The Official Onkyo 2017 TX-NR575 and TX-NR676 Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 508Likes

post #241 of 1184 Old 03-08-2018, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
They are all the same model, but different years. The biggest things I can think of is

676: 2017 Model, HDMI 7in/2out, rear 6 HDMI in can do HDCP2.2 needed for 4K HDR10 (front port is somewhat limited), Dolby Vision capability, probably about 1 yr of FW updates in the tank
656: 2016 Model, HDMI 8in/2out, only 3 HDMI in can do HDCP2.2 needed for 4K HDR10, Dolby Vision capability with FW update, no more feature firmware
646: 2015 Model, HDMI 8in/2out, only 3 HDMI in can do HDCP2.2 needed for 4K HDR10, NO Dolby Vision capability, no more feature firmware
Thank you for breaking it down for me i couldn't find much data on the manufactured years of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1184 Old 03-08-2018, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
The issue I’m having with my 676 is similar to you. I want to leave HDMI UHD color enabled on the one input I’m using coming from the receiver to my tv and I get everything to work but the cable box gets no sound. So I tried to remedy this by connecting the cable box directly to one of the inputs on the tv and use ARC and use another input for the receiver to work everything else, but now I see and hear the cable tv but don’t get any picture while using anything else. It’s to the point where I’m just going to return this receiver. I’ve had Denon and Yamaha receivers and never had these issues.

At this point I don’t know how to get it to work properly. It’s very frustrating. My tv is the Samsung KS8000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Artman22,

You might be interested in this...

https://www.change.org/p/samsung-dol...amsung-suhd-tv

It looks like Samsung dropped the ball on the KS8000 for DD+ audio settings. Without the ability to set the TV audio to DD+, you will not be able to watch Vudu (via TV app) with sound - Atmos etc.
Artman22 likes this.

4K Samsung MU9000 TV | Pioneer SC-LX502 | Sony X700 | Apple 4K TV
Streaming Vudu (TV App) with Atmos
post #243 of 1184 Old 03-09-2018, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
What happens when you connect the ATV directly to the TV? Do you have to change any TV settings for 12bit color?
Well I thought I had it all figured out but I guess not. So where I am at right now is back where I started except my ARC port seems to be functioning fine on my Vizio. I must not have had the hdmi plugged in tightly or something. If I plug the hdmi from my Vizio directly to my ATV4k I get Dolby Vision. When I take that same cable, plug it into the monitor port on my 676 and plug the hdmi for my ATV from my Stream Box port the most I can do is HDR, no Dolby Vision. I tried a few different hdmi's but still had the same issue. I just ordered a Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4 and am going to try that from my Stream Box port to the ATV4k. Am i right in assuming that the hdmi ports on the 676 should pass through Dolby Vision as long as the tv and source cant output and display it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 1184 Old 03-09-2018, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Is the latest Onkyo Firmware update 1060-7010-2040-0008 supposed to allow Dolby Vision to passthrough at 60hz?
post #245 of 1184 Old 03-09-2018, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the info Parts Fan it helped me make the decision on the 676. I got a smoking deal when i get my rebate from ONKYO.
post #246 of 1184 Old 03-10-2018, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 3019 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
I may have to eat my earlier words about the Onkyo vs. Denon debate.
I may in fact keep the Onkyo.

It appears these sub-$500 Denons are tested ONLY in Igloo like conditions.

Got a great deal on a Denon avr-S920w, the thing runs hot like an oven.
After using it for 2 days, on the second day some bursts of random static started (this is the second Denon I've had that same issue on)...
It appears to be failing already, geeze... I quadruple checked my wiring...

The Onkyo NR-676 seems like the most well built one I've seen in a while, and very few reliability issues reported.

Not to keep revisiting this, but just one last time I'll say this final thing about it...

As far as the Denon vs. Onkyo sound, well the Onkyo is a bit more bassy, but the difference wasn't as much as I expected when A/B'd more carefully.
Hence, some things sounded better on the Onkyo, while others sounded better on the Denon. Slight nod to the Denon, but not as as I thought. The Denon does have better dialog control.

The Onkyo's UI was far superior, it runs far cooler, etc.. etc...

That said, both Denon and Onkyo should be blamed for some of the sub-par QC'd garbage they've been releasing the last few years in the sub-$500 categories. I don't think either company has clean hands. They need to add better cooling.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 03-10-2018 at 05:51 PM.
post #247 of 1184 Old 03-10-2018, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all, with the 676, is it possible to use zone 2 preout as Atmos?so that you can do 5.2.4 or 7.2.2?
post #248 of 1184 Old 03-10-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 610 View Post
Hi all, with the 676, is it possible to use zone 2 preout as Atmos?so that you can do 5.2.4 or 7.2.2?
I am pretty sure NO, I think the cheapest receiver that can do that is around $600 refurb, or $800-$1000+ new.

I think all my issues with receivers are heat related. The Onkyo has more power than the Denons at the same price, that's why the Onkyo was running cooler.
At this point, I would recommend installing a Laptop Cooler or Receiver Cooler on all these receivers to make them last longer.
You can get laptop coolers for $20 or so, or you can get a 'receiver cooling' setup for about $50 to $100.

Last edited by coderguy; 03-10-2018 at 07:21 PM.
post #249 of 1184 Old 03-11-2018, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Hey all, i just set up the Onkyo 575 which replaced my long standing Onkyo HT RC 160. I swapped for the 4K pass through mainly, but also the other bells and whistles.

First off, which I think a couple have described is, the volume setting is definitely different from my previous Onkyo. Where i could do the mid 20's on volume on the 160, the 575 i'm pushing 50. I know different unit, and I'm still tweaking, but it's tough. Guess this unit doesn't have dynamic volume.

So my question really is about the built in DAC. How do I take advantage of that? I have Tidal (for now), and want to see if I can run/stream the flac, and by doing so is the DAC working. Or do I have to plug in to take advantage. If anyone knows the answer to that, it would be great.

So for now, just tweaking. Not sure I like the new calibrating compared to Audessy.
post #250 of 1184 Old 03-12-2018, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been looking for another AVR. I have had 4 Onkyo's and one Denon, all upper end. Every Onkyo I've had except one had serious quality issues. in fact my first Onkyo was actually a gift to me from somebody that abandoned it at the audio visual store I worked at, once a national chain now dead. This was when I was working my way through college. It turned out wrong with Onkyo at the time was a blown fuse but I could easily go in, replace, and then it'd work for sometime. It finally died, whatever was causing the fuse to blow probably went. However you're always in love with your first.

I did try one Pioneer, still have it, but as technology changed I had to move on. Onkyo line has always had troubles from simple updates to the firmware that would kill the system, creating a massive recall of many products some people not even aware of, which is still in existence to this day if you check out the Onkyo forums. I think until December 2018 you can return a lot of the first TX NR x0x and x1x series, e.g. Txnr717. however they had other issues such as bad HDMI boards.Those were recalled andyou are on your own to fix them.Unfortunately the onlyrepair shop that I know of that's officially qualified is either in New York or further away, and shipping is at your expense. I used to be able to repair these things but life moves on.

It's truly unfortunate because Onkyo was once the great brand. Aiwa components were also ranked very highly back in the day.It's such a shame they didn't make the digital switchand was bought out and killed by Sony.The same can be said with Athena speakers being bought out by APIs and Kiplch only to be killed. Still great sounding speakers on Onkyo's even if they're old and Onkyo's break. However with later Onkyos and recent speakers, Polk, Boston Martin's you're absolutely correct. They just don't seem to match well with the high end sounds. Piercing was an excellent adjective used earlier. You can try to tweet them through the internal equalizer but I really haven't noticed much change by changing without making everything muddy.

Denon is not as bright which was said earlier, but it is much more accurate. It also doesn't have all of the issues. I really don't understand Onkyo's issues because all of these technologies are pretty straightforward put together electronically. Onkyo is a Japanese based company which means harmony. However when Japan was known in the past for quality, companies are now sacrificing it for profits. CEOs of different companies have had to resign because of this.

I am beginning to think the best way to handle all of this will be separate. Either that or wait until the very near future when AVRs are not required since everything will be wireless as the 802.11ay standard will with multivendor you know I want to 200 Gb per second in a localized area, e.g. home theater. ISPs are going have to increase their bandwidth if they want to broadcast without compression. Japan already has 8K TV 2016 with 22.2 surround sound broadcasting to its consumers. We are years behind other countries. It's very sad that we get their leftovers. United States is also 22nd in the world in Internet. ISPs were given the money in the late 1990s by the government to make sure that the country was well wired, but companies instead found loopholes and pocketed much of the money. Sad but true. However 8K TV with 22.2 surround sound can be compressed about 50 megabits per second which won't look as good as uncompressed or sound as good as uncompressed but is capable of being broadcasted and steamed as we speak.

Can you imagine wiring a home theater for 22.2 surround sound? Then figuring out that you have places because a little bit differently? The answer is in wireless active speakers, with some of the audio adjusted internally and some of it on the cloud compensating for room configurations, speaker placement, and sound waves cancelling. The new 'Audessy" will be in real time because computer will be at a new level as quantum computers are rolled out. Quantum computers already exist though they are costly and being sold to companies like Google, NASA and the NSA. Microsoft predicts within the next 10 years they will be commonplace, and much of the computing that are on our desktops will happen in the cloud, as computing power there increases by a factor of 10's to 100's of millions. It will likely be getting machines also just transmitted the results of her actions rather than having home PCs/consoles. We are slowly moving back to a centralized system at least until some help quantum computing can be moved into homes which will be quite a feat considering the processors have to operate near 0 Kelvin.

AVR companies for the most part do not have a bright future considering everything with wireless except for some audiophiles that demand wired connections with separate amps. At first I just don't see AVRs incapable of feeding 22.2 surround sound for the 30 channels that the Japanese standard is capable of today. That would be one massive heavy power-hungry AVR, not to mention expensive. The main problems with AVRs is they constantly change the standardsand therefore you have to upgrade. Even today's state of the art, in the USA, AVRs are ALREADY obsolete as the companies know that the 8K standards exist, are being used, and have many more sound channels. 8k monitors and tvs were already introduced at CES 2018.

The next 5-10 years will dramatically change technology and most of what is being sold today will be obsolete. Passive speakers maybe saved if they are separately amped and connected with an AI model, but newer speakers will likely have more circuitry built in to connecting with a real time AI, adapting the sound stage based on other speakers in the room, objects/people in the room and the shape of the room (along with each person's customized hearing profiles calculated within). Google Home Max already does some of this, and I have no doubt other companies in silicon valley are tackling the details, as a major speaker company was just bought out by a silicon valley startup.

With regards to today's AVRs and specifically the 575 and 676, there seems to be a lot of them being sold aftermarket. Not a good sign for a one year old product, esp with a noticeable percentage being sold for parts, or not working.

Even mine I'm having to send to only under warranty for repair.

HP
post #251 of 1184 Old 03-12-2018, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really wish I could edit this last post because of not proofreading.

First I must correct:
I am beginning to think the best way to handle all of this will be using separates, e.g. Pre/post /integrated amps etc. Either that or wait until the very near future when AVRs are not required since everything will be wireless as the 802.11ay standard will with multiband and Mio technology will allow 200 Gb per second in a localized area, e.g. home theater, due to be finished in 2019.

The second had to do with; Can you imagine wiring of the home theater with 22.2 surround sound and then discovering place the speakers wrong? Or moving and then rewiring the second house for 22.2 or even higher surround sound? Can you imagine how much they will charge if you don't do it yourself? This is why speakers will be active, have internal circuitry to change their sounds, I'll likely be networked to an AI adjusting for the room conditions and the objects within it along with the other speaker outputs. It's just gonna be too hard to keep up with connecting everything to AVRs. The size, weight, power requirements, and number of amps alone within the AVRs will prohibit these types of setups. unplug the speakers from the AVR though, and connect them wirelessly with active amps and intelligence, everything is very achievable. Very portable, and upgradable over time. No massive initial investments. Great news for everyone. Video signals will also be wireless, so what good will be an AVR? Maybe it will morph into the wireless hub for all the wireless speakers, and Tvs, more likely than not that will be handled by a centralized server inside/outside your house.

Sorry for the mistakes I was using voice dictation from the earlier message.
post #252 of 1184 Old 03-14-2018, 07:41 PM

Most all of these QC issues with both Denon and Onkyo are heat related.
Everyone just needs to install active cooling and keep these things out of overheating cabinets.

The issue with the Denons is they cost double for the same power. Some of the low-end and mid-end Denons also have high failure rates and bad HDMI ports.
The Onkyos run cooler at a higher wattage. The Yamahas seem like they are the most reliable, but they are just as expensive (if not more so) than Denon for what you get.

This receiver wins bang-for-buck as far as power goes, it's not even close.
To get the equivalent wattage, you have to go up to at least the Denon avr-x3300w ($600).
And even then, my bets are this Onkyo would still handle hungry speakers as good or better than that Denon.

I am considering the AVR-x3300w from Denon, but it's not without its issues.

This Onkyo works flawlessly and has VERY few early failures reported on review sites, but I agree the default sound isn't quite as good as the Denon.
I felt no need to tune the Denon avr-s920w with the EQ at all, it was perfect OOTB.
That said, it was seriously lacking power, and I burned it up trying to run my power hungry speakers (which the Onkyo runs with ease).

You can get some of the muddiness out of the sound by changing the crossover settings and dumping some of the BASS, and using the TONE as well.
I didn't have as much luck trying to EQ it out with the Equalizer, but YMMV.

This Onkyo sounds pretty good once you get it 'tuned in', it's just a freaking pain as I do not think you can really calibrate it with equipment only, you need to use your ears because there is some odd harmonic resonance at certain points (for lack of a better word). It's this whispy sustain / resonance at the end of certain frequencies that makes the difference between the Onkyo and Denon, but you can tune most of it out without too many side effects, you just have to keep trying.

Last edited by coderguy; 03-14-2018 at 07:48 PM.
post #253 of 1184 Old 03-18-2018, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Maybe I haven't noticed, but is there a light (symbol) that shows on the front panel to indicate when ATMOS or DTS:X is being processed? I do see a tiny red light that shows either the dolby symbol and a tiny dts. My other Onkyo had a bright blue light when ATMOS played.

Last edited by m3incorp; 03-18-2018 at 09:16 AM.
post #254 of 1184 Old 03-18-2018, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3incorp View Post
Maybe I haven't noticed, but is there a light (symbol) that shows on the front panel to indicate when ATMOS or DTS:X is being processed? I do see a tiny red light that shows either the dolby symbol and a tiny dts. My other Onkyo had a bright blue light when ATMOS played.
Yes I also liked the indications better on my old Onkyo, now I have to press info several times (why not Only one?) to check right sound track is played.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
post #255 of 1184 Old 03-18-2018, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 391
I was at a local big-box store that had a wall of the usual Denon/Marantz/Yamaha/Onkyo stuff set up along with some higher-end Arcam pieces. I was there eyeing the 676 and one thing that was really noticeable was how much cooler the Onkyos were, even in standby, than the Denon and Marantz AVRs. The Onkyos were barely warm while the D&M stuff was as hot as my SR607 gets during actual use; the Arcam was basically room temp.

Maybe the Onkyos really heat up when actually being used but the difference was very striking.
post #256 of 1184 Old 03-18-2018, 04:59 PM

I was disappointed in the performance until i learned about intellvolume now it will rock hard. Can any one recommend some good back surround speakers that can be wall hung for about 150.00 max for the pair?

Last edited by omston; 03-18-2018 at 05:04 PM.
post #257 of 1184 Old 03-18-2018, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
I was disappointed in the performance until i learned about intellvolume now it will rock hard. Can any one recommend some good back surround speakers that can be wall hung for about 150.00 max for the pair?
Somewhat above budget,but you might wanna check Elac Debut B4.2 when it’s available.
post #258 of 1184 Old 03-19-2018, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Finally upgraded my Onkyo 806 to a 676 so that I can watch 4K content. They've really changed the UI on this, made it more straightforward, though I kinda miss how "technical" it was before. lol

No real complaints so far, but still in the early stages. Yes, not used to having the volume in the current format (was it called absolute when you had 0 as reference?). I also miss seeing the codec show up in the front panel. Now, I have to click on the info button to see it for a brief moment.

Oh, I do keep getting that "Accept / Do Not Accept" screen everytime I turn the unit on. I keep selecting Do Not Accept, but hope there's a way to make it stop appearing.

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
post #259 of 1184 Old 03-19-2018, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Click Accept and it will go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
Finally upgraded my Onkyo 806 to a 676 so that I can watch 4K content. They've really changed the UI on this, made it more straightforward, though I kinda miss how "technical" it was before. lol

No real complaints so far, but still in the early stages. Yes, not used to having the volume in the current format (was it called absolute when you had 0 as reference?). I also miss seeing the codec show up in the front panel. Now, I have to click on the info button to see it for a brief moment.

Oh, I do keep getting that "Accept / Do Not Accept" screen everytime I turn the unit on. I keep selecting Do Not Accept, but hope there's a way to make it stop appearing.
post #260 of 1184 Old 03-19-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Click Accept and it will go away
lol it's one of my ocd issues, sending info somewhere for someone to collect.

post #261 of 1184 Old 03-19-2018, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

I know the feeling. I'm sure my cell phone is already providing more than enough information to overwhelm for awhile, so don't really think the receiver can send much more that would be new information

Quote:
lol it's one of my ocd issues, sending info somewhere for someone to collect.
post #262 of 1184 Old 03-19-2018, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know the feeling. I'm sure my cell phone is already providing more than enough information to overwhelm for awhile, so don't really think the receiver can send much more that would be new information
Yep, agreed, and I'm sure I'll eventually hit Accept (even accidentally ). It's pretty crazy though that they don't (at least nothing obvious) give you a choice in the matter. You already paid for the receiver, but now it's like "we'll make it 'ad-free' if you let us collect info from your habits and usage." Pretty crazy!

post #263 of 1184 Old 03-19-2018, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question about Zone 2

Can I use the Onkyo Android remote app. and control the receiver on my back patio using Zone 2? I have all my music on my PC and streamed it to my 609 before it died. (unfortunately the hdmi board failed for a 2nd time) which is the reason I bought this receiver. I assume the receiver has a wireless router inside, so as long as I'm not too far away I should be able to access my music from the DLNA server and control it with the app right?

Has anyone done this before? This alone would be worth the upgrade for me.
post #264 of 1184 Old 03-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Yep, agreed, and I'm sure I'll eventually hit Accept (even accidentally ). It's pretty crazy though that they don't (at least nothing obvious) give you a choice in the matter. You already paid for the receiver, but now it's like "we'll make it 'ad-free' if you let us collect info from your habits and usage." Pretty crazy!
Can you hit accept and just leave it disconnected from the internet? I didn't think about some kind of user agreement for a friggin' AVR... maybe I'm not as itchy to upgrade as I thought.
post #265 of 1184 Old 03-19-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Can you hit accept and just leave it disconnected from the internet? I didn't think about some kind of user agreement for a friggin' AVR... maybe I'm not as itchy to upgrade as I thought.
I've not tried, since I did connect right away when I got the unit. I do want to receive firmware updates regularly and maybe even use the built-in chromecast at some point. So, I'm not planning on keeping the Wi-Fi disconnected.

Just crazy to even require that or not have an easy way to turn it off.

post #266 of 1184 Old 03-19-2018, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Depending how smart your router is, I configured mine to block all external traffic from the AVR except the spotify domain, that way no tracking can be done. I just switch it off for a short time when checking for firmware updates.

you should be able to unblock other net services depending on your needs...
KSpan likes this.
post #267 of 1184 Old 03-19-2018, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well I feel pretty stupid. I went to the Onkyo website to get more information on the app. Seems it's been out for a while and I probably could have used it with my 609! Guess I'm a little slow when it comes to phone apps.
post #268 of 1184 Old 03-19-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
That's what i did i can get my music from other app sources. What's up with that slight echo effect i'm detecting from my center channel?
post #269 of 1184 Old 03-19-2018, 05:42 PM

Has any one actually taken the time to tune the speakers with the eq? I don't get it does it start with the first band you select or are they all active?
post #270 of 1184 Old 03-19-2018, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I've owned the Onkyo 676 for just over 3 months now, and I can say this AVR is top notch, I've only owned Yamaha before hand but features of the 676 and quality of build is very impressive considering the price.

Heat output is quite low, but I've covered the top grill with a fine fly-screen mesh to prevent dust build up, and laid a USB powered PC case fan on top pulling heat away from the unit. (note: if you wanna try this, dont use the AVR's usb port to power the fan, you'll get EMF noise bleeding through to your speakers, use a separate phone charger instead)

I've also hacked up raspberry Pi to the AVR and configured it to work as an alarm system on the 2nd Zone when unknown mobile phones come within proximity of my house. I cant post links on the forum right now being such a new member, but you can click my avatar to find the post.

Will post some photos of my DIY atmos system later on in anyone's interested.

Cheers
610 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
7.1 , 7.1 setup , dolby atmos , Onkyo , receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page