AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   The Official Onkyo 2017 TX-NR575 and TX-NR676 Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2831561-official-onkyo-2017-tx-nr575-tx-nr676-thread.html)

adcustom 05-02-2017 07:53 AM

The Official Onkyo 2017 TX-NR575 and TX-NR676 Thread
 
Hey all. Just unboxed my new TX-NR676 and plan to set it up tonight. So I figured I'd start an "official owner's thread."

New this year is Chromecast built-in and DTS Play-Fi and Dolby Vision support coming via firmware update.

TX-NR575 Details on Onkyo's Site

TX-NR676 Details on Onkyo's Site

I'll post impressions later. FWIW, I'm moving from a 474 to this.

DustoMan 05-02-2017 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adcustom (Post 52683817)
Hey all. Just unboxed my new TX-NR676 and plan to set it up tonight. So I figured I'd start an "official owner's thread."

New this year is Chromecast built-in and DTS Play-Fi and Dolby Vision support coming via firmware update.

TX-NR575 Details on Onkyo's Site

TX-NR676 Details on Onkyo's Site

I'll post impressions later. FWIW, I'm moving from a 474 to this.

I ordered a 676 off Jet.com last night. Hopefully, will have it by the weekend to set up. I can't wait! First new Onkyo in 10 years, I'm due for an upgrade. Just wanted to add that there's an update already that adds the Chromecast and Fireconnect support on Onkyo's website. Nice to see the updates coming in fast and furious for these receivers.

adcustom 05-02-2017 09:27 AM

Nice, man! I ordered mine from abt with a $25 welcome coupon. Very pleased with the price on this especially since the MSRP was $649.

jvolkman 05-02-2017 11:15 PM

I ordered one today from Amazon; should arrive Thursday. In deciding between the 676, the new Denon AVR-S930H, or waiting for the new Yamaha, the Chromecast integration ultimately sold me on the Onkyo. I use my Google Home to play music quite often. Hope it works well.

I'm moving to this from an old TX-NR809.

adcustom 05-03-2017 10:03 AM

So far I'm digging the 676. The new UI and remote are both very nice. AccuEQ is still only "OK." Arc is working well and the Google Home/Chromecast support pairs very nicely with my Home device. Though it does take shockingly long (5-8 seconds) to connect after saying "OK, Google...play such and such on Receiver." But once it connects, it's solid. One other random thing...the volume knob is obnoxiously large. Like twice the size of the one on my 747. Don't know what Onkyo was thinking from a design standpoint. It looks pretty silly.

justinTlME 05-07-2017 01:18 PM

Hey guys,

So I just got my new Onkyo NR-676 as well. I am not an audio genius by any means, but I know the basics. I got this receiver because I got a new 4K TV and my old receiver was a little outdated and I wasn't gonna get HDR, etc.

I am coming from a Pioneer VSX-1123k. I loved that receiver, and I found it really easy to get good audio. I always set my Xbox one and PS4 to Linear PCM lossless audio, and the pioneer would receive the signals and output as needed (Dolby TrueHD, DTS master, etc)

With the new receiver I am not getting those audio formats as easily. What's the best way for me to set it all up?

When I set the Onkyo to PCM, nearly everything I push through just says "Dolby Surround 5.1, 48khz etc". Nothing sounds HORRIBLE, but I can't decide if my Pioneer sounded better. Obviously this Onkyo delivers on the 4K and HDR support, the video quality is stunning, but I'm just having a hard time adjusting to the changes to how audio is treated. The manual says to set my devices to bitstream, but I thought that was a worse option?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

darylzero46 05-07-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adcustom (Post 52683817)
Hey all. Just unboxed my new TX-NR676 and plan to set it up tonight. So I figured I'd start an "official owner's thread."

New this year is Chromecast built-in and DTS Play-Fi and Dolby Vision support coming via firmware update.

TX-NR575 Details on Onkyo's Site

TX-NR676 Details on Onkyo's Site

I'll post impressions later. FWIW, I'm moving from a 474 to this.

I wanted to ask why you choose the NR676 over the TX-RZ610?

I'm looking at both of those now.

Thanks

adcustom 05-07-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darylzero46 (Post 52812625)
I wanted to ask why you choose the NR676 over the TX-RZ610?

I'm looking at both of those now.

Thanks

Google Chromecast support, Dolby Vision support, certified 4 Ohms performance, and it's shorter (fits in my TV stand better).

darylzero46 05-07-2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adcustom (Post 52812705)
Google Chromecast support, Dolby Vision support, certified 4 Ohms performance, and it's shorter (fits in my TV stand better).

ok thanks,

fyi the TZ-RZ610 now has Chromecast support via firmware upgrade.

forgive my ignorance, but what does certified 4 Ohms performance mean?

adcustom 05-07-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darylzero46 (Post 52814449)
ok thanks,

fyi the TZ-RZ610 now has Chromecast support via firmware upgrade.

forgive my ignorance, but what does certified 4 Ohms performance mean?

Not sure if it means much of anything, honestly. But all of my MartinLogan speakers are rated at 4 Ohms so I guess it gives me some semblance of comfort knowing the 676 is designed for 4 Ohms speaker use. I'm sure the 610 would work just fine, but for whatever reason Onkyo "certified" the 676. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

justinTlME 05-07-2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adcustom (Post 52814889)
Not sure if it means much of anything, honestly. But all of my MartinLogan speakers are rated at 4 Ohms so I guess it gives me some semblance of comfort knowing the 676 is designed for 4 Ohms speaker use. I'm sure the 610 would work just fine, but for whatever reason Onkyo "certified" the 676. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

676 supports Dolby Vision and the 610 doesn't. That's important nowadays, so it might be a reason why.

adcustom 05-07-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinTlME (Post 52816921)
676 supports Dolby Vision and the 610 doesn't. That's important nowadays, so it might be a reason why.

Dolby Vision is an HDR format and wouldn't have anything to do with 4 Ohms performance. I don't know if I'm misreading what you are saying though.

justinTlME 05-07-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adcustom (Post 52817201)
Dolby Vision is an HDR format and wouldn't have anything to do with 4 Ohms performance. I don't know if I'm misreading what you are saying though.

Yeah I know, I'm just saying that's why it's their new darling they are gonna sit behind as the favorite. Dolby Vision support is big. Can't find many other receivers that have it right now.

adcustom 05-08-2017 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinTlME (Post 52818305)
Yeah I know, I'm just saying that's why it's their new darling they are gonna sit behind as the favorite. Dolby Vision support is big. Can't find many other receivers that have it right now.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, the simple fact that the 676 is a year newer was important to me. Might not make a huge difference right now, but it'll be supported longer with firmware updates than something from 2016. Maybe next year there is a major new addition (like Chromecast was this year) that 2017 models will get added in an update but models from previous years won't.

DustoMan 05-08-2017 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinTlME (Post 52809953)
Hey guys,
When I set the Onkyo to PCM, nearly everything I push through just says "Dolby Surround 5.1, 48khz etc". Nothing sounds HORRIBLE, but I can't decide if my Pioneer sounded better. Obviously this Onkyo delivers on the 4K and HDR support, the video quality is stunning, but I'm just having a hard time adjusting to the changes to how audio is treated. The manual says to set my devices to bitstream, but I thought that was a worse option?

So I think what you are referring too are the "Listening Modes" that you select from using the Movie/TV, Game, and Music buttons on the bottom of the remote. You can find out more about them in the "Advanced Manual" online here. I haven' had much time to play with them. I have my Xbox One currently set to "PCM Uncompressed 5.1" since I only have 5.1 speakers. And then I have the Output set on the Onkyo set to DTS Neural:X instead of the default Dolby Surround. But I really haven't noticed much of a difference either. I haven't done my AcuEQ calibration yet so it may make more of a difference then. Oh and the other thing you want to set on your Xbox One is to enable bitstream audio under the blu-ray options so that your Dolby Atmos sound gets sent in that format instead of PCM like the Game/HDMI input audio does. I haven't had time to try my PS4 Pro yet so I'll have to let you know about that device later. But I'm assuming setting it to bitstream is what you want.

justinTlME 05-08-2017 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustoMan (Post 52822129)
So I think what you are referring too are the "Listening Modes" that you select from using the Movie/TV, Game, and Music buttons on the bottom of the remote. You can find out more about them in the "Advanced manual "]online here. I haven' had much time to play with them. I have my Xbox One currently set to "PCM Uncompressed 5.1" since I only have 5.1 speakers. And then I have the Output set on the Onkyo set to DTS Neural:X instead of the default Dolby Surround. But I really haven't noticed much of a difference either. I haven't done my AcuEQ calibration yet so it may make more of a difference then. Oh and the other thing you want to set on your Xbox One is to enable bitstream audio under the blu-ray options so that your Dolby Atmos sound gets sent in that format instead of PCM like the Game/HDMI input audio does. I haven't had time to try my PS4 Pro yet so I'll have to let you know about that device later. But I'm assuming setting it to bitstream is what you want.

Yeah, the listening modes are confusing me more than I thought. I looked at the enhanced manual, but I guess it just confused my previous understanding of the formats.

I always thought that the best audio was when you set everything to PCM, because it was the only way to get uncompressed audio. I thought bitstream meant it was taking uncompressed audio and converting it into something else.

I will need to keep playing with things, but if you keep exploring your options, please let me know too. My main hookups in my room are, 4K fire TV, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, and Nintendo Switch.

Thanks!

jvolkman 05-08-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinTlME (Post 52823105)
I always thought that the best audio was when you set everything to PCM, because it was the only way to get uncompressed audio. I thought bitstream meant it was taking uncompressed audio and converting it into something else.

I'm pretty sure that "bitstream" just means the device sends the source encoded track to the AVR for decoding, rather than doing the decoding itself. DD, DTS, etc. are all encoded (lossless or not) and either the device or the AVR have to decode prior to output. I don't think devices ship with encoding hardware that would encode already uncompressed audio just to send it down the wire to be decoded again, but I could be wrong.

adcustom 05-10-2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvolkman (Post 52826049)
I'm pretty sure that "bitstream" just means the device sends the source encoded track to the AVR for decoding, rather than doing the decoding itself. DD, DTS, etc. are all encoded (lossless or not) and either the device or the AVR have to decode prior to output. I don't think devices ship with encoding hardware that would encode already uncompressed audio just to send it down the wire to be decoded again, but I could be wrong.

I think you're partially right. But what about video games that aren't encoded originally in a format like DD or DTS? Wouldn't it make sense for the Xbox One, PS4, etc to stay at lossless?

farfromuman 05-12-2017 06:26 AM

Since this has dual DACs can you have Zone 1 on HDMI input and use Google Cast on Zone 2 at the same time? Can Google Cast be put in a speaker group and can you change the audio fields/EQ on the receiver when using it as an input?

Also based on the TX-NR555/656 Google Cast feature when I see them putting "feature ******* coming via firmware update" in the specs it means it could take them a year.

jvolkman 05-12-2017 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farfromuman (Post 52924913)
Since this has dual DACs can you have Zone 1 on HDMI input and use Google Cast on Zone 2 at the same time? Can Google Cast be put in a speaker group and can you change the audio fields/EQ on the receiver when using it as an input?

Also based on the TX-NR555/656 Google Cast feature when I see them putting "feature ******* coming via firmware update" in the specs it means it could take them a year.

Not sure about Chromecast with zones, but the feature is already part of the latest firmware release.

justinTlME 05-17-2017 06:55 PM

I hate having volume as a 1-99 thing. Is there any way to turn it into decibels?

justinTlME 05-18-2017 07:08 AM

Also, has anyone experienced random clicks from the receiver? I can't figure out why. It's not like I'm changing inputs, or even a source. It can happen mid movie etc. just worried........

justinTlME 05-19-2017 04:19 AM

I think the Onkyo is going back and I'm getting a Denon instead. I keep getting clicks and I've had many issues with blackouts where I don't think it makes sense to be having them.

DustoMan 05-19-2017 06:07 AM

I think I've heard the random clicks but it might happen once every couple days I just didn't pay them any mind. Because it didn't seem to be happening when there was a format or input change. I also couldn't find a way to change how the volume is displayed.

justinTlME 05-19-2017 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustoMan (Post 53080626)
I think I've heard the random clicks but it might happen once every couple days I just didn't pay them any mind. Because it didn't seem to be happening when there was a format or input change. I also couldn't find a way to change how the volume is displayed.

That is precisely why I was worried about the clicks. I would expect them to happen during format or input change.... Not in the middle of a 4K bluray, or playing a game.

jvolkman 05-20-2017 09:15 AM

I also hear the click. It sounds like a mechanical relay and seems to happen fairly predictably after I've had the unit tuned to an input for a while. Given that it seems to be a common behavior, I'm not too concerned. I assume it can/will be tweaked in a future update.

justinTlME 05-20-2017 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvolkman (Post 53106282)
I also hear the click. It sounds like a mechanical relay and seems to happen fairly predictably after I've had the unit tuned to an input for a while. Given that it seems to be a common behavior, I'm not too concerned. I assume it can/will be tweaked in a future update.

I didn't want to take the chance on it being a lemon or an issue with these new units. I returned it and went with a Denon. In my opinion the sound is much superior. I'm very happy with the exchange.

Pismo Dick 05-25-2017 09:56 PM

I'm thinking it's time to replace my old TX-SR705 with a TX-NR676. Anyone have a link to the "Advanced Manual"?

Thanks.

DustoMan 05-26-2017 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pismo Dick (Post 53229058)
I'm thinking it's time to replace my old TX-SR705 with a TX-NR676. Anyone have a link to the "Advanced Manual"?

Here it is:
www.onkyo.com/manual/txnr676/adv/en/index.html

Pismo Dick 05-26-2017 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustoMan (Post 53233298)

Thanks Dusto


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.