Yamaha RX-A3070 / A2070 / A1070 Aventage Owners' Thread - Page 158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16289Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4711 of 4934 Old 04-13-2019, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
purplerain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Exclamation Problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post
The H24 is a HD only receiver with a straight connection. ESPN, TNT, TBS, CBS, YES seem to happen the most. Again, it's only for a split second when it happens (audio lose). I do not want it to happen at all. It could happen 1-10 (estimate) times in an hour. Some channels are perfect though
Was told to go into my direct receiver and turn off Dolby, which I did and now I run PCM. Audio is perfect now

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY*
*TV: Sony XBR65Z9D* - *BD Player: Pioneer UDP-LX 500* - *AVR: Yamaha RX-A3070* - *Audio System: (2) Funk Audio 6.1P’s towers - (2) Funk Audio 3.4D’s surrounds - (1) Funk 18.0C sub*
purplerain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4712 of 4934 Old 04-13-2019, 06:00 AM
Senior Member
 
ht guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post
Thanks to everyone who has provided guidance on my tests with Dolby Atmos and the 2070. It's clear that the 2070 can do 7.2.2 or 5.2.4, but not 7.2.4. Further, 7.2.2 means using rear surrounds, but Front Presence (atmos) speakers. I'm wondering if any of you could share your opinion about which would give a more robust sound envelopment: 7.2.2 or 5.2.4? My concern is putting the "atmos" speakers in the front, up high. I'm also trying to figure out what to do with my in-wall rear surrounds. A pair of SVS Prime Elevation Speakers should arrive this week, and SVS support recommended that I mount them above the Side Surrounds. Obviously there are a LOT of options, but my wife would prefer that I not drill holes and run wires to 4 or 5 different locations in the room.
In my experience, and using the Amaze ATMOS demo as a test, 5.2.4 is more immersive than 7.2.2.
ht guy is offline  
post #4713 of 4934 Old 04-16-2019, 02:28 AM
Member
 
Kris404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Good news for us x70 users. We're finally getting eARC.


https://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/2..._products.html


Quote:
eARC
Beginning in late April and released by model/series:RX-A 80 Series AV receivers, RX-A 70 Series AV receivers, RX-V 85 Series AV receivers, RX-V 83 Series AV receivers, RX-S602 Slimline AV receiver, TSR-7850 AV receiver, TSR-5830 AV receiver, CX-A5200 AV preamp/processor.
ChromeJob, saenzo, azz7686 and 1 others like this.
Kris404 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4714 of 4934 Old 04-16-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wjboshart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris404 View Post
Good news for us x70 users. We're finally getting eARC.


https://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/2..._products.html


Only if the tvs half of us own can update to get eARC as well


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deckard71 and DavidKirsh like this.
Wjboshart is offline  
post #4715 of 4934 Old 04-16-2019, 07:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Deckard71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Yamaha RX-A3070 / A2070 / A1070 Aventage Owners' Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
Only if the tvs half of us own can update to get eARC as well


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


True, though we will change our TVs sooner than our AVR. Good news

I bought my A2070 and my LG C7 in 2017 (all 7, easy to remember, thanks brands) and I am sure I will upgrade the TV first
mrfranc likes this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Displays: LG 65C7V - Optoma HD20 - Panasonic 50PZ80 - Samsung 32C650 - LG M2380D
Speakers: Focal Aria 948- Focal Aria 906 - Focal CC900 - BK XLS200 MK2 - B&W CCM362
Electronics: Roksan K3 - Yamaha RX-A2070 - Oppo 203 - PS4 Pro
Deckard71 is online now  
post #4716 of 4934 Old 04-16-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wjboshart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard71 View Post
True, though we will change our TVs sooner than our AVR. Good news

I bought my A2070 and my LG C7 in 2017 (all 7, easy to remember, thanks brands) and I am sure I will upgrade the TV first


I would upgrade my tv as well but my wife threatened dismemberment after I upgraded last time


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrfranc and azz7686 like this.
Wjboshart is offline  
post #4717 of 4934 Old 04-17-2019, 06:16 AM
Member
 
rthurlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
RX-A3070 vs. Oticon OPN and TV Adapter

Hi folks,


My wife got new hearing aids yesterday! They are Oticon OPNs, and have Bluetooth capability. Phone calls and music played with her iPhone work really well. I thought great, we can pair her units to the Yamaha and she can set her own volume. Reality said, not so fast!


We can't get the OPNs to pair with the Yamaha. The receiver just doesn't seem to see them. I note that when pairing the units with a phone, it's not via the regular Bluetooth interaction as with a Bluetooth speaker, but via the Accessability menu - implying to me that the hearing aids are using a different Bluetooth profile that the Yamaha may not understand. Does anyone know more about this difference?



Next thing: she got a TV Adapter unit, with an TOSLINK optical digital input and stereo RCA input. My receiver does not have an optical digital output. My receiver has a multichannel preamp output, and I thought connecting the front R/L pair to the unit might work, but apparently it is inactive unless you disable the front R/L speaker outputs. That seems ... unfortunate. My LG OLED TV has a TOSLINK output, but that is inactive unless we are running apps like Netflix or Hulu from the TV itself - nothing coming via the Yamaha shows up there in normal operation with the TV speakers disabled, or even with both speakers and ARC active. Another option is to try to connect via the headphone jack, but I expect that will turn off the speakers. I don't have headphones with a 1/4" jack around to try.


Final thing, and this is truly grasping at straws - I see some boxes on Amazon that can insert into an HDMI stream and emit stereo R/L and a TOSLINK. Some claim to support the Audio Return Channel (ARC) in some form as well. I have one of these on order: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G46T8L5. I guess I will see if I can use this in the main HDMI-ARC path to the TV - there is some concern from reading the comments that I might lose 4K HDR and that the ARC thing may not work well. I may be able to get this into the Zone 2 HDMI stream as well, with some loss of capability when it's in use and with having to switch stuff around when watching via the TV apps.


Has anyone dealt with this kind of thing? Is there a better general category for this question?



Thanks,

Rob T

Rob T
rthurlow is offline  
post #4718 of 4934 Old 04-17-2019, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,771
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3217 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
I would upgrade my tv as well but my wife threatened dismemberment after I upgraded last time
An OLED might be worth it.
Bond 007 is offline  
post #4719 of 4934 Old 04-17-2019, 07:03 AM
Member
 
mrfranc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthurlow View Post
Hi folks,


My wife got new hearing aids yesterday! They are Oticon OPNs, and have Bluetooth capability. Phone calls and music played with her iPhone work really well. I thought great, we can pair her units to the Yamaha and she can set her own volume. Reality said, not so fast!


We can't get the OPNs to pair with the Yamaha. The receiver just doesn't seem to see them. I note that when pairing the units with a phone, it's not via the regular Bluetooth interaction as with a Bluetooth speaker, but via the Accessability menu - implying to me that the hearing aids are using a different Bluetooth profile that the Yamaha may not understand. Does anyone know more about this difference?



Next thing: she got a TV Adapter unit, with an TOSLINK optical digital input and stereo RCA input. My receiver does not have an optical digital output. My receiver has a multichannel preamp output, and I thought connecting the front R/L pair to the unit might work, but apparently it is inactive unless you disable the front R/L speaker outputs. That seems ... unfortunate. My LG OLED TV has a TOSLINK output, but that is inactive unless we are running apps like Netflix or Hulu from the TV itself - nothing coming via the Yamaha shows up there in normal operation with the TV speakers disabled, or even with both speakers and ARC active. Another option is to try to connect via the headphone jack, but I expect that will turn off the speakers. I don't have headphones with a 1/4" jack around to try.


Final thing, and this is truly grasping at straws - I see some boxes on Amazon that can insert into an HDMI stream and emit stereo R/L and a TOSLINK. Some claim to support the Audio Return Channel (ARC) in some form as well. I have one of these on order: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G46T8L5. I guess I will see if I can use this in the main HDMI-ARC path to the TV - there is some concern from reading the comments that I might lose 4K HDR and that the ARC thing may not work well. I may be able to get this into the Zone 2 HDMI stream as well, with some loss of capability when it's in use and with having to switch stuff around when watching via the TV apps.


Has anyone dealt with this kind of thing? Is there a better general category for this question?



Thanks,

Rob T
From the specs this one seems better, since it support HDCP 2.2, needed for HDR.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07D9BNV..._t3_B07G46T8L5
mrfranc is offline  
post #4720 of 4934 Old 04-17-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wjboshart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
An OLED might be worth it.


Oled is what I currently have. I have been able to justify a new oled for the last few years as they kept having issues with quality. C8 is the first "keeper"


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wjboshart is offline  
post #4721 of 4934 Old 04-17-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,771
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3217 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
Oled is what I currently have. I have been able to justify a new oled for the last few years as they kept having issues with quality. C8 is the first "keeper"
Ah..very well. I can imagine how dismemberment might be an option if you wanted to "upgrade" from a C8.
ChromeJob likes this.
Bond 007 is offline  
post #4722 of 4934 Old 04-22-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Philnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I've been a happy RX-A1030 user for a few years and am upgrading to a RX-A3070 once I've finished rebuilding my basement theater (I bought my 3070 last summer and it's still in its unopened box).

One of the things I like about the Aventage receivers is YPAO. In another thread here (about the Oppo BDP-103), I saw it said that the Audessy system (which serves the same purpose as YPAO in many other brands of AVRs) down-samples all sources to 48kHz sampling.

My question is whether YPAO does the same thing. Do any of the Yamah gurus here know?

This may be academic - the study done recently by Mark Waldrep ("Dr. AIX," who makes high quality 96/24 5.1 live recordings), who put up for download stereo versions of his 96/24 recordings and 44/16 (CD quality) down-sampled versions so the public could do AB testing - and almost no one could tell them apart by listening. This was not an outcome he expected, but he didn't shy away from it or suppress it.

So I'll use YPAO regardless, but I am interested in knowing whether YPAO also down-samples the audio in doing room correction the way Audessy does - or whether it's even true that Audessy does.


Last edited by Philnick; 04-22-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Philnick is offline  
post #4723 of 4934 Old 04-22-2019, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Red Five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Audessy and YPAO are both concerned with correcting the room to get as close as possible to a flat response or the desired EQ option. Audessy XT 32 and YPAO with RSC both implement phase filters to adjust speaker response on top of PEQ. The main difference is YPAO does not use those phase filters on the sub channel and Audessy XT 32 does, but they share similarities. The lower end models of receivers usually do less things to correct response, such as no RSC for Yamaha receiver.

The decoding, sampling and processing is more concerned with the model of receiver, not as concerned with Audessy and YPAO. You will notice that the higher end models have better surround decoder modes for upconverting content to match the speaker layout and more DSPs. I cannot recall seeing a receiver that does not allow down conversation of content, from 7.1 to 2 channel as an example. I hope this helps



Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Stormbreaker | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread | B.M.D. (in progress)
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
Red Five is online now  
post #4724 of 4934 Old 04-23-2019, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Philnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
Audessy and YPAO are both concerned with correcting the room to get as close as possible to a flat response or the desired EQ option. Audessy XT 32 and YPAO with RSC both implement phase filters to adjust speaker response on top of PEQ. The main difference is YPAO does not use those phase filters on the sub channel and Audessy XT 32 does, but they share similarities. The lower end models of receivers usually do less things to correct response, such as no RSC for Yamaha receiver.

The decoding, sampling and processing is more concerned with the model of receiver, not as concerned with Audessy and YPAO. You will notice that the higher end models have better surround decoder modes for upconverting content to match the speaker layout and more DSPs. I cannot recall seeing a receiver that does not allow down conversation of content, from 7.1 to 2 channel as an example. I hope this helps
While interesting, your reply does not address my question: Does YPAO force downsampling of all sources to 48kHz sampling as I had heard that Audessy does - and in fact, does Audessy really do that, or was that just an unfounded rumor?

Philnick is offline  
post #4725 of 4934 Old 04-23-2019, 07:15 AM
Senior Member
 
HiRes_PR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
While interesting, your reply does not address my question: Does YPAO force downsampling of all sources to 48kHz sampling as I had heard that Audessy does - and in fact, does Audessy really do that, or was that just an unfounded rumor?


It depends. But in a nutshell, the chips doesn’t have enough processing power to perform room correction, eq and music/movie modes. You’ll need to play your sources in Straight mode. And it’s not 100% guaranteed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HiRes_PR is offline  
post #4726 of 4934 Old 04-23-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bwillcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,294
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
While interesting, your reply does not address my question: Does YPAO force downsampling of all sources to 48kHz sampling as I had heard that Audessy does - and in fact, does Audessy really do that, or was that just an unfounded rumor?
Here's what the Audiohaulics folks say (about the RX-V577, but I expect that it applies to the all the Aventage models as well):

https://www.audioholics.com/av-recei...nd-calibration

"I asked the folks at Yamaha about YPAO and they told me that YPAO EQ passes all signals up to 192/24 with no down-sampling. However, if YPAO and Cinema DSP are used together then signal is indeed down sampled to 96kHz."

So, the simple answer is that unless you are running with Cinema DSP it works with signals up to 192/24 but will down-sample to 96kHz with that enabled.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
bwillcox is offline  
post #4727 of 4934 Old 04-23-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Philnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Here's what the Audiohaulics folks say (about the RX-V577, but I expect that it applies to the all the Aventage models as well):

https://www.audioholics.com/av-recei...nd-calibration

"I asked the folks at Yamaha about YPAO and they told me that YPAO EQ passes all signals up to 192/24 with no down-sampling. However, if YPAO and Cinema DSP are used together then signal is indeed down sampled to 96kHz."

So, the simple answer is that unless you are running with Cinema DSP it works with signals up to 192/24 but will down-sample to 96kHz with that enabled.
That's good news - I never use Cinema DSP anyway, since I don't like what it sounds like. I use the native decoders for Dolby and DTS, will let it convert 5.1 to 7.1, and may experiment with up-sampling to my ceiling speakers once I've finished the rebuild. (The rebuild's higher ceiling is why I went for the 3070 - so I could have the overhead channels.) For stereo material, I tend to use what I call "car stereo" mode (the 1030 called it 7 channel stereo), playing each channel out of all the speakers on that side of the room. It's like sitting inside a giant pair of headphones.

And since I couldn't hear a difference between 96/24 and 44/16 in Dr. AIX's test, I won't notice down-sampling from 192/24 to 96/24.

Philnick is offline  
post #4728 of 4934 Old 04-23-2019, 09:28 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Page 113 in the user manual
OK, I have a Yamaha RX-A1070 ... I AM NOT USING ANY INTERNAL POWER AMPS!

I don't know about the DVD, but playing from HDMI input from a PC running TIDAL, I get an immediate shut down playing several tracks, AT THE SAME SPOT, at any volume greater than +1db, from the Pink Floyd Pulse Album. There are other tracks/albums as well.

I have a fairly huge system, with POWER AMPS. I initially thought my rear speakers (the only ones connected to the receiver, as everything else is connected to RCA outputs), might be over-driving the amp (grasping at straws). So I tried the same passage WITHOUT ZERO SPEAKERS connected - SAME THING! Wow! Everything works great, but anytime the 1070 is set to +2db or more, the damn thing turns off, then comes back on again!

Like I said, I have a pretty big system, and my amps and speakers can easily create hearing-loss volumes. Right now I'm running basically a 5.1 Setup, where my front VMPS FFL-3s are bi-amped with a pair of Emotiva XPA-2 power amps. The Center and Subs are self-powered, with the Rear running an Adcom 545. The Yamaha 1070 will SHUT DOWN even if I pull all the RCA plugs from the pre-out sections and remove any speaker connections!

I have been buying audio since the 70's, and I'm a computer engineer, used to "debugging" stuff, and this has me totally stumped! I bought the Yamaha because my last a/v receiver was an Onkyo. The HDMI chip in the Onkyo went bad, and the a'holes at Onkyo KNEW about the problem and refused to fix mine. No more Onkyo for me!

Does anyone make a defect-free A/V Receiver?

Do I now need to add Yamaha to my "NEVER BUY" list???

Thanks!
lwb78750 is offline  
post #4729 of 4934 Old 04-24-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bwillcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,294
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwb78750 View Post
OK, I have a Yamaha RX-A1070 ... I AM NOT USING ANY INTERNAL POWER AMPS!

I don't know about the DVD, but playing from HDMI input from a PC running TIDAL, I get an immediate shut down playing several tracks, AT THE SAME SPOT, at any volume greater than +1db, from the Pink Floyd Pulse Album. There are other tracks/albums as well.

I have a fairly huge system, with POWER AMPS. I initially thought my rear speakers (the only ones connected to the receiver, as everything else is connected to RCA outputs), might be over-driving the amp (grasping at straws). So I tried the same passage WITHOUT ZERO SPEAKERS connected - SAME THING! Wow! Everything works great, but anytime the 1070 is set to +2db or more, the damn thing turns off, then comes back on again!

Like I said, I have a pretty big system, and my amps and speakers can easily create hearing-loss volumes. Right now I'm running basically a 5.1 Setup, where my front VMPS FFL-3s are bi-amped with a pair of Emotiva XPA-2 power amps. The Center and Subs are self-powered, with the Rear running an Adcom 545. The Yamaha 1070 will SHUT DOWN even if I pull all the RCA plugs from the pre-out sections and remove any speaker connections!

I have been buying audio since the 70's, and I'm a computer engineer, used to "debugging" stuff, and this has me totally stumped! I bought the Yamaha because my last a/v receiver was an Onkyo. The HDMI chip in the Onkyo went bad, and the a'holes at Onkyo KNEW about the problem and refused to fix mine. No more Onkyo for me!

Does anyone make a defect-free A/V Receiver?

Do I now need to add Yamaha to my "NEVER BUY" list???

Thanks!
Well, I can honestly say that none of the probably 20+ Yamaha receivers and preamps that I own or have owned have ever shutdown at high volume settings unless I actually had a short in the speaker wiring. I also have never had my volume level above about -10 on any of my systems. What is your input source? Have you tried this without anything connected to the 1070 (besides the power cord)? There is a Max Volume setting in the receiver that can be set, but I wouldn't expect that exceeding would result in a power down event.

It could simply be that you have a defective unit.
ChromeJob likes this.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
bwillcox is offline  
post #4730 of 4934 Old 04-24-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,193
Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3181 Post(s)
Liked: 7769
^^^^^Ditto (30+ years for me)

You better try a DVD or bluray player to be sure it isn't source related first.
PC's can be finicky, especially connected via HDMI with HDCP issues.
(and many streaming services are notoriously flaky too in my experience)

If the problem is still there, I'm guessing the Gain levels on the external amplifiers are set too low.
...or they are not getting sufficient signal from the pre-outs. Do you have an input voltage selection switch on your amplifiers? (try 1.0v)
if they are expecting a 2.0v signal that may be the issue.

I can't imagine ever needing higher than -10 master volume on the Yamaha
unless your room is the size of an auditorium, your speakers are inefficient, you enjoy higher than reference SPL levels
...or all of the above.

If your experience was standard across the entire Yamaha line,
Then these pages would have a significantly higher ratio of unhappy users.

Yamaha is actually rated the highest in customer satisfaction and lowest in failure rates.
Did you purchase new from an authorized dealer? If so, simply return it for a new one. It's still under warranty.
ChromeJob and Red Five like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 04-24-2019 at 09:29 AM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #4731 of 4934 Old 04-24-2019, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
Red Five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Where did YPAO set the levels for the channels on the external amplifiers? I have had YPAO set a plus 6db EQ boost on the lower end of the L/R which happen to be on an external amplifier. Channel levels were set at +4db for the Left and Right. With these settings trying to drive music at high levels the unit would go into fail safe mode even on 2 channel listening with just the external amp. The two boosts account for an additional 10db strain on the preamp. Solution, turn the amp gains to 2 o' clock. YPAO also gave up the +6db boost once the amp's gain was more generous. The single point measurement when I first setup in the new space would error out each time I tried running the auto setup, due to not being able to find good levels for each channel. However, once a multi-point measurement was done, YPAO was able to sort it all out and I will go deaf before the preamp will put the unit in a fail safe shutdown



As was also stated, if the input device is an HTPC, drivers and other fun things can happen. I have had a driver on the graphics card make the unit shut down when approaching minus -6db on the master volume. Updating the driver fixed that issue.
ChromeJob likes this.

Stormbreaker | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread | B.M.D. (in progress)
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
Red Five is online now  
post #4732 of 4934 Old 04-25-2019, 01:14 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Newbie question here.

I've attempted to scour the owner's manual and can't find an answer.

My A3070 is set up as a 7.1.4 configuration. Yesterday, instead of viewing a movie, I thought for yucks and grins, it might be fun to listen to an old-fashioned CD. No problem except that I could not find a single listening mode that allowed the subwoofer to contribute to the sound.

I assume that's because it is hooked up to the LFE output - is that right?

Or more importantly, is there a way to involve the LFE channel is music playback that doesn't involve not using the LFE output of the receiver?
spooltime is offline  
post #4733 of 4934 Old 04-25-2019, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Red Five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooltime View Post
Newbie question here.

I've attempted to scour the owner's manual and can't find an answer.

My A3070 is set up as a 7.1.4 configuration. Yesterday, instead of viewing a movie, I thought for yucks and grins, it might be fun to listen to an old-fashioned CD. No problem except that I could not find a single listening mode that allowed the subwoofer to contribute to the sound.

I assume that's because it is hooked up to the LFE output - is that right?

Or more importantly, is there a way to involve the LFE channel is music playback that doesn't involve not using the LFE output of the receiver?

If speakers are set to large, they do not send content to the subwoofer
PioManiac likes this.

Stormbreaker | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread | B.M.D. (in progress)
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
Red Five is online now  
post #4734 of 4934 Old 04-25-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,193
Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3181 Post(s)
Liked: 7769
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooltime View Post
Newbie question here.

I've attempted to scour the owner's manual and can't find an answer.

My A3070 is set up as a 7.1.4 configuration. Yesterday, instead of viewing a movie, I thought for yucks and grins, it might be fun to listen to an old-fashioned CD. No problem except that I could not find a single listening mode that allowed the subwoofer to contribute to the sound.

I assume that's because it is hooked up to the LFE output - is that right?

Or more importantly, is there a way to involve the LFE channel is music playback that doesn't involve not using the LFE output of the receiver?
Yamaha's don't have an LFE output, You have Sub-1 and Sub-2
... and both play the .1 LFE channel, and all frequencies below your crossover for speakers set to small.

If running Two sub's, set the output to Monox2 (not Front/Rear)
Sub-2 out set as Rear will not play at all during 2 channel music tracks


ChromeJob likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 04-25-2019 at 01:42 PM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #4735 of 4934 Old 04-25-2019, 01:44 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Yamaha's don't have an LFE output, You have Sub-1 and Sub-2
... and both play the .1 LFE channel, and all frequencies below your crossover for speakers set to small.
Thanks for the replies.

My bad on the terminology. My sub is hooked up to Sub-1 and all of my speakers are set to small. I'll listen again; maybe the CD I was listening to didn't have any content below 80Hz.
spooltime is offline  
post #4736 of 4934 Old 04-25-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,193
Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3181 Post(s)
Liked: 7769
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooltime View Post
Thanks for the replies.

My bad on the terminology. My sub is hooked up to Sub-1 and all of my speakers are set to small. I'll listen again; maybe the CD I was listening to didn't have any content below 80Hz.
Do you have access to Youtube on any devices?
It's all 2.0 audio and there's lots of Bass Heavy songs and Subwoofer test tones



The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 04-25-2019 at 08:29 PM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #4737 of 4934 Old 04-25-2019, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Red Five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooltime View Post
Thanks for the replies.

My bad on the terminology. My sub is hooked up to Sub-1 and all of my speakers are set to small. I'll listen again; maybe the CD I was listening to didn't have any content below 80Hz.

Look up Basstronics - Bass I Love You. If it is getting content, the subwoofer will be jumping

Stormbreaker | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread | B.M.D. (in progress)
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
Red Five is online now  
post #4738 of 4934 Old 04-25-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 4,686
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooltime View Post
Thanks for the replies.



My bad on the terminology. My sub is hooked up to Sub-1 and all of my speakers are set to small. I'll listen again; maybe the CD I was listening to didn't have any content below 80Hz.
Find a dvd (e.g. Star WARS movies) with the THX optimizer. The audio tests include a bass sweep from the front speakers that will drop down to 20 Hz. You'll hear the tone transition to the sub below 80 Hz.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 04-25-2019 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Clarification
ChromeJob is offline  
post #4739 of 4934 Old 04-25-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,193
Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3181 Post(s)
Liked: 7769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Find a dvd (e.g. Star WARS movies) with the THX optimizer. The audio tests include a bass sweep that will drop down to 20 Hz.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
That's not a 2.0 music source.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #4740 of 4934 Old 04-25-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 4,686
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
That's not a 2.0 music source.
Doesn't matter. He's worried that with bass management enabled, nothing was coming from the sub. The THX bass sweep test will play from at least the front speakers and transition to the sub without using the LFE channel. It will clearly show the sub's working, or not.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
ChromeJob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
7.1 , atc smc11 , extend , firmware update , lg c8 , sony ubp-x800 , Yamaha , yamaha 3070 , yamaha a-s1100 , yamaha rx-a2070 , yamaha rx-a3070

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off