW chart with the app's reveals the differences between in-room measurements and Audy's target curve.
post #1907 of 5092 Old 01-02-2018, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Comparing an REW chart with the app's reveals the differences between in-room measurements and Audy's target curve.
I would hope so. They’re two different measuring systems. Anyway, I’ll send an email out to Audyssey.
post #1908 of 5092 Old 01-02-2018, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would hope so. They’re two different measuring systems. Anyway, I’ll send an email out to Audyssey.
Easy, one's a target, the other's measured in-room response.
post #1909 of 5092 Old 01-02-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Easy, one's a target, the other's measured in-room response.
Hmmm.

Name:	DE66DB50-EB2A-4FA8-9065-42BD35A3F2A2.png
Views:	139
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	2339312

And here I thought this is the target curve...

Name:	9F229927-DE2B-49E2-9C69-437C7F3E20B0.png
Views:	135
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	2339314

...and this is the measured response and correction.
post #1910 of 5092 Old 01-02-2018, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Hmmm.

Attachment 2339312

And here I thought this is the target curve...

Attachment 2339314

...and this is the measured response and correction.

No measurement is done after correction. The first curve is the measured curve. The second curve shows what Audyssey thinks the attempted correction will do to try to hit the target curve. But it doesn't actually measure again after correction to see if it succeeded. And depending on what the causes of the peaks and dips were, equalization may not be able to solve them, thus the actual corrected curve may be different.
bmcn likes this.
post #1911 of 5092 Old 01-02-2018, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epetti View Post
...actual corrected curve may be different.
Simply, measured in-room response usually reveals vast differences to Audy's target curve.

Last edited by bmcn; 01-02-2018 at 05:09 PM.
post #1912 of 5092 Old 01-02-2018, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epetti View Post
No measurement is done after correction. The first curve is the measured curve. The second curve shows what Audyssey thinks the attempted correction will do to try to hit the target curve. But it doesn't actually measure again after correction to see if it succeeded. And depending on what the causes of the peaks and dips were, equalization may not be able to solve them, thus the actual corrected curve may be different.
That sucks! Almost looks like false advertising.

Thanks, guys...for the replies!
post #1913 of 5092 Old 01-03-2018, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 401 Post(s)
Quoted: 5644 Post(s)
Liked: 5499
Quote:
That sucks! Almost looks like false advertising.

Thanks, guys...for the replies!
It's still an improvement from their previous limited AVR implementation still. There are no measurement systems anywhere near the price range that actually measure and show a real room response after the fact. You have to get up into Trinnov type territory.
ahblaza and Perpendicular like this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #1914 of 5092 Old 01-03-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
...There are no measurement systems anywhere near the price range that actually measure and show a real room response after the fact...
No, as most recently pointed out by epetti, it doesn't.
post #1915 of 5092 Old 01-09-2018, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I get yesterday my new Denon x3400H and i have buy the App to for Android. I have only measured with the App, not on the Receiver too. This is my first Denon with XT32 and i am beginner.
post #1916 of 5092 Old 01-10-2018, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Lightbulb

Hey,

Very quick question:

Is the app linked to the version of Audyssey of the amp ?

So it will work better on an amp with XT32 than with XT ? Or it's independent ?

Xbox X, Rega, Nad, McIntosh & Focal
post #1917 of 5092 Old 01-10-2018, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What about the rolloff in the deepest bass in this app - is there anything new here?

Sorry for my bad english - I'm from Norway :)
post #1918 of 5092 Old 01-10-2018, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre b View Post
Hey,

Very quick question:

Is the app linked to the version of Audyssey of the amp ?

So it will work better on an amp with XT32 than with XT ? Or it's independent ?
No they are not linked, they work separately
post #1919 of 5092 Old 01-10-2018, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torolan View Post
What about the rolloff in the deepest bass in this app - is there anything new here?
If your question is about the Roll-off below 20HZ issue, then nothing new the issue still persist
post #1920 of 5092 Old 01-10-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Hope this is the right place. I have a Marantz sr7012 and ran the audessey from the app instead of the receiver. Is one better than the other for one. If I wanted to go back and run thru the receiver to compare do I need to turn off audessey in the receiver first since it was done via the app and then run auddesy thru the receiver? I just want to see what differences there would be if any.I can just resend via the app again if I decide to do so.thanks

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon , Marantz , multeq editor app

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page