What AVR to pick? Recommendations? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #31 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
If you can get marantz 7010 for 700$ or below go for it.

You can go get something like denon 3300 if you like audyssey for under $500 brand new! 3300 sounds very similar to 7010.

It does surprise me how many people had onkyo because it was the most powerful and best sounding. Was that era from 2008-2012 were they had a issue. So they break. It really sucks.

Wouldn't you want to find something as good or better than your onkyo 809? A upgrade would be to a Yamaha if you no longer feel comfortable with onkyo.

I think a lot of people would be amazed with new onkyo rz line. Rz900 is a great avr and is better than people would realize
Here you go again about how great the Onkyo's are. To the OP get a YAMAHA,Denon or Marantz. Leave the Onkyos on the shelves where they belong. As for member @Timothy1180 you keep stating how great the Onkyo's RZ line is but there you are on the RZ900 thread trying to sell yours. If members would read the last two or three pages on that very thread they would realize that the RZ line is no better than any of Onkyo's previous models from the last 4 or 5 years. Same persistent problems. Reliability issues among other ongoing problems. Read em for yourself.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-rz900-29.html
MeanMachine likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
If you can get marantz 7010 for 700$ or below go for it.

You can go get something like denon 3300 if you like audyssey for under $500 brand new! 3300 sounds very similar to 7010.

It does surprise me how many people had onkyo because it was the most powerful and best sounding. Was that era from 2008-2012 were they had a issue. So they break. It really sucks.

Wouldn't you want to find something as good or better than your onkyo 809? A upgrade would be to a Yamaha if you no longer feel comfortable with onkyo.

I think a lot of people would be amazed with new onkyo rz line. Rz900 is a great avr and is better than people would realize
So they break? Mine broke twice and lets just say Onkyo customer service was a pain on the second HDMI board failure. I won't go into details because I'm not trying to flame any company here. I'm a consumer and they'll never get another dime from me and I'll leave it at that. As far as comparing sound quality the Marantz is much better with music. It's not even close. Movies are similar but I'm in the camp that most sound equal and the difference is in the room correction software. As for your assertion that Onkyo outsells D/M I'd love for you to link facts to support that. Onkyo was one of the best bang for your buck AVR's before quality control became of less importance. This thread is about recommendations and based off my consumer experience I can no longer in good conscience recommend them. Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, and Anthem is the direction I'd look.
post #33 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I've already stated I love my Yamahas. I've also said buy Yamaha. Lol

I'm selling a lot of onkyo receivers because Yamaha is better.

Onkyo is still second though.

For your info on a link on whos the top seller. Google is your friend. Look it up. Not going to like what you find if you think d/m is top dog.

Reason why denon has $299 models now. They are trying to compete with onkyo/pio.

The majority of people own under $500 avr. The onkyo 6 series is a industry leader.

I think I've gotten my point of what I think is better. I wish a few others would share what they've experienced. I know 10 or more members that had denon 4311, 4520, 7200 that switched to onkyo or integra that are amazed by the upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 01:36 PM

I never made any claims of any brand being "top dog." I'll agree with you on one point and that is Yamaha is a quality product. I'll gracefully bow out of any further conversation with you. Good day.
post #35 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 01:52 PM

I didn't mean to come across rude at all. People just need to hear both sides. I'm sure a lot of people share your experiences.

We just can't hold things against companies for ever. Ford makes the best cars on the planet now. A lot of people are brainwashed that Honda and Toyota are better. That's because 80's and 90's were rough time for American cars. If you compare them all now Honda and Toyota are 10-15 years behind ford, gm and Chrysler/dodge.

Things just change. It's hard to keep up though. Maybe I'll try this year a marantz 7011 and I'll change my mind. I'd love for it to be better.
post #36 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked: 4454
Quote:
I've already stated I love my Yamahas. I've also said buy Yamaha. Lol

I'm selling a lot of onkyo receivers because Yamaha is better.

Onkyo is still second though.

For your info on a link on whos the top seller. Google is your friend. Look it up. Not going to like what you find if you think d/m is top dog.

Reason why denon has $299 models now. They are trying to compete with onkyo/pio.

The majority of people own under $500 avr. The onkyo 6 series is a industry leader.

I think I've gotten my point of what I think is better. I wish a few others would share what they've experienced. I know 10 or more members that had denon 4311, 4520, 7200 that switched to onkyo or integra that are amazed by the upgrade.
Well, here's one that switched from Onkyo to a Denon AVR-4520 and was amazed by the upgrade. Put that on your list.
muzz likes this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #37 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 02:06 PM

Will do.

What onkyo did you have?
post #38 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've always bought Yamaha receivers and have never had a problem in 30+ years. Why Yamaha? Luck of the draw. I always thought they were all the same - Onkyo, Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, etc. Figured it was like Buick, Chevy, Oldsmobile - same car, different decals.

But luckily I've always grabbed the Yamaha, and like I said - zero issues. Why is so difficult for one company to mass produce a receiver yet another company mass produces an extremely similar receiver and year after year it's a piece of junk? I don't get it.

* LG OLED65C7P
* Oppo UDP-205 * Sony UBP-X800 * Denon DVD2900 * Pioneer CLD-79
* Yamaha RX-A3060
* Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower/Horizon RAAL Center/Sierra-1 NrT surrounds
* Rythmik F15HP x 2
* Loads of high resolution source material from http://aixrecords.com/
post #39 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowthatsabigscreen View Post
I've always bought Yamaha receivers and have never had a problem in 30+ years. Why Yamaha? Luck of the draw. I always thought they were all the same - Onkyo, Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, etc. Figured it was like Buick, Chevy, Oldsmobile - same car, different decals.

But luckily I've always grabbed the Yamaha, and like I said - zero issues. Why is so difficult for one company to mass produce a receiver yet another company mass produces an extremely similar receiver and year after year it's a piece of junk? I don't get it.
Quality components, quality control, research and development, and a little pride in the product you sell.
wowthatsabigscreen likes this.
post #40 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrax View Post
Quality components, quality control, research and development, and a little pride in the product you sell.
Very true. They also have their own manufacturing facilities. Something the others cannot claim. They also make a lot of the musical instruments that are used by musicians the world over. They also make some great motorcycles. Onkyo could learn a lot from Yamaha. But then again so could some of the others. I realize that there is a member in this and some other threads that is using and extolling his current use of a Yamaha AVR. But I also think that he is selling as many of his "great" Onkyos' as fast as Onkyo themselves.
post #41 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked: 4454
Quote:
Will do.

What onkyo did you have?
TX-NR818. To be fair to the Onkyo, the Denon cost about $800 more, bought both on clearance. I don't remember the details, but the Onkyo was a bit clunky, so I bought the Denon... Then, the Onkyo's amp stopped working, and I left it in the corner for two years, giving it a very hard reset, and I checked it out about a month ago, and it's working again.
Over the years, I've had two Denons, two Onkyos, one Yamaha, at least one Sony, one Akai, and a Realistic(don't judge). The Denon is by far the best, but also by far the most expensive I've owned. I've backed the Denon up with a 3 channel Emotiva amp, and let the Denon handle all the surrounds and wides.
I apologize to the OP if all this off topic is annoying.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #42 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What AVR to pick? Recommendations?

I have the Pioneer SC-LX501 and it's been excellent for me. I tested this against the Marantz 6011 and Denon X3300W and to me he Pioneer just sounded better. The Marantz was clear but lacked a real punch during action scenes in movies, the Denon was punchier than the Marantz but the Pioneer sounded much better. Sound was warm not harsh, action scenes had a real punch to them and the highs were just as clear and clean as the Marantz/Denon. All of this was tested on Direct and Pure Direct Mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV: Panasonic Viera VT50 55 | A/V Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-71 | Speakers: Martin Logan Motion 40's (Bi-Amped) | Cables: AudioQuest Cinnamon HDMI Cables + AudioQuest Rocket 33's (split)
post #43 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL24 View Post
I have the Pioneer SC-LX501 and it's been excellent for me. I tested this against the Marantz 6011 and Denon X3300W and to me he Pioneer just sounded better. The Marantz was clear but lacked a real punch during action scenes in movies, the Denon was punchier than the Marantz but the Pioneer sounded much better. Sound was warm not harsh, action scenes had a real punch to them and the highs were just as clear and clean as the Marantz/Denon. All of this was tested on Direct and Pure Direct Mode.

What do you use for speakers? Any issues with the LX-501 that you have come across? I hear lots of people complain about Pioneer but I have owned a couple now and never had a single issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #44 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL616 View Post
What do you use for speakers? Any issues with the LX-501 that you have come across? I hear lots of people complain about Pioneer but I have owned a couple now and never had a single issue.

I run Martin Logan Motion 40's and the Motion 30 as my center channel.

I heard of the complaints but I haven't had any issues so far. I've had Pioneer for the past 5+ years and have never had any issues.

TV: Panasonic Viera VT50 55 | A/V Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-71 | Speakers: Martin Logan Motion 40's (Bi-Amped) | Cables: AudioQuest Cinnamon HDMI Cables + AudioQuest Rocket 33's (split)
post #45 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I run Martin Logan Motion 40's and the Motion 30 as my center channel.

I heard of the complaints but I haven't had any issues so far. I've had Pioneer for the past 5+ years and have never had any issues.

How do you like the room correction on the LX501? Anything it doesn't do that you wish it could?

post #46 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 06:39 PM

glad to see someone posting something good about pioneers. I've owned many also. Great company and products.

Might try another soon
post #47 of 59 Old 04-23-2017, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yamaha might be a quality product but they are underpowered there is NO question about it. I've had Pioneer , Sony , Marantz ALL blow your 100WPC Yamaha away ...the 80WPC Pioneer pushed 7 amps better than the 750 or 760 - the Marantz 5010 - you're talking Corvette v Camaro - The SONY 1070 the epitome of a HT AVR , thunderous during movies and just plain fun when using for gaming for TV not to mention easy to use.

I will credit Yamaha for their music - they play a great live music feed no question , it's a full sound. But the Marantz is still king of the music genre.

I had an Onkyo back in the day 2005 ash and it was AWESOME big loud CLEAN - but it crapped out.

The RZ line looks awesome and the 810 is like 699 now - 130 WPC and THX certified, ATMOS , DTS - X , IF Onkyo are truly over their QC issues than it might be worth a look.
post #48 of 59 Old 04-25-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
How do you like the room correction on the LX501? Anything it doesn't do that you wish it could?

It has the basic MCACC calibration, the LX701 and up are the only ones that come with the more advanced MCACC Pro. I initially wished it came with the MCACC Pro but now that I've had the LX501 for over 2 months I can honestly say I don't miss it.

Sometimes these auto calibrations work and most of the time they don't. The sound that comes out of it is muted and not impressive at all. The standard MCACC will adjust the distance and level of each speaker based on the siting position or mic placement but the sound the LX501 produces afterwards is nothing short of superb.

Why not hit up your local Magnolia Theater/Design Center and pick up the LX501 to test for a week or two? You can always return it and try the Denon and Marantz afterwards.

post #49 of 59 Old 04-25-2017, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It has the basic MCACC calibration, the LX701 and up are the only ones that come with the more advanced MCACC Pro. I initially wished it came with the MCACC Pro but now that I've had the LX501 for over 2 months I can honestly say I don't miss it.

Sometimes these auto calibrations work and most of the time they don't. The sound that comes out of it is muted and not impressive at all. The standard MCACC will adjust the distance and level of each speaker based on the siting position or mic placement but the sound the LX501 produces afterwards is nothing short of superb.

Why not hit up your local Magnolia Theater/Design Center and pick up the LX501 to test for a week or two? You can always return it and try the Denon and Marantz afterwards.

Are you also able to adjust the speaker size (large or small) and the crossover point for the speakers?

post #50 of 59 Old 04-25-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Are you also able to adjust the speaker size (large or small) and the crossover point for the speakers?

Oh yeah, you can still set your speaker size and crossover.

post #51 of 59 Old 04-25-2017, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3751 Post(s)
Liked: 2139
I own 3 yamaha avr's, 1 onkyo, and 1 marantz. they all still work and they all sound different. I would shop for warranty, features, price. all the brands probably have something useful. maybe get a newer avr with class d amps as they run cooler. its usually the display on an avr that creates a lot of heat. I like the marantz because can close the display during a movie...not big on bunch of fancy lights distracting me from tv or movies.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #52 of 59 Old 04-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Oh yeah, you can still set your speaker size and crossover.

Is it still a global crossover for all speakers?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
post #53 of 59 Old 04-25-2017, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
I like Yamaha and Denon, my Yammy HTR 5550 is still going strong from 2002/3, my Denon 988(2808) is still going strong from ~08, my X4300 is only a month or 2 old, and works mint.
Until ONKYO proves they've corrected a major problem, I cannot recommend them.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #54 of 59 Old 04-26-2017, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
I like Yamaha and Denon, my Yammy HTR 5550 is still going strong from 2002/3, my Denon 988(2808) is still going strong from ~08, my X4300 is only a month or 2 old, and works mint.
Until ONKYO proves they've corrected a major problem, I cannot recommend them.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
I honestly don't think onkyo has figured out their problems. I jumped on TX RZ810 on amazon failed within a week. HDMI board failed on me. Back it went the next day.
post #55 of 59 Old 04-26-2017, 06:09 PM

Really I've not heard of any onkyo hdmi issues on those models
post #56 of 59 Old 04-26-2017, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I had the lx101 step below the 501
80 wpc - it was outstanding. What threw was worrying it was an onkyo product and would breakdown.
Pioneer elite right there with marantz imo
Just not sure if Pioneer elonkyo is ..
post #57 of 59 Old 04-26-2017, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Really I've not heard of any onkyo hdmi issues on those models
I haven't either. But, doesn't mean it's not out there. I'm honestly not trying to knock on onkyo. It's just I had 4 in the past. And only 1, which I currently use for the office (TX 707) hasn't failed me. And I honestly don't think it will either. Cause it's well over 5 years old. And I haven't had one issue with it.

Last edited by joe801; 04-26-2017 at 07:17 PM.
post #58 of 59 Old 04-26-2017, 08:32 PM

707 is from 2009! Cool to see it's still running good.

Pioneer got better from onkyo. Onkyo got better from pioneer.

People don't realize that all their pioneer elites from 2015 share same hdmi board as my onkyo rz900. Pioneer also helped onkyo with a more efficient amp. Even know my rz900 is more powerful than pioneer 901. Still a step in right direction for these companies.

I had more hdmi issues with my denons
post #59 of 59 Old 06-04-2017, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
707 is from 2009! Cool to see it's still running good.

Pioneer got better from onkyo. Onkyo got better from pioneer.

People don't realize that all their pioneer elites from 2015 share same hdmi board as my onkyo rz900. Pioneer also helped onkyo with a more efficient amp. Even know my rz900 is more powerful than pioneer 901. Still a step in right direction for these companies.

I had more hdmi issues with my denons

I have a friend who had his Denon fail on him too. I think at the end of the day you either get a dud that fails or one that lasts. That's just the way electronics seem to work. Like I said at the start, I have owned two or three Pioneers now and everyone has made it till the upgrade bug started. Maybe I've just been lucky, but since they haven't failed me yet I'm leaning towards the Pioneer Elite LX501.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page