86Likes

post #361 of 375 Old 05-12-2019, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Strange behavior with speaker B - bug?

Hi all,

I own my T777 v3 since 6 weeks now. I have a strange behavior with the A/B speaker setting and would request somebody to check whether this is normal or not:

I use only Speaker A. My speaker B terminals are not connected. I also haven't configured any additional Zone etc.

If I add Speaker B to Speaker A (by pressing the speaker B button on the front), then the volume increases dramatically by (rough estimate) +15dB. I.e. if the front display showed -20dB with only Speaker A, then I have to set the volume to -35dB with Speakers A+B to achieve the same heard volume level.
This behavior appears to be independent from the sound format. I.e. it happens also when playing a Stereo source like a CD. So it cannot be related to the Stereo downmix that is being described in the user manual when adding speaker B.

Despite I don't need speaker B, I have (test-wise) plugged the front left speaker from speaker terminal A to speaker terminal B. Also with a speaker B connected, a speaker setting containing Speaker B (i.e. "B only" or "A+B") is significantly louder as the "Speaker A only" setting.

My expectation would be that the volume does not change when adding or using Speaker B.

Could anybody please check at his unit whether this is normal or not? Thank you.

If you should ask yourself why this might be a problem: My children like playing with my gear, and I live in a flat. If the volume increases dramatically just by pressing the speaker B button then my neighbours would probably not like it

Schmidt32
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 375 Old 07-02-2019, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
Actually they might be providing an upgrade depending on the serial number. My 775hD is eligible for the upgrade but the price is what is making me Leary. It will be around $1300. For a little bit more I can get a refurb T777. Plus my center and right surrounds had distortion problem caused by bad solder and clean up job on the amp board. My friend fixed it for me. It sounds great and I have it in my secondary system. My primary system has a denon x4300 now with my old nad T763 doing amp duties for all the main channels (LCR, SL, SR). The denon can map it’s Amps to the four atmos channels and the SBL and SBR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would get the refurbished T777 v3. If I recall correctly, you own one of the higher powered NAD's that have the jumpers in the back for the main amps to be used, independent of the pre-amp. That would give you some great flexibility with that setup. I am impressed with mine, as it is a step up from my T758 v1 to be sure. I am using my T752 from time to time, as an outboard amplifier, as one of it's advantages is to drive low impedance loads. The T752 actually gives specs on 2 ohm loads! That's something you don't see much of in today's market for AVR's. To me, being able to drive low impedance loads is an indication of a robust amplifier design. Usually that also indicates a high headroom capability, that is akin to dynamic range.

The T777 v3 is a very nice AVR, by any standard, in my opinion. Being able to purchase this AVR at a great price when factory refurbished is simply a sweet deal.
post #363 of 375 Old 07-21-2019, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Running into both 2 and 4K displays

Hi all,

Is anyone managing to use both hdmi outs successfully eg for a 4K tv and 2k pj in the same room?
I’m trying something similar... but into one display device bc I want to be able to route my 4K sources directly out the 777 into my JVC pj and my 2k sources out the nad to the same JVC projector via a darbee darblet.

I am obviously sending the 4K from the 4K hdmi out and 2k from the other. Both run via separate hdmi cables to my JVC projector. The 4K output goes straight from the nad 4K output in to the projector and works fine. The 2k output goes via a darbee Darblet and then into the projector (if I remove the darbee the outcome is identical so it has nothing to do with the darbee).
What happens is that whilst I can see the nad on screen menu via either hdmi, thats all that can be seen on the 2k output, I cannot make the 2k output work for my various video sources. If I remove the 4K hdmi out cable from the rear of the 777, then instantly the 2k output begins to function perfectly. I am of course only outputting 1080p 50 and 60 to the 2k output. I get flashing screens or a no input message on my projector when flipping over to the 2k output hdmi.
I need them to work with both cables attached so my 4K sources can run direct and my 2k sources can go via the darbee. I cannot send both signal down one hdmi as the darbee is not 4K compatable. Seems the situation is much like someone running a 2k projector and 4K tv in the same room?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 375 Old 07-21-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drilloav View Post
Hi all,

Is anyone managing to use both hdmi outs successfully eg for a 4K tv and 2k pj in the same room?
I’m trying something similar... but into one display device bc I want to be able to route my 4K sources directly out the 777 into my JVC pj and my 2k sources out the nad to the same JVC projector via a darbee darblet.

I am obviously sending the 4K from the 4K hdmi out and 2k from the other. Both run via separate hdmi cables to my JVC projector. The 4K output goes straight from the nad 4K output in to the projector and works fine. The 2k output goes via a darbee Darblet and then into the projector (if I remove the darbee the outcome is identical so it has nothing to do with the darbee).
What happens is that whilst I can see the nad on screen menu via either hdmi, thats all that can be seen on the 2k output, I cannot make the 2k output work for my various video sources. If I remove the 4K hdmi out cable from the rear of the 777, then instantly the 2k output begins to function perfectly. I am of course only outputting 1080p 50 and 60 to the 2k output. I get flashing screens or a no input message on my projector when flipping over to the 2k output hdmi.
I need them to work with both cables attached so my 4K sources can run direct and my 2k sources can go via the darbee. I cannot send both signal down one hdmi as the darbee is not 4K compatable. Seems the situation is much like someone running a 2k projector and 4K tv in the same room?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks
Hmmmm,
Have now tested this by running 4K into my pj and 2k (and less) into a tv. The 2k output works perfectly fine whilst the 4K cable is disconnected from the back of the nad. As soon as the 4K hdmi is plugged back in, even with the pj to which it is attached turned off at the wall, the 2k signal has a fit (blinking screen, green screen)
Is my unit duff - isn’t it supposed to support this activity?
post #365 of 375 Old 07-22-2019, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Hmmmm,
Have now tested this by running 4K into my pj and 2k (and less) into a tv. The 2k output works perfectly fine whilst the 4K cable is disconnected from the back of the nad. As soon as the 4K hdmi is plugged back in, even with the pj to which it is attached turned off at the wall, the 2k signal has a fit (blinking screen, green screen)
Is my unit duff - isn’t it supposed to support this activity?
I would try a better hdmi cable running to your projector. I run a fiber optic hdmi cable and have zero problems with it. Yes it is pricey but felt it would be worth it with all the higher res. content.

post #366 of 375 Old 07-22-2019, 04:38 AM

Hi,
I went through loads of supposedly certified cables to get my PJ working on 4K - ultimately got there with an optical cable and ever since then it’s been perfect. I’m using 4K certified non optical cables for the 3 foot run to my 1080p tv from the nad. The pj works on 4K just fine no matter what else is plugged into the receiver outputs but the tv won’t work while the pj cable is plugged in. If I remove the pj optical cable from hdmi 1 leaving only the tv cable coming out of hdmi 2, the tv works perfectly.
You seem to be doing exactly what I’m doing with much the same setup ie optical to 4K pj and copper hdmi to tv - yet yours works and mine doesn’t? If my 4K signal fell over I might think it was hdmi cables but it’s my 2k signal that won’t work. Nad applies a do no harm pass through so I’m thinking it can’t be a setting somewhere?
post #367 of 375 Old 07-22-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi,
I went through loads of supposedly certified cables to get my PJ working on 4K - ultimately got there with an optical cable and ever since then it’s been perfect. I’m using 4K certified non optical cables for the 3 foot run to my 1080p tv from the nad. The pj works on 4K just fine no matter what else is plugged into the receiver outputs but the tv won’t work while the pj cable is plugged in. If I remove the pj optical cable from hdmi 1 leaving only the tv cable coming out of hdmi 2, the tv works perfectly.
You seem to be doing exactly what I’m doing with much the same setup ie optical to 4K pj and copper hdmi to tv - yet yours works and mine doesn’t? If my 4K signal fell over I might think it was hdmi cables but it’s my 2k signal that won’t work. Nad applies a do no harm pass through so I’m thinking it can’t be a setting somewhere?
Seems to me that the TV is not auto switching the resolution.

My sources are a Minix UH9 then my PC and last a Cable box. All these are set for 1080 for display. If I decide on watching a 4K movie the Minix will auto select new res and it sends that to the projector but at the same time my TV play that same movie but in 1080, but the signal still shows as 4k. So somewhere in your chain something is not switching.

post #368 of 375 Old 07-22-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
Seems to me that the TV is not auto switching the resolution.

My sources are a Minix UH9 then my PC and last a Cable box. All these are set for 1080 for display. If I decide on watching a 4K movie the Minix will auto select new res and it sends that to the projector but at the same time my TV play that same movie but in 1080, but the signal still shows as 4k. So somewhere in your chain something is not switching.
I did think it might be something like that bc the only thing that ‘works’ is the nad osd which I’m guessing is 1080p or less. However I set my sources to 1080 and even 720 with no improvement. My sources are panasonic ub9000 bluray and amazon fire 4K. Also I’m not sure why the output to the tele works just fine but as soon as the 4K cable is inserted all that stops - would the simple insertion of a cable into hdmi 1 force the output on hdmi 2 to 4K even when the attached pj is switched off? Finally the nad shows the input as 1080p or less on its screen from my sources. I’m stumped.

Last edited by drilloav; 07-22-2019 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Add note
post #369 of 375 Old 07-22-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did think it might be something like that bc the only thing that ‘works’ is the nad osd which I’m guessing is 1080p or less. However I set my sources to 1080 and even 720 with no improvement. My sources are panasonic ub9000 bluray and amazon fire 4K. Also I’m not sure why the output to the tele works just fine but as soon as the 4K cable is inserted all that stops - would the simple insertion of a cable into hdmi 1 force the output on hdmi 2 to 4K even when the attached pj is switched off? Finally the nad shows the input as 1080p or less on its screen from my sources. I’m stumped.

Two things I might try is reset the NAD to factory defaults... NAD FACTORY RESET PDF file

Second would be to contact NAD

post #370 of 375 Old 07-22-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Two things I might try is reset the NAD to factory defaults... NAD FACTORY RESET PDF file

Reset eeeeesh soo much setup
I’ll try NAD 1st
Thx
post #371 of 375 Old 07-23-2019, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would the NAD module upgrades enable support future technologies like HDMI 2.1? Or are the HDMI boards different components?
post #372 of 375 Old 07-23-2019, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simples View Post
I’ve been having the ground loop noise from my T777 v3 and I’ve narrowed it down to when I have my Blu Ray player (Oppo 205) connected by both analogue and hdmi connections at the same time! Does anyone here have their Blu Ray player connected by both analogue 7.1 and hdmi and not have a buzzing ground loop issue?
I am having the same exact issue with my T777. When I have my SACD/Blu-ray player connected via the 5.1 analog outputs and HDMI, there is a buzzing/humming noise. But if I disconnect the HDMI and leave the analog connections, the buzzing noise stops. Or if I disconnect the analog connections and leave the HDMI, the buzzing noise stops. But when I tried this with my T758 and T757 receivers, the issue does not occur. Seems to be an isolated issue with the T777? Anyone else experience a buzzing noise/ground loop issue when connecting the multichannel analog inputs and HDMI from a source?
post #373 of 375 Old 07-24-2019, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Sanvictores View Post
I am having the same exact issue with my T777. When I have my SACD/Blu-ray player connected via the 5.1 analog outputs and HDMI, there is a buzzing/humming noise. But if I disconnect the HDMI and leave the analog connections, the buzzing noise stops. Or if I disconnect the analog connections and leave the HDMI, the buzzing noise stops. But when I tried this with my T758 and T757 receivers, the issue does not occur. Seems to be an isolated issue with the T777? Anyone else experience a buzzing noise/ground loop issue when connecting the multichannel analog inputs and HDMI from a source?
The only source I have connected that way is my LX500 which has HDMI for 4k Blu and RCA connections for CDs. I didn't think this made any difference to some very slight humming I have which can only be heard in very quiet passages of an audio track. There has been some debate in the UK re DC Blockers and the positive effect they have on toroidal transformers (which the T777 has). I'm going to try and arrange for a DC Blocker to see if it makes any difference - George

LG C9 | NAD T777v3 | NAD M25 | Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 II | Monitor Audio Platinum PLC150 II | 6 Monitor Gold GXFX | JL Audio F212v2 | Virgin v6 | Pioneer LX 500 4k Blu-Ray | Apple TV 4k | Linn Sondek LP12
post #374 of 375 Old 07-25-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Reset eeeeesh soo much setup
I’️ll try NAD 1st
Thx
Thought I’d follow up for anyone who experiences the same issues I did.

I did get in touch with Nad and got a response that I think missed the point - so that correspondance continues.

In the meantime I managed to get it working to a degree using a monitor and my jvc projector - I couldn’t get 4K on one and 2k on the other but I got dual outputs simultaneously at 2k - a start but of course I don’t want 2 display devices - I want one with 2 routes in.

I got onto the hdfury forums and they seem to think a vertex, integral 2, Diva would resolve the issue - I was about to pull the trigger.

Since fury products aren’t inexpensive, I thought I would first take a chance before buying one using an hdmi switch instead - found one eventually that handles 4K, 60, 4:4:4. Now my jvc has only one hdmi cable running to it and the nad has both hdmi outs in use routed through the switch so only one output is ever sent to the jvc at any one time.

Hey presto - I get 4K when I need it and 2k plus darbee when I want it - perfect!!! The only thing I still need to check is 3D but all works brilliantly with a remote controlled switch for £40 (I’m in the UK).
post #375 of 375 Old 07-26-2019, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Glad you got it all worked out.
After thinking about this for a bit, my thought was that the darbee has it's own hard coded switch built into it creating a confusion for either your TV or JVC. So one would work but not both at same time.
Good luck with the 3d test.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page