*Official* Marantz 2017 NR1508/1608, SR5012/6012/7012 owner's thread - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4041Likes

post #3721 of 4519 Old 02-11-2019, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
That's my understanding. Other than simultaneous 8 ch (7.1.) of volume up/down [with no independent sub/speaker ch. level capability], the signal goes straight to the internal power amps you have no other adjustments or processing applied.
Perfect. That is exactly what I was hoping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 4519 Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21991 Post(s)
Liked: 11927
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaucom View Post
Just to completely clarify, the 7.1 inputs are not converted to digital at all in the marantz correct(no bass management, eq etc? I can set crossover in outboard Dirac unit and signal for both speakers and sub will pass straight through the marantz?
Asked and answered. Saying it again won't change my response.
post #3723 of 4519 Old 02-11-2019, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Asked and answered. Saying it again won't change my response.
Sorry. The only reason I asked again was because I noticed a spelling mistake in my original post where I typed "with ADA" instead of "without". I wanted to make sure the correct question was answered. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3724 of 4519 Old 02-11-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Why don't you contact Audioholics then and explain to them this isn't true, at least for your unit.
WTF do they have to do with anything??? You think reviewers at a rag are experts? Please, they went out of their way there to say Auro-3D does NOT work with "enabled" Dolby speakers in a fairly recent review of a Def Tech speaker set. Horse crap. My 7012 specifically says it DOES work with enabled speakers (the 7010 did not, but the 7012 sure as hell does and that was a 2018 review). And they claim they are peered reviewed TWICE? By what? Another person as ignorant as they are about the subject?
RickD1225 likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 7-5-19)
post #3725 of 4519 Old 02-11-2019, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
WTF do they have to do with anything??? You think reviewers at a rag are experts?
They've reviewed and measured dozens of AVRs over the years and you perhaps a few you happen to own, I assume for your own consumption only and without the benefit of a multi-thousand dollar AP analyzer, but if you'd like to post data showing that the output of a Marantz in "Low Impedance/ECO" mode, or whatever they call it, does not throttle down maximum possible output power at all volume settings into various difficult loads compared to when set to normal mode, then by all means please post your data.

P.S. Anecdotal observations that "there was no reduction in ECO mode" does not cut it. I want output power measurements, please.

Last edited by m. zillch; 02-11-2019 at 10:24 PM.
post #3726 of 4519 Old 02-11-2019, 05:42 PM

"That Impedance Switch on Your Receiver is a Lie!

OK, it’s not really a lie, but it limits the output of your AV receiver or amplifier
. Some AV receivers have an impedance selector switch on the back (Yamaha is famous for this) that opts between 4-ohm and 8-ohm or 4/8-ohm and 6/12-ohm. The idea is that it is safer to match the impedance of the amplifier to the speaker to avoid overpowering it or creating a difficult load on the amplifiers. The problem is two-fold. One, loudspeakers don’t have “flat” impedance curves. They dip down and swoop up. That means that a 4-ohm speaker may spend a lot of its time in the 8-ohm or greater range. It also means that if you’re using a subwoofer, you may never get down to its lowest impedance dip areas. Second, the only way to really make a system “safer” is by limiting the power output of the amplifier or AV receiver. This is exactly what the setting does. As a result, that little switch cripples, ever so slightly, the output of that brand new AV receiver or amplifier you just purchased. Our recommendation is leave it on the highest setting possible. That will give you the most power output regardless of the speaker impedance rating of your bookshelf or tower speakers."

Speaker Impedance Ratings Explained - Audio Gurus

Last edited by m. zillch; 02-11-2019 at 06:03 PM.
post #3727 of 4519 Old 02-11-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Maybe Marant users can help me here.

So I have a Marantz NR1608, Martin Logan SLM X3 and Vizio P75 setup in Arc to the AVR.

I have noticed that when casting YouTube videos to TVs built in Chromecast there are random static like pops every 10+ seconds that are subtle but I know are there.

I fired up Netflix and from what I can tell, they are not there anymore.

Any ideas? I believe I have my Vizio set to PCM and AVR to Auto Select sound. Defaults to Stereo. Does this if I also move to Neural X

Also the X3 sounds a little muffled on Voices when watching YouTube or Netflix movies with Volume at 70-80. It's not as pronounced as my other 7.1 setup in the house. I do that think I'm under powered as the speaker gets loud.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #3728 of 4519 Old 02-11-2019, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They've reviewed and measured dozens of AVRs over the years and you perhaps a few you happen to own, I assume for your own consumption only and without the benefit of a ~$20k AP analyzer, but if you'd like to post data showing that the output of a Marantz in "Low Impedance/ECO" mode, or whatever they call it, does not throttle down maximum possible output power at all volume settings into various difficult loads compared to when set to normal mode, then by all means please post your data.

P.S. Anecdotal observations that "there was no reduction in ECO mode" does not cut it. I want output power measurements, please.
I knew there was a reason I put you on ignore before.... Guess what? I don't give a crap what you want or what you think. The resident expert on D&M here already said there's no downside, but you don't believe him or anyone else that contradicts a word you say after reading some review site.

Back to ignore you go....

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 7-5-19)
post #3729 of 4519 Old 02-11-2019, 09:53 PM

As I suspected: no substantiating links nor measurements.

For those of you who trust measurements taken by a person with a degree in Electrical Engineering using a state-of-the-art Audio Precision analyzer, and does these sorts of technical gear measurements for a living, jump to 3m20s into the video, if my link doesn't take you there directly:
keep amonte and Trebor Pyn like this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 02-11-2019 at 11:07 PM.
post #3730 of 4519 Old 02-12-2019, 04:42 AM

Quote:

For those of you who trust measurements taken by a person with a degree in Electrical Engineering using a state-of-the-art Audio Precision analyzer, and does these sorts of technical gear measurements for a living, jump to 3m20s into the video, if my link doesn't take you there directly:
Can we get back on track? MagnumX responded to the OP with a suggestion of using the ECO mode (which I have used on various models for the past 4 years as it helps to cool the AVR at least 10F without requiring the use of an external fan and with my 92dB speakers results in no distortion) so not sure why you keep discussing the IMPEDANCE setting which is different?
MagnumX likes this.
post #3731 of 4519 Old 02-12-2019, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Can we get back on track? MagnumX responded to the OP with a suggestion of using the ECO mode (which I have used on various models for the past 4 years as it helps to cool the AVR at least 10F without requiring the use of an external fan and with my 92dB speakers results in no distortion) so not sure why you keep discussing the IMPEDANCE setting which is different?
Yes, I will see what ECO mode does next time I'm down there for a movie. I appreciate the enthusiasm of everyone to help me out though!

Home Theater: Marantz SR6012, Fronts: Paradigm Titans, Sides: Paradigm Atoms, Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-170, Sub: RBH I-12
post #3732 of 4519 Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWRXPride View Post
Yes, I will see what ECO mode does next time I'm down there for a movie. I appreciate the enthusiasm of everyone to help me out though!
Note there are two ECO mode settings: Auto (is disabled at volume levels above around 50/-30dB) and ON (never disabled). Although AUTO is often recommended, I've always used ON as I listen at 70/-10dB (movies) and 60/-20dB (TV/music).
post #3733 of 4519 Old 02-12-2019, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 612
I’ve been using ECO for the past two months and had no heat issues or performance degradation that I’ve noticed.

I’m mostly watching movies loud plus about 30% music

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #3734 of 4519 Old 02-12-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Make RIDICULOUS requests (I'm not set up for that and wouldn't waste my time on it for your personal amusement regardless) is not proof of anything other than you like to be combative on every single thing that contradicts your personal opinions. I've got TWO degrees in Electronic Engineering, BTW, although I don't work in the audio field, but industrial electronic systems and repair, although I had several classes on the matter way back in college. I don't see that YOU have taken a single measurement. You quote someone else, but sadly you're not even talking about the same thing!

Quote:
https://youtu.be/Ou5bO8P2Drw?t=200
You've taken two entirely different things ("ECO MODE" and an "Impedance Switch") and erroneously CONFLATED the two as equals! The Marantz AVRs DO have an impedance mode switch on them (see 7012 manual page 43!). That is NOT "Eco" mode! Eco mode is a lot more complex with the goal being to reduce power consumption and heat rather than to not to blow up the amp running lower impedance speakers (by letting the tweeters take a hit when more power is demanded instead of the amp).
(https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post46079281).

The Marantz manual says that Eco mode monitors the volume levels being used and lowers the power of the amplifiers to match the volume level requirements. That's not an upper level volume limiter like the impedance switch typically is, but a power reduction based on the actual levels being used. In other words if you're only going to use 5 watts maximum with a given set of speakers during a movie, it's just a waste of power and heat to let the amplifiers idle at the equivalent of 70 watts each or whatever it ends up being dividing the total power supply capability between the total number of speakers being used. If you're not even using certain channels (because you've using the pre-outs with external amps), those amplifiers don't need any power period so they could be reduced or even turned off when no speaker is connected to them. With ECO mode off, those channels are still powered up at idle regardless if they're used or not, generating more heat. An impedance switch doesn't do any of those things!

Where I could potentially see an issue is that if you're making too high a demand for power and the system doesn't react fast enough by turning up the maximum current draw to meet demand, you might get a current limit at the top which could cause clipping, but I haven't seen/heard any evidence of that yet (not here anyway or ran into someone that made that claim, although I did see a video on YouTube that suggested some funky sound in his tweeters, but it sounded like he was overloading the mic to me. I can't duplicate that here, in any case). But regardless, Eco Mode is NOT the Impedance switch!

Here we have someone that has a cabinet that is getting too hot. I recommended two things to help. One is a FAN for better circulation inside the cabinet and/or trying Eco mode out, which if he can't hear any difference might be enough alone to reduce the heat substantially. You then go flying off the handle about an impedance matching mode that has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

post #3735 of 4519 Old 02-12-2019, 10:35 AM

"Eco Mode - Avoid like the Plague!
As much as I am in favor of conserving resources and reducing my carbon footprint on this planet, running Eco mode on your AV receiver isn't going to slow the rising ocean levels or lower the acidity of our oceans. Instead, it's going to starve your speakers of power. With Eco mode engaged, it limited power on the bench to 20 watts/ch no matter how many channels were driven. This is worse than the dreaded 4-ohm impedance switch many receiver companies are using today. Make triple sure you NEVER set this receiver to Eco if you plan on using the internal amplifiers. I'd go so far as to omit the button from the remote control in case someone accidentally hits it and engages that mode."

[Bold text mine]

Source:
Audioholics Review on the Denon AVR-X3300W

Last edited by m. zillch; 02-12-2019 at 10:41 AM.
post #3736 of 4519 Old 02-12-2019, 10:41 AM

Audioholics has gotten enough things just flat out wrong in the past that I have always taken their results with a grain of salt.

Bottom line, considering the average 8-ohm, 87dB+ speaker on average uses <5W/CH, there's no reason not to use ECO Mode as many of us prefer and will continue to do.
post #3737 of 4519 Old 02-12-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Audioholics has gotten enough things just flat out wrong in the past that I have always taken their results with a grain of salt.
Yeah, I think I'd fire that reviewer personally for writing something so extreme (Remove the remote button? Give me a break). Mr. Zilch seems to like him, however.

Personally, I haven't had any volume issues or clipping here and I play it plenty loud. Besides, with all channels driven, you'd be lucky to get 70 watts per channel at most anyway and that's only a 4dB difference (so I can only hit 107dB instead of 111dB per speaker? Ouch).

Quote:
Bottom line, considering the average 8-ohm, 87dB+ speaker on average uses <5W/CH, there's no reason not to use ECO Mode as many of us prefer and will continue to do.
If I had an issue, I'd stop using it. The bottom line is the AVR runs 10-15 degrees cooler on average here (even at IDLE). It's night and day for heat output. Heat kill electronics so unless my speakers start showing signs of clipping, I'm leaving it on.

post #3738 of 4519 Old 02-12-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Opposite Lip Sync Issue

My ongoing issue with the 7012 is that the audio lags the video so the audio delay adjustment obviously does no good. This is going HDMI into a Pioneer Kuro Plasma. I wish there was an actual audio sync adjustment plus or minus like Kodi or VLC or MxPlayer Pro allows. Any ideas?

thx

bob
post #3739 of 4519 Old 02-12-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
My ongoing issue with the 7012 is that the audio lags the video so the audio delay adjustment obviously does no good. This is going HDMI into a Pioneer Kuro Plasma. I wish there was an actual audio sync adjustment plus or minus like Kodi or VLC or MxPlayer Pro allows. Any ideas?

thx

bob
Does this issue present with all sources or just the cable/sat box? If the latter, try simply changing channels as that would work when I was having issues when I was with DirecTV. Otherwise, you may want to try connecting the source directly to the TV and use ARC or optical back to the AVR.
post #3740 of 4519 Old 02-12-2019, 09:46 PM

Does your AVR randomly switch to other sources?

Do you have an Apple TV 4k or otherwise having an issue with the AVR randomly switching to other sources? Forum member ppasteur (owns Apple TV 4k) was able to resolve this issue caused by the ATV by purchasing the following adapter which disconnects the CEC line to the AVR --> https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Ad...rum-convert-20 . Prior to installing the adapter, the issue presented regardless of whether the CEC setting on the ATV was disabled or if the ATV was powered OFF but still connected.
post #3741 of 4519 Old 02-13-2019, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have been rediscovering how much I like SACDs with this 6012 unit. Feeding bitstream from an Oppo 83; and using the pure direct mode. The unit tells me is recognizes the DSD, and it sounds great.

Still figuring out the nuances of the unit. Anybody know offhand whether its best practice to connect the remote out to the input or output of the IR emitter. I know it sounds obvious, but I am running into conflict with my Logitech harmony and my repeater box. So I am trying to figure out best practices for all of this.
post #3742 of 4519 Old 02-14-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post
I have been rediscovering how much I like SACDs with this 6012 unit. Feeding bitstream from an Oppo 83; and using the pure direct mode. The unit tells me is recognizes the DSD, and it sounds great.

Still figuring out the nuances of the unit. Anybody know offhand whether its best practice to connect the remote out to the input or output of the IR emitter. I know it sounds obvious, but I am running into conflict with my Logitech harmony and my repeater box. So I am trying to figure out best practices for all of this.
As noted on p. 79 of the Owner's manual connect the Remote Control (IN) on the AVR to the RC Out on the emitter.
post #3743 of 4519 Old 02-14-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

NR1608 HEOS not accepting Voice Commands

Anyone have Marantz or Denon with Heos? Having some issues with my NR1608. I linked my Chomecast and Amazon Music accounts and am a little confused. I named it "Receiver" in my living room. Does the AVR have a Microphone built in?

1. In my room where I have a Google home I say "play music on my receiver" or "play music on living room receiver". It says I can't do that yet.

2. I cast music from Google to my Receiver and say to my AVR "ok Google volume up" nothing happens

3. For Amazon music I do the same. I say "Alexa blah blah blah blah" nothing happens. According to this is should work. Does an Amazon Dot need to be plugged in near by or does the AVR have voice commands mic built in?
post #3744 of 4519 Old 02-14-2019, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have a question around using Zone2 on my Marantz SR7012. Here is the setup:

* Xfinity box connected to SR7012 via HDMI into the Cabl/Sat input
* BenQ W1070 connected to Monitor1 output
* Hisense 55" LCD connected to either Monitor2 or Zone2 (Bar TV)
* Integra DTR 6.4 connected to Zone2 Pre-out, feeding Zone2 speakers

What I am trying to accomplish is to be able to only turn on Zone2 and watch Hisense LCD and hear the speakers being powered by the Integra. This is my Bar TV setup.

This works IF the BenQ is turned on and Main is playing. If Main Zone is not on, then the Hisense gets the picture, but the ZONE2 audio will not play. I have looked at all settings, made changes, swapped the Hisense from Monitor2 to Zone2 and nothing seems to work. Is this an HDCP issue, or am I overlooking something?

Thanks!

Ted
post #3745 of 4519 Old 02-14-2019, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
Anyone have Marantz or Denon with Heos? Having some issues with my NR1608. I linked my Chomecast and Amazon Music accounts and am a little confused. I named it "Receiver" in my living room. Does the AVR have a Microphone built in?

1. In my room where I have a Google home I say "play music on my receiver" or "play music on living room receiver". It says I can't do that yet.

2. I cast music from Google to my Receiver and say to my AVR "ok Google volume up" nothing happens

3. For Amazon music I do the same. I say "Alexa blah blah blah blah" nothing happens. According to this is should work. Does an Amazon Dot need to be plugged in near by or does the AVR have voice commands mic built in?
You need an Alexa device to speak to:
Then you enable.
post #3746 of 4519 Old 02-14-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
As noted on p. 79 of the Owner's manual connect the Remote Control (IN) on the AVR to the RC Out on the emitter.
Thank you JD. By the way, JD had suggested that I put a front facing fan in the cabinet to avoid any further heat issues (most likely the reason my Denon died) and I think that was a great idea. Thanks for that also.
post #3747 of 4519 Old 02-14-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius65 View Post
I have a question around using Zone2 on my Marantz SR7012. Here is the setup:

* Xfinity box connected to SR7012 via HDMI into the Cabl/Sat input
* BenQ W1070 connected to Monitor1 output
* Hisense 55" LCD connected to either Monitor2 or Zone2 (Bar TV)
* Integra DTR 6.4 connected to Zone2 Pre-out, feeding Zone2 speakers

What I am trying to accomplish is to be able to only turn on Zone2 and watch Hisense LCD and hear the speakers being powered by the Integra. This is my Bar TV setup.

This works IF the BenQ is turned on and Main is playing. If Main Zone is not on, then the Hisense gets the picture, but the ZONE2 audio will not play. I have looked at all settings, made changes, swapped the Hisense from Monitor2 to Zone2 and nothing seems to work. Is this an HDCP issue, or am I overlooking something?

Thanks!

Ted
The Hisense must be connected to the Zone 2 HDMI Monitor output. Zone 2 must be powered ON and the source audio going to Integra must be stereo PCM 2.0 (ie. not DD 5.1).
post #3748 of 4519 Old 02-14-2019, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
The Hisense must be connected to the Zone 2 HDMI Monitor output. Zone 2 must be powered ON and the source audio going to Integra must be stereo PCM 2.0 (ie. not DD 5.1).
I will certainly try that, but help me understand why it would work with Main/BenQ on and not when they are off and only Zone2 on? Thanks!!
post #3749 of 4519 Old 02-14-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

it says that has Chromecast built in assuming I should be able to talk to it like any of my other devices without having to hook up external. It also says it has Alexa built in so again I assume I can just talk to it like I need my Alexa devices.

It's not clear if the system has a built-in microphone to accept commands or if I need to have both an Alexa enabled device like a DOT or Google home nearby to accept the commands that then tell the receiver what to do
post #3750 of 4519 Old 02-14-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius65 View Post
I will certainly try that, but help me understand why it would work with Main/BenQ on and not when they are off and only Zone2 on? Thanks!!
It likely only works when the surround mode "ALL ZONE STEREO" is selected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
atmos , auro3d , bridging channels , clipping , dts:x , issue , Marantz , marantz sr 6012 , marantz sr7012 , sr7012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page