The Official Onkyo 2017 TX-NR575 and TX-NR676 Thread - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 504Likes

post #1111 of 1138 Old 12-22-2019, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
TX-NR575 and XBOX360 --- Blue Screen

Hi all,

I stumbled upon this thread while troubleshooting my issue and have noticed more complex problems than mine have been solved through the help of the community, so I'm hoping mine is an easy fix for someone with more expertise than myself.

ENVIRONMENT

Onkyo TX-NR575
Xbox 360
Samsung TV UN65NU8000

CONNECTIONS

TV is connected from HDMI-ARC on TV to HDMI-ARC on Onkyo using HDMI Fibre Cable
Xbox360 is connected from HDMI on XBOX360 to HDMI_GAME on Onkyo using regular HDMI cable

PROBLEM

The Xbox only displays a blue screen when connected to through the receiver. If connected directly to the TV, it works fine.

WHAT I'VE TRIED SO FAR

Different HDMI cables between XBOX and Onkyo --- it's not a cable issue
Different TV settings --- doesn't seem to have anything to do with the TV

I'm not really sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1138 Old 12-22-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malitz View Post
The Xbox only displays a blue screen when connected to through the receiver. If connected directly to the TV, it works fine.

Hi Malitz, welcome to AVS Forum. On the Xbox 360 menu try turning off "Display Discovery" and see if that helps.

Console Settings -> Display -> (scroll down) Display Discovery
post #1113 of 1138 Old 12-22-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi Malitz, welcome to AVS Forum. On the Xbox 360 menu try turning off "Display Discovery" and see if that helps.

Console Settings -> Display -> (scroll down) Display Discovery

Thanks for replying. I ended up figuring it out. The HDMI input on the Onkyo was not properly configured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 1138 Old 12-27-2019, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Need some suggestions on this...

I'm trying to hookup some wireless RF headphones (Sony WH-RF400) into my system for an elderly individual who needs extra hearing assistance: The setup is a Vizio M-Series TV connected via HDMI ARC into the NR676, with 5.1.2 speakers wired in.

The RF headphones require analog input on some kind, so I was under the assumption I could just use the Zone 2 Line Outs (pink circle in attached photo)... Apparently they will only output sound from analog sources, meaning no audio from my TV. Seems like a oversight to not openly disclose a receiver has no real component output for digital signals...

Another idea I had was to use the optical audio out on the TV into the extra optical input on the Onkyo (yellow circle in photo), but I'm also under the impression the receiver will also only accept PCM and not digital for signals over Toslink when using Zone 2 line out. There is no way to set PCM on the TV's optical output without also turning the ARC signal into PCM as well, causing me to lose DD and DD+.

Any thoughts on how I can connect these headphones? The front headphone jack is not an option, because it will disable external speaker playback (I'm trying to run the headphones simultaneously as the external speakers), plus it would wear out the jack rather quickly with constant plugging in/out.

Thanks for any help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmus View Post
Hello,

I have purchased recently an refub received with intention to use it with two zones (one zone indoor and one outside).
I'm having a PCM hdmi input from hdmi1 playing correctly in zone 1 all-channel-stereo but when i go and set same input to play in zone2 there is no sound ;-(

When i switch Zone2 to AUX IN i have audio in zone 2 from my chromecast audio and in zone1 from hdmi1.

Why i cannot play audio from hdmi in zone1 and zone2 from the same hdmi input ? In something broken in the receiver? Should I RMA it ?

edit:

i got following response, how is that possible ...
Sales Accessories4less
4:54 PM (39 minutes ago)
to me

Hi

Zone 2 doesn’t send HDMI or digital inputs to this zone, it’s only analog which is why the AUX works on the HDMI doesn’t. It’s the limitation of the model not a defect.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outputs.png
Views:	21
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	2659832  
post #1115 of 1138 Old 12-31-2019, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
TX-NR575 and LG C9 ARC not consistently working

As we say in the military, Bottom Line up Front (BLUF): I can't seem to get ARC to consistently work when I'm streaming via my LG C9 TV.

ENVIRONMENT

Onkyo TX-NR575
LG C9 (Bought in July)

CONNECTIONS

PROBLEM

Sometimes I get sound from the TV stream, and sometimes I don't. Can't correlate steps taken to positive results.

WHAT I'VE TRIED SO FAR

If I turn everything off, turn the receiver on, then turn on the TV, then select the streaming app, it usually works. If I do this in any other order (example, going straight from cable input to streaming input) I can't seem to make the ARC connection wakeup.

I think the AVR auto switches to TV mode when ARC kicks in (not sure, it's in another room for space so I can't see the screen) but manually selecting the mode (when sound is not working) doesn't fix it.

Roscoe
post #1116 of 1138 Old 12-31-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
As we say in the military, Bottom Line up Front (BLUF): I can't seem to get ARC to consistently work when I'm streaming via my LG C9 TV.

ENVIRONMENT

Onkyo TX-NR575

LG C9 (Bought in July)

CONNECTIONS

PROBLEM

Sometimes I get sound from the TV stream, and sometimes I don't. Can't correlate steps taken to positive results.

WHAT I'VE TRIED SO FAR

If I turn everything off, turn the receiver on, then turn on the TV, then select the streaming app, it usually works. If I do this in any other order (example, going straight from cable input to streaming input) I can't seem to make the ARC connection wakeup.

I think the AVR auto switches to TV mode when ARC kicks in (not sure, it's in another room for space so I can't see the screen) but manually selecting the mode (when sound is not working) doesn't fix it.

So it's probably 1 of 2 things. I have a LG b8 and the tx-nr676, so similar setup. First, on the c9, go into audio settings. Change sound out to internal, turn off Dolby atmos and adaptive sound control, then change audio out back to HDMI Arc and make sure it's set to auto and not pcm.

The 2nd thing would be an issue with hdmi-cec, which I also sometimes experience. I'm guessing you use mainly only 2 inputs on the TV itself (HDMI 2 - named Onkyo in my case) and the TV stream apps, so the internal input. If you have HDMI cec turned on on any of the devices connected to the avr other than the tv, sometimes the inputs on the receiver get confused. Unfortunately if the audio doesn't come thru at first then pressing TV on the Onkyo remote won't bring up the audio, what I usually do is use the TV remote, press home, select HDMI 2 Onkyo, then go back to whatever app I was trying to use and it will resend the HDMI cec command to the receiver.

I'm at the point where I have an Amazon fire stick 4k and don't even bother with the internal apps except for Xfinity stream. If you're sending it to a receiver you're not getting Atmos from the TV anyways, and the fire stick supports Dolby vision.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #1117 of 1138 Old 01-01-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMayo01 View Post
So it's probably 1 of 2 things. I have a LG b8 and the tx-nr676, so similar setup. First, on the c9, go into audio settings. Change sound out to internal, turn off Dolby atmos and adaptive sound control, then change audio out back to HDMI Arc and make sure it's set to auto and not pcm.

The 2nd thing would be an issue with hdmi-cec, which I also sometimes experience. I'm guessing you use mainly only 2 inputs on the TV itself (HDMI 2 - named Onkyo in my case) and the TV stream apps, so the internal input. If you have HDMI cec turned on on any of the devices connected to the avr other than the tv, sometimes the inputs on the receiver get confused. Unfortunately if the audio doesn't come thru at first then pressing TV on the Onkyo remote won't bring up the audio, what I usually do is use the TV remote, press home, select HDMI 2 Onkyo, then go back to whatever app I was trying to use and it will resend the HDMI cec command to the receiver.

I'm at the point where I have an Amazon fire stick 4k and don't even bother with the internal apps except for Xfinity stream. If you're sending it to a receiver you're not getting Atmos from the TV anyways, and the fire stick supports Dolby vision.

I had a rather long post typed and then poof, the screen went back to the beginning of the thread and lost everything. #sigh

I reset everything per step 1...we'll see if the intermittent nature of the issue goes away. As for step 2, I'll try that (I've tried several things and some have worked and some haven't...to the point I can never remember that did or didn't help).

Do you have your Fire Stick plugged into the TV or your AVR? Since my AVR doesn't support eARC (rumor has it test LG doesn't implement it correctly and folks have had varying levels of success with it), I'm thinking it should go into the AVR to take advantage of the sound. Question is whether HDR video will pass through?

Roscoe
post #1118 of 1138 Old 01-01-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I had a rather long post typed and then poof, the screen went back to the beginning of the thread and lost everything. #sigh

I reset everything per step 1...we'll see if the intermittent nature of the issue goes away. As for step 2, I'll try that (I've tried several things and some have worked and some haven't...to the point I can never remember that did or didn't help).

Do you have your Fire Stick plugged into the TV or your AVR? Since my AVR doesn't support eARC (rumor has it test LG doesn't implement it correctly and folks have had varying levels of success with it), I'm thinking it should go into the AVR to take advantage of the sound. Question is whether HDR video will pass through?
I have the firetv directly into the receiver. I don't know the differences between the 575 and 676, but I get all video passed thru, hdr10 and Dolby vision. Just need to make sure you have it on enhanced mode or Dolby vision will look messed up. Regarding eARC it isn't currently necessary because all the streaming apps compress their audio into a lossy Dolby digital plus signal. Also, there isn't a single receiver on the market yet that supports HDMI 2.1, and any that claim to be 2.0b and support eARC is basically a beta and who knows what you're getting. The only way to get lossless from your TV would be the Plex app, and even then I don't think the TV Arc port supports the output of those formats. Currently the only way to get lossless audio from local media is either a Blu Ray player directly into the avr, or an Nvidia shield streaming device, which supports lossless audio.

The firetv will only output in Dolby digital plus, but honestly, if I'm using streaming apps that audio is fine. If I'm going for a true theater experience I'll use a disc format.

post #1119 of 1138 Old 01-01-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMayo01 View Post
I have the firetv directly into the receiver. I don't know the differences between the 575 and 676, but I get all video passed thru, hdr10 and Dolby vision. Just need to make sure you have it on enhanced mode or Dolby vision will look messed up. Regarding eARC it isn't currently necessary because all the streaming apps compress their audio into a lossy Dolby digital plus signal. Also, there isn't a single receiver on the market yet that supports HDMI 2.1, and any that claim to be 2.0b and support eARC is basically a beta and who knows what you're getting. The only way to get lossless from your TV would be the Plex app, and even then I don't think the TV Arc port supports the output of those formats. Currently the only way to get lossless audio from local media is either a Blu Ray player directly into the avr, or an Nvidia shield streaming device, which supports lossless audio.

The firetv will only output in Dolby digital plus, but honestly, if I'm using streaming apps that audio is fine. If I'm going for a true theater experience I'll use a disc format.

Thanks for that clarification. I was unaware and somewhat disappointed to learn that the nVidia Shield is the only device that will steam lossless audio. My Plex library has some Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA titles that I was hoping I could stream. That said, I don't have that many lossless titles so I'm not losing so much (95/2000) to justify another $200 on a Shield. However, it appears that I'm getting no back speakers on any DTS movie (AC-3/DD seems to be the only format that uses the back channels). THAT is worth fixing; Firestick or similar should fix that.

Roscoe
post #1120 of 1138 Old 01-02-2020, 01:27 AM

So I did another test, this time looking at what the AVR was receiving from the TV/ARC (Plex stream app). The movie included a DTS sound format...the receiver was reporting DTS 5 channels (see picture).

I know the speakers are attached because I've heard sound from them. Can somebody 'plain why the receiver is showing but not "sounding" from the back?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DTS on AVR.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	811.0 KB
ID:	2662614  

Roscoe
post #1121 of 1138 Old 01-02-2020, 03:52 AM

Quote:
So I did another test, this time looking at what the AVR was receiving from the TV/ARC (Plex stream app). The movie included a DTS sound format...the receiver was reporting DTS 5 channels (see picture).

I know the speakers are attached because I've heard sound from them. Can somebody 'plain why the receiver is showing but not "sounding" from the back?

Thanks!
So if you look closer at the screen there, on the top right it says dts:neural x. That's not actually dts, it's the receiver doing post processing and using a dts virtual surround. So you're not actually getting the tru dts signal. Use the Onkyo remote and press movies/tv until it says direct, or Dolby digital plus, or dts. Pretty sure the tv can only output Dolby though. That doesn't help you with the rear sound.

Regarding the rear sound going to need more information. How did you set everything up in the beginning? Did you use the microphone and do a calibration? If so did you leave it as is or tweak some more. If you didn't do the calibration did you set it up manually? The easiest check would be the levels and/or the crossovers. For some reason when I run the calibration it thinks my rear crossovers should be 200 hz. I have floor standing fronts a center, rears and a sub and I set the floors to full hand (cuz they can and I like bass) and all the other to 80 hz. Speaker distance is important too.

post #1122 of 1138 Old 01-02-2020, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Actually, the input signal is in red. He is in fact getting a DTS signal and the Onkyo is applying Neural X processing to it. A few clicks of the info button on the Onkyo remote control will display the input signal and current processing mode. It also seems that it is a five channel signal but that does not mean any information is contained in all of the channels. There is definitely something wrong with that DTS track but I think it is contained in Plex.
post #1123 of 1138 Old 01-02-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre74 View Post
Actually, the input signal is in red. He is in fact getting a DTS signal and the Onkyo is applying Neural X processing to it. A few clicks of the info button on the Onkyo remote control will display the input signal and current processing mode. It also seems that it is a five channel signal but that does not mean any information is contained in all of the channels. There is definitely something wrong with that DTS track but I think it is contained in Plex.
Thanks. I'll go to the Plex forums and see what they can tell me.

Roscoe
post #1124 of 1138 Old 01-14-2020, 01:56 PM

I have a Tx-nr676e. I'm want to use the two hdmi outputs. The main to my lg b7 and the Sub to a philips hue sync box.
It is setup with main +sub so I get video out on both outputs. I set dv to main and expect that dv will only come out of the main output. I don't want dv out of the sub because the sync box doesn't support dv.

The problem is that the 676e Wants to send dv out to both outputs. I can't activate dv for only the main port. It's either both outputs or nothing?
Is there a work around for this? I just want dolby vision out of the main output and regular 4k or 1080p out of the sub port.

If I disable dv then it all works with just hdr.
post #1125 of 1138 Old 01-14-2020, 02:36 PM

You should be able to turn DV off for the SUB output and leave it on only for the MAIN, but the receiver assumes you are connecting two TV's. There may be an issue when connected to another kind of device.
post #1126 of 1138 Old 01-15-2020, 04:22 AM

Quote:
You should be able to turn DV off for the SUB output and leave it on only for the MAIN, but the receiver assumes you are connecting two TV's. There may be an issue when connected to another kind of device.
I'v tried to trick it by using 1.4 hdmi cable out of the sub port. I still get dv on main, but I still doesn't solve my problem.
If only I could disable dv on sub then my day would be saved
post #1127 of 1138 Old 01-15-2020, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantdk View Post
I'v tried to trick it by using 1.4 hdmi cable out of the sub port. I still get dv on main, but I still doesn't solve my problem.
If only I could disable dv on sub then my day would be saved
Do you have the latest firmware? https://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/f...tx-nr676e.html

The manual implies that Dolby Vision can only be sent to 1 port and not both but it seems like there are still handshake issues that complicate this.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.80 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
post #1128 of 1138 Old 01-15-2020, 09:08 AM

What kind of DV devices are you hooking up to the Onkyo?
post #1129 of 1138 Old 01-15-2020, 09:20 AM

Question

Quote:
What kind of DV devices are you hooking up to the Onkyo?
I have a nvidia shield pro connected to the receiver and arc to the ld oled b7 (main)
I then have the sub output going to philips hue sync box.

The sync box doesn't support dv.
post #1130 of 1138 Old 01-15-2020, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 5.2.2 setup. Or at least I think I do. What does the receiver say and how can I confirm that the content being played is actually coming through in Atmos on a 676?
post #1131 of 1138 Old 01-15-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsamsel View Post
I have a 5.2.2 setup. Or at least I think I do. What does the receiver say and how can I confirm that the content being played is actually coming through in Atmos on a 676?
To clarify on this I am using an xBox 1 ...watching Mogwi or something on Netflix that is Atmos. Picture is great...sound sounds good but I really have no idea if it is Atmos or not. What would I see on the receiver if Atmos is doing its thing?
post #1132 of 1138 Old 01-15-2020, 11:41 PM

Press the info button on the Onkyo remote control to see the incoming audio and video codecs.
post #1133 of 1138 Old 01-16-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Press the info button on the Onkyo remote control to see the incoming audio and video codecs.
I don't have an info button.
post #1134 of 1138 Old 01-16-2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
If you have a 676 yes you do

post #1135 of 1138 Old 01-16-2020, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Xbox One mixes everything to Atmos if you turn Atmos on in the Xbox One settings. This will not tell you if the source in Netflix is Atmos because it will always say Atmos. Use the built in netflix app on your B7 and ARC to see if netflix is sending atmos.

Press the i button

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.80 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
post #1136 of 1138 Old 01-16-2020, 10:00 AM

I haven't replaced my old 360 and wondered how the Xbox One handled everything. So, set to Atmos, it all comes over as Atmos?
post #1137 of 1138 Old 01-16-2020, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I haven't replaced my old 360 and wondered how the Xbox One handled everything. So, set to Atmos, it all comes over as Atmos?
Yes. The UI sounds are Atmos enhanced

post #1138 of 1138 Old 01-17-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3incorp View Post
I had to disable ARC and CEC on both TV and receiver. Unplug power from TV and then turn CEC and ARC back on. It took a few tries of enabling and disabling, but it finally worked.

This saved me a lot of aggravation. Thanks for posting this solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
7.1 , 7.1 setup , dolby atmos , Onkyo , receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page