*Official* Marantz 2017 NR1508/1608, SR5012/6012/7012 owner's thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4073Likes

post #3601 of 4785 Old 01-23-2019, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by manonfire View Post
I have alexa workin with sr7012

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Any tips?

The HEOS App is correctly configured. I tried renaming the receiver different names as well and it always says "Marantz SR6012 isn't responding"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 4785 Old 01-23-2019, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Not sure ive never gotten that message with mine i do get it with my nvidia sheild or xbox sometimes
And when i get it i have to reset my router. Is your receiver hard wired or are you using wifi?

post #3603 of 4785 Old 01-23-2019, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by suarsg View Post
Question for owners of SR6012 (and I guess SR5012):

When watching something on the TV's apps (e.g. Netflix) via HDMI-ARC, how do you guys check what signal/processing is being applied, how many channels the signal has, and what upmixer is being used? Can't see the Info-overlay since it's HDMI-ARC and that tiny display seems to only show source name + volume.

I have a Denon X4400H and want to switch to the SR6012 (purely for asthetic reasons) and I can see on its display what is going on with the audio when watching Netflix/YouTube/Prime etc. and I don't think there's any other way.
Pushing info on the remote will show you on screen which speakers are being sent a signal and an additional graphic shows which speakers in your setup are playing sounds.

Ironically, I'm thinking of switching my SR6012 for a Denon X4400H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3604 of 4785 Old 01-24-2019, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yes, however, you'll also need to set the DTR 6.4 surround mode to DIRECT.
Worked like a champ! Thank you!
post #3605 of 4785 Old 01-24-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manonfire View Post
Not sure ive never gotten that message with mine i do get it with my nvidia sheild or xbox sometimes
And when i get it i have to reset my router. Is your receiver hard wired or are you using wifi?

Thanks for the screenshots. Mine looks identical. Everything is wired except the receiver itself. I feel like its something with the receivers configuration. Firewall rules are allowed bidirectionally as well. I deleted everything on the Alexa and reconfigured the HEOS app but it's the same result.
post #3606 of 4785 Old 01-24-2019, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Some further 7012 questions. For any 11 channel activity, the "assignable" channels are Height1 or Height2. So is that the only use for an external amp? What if I get an MM7025, can't I use that for the fronts instead and then let the 9 channels in the 7012 run all others?

Sorry if a rudimentary question, but parts of this manual are tough to understand for my level. Thanks!
post #3607 of 4785 Old 01-24-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22581 Post(s)
Liked: 12288
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius65 View Post
Some further 7012 questions. For any 11 channel activity, the "assignable" channels are Height1 or Height2. So is that the only use for an external amp? What if I get an MM7025, can't I use that for the fronts instead and then let the 9 channels in the 7012 run all others?

Sorry if a rudimentary question, but parts of this manual are tough to understand for my level. Thanks!
Yes.

Assign Mode: 11.1
Floor
- Layout
: 5ch & SB
Height
– Height Sp
: 4ch
- Layout: Top Front + Top Rear (for example)
- Pre-out: Front
SaulP likes this.
post #3608 of 4785 Old 01-25-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Decided to move to the 6012 when my Denon 4100 decided to die unexpectedly. This became a “if you give a moose a cookie” situation. Needed to put in a fan, change out the power strip, install a new IR repeater, and troubleshoot everything multiple times. Of course one speaker decided to work itself loose along the way. The Sony TV was not happy with the change at one point, claiming it did not like the settings for the antenna (what antenna?). Got stuck in zone 2 until I found the button on the front .... Then the Xfinity box decided to have HDCP issues......

Pretty much everything now works but like many projects this was far harder than originally anticipated. Part of the problem is that I have way too many legacy devices. Fortunately the unit can take all the needed inputs, but it was still a challenge.

Last edited by originalsnuffy; 01-25-2019 at 06:55 AM.
post #3609 of 4785 Old 01-25-2019, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello Guys! I live in Argentina and I will be flying to NY by the end of March (I will staying in Terrytown and I think I will spend the weekend in Manhattan). I was wondering if someone could help me to find the best possible deal to buy a 7012. So far the best I could find is $1200 from Amazon (I'm not so confident with Amazon retailers as my last 7009 started to fail the center and rear channels a few months after I buy it). Is there any other place that you could recommend to buy it? I don't care about the warranty, as I will stay in US only for 1 week.
Thanks!!
post #3610 of 4785 Old 01-25-2019, 09:23 AM

SR6012 - My screen keeps turning black after about 30 minutes of use. The receiver is on and I can hear the sound. I don't have any standby options set. If I switch the input and switch it back the picture comes back. Does this sound like something is reconfigured or a defective unit/cable? The receiver is certified factory refurbished and the cables are new fusion 4k cables. Any assistance would be highly appreciated as this is very unsettling as I just purchased this a month ago..
burts likes this.
post #3611 of 4785 Old 01-25-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmpowerm5 View Post
SR6012 - My screen keeps turning black after about 30 minutes of use. The receiver is on and I can hear the sound. I don't have any standby options set. If I switch the input and switch it back the picture comes back. Does this sound like something is reconfigured or a defective unit/cable? The receiver is certified factory refurbished and the cables are new fusion 4k cables. Any assistance would be highly appreciated as this is very unsettling as I just purchased this a month ago..

Upon digging further it appears to be a lack of 5V input coming from the HDMI cable. If the Receiver HDMI board was bad the sound wouldn't come through.
post #3612 of 4785 Old 01-25-2019, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by maco07 View Post
Hello Guys! I live in Argentina and I will be flying to NY by the end of March (I will staying in Terrytown and I think I will spend the weekend in Manhattan). I was wondering if someone could help me to find the best possible deal to buy a 7012. So far the best I could find is $1200 from Amazon (I'm not so confident with Amazon retailers as my last 7009 started to fail the center and rear channels a few months after I buy it). Is there any other place that you could recommend to buy it? I don't care about the warranty, as I will stay in US only for 1 week.
Thanks!!
The last two Marantz products I have bought I used accessories4less. They sell Marantz factory refurbished products. They currently have the 7012 in stock factory refurbished for 930$. They are an authorized reseller and I've been very happy with them.
rocky1 and maco07 like this.
post #3613 of 4785 Old 01-25-2019, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmpowerm5 View Post
Any tips?

The HEOS App is correctly configured. I tried renaming the receiver different names as well and it always says "Marantz SR6012 isn't responding"
I also have Alexa working with my Marantz SR7012. It's a bit unreliable but it usually works. Obviously you've got to install the HEOS app on Alexa and link it to your HEOS account. And link your Marantz to the HEOS account as well.

When it works I can use voice commands such as "Alexa, play Depeche Mode on Marantz". And she will respond on the Echo "Playing Depeche Mode from Apple Music on Marantz SR7012". Within a few seconds the Marantz will power on, change to the correct mode, and start playing the requested music over the big speakers, with much better sound quality than the Echo. Pretty cool. Also I can use Alexa voice commands to raise and lower the volume or play and pause. There are probably other voice commands that work but I've not experimented beyond the basics.

So what goes wrong that causes it to sometimes not work? I'm not certain of all the possible reasons. A few times when it wasn't working I've traced the issue back to spontaneous name changes for the Marantz. There are a few semi-linked places where the HEOS device name is configured, including on the Marantz, within the HEOS app, and within the Alexa app. Sometimes they are all in-sync and all works well. Sometimes one of them spontaneously changes to "Living Room" instead of "Marantz SR7012" which is what I configured the "friendly name" to be. When the names are inconsistent across the various places I find that the Alexa voice commands are often not recognized and fail.

I don't know what triggers the name changes. I've been hoping for more frequent firmware updates on the Marantz to give me hope that there are engineers hard at work to finish debugging this product.

Tonight I couldn't get the Marantz to connect to WiFi at all. I tried numerous times to configure the network, run diagnostics on the network, etc. All failed, forever spinning the wait symbol while it supposedly searched for networks or loaded network drivers, but nothing ever happened. Normal power cycles did not clear the condition. Finally I unplugged completely for ten seconds and after that the WiFi network interface functioned again and I was able to reconnect to me network. Anyone else have issues with network interface stability and lock ups on the SR7012?
post #3614 of 4785 Old 01-26-2019, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilley View Post
I also have Alexa working with my Marantz SR7012. It's a bit unreliable but it usually works. Obviously you've got to install the HEOS app on Alexa and link it to your HEOS account. And link your Marantz to the HEOS account as well.

When it works I can use voice commands such as "Alexa, play Depeche Mode on Marantz". And she will respond on the Echo "Playing Depeche Mode from Apple Music on Marantz SR7012". Within a few seconds the Marantz will power on, change to the correct mode, and start playing the requested music over the big speakers, with much better sound quality than the Echo. Pretty cool. Also I can use Alexa voice commands to raise and lower the volume or play and pause. There are probably other voice commands that work but I've not experimented beyond the basics.

So what goes wrong that causes it to sometimes not work? I'm not certain of all the possible reasons. A few times when it wasn't working I've traced the issue back to spontaneous name changes for the Marantz. There are a few semi-linked places where the HEOS device name is configured, including on the Marantz, within the HEOS app, and within the Alexa app. Sometimes they are all in-sync and all works well. Sometimes one of them spontaneously changes to "Living Room" instead of "Marantz SR7012" which is what I configured the "friendly name" to be. When the names are inconsistent across the various places I find that the Alexa voice commands are often not recognized and fail.

I don't know what triggers the name changes. I've been hoping for more frequent firmware updates on the Marantz to give me hope that there are engineers hard at work to finish debugging this product.

Tonight I couldn't get the Marantz to connect to WiFi at all. I tried numerous times to configure the network, run diagnostics on the network, etc. All failed, forever spinning the wait symbol while it supposedly searched for networks or loaded network drivers, but nothing ever happened. Normal power cycles did not clear the condition. Finally I unplugged completely for ten seconds and after that the WiFi network interface functioned again and I was able to reconnect to me network. Anyone else have issues with network interface stability and lock ups on the SR7012?
I wont touch heos features as its quirky and gave me more problems like making network completely dissapear requiring network resets etc.. Imo this feature shouldnt even be in the unit, its just more potential for failures
post #3615 of 4785 Old 01-26-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Question about Audyssey on a 7012. I have a KEF HTB2 10inch sub which is set away from the corner in a medium sized room. It has a 'bass boost' switch which I have set to zero but no other level control. Whenever i run the setup wizard it tells me the sub level is too high. What could be the cause?
post #3616 of 4785 Old 01-26-2019, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Upgrade question: I am currently running a Marantz SR8002 and am thinking about pulling the trigger on a new SR7012 to take advantage of some new Klipsch Atmos enabled floor speakers.

Do you think that the build quality and performance of the SR7012 is equal to or better than the SR8002? I keep hearing about AVR manufacturer's cheapening out on components, and I've heard that the 'per channel' wattage ratings of newer receivers may not be measured in the same way as older receivers. What are your thoughts?
post #3617 of 4785 Old 01-26-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
Question about Audyssey on a 7012. I have a KEF HTB2 10inch sub which is set away from the corner in a medium sized room. It has a 'bass boost' switch which I have set to zero but no other level control. Whenever i run the setup wizard it tells me the sub level is too high. What could be the cause?
Move it farther away from the corner. Ideally, do a "sub crawl" for best placement (google).
post #3618 of 4785 Old 01-26-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mackey View Post
Upgrade question: I am currently running a Marantz SR8002 and am thinking about pulling the trigger on a new SR7012 to take advantage of some new Klipsch Atmos enabled floor speakers.

Do you think that the build quality and performance of the SR7012 is equal to or better than the SR8002? I keep hearing about AVR manufacturer's cheapening out on components, and I've heard that the 'per channel' wattage ratings of newer receivers may not be measured in the same way as older receivers. What are your thoughts?
Yes. A few years back the HDAM pre-amp modules were upgraded such that it even bests the AV8801.
post #3619 of 4785 Old 01-26-2019, 05:09 PM

6012 owner here. Does anyone know if streaming Tidal via the HEOS app actually presents FLAC files to the AVR? I read that 'HS2' is required for that, but haven't been able to ascertain if the 6012 has HS1 vs HS2.

Thanks
post #3620 of 4785 Old 01-26-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Move it farther away from the corner. Ideally, do a "sub crawl" for best placement (google).
Thanks for your reply. That's what I meant about 'away from the corner'- It's nowhere near the corner. I have done the sub crawl but did not get any conclusive results within the vicinity of where the sub could go. Why would Audyssey flag a single small sub as being set too high?
post #3621 of 4785 Old 01-26-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Anyone find that Audyssey somehow keeps turning itself OFF? When I first set it, I had to turn it ON for every single surround mode for some reason (I would have thought it would have had a universal on/off ability option). Today, I put on an Atmos movie and hit the info button and sure enough, it was OFF again. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't resave the one smart memory button after turning it on?

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)
post #3622 of 4785 Old 01-27-2019, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
Anyone find that Audyssey somehow keeps turning itself OFF? When I first set it, I had to turn it ON for every single surround mode for some reason (I would have thought it would have had a universal on/off ability option). Today, I put on an Atmos movie and hit the info button and sure enough, it was OFF again. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't resave the one smart memory button after turning it on?
Yup. More often then not, this issue is related to the SMART SELECT buttons not being resaved. The other reason is when mucking around with the AMP ASSIGN configurations as changing the configuration to test will generally disable Audyssey until the configuration is returned to when Audyssey was originally run.
post #3623 of 4785 Old 01-27-2019, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Yup. More often then not, this issue is related to the SMART SELECT buttons not being resaved. The other reason is when mucking around with the AMP ASSIGN configurations as changing the configuration to test will generally disable Audyssey until the configuration is returned to when Audyssey was originally run.
Great info everyone! I have read a ton over on the Audyssey calibration thread ( struggled whether to ask there or here) but still have a question regarding my SR7012. I ran the Audyssey with my Tekton LCR Impact Monitors and it set them to large with full bandwidth and my in-ceiling focals were crossed at 150hz. If I go in to Audyssey manually, and set the 5 speakers at 80hz to compare material, will Audyssey keep this setting until I restore? I went in last night after the original Audyssey calibration on Friday and changed the crossovers to 80hz, but also changed the setting in amp assign and today had no Audyssey, despite hitting restore many times. So I had to redo the whole test.
post #3624 of 4785 Old 01-27-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep amonte View Post
Great info everyone! I have read a ton over on the Audyssey calibration thread ( struggled whether to ask there or here) but still have a question regarding my SR7012. I ran the Audyssey with my Tekton LCR Impact Monitors and it set them to large with full bandwidth and my in-ceiling focals were crossed at 150hz. If I go in to Audyssey manually, and set the 5 speakers at 80hz to compare material, will Audyssey keep this setting until I restore? I went in last night after the original Audyssey calibration on Friday and changed the crossovers to 80hz, but also changed the setting in amp assign and today had no Audyssey, despite hitting restore many times. So I had to redo the whole test.
Audyssey refers to the actual EQ. The other settings (LARGE/SMALL, crossover, distance, level) are all set by the AVR. As noted in the Audyssey FAQ, it's okay to raise the crossover up to 80Hz for those that have been set less than 80Hz, however, if you lower one set above 80Hz down to 80Hz, you're effectively introducing frequencies that have not been EQ'd (ie. leave the 150Hz crossover alone). Whatever changes are made in Manual Setup become the active settings used by the AVR (ie. Audyssey Setup will still show the speakers as LARGE but if changed to SMALL/80Hz in Manual Setup, that becomes the new setting for those speakers). There should have been no reason to make a change in AMP ASSIGN which is what resulted in Audyssey being disabled. You simply needed to return the AMP ASSIGN to the original setting when you ran Audyssey and Audyssey would have been available again.
post #3625 of 4785 Old 01-27-2019, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Audyssey refers to the actual EQ. The other settings (LARGE/SMALL, crossover, distance, level) are all set by the AVR. As noted in the Audyssey FAQ, it's okay to raise the crossover up to 80Hz for those that have been set less than 80Hz, however, if you lower one set above 80Hz down to 80Hz, you're effectively introducing frequencies that have not been EQ'd (ie. leave the 150Hz crossover alone). Whatever changes are made in Manual Setup become the active settings used by the AVR (ie. Audyssey Setup will still show the speakers as LARGE but if changed to SMALL/80Hz in Manual Setup, that becomes the new setting for those speakers). There should have been no reason to make a change in AMP ASSIGN which is what resulted in Audyssey being disabled. You simply needed to return the AMP ASSIGN to the original setting when you ran Audyssey and Audyssey would have been available again.
Thank you!
post #3626 of 4785 Old 01-28-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
if you lower one set above 80Hz down to 80Hz, you're effectively introducing frequencies that have not been EQ'd (ie. leave the 150Hz crossover alone).
I'm not sure it works that way. I believe Audyssey calibrates each channel full range (also de sub), then is up to you (or the receiver brand) to set de XOs.
rocky1 likes this.
post #3627 of 4785 Old 01-28-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
I'm not sure it works that way. I believe Audyssey calibrates each channel full range (also de sub), then is up to you (or the receiver brand) to set de XOs.
Havent dealt with the audyssey in a long while but if I remember correctly it set my speakers to 40 and I changed them to 80. So I believe your correct.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #3628 of 4785 Old 01-28-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Audyssey only EQ's down to the -3dB point at which point the AVR sets the crossover. Of this I am certain.

Please refer to the Audyssey FAQ to learn more about how Audyssey works ---> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 01-28-2019 at 06:18 AM.
post #3629 of 4785 Old 01-28-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Audyssey only EQ's down to the -3dB point at which point the AVR sets the crossover. Of this I am certain.

Please refer to the Audyssey FAQ to learn more about how Audyssey works ---> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...d-part-ii.html
You are right. I was not aware of that. So, in my case, my 7009 set the fronts and center to LARGE after Auddysey runs, how do you think it is supposed to work in that case?

Thanks!
post #3630 of 4785 Old 01-28-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
You are right. I was not aware of that. So, in my case, my 7009 set the fronts and center to LARGE after Auddysey runs, how do you think it is supposed to work in that case?

Thanks!
The AVR will set a speaker to LARGE, if the -3dB point is <50Hz, generally setting the crossover at 40Hz. If there is a dedicated sub in the setup, general recommendation is to go to Manual Setup and reset those speakers to SMALL/80Hz, letting the sub handle the lower frequencies as it is generally far more capable of doing the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
atmos , auro3d , bridging channels , clipping , dts:x , issue , Marantz , marantz sr 6012 , marantz sr7012 , sr7012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page