Remote Control - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-29-2017, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Remote Control

This my be a silly question, but I am concerned about the remote controls available with Yamaha's new lines of Receivers. I noticed that the remote control only has one power button. My old Yamaha receiver's remote has four power button along the top. Two are the on/standby buttons for the receiver, one for the TV, and one for whichever AV input is selected on the controller. My question is how do you power on/off the TV and components when there is only one master power button?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-29-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed6and789 View Post
This my be a silly question, but I am concerned about the remote controls available with Yamaha's new lines of Receivers. I noticed that the remote control only has one power button. My old Yamaha receiver's remote has four power button along the top. Two are the on/standby buttons for the receiver, one for the TV, and one for whichever AV input is selected on the controller. My question is how do you power on/off the TV and components when there is only one master power button?
Not silly at all. Your older receiver probably had a programmable remote that did turn on other sources. Today's receivers do not come with those type of remotes. You need to get something programmable like a Harmony or some other brand. Harmony remotes seem to be the go to remotes due to their ability to program many brands and models of sources. However Yamaha AVR's do have Scene buttons that do set the correct functions for sources. Don't know if they actually turn them on or off though. Someone else will have to answer that question. Get a Harmony they are worth the cost.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-29-2017, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I just looked into Harmony and other universal remotes, and they pretty much look the same with one power button. I wonder if my existing Yamaha remote will work with the new receiver. I really only use seven buttons on my remote, so these universal remotes do seem too fancy for what I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-29-2017, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Depending how old your remote may be you're probably going to be missing several functions of the new receivers, especially if they have internet radio, Pandora, or other streaming apps.

If you buy a Yamaha receiver your old remote might work. If you buy a different receiver brand probably not.

Harmony remotes are very easy to use and can control or turn on/off 8 devices or more.

Afro GT
post #5 of 10 Old 04-29-2017, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I just looked into Harmony and other universal remotes, and they pretty much look the same with one power button. I wonder if my existing Yamaha remote will work with the new receiver. I really only use seven buttons on my remote, so these universal remotes do seem too fancy for what I need.
The thing about Harmony remotes is yes there is one power button. It is used to turn everything off mostly. After you program the Harmony for all of your sources there will be a touch screen or button to turn on all devices associated with the sources used. Example would be Display,AVR,BluRay player all with one touch. They can be easily setup to do any Activity you want. Don't want the display on to use Cd player then its easily programmed to do that. I have a Harmony One that I've been using for many years. All Activities are in it. Would not consider going without one. Thousands of models of sources on their website. As for using your old remote all I can say is try it but I doubt it will do what you want. Also note there is a Remote Control Area forum at this site.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-remote-control-area/

Last edited by phantom52; 04-29-2017 at 03:09 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-29-2017, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

"After you program the Harmony for all of your sources there will be a touch screen or button to turn on all devices associated with the sources used. "

The issue with this is that I need the display on to select music through my Xbox, then once I get what I want playing, I turn off my display. The one button dedicated to toggling the power of my television is very important to me, and it doesn't look like they make remote controls this way anymore. Maybe I'm being stubborn, but it doesn't make sense to me to eliminate this button.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-29-2017, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
"After you program the Harmony for all of your sources there will be a touch screen or button to turn on all devices associated with the sources used. "

The issue with this is that I need the display on to select music through my Xbox, then once I get what I want playing, I turn off my display. The one button dedicated to toggling the power of my television is very important to me, and it doesn't look like they make remote controls this way anymore. Maybe I'm being stubborn, but it doesn't make sense to me to eliminate this button.
The button will be on the Harmony touch screen. It will power toggle whatever device you program into it. You need to go to the Remote section I linked to to get all the answers to your questions. They may be able to help you there concerning your current remote also. Besides what was your old receiver and what is your new receiver?
post #8 of 10 Old 04-29-2017, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post
The button will be on the Harmony touch screen. It will power toggle whatever device you program into it. You need to go to the Remote section I linked to to get all the answers to your questions. They may be able to help you there concerning your current remote also. Besides what was your old receiver and what is your new receiver?
Old receiver: Yamaha RX-V863
New receiver: Yamaha RX-V683 or 483
post #9 of 10 Old 04-29-2017, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Old receiver: Yamaha RX-V863
New receiver: Yamaha RX-V683 or 483
Read this on another thread.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-29-2017, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 2082
I just use my tablet in a cup holder mount on my chair........

I got tired of the remote shuffle/juggle programing dance.

I just need to find a remote app for my PJ and then I can file that remote away too as I only used it to power up mostly.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page