*Official* Marantz 2017 NR1508/1608, SR5012/6012/7012 owner's thread - Page 135 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4078Likes

post #4021 of 4834 Old 03-28-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
If by subjective, you mean audiophiles think they can hear differences in thousand dollar cables, adding stones (Shakti) to the room and painting the edges of CDs with overpriced green markers (CD Stoplight), yes it's very subjective. Companies like Audioquest and Monster have made a lot of money over the years based on that subjectivity. Professional calibration of TVs is pricey, but not fictional. The laws of physics governing digital audio don't bend to the rules of Star Trek with sub-atomic particles audibly changing the sound or perhaps suddenly following the principles of Chi or Feng Shui as the moon phase changes, although people greatly believe in those things too.
I am sad. You have shattered my illusions.

You mean that passive phono cable set that costs hundreds of dollars for a six foot pair and are (I'm already laughing) directional don't do much to improve the sound? But I love the little arrows that point in the direction the sound must flow through those passive wires for best results! And I can't wait for version 2.0, where the manufacturer will specify not only what direction the sound must flow, but also will strongly differentiate between Left and Right cables for spatial clarity and separation.

First I heard about adding stones, though. Gotta go look that up. Currently, I just use the dog's chew toys (BIG dog, so BIG chew toys) to deflect and manipulate the sound in the room. Unfortunately, she keeps insisting on moving them around and reducing their size by, well, chewing on them, so consistency is not the strong suit of the method.

None of this is to say that using sound calibration through Audyssey is bad or wrong. I use it on both my Marantz 1608 and my Denon 4300. But I don't buy directional phono cables, nor power and speaker cables that cost hundreds of dollars. PT Barnum was a genius.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 4834 Old 03-28-2019, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question RE my Marantz SR6012...as has been noted by many, mine runs very hot...I have it in the top spot in my AV rack adjacent to the cooling fans on top but the fans seem pretty weak and they don't seem to cool it down all that much--the rack sits in an alcove built into the wall. I do like to have the volume up with music, movies, etc. and when the volume is up and you adjust the volume, the volume bar frequently just temporarily flashes up on the screen, sometimes followed by eco setting which lasts a bit longer up on the screen. In other words, it behaves a little funny and I'm guessing that is because I am pushing it and it is getting too hot? Should I be looking into getting a cooling fan system in addition to what my rack provides vs. adding a power amplifier, etc. Any recommendations/ideas or examples of what others have done in similar situations would be appreciated...thanks!
post #4023 of 4834 Old 03-28-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandalay7 View Post
Question RE my Marantz SR6012...as has been noted by many, mine runs very hot...I have it in the top spot in my AV rack adjacent to the cooling fans on top but the fans seem pretty weak and they don't seem to cool it down all that much--the rack sits in an alcove built into the wall. I do like to have the volume up with music, movies, etc. and when the volume is up and you adjust the volume, the volume bar frequently just temporarily flashes up on the screen, sometimes followed by eco setting which lasts a bit longer up on the screen. In other words, it behaves a little funny and I'm guessing that is because I am pushing it and it is getting too hot? Should I be looking into getting a cooling fan system in addition to what my rack provides vs. adding a power amplifier, etc. Any recommendations/ideas or examples of what others have done in similar situations would be appreciated...thanks!
High current amps run hot. Check your manual for proper ventilation clearances.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4024 of 4834 Old 03-28-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
Agreed and Same here. The question of audible improvement with higher rez files is a very subjective one, as is (IMHO) the benefit of paying for professionial calibration on your TV. The question here is the limitation Audysee places on higher rez files.
The difference is your "audible improvement" can't be measured within the human hearing range, while TV calibration can, and is, measured within the human visual range. That's the difference between fantasy and fact. Look up placebo effect. Science rules, not audiophools.
m. zillch likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________

Last edited by Augerhandle; 04-01-2019 at 12:28 PM.
post #4025 of 4834 Old 03-28-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22748 Post(s)
Liked: 12391
Quote:
1. To clarify, as noted by many with insufficient ventilation space.
2. As often suggested in the various AVR threads where there is otherwise insufficient ventilation provided, consider purchasing an AC Infinity Aircom fan based on whether you want the air to be exhausted to the rear (S8/T8) or to the front (S10/T10).
post #4026 of 4834 Old 03-28-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketsorain View Post
Hi - and thanks for all the contributions to this and other Marantz threads.

I too was more than a bit surprised to hear about the way Audyssey interacts with Hi-rez content.

So just so I understand correctly, does this mean that for listening to any hi-res content (such as DSD and flac files, as well as SACD and DVD audio discs) that Audyssey will need to be switched off / disabled for that particular listening session?

If so, is there a toggle / mode / profile function or setting which could set Audyssey to 'on' for say movie watching, and then 'off' or equivalent for hi-res music content?

Thanks in advance!
As already noted, regardless of the sampling frequency, you're more likely to notice a negative difference with Audyssey disabled, so no reason to disable it.
bucketsorain likes this.
post #4027 of 4834 Old 03-28-2019, 02:28 PM

This receiver runs hot whether it is in a rack, cabinet, or clear out in the open with nothing on any side of it; a fact that has been noted by many professional reviewers as well. Insufficient ventilation space obviously further exacerbates the problem . That said, a fair amount of money was spent to purchase an av rack with built-in cooling fans to address this as much as possible as well as physically giving it as much space as I can for proper ventilation in the rack itself. The point of the question was whether others (particularly those who had the receiver mounted in an AV rack) were finding they had to take additional steps, spend additional money, etc. (e.g. purchasing a AC Infinity Fan) in order to cool the unit properly.
post #4028 of 4834 Old 03-28-2019, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Cool

Quote:
This receiver runs hot whether it is in a rack, cabinet, or clear out in the open with nothing on any side of it; a fact that has been noted by many professional reviewers as well. Insufficient ventilation space obviously further exacerbates the problem . That said, a fair amount of money was spent to purchase an av rack with built-in cooling fans to address this as much as possible as well as physically giving it as much space as I can for proper ventilation in the rack itself. The point of the question was whether others (particularly those who had the receiver mounted in an AV rack) were finding they had to take additional steps, spend additional money, etc. (e.g. purchasing a AC Infinity Fan) in order to cool the unit properly.
To address your observation about the volume display and Eco display flashing being related to heat, I dont think so. Mine does the same thing and I just turned the Eco setting off. As for the running hot concern, my 5020 did too. I chaulked it up to a nature-of-the-beast thing. As you've already spent a fair amount of money for a ventilated a/v cabinet, dont sweat it.
ArtVandalay7 likes this.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
post #4029 of 4834 Old 03-28-2019, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Had mine in a glass tv stand for the last 6 months, no issues. No additional ventilation added. About an inch gap on all sides. Put my hand on the top and sides and only feels warm, not hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #4030 of 4834 Old 03-28-2019, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The Audyssey limitation is not listed; however, has been discussed for the past 10 years, while the 192kHz is what is listed on p. 303 depending on the file type.
I've been in touch with Chris Kyriakakis, Audyseey founder and he's provided this clarification: Audyseey will in fact process higher rez files up to 192 kHz but the processing requirements necissiate more expensive DSP chips which apparently most all AVR manufacturers are reluctant to absorb. So the practical result is yes, files exceeding 48 kHZ will not be processed with Audyssey on.
bucketsorain likes this.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
post #4031 of 4834 Old 03-28-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
To address your observation about the volume display and Eco display flashing being related to heat, I dont think so. Mine does the same thing and I just turned the Eco setting off. As for the running hot concern, my 5020 did too. I chaulked it up to a nature-of-the-beast thing. As you've already spent a fair amount of money for a ventilated a/v cabinet, dont sweat it.
Thanks Scott, I'll play around with the Eco setting, that's probably it. I run the volume up on this as it's a medium-sized room and I'm driving 3 large front speakers, 2 Atmos speakers, and 2 rear speakers so I'm probably pushing it more than others. Even with well over one inch clearance in a cooling rack, though, as I believe home theater review stated, it definitely runs "Africa hot"
post #4032 of 4834 Old 03-28-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks Scott, I'll play around with the Eco setting, that's probably it. I run the volume up on this as it's a medium-sized room and I'm driving 3 large front speakers, 2 Atmos speakers, and 2 rear speakers so I'm probably pushing it more than others. Even with well over one inch clearance in a cooling rack, though, as I believe home theater review stated, it definitely runs "Africa hot"
Sufficient ventilation requires at least 3-4" clearance above the unit with an open front and back. Anything less is likely to require external fans to ensure a long life of the unit.
post #4033 of 4834 Old 03-28-2019, 03:39 PM

I think I probably have more like 3-4" above the unit, I referenced the one inch clearance since the previous poster said their unit runs only warm with that much clearance.
post #4034 of 4834 Old 03-28-2019, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5379 Post(s)
Liked: 3882
Quote:
I've been in touch with Chris Kyriakakis, Audyseey founder and he's provided this clarification: Audyseey will in fact process higher rez files up to 192 kHz but the processing requirements necissiate more expensive DSP chips which apparently most all AVR manufacturers are reluctant to absorb. So the practical result is yes, files exceeding 48 kHZ will not be processed with Audyssey on.
Thank you for making the effort to contact Chris Kyriakakis, Audyseey founder and audio wiz kid, and getting this on the forum. I had heard it before but couldn't recall the source.
Scott Oakley and bucketsorain like this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 03-28-2019 at 03:50 PM.
post #4035 of 4834 Old 03-30-2019, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just did the Feb19 update on my NR1608. Anyone else notice a huge change in sound levels between shows? If it’s Dolby Digital, sound is great with volume set around 30-35. If I’m streaming anything or watching TV with lower quality sound I have to crank it up to 50+ and the sound is lacking something. I used to only have to turn it up to maybe 40. It’s killing me when my kids change channels/streaming shows and the volume goes crazy. I’ve always noticed the difference when going between sources, ie Apple TV to 4K Blu-ray to PS4, but never had such an issue from show to show.
post #4036 of 4834 Old 04-02-2019, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Dual output trouble

Ok, this one has me puzzled and I apologize in advance if this has been addressed previously.

I'm setting up a new SR7012 and I have an LG 4k HDR LCD smart TV connected to the HDMI 1 output and my Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector connected to HDMI output 2. Everything is fine when viewing the TV but when I want to watch the projector I get screen blanking every 10 or 15 seconds. Sometimes when it goes to black there will be a flash of color near the bottom and eventually after doing this several times it goes totally blank and loses audio as well. It looks like a typical HDMI handshake problem. HDMI output is set to Auto(dual). But here is the curious part...if I leave the TV powered on at the same time then the projector plays fine. Watched an entire movie the other night without so much as a glitch. I have tried every possible setting combination and permutation that I can think of, things like ARC and HDMI control, resolution settings, etc., etc., etc. but the only thing that works is to set the HDMI output to HDMI 2, not both. I have also tried various recommended power up sequences, even did a factory reset on the Marantz to no avail. Input source has no effect. I am flummoxed. If anyone has any tips or has had the same experience I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Maybe I am misinterpreting the function of this setting but it does seem obvious what it should do when set to "Auto", i.e. direct the output to the active device. One of the reasons for buying a new AVR was to simplify my switching scheme to make it easier for other family members to use. If I have to go into settings to change the output then I haven't really gained anything - frustrating.
post #4037 of 4834 Old 04-02-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekdredger View Post
Ok, this one has me puzzled and I apologize in advance if this has been addressed previously.

I'm setting up a new SR7012 and I have an LG 4k HDR LCD smart TV connected to the HDMI 1 output and my Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector connected to HDMI output 2. Everything is fine when viewing the TV but when I want to watch the projector I get screen blanking every 10 or 15 seconds. Sometimes when it goes to black there will be a flash of color near the bottom and eventually after doing this several times it goes totally blank and loses audio as well. It looks like a typical HDMI handshake problem. HDMI output is set to Auto(dual). But here is the curious part...if I leave the TV powered on at the same time then the projector plays fine. Watched an entire movie the other night without so much as a glitch. I have tried every possible setting combination and permutation that I can think of, things like ARC and HDMI control, resolution settings, etc., etc., etc. but the only thing that works is to set the HDMI output to HDMI 2, not both. I have also tried various recommended power up sequences, even did a factory reset on the Marantz to no avail. Input source has no effect. I am flummoxed. If anyone has any tips or has had the same experience I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Maybe I am misinterpreting the function of this setting but it does seem obvious what it should do when set to "Auto", i.e. direct the output to the active device. One of the reasons for buying a new AVR was to simplify my switching scheme to make it easier for other family members to use. If I have to go into settings to change the output then I haven't really gained anything - frustrating.
If the PJ was 4k, there wouldn't likely be an issue. Continue using the "Monitor 2" setting as that is what it is designed for. You can set up separate "Quick Select" buttons for each Monitor output.
post #4038 of 4834 Old 04-02-2019, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I'm using a 7012 and have an overlay question. I did a search and read that I won't get any display when using a 4K Fire Stick unless the signal is going from the Stick to the AVR first. Well my Fire Stick is connected directly to the Media Player HDMI input of my 7012. Shouldn't I be getting the overlay?

Marantz SR7012, LG OLED55C7P, Sony UBP X800
Anthem MCA 525, Panamax M-5400
Kef R5, R2c, Paradigm MilleaniaOne Surrounds/Rear Heights
Kef Q150 Front Heights, HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 dual subs
Running 5.2.4
post #4039 of 4834 Old 04-02-2019, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Dont have a firestick but check under your video settings how the on “screen display “is set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #4040 of 4834 Old 04-02-2019, 08:39 PM

On screen display is turned "On" Thanks for the input.

Running 5.2.4
post #4041 of 4834 Old 04-03-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim4511 View Post
I'm using a 7012 and have an overlay question. I did a search and read that I won't get any display when using a 4K Fire Stick unless the signal is going from the Stick to the AVR first. Well my Fire Stick is connected directly to the Media Player HDMI input of my 7012. Shouldn't I be getting the overlay?
On 1080p video and non-4k DV (volume and info only) yes, but not on 4k DV video which only became possible beginning with the 2018 models.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 04-03-2019 at 11:00 AM.
post #4042 of 4834 Old 04-03-2019, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
If the PJ was 4k, there wouldn't likely be an issue. Continue using the "Monitor 2" setting as that is what it is designed for. You can set up separate "Quick Select" buttons for each Monitor output.
Excellent idea on the "Quick Select". It doesn't really address the root cause but it certainly does alleviate the complexity for family users. I like it. Thank You!
post #4043 of 4834 Old 04-03-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
On 1080p video yes, not on 4k video which only became possible beginning with the 2018 models.
Ok thanks for the clarification.

Running 5.2.4
post #4044 of 4834 Old 04-03-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:
On 1080p video yes, not on 4k video which only became possible beginning with the 2018 models.
I get overlays on 4K HDR10 video on both my SR7010 and SR7012, just not with Dolby Vision-encoded video.
rocky1 likes this.
post #4045 of 4834 Old 04-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
I get overlays on 4K HDR10 video on both my SR7010 and SR7012, just not with Dolby Vision-encoded video.
Oops! Yup, forgot to specifically say DV.
post #4046 of 4834 Old 04-03-2019, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutie04 View Post
Just did the Feb19 update on my NR1608. Anyone else notice a huge change in sound levels between shows? If it’s Dolby Digital, sound is great with volume set around 30-35. If I’m streaming anything or watching TV with lower quality sound I have to crank it up to 50+ and the sound is lacking something. I used to only have to turn it up to maybe 40. It’s killing me when my kids change channels/streaming shows and the volume goes crazy. I’ve always noticed the difference when going between sources, ie Apple TV to 4K Blu-ray to PS4, but never had such an issue from show to show.
Do you happen to be in bi-amp mode? I think the 1608 can do 5.1 that way?

I figured out that my local ABC channel is messing up the Dolby 5.1 broadcasts. National stuff sounds fine, local has zero bass.

Truly bizarre because it only happens to that one channel.
post #4047 of 4834 Old 04-05-2019, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9067.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	2549152

This is my Marantz SR5012 connected to my LG TV. This happens randomly when turned on. When i do a reset, everything seems ok. What could cause this?

I also have a projector in the other monitor out of the Marantz but this never happens.

Im using a monoprice premium certified hdmi cable from Marantz to LG TV.
post #4048 of 4834 Old 04-05-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The pattern appears on the wall below the TV as well. Maybe the sun is reflecting light off something in the room?
DougDingle likes this.

post #4049 of 4834 Old 04-05-2019, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5379 Post(s)
Liked: 3882
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty_88 View Post
Attachment 2549152

This is my Marantz SR5012 connected to my LG TV. This happens randomly when turned on. When i do a reset, everything seems ok. What could cause this?
Flaky HDMI cord that has a borderline gauge for the signal run or with a bad, intermittent, or bent pin.
post #4050 of 4834 Old 04-05-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ratledge View Post
Do you happen to be in bi-amp mode? I think the 1608 can do 5.1 that way?

I figured out that my local ABC channel is messing up the Dolby 5.1 broadcasts. National stuff sounds fine, local has zero bass.

Truly bizarre because it only happens to that one channel.
Never underestimate the technical incompetence of the local channel engineers. They took years to figure out how to deal with HD, but that whole 5.1 thing seems to have many of them stymied.

If there's even an engineer there anymore. A lot of places are now outsourcing that sort of thing to firms that will send someone for a "monthly checkup" because, well, it's all digital, isn't it? No need to tweak anything or check levels or signal paths.

Take heart, though. In a major market like Los Angeles, one of the two local PBS stations, the one that broadcasts the most musical concerts while they're begging for money, thinks the world still uses two channel stereo for music. No amount of emails or phone calls has changed that in close to a decade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
airplay , airplay problems , atmos , auro3d , bridging channels , clipping , dts:x , hdmi arc , issue , Marantz , marantz sr 6012 , marantz sr7012 , sr7012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page