Yamaha RX-A3070 / A2070 / A1070 Aventage Owners' Thread - Page 162 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16295Likes

post #4831 of 4973 Old 05-26-2019, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I finally got my ceiling speakers installed and have arc setup. I played a few Dolby Atmos movies and I don’t know if I hear the ceiling speakers play during atmos scenes. I guess what I’m trying to say is, I don’t know if I’m hearing Dolby Atmos or if that’s just the way it is. I don’t feel the effect as what I thought I would think I would hear. Such as rain drops or planes flying above etc. I don’t hear those effects above me from the ceiling speakers.

My question is, what settings am I suppose to be at to hear Dolby Atmos. It’s currently and always at sur. Decode. Is there another setting I should be at? There is many different ones and I don’t really know the differences between them all.

I have all my hdmi cables plugged in directly to my tv and have arc from my receiver to my tv.

I have good ceiling speakers, the rsl ones.

I already ran ypao.

When I’m in party mode there is music playing from the ceiling speakers. I have not tried to listen to the ceiling speakers while being directly next to them during atmos movies. I’ve only sit in the main listening position and if this is what Dolby sounds like, I am really disappointment. I mainly only hear my surround speakers.

I have a 5.1.4 speaker set up.

Please let me know what I am missing and what I need to check/do to get my Dolby working or how to check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 4973 Old 05-27-2019, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray559527 View Post
I finally got my ceiling speakers installed and have arc setup. I played a few Dolby Atmos movies and I don’t know if I hear the ceiling speakers play during atmos scenes. I guess what I’m trying to say is, I don’t know if I’m hearing Dolby Atmos or if that’s just the way it is. I don’t feel the effect as what I thought I would think I would hear. Such as rain drops or planes flying above etc. I don’t hear those effects above me from the ceiling speakers.

My question is, what settings am I suppose to be at to hear Dolby Atmos. It’s currently and always at sur. Decode. Is there another setting I should be at? There is many different ones and I don’t really know the differences between them all.

I have all my hdmi cables plugged in directly to my tv and have arc from my receiver to my tv.

I have good ceiling speakers, the rsl ones.

I already ran ypao.

When I’m in party mode there is music playing from the ceiling speakers. I have not tried to listen to the ceiling speakers while being directly next to them during atmos movies. I’ve only sit in the main listening position and if this is what Dolby sounds like, I am really disappointment. I mainly only hear my surround speakers.

I have a 5.1.4 speaker set up.

Please let me know what I am missing and what I need to check/do to get my Dolby working or how to check.
I recently added another dolby atmos speakers and a poweramp turn my system into a full 7.1.4

Are you sure your speakers are atmos ready ?
The thing with atmos it's never gonna be like the movie theater.. I got some decent height effects..
You getting sur decorde is correct
You can go to the receiver and click on into and you'd get it to display the actual name which will be atmos /hd or something.

I say give your height channels some boosts.

LG 65 C9 OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (49-XXXX MODIFIED )
Home Theater 7.1.4 with yamaha RX3070
post #4833 of 4973 Old 05-27-2019, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4klover View Post
I recently added another dolby atmos speakers and a poweramp turn my system into a full 7.1.4

The thing with atmos it's never gonna be like the movie theater.. I got some decent height effects..
You can go to the receiver and click on into and you'd get it to display the actual name which will be atmos /hd or something.

I run a largely similar RX-A3060. Had same issue. Tried a number of different tweaks and re-ran YPAO a number of times.

Two changes that solved the issue to my satisfaction:
1) I pulled out a stepladder to get my ears right up near the in-ceiling Atmos speakers to verify they were truly producing sound when expected (they were)
2) I manually bumped all Atmos channels up and it sounded right to me. For my situation, I ended up at +3 dB over the YPAO suggestion.

Note most Atmos use adds depth and texture to the soundstage, and is not intended to sound "vertical." Certain passages, of course, do exactly that: Atmos can be used to sonically place a landing helicopter directly over your chair.

I am now very happy with my Atmos setup.
4klover and Ray559527 like this.

Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver | Outlaw Model 5000 amp
LG 75UH8500 tv | Samsung UBD-K8500 4K BD player
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 (L & R), Horizon (C)
Rhythmik LVX12 sub | Atlantic Tech. IC-6 OBA (4x, in ceiling)
Paradigm Mini Monitor surrounds (4x)

Last edited by BrianNLS; 05-27-2019 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4834 of 4973 Old 05-27-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
I leave my 3070 on surround decode and it displays ATMOS when it detects and plays ATMOS tracks. Are you getting that?

Try downloading some ATMOS demos. They tend to show off the capabilities of your ceiling speakers more so than regular movies. I like the 'Dolby HD Atmos Audiosphere' demo specifically because of this. I watched The Shallows for the first time recently and there's a scene where something jumps over your head and it really did sound like it flew up over my head and back down. Quite impressive but for most of the movie it was about sound envelopment and being in the sound bubble than constantly hearing exciting stuff over my head.
post #4835 of 4973 Old 05-27-2019, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4klover View Post

I’m pretty sure my speakers are atmos ready. When I was at the setup screen it’s listed at 80hz and it’s showing the speakers above not anywhere else in the room. I just boosted my speakers +2db above the recommended ypao settings. Thanks for the advice, I’ll give my speakers a test when I have the time. This sounds like something that might fix my issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
I leave my 3070 on surround decode and it displays ATMOS when it detects and plays ATMOS tracks. Are you getting that?

Try downloading some ATMOS demos. They tend to show off the capabilities of your ceiling speakers more so than regular movies. I like the 'Dolby HD Atmos Audiosphere' demo specifically because of this. I watched The Shallows for the first time recently and there's a scene where something jumps over your head and it really did sound like it flew up over my head and back down. Quite impressive but for most of the movie it was about sound envelopment and being in the sound bubble than constantly hearing exciting stuff over my head.
Edit* I just noticed this. I am not displaying atmos when I am on surround decode. I play atmos movies on Netflix and my friend brought over a Blu-ray the other day that had atmos. Sometimes I notice it will change to 2 DD signs, one D flipped the other way and I think it says surround afterwards. I am currently playing a movie off Netflix that has Dolby and I don’t see Atmos but sur. decode.

That’s good to know. I’ll try to do some sound test this week when I find some time. Thanks for the link.

I do have a few questions if anyone can help explain. There are a few different settings and I don’t know if I should ever use them such as neo 6 cinema and one other movie one. Should I ever use those settings and what difference would it make?

My other issue I found today is audio lag. I just updated my receiver and noticed any movies I played on my fire stick (Kodi) had a audio lag. This is currently on my tv input 1. I did a few test and when I moved my fire stick directly to the receiver playing the same movie, there was no lag. I then played my PlayStation on my tv input 2 and there was no audio lag. Has anyone experienced this or know how to fix? I haven’t tried another device in input due to time, but this wasn’t an issue before the update. Any fix?

Last edited by Ray559527; 05-27-2019 at 11:14 PM.
post #4836 of 4973 Old 05-27-2019, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi team

Wondering if anyone can provide me guidance.

I am trying to upscale my set top box from 720p, but all the options under video are greyed out.

Same for 1080i

I am using a 2070 with most recent firmware.

Thanks
post #4837 of 4973 Old 05-28-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Edit* I just noticed this. I am not displaying atmos when I am on surround decode. I play atmos movies on Netflix and my friend brought over a Blu-ray the other day that had atmos. Sometimes I notice it will change to 2 DD signs, one D flipped the other way and I think it says surround afterwards. I am currently playing a movie off Netflix that has Dolby and I don’t see Atmos but sur. decode.
Just to be clear, the display button on the remote will show you on screen what's going on. Lower left corner is where I see Atmos/DTHD. The Sur. Decode button will go through your options but auto is best. And if you select one of the movie options/cinema dsp options using the Movie button, the AVR will automatically switch back to the Atmos track, or the best track available, regardless what you selected with Sur. Decode button. At least that's my experience.

If you haven't updated your HDMI cables in a long time, it might makes sense to buy some newer high speed hdmi cables.
post #4838 of 4973 Old 05-28-2019, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Exclamation Download

Just noticed a new download version 2.70 from Yamaha posted today

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY*
*TV: Sony XBR65Z9D* - *BD Player: Pioneer UDP-LX 500* - *AVR: Yamaha RX-A3070* - *Audio System: (2) Funk Audio 6.1P’s towers - (2) Funk Audio 3.4D’s surrounds - (1) Funk 18.0C sub*
post #4839 of 4973 Old 05-28-2019, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I posted last week and got a few replies and suggestions to fix my lack of Dolby Vision using my RX-A3070, Panasonic DB-UB820 and Vizio PQ65-F1.
I will say the Yamaha 3070 is rather picky when it comes to DV as I had tried the suggestions and had only intermittent luck. So today I unplugged
everything and had to leave for a few hours to reset the HDMI ports, but on my way home I stopped by BB and picked up some AudioQuest Cinnamon
HDMI cables, I had been using Monoprice certified HDMI cables. Used the 1m one for the UB820 to 3070 and the 3m one as the run from the 3070 to
the PQ65. I can now say that if the disc has DV it runs as DV on my setup. I will say it's not cheap to set things up correctly but at least my slacker kids
won't be getting as much cash from me when I am gone. Lesson learned.

Such a short time to be there, such a long long time to be gone.
post #4840 of 4973 Old 05-28-2019, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratskrad View Post
So I posted last week and got a few replies and suggestions to fix my lack of Dolby Vision using my RX-A3070, Panasonic DB-UB820 and Vizio PQ65-F1.
I will say the Yamaha 3070 is rather picky when it comes to DV as I had tried the suggestions and had only intermittent luck. So today I unplugged
everything and had to leave for a few hours to reset the HDMI ports, but on my way home I stopped by BB and picked up some AudioQuest Cinnamon
HDMI cables, I had been using Monoprice certified HDMI cables. Used the 1m one for the UB820 to 3070 and the 3m one as the run from the 3070 to
the PQ65. I can now say that if the disc has DV it runs as DV on my setup. I will say it's not cheap to set things up correctly but at least my slacker kids
won't be getting as much cash from me when I am gone. Lesson learned.
Glad you got it working DV and Atmos or X at the same time makes for a great movie watching experience.
post #4841 of 4973 Old 06-01-2019, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Too soon to say, I still have to run through YPAO and REW several times before I can do any critical listening.
My RX-A3050 took a while to tune to perfection with 4 Sub's, and now I have a 5th on the way ...a Big Ass 24.0
(and a Crowson Motion Actuator system)
Any tips on running YPAO with the Crowsons?

I've got the 2 subs on sub output 1 and the Crowsons on output 2.

It seems unlikely the mic will pick up any sound from the Crowsons, so do I just set distance and delay to "0" ?
post #4842 of 4973 Old 06-01-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked: 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy View Post

It seems unlikely the mic will pick up any sound from the Crowsons, so do I just set distance and delay to "0" ?
I first ran YPAO with subs on both outs, then made manual adjustments after.
Removed EQ on Sub-2 out and set distance to 0. But that distance turned out to be a wrong assumption on my part.

You will want to set the rear sub out channel manually after YPAO with a lot of negative delay.
I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but you actually need to add substantially more distance for Crowson's than you would for a sub.

Not every signal chain is the same so it's best to play a movie with an extended club scene with a low consistent bass line.
I first discovered my Crowson's were off beat from my mains and front subs while watching the Netflix series Black Summer (episode 6).
I kept moving the distance slider in manual mode until it felt correct....ended up at 70 feet

I have a miniDSP and D-501 amp that also added delay to my signal that needed to be accounted for.

More distance = Less delay (I think most Denon/Marantz units max out at 20 feet beyond mains for sub distance)
There was a pretty good discussion about this in the Crowson thread a while ago.

There is a Ton of Great info and very helpful members in the Crowson thread:
Several discussions about negative delays were posted around mid January.

Link: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post57454608
ht guy likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #4843 of 4973 Old 06-03-2019, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Would i notice the difference in sound from a 3070 to a 2070 with almost all movies, very little music.
post #4844 of 4973 Old 06-03-2019, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound2017 View Post
Would i notice the difference in sound from a 3070 to a 2070 with almost all movies, very little music.
I’m not an expert but I’m gonna bet and say you won’t. I think the biggest difference is the extra 2 channels of processing that you’re able to do 5.2.4 as opposed to 7.2.4. The 2070 is a more than enough, at least for me.

Samsung 3D UN65H7150;Yamaha RX-A2070 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS-X
Def Tech L&R Promonitor 1000 Procenter 2000 Promonitor 800 ceilings & surrounds
SVS PC12 Plus-Klipsch KSW150 Sub;Monster HTS 2600MKII Power Conditioner
Oppo UDP-103 Bluray;Apple TV 4th Gen;Harmony Elite;PlayStation 4
AC Infinity Aircom T8;MediaLight Quad Bias Light
post #4845 of 4973 Old 06-03-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked: 8042
Quote:
No

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #4846 of 4973 Old 06-04-2019, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
I would add, that unless you are wanting to run a 7.x.4 setup, there's very little reason to go with a 30x0 unit in my experience.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #4847 of 4973 Old 06-04-2019, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Thanks guys ill go with the 2070.
post #4848 of 4973 Old 06-04-2019, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy View Post

YPAO won't pick up the Crowson's at all and if you configured for two sub outs with one being the Crowson's before running YPAO, it will default to one sub and you will have to go into settings and turn on the sub out for the Crowson's.

Also, speaking with Randolph Crowson, he stated that the Crowson's are pretty flat as designed and it's best to feed them a signal that is not being "adjusted" by room correction software or EQ. He also suggested the subwoofer channel level in the AVR be set to "0". Delay/Distance will need to be adjusted on a system by system basis as everyone has different seating positions, equipment and distances.

As Pio stated is his reply, they need some distance added to them for sure and like him, I am at 70 feet as well.
PioManiac likes this.
post #4849 of 4973 Old 06-05-2019, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all, is there any guide or link to optimise YPAO calibration? The sub and the speakers (5.1) does not feel complete in the room.

How should I eq the A3070? Is there any guide for different speakers setting to be like.

Could i dial in Rew eq to yamaha amp or yamaha had it own way of calculation?

Would minidsp 4x2hd would help for the sub?

Would dirac be better than YPAO? Like add on to minidsp ddrc88?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
post #4850 of 4973 Old 06-05-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked: 2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess21 View Post
Hi all, is there any guide or link to optimise YPAO calibration? The sub and the speakers (5.1) does not feel complete in the room.

How should I eq the A3070? Is there any guide for different speakers setting to be like.

Could i dial in Rew eq to yamaha amp or yamaha had it own way of calculation?

Would minidsp 4x2hd would help for the sub?

Would dirac be better than YPAO? Like add on to minidsp ddrc88?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
No
post #4851 of 4973 Old 06-08-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNLS View Post
I run a largely similar RX-A3060. Had same issue. Tried a number of different tweaks and re-ran YPAO a number of times.

Two changes that solved the issue to my satisfaction:
1) I pulled out a stepladder to get my ears right up near the in-ceiling Atmos speakers to verify they were truly producing sound when expected (they were)
2) I manually bumped all Atmos channels up and it sounded right to me. For my situation, I ended up at +3 dB over the YPAO suggestion.

Note most Atmos use adds depth and texture to the soundstage, and is not intended to sound "vertical." Certain passages, of course, do exactly that: Atmos can be used to sonically place a landing helicopter directly over your chair.

I am now very happy with my Atmos setup.
Sounds what I went through when going from 5.1 to 7.1.

I ran YPAO and couldn't hear the new rear channels.

Realized that because our ears face forwards and the YPAO mike faces the ceiling, the solution was to sit facing forwards while traveling the post-YPAO test tone around the room and bump up the gain on the two rears - it took 1 or 2 db to make them sound as loud as the other channels.

With the overhead speakers, the YPAO mike is aimed at them, while our ears are not.

Your solution sounds a lot like mine.

(I'm looking forward to setting up my ATMOS speakers in a few months - my whole theater has been taken apart for over a year while the house has been renovated, and will be completely rebuilt, with nothing but my 7.1 speakers carrying over. All the electronics will be new.)

post #4852 of 4973 Old 06-09-2019, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Finally got around to setting up my HT and my 2070. My Atmos and surround speakers are KEF R series rated down to 54hHZ are running auto cal, would most people leave the crossover at 80HZ for leave the front sound stage 80HZ and up the Atmos to 100 or 120HZ? This is my first HT with atmos and read a few conflicting opinion on another HT site.

Also is the general opinion to use Flat or Natural? Will start reading this thread to enhance my knowledge, but may take some time, but looking fwd to run my 5.4.2 system

My 5.4.2 HT
KEF Q750 Fronts and Q600 Centre
KEF C130 Atmos in-Ceiling & KEF Ci200 In-Wall Surrounds
2 x Speedwoofer 10s
JVC 7900 Projector, Yamaha 2070 Receiver, Panasonic 420 4K Player

Last edited by Terminate; 06-09-2019 at 01:31 AM.
post #4853 of 4973 Old 06-10-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminate View Post
Finally got around to setting up my HT and my 2070. My Atmos and surround speakers are KEF R series rated down to 54hHZ are running auto cal, would most people leave the crossover at 80HZ for leave the front sound stage 80HZ and up the Atmos to 100 or 120HZ? This is my first HT with atmos and read a few conflicting opinion on another HT site.

Also is the general opinion to use Flat or Natural? Will start reading this thread to enhance my knowledge, but may take some time, but looking fwd to run my 5.4.2 system
I have the crossover for my LCR at 90hz and my surrounds at 100hz. I don't have any Atmos speakers. I recommend trying different crossover points and figure what sounds best to you.
I use the second setup pattern for music. I have a 120hz crossover for that, because it sounds best to me.

I natural eq.
Terminate likes this.

TV: Samsung 65NU8000/ Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2070/ Bluray: PS3 Slim/ Fronts: Focal Chorus 726V/ Center: Focal Chorus cc700V
Surrounds: Focal Chorus 705V
Subs: (4) sealed SI HT 18" powered by Inuke 6000 EQed with MiniDSP
post #4854 of 4973 Old 06-10-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminate View Post

I use Flat - Natural is a treble rolloff arrived at by a panel of musical consultants decades ago. This was confirmed for me by a tech at Yamaha I contacted when I set up my 1030 a few years ago and saw that behavior on the graphs inside the post YPAO screens.

Back in the analog days I used tone controls all the time - nowadays I get my system as close to flat as I can and the only tone controls I use are on my car stereo!
Terminate likes this.

post #4855 of 4973 Old 06-12-2019, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I've got a random question regarding the A3070. I've owned it for about a year now, and it's 75% of the time causing my UPS to register a power interruption event whenever it turns on. In some cases, it'll even cause my PS4, that is in rest mode, to turn off completely. No other components have an issue and there's no power interruption or flickering of lights when this occurs. The UPS load doesn't indicate that I'm using even half of the watts its capable of, but I do have a number of components plugged in.

I'm assuming this is an electrical issue, but it only occurs when I turn the system on. Any suggestions?

Here's the UPS I have:
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP.../dp/B00429N192
post #4856 of 4973 Old 06-12-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo900t View Post
I've got a random question regarding the A3070. I've owned it for about a year now, and it's 75% of the time causing my UPS to register a power interruption event whenever it turns on. In some cases, it'll even cause my PS4, that is in rest mode, to turn off completely. No other components have an issue and there's no power interruption or flickering of lights when this occurs. The UPS load doesn't indicate that I'm using even half of the watts its capable of, but I do have a number of components plugged in.

I'm assuming this is an electrical issue, but it only occurs when I turn the system on. Any suggestions?

Here's the UPS I have:
My guess is that when the 3070 first powers on it briefly places a significantly higher load on your UPS and this is what's causing the issue. I'd place the blame on your UPS. I can't count the number of UPSes I've had fail over the years that have failed. Indeed, I owned the same one you have and it failed sometime ago now.
diablo900t likes this.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #4857 of 4973 Old 06-12-2019, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Here's the UPS I have:

No receiver with multi-channel high current amplifiers should be connected to an UPS or those $300 Panamax. Those devices does not have an adequate power supply to handle them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4858 of 4973 Old 06-12-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRes_PR View Post
No receiver with multi-channel high current amplifiers should be connected to an UPS or those $300 Panamax. Those devices does not have an adequate power supply to handle them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would it be a better idea to plug it into a surge protector on an individual outlet?

I don't necessarily need the battery backup aspect but do need surge protection, as I live in Florida and summer storms are pretty frequent.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #4859 of 4973 Old 06-13-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would it be a better idea to plug it into a surge protector on an individual outlet?

I don't necessarily need the battery backup aspect but do need surge protection, as I live in Florida and summer storms are pretty frequent.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I never plug any of my receivers or amplifiers into a UPS, only surge protectors. I use these:

https://www.brickwall.com/pages/the-...rge-protectors

As they don't contain self-destructing MOVs, but use large inductors to do the job. The downside is that they aren't cheap.

post #4860 of 4973 Old 06-13-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
I never plug any of my receivers or amplifiers into a UPS, only surge protectors. I use these:

https://www.brickwall.com/pages/the-...rge-protectors

As they don't contain self-destructing MOVs, but use large inductors to do the job. The downside is that they aren't cheap.
Are there any other more cost effective considerations? I can use the UPS for all of my other devices, but need just really a single outlet surge protection for the AVR. I also have a home surge suppressor installed at the meter by the power company as well, so I don't know if there's less risk and I should just plug it into the wall outlet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
7.1 , atc smc11 , extend , firmware update , lg c8 , sony ubp-x800 , Yamaha , yamaha 3070 , yamaha a-s1100 , yamaha rx-a2070 , yamaha rx-a3070

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page