MultEQ Editor: New App for Denon & Marantz AV Receivers & Pre/Pros - Page 99 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2326Likes

post #2941 of 4357 Old 09-16-2018, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
You might be talking about two different things. Audyssey has what they call a rolloff frequency, above which it won't try to correct your room. That's a good thing. It also has a bass rolloff in the target curves, which, at least in the app, do seem to imply a shallow high pass filter under 20hz. That's a not good thing. I'll test that soon
Thinking about it, there is the point that if the rolloff were removed, it should be switchable. Letting Audyssey try to correct speakers not capable of doing very low freg would only cause distortion and/or damage.
Ralps likes this.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satalites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Clementine bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 4357 Old 09-16-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2202 Post(s)
Liked: 3102
Quote:
...It also has a bass rolloff in the target curves, which, at least in the app, do seem to imply a shallow high pass filter under 20hz. That's a not good thing. I'll test that soon
Post #388 is the first of several in-room measurements using an early version of app on a 2.1 system, Aerial Acoustics 7B's & Rythmik F15HP. Repeated measurements showed little rolloff between 15-20 Hz and vast improvement <80 Hz compared to Audy off. Interested in reading your findings.

Last edited by bmcn; 09-16-2018 at 07:49 AM.
post #2943 of 4357 Old 09-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Using the app, you can recall saved Audyssey Calibrations, correct? What if you change speaker configurations? Would it still let you load a previous config?
cfraser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2944 of 4357 Old 09-18-2018, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Using the app, you can recall saved Audyssey Calibrations, correct? What if you change speaker configurations? Would it still let you load a previous config?

Yes, the calibration files are stored on the device you have the app loaded on. as many as you like. Not sure why you would want to load a calibration file for a different speaker system into the AVR, but---------

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
DIY Linux desktop w/Clementine bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #2945 of 4357 Old 09-18-2018, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 30
so my denon avr has audyssey calibration. i run that on the avr, it sets everything and the file is stored on the avr. if i get the app, i have to re-run the calibration using the app as it doesn't talk to the avr (i guess). but then where does the configuration file go? it has to go to the avr, no? otherwise how is it applied? if the file is stored on the phone, must i always have the phone with me when the avr is on? or does it store the config after calibration on the phone and then transfer it to the avr? if that's the case, why can't the app read the calibration file from the avr? and what if i make changes (crossover, levels, etc)? must i make them via the app or can i make them on the avr? do they transfer?

sorry for all of the questions but this is all very new to me and confusing.

---talbain---
post #2946 of 4357 Old 09-18-2018, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post
so my denon avr has audyssey calibration. i run that on the avr, it sets everything and the file is stored on the avr. if i get the app, i have to re-run the calibration using the app as it doesn't talk to the avr (i guess). but then where does the configuration file go? it has to go to the avr, no? otherwise how is it applied?
Yes, the phone takes measurements (impulse responses) from the receiver as you run the microphone measurements. The phone uses those to generate correction curves, which are sent back to the receiver, along with some other metadata about the detected stuff (speaker sizes, best crossover frequencies, etc.).

Quote:
if the file is stored on the phone, must i always have the phone with me when the avr is on? or does it store the config after calibration on the phone and then transfer it to the avr?
The file stored on the phone only contains the stuff I mentioned above: measured impulse responses for each channel, plus metadata like speaker sizes, crossovers (both suggested, and any you might have changed in the app), custom target curves (made by you in the app) and various other settings. When you do 'send to receiver' the app will calculate correction curves based on the Audyssey .ady file you are working with in the app, apply your target curve data, and will upload the correction curves to the receiver. After that, the receiver will use those settings until you re-upload or change stuff in the receiver UI. If you re-upload from the app, the receiver will forget any customizations you made in receiver UI. For example, if you changed the crossover in the receiver UI from 40hz (which was set in the app and uploaded to the receiver) to 80hz for a channel, if you reupload that file from the app, the receiver will be set to 40hz again.

You should try to make these changes in the app and save them to your .ady file, or you'll have to fix them in the receiver every time you upload.

Quote:
if that's the case, why can't the app read the calibration file from the avr?
I suspect this is because the AVR only stores the computed correction curves, and not the impulse responses the curve was generated from. The phone app stores the impulse responses, but only uploads the correction curve to the receiver. I bet the receiver discards the impulse responses after generating correction curves, when you run Audyssey without the phone app connected.

Quote:
and what if i make changes (crossover, levels, etc)? must i make them via the app or can i make them on the avr? do they transfer?
You can make them on the AVR too, but like I mentioned above, better to make them in the app, otherwise you'll lose those changes when you reupload, such as when you changed the target curve, an action you simply can't do in the receiver UI. If you aren't going to mess with curves or other app-only functionality, it's fine to upload from your phone, then change crossovers in the receiver UI.

Quote:
It's all good, those were some good questions
ahblaza and erudolph like this.
post #2947 of 4357 Old 09-18-2018, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 163
stupid question...

As the last guy on earth who doesn't use a smartphone, is there an inexpensive Android pad that can be used to run the editor?

5 Paradigm Studio 100 v3s, Servo-15 sub, Bryston 4B & 6B SST, Anthem AVM 20, Oppo bdp-95, LG 55" oled C7
post #2948 of 4357 Old 09-18-2018, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
Quote:

Yes, the calibration files are stored on the device you have the app loaded on. as many as you like. Not sure why you would want to load a calibration file for a different speaker system into the AVR, but---------
I actually want to try changing my Front Height Speakers to Top Front in my AVR. I hear some people try that with good results. My speakers won’t be physically moving at all. But I assume by changing the Amp assign, it will force me to redo Audyssey right? If I can reload a saved Configution since my setup is not physically changing, that would just save me time.
vn800art likes this.
post #2949 of 4357 Old 09-18-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pearce View Post
As the last guy on earth who doesn't use a smartphone, is there an inexpensive Android pad that can be used to run the editor?
I don't know. I suggest looking here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eyMultEq&hl=en

In particular:

"Compatible Android devices:
•Android Smartphones with Android OS ver.4.0(or higher)
•Screen resolution: 800x480, 854x480, 960x540, 1280x720, 1280x800, 1920x1080, 1920x1200, 2048x1536
* This application does not support smartphones in QVGA (320x240) and HVGA (480x320) resolution.
* This application does not support smartphones of less than 2GB RAM capacity.

Confirmed Android devices:
Samsung Galaxy S5 (OS 6.0.1), Samsung Galaxy S6 (OS 7.0), Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (OS 7.0), Samsung Galaxy S8+ (OS 8.0.0), Google (ASUS) Nexus 7 (2013) (OS 6.0.1), Google (HTC) Nexus 9 (OS 7.1.1)"

The 2GB requirement is for a RAM, not flash storage. A quick check at www.newegg.com shows a number of tablets with 2GB of RAM that cost as little as $130, $135 for makers who I've heard of. Is that cheap enough?
ahblaza likes this.
post #2950 of 4357 Old 09-18-2018, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

I've also heard of people using Bluestack(s?), which is an Android emulator. That might be a free option, if it works for you. Last I looked, they had rebranded it from a general purpose Android emulator, into a 'OMG PLAY MOBILE GAMES ON YOUR PC!!!1' toy, but don't let that scare you away.
post #2951 of 4357 Old 09-18-2018, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Be wary of devices with only 2GB of RAM. There must be 2GB of RAM available, sometimes some of the RAM is unavailable for general usage ("hidden" for system usage) and they won't let you download the app. Unfortunately there is no known way for us to help the developers by giving them the types of devices where the app works, their list is woefully incomplete/inadequate.
post #2952 of 4357 Old 09-18-2018, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
I've also heard of people using Bluestack(s?), which is an Android emulator. That might be a free option, if it works for you. Last I looked, they had rebranded it from a general purpose Android emulator, into a 'OMG PLAY MOBILE GAMES ON YOUR PC!!!1' toy, but don't let that scare you away.

Yes Jim, if you have Windoz on a laptop or PC, you can install the free Bluestacks3 android emulator program and install the Editor app to it. Runs very well on my PC here and my large 26" monitor makes it easy to see and adjust curves when desired.
I don't need no stickin smart phone.
satsok likes this.

post #2953 of 4357 Old 09-18-2018, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 163
thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
Yes Jim, if you have Windoz on a laptop or PC, you can install the free Bluestacks3 android emulator program and install the Editor app to it. Runs very well on my PC here and my large 26" monitor makes it easy to see and adjust curves when desired.
I don't need no stickin smart phone.

That's great. I knew there was Android software out there, but I wasn't sure what was safe. Does it work with mouse and cursor (no touch screen)?

5 Paradigm Studio 100 v3s, Servo-15 sub, Bryston 4B & 6B SST, Anthem AVM 20, Oppo bdp-95, LG 55" oled C7

Last edited by Jim Pearce; 09-18-2018 at 03:38 PM.
post #2954 of 4357 Old 09-19-2018, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
I actually want to try changing my Front Height Speakers to Top Front in my AVR. I hear some people try that with good results. My speakers won’t be physically moving at all. But I assume by changing the Amp assign, it will force me to redo Audyssey right? If I can reload a saved Configution since my setup is not physically changing, that would just save me time.
I'm 99% sure that if you change the Amp Assign setting you will need to rerun Audyssey. The plus side is that once you have run it for both speaker setups then you can go back and forth between the saved configurations. Just name them Front Height and Top Front and it will be easy to try it out.
post #2955 of 4357 Old 09-19-2018, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
so my denon avr has audyssey calibration. i run that on the avr, it sets everything and the file is stored on the avr. if i get the app, i have to re-run the calibration using the app as it doesn't talk to the avr (i guess). but then where does the configuration file go? it has to go to the avr, no? otherwise how is it applied? if the file is stored on the phone, must i always have the phone with me when the avr is on? or does it store the config after calibration on the phone and then transfer it to the avr? if that's the case, why can't the app read the calibration file from the avr? and what if i make changes (crossover, levels, etc)? must i make them via the app or can i make them on the avr? do they transfer?

Check out the FAQ in my sig
vn800art likes this.
post #2956 of 4357 Old 09-19-2018, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post
I'm 99% sure that if you change the Amp Assign setting you will need to rerun Audyssey. The plus side is that once you have run it for both speaker setups then you can go back and forth between the saved configurations. Just name them Front Height and Top Front and it will be easy to try it out.
I don't know where it starts from in the annual range of Denon/Marantz, but once you have set everything in the receiver and in the App, sent to the receiver the two calibrations, each time you can also save settings for each layout (one with TOP and one with HEIGHT) to a single thumb drive, so you will have to write down smtg on them to remember which is which. In my Sr7011 the thumb drive procedure is much quicker then sending the different calibrations from the App.
Regards
Alessandro

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.
post #2957 of 4357 Old 09-19-2018, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you. What I would like to do, if possible, is save my Audyssey config, change my speakers in the Amp assign to the heights being tops, and then load the previously saved config into the new setup. Would it let me do that, or would it consider the config invalid because the speakers have changed?
post #2958 of 4357 Old 09-19-2018, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's great. I knew there was Android software out there, but I wasn't sure what was safe. Does it work with mouse and cursor (no touch screen)?
Yes, perfectly. No touch screen here or needed.

post #2959 of 4357 Old 09-19-2018, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can't do it your way. You must run the setup for each speaker layout. After you have done that then you can switch between configurations using the app or like @vn800art said you can save multiple AVR configurations to USB and then switch between them. I don't have much experience doing it the USB way.
vn800art likes this.
post #2960 of 4357 Old 09-19-2018, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Sending/restoring settings.
In my setup (7.1.4 + Vog), via App it now takes about 3 minutes (in the beginning it was much more). Via Usb (pls note you need 1 thumbdrive for each setting saved) it takes maybe 1 minute and you are done ( pls note that the procedure of saving INTO the thumbdrive must be followed as described in your manual, and this can take something more than 1 minute, but has to be done only once).
Also take into consideration that via Usb you save ALL the settings in the Avr. Different speaker setups may also need or could be preferred at your liking some different setting in other fields. These are also saved in the Usb drive.
Regards
Alessandro

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.
post #2961 of 4357 Old 10-03-2018, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Been a while, I want to get my program done for you folks, I need a volunteer/tester though. I need someone with Audyssey MultEQ XT to run a calibration from the phone app. Ideally, you'd configure it as a 2.1 setup in the amp assignment thing, even if you have more speakers, and just do the minimum number of positions, three I think.

If someone can do that for me and send me the .ady file (my username here at gmail), I'll be in a good position to finish this thing up.

Thanks!
ahblaza likes this.
post #2962 of 4357 Old 10-03-2018, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Been a while, I want to get my program done for you folks, I need a volunteer/tester though. I need someone with Audyssey MultEQ XT to run a calibration from the phone app. Ideally, you'd configure it as a 2.1 setup in the amp assignment thing, even if you have more speakers, and just do the minimum number of positions, three I think.

If someone can do that for me and send me the .ady file (my username here at gmail), I'll be in a good position to finish this thing up.

Thanks!

ady sent via email

Denon AVR-X6400H,Sony KDL50W829 ,Virgin Media V Box HD, WDTV, PS3, Philips DVP9560, Marantz CD67, BK Monolith Plus x 2, KEF TDM 23C,23F & 34DS, Jamo D500, Darbee Darblet, Belkin F9G6223uk3M, Buttkicker LFE kit, IsoAcoustics L8R430, Mede8er 800X3D, Behringer B1200d, AC Infinity Aircom T9
post #2963 of 4357 Old 10-03-2018, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

File looks great, thanks. I just need one more, from someone with MultEQ XT. I have receivers with MultEQ and XT32, none with XT though, so I can't generate one of those.
ahblaza likes this.
post #2964 of 4357 Old 10-04-2018, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
File looks great, thanks. I just need one more, from someone with MultEQ XT. I have receivers with MultEQ and XT32, none with XT though, so I can't generate one of those.
Assuming that I don't need to do a "good" calibration (it will be noisy here) I can probably do it today.
post #2965 of 4357 Old 10-04-2018, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Assuming that I don't need to do a "good" calibration (it will be noisy here) I can probably do it today.
Can be as messy as you like, it really is the thought that counts in this case :P

Do me one favor though, please let me know what your settings are for reference/flat, and what it detects your speakers as, small or large, plus crossover frequency if small. There was some weird data in the last file I saw, or rather there was some missing data - it didn't say large or small, and didn't have the crossover level. I'd like to figure out what makes it do that, then I'll be ready to get an alpha release out there.

Thanks!
ahblaza likes this.
post #2966 of 4357 Old 10-04-2018, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

File sent.

What settings do you want to know for reference/flat?
post #2967 of 4357 Old 10-04-2018, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Replied to the email. For those who might wonder, I just want to know if the target curve type is set to reference or flat
post #2968 of 4357 Old 10-04-2018, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just realized something that might helped others that want to help Ratbuddy. You don't need to upload the new calibration to your AVR. I saved my whole AVR setup to USB before doing the 2.1 calibration for him. It wasn't until after I was done that I realized I didn't have to upload it and therefore none of my AVR settings were changed.

A 3 point 2.1 calibration is really quick to do. It took me longer to find the mic.
ahblaza likes this.
post #2969 of 4357 Old 10-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
A 3 point 2.1 calibration is really quick to do. It took me longer to find the mic.
What 3 points do you use?

post #2970 of 4357 Old 10-04-2018, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not sure if that's a trick question. I used 1,2,3. Didn't bother with the mic stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon , Marantz , multeq editor app

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page