Yamaha RX-A3070 / A2070 / A1070 Aventage Owners' Thread - Page 153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16310Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4561 of 5042 Old 02-23-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wjboshart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,239
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Yamaha RX-A3070 / A2070 / A1070 Aventage Owners' Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcovo View Post
Hi,



Hopefully this is posted in the right place as I couldn't find any other threads which seemed appropriate.



I've just stepped up to an RX-A2070 from a 7ch Pioneer so I can use 5.1.4 (have had the 5.1.4 speakers since I had the Pioneer but could obviously not use the rear presence speakers, hence the 2070 purchase).



Even though this may sound a total newbie question I have set my previous receivers up myself, but unfortunately I now have MND (motor neurone disease) so have very limited/poor mobility and worst of all no speech, so all I can do is sit in my chair and hope the people setting it up for me know what they are doing. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out that way.......... The 2070 itself is now far too heavy for me to lift or turn even if I could get up from on my knees, something I can no longer manage.



My wife initially swapped all the leads from the 7.2 Pioneer to the 9.2 Yamaha without connecting the extra 2 (we never had wires to the rear presence top speakers). That was the limit of her patience so today a mate who said he enjoyed doing that stuff came around to help, including running wires from the amp to the rear presence speakers. Unfortunately I soon found out that even though on some things he has a lot of knowledge, when it comes to this stuff he didn't have any idea what 5.1.2 and 5.1.4 meant, so surround back and presence speakers was a whole new concept to him.............



He was working from the Quick Start Guide which came with the unit, in particular working from page 9 which shows connections but looking at it now I can see it doesn't show connections for 5.1.4.



The front L/R, centre, front presence L/R and subby are all working fine when tested on the speaker test (and on my Atmos demo Blu Ray) but the rears are not correct so I suspect they are connected to the wrong terminals.



Using the attached pic for reference, would someone be able to tell me the correct terminals for the 4 back speakers? My guess now is the bottom terminals on the speakers should go to the Surround Back terminals on the amp (terminals 3 and 4 counting from left) and the top terminals on the rear speakers (presence terminals) should go to the next 2 to the right (the ones which say SPEAKERS EXTRA SP2 R.PRESENCE).



Is that correct or am I a numpty too? That would seem pretty obvious to me now but before I have to ask someone else to come in and swap wires again I'd like to know for sure.



Many thanks in advance!



Gary


Did you run the calibration setup to detect speaker connections? Otherwise manually I believe you have to change a setting in the menu to allow for both front and rear presence speakers



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wjboshart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4562 of 5042 Old 02-23-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,431
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8522
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcovo View Post
Hi,

Hopefully this is posted in the right place as I couldn't find any other threads which seemed appropriate.

I've just stepped up to an RX-A2070 from a 7ch Pioneer so I can use 5.1.4 (have had the 5.1.4 speakers since I had the Pioneer but could obviously not use the rear presence speakers, hence the 2070 purchase).

Even though this may sound a total newbie question I have set my previous receivers up myself, but unfortunately I now have MND (motor neurone disease) so have very limited/poor mobility and worst of all no speech, so all I can do is sit in my chair and hope the people setting it up for me know what they are doing. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out that way.......... The 2070 itself is now far too heavy for me to lift or turn even if I could get up from on my knees, something I can no longer manage.

My wife initially swapped all the leads from the 7.2 Pioneer to the 9.2 Yamaha without connecting the extra 2 (we never had wires to the rear presence top speakers). That was the limit of her patience so today a mate who said he enjoyed doing that stuff came around to help, including running wires from the amp to the rear presence speakers. Unfortunately I soon found out that even though on some things he has a lot of knowledge, when it comes to this stuff he didn't have any idea what 5.1.2 and 5.1.4 meant, so surround back and presence speakers was a whole new concept to him.............

He was working from the Quick Start Guide which came with the unit, in particular working from page 9 which shows connections but looking at it now I can see it doesn't show connections for 5.1.4.

The front L/R, centre, front presence L/R and subby are all working fine when tested on the speaker test (and on my Atmos demo Blu Ray) but the rears are not correct so I suspect they are connected to the wrong terminals.

Using the attached pic for reference, would someone be able to tell me the correct terminals for the 4 back speakers? My guess now is the bottom terminals on the speakers should go to the Surround Back terminals on the amp (terminals 3 and 4 counting from left) and the top terminals on the rear speakers (presence terminals) should go to the next 2 to the right (the ones which say SPEAKERS EXTRA SP2 R.PRESENCE).

Is that correct or am I a numpty too? That would seem pretty obvious to me now but before I have to ask someone else to come in and swap wires again I'd like to know for sure.

Many thanks in advance!

Gary
There are no "Surround Back" speakers in a 5.1.4 setup.
Only a 7.1.4 configuration adds rear surrounds (ala RX-A3070*)

Your Surround (Side speakers) should be placed Left and Right but slightly behind your MLP (as in a 5.1 system)
The Front Presence (Ex.Sp1) and Rear Presence (Ex.Sp2) speaker jacks are used for the Height speakers , Two Front and Two Rear near or in the ceiling.

5.1.4 = 5 ear level speakers, 1 sub, 4 overhead
7.1.4 = 7 ear level speakers, 1 sub, 4 overhead



You can certainly wire surround back speakers to the terminals for 7.1, but you cant play the surround back and rear presence at the same time
The 2070 has only 9 channel processing capability so you have to pick between 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 in the amp assignment menu (5+4=9) (7+2=9)

7.1.2 would be 7 ear level speakers (with surround backs)
and only 2 overhead speakers (usually place dead center over the MLP or slightly forward)

*If you want 7 ear level speakers and 4 overheads, that requires a step up to an RX-A3070
11 channel processor (7+4=11), but only 9 internal amps require that you add at least 2 channels from an external amp.

rlb and mavericks64 like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 02-23-2019 at 04:02 PM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #4563 of 5042 Old 02-23-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wjboshart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,239
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
There are no "Surround Back" speakers in a 5.1.4 setup.

Only a 7.1.4 configuration adds rear surrounds (ala RX-A3070*)



Your Surround (Side speakers) should be placed Left and Right but slightly behind your MLP (as in a 5.1 system)

The Front (Ex.Sp1) and Rear Presence (Ex.Sp2) speaker jacks are used for the Height speakers , Two Front and Two Rear near or in the ceiling.



5.1.4 = 5 ear level speakers, 1 sub, 4 overhead

7.1.4 = 7 ear level speakers, 1 sub, 4 overhead







You can certainly wire surround back speakers to the terminals for 7.1, but you cant play the surround back and rear presence at the same time

The 2070 has only 9 channel processing capability so you have to pick between 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 in the amp assignment menu (5+4=9) (7+2=9)



7.1.2 would be 7 ear level speakers (with surround backs)

and only 2 overhead speakers (usually place dead center over the MLP or slightly forward)



*If you want 7 ear level speakers and 4 overheads, that requires a step up to an RX-A3070

11 channel processor (7+4=11), but only 9 internal amps require that you add at least 2 channels from an external amp.





I think he had a 7.2 receiver, but had a setup that was 5.1.2 and that he just didn't have inputs for the rear presence. Hence the upgrade so he could utilize the rear presence


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wjboshart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4564 of 5042 Old 02-23-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,431
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8522
Read the post again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcovo View Post
Hi,

Using the attached pic for reference, would someone be able to tell me the correct terminals for the 4 back speakers?
Hence my reply that there are no Back Speakers in a 5.1.4 setup.

My guess is that someone wired the Rear Presence Speakers to the Back Surround terminals on the AVR,
Which would produce a 7.1.2 configuration, the simple fix is to move the speaker wires to the appropriate Ex.Sp Rear presence terminals,
then make sure the correct amp assignment is chosen in the setup menu, run YPAO and the test tones will sound in the correct configuration.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #4565 of 5042 Old 02-23-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wjboshart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,239
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Yamaha RX-A3070 / A2070 / A1070 Aventage Owners' Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Read the post again...







Hence my reply that there are no Back Speakers in a 5.1.4 setup.



My guess is that someone wired the Rear Presence Speakers to the Back Surround terminals on the AVR,

Which would produce a 7.1.2 configuration, the simple fix is to move the speaker wires to the appropriate Ex.Sp Rear presence terminals,

then make sure the correct amp assignment is chosen in the setup menu, run YPAO and the test tones will sound in the correct configuration.


I was gathering from one of the first paragraphs where he said he had a 5.1.4 speaker setup with the pioneer he just didn't have the rear presence speakers hooked up. I guess we'll find out his actual situation when he responds.

*corrected I was rereading my manual that mentioned the 11 channel is the only way to get the 7.1.4


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Wjboshart; 02-23-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Wjboshart is offline  
post #4566 of 5042 Old 02-24-2019, 06:33 AM
Member
 
shareknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello to yamaha rx-ax070 family.

I was looking to purchase either the yamaha rx-a2070 or the rx-a3070.

My local dealer of Yamaha Recievers, recently acquired the denon and marantz dealership also. He gave me the option of denon 4500 and marantz 6013 this time.

I never owned any other reciever brand ever and have little to no experience with other brands. So never researched in detail the pros and cons of others.

I request all members to please share their decision making points/reasons why they chose yamaha rx-ax070 over the others.

Plz help.

Thanks in advance.
shareknow is offline  
post #4567 of 5042 Old 02-24-2019, 06:43 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thank you all for your replies. Just to clarify my Pioneer receiver was a 7.2 channel and i had a set of 9 Atmos speakers, plus sub. Front L&R, centre, rear L&R, front L&R presence all connected and working fine. Also rear L&R presence speakers, obviously not connected.

Atmos movies were awesome on it (to my untrained ears anyway) so I wanted to upgrade to a quality 9.2 receiver capable of not only Atmos but DTS:X as well. The RX-A2070 was the perfect solution within my limited budget.

I finally found what I was after - the method for connecting the speakers to achieve the setup I desire. See attached diagram.

I'm guessing that my mate didn't try that particular combination in all his cursing and swearing. LMAO

Hopefully once I can get someone back to change it for me it will all work perfectly!

Thanks again,
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190225_003638_1551015797841.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	2530288  
gcovo is offline  
post #4568 of 5042 Old 02-27-2019, 03:44 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
All good now thanks! 👍👍👍
gcovo is offline  
post #4569 of 5042 Old 02-27-2019, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
purplerain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Question Network setup

I'm getting the 3070 today. I do not care about using the wireless or wired network connection. I have no need for it. Can I skip that part for my initial setup? Thank you

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY*
*TV: Sony XBR65Z9D* - *BD Player: Pioneer UDP-LX 500* - *AVR: Yamaha RX-A3070* - *Audio System: (2) Funk Audio 6.1P’s towers - (2) Funk Audio 3.4D’s surrounds - (1) Funk 18.0C sub*
purplerain is offline  
post #4570 of 5042 Old 02-27-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
StevenC56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,489
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post
I'm getting the 3070 today. I do not care about using the wireless or wired network connection. I have no need for it. Can I skip that part for my initial setup? Thank you
You never plan on applying firmware updates?

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
StevenC56 is offline  
post #4571 of 5042 Old 02-27-2019, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
purplerain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
You never plan on applying firmware updates?
So I just need to connect my ethernet cable to the back of my AVR and go to updates? Thanks

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY*
*TV: Sony XBR65Z9D* - *BD Player: Pioneer UDP-LX 500* - *AVR: Yamaha RX-A3070* - *Audio System: (2) Funk Audio 6.1P’s towers - (2) Funk Audio 3.4D’s surrounds - (1) Funk 18.0C sub*
purplerain is offline  
post #4572 of 5042 Old 02-27-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
StevenC56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,489
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post
So I just need to connect my ethernet cable to the back of my AVR and go to updates? Thanks
I suppose. Or temporarily turn on the wireless and do so. Why do you not want to have the 3070 connected to the internet?

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
StevenC56 is offline  
post #4573 of 5042 Old 02-27-2019, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
purplerain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
I suppose. Or temporarily turn on the wireless and do so. Why do you not want to have the 3070 connected to the internet?
I have no use for many of the extras. I will not be using the AVR radio, MusicCast, Bluetooth, napster, etc....

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY*
*TV: Sony XBR65Z9D* - *BD Player: Pioneer UDP-LX 500* - *AVR: Yamaha RX-A3070* - *Audio System: (2) Funk Audio 6.1P’s towers - (2) Funk Audio 3.4D’s surrounds - (1) Funk 18.0C sub*
purplerain is offline  
post #4574 of 5042 Old 02-27-2019, 09:34 PM
Member
 
Kris404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
..Why do you not want to have the 3070 connected to the internet?

One reason/annoyance is the inability to turn off AirPlay service individually overcrowding your play-to menu on iPhones or iPads if you already have a bunch of Apple TVs, HomePods on the network.
Kris404 is offline  
post #4575 of 5042 Old 02-28-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
StevenC56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,489
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris404 View Post
One reason/annoyance is the inability to turn off AirPlay service individually overcrowding your play-to menu on iPhones or iPads if you already have a bunch of Apple TVs, HomePods on the network.
OK. I'm not an Apple guy, but I can understand that being an annoyance.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
StevenC56 is offline  
post #4576 of 5042 Old 02-28-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 4,925
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
FYI: you can update the 3070 firmware via USB.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
ChromeJob is offline  
post #4577 of 5042 Old 03-02-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
merrymaid520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 43
New 1070 owner here. Mine makes an audible buzzing sound when it’s off. Anyone else notice it? I can hear it from a few feet away and it’s comjng from back top of the unit.

The place I bought it from (accessories 4 less) claims it’s normal while Yamaha says it’s not and I should return it.
merrymaid520 is offline  
post #4578 of 5042 Old 03-02-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
StevenC56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,489
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
New 1070 owner here. Mine makes an audible buzzing sound when it’s off. Anyone else notice it? I can hear it from a few feet away and it’s comjng from back top of the unit.

The place I bought it from (accessories 4 less) claims it’s normal while Yamaha says it’s not and I should return it.
Doesn't accessories 4 less only sell refurbs? I would listen to Yamaha and return it. The buzz you are hearing may be exactly why the unit was returned and became a refurb.

I would check out the "slickdeals" website for the RX-V2085 deal that's a little bit more $ than this refurb 1070.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.

Last edited by StevenC56; 03-02-2019 at 11:21 AM.
StevenC56 is offline  
post #4579 of 5042 Old 03-02-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,792
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked: 3135
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
New 1070 owner here. Mine makes an audible buzzing sound when it’s off. Anyone else notice it? I can hear it from a few feet away and it’s comjng from back top of the unit.

The place I bought it from (accessories 4 less) claims it’s normal while Yamaha says it’s not and I should return it.
Seems like this has been reported before, but I'm thinking its related to either network standby or "standby through".
rdgrimes is offline  
post #4580 of 5042 Old 03-02-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
merrymaid520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Seems like this has been reported before, but I'm thinking its related to either network standby or "standby through".
So it is normal behavior? I do have the network standby on!
merrymaid520 is offline  
post #4581 of 5042 Old 03-02-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,792
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked: 3135
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
So it is normal behavior? I do have the network standby on!
I don't think they all do it, or perhaps some folks don't hear it. Does it stop when you turn off network standby?
rdgrimes is offline  
post #4582 of 5042 Old 03-02-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
merrymaid520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I don't think they all do it, or perhaps some folks don't hear it. Does it stop when you turn off network standby?
The sound does change and gets a tiny bit quieter but still audible
merrymaid520 is offline  
post #4583 of 5042 Old 03-02-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 4,925
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Going back to your answer from Yamaha that the buzzing isn't normal, I think returning it as defective would be safe.
whitey019 and mik2h like this.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
ChromeJob is offline  
post #4584 of 5042 Old 03-02-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,792
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked: 3135
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
The sound does change and gets a tiny bit quieter but still audible
Well there's no reason to think it indicates an impending failure. But if it bothers you return it. That is, if you can get an exchange. I wouldn't send it in for service, it'll just come back with the same noise.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #4585 of 5042 Old 03-04-2019, 05:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by shareknow View Post
Hello to yamaha rx-ax070 family.

I was looking to purchase either the yamaha rx-a2070 or the rx-a3070.

My local dealer of Yamaha Recievers, recently acquired the denon and marantz dealership also. He gave me the option of denon 4500 and marantz 6013 this time.

I never owned any other reciever brand ever and have little to no experience with other brands. So never researched in detail the pros and cons of others.

I request all members to please share their decision making points/reasons why they chose yamaha rx-ax070 over the others.

Plz help.

Thanks in advance.
I went with Yamaha because, unlike all of the other receiver brands, they actually make musical instruments, so I figured their auto EQ (YPAO) would be better than most of the others (Anthem receivers cost too much in my opinion). I specifically went with the RX-A2070 because it has all the features I was looking for, and I don't have room for a full 7.1.4 setup so the RX-A3070 wasn't needed, so the 5.1.4 was all I was looking for. I'm very happy with it over 6 months later.
pilot999 and mrfranc like this.
Canadianatlas is online now  
post #4586 of 5042 Old 03-04-2019, 07:06 PM
The Village Idiot
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 9,424
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
New 1070 owner here. Mine makes an audible buzzing sound when it’s off. Anyone else notice it? I can hear it from a few feet away and it’s comjng from back top of the unit.

The place I bought it from (accessories 4 less) claims it’s normal while Yamaha says it’s not and I should return it.

I bought a Denon 4520 from them 4-5 years ago. They tried to tell me that a buzz from HDMI was coming from my TV or computer, anything but from the 4520. I put the AVR it had replaced back in the mix and the buzz went away. They charged me a 15% stocking fee. And sent me a video of the supposed unit I had returned that was playing without a buzz. Yeah, OK. Hard to know if that was even a 4520 playing. And FWIW the analog side worked great, not so good for anything playing via DSP. Morons!



About two years ago I bought a Yamaha RX-685(?) from them for a family member that turned out to be bad, returned it and they wanted the 15% stocking fees again. I refused and made a PP claim, then escalated it to my CC company, and got the entire refund back with return shipping. Their quality checks are non-existent these days IMO. They take damaged goods and rebox it and send it on to the next customer. I would never buy from them again. I had bought from them 10-12 times prior to that without problems. Never used to hear complaints about them, but complaints are more common these days. Too bad they are driving their business into the ditch. They used to be the best place to buy refurbished gear.

Muzishare (KT-88) Int. Amp - Polk LSiM705's - Denon DCD-1500 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC - Linux Powered HTPC ----- (WWG1WGA)
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #4587 of 5042 Old 03-05-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
merrymaid520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
I bought a Denon 4520 from them 4-5 years ago. They tried to tell me that a buzz from HDMI was coming from my TV or computer, anything but from the 4520. I put the AVR it had replaced back in the mix and the buzz went away. They charged me a 15% stocking fee. And sent me a video of the supposed unit I had returned that was playing without a buzz. Yeah, OK. Hard to know if that was even a 4520 playing. And FWIW the analog side worked great, not so good for anything playing via DSP. Morons!



About two years ago I bought a Yamaha RX-685(?) from them for a family member that turned out to be bad, returned it and they wanted the 15% stocking fees again. I refused and made a PP claim, then escalated it to my CC company, and got the entire refund back with return shipping. Their quality checks are non-existent these days IMO. They take damaged goods and rebox it and send it on to the next customer. I would never buy from them again. I had bought from them 10-12 times prior to that without problems. Never used to hear complaints about them, but complaints are more common these days. Too bad they are driving their business into the ditch. They used to be the best place to buy refurbished gear.
Yikes! Got me nervous now. I’ve got a CX-A5100 in order too! On a positive note, they are replacing my 1070 with a different one, no charge! Bought a 3060 a few months ago and it’s flawkess. Hoping mine was a fluke from them.
merrymaid520 is offline  
post #4588 of 5042 Old 03-05-2019, 08:43 AM
Member
 
tom886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 44
New Firmware Update available to v2.65:
Also online for Download: https://au.yamaha.com/en/support/upd..._rx-v3083.html

Code:
This firmware includes 
  1. Stability improvement
Cheers
Tom

Last edited by tom886; 03-06-2019 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Corrected changelog
tom886 is offline  
post #4589 of 5042 Old 03-05-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 4,925
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Yamaha RX-A3070 / A2070 / A1070 Aventage Owners' Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
…About two years ago I bought a Yamaha RX-685(?) from them….
A RX-V685, two years ago? Um…. I suspect not.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
ChromeJob is offline  
post #4590 of 5042 Old 03-05-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bwillcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
Yikes! Got me nervous now. I’ve got a CX-A5100 in order too! On a positive note, they are replacing my 1070 with a different one, no charge! Bought a 3060 a few months ago and it’s flawkess. Hoping mine was a fluke from them.
In my experience, buying previously used, refurbished products (esp complex exectronics) is a crap shoot. I have resolved to never do it for anything that I care about.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
bwillcox is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
7.1 , atc smc11 , extend , firmware update , lg c8 , sony ubp-x800 , Yamaha , yamaha 3070 , yamaha a-s1100 , yamaha rx-a2070 , yamaha rx-a3070

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off