post #241 of 426 Old 12-04-2018, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootster View Post
I'm going to let this go, but people who purchase the T 777 v3 are not buying it solely because of some added software. The T758 v3 thread has a lot of people who believe that to be true, but it's a personal opinion to claim that the T758 wouldn't sell if it weren't for Dirac software. I'm living proof of that. I bought my T758 long before Dirac was a buzzword. There has been heated debate on your premise, but nothing is carved in stone. Spending $2,500 on an AVR because of associated room correction software as the sole reason is highly suspect. People are going to believe what they want, but I believe I'll skip the Dirac and go right to resuming the beautiful music I am listening to because of these NAD components. I'll admit, there are some good salesmen on here. Selling you a software package seems to be easier than I thought. Your opinion counts however.

Have fun with your software, if that's what floats your boat. Just don't go looking for anyone who will buy a NAD component that isn't familiar with "The NAD sound". That's why people purchase NAD components, Dirac, not so much. Like I said, that's an opinion, not a fact.
Ok. Iwill. I think the Dirac discussion that you are complaining about is more than enough evidence that people are buying the NADs because of a software package. I don't have to look for someone who will buy a NAD component that isn't familiar with "The NAD sound". I did so myself. I suspect the majority of people did at least in the 758 thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 426 Old 12-04-2018, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaucom View Post
Ok. Iwill. I think the Dirac discussion that you are complaining about is more than enough evidence that people are buying the NADs because of a software package. I don't have to look for someone who will buy a NAD component that isn't familiar with "The NAD sound". I did so myself. I suspect the majority of people did at least in the 758 thread.
Dirac is buggy software. I am not complaining about it, I'm offering a suggestion that you seem to agree with. Get the Dirac discussion moved away from the technical questions about the units themselves. I feel as though the negative comments on Dirac are unfairly damaging NAD's reputation. Complaining about it is why we have to muddle through the constant posting about Dirac so prevalent on that forum. When you are offered the Holy Grail, and it's buggy, you are going to get people asking a lot of questions. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I see the Dirac users are well taken care of, as there are usually satisfying corrections given by salesmen there.

You just contradicted yourself by claiming that you bought the T 758 for "The NAD Sound". It can be both, however. Like I said, there are a lot of people complaining about Dirac is because they are dissatisfied with any expectation that is the be all and end all of superior sound. If I fell prey to a salesman's promises, and didn't think I was getting what I paid for, (the lite version is free), I'd be running to the nearest forum and asking for results. I gave it a shot, twice, and either time it failed to impress me. My room isn't hard to manage, as far as sound EQ ids concerned. I have a feeling that people with cathedral ceilings and wood floors are looking for something like room correction software to help with the sound as well. Room correction software is a lot more useful to those with difficult rooms than those with a simple closed in rectangular box. I know I've always been less than impressed with someones sound system if they live in a more "open" house. The reflections and the resonant frequencies are highly pronounced in those scenarios, to the point that room correction software becomes a very useful tool. I live in a rancher without any cathedral ceilings or open skylight boxes that can severely color the sound waves. I may give it another try someday, but for now, I have no use for it. If my room were complex, perhaps I'd feel differently about it. Kudos to those who can use something like that to their advantage. Dirac is not a one size fits all solution, and the number of people who chime in on this forum are clearly not indicative of why people buy NAD components. A handful of posters on a forum like this is insignificant to the overall general populace.

NAD components don't need any accompanied software to be popular. That is a fact.
post #243 of 426 Old 12-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Dirac is buggy software. I am not complaining about it, I'm offering a suggestion that you seem to agree with. Get the Dirac discussion moved away from the technical questions about the units themselves. I feel as though the negative comments on Dirac are unfairly damaging NAD's reputation. Complaining about it is why we have to muddle through the constant posting about Dirac so prevalent on that forum. When you are offered the Holy Grail, and it's buggy, you are going to get people asking a lot of questions. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I see the Dirac users are well taken care of, as there are usually satisfying corrections given by salesmen there.

You just contradicted yourself by claiming that you bought the T 758 for "The NAD Sound". It can be both, however. Like I said, there are a lot of people complaining about Dirac is because they are dissatisfied with any expectation that is the be all and end all of superior sound. If I fell prey to a salesman's promises, and didn't think I was getting what I paid for, (the lite version is free), I'd be running to the nearest forum and asking for results. I gave it a shot, twice, and either time it failed to impress me. My room isn't hard to manage, as far as sound EQ ids concerned. I have a feeling that people with cathedral ceilings and wood floors are looking for something like room correction software to help with the sound as well. Room correction software is a lot more useful to those with difficult rooms than those with a simple closed in rectangular box. I know I've always been less than impressed with someones sound system if they live in a more "open" house. The reflections and the resonant frequencies are highly pronounced in those scenarios, to the point that room correction software becomes a very useful tool. I live in a rancher without any cathedral ceilings or open skylight boxes that can severely color the sound waves. I may give it another try someday, but for now, I have no use for it. If my room were complex, perhaps I'd feel differently about it. Kudos to those who can use something like that to their advantage. Dirac is not a one size fits all solution, and the number of people who chime in on this forum are clearly not indicative of why people buy NAD components. A handful of posters on a forum like this is insignificant to the overall general populace.

NAD components don't need any accompanied software to be popular. That is a fact.
I guess my english must not be clear. This is the second time you have claimed I said something I didn't. I said i had no idea what 'the NAD sound" was when I bought the avr. From my reading, most of the posts about Dirac are how good it is. They are not complaints. Dirac just released a new version of the software on black friday. There have been some issues. There have been post about this the last couple of weeks. That does not mean it is the main problem people are having with the NAD avrs. The V3 version of the 758 was released over a year ago. It has had a lot of hardware problems. NAD is using a revised version of the AM230 card now.

This is my last post on the subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 426 Old 12-04-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaucom View Post
I guess my english must not be clear. This is the second time you have claimed I said something I didn't. I said i had no idea what 'the NAD sound" was when I bought the avr. From my reading, most of the posts about Dirac are how good it is. They are not complaints. Dirac just released a new version of the software on black friday. There have been some issues. There have been post about this the last couple of weeks. That does not mean it is the main problem people are having with the NAD avrs. The V3 version of the 758 was released over a year ago. It has had a lot of hardware problems. NAD is using a revised version of the AM230 card now.

This is my last post on the subject.
There are many things in life that we can relate to. The squeaky wheel getting the grease is one of them. That's the nature of the Dirac posts on here. People tend to post about disappointments over any kind of praise, and the proof is in the forum posts about troubles with Dirac. Not many praises, it's more like questions about the software, not accolades. The reason that people come to forums is to get help with problems, not pat each other on the back for the brilliant decisions they make after purchasing products. That's what's happening here, and it's good to know that guys like flax can help them out. The man knows his way around Dirac software.

Enjoy your software.
post #245 of 426 Old 12-04-2018, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flax View Post
Hi,

we try to answer all tickets and it's unusual that one about such issue is left unanswered,
we might have skipped yours though so please let me know that ticket number and I'll check.

As far as missing .dll files are concerned I imagine that you refer to VCRUNTIME140.dll and MSVCP140.dll
If so please check here at Microsoft to download the latest vc_redist.exe and see if this solves your problem https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...al-c-downloads

Finally there is no need to open any dispute, we want satisfied customers and we'll issue you a refund if you prefer.

Flavio
Hi,
i 'm trying to get dirac 2.0 to work i have dirac live 1.0 full version which works fine i downloaded the new version it detects my nad t777 when i proceed I get a message The device uuid, device model or other named resource can not be found in our license database.
i did a password reset it see all my info, can't get it to work where do i find license keys.
can someone help.
post #246 of 426 Old 12-05-2018, 02:26 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by louc6569 View Post
Hi,
i 'm trying to get dirac 2.0 to work i have dirac live 1.0 full version which works fine i downloaded the new version it detects my nad t777 when i proceed I get a message The device uuid, device model or other named resource can not be found in our license database.
i did a password reset it see all my info, can't get it to work where do i find license keys.
can someone help.

We need your serial number to be added to the database, at the moment we have not received all of them from NAD so please contact us here:
http://helpdesk.dirac.se/index.php?pg=request
and we will manually add it.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,
Flavio

Warning: My posts might be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
post #247 of 426 Old 12-07-2018, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwando View Post
I literally unplugged every piece of electronics on that floor, turned off the lights, moved it to the middle of the room from the AV closet, etc. Really don't know what else to do. I'll try moving it to a different room as well but man, if it is EM radiation it must be from something much bigger.

Any ideas on building a faraday cage?
The audio you posted sounds somewhat similar to interference I have previously heard on a Polycom conference call speaker when a cell phone is too near it; its a lot weaker interference than the Polycom suffered though. You don't happen to have your cell phone always close when you're listening to the NAD do you? If not a cell phone then I would look for other wireless interference sources and also try operating it in some other location away from/outside your home to see if the problem travels with it. Hope this helps.

Re Faraday cages, if you live in a stucco house then the "chicken wire" used for the stucco can be quite effective at attenuating cell phone signals. It does it so effectively in mine that I have to boost the external signal with an antenna to an amplifier inside the house. Building a stucco house for your NAD may be a (stucco) bridge to far though
post #248 of 426 Old 12-10-2018, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnation View Post
The audio you posted sounds somewhat similar to interference I have previously heard on a Polycom conference call speaker when a cell phone is too near it; its a lot weaker interference than the Polycom suffered though. You don't happen to have your cell phone always close when you're listening to the NAD do you? If not a cell phone then I would look for other wireless interference sources and also try operating it in some other location away from/outside your home to see if the problem travels with it. Hope this helps.

Re Faraday cages, if you live in a stucco house then the "chicken wire" used for the stucco can be quite effective at attenuating cell phone signals. It does it so effectively in mine that I have to boost the external signal with an antenna to an amplifier inside the house. Building a stucco house for your NAD may be a (stucco) bridge to far though

I mean, we have two cellphones, Wifi, and Zwave home automation in the house. But its no different than my previous setup with a Denon where I had all those signals and no buzz.

I'm now also hitting some HDMI issues - a couple of times switching inputs has caused a static screen.
post #249 of 426 Old 12-10-2018, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I mean, we have two cellphones, Wifi, and Zwave home automation in the house. But its no different than my previous setup with a Denon where I had all those signals and no buzz.

I'm now also hitting some HDMI issues - a couple of times switching inputs has caused a static screen.
I probably didn't explain clearly. I meant if your cell phone was in very close proximity to the unit or cabling attached to the unit, not just in the house or in the room. For example some people always place their cell right next to where they are working/present, hence the interference I described where people placed their phones on the conference table too close to the Polycom, i.e. within 2-3 feet IIRC. In any event just a suggestion, if its not the case then sorry I don't have anything else to offer.
post #250 of 426 Old 12-11-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post
I’m a non owner follower of this thread as I’m considering the 777 v3 but seems to me there are issues being experienced more so than glowing recommendations and innovative suggestions from satisfied users. I know the post count is low at 200+ but I wanted to gain confidence considering this unit for purchase and seems that may not be way to go for me based on my perceptions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's just say that the most trouble being brought up with the T 777 v3 is not with hardware, but with software, namely Dirac. It is constantly interrupting an otherwise good discussion on the merits of the T 777 v3. I get tired of hearing about these NAD components being faulty, or having issues, because there is a problem with the ability to download the latest version of Dirac. I'm certainly not saying that this AVR is totally without some faults worthy of discussion, but we have digressed into a conversation as to why the component may not get along with a product that has nothing to do with the hardware that's implemented in the T 777 v3. The NAD T 777 v3 is a stellar example of an audiophile grade AVR, but we are now getting into the realm of buggy software entering into the unit's performance, now crippling it's "Reputation" as a component that has established itself through it's brand as a great sounding component, worthy of standing out on it's own as a formidable audiophile grade component. I noticed one poster who is actually believing that you are "Lucky" if you get a NAD AVR that doesn't have problems. Of course that makes no sense, and is just a manner of venting for that particular member of the forums here. This is what happens when you have someone who's disappointed with their purchase who wants to let everyone know about it, and clearly in an unfair way. To be fair, there was an issue with a certain audio card that I believe has been taken care of and is no longer existent. In my view, you can't get a much better example of a well rounded AVR than the T 777 v3. My unit is a factory refurbished one, but I have had no reason to fault anything because of that. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Again, I don't use Dirac, so I can't comment on those problems/issues. One thing I've noticed is the tendency to want to act as though people NEED some sort of room correction software when I have been listening to audiophile grade components for decades, and it's just not the case.

The NAD company has been around for a long time before Dirac ever hit the scene. People buy NAD components based on it's well earned reputation as having a unique and satisfying sound quality that can hold it's own with any of the "Premium" audiophile grade components out there today. I have seen a desire from some of the members of this forum to chime in about how badly they want to see Dirac software work for them, and this component has that option available if you choose to use it. That doesn't give anyone an excuse to make derogatory comments about the component itself, being devoid of the software, just because they are dissatisfied with their expectations that they were going to get with this acclaimed software package. Now there are even posters who are convinced that there are more bad NAD components being sold than perfectly good ones. How about the offer that no one has even thought about buying NAD, unless they are interested in a certain software package? Acting as though NAD as a brand name isn't worth considering unless you are able to use some new room correction software that comes with it is just myopic in nature. The internet is a great place to get great information and help, but it can also be a place for people to vent about their personal problems, and try to telegraph that experience to try to get others to agree with them, even though the personal experience in now way is representative of the product, or brand as a whole. To base an opinion of an entire brand based on a dozen peoples disgruntled experiences, and try to use that experience as a blanket statement against the virtues of the brand/component is somewhat disingenuous. It is more likely that someone would post something negative about a product in a review, or forum, than decide one day to just go onto a forum to tell the world how great your component is. That usually leads to a certain tone that isn't favorable to the product being discussed most of the time. Of course, most people realize that. It is the nature of the beast, as it were.

I have just experienced a phenomenon that I would like to see if any other satisfied purchasers of the T 777 v3 can relate to. I have had my T 777 v3 for about 5 months now, and don't use Dirac at the moment. There has been a noticeable difference, I would go so far as to say dramatic, in the "Responsiveness", or the ability to hear some subtleties in the T 777 v3's sound reproduction that I just noticed over the past week or so. I have my system settled in to where I like the way it is projecting the surround capabilities in movies that I am viewing on DirecTV. The ability of this AVR to transfer these subtle sounds to different speakers has increased in the last couple movies I have watched, and has increased to the point where I am noticing a much better responsiveness, or "Open-ness" to the sound quality. Is this the rumored "Burn in" that some people describe? My speakers haven't been changed, and I haven't changed any of the inputs to the device, so it must be the T 777 v3 getting "Broken in" finally. I ask this because I have never noticed this kind of drastic movement towards a more open sound signature with an audio component before. I don't know if DirecTV have upgraded their transmission qualities or not, but I doubt that's the case. The AVR seems to just sound better now, for some reason. Unfortunately, I haven't been paying much attention to the reproduction of music or other program material to use as a comparison to this observation.
post #251 of 426 Old 12-11-2018, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Let's just say that the most trouble being brought up with the T 777 v3 is not with hardware, but with software, namely Dirac. It is constantly interrupting an otherwise good discussion on the merits of the T 777 v3. I get tired of hearing about these NAD components being faulty, or having issues, because there is a problem with the ability to download the latest version of Dirac. I'm certainly not saying that this AVR is totally without some faults worthy of discussion, but we have digressed into a conversation as to why the component may not get along with a product that has nothing to do with the hardware that's implemented in the T 777 v3. The NAD T 777 v3 is a stellar example of an audiophile grade AVR, but we are now getting into the realm of buggy software entering into the unit's performance, now crippling it's "Reputation" as a component that has established itself through it's brand as a great sounding component, worthy of standing out on it's own as a formidable audiophile grade component. I noticed one poster who is actually believing that you are "Lucky" if you get a NAD AVR that doesn't have problems. Of course that makes no sense, and is just a manner of venting for that particular member of the forums here. This is what happens when you have someone who's disappointed with their purchase who wants to let everyone know about it, and clearly in an unfair way. To be fair, there was an issue with a certain audio card that I believe has been taken care of and is no longer existent. In my view, you can't get a much better example of a well rounded AVR than the T 777 v3. My unit is a factory refurbished one, but I have had no reason to fault anything because of that. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Again, I don't use Dirac, so I can't comment on those problems/issues. One thing I've noticed is the tendency to want to act as though people NEED some sort of room correction software when I have been listening to audiophile grade components for decades, and it's just not the case.

The NAD company has been around for a long time before Dirac ever hit the scene. People buy NAD components based on it's well earned reputation as having a unique and satisfying sound quality that can hold it's own with any of the "Premium" audiophile grade components out there today. I have seen a desire from some of the members of this forum to chime in about how badly they want to see Dirac software work for them, and this component has that option available if you choose to use it. That doesn't give anyone an excuse to make derogatory comments about the component itself, being devoid of the software, just because they are dissatisfied with their expectations that they were going to get with this acclaimed software package. Now there are even posters who are convinced that there are more bad NAD components being sold than perfectly good ones. How about the offer that no one has even thought about buying NAD, unless they are interested in a certain software package? Acting as though NAD as a brand name isn't worth considering unless you are able to use some new room correction software that comes with it is just myopic in nature. The internet is a great place to get great information and help, but it can also be a place for people to vent about their personal problems, and try to telegraph that experience to try to get others to agree with them, even though the personal experience in now way is representative of the product, or brand as a whole. To base an opinion of an entire brand based on a dozen peoples disgruntled experiences, and try to use that experience as a blanket statement against the virtues of the brand/component is somewhat disingenuous. It is more likely that someone would post something negative about a product in a review, or forum, than decide one day to just go onto a forum to tell the world how great your component is. That usually leads to a certain tone that isn't favorable to the product being discussed most of the time. Of course, most people realize that. It is the nature of the beast, as it were.

I have just experienced a phenomenon that I would like to see if any other satisfied purchasers of the T 777 v3 can relate to. I have had my T 777 v3 for about 5 months now, and don't use Dirac at the moment. There has been a noticeable difference, I would go so far as to say dramatic, in the "Responsiveness", or the ability to hear some subtleties in the T 777 v3's sound reproduction that I just noticed over the past week or so. I have my system settled in to where I like the way it is projecting the surround capabilities in movies that I am viewing on DirecTV. The ability of this AVR to transfer these subtle sounds to different speakers has increased in the last couple movies I have watched, and has increased to the point where I am noticing a much better responsiveness, or "Open-ness" to the sound quality. Is this the rumored "Burn in" that some people describe? My speakers haven't been changed, and I haven't changed any of the inputs to the device, so it must be the T 777 v3 getting "Broken in" finally. I ask this because I have never noticed this kind of drastic movement towards a more open sound signature with an audio component before. I don't know if DirecTV have upgraded their transmission qualities or not, but I doubt that's the case. The AVR seems to just sound better now, for some reason. Unfortunately, I haven't been paying much attention to the reproduction of music or other program material to use as a comparison to this observation.
The fact that restored devices work better than new ones does speak not in favor of the Nad brand.

Last edited by DrFreemen; 12-11-2018 at 12:55 PM.
post #252 of 426 Old 12-11-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFreemen View Post
The fact that restored devices work better than new ones does speak not in favor of the Nad brand.
Of course, what you just said is not a fact, and it only proves that some posters are here to spread falsehoods and act like they know what's going on when clearly they don't. There are many hundreds of T 777 v3's out there working just fine. The insinuation that a handful of whiners on a forum will prove that they are unreliable as a whole only proves that that premise falls flat on it's face in the real world. I'm sure that the statistics will back up any and all arguments that prove that an assumption of that nature is preposterous and without merit. I did get a belly laugh out of the comment however.
post #253 of 426 Old 12-11-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Of course, what you just said is not a fact, and it only proves that some posters are here to spread falsehoods and act like they know what's going on when clearly they don't. There are many hundreds of T 777 v3's out there working just fine. The insinuation that a handful of whiners on a forum will prove that they are unreliable as a whole only proves that that premise falls flat on it's face in the real world. I'm sure that the statistics will back up any and all arguments that prove that an assumption of that nature is preposterous and without merit. I did get a belly laugh out of the comment however.
I do not agree to maintain the reputation of the brand if the purchase of its devices turns into a lottery.
post #254 of 426 Old 12-11-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I would look at your laughter when your device has been under repair for several months.
post #255 of 426 Old 12-11-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFreemen View Post
I would look at your laughter when your device has been under repair for several months.
I would look at that as well if that were indeed the case, but you must have mistaken me for someone else. I don't see why people would want to come on a well respected forum and insinuate falsehoods. That's just me I guess. I have had nothing but good things to say about my experiences with NAD components over the decades that I have supported the brand. Perhaps you got a lemon and are not happy with NAD. That happens, but it is irresponsible to trash a products brand just because you feel slighted over some bad luck in your experience with said company.

I'm moving on, as comments that are unhelpful to this forum only makes the forum look bad, and that's not what we are here to do. I just read the entire comment section of the NAD T 777 v3, and overall, a handful of posters were chiming in to inquire about a bad experience with this component out of the thousands that have been sold without a hitch. Most comments were addressing the Dirac software issues rather than the hardware of the T 777 v3, and if you took them out, you would see that there are very, very few posters who had issues with their purchase. It's actually a record that NAD can be proud of.

If you had bad luck with your purchase, I'm sure the NAD will work with you to address the issues that arise.
post #256 of 426 Old 12-11-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:

I had a video card that made my computer speakers whine, and I had to return it, and the issue went away. Who would have thunk that the speakers would be affected by the presence of a bad video card? I assume it wasn't shielded correctly from the get go. I hate to say it, but perhaps you need to bite the bullet and try a different unit. There are a few lemons out there, just like any other electronics company. You may have been one of the handful of purchasers who received the dreaded bad apple. Is there some reason that you are hesitant to exchange the unit? You have been going over a lot of "Fixes" to try and salvage this particular unit.

I've had this happen with some expensive camera lenses (almost as expensive as the T 777 v3 in both cases) and didn't hesitate to return them for an exchange. I had a great lenses in return, so I'm happy in the end. I still support the brand since I understand that stuff happens all the time, and it happened to me more than once. I guess I have thick skin. One thing I've found out is that I would rather pay a little bit more to support a retailer that stands behind their product than to go with an unknown distributor just to pinch some pennies. The retail markup on electronic equipment is very high, as a rule. Reputable distributors can afford to take care of the customers warranty issues, and that reputation is what keeps them in business. There is a piece of mind that is priceless when you don't have to worry about being treated justly by a reputable retailer/electronics brand. If you are at the point where the issue now is reliant on NAD to repair/replace it, I'm sure you will be taken care of. That's another reason to support companies like NAD, who have a good reputation for making things right in case you were so unfortunate to get a lemon. Good luck in your quest to fix this issue.
post #257 of 426 Old 12-11-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3544 Post(s)
Liked: 4292
MUDCAT45, HTNUT1975 and RagtopFE like this.
post #258 of 426 Old 12-11-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Is there some reason that you are hesitant to exchange the unit? You have been going over a lot of "Fixes" to try and salvage this particular unit.

I'm actually on my 2nd unit, and have an Anthem MRX 720 on the way to compare and see if I still have the same issues.
post #259 of 426 Old 12-11-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I'm actually on my 2nd unit, and have an Anthem MRX 720 on the way to compare and see if I still have the same issues.
Have you tried to get a friend/neighbor to borrow someone's AVR to see if it's the room/situation you are in? You may find that it is your particular room, and you would be best served to borrow another unit instead of going through the replacement process. Again, this is just a suggestion. I'm interested to know if your particular room has such abnormalities that it affects your sound system. That would be an interesting predicament. Please keep the forum up to date on this after you figure it out. Good luck.
post #260 of 426 Old 12-11-2018, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
I'll bet he would have praised Onkyo when all their units failed. If he owned one.
post #261 of 426 Old 12-11-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Have you tried to get a friend/neighbor to borrow someone's AVR to see if it's the room/situation you are in? You may find that it is your particular room, and you would be best served to borrow another unit instead of going through the replacement process. Again, this is just a suggestion. I'm interested to know if your particular room has such abnormalities that it affects your sound system. That would be an interesting predicament. Please keep the forum up to date on this after you figure it out. Good luck.

Funny enough, with 2 day shipping, getting a replacement from Crutchfield was easier than making time too find and coordinate with someone I know with a receiver. Sad but true.

I'll definitely update the group. when the NAD is playing movies at normal/loud volumes its all great! I'm really bummed I'm having these issues and curious to see what happens next.
post #262 of 426 Old 12-11-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Funny enough, with 2 day shipping, getting a replacement from Crutchfield was easier than making time too find and coordinate with someone I know with a receiver. Sad but true.

I'll definitely update the group. when the NAD is playing movies at normal/loud volumes its all great! I'm really bummed I'm having these issues and curious to see what happens next.
You seem to have it under control here with just the few who offered constructive criticism and suggestions, and who are genuinely here to help in situations like yours. No one should be shy about offering assistance if they think it's pertinent to your specific problem. Crutchfield is one of the best companies to deal with as far as backing up their sales after the fact. I'm going to go out on a limb here and give Crutchfield the kudos it deserves. I wouldn't want to give them too much praise, or it would seem like I was beating a dead horse or something. It's almost as if you can't be loyal to a certain company without being criticized for "too much" help. Constructive criticism is somewhat rare, but most certainly appreciated by the poster who wants help.

Aside from an excellent after sales phone assistance policy, you get bonus points at Crutchfield to go along with the purchase to help with future purchases. It adds up too, unlike some retailers who only give you a pittance when you purchase through them. That's a good reason to go with them, other than their amazing free shipping policy. Again, I hope I don't appear to be giving them too much praise or anything. I had just found out that I couldn't use the amplifiers in the T 758 as you would a typical outboard amplifier, like I can on my T 752, so my plans were altered, and I had decided to purchase the refurbished T 777 v3 (saving $700!!!). I ordered my T 777 v3 at 3:15 PM in the afternoon, and was finished setting it up shortly before noon the next day (!!!). I had called the NAD technician back to set the unit up, and was up and running without a hitch. The NAD technician guided me through the setup and initial updates, and made sure that I had taken the correct initial steps to get the software/firmware updates off of the internet. All in all, I was impressed by the overall experience, and thought I'd share it with you. What can I say, I like to give credit where credit is due.

Let's hope that you can straighten out your dilemma without having to go to extremes. I noticed your comment on the T 777 v3 sounding "Great". Careful, that's a lot of praise there.
post #263 of 426 Old 12-12-2018, 06:47 AM

I have just taken a peek at some threads that are trending from other manufacturers of AVR's. I had no idea that people were having so many problems with ground loop hum and other noise issues. I just assumed there were so many posts in those threads because loyal customers were praising their purchases, and getting together in Kumbaya moments, as was suggested here by a member. Boy, was I wrong. There seems to be a certain problem among other mainstream manufacturers across the board concerning these ground loop issues.

When I first saw the problem that irwando was having, I considered it to be an isolated problem (pun intended). I have never seen any posts about ground loop or other noise issues with the NAD components, and now I am seeing that there are a lot of these issues all across the electronics manufacturers spectrum. I realize that NAD is a relatively small mover of components compared to these behemoths like Yamaha, Denon, Marantz (of late),etc, but these manufacturers are not without these issues that run relatively commonplace among all of these major audio component manufacturers. It was hard to follow all of the issues brought up in these threads about these manufacturers problems with their circuitry concerning hum and other power supply related problems, there were so many.. I don't buy mass marketed audio components, so I've never been exposed to these firsthand.

I didn't feel like NAD was getting enough praise on this beautiful morning so I thought I'd set the record straight.
post #264 of 426 Old 12-12-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Ground loop problems are usually associated with house wiring and not the component. The noise reported in the NAD's is a component issue.
post #265 of 426 Old 12-12-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
Ground loop problems are usually associated with house wiring and not the component. The noise reported in the NAD's is a component issue.
It seems that the problem cannot be traced to any kind of instigator until it has been resolved. Let's see what is found out to be the problem before jumping to conclusions. The man said this is the second NAD unit that has been tried. I don't see the odds in favor of two components displaying the exact same problem to be an indication of the device itself to be at fault. That simply makes no logical sense. If it indeed was the component, chances are that the issue wouldn't have been replicated if another unit were tried in it's place. That has already been done, and a third unit is now going to be tried. There is no indication that it is a component issue as of this moment in time.

Either there is a ground loop problem, or perhaps a wireless interference related issue, but the component can be ruled out entirely as to be at fault if a third unit replicates the problem. There is something in the man's room/house that is causing this unique situation most likely.
post #266 of 426 Old 12-12-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
There is something in the man's room/house that is causing this unique situation most likely.

This is what I suspect. I'm wondering if there is something about the specific design/components choice by NAD interacts in a weird with with my specific environment. That's why I'm trying a different brand.

I by no means think NAD is a bad brand - their reputation and features where what brought me to try them. I'm sad that its not been the best experience *for me*.

New Anthem receiver arrives tomorrow. Excited to hook it up and see if there is a difference. If not I'll keep the NAD for sure. If so then I'll likely switch but will definitely miss things about the NAD.
post #267 of 426 Old 12-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I won't belabor the points already made about the issues with NADs execution of Dirac and the significant failures and general buggy behavior. Many have successful experiences with the NAD AVRs, but there are just too many that don't have good experiences to discount them as one-offs.

I will say in general NAD gear is the working man's hifi gear. NAD has a long well deserved history of offering solid gear at a mid-fi price point. Outside of their AVR product lines - their products are continually solid offerings that fall in step with their historical product lines from the last several decades providing the market with solid gears.

Sadly NAD has fallen victim much to their own doing with their own flavor of Dirac, their firmware and software.

Many dealers have dropped NADs AV gears only to carry the hifi side of NAD because of the numerous issues and the dealers have grown tired of selling to customers only to have the customers become unhappy and frustrated.

Hopefully NAD will get their stuff up to par before too long.

I actually really wanted to purchase an NAD 777v3 but with every dealer call ending with - ' I would look elsewhere for AV solutions .... for now. ' I decided - I don't want a high maintenance product.

Dirac is a solid kit -- other mfgrs execute it well - but the NAD flavor sucks.

" Listen and you will see. "
post #268 of 426 Old 12-13-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioheaven View Post
I won't belabor the points already made about the issues with NADs execution of Dirac and the significant failures and general buggy behavior. Many have successful experiences with the NAD AVRs, but there are just too many that don't have good experiences to discount them as one-offs.

I will say in general NAD gear is the working man's hifi gear. NAD has a long well deserved history of offering solid gear at a mid-fi price point. Outside of their AVR product lines - their products are continually solid offerings that fall in step with their historical product lines from the last several decades providing the market with solid gears.

Sadly NAD has fallen victim much to their own doing with their own flavor of Dirac, their firmware and software.

Many dealers have dropped NADs AV gears only to carry the hifi side of NAD because of the numerous issues and the dealers have grown tired of selling to customers only to have the customers become unhappy and frustrated.

Hopefully NAD will get their stuff up to par before too long.

I actually really wanted to purchase an NAD 777v3 but with every dealer call ending with - ' I would look elsewhere for AV solutions .... for now. ' I decided - I don't want a high maintenance product.

Dirac is a solid kit -- other mfgrs execute it well - but the NAD flavor sucks.
"I actually really wanted to purchase an NAD 777v3 but with every dealer call ending with - ' I would look elsewhere for AV solutions .... for now. ' I decided - I don't want a high maintenance product."

I agree. Every single dealer I talked to have gone so far as to curse NAD for their inferior, overpriced audio components, except for the largest one in the US, Crutchfield. I explain this truth below. I suspect you won't see any movement on these NAD threads on these audio forums after all of the dealers drop that inferior line of so called audiophile audio components and the brand fails to exist. I'm pretty sure that they are still carrying the entire line of NAD products, and wouldn't want to take a loss on all of the in stock pieces of junk they still have to move out of inventory ASAP, before this truth gets out.

"Many dealers have dropped NADs AV gears only to carry the hifi side of NAD because of the numerous issues and the dealers have grown tired of selling to customers only to have the customers become unhappy and frustrated."

I see that NAD are the only brand who allows it's dealers to pick and choose what specific components the distributors carry anymore, as the trend now is to drop them all. That's a great policy. Now the dealers can pick and chose the selected NAD components they want, without crippling them by having to sell these competitive priced components that are inferior products. Yes, the return rate is phenomenal on these so called audiophile grade components. It's a good thing that there is a forum like this one to get out the "Truth" about this terrible line of products. I hope more people see this thread to conclude, as you have so enthusiastically put it, that "the NAD flavor sucks."

Thanks for the heads up. People come to forums like this one to get to the truth about the products they spend their hard earned money on, and the NAD brand has been lying about their quality, and now we can set the record straight. This forum deserves more "Truth tellers" such as yourself to get out the HONEST truth about this crappy line of pretend "Mid-fi" products. I will never, ever, be lied to about audio components again. I will come straight to this forum to get the real skinny on this, as the public deserves people that are willing to stand tall, and deliver nothing but the truth about these audio products. Crutchfield was supporting the entire line of NAD components just yesterday. How dare they!!! There is nothing worse than someone who will lie just to sell their personal "Agenda".

Where can I mark this thread down so that more people will see it, as this needs to be told to everyone, far and wide.

EDIT: I'm ROFLMAO

I am sure that all of you astute people realize this is snark.

Last edited by bootster; 12-13-2018 at 08:07 AM.
post #269 of 426 Old 12-13-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
This is what I suspect. I'm wondering if there is something about the specific design/components choice by NAD interacts in a weird with with my specific environment. That's why I'm trying a different brand.

I by no means think NAD is a bad brand - their reputation and features where what brought me to try them. I'm sad that its not been the best experience *for me*.

New Anthem receiver arrives tomorrow. Excited to hook it up and see if there is a difference. If not I'll keep the NAD for sure. If so then I'll likely switch but will definitely miss things about the NAD.
Any updates yet? We are all waiting to see if you fixed your problem.
post #270 of 426 Old 12-13-2018, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Get the Dirac discussion moved away from the technical questions about the units themselves. I feel as though the negative comments on Dirac are unfairly damaging NAD's reputation.

Hi bootster,

I work for Dirac Research so I'm admittedly biased but I'd appreciate knowing about all those "negative comments on Dirac .. unfairly damaging NAD's reputation" in this thread, it's nine pages only so it will not take you too much time.

On the contrary I usually see positive comments about Dirac, eventually supporting NAD's reputation, but I might have missed all those negative ones you're referring to

Thanks, Flavio
roe12605 likes this.

Warning: My posts might be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page