Gentlemen and Ladies: Advise? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 43 Old 04-12-2017, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrds View Post
Hi Vivace,

Your post was extremely helpful. Thank you!

I did look into the Classe Sigma SSP after your recommendation and it is closest to fitting the bill in terms of what I am looking for. And I did notice the XLR in/out for the Front L/R Mains and am okay with that.

Do you have any concerns regarding future upgrade-ability? I'm not familiar with the brand and their support.

For now I have to limit the HT setup to 5.x channels. For Now. I'm Hopeful! ----- Recently watched a TV show "The Tunnel" (PBS) (2013 release) and the main character Karl puts it best in one of the later episodes: "I'm living under the tyranny of Interior Design."

So the fact that the SSP is only 7.1 is ok, for now. I didn't dive into the manual, but I'm guessing that one of the channels could be set up as a sub out since I'd like to have at least a .2 system. Do you know?

Anything else regarding the Classe Sigma SSP? (I'll also check out the forum threads on it)

Thanks, again.
The Classe Sigma SSP Mkll version will be released next month or in June with dolby atmos, dts-x, hdcp 2.2 for 4k video & hdmi 2.0 upgrades. And the retail price will increase to $6k. The original Sigma SSP retails for $5k but with no supports for dolby atmos, dts-x, 4k video hdcp 2.2.

Fyi, the Classe Sigma SSP isn't equipped with automatic room EQ calibration software but Classe instead provides manual PEQ, which requires proper tools and equipments and thorough knowledge and experience on how to implement it. I would suggest that you have your certified experienced Classe dealer to calibrate using manual PEQ. Or you can hire an ecperienced professional calibrator or accoustician to do it for you. This only applies to multi-channel use for movies (home theater). For 2ch use for listening to stereo music I would leave the PEQ off.

The Classe Sigma SSP has a true analog bypass but Classe refers to it as a digital bypass, thus bypassing all digital processings when used as an analog stereo preamp. This is the area where the Classe shines.
It is also great for multi-channel use for home theater if it's calibrated properly and correctly using its manual PEQ. PEQ stands for Parametrix EQ.

The Sigma SSP's circuitry for front L/R channeld are true differential and fully balanced circuitry. Not all gears that provide xlr balanced connections have true differential or fully balanced internally all the way from input to output.
The Sigma SSP is (only for front L/R channels). All Classe gears (amps & preamps) are fully balanced internally all the way from input to output.
The Marantz AV8802, Anthem AVM60, Yamaha, Onkyo pre pros aren't true differential or fully balanced internally eventhough they provide xlr balanced connections. The balanced inputs are converted to single-ended internally and converted back to xlr balanced output terminals.

The NAD M17 and the M27 amp I believed are also fully balanced circuitry internally but I'm not 100% positive.

However, if your main usage is strictly for home theater I would just get the Anthem AVM60 ($3k). This unit performs extraordinary for multi-channel (home theater) with the ARC engaged. Better than the Classe Sigma SSP or the Marantz AV8802 or the Yamaha.

You can read many different reviews regarding the Classe Sigma SSP from different professional hifi reviewers. The Sigma SSP gets A rating on Stereophile's highly recommended components.

Fyi, the Sigma series is Classe's entry level series offerings, and are priced much lower than Classe's Delta series products but still offer great sound quality.
I myself own the Classe Delta series gears paired with B&W 800 series Diamond speakers. B&W speakers and Classe or Rotel are known to have great sonic synergy together. What are your speakers btw?

In regatds to subwoofer output, the Sigma SSP has only one subwoofer output and I'm not sure if the remaining two channels can be configured to output LFE for subwoofers. I don't think you could but again I'm not sure.
I would consult your Classe dealer.
malikarshad and davidrds like this.

Last edited by vivace; 04-12-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 04-12-2017, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 48
@vivace

Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful response in the post above.

I did read a number of recent pages from the Sigma Series thread. It looks like the very first units are just rolling out.

I think it's wise to wait for feedback from owners of the SSP on the latest updates to the Mk II. before finalizing on a choice.

Since 2ch audio is a priority, accounts for a higher percent of time, and my room setup is mixed use and not optimized for HT, your advice as well as other members', to consider the Anthem AVM 60 is a good one.

I don't have a true standalone stereo preamp, so adding one will bring the inherent versatility that such units bring to the table. This would allow me to hold off on the HT pre / pro decision while recent pre/pros get sorted out and the soon-to-be newer versions get released. I'm still mulling this over...I could also go with a DAC/Pre, something like the Benchmark DAC3 which includes pre amp versatility and HT Bypass. No shortage of options to blow the budget on.

As for speakers, I just picked up a pair of Tekton Double Impacts. They are great. Looking to get a matching center once I'm sure about them.

The rest of my speakers are a mixed esoteric bunch from circa 2005-2010. Chario, Gemme, and Vaughn. I will probably rotate each in from time to time to change things up. And use a pair for rear surround duty. As you know, this stuff is now worth pennies on the dollar despite being great to listen to and enjoy... so I'm likely to hold on to them. We have recently moved into a new home and I'm setting up my office...hopefully I can get some audio video in that room as well.
post #33 of 43 Old 04-12-2017, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I'm in a very similar position to the OP, and as Vivace has so nicely recapped, have narrowed it down to the Classe SSP or Anthem AVM 60. I love two channel music on a variety of different levels. It's more than just the musical enjoyment, there is a certain romance to it that has been a part of my life for almost as long as I can remember. Having said that, I'm 90% sure i will go with the Anthem as my two channel and home theater system are one in the same. I spend probably 30 hours a week watching TV or movies, and four hours a week with two channel audio. Add to that the cost differential coupled with the built in room correction and the Anthem feels like a better choice at the moment.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 Old 04-13-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
@vivace

Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful response in the post above.

I did read a number of recent pages from the Sigma Series thread. It looks like the very first units are just rolling out.

I think it's wise to wait for feedback from owners of the SSP on the latest updates to the Mk II. before finalizing on a choice.

Since 2ch audio is a priority, accounts for a higher percent of time, and my room setup is mixed use and not optimized for HT, your advice as well as other members', to consider the Anthem AVM 60 is a good one.

I don't have a true standalone stereo preamp, so adding one will bring the inherent versatility that such units bring to the table. This would allow me to hold off on the HT pre / pro decision while recent pre/pros get sorted out and the soon-to-be newer versions get released. I'm still mulling this over...I could also go with a DAC/Pre, something like the Benchmark DAC3 which includes pre amp versatility and HT Bypass. No shortage of options to blow the budget on.

As for speakers, I just picked up a pair of Tekton Double Impacts. They are great. Looking to get a matching center once I'm sure about them.

The rest of my speakers are a mixed esoteric bunch from circa 2005-2010. Chario, Gemme, and Vaughn. I will probably rotate each in from time to time to change things up. And use a pair for rear surround duty. As you know, this stuff is now worth pennies on the dollar despite being great to listen to and enjoy... so I'm likely to hold on to them. We have recently moved into a new home and I'm setting up my office...hopefully I can get some audio video in that room as well.
Although your listening room isn't optimized for ht setup you can still get the Classe Sigma SSP and have your certified and experienced Classe dealer to perform manual calibration for you using its manual PEQ. If it's done correctly and properly it will give you great results.
This would be a cheaper route than getting the Anthem AVM60 plus a dedicated standalone stereo preamp with ht bypass.

Alternatively, you can still get the Anthem AVM60 for home theater and get a good quality stereo preamp with ht bypass. There are plenty of choices out there. The Classe Delta CP800 stereo preamp is one great choice for your stereo preamp. It has a ht bypass input. The CP800 has a good built-in DAC. The DAC configuration is dual differential meaning that it uses 2 DAC chips per channel.
Actually, the Sigma SSP uses the same DAC chip as the CP800 preamp but the Sigma SSP uses only one DAC chip per channel for its front L/C/R channels and a subwoofer channel.

These are just one of few suggestions.
post #35 of 43 Old 04-13-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmayerkmayer View Post
I'm in a very similar position to the OP, and as Vivace has so nicely recapped, have narrowed it down to the Classe SSP or Anthem AVM 60. I love two channel music on a variety of different levels. It's more than just the musical enjoyment, there is a certain romance to it that has been a part of my life for almost as long as I can remember. Having said that, I'm 90% sure i will go with the Anthem as my two channel and home theater system are one in the same. I spend probably 30 hours a week watching TV or movies, and four hours a week with two channel audio. Add to that the cost differential coupled with the built in room correction and the Anthem feels like a better choice at the moment.
Kevin,
Yeah, the Anthem AVM60 will be a good choice in your case. Its stereo performance for music isn't bad at all IMO but isn't in the same league as the Classe Sigma SSP. Its stereo performance is on par with the Marantz AV8802. It is decent enough.
post #36 of 43 Old 04-13-2017, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Just fired up a different chain...with the Schiit Yggdrasil feeding the HeadAmp GS-X MK II.

I have the GS-X in preamp mode driving the Tektons via the Moon Neo 330A amp.

All is good. Very good in fact, given that all the gear and cables have been in boxes for months and the Moon 330A has been unused until now.

It also gives me a feel for how a stand-alone stereo preamp would fit into the system.
post #37 of 43 Old 04-13-2017, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

I THANK all the previous posters for their advice and direction.

@phantom52 @pgwalsh @jdsmoothie @ChromeJob @FeathersMcGraw @Tori @vivace @kmayerkmayer (hope I didn't miss someone)

Here is where I am at this point.

Holding pattern for the HT focused Pre / Pro until the updated versions get released and the updated versions have some owner feedback.

Which means sticking with 2Ch for Movies, etc., for the time being.

I may purchase a standalone stereo Preamp for the duration of the time gap OR to give me flexibility in my choice of a HT focused Pre / Pro. This would help to supercharge my 2ch needs but would divert funds from the HT side of things.

OR keep the HeadAmp in my main room (vs the office) as a stereo Preamp and use the stereo Preamp budget to purchase the Tekton Center, and the XLR ICs and Speaker Cabling I'm going to need for the HT system.

Just want to let all of you know that I am grateful for your assistance. This exercise has helped clarify a number of things, including budgetary priorities and sifting through Wants vs Needs (relatively speaking, of course ).

Any additional thoughts, comments, guidance?
pgwalsh likes this.
post #38 of 43 Old 04-13-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Your very welcome and it seems to be a good idea. Waiting a little never hurts as long you are able to do so. Something will be coming out soon that will fill your needs for your HT set-up. Good luck.
post #39 of 43 Old 04-19-2017, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

An update:

Pre-ordered the OPPO UDP-205 earlier today.

This allows me to go ahead with getting the center and surrounds set up and driven direct by the OPPO to the NAD M27. Certainly not an optimal setup but definitely workable, though this still requires a stereo preamp to work elegantly with my 2ch setup.

Plus, it buys me time with respect to following the Classe Sigma and waiting for the 2017 AV Pre / Pro releases.
pgwalsh likes this.
post #40 of 43 Old 04-19-2017, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
An update:

Pre-ordered the OPPO UDP-205 earlier today.

This allows me to go ahead with getting the center and surrounds set up and driven direct by the OPPO to the NAD M27. Certainly not an optimal setup but definitely workable, though this still requires a stereo preamp to work elegantly with my 2ch setup.

Plus, it buys me time with respect to following the Classe Sigma and waiting for the 2017 AV Pre / Pro releases.
That should be a nice unit. You can use it as a preamp for 2 channel and it has USB DAC in. I have a 203 and holding off on the 205 for reviews, but it's tempting.
post #41 of 43 Old 04-20-2017, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
That should be a nice unit. You can use it as a preamp for 2 channel and it has USB DAC in. I have a 203 and holding off on the 205 for reviews, but it's tempting.
Are you saying that the 205 will only serve as a 2ch preamp but not serve as a preamp for the 7.1 analog out?

What's your take on the 203?

I have a BDP-105 that I was holding off on modding for 2ch playback,until the replacement came out. Decision time.

Thanks.
post #42 of 43 Old 04-20-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Are you saying that the 205 will only serve as a 2ch preamp but not serve as a preamp for the 7.1 analog out?

What's your take on the 203?

I have a BDP-105 that I was holding off on modding for 2ch playback,until the replacement came out. Decision time.

Thanks.
I'm sure you have looked at the site for the Oppo 205. It says that yes you can also do 7.1 channel analog out.

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
post #43 of 43 Old 04-20-2017, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

@phantom52

Thanks. It's just the way I read the post, it put the scare in me. : )

Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page