Yamaha RX-A3070 / A2070 / A1070 Aventage Owners' Thread - Page 175 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16375Likes

post #5221 of 5337 Old 03-29-2020, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo900t View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
For my single sub, I EQ first in the MiniDSP and then run YPAO. That allows YPAO to set an accurate sub level that reflects the MiniDSP sub EQ.

For dual subs with the 20x0 or higher (that set separate levels and distances for 2 subs), I would run YPAO first to get the individual levels and distances right then EQ the combined response in the MiniDSP and finally increase the 2 subs levels equally to taste or combined output of 75dB if using REW SPL meter tool.

Also be sure to disable any sub PEQ in the Yamaha manual speaker setup menu before running sweeps in REW for MiniDSP sub EQ. You can do that by setting PEQ to Through or copying YPAO flat or natural to manual and zeroing the PEQ gains for each sub in the Yamaha manual PEQ menu.
Great advice, this is actually what I did yesterday:

1. I had my YPAO calibration set everything.
2. Ran REW measurements with the EQ set to through.
3. Used REW+MiniDSP and adjusted the subs EQ.
4. Restored the YPAO EQ, but copied the Flat settings to Manual and zeroed out the Sub EQ parameters YPAO originally set.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Remember you might need to turn up both sub levels equally after the MiniDSP EQ, because it will lower the overall level and you want to compensate for that.
diablo900t and mister_z1 like this.

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
Rythmik L12 Sealed Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 5337 Old 03-29-2020, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Great advice, this is actually what I did yesterday:

1. I had my YPAO calibration set everything.
2. Ran REW measurements with the EQ set to through.
3. Used REW+MiniDSP and adjusted the subs EQ.
4. Restored the YPAO EQ, but copied the Flat settings to Manual and zeroed out the Sub EQ parameters YPAO originally set.

Could I put the measurement results with REW?
post #5223 of 5337 Old 03-29-2020, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Remember you might need to turn up both sub levels equally after the MiniDSP EQ, because it will lower the overall level and you want to compensate for that.
Thanks for that suggestion. I went through and did that this morning and bumped up the sub levels to match the mains.

Is -0db on volume equal to 80 db?

mister_z1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5224 of 5337 Old 03-29-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_z1 View Post
Could I put the measurement results with REW?
I'm sure you could measure with REW and manually input them into YPAO. Only problem is you might be limited. 7 bands for full range and 4 for subs.

mister_z1 likes this.
post #5225 of 5337 Old 03-29-2020, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Unlike Audyssey, YPAO does most of the heavy lifting with the first measurement where it sets delay, crossover and creates an impulse response and then EQ's. Subsequent measurement positions are for setting and optimizing the surround sound and channel levels for multiple seating positions and no further EQ is initiated. If you notice a difference between measuring one position vs. multiple, it is simply because the channel levels are different. Notice that you perform the angle and height measurements in one position only.

Also, as stated in the owners manual: If you perform the multi-measure, the speaker settings will be optimized for you to enjoy surround sound in a wider space. and if you will have several listening positions and you want others to enjoy surround sound.

The speaker settings are not EQ, it would not be possible for YPAO to take the results of 8 measurement positions, calculate and apply correction to 6-11 channels so that wherever you sat in this room, you would hear a near flat response (which is not the intention of YPAO anyway). I understand that there is belief that using all 8 possible measurement positions may provide you with a "better" in room frequency response, and that may be true with Audyssey and Dirac but it is not with YPAO as YPAO is simply adjusting the channels levels for multiple seating positions once past the first measurement. This has been tested in the past and it is here somewhere in the Yamaha receivers threads, I believe the 50 series.

For most situations where you are the enthusiast and maybe you also have a companion, mate, etc. who predominately enjoy the experience, then a single measurement in between those two seats will provide you with the best results, not including the angle/height measurement. An SVS representative stated in another thread that he just uses one position in between the two main listening positions and may run 3 sweeps but does not move the mic.
SimpleTheater and mister_z1 like this.
post #5226 of 5337 Old 03-30-2020, 02:29 AM

Quote:
I'm sure you could measure with REW and manually input them into YPAO. Only problem is you might be limited. 7 bands for full range and 4 for subs.

It is just to see the results that the measurements give, at the moment my microphone has a friend and I can not make any measurements now, but as soon as I return it I will make measurements and share them with you
post #5227 of 5337 Old 03-30-2020, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Stevens View Post
Unlike Audyssey, YPAO does most of the heavy lifting with the first measurement where it sets delay, crossover and creates an impulse response and then EQ's. Subsequent measurement positions are for setting and optimizing the surround sound and channel levels for multiple seating positions and no further EQ is initiated. If you notice a difference between measuring one position vs. multiple, it is simply because the channel levels are different. Notice that you perform the angle and height measurements in one position only.

Also, as stated in the owners manual: If you perform the multi-measure, the speaker settings will be optimized for you to enjoy surround sound in a wider space. and if you will have several listening positions and you want others to enjoy surround sound.

The speaker settings are not EQ, it would not be possible for YPAO to take the results of 8 measurement positions, calculate and apply correction to 6-11 channels so that wherever you sat in this room, you would hear a near flat response (which is not the intention of YPAO anyway). I understand that there is belief that using all 8 possible measurement positions may provide you with a "better" in room frequency response, and that may be true with Audyssey and Dirac but it is not with YPAO as YPAO is simply adjusting the channels levels for multiple seating positions once past the first measurement. This has been tested in the past and it is here somewhere in the Yamaha receivers threads, I believe the 50 series.

For most situations where you are the enthusiast and maybe you also have a companion, mate, etc. who predominately enjoy the experience, then a single measurement in between those two seats will provide you with the best results, not including the angle/height measurement. An SVS representative stated in another thread that he just uses one position in between the two main listening positions and may run 3 sweeps but does not move the mic.
What I do not understand is because the sound of the av has changed so much to me, when I bought it and installed it was a sound with a bass without power, the front scene of the speakers and the central one had no life, they were only mids and highs, I have been able to make v 4, 5 or 6 hard reset and now suddenly the other day I do the calibration and ..... surprise !!!! I do not understand it did not have options activated and less the D.R.C.
well the case that now I hear it very well I am quite happy with the
post #5228 of 5337 Old 03-30-2020, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Stevens View Post

I have tested this many times over the last few months and the PEQ is different with say a 5pt cal with the 1st position in center of mlp and others 6 inches forward/backward/left/right of center vs 1pt cal in center position only.

Yes, the levels, distances, and crossovers can also vary between 5pt and 1pt, but the EQ isn't 1st position only with my RX-A2070 in my room. Don't know about the RSC filters but the PEQ was visibly different and sound much more natural with 5pt vs 1pt. And the mic placements were extremely precise and background noise minimal during calibration.

YMMV, just my 2 cents.
mister_z1 likes this.

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
Rythmik L12 Sealed Subwoofer
post #5229 of 5337 Old 03-31-2020, 04:46 AM

Quote:
I have tested this many times over the last few months and the PEQ is different with say a 5pt cal with the 1st position in center of mlp and others 6 inches forward/backward/left/right of center vs 1pt cal in center position only.

Yes, the levels, distances, and crossovers can also vary between 5pt and 1pt, but the EQ isn't 1st position only with my RX-A2070 in my room. Don't know about the RSC filters but the PEQ was visibly different and sound much more natural with 5pt vs 1pt. And the mic placements were extremely precise and background noise minimal during calibration.

YMMV, just my 2 cents.
Could it show or somehow show the calibration points that you do? I'm trying to collect all the information I can
  thanks
post #5230 of 5337 Old 03-31-2020, 05:27 AM

I want to try as the partner says to make a measurement with a single point with another angle and height and if I can once tested I want to do another one of three measurements but at a single point also with height and angle calibration and so I can test and see for myself what people are saying
post #5231 of 5337 Old 04-01-2020, 09:54 AM

Hello
yesterday I had a while and I tried to do 5 calibrations.
I discovered that it leaves a single point very well, that if the points of the microphone are placed in a multipoint, they must be together, since if they are more separated it does not leave it well, especially in the subwoofer area
post #5232 of 5337 Old 04-15-2020, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 28
HELP! I just spent over 15 hours in my theater trying to make a used upgrade to RX-A2070 work for me from my prior RX-V1075. After 3 days of messing around and adjusting almost anything I could adjust, both my wife and I unanimously agree that the old one sounded better! Problem is I had a buyer and was almost ready to ship out my old one (actually got payment for it) then I realized I was having real trouble with the 2070 so I refunded the money to pause and make a decision.
Reasons for upgrade: could not pass through video because of HDCP2.0 on the RXV - and I thought AtmosDTS-X would be nice.
Reasons for disappointment: found that sound was tinny and high, somewhat hollow compared to the RX-V. RX-V sounded noticeably fuller with more bass (but not exaggerated)

It got to a point while watching a DD5.1 bond film last night that even though the voices were at a reasonable level, there was ear shattering high pitch response with a severe lack of low-end to balance it. We both had headaches after the movie even though it wasn't actually loud as far as overall sound pressure. Whenever there was gunfire or shattering glass we would cringe in our seats! When there was an explosion, it had almost no sonic impact at all - like someone had taken an equalizer and lowered all frequencies between 20-500Hz. I went back to the RX-V this morning and brought my wife down, she confirmed animatedly that it sounded better than last night.

I messed with DSPs, eliminated the new front presence speakers I had spent a day installing because of the extra 2 channels available, messed with the auto and manual speaker set up, adjusted other sound settings in the options panel such as extra bass and also cranked the sub on my DefTech speakers to near the max - 15+ hours! It's really strange because when going through all the channels with a SPL meter, all were balanced between 26Hz to 18000Hz, so I figure it's just the mapping of the sound in the unit. I cannot believe that this makes any sense, why would a 6 year old flagship RX-V sound better than a 2 year old high end RX-A? I read one single thread somewhere that someone claimed the RX-A2060 sounded better than the replacement RX-A2070 but found no other single mention of this being the case after scouring the internet. I really need help rectifying this problem as I'm well over $1000 in the hole now and I may loose money on the 2070 if I try to sell it right now. Plus I really want to make the 2070 work due to the fact it's got all the features I want and need for HDCP 2.2 and my other equipment.

Panasonic DP-UB820, Yamaha RX-V1075, Epson 5040UB. Elunevision Reference 4K 125" screen.

Last edited by marcosphoto; 04-15-2020 at 11:04 AM.
post #5233 of 5337 Old 04-19-2020, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
Does anyone have a link to discrete remote hex codes for this unit?
LOL, I searched the thread for Hex. Maybe someone knows now.

Specifically, I'm trying to program the Enhancer onto my MX-990 and it won't learn it from the original remote.
post #5234 of 5337 Old 04-19-2020, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
LOL, I searched the thread for Hex. Maybe someone knows now.

Specifically, I'm trying to program the Enhancer onto my MX-990 and it won't learn it from the original remote.
I have a pdf file that I got from Yamaha (via my dealer) that lists all of the NEC IR codes for the RX-v685, A3080, and A5200. Most of these are the same for the previous models. I also have a text file that I created that contains the HEX conversion of the NEC codes (I believe it has most of them at least). If you pm me an address I will happily email these two files to you.
ChromeJob likes this.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #5235 of 5337 Old 04-20-2020, 05:19 AM

Hi guys, here is a cut and paste of a question I had put out on the 2060 pages - it was suggested I redirect it to this thread as the AVR's have changed slightly. I will begin off the hop that folks in the 2060 believe my problem is that I have continued the speaker configuration of my DefTech built in subs being connected through the speaker wires and using the internal line-level adapters rather than using LFE and separate cables. Although I am open to the idea of experimenting with connecting cables instead (I would still have to go out and buy some before I can do this), I say that I have used this configuration with 2 Yamaha AVR's before it and they always sounded amazing. Also, both DefTech and other DefTech users also state connecting the subs in this manner usually yields the best results. Having said this, the original question is below:

HELP! I just spent over 15 hours in my theatre trying to make a used upgrade to RX-A2070 work for me from my prior RX-V1075. After 3 days of messing around and adjusting almost anything I could adjust, both my wife and I unanimously agree that the old one sounded better! Reasons for upgrade: could not pass through video because of HDCP2.0 on the RXV - and I thought Atmos/DTS-X would be nice.
Reasons for disappointment: found that sound was tinny and high, somewhat hollow compared to the RX-V. RX-V sounded noticeably fuller with more bass (but not exaggerated)

It got to a point while watching a DD5.1 bond film last night that even though the voices were at a reasonable level, there was ear shattering high pitch response with a severe lack of low-end to balance it. We both had headaches after the movie even though it wasn't actually loud as far as overall sound pressure. Whenever there was gunfire or shattering glass we would cringe in our seats! When there was an explosion, it had almost no sonic impact at all - like someone had taken an equalizer and lowered all frequencies between 20-500Hz. I went back to the RX-V this morning and brought my wife down, she confirmed animatedly that it sounded better than last night.

I messed with DSPs, eliminated the new front presence speakers I had spent a day installing because of the extra 2 channels available, messed with the auto and manual speaker set up, adjusted other sound settings in the options panel such as extra bass and also cranked the sub on my DefTech speakers to near the max. 15+ hours messing with it! It's really strange because when going through all the channels with a SPL meter, all were balanced between 26Hz to 18000Hz, so I figure it's just the mapping of the sound in the unit. I cannot believe that this makes any sense, why would a 6 year old flagship RX-V sound better than a 2 year old high end RX-A? I read one single thread somewhere that someone claimed the RX-A2060 sounded better than the replacement RX-A2070 but found no other single mention of this being the case after scouring the internet. I really need help rectifying this problem as I'm well over $1100 in the hole now and I may loose money on the 2070 if I try to sell it right now. Plus I really want to make the 2070 work due to the fact it's got all the features I want and need for HDCP 2.2 and my other equipment.

I tried fiddling away from default with things like adaptive DRC, YPAO volume, virtual speakers - no improvement. I removed the newly installed front presence speakers and re-ran YPAO - no improvement. Manually set everything that I felt was inaccurate in the setup - no improvement. I even tried manually cranking my DefTech subs to near max and added the extra bass in the options menu, improved but still hollow, distant and flat sounding. I must have switched AVR's back and forth over 15 times as fast as possible, and my RX-V which only ever had a quick YPAO setup was noticeably improved (if my wife could tell the difference, it must have been horrendous as she is tone deaf).

There is nothing I can imagine that would make any improvement at this point, it almost seems like.....the AVR simply is having some issue outputting low frequency information with the source material. I used a SPL meter and test disk though, and found response pretty flat between 32Hz (it's as low as my test disk goes) to 18kHz using "C" weighted which seems to be industry standard. I did run a check using "A" weighted which is supposed to be what the human ear hears, there is a slight dip in SPL under 240Hz but no different than the RX-V. In fact the 2070 seems to be miraculous as getting what used to be about 4 or 5db difference in some speakers (parametric EQ set to through when checking for baseline reference) to nearly identical SPL on all speakers with parametric EQ set to flat. YPAO seemed to be excellent overall where I could tell, speaker distances/size/crossovers slightly more accurate than the RX-V.

Setup info:
AVR (mode 1), Parametric EQ (flat), Speakers all DefTech matched set, DefTech subs connected with speaker wire not cables, Panasonic DP-UB820 (any disk I tried both BR and DVD), tried 3 different disks including DD 5.1 media, Standard default "power amp assign" (main zone 9 channel), no separate zones used or connected, surround mode (straight), front center and sides (full signal), rear surround (tried 80-110Hz crossover).

Panasonic DP-UB820, Yamaha RX-V1075, Epson 5040UB. Elunevision Reference 4K 125" screen.
post #5236 of 5337 Old 04-20-2020, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
I have a pdf file that I got from Yamaha (via my dealer) that lists all of the NEC IR codes for the RX-v685, A3080, and A5200. Most of these are the same for the previous models. I also have a text file that I created that contains the HEX conversion of the NEC codes (I believe it has most of them at least). If you pm me an address I will happily email these two files to you.
Thank you! I sent my email via PM.
post #5237 of 5337 Old 04-24-2020, 09:04 AM

Hello everyone
Next week my second subwoofer arrives that exactly like the one I already have an xtz 12.17 edge, the fact is that I have heard that yamaha manages two subwoofer very well (almost better than one) but I can hardly find any information.
Could someone give me some information?
calibrate the two sub by separator?
put the two sub in phase?
that about the sub but now I have another question about the speakers
Has anyone put the fronts in large instead of small?
  Yesterday a colleague told me to try to do it (having towers) and I did it only on the front right and left, the central one left it small without staining the sound, it gave a power in bass in the impressing front area, I was surprised
finally someone knows if yamaha has any option that is similar to the dynamic eq in denon ??
greetings to all
post #5238 of 5337 Old 04-24-2020, 04:55 PM

I've got a 7.2.4 system and I bought a 5 channel amp, and am planning to use it to power LCR and side or back surrounds.

I planned on using the receiver only to power the height speakers.

I've got a spare 2 channel crown amp I could throw in the mix, but would the A3070 have a significant drop off in watts/channel for 4 heights vs. 4 heights + 2 surrounds?

I thought I read about low watts/ch with more than 5 speakers.

post #5239 of 5337 Old 04-27-2020, 05:26 AM

I could really use some input. I've been fighting with a used RX-A2070 for 3 weeks now, almost 40 hours of experimentation between my RX-V1075 (RX-A1030) and a week ago I was about to give up and bought the RX-V1085. In short, I knew the sound was amazing on my 1075, wanted extra speakers and needed HDCP2.2 so I had thought of the RX-V1085 but was talked into the RX-A2070 by Yamaha. Bought the AVR and hated it ever since. The sound of my 1075 is amazing, and the new 1085 I just bought sounds just as amazing even though it's all new. Problem is I want to return the 1085 because I really want the extra channels but the 2070 sounds like ass by comparison.

Many hours of research and I have come to some conclusion with the 2070 that I cannot tell is a characteristic of the AVR or somehow the room or other hardware (although 2 other Yamaha AVRs sound amazing).

I observed that the bass signal is really lacking, especially in the center channel and the highs are ear piercing and cause ear fatigue. Dialog sounded vague, far away - like a flatscreen tv. Harley Davidsons sound like mopeds. I really improved the sound of dialog by adding 2.5dB to the center in setup, cranking up bass tone control to 3 in options, toggling on extra-bass feature in options. Number of speakers connected doesn't really make a difference in sound nor does manually cranking up sub pots. After all this, I still found overall bass really lacking but certainly the center seems to be the largest issue. It's almost like the 2070 refuses to put out any lower frequencies even though it's set to large. (Indiana Jones Crystal Skull, when Mutt comes along the platform in the Harley the sound comes out mainly from the center so it's very obvious here. Also during concert passages like A star is born remake).

Can anyone give any input to these characteristics and why other Yamaha AVRs don't seem to suffer the same fate?

post #5240 of 5337 Old 04-27-2020, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked: 2641
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosphoto View Post
Can anyone give any input to these characteristics and why other Yamaha AVRs don't seem to suffer the same fate?
It is frowned upon to double and triple post in multiple threads.
ki11abee likes this.
post #5241 of 5337 Old 04-28-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Sorry, I initially placed the 2070 question in the 2060 forum inappropriately. I guess I should have left it at that, especially since so many people have tried to help out.

post #5242 of 5337 Old 04-28-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I initially placed the 2070 question in the 2060 forum inappropriately. I guess I should have left it at that, especially since so many people have tried to help out.
There's nothing left to do for you. Only you can make your system sound the way you like. Have fun with it.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #5243 of 5337 Old 04-30-2020, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so having a problem with my RX-A2070. I have 5.1 working great. Just added pool speakers (DefTek AWS6500). I wired them to Front Presence (Extra Speaker 1) posts with bananas, and went into Manual Config -> Power Assign to switch from Basic to 7.1 + 1 zone. I then turn on Zone 2, select an Input (cable box) and i get no sound.

Now I can switch the pool speakers from Front Precense to Front (L+R) and I immediately get sound so I know its not my speakers or wiring. What setting am I missing?

I am getting no sound from Zone 2 speakers.
post #5244 of 5337 Old 05-01-2020, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Need quick help please. If I’m only using 7.1 for the time being, how will the 3070 sound compared to an older but powerful Yamaha HTR 6090?
post #5245 of 5337 Old 05-02-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDavid View Post
Need quick help please. If I’m only using 7.1 for the time being, how will the 3070 sound compared to an older but powerful Yamaha HTR 6090?
Impossible to answer. Only way for you to find out is to try it and listen for yourself.
post #5246 of 5337 Old 05-02-2020, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Quote:
I'm partly to blame here. I urged posting in the correct thread for X070 AVRS after discussion had already gotten underway in the X060 thread.

@marcosphoto , you need to carry on the discussion in the right thread, and stick to it. Yamaha owners' threads might seem interchangeable but when you're cross-posting, it robs you of readers' attention, and can tend to annoy people. Pick a horse, then ride it -- please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoflick View Post
Ok so having a problem with my RX-A2070. I have 5.1 working great. Just added pool speakers (DefTek AWS6500). I wired them to Front Presence (Extra Speaker 1) posts with bananas, and went into Manual Config -> Power Assign to switch from Basic to 7.1 + 1 zone. I then turn on Zone 2, select an Input (cable box) and i get no sound.

Now I can switch the pool speakers from Front Precense to Front (L+R) and I immediately get sound so I know its not my speakers or wiring. What setting am I missing?

I am getting no sound from Zone 2 speakers.
Not all inputs can be played in Zone 2 -- I think. Checked the manual yet? The 1070 manual jumps around from p 17 to 98, and so on, for what can and can't be place in Zone 2. Perhaps a 2070 owner can speak fr experience.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? => Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. Respect our fine Moderators. And RTFM, always.
post #5247 of 5337 Old 05-03-2020, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Yamaha 2070 owner here. I just bought a 3080 for my home theater and am moving the 2070 up to my living room. I’d like to use the 2070 to pass through 1080i video from my STB (Telus Optik) and ATV to an ~7 year old plasma TV.

The old ATV will pass through but the STB will not. I get a message stating the HDMI port on the TV is not HDCP 2.2 compliant. This is really frustrating. I had an older Sony AVR that would pass through video to this TV w no problem. Now a newer AVR will not.

What happened to legacy protection?

Is there a work around here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A2070, 1 Totem Tribe III, 4 x Totem Tribe II, 2 x Totem Tribe I, 2 x SVS PB2000, 4 x Beale Street In-ceiling
post #5248 of 5337 Old 05-03-2020, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelton43 View Post
Yamaha 2070 owner here. I just bought a 3080 for my home theater and am moving the 2070 up to my living room. I’d like to use the 2070 to pass through 1080i video from my STB (Telus Optik) and ATV to an ~7 year old plasma TV.

The old ATV will pass through but the STB will not. I get a message stating the HDMI port on the TV is not HDCP 2.2 compliant. This is really frustrating. I had an older Sony AVR that would pass through video to this TV w no problem. Now a newer AVR will not.

What happened to legacy protection?

Is there a work around here?
Is the STB plugged into HDMI AV 1-7 in the back? Is the firmware up to date (entire chain: STB, AVR, TV)? Is the TV HDCP 2.2 compliant?

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? => Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. Respect our fine Moderators. And RTFM, always.
post #5249 of 5337 Old 05-03-2020, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Everything is up to date AFAIK. I don’t think the TV is HDCP 2.2 compliant.

So essentially my AVR is “policing” this compliance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A2070, 1 Totem Tribe III, 4 x Totem Tribe II, 2 x Totem Tribe I, 2 x SVS PB2000, 4 x Beale Street In-ceiling
post #5250 of 5337 Old 05-03-2020, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 441
No, your set-top-box is. Remember that the HDMI handshake is end-to-end, so if the new STB is getting back the response that the TV is not HDCP 2.2 you'll get that message, which it's contractually-required to give, under the terms of its license to send UHD programming.

The older ATV isn't testing for 2.2, which is why it still works with that TV.

When it worked with the older AVR, were you sending that same STB, with the same settings, through the older AVR to that TV?

What happens if you tell the STB to limit its output to 1080, which is all the TV can handle anyway? (To get into its setup menus, you may have to temporarily plug it into your theater setup.)
ChromeJob likes this.

Phil
True 4K/HDR10/3D JVC DLA-RS1000 (N5/NX5) projector, 7.2.4 Paradigm/Boston Acoustics/Onkyo speakers. Yamaha RX-A3070 (w/ Denon 2307CI to power 4 overheads). Oppo UDP-203, 4K Nvidia Shield, 4K Roku Ultra, 4K Amazon FireStick, Comcast 4K cable box, Win 10 PC.
My water-themed landscape photography website - only 24 pix up so far.

Last edited by Philnick; 05-03-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
7.1 , amplifer , atc smc11 , extend , firmware update , Klipsch , lg c8 , pre amp , rx-v1000 , sony ubp-x800 , Svs , Yamaha , yamaha 3070 , yamaha a-s1100 , yamaha rx-a2070 , yamaha rx-a3070

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page