AVR Recommendation for x < $500 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By afrogt

post #1 of 8 Old 04-28-2017, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
AVR Recommendation for x < $500

Hello All,

I know it's a common question, but I do need advice on a replacement AVR:

My Reason:

My Onkyo NR-807 has been acting up and for a few days was powering on but not outputting any Audio. Video pass-through worked fine, but Audio would not play regardless of what the Input source was (HDMI, Optical, Tuner.. did not try anything else). Basic searches on the net led me to think it is likely the common Onkyo issue of the HDMI board crapping out or a broken connection somewhere. I did try the workaround of leaving the AVR on for a long time to hopefully warm up/melt the connection back to together but that didn't work. Yesterday, my wife let me know the baby got the receiver working -_- Naturally, I come home and the receiver is off and when turned on it doesn't work. My solution was to behave like the baby, so I set the Tuner to a station, pumped up the volume and then did what my baby would do: push the power button on/off on/off. Eventually, it actually worked. I am under no illusion that this is permanent.. a friend has offered to let me use his spray/cleaner for electronics because he thinks maybe a switch got dirty. I have to check if that will void warranty or not. I know that Onkyo has extended warranties to cover some issues (which may be the one I suffer from) but need to check my serial number when I get home.

I may need a new receiver if the repair is not covered or if the repair does not stick (multiple complaints on the web of people RMA-ing their receiver and having it fail again). Some people said Onkyo offered a credit toward a purchase, but not many people seem to want to go back to Onkyo.

My Equipment:

- 1080P Panasonic plasma 3D tv
- Panasonic 3d BD player
- PS3
- Xbox 360
- HD-DVD player (barely used anymore)
- 2x Infinity Primus P362 towers
- 2x Infinity Primus P163 bookshelf
- 1x Infinity Primus C350 center
- 1x Rythmik LV12R sub
- Onkyo NR807 receiver, supposedly 135 wpc

My Thoughts:

I would prefer something like the Marantz slim receivers but the power per channel seems lower than what I have, and the Marantz slims get pricey as you go up. I would prefer slim because the beast that I have runs hot, weighs 40lb and made me build a DIY flexi-rack to house everything. Something that is more accommodating to regular tv furniture would be great.

I would very much like to get a receiver that handles 3D. The Onkyo NR807 was purchased prior to the tv and bd player and cannot handle 3D, so i had to bypass HDMI audio and use Optical instead. 3D movies may be getting axed, but if possible I would like to have this option.

I would like to future-proof as much as possible when it comes to TVs and movies, but NOT to speakers. IE, I do not need to bulk up on power from the AVR in anticipation of more powerful speakers because at this point in my life the rabbit-hole has disappeared and it is more practical for me to upgrade the TV to 4K eventually than to get better, more expensive and/or more thirsty speakers. I don't know enough about the changing 4K standards to plan ahead for this.

I have already dropped my rear speakers because our apartment setup made it impossible for me to safely have them out with our baby, and baby comes first. I may ditch the towers (p362) and center (c350)and just use the rear speakers (P163) as fronts in conjunction with the sub (LV 12R) since 5.1, but would like to retain the ability to drive all the speakers (the subwoofer is self-powered).

Some AVRs I looked at were the Denon S510BT, Denon S720 and Marantz NR1506 and Marantz NR1606.

Finally, I may consider upgrading the speakers down the line, but doubt I will be able to justify a high expenditure.. it would probably be some flatpack DIY as suggested on this forum, or maybe something like the new Monoprice Air Motion Cinema 5. not anytime soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-28-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 301
If you have a Costco membership you may want to look at the Yamaha TSR-7810. It will do everything you want. If not and you have no objection to a refurb then there is accessories4less that has them for below the $500 price you have set. They come with a 1 year warranty and if you want you can purchase additional 2 year warranty for $29.99.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...rx-v781/1.html
post #3 of 8 Old 04-29-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
Costco sells Square Trade warranties, and also extends the manufacturer warranty on certain electronic devices for a year. Though I've had several Yamahas and never had a warranty-covered issue over several years of use.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-05-2017, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your information, and sorry I did not respond sooner. I will look into the Yamaha. My initial thoughts are that it is even taller than the NR-807 which may complicate furniture choices int eh future, but it is, at least, less deep than the Onkyo.

Again, thank you.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-05-2017, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeez View Post
Thank you both for your information, and sorry I did not respond sooner. I will look into the Yamaha. My initial thoughts are that it is even taller than the NR-807 which may complicate furniture choices int eh future, but it is, at least, less deep than the Onkyo.

Again, thank you.
I doubt the Yamaha suggested is taller than your NR-807. It seems that current AVR's are not as tall as the older models. Unless of course you go for one of the more compact AVR's from both Marantz and Yamaha. They both make compact AVR's for cabinets with limited space. Marantz makes two models the NR 1507 and NR 1607. Yamaha has one with the RX-S601 Slimline.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-05-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2330 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeez View Post

Again, thank you.
The Yamaha is NOT taller than your Onkyo nr807. It's actually an inch shorter.

Yamaha TSR-7810 17-1/8”W x 6-3/4”H x 14-7/8”D

Onkyo NR807 17-1/8"W x 7-13/16"H x 17-3/4"D
ChromeJob likes this.

Afro GT
post #7 of 8 Old 05-05-2017, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

You are both correct; I was looking at the height with the Antenna included, which is 9.25". Does the antenna have to be facing directly up?
post #8 of 8 Old 05-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 192
The Denon X2200W is similar to the S720W but pumps out a bit more power per channel and upgrades the Audyssey calibration to MultEQ XT from regular MultEQ. You can get it for $499 on Amazon with prime shipping. If you have a Fry's near you and want to wait for a deal then you could keep an eye out for the "Name brand receiver" for $499 marked down from $999, which turned out to be the Denon X3300W when I went and bought it. It's an in store only deal and I'm not sure how often it shows up. Both the 2200 and 3300 support 3D and 4K and 7.1 or Atmos 5.1.2 so they should be pretty decent as far as future proofing.

Also I think @jdsmoothie here on AVS forums is an authorized dealer for Denon (and other brands too) and it sounds like he has good prices. It might be worth shooting him a PM to see what he recommends and has to offer.

Last edited by godfatherip; 05-05-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page