*Official* Marantz 2017 NR1508/1608, SR5012/6012/7012 owner's thread - Page 142 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4078Likes

post #4231 of 4842 Old 05-02-2019, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Based on your non 4k requirement at present, if you can wait a year, the latter.

Also, as a reminder, there is no price discussion in other than the "Deals" sticky thread --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ls-sticky.html
Thanks for the feedback, @jdsmoothie - that is part of what's been nagging at me - if I get an HDMI 2.0a receiver now, by the time I upgrade my TV and BD player in a few years, everything will be HDMI 2.1 (or later) and the SR7012 won't be able to pass the higher bandwidth. I could obviously do then what I'm doing now, which is running video to my TV and audio to my receiver - but it would be great to have everything controlled through one hub. The addition of eARC on the SR7012 could help alleviate this, since I could pass lossless audio back from the TV to the 7012 - but who knows how all this will play out 2 years from now. Timing is everything.

Thanks for the reminder about pricing discussion - I didn't realize that was a no-no, but will respect that going forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 4842 Old 05-03-2019, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
While watching a BlueRay movie tonight my center channel became very muffled out of nowhere - ie...not usable for a movie. The rest of the speakers all sound fine including the sub. I checked all connections for speakers and blue ray. I've rebooted and unplugged the system - no fix.

quick search resolved some similar issues on the SR709 back in 2015.

Any thoughts?

Samsung 82" Q6 Series QLED |Marantz SR7012 | (2) Marantz MM7025 2 channel AMP | Sony UBP-X700 Utra Blu-Ray | RSL (5) CG23 (2) RSL Speedwoofer wireless (2) RSL CG3 (2) RSL C34E| Lutron Caseta dimmers w/ Hub | Panamax M5300-M | Logitech Harmony Elite Controller |

TRICORN all Black Home theatre 14.6 x 15.2 with 8 Trayed ceiling ....
post #4233 of 4842 Old 05-03-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5399 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
When a speaker suddenly gets muffled it often means the tweeter has died or if it is a bi-wireable speaker the connection to the tweeter (HF network) has become loose/dislodged.

The test is to swap the wires from the left speaker to the center speaker to see if it is in the incoming signal or the speaker itself.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4234 of 4842 Old 05-03-2019, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
When a speaker suddenly gets muffled it often means the tweeter has died or if it is a bi-wireable speaker the connection to the tweeter (HF network) has become loose/dislodged.

The test is to swap the wires from the left speaker to the center speaker to see if it is in the incoming signal or the speaker itself.
Thank's, I'll try swapping them out tomorrow

Samsung 82" Q6 Series QLED |Marantz SR7012 | (2) Marantz MM7025 2 channel AMP | Sony UBP-X700 Utra Blu-Ray | RSL (5) CG23 (2) RSL Speedwoofer wireless (2) RSL CG3 (2) RSL C34E| Lutron Caseta dimmers w/ Hub | Panamax M5300-M | Logitech Harmony Elite Controller |

TRICORN all Black Home theatre 14.6 x 15.2 with 8 Trayed ceiling ....
post #4235 of 4842 Old 05-03-2019, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yes. If you refer to p. 175 Owner's manual, you'll note the <RC Source Select> setting factory defaults to "Power On + Source". Apparently at some point you changed it to the alternate setting of "Source Select Only."
Thanks jdsmoothie. You certainly add a lot to these forums (and I have enjoyed being your customer).
post #4236 of 4842 Old 05-06-2019, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I have had the same issue with 2 new SR7012s. I unbox and setup. After setup and I switch to enhanced, I lose the OSD menu and the OSD options. I'm using certified cables from mono price and I used my SR7010 for 2 years, before I started having issues. I used that one on Enhanced and had OSD. If anyone else has had the issue and found a fix, can you please post. I sent the 2 7012s back, but would love to stick with Marantz, if possible. Thinking about trying the Pioneer Elite next, if I can't find a fix. Could it be the cables? When I switch to my 4k blu player, I get a black screen. If I switch to standard, everything is fine, but the AppleTv only displays DV @ 25hz instead of 60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius65 View Post
I have a question on the 4K setting on the Marantz SR 7012. I switched from Standard to Enhanced and I get oddnthings happening with my Sony X700 UHD BluRay player going through SR7012 to my new BenQ HT3550. The projector searches and sometimes finds the player and may play startup, but the the display stops. I noticed this on 4K BumbleBee, but not on 4K John Wick 2. My apple 4K tv and Xfinity box seem fine with this setting. When I switch to Standard setting on SR7012, all is good on yhe Sony player.

Thoughts? What am I missing on Standard if I am feeding 4k and Dolby Atmos?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #4237 of 4842 Old 05-07-2019, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Nedd some help here: I have a SR7012 with the HEOS option that I was using in a separate room under "zone 2" chosen in the app. Everything was ok until coupe of days ago that the sound start to play not only thru "zone 2" speakers but in the "main zone" also, even when only "zone 2" is selected in the app. ANy ideas? thanks in advance
post #4238 of 4842 Old 05-07-2019, 04:41 AM

Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22761 Post(s)
Liked: 12417
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorsan View Post
Nedd some help here: I have a SR7012 with the HEOS option that I was using in a separate room under "zone 2" chosen in the app. Everything was ok until coupe of days ago that the sound start to play not only thru "zone 2" speakers but in the "main zone" also, even when only "zone 2" is selected in the app. ANy ideas? thanks in advance
Which app? The HEOS app or the 2016 Marantz AVR Remote app?

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 05-26-2019 at 04:22 AM.
post #4239 of 4842 Old 05-07-2019, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks. Im talking about the Heos app. In the main page of this app, you have the option to choose wich zone will play (main, 2 or 3), so only the zone selected will play ... until couple of days ago. Now when I choose zone 2, the audio goes to zone 2 AND all speakers of main zone, thats the problem.
post #4240 of 4842 Old 05-07-2019, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello everyone.

I just got my new SR7012 hooked up last night and began hookup testing.

Right now I only have the SL and SR and four Dolby atmos in ceiling speakers hooked up.
I am running the Dolby atmos speakers from the receiver directly and the two surround speakers via the pre-outs using a Parasound amp.

I ran into an issue last night where one of the pre-outs (SL)on the receiver seems to not be sending out a signal. The LED on my amp is green so I think its working ok.
I am still troubleshooting this but what else do I need to check?

I have another smaller marantz amplifier I could use to bypass the parasound. If it does not work as well should I be confident the pre-out on the receiver is bad?

If so what is the turnaround time for repair of the receiver? I have to ship it far away? Are bad pre-outs a common flaw on this receiver?
I will confirm Center, Left and Right and Sub pre-outs are working tonight and report back.

Thanks for any feedback.
post #4241 of 4842 Old 05-07-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by neokeelo View Post
Hello everyone.

I just got my new SR7012 hooked up last night and began hookup testing.

Right now I only have the SL and SR and four Dolby atmos in ceiling speakers hooked up.
I am running the Dolby atmos speakers from the receiver directly and the two surround speakers via the pre-outs using a Parasound amp.

I ran into an issue last night where one of the pre-outs (SL)on the receiver seems to not be sending out a signal. The LED on my amp is green so I think its working ok.
I am still troubleshooting this but what else do I need to check?

I have another smaller marantz amplifier I could use to bypass the parasound. If it does not work as well should I be confident the pre-out on the receiver is bad?

If so what is the turnaround time for repair of the receiver? I have to ship it far away? Are bad pre-outs a common flaw on this receiver?
I will confirm Center, Left and Right and Sub pre-outs are working tonight and report back.

Thanks for any feedback.
First, push and twist on the RCA connection (at both ends) to ensure it is seated properly. Also check the speaker connection, both at the speaker, and the amp. Use the test tone to determine if the pre-out is working. If connections are confirmed ok, but channel is still dead, then yes, plug it into another amp. If it works with the different amp, it's something with the Parasound amp. Report back.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________

Last edited by Augerhandle; 05-07-2019 at 12:25 PM.
post #4242 of 4842 Old 05-07-2019, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello - has anyone experienced problems playing any audio files through the USB port? I am playing FLAC files, and it will generally play 1 or 2 tracks, then just stop. Or I will pick a certain track and it picks another. The USB is formatted with FAT32, which appears to be the only pre-requisite. Any ideas?
post #4243 of 4842 Old 05-08-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
First, push and twist on the RCA connection (at both ends) to ensure it is seated properly. Also check the speaker connection, both at the speaker, and the amp. Use the test tone to determine if the pre-out is working. If connections are confirmed ok, but channel is still dead, then yes, plug it into another amp. If it works with the different amp, it's something with the Parasound amp. Report back.
Augerhandle,

Switching the preout to a different channel on the parasound amp works. Also using another external amp works as well so the receiver is fine. One of my channels on my HCA 2005a Parasound amp is not outputting any signal.
The front display of the amp is showing all channels are lit green with no warnings or anything and it was working a few months ago.

I will call Parasound and ask them if there is anything I can test.

On a side note wow this receiver is HOT!!! Do I need to install a small fan above to circulate air in my rack? It has a good 8 inches above it to vent.

Thanks.

Projector - Sony VPL-HW50ES, 120" 1.3 gain screen., Paradigm Studio Ver 5 ( 60s, 20s, 590, 10s ) SVS NSD-PB12,
post #4244 of 4842 Old 05-08-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 128
May want to check that zone2 is not on. Happened to me once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #4245 of 4842 Old 05-08-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Augerhandle,

On a side note wow this receiver is HOT!!! Do I need to install a small fan above to circulate air in my rack? It has a good 8 inches above it to vent.

Thanks.
Hi Neokeelo,

I recently purchsaed an SR7012 as well, but haven't hooked it up yet, partly out of concern about the heat that this unit generates (which is also a common complaint about similar Denon models). From what I've seen, for those who are concerned about the heat and have a closed cabinet, the AC Infinity Aircom T8 seems to be the "go to" fan to cool off hot receivers. All of the marketing materials for this fan even show it on top of a Marantz receiver - so clearly this is a common issue with these units. The general feedback is that the fans are sturdily built, match well aesthetically, and work great to cool off the receivers - but I've also seen where they can be louder than some would like (depends on how far away you're sitting, whether the cabinet is closed, what you are listening to, how hot your receiver is running, etc.). You just need to make sure you choose a model that vents air the way that works best in your cabinet (rear, front, or overhead exhaust). The other downside is that these units range from $80 to $120 depending on what model you choose - but probably a good investment to keep your gear from overheating.

There seem to be a variety of other things to try to keep the receiver cool - using Eco mode (which limits your power), using external amps to take some load off, etc. If you do some searching around here or on Google you'll find a lot of hits about this - I'm just regurgitating what I've already read, since I haven't fired mine up yet to see how hot it runs.

Otherwise, how are you liking the SR7012?

Demian
post #4246 of 4842 Old 05-08-2019, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Answers:

1. Your center channel speaker is not the problem. Your center channel wiring is not the problem. Your AVR's center channel power amp is not the problem.

2. The center channel processing, wiring, or channel of amplification in the AVR is suspect or the incoming signal source's center channel is distorted. [since this is the only TV show you've noticed it on, plus it was mentioned earlier that there have been other Game of Thrones complaints in another thread (I haven't myself visited), I'm leaning towards that last one.]

So I set my LG TV audio to internal speaker (It was set to HDMI out)which I assume eliminates the AVR signal and played the GOT dialogue section again and the distortion was there through the TV speakers in the exact same places. Does this eliminate the AVR center channel as the culprit? Which leaves the Xfinity source left. If this is the case it is a huge relief.

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
Front L&R-Monitor Audio Silver 300's, Center-MA Silver C350, Surrounds-MA Silver FX
Sub Woofers-Paradigm Reference Millenia (2)
post #4247 of 4842 Old 05-09-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demroyer View Post
Hi Neokeelo,

I recently purchsaed an SR7012 as well, but haven't hooked it up yet, partly out of concern about the heat that this unit generates (which is also a common complaint about similar Denon models). From what I've seen, for those who are concerned about the heat and have a closed cabinet, the AC Infinity Aircom T8 seems to be the "go to" fan to cool off hot receivers. All of the marketing materials for this fan even show it on top of a Marantz receiver - so clearly this is a common issue with these units. The general feedback is that the fans are sturdily built, match well aesthetically, and work great to cool off the receivers - but I've also seen where they can be louder than some would like (depends on how far away you're sitting, whether the cabinet is closed, what you are listening to, how hot your receiver is running, etc.). You just need to make sure you choose a model that vents air the way that works best in your cabinet (rear, front, or overhead exhaust). The other downside is that these units range from $80 to $120 depending on what model you choose - but probably a good investment to keep your gear from overheating.

There seem to be a variety of other things to try to keep the receiver cool - using Eco mode (which limits your power), using external amps to take some load off, etc. If you do some searching around here or on Google you'll find a lot of hits about this - I'm just regurgitating what I've already read, since I haven't fired mine up yet to see how hot it runs.

Otherwise, how are you liking the SR7012?

Demian

It runs great! I finished 8 point calibration last night with amazing results.
Right now I am only using the SR7012 to power four dolby atmos speakers in the celing and the left surround speaker since that channel died on my parasound amp.
It runs pretty hot so i just clipped a $5 low power fan to the rack in the back to push the heat out the front.. My rack is not enclosed so I think it should be fine.
Im going to test some SACD and DVD-A later tonight using the 7.1 channel inputs.

Can anyone confirm if the Dolby atmos speakers are always playing using a DD and DTS 7.1 or you need to have specific Dolby atmos encoded disc player?

Thanks!
post #4248 of 4842 Old 05-09-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It runs great! I finished 8 point calibration last night with amazing results.

Right now I am only using the SR7012 to power four dolby atmos speakers in the celing and the left surround speaker since that channel died on my parasound amp.

It runs pretty hot so i just clipped a $5 low power fan to the rack in the back to push the heat out the front.. My rack is not enclosed so I think it should be fine.

Im going to test some SACD and DVD-A later tonight using the 7.1 channel inputs.

Can anyone confirm if the Dolby atmos speakers are always playing using a DD and DTS 7.1 or you need to have specific Dolby atmos encoded disc player?

Thanks!

Could let us know how you like going thru the 7.1 inputs? I have alot of sacd’s and dvda’s myself. The 7.1 disable audessey. When i compared i seem to like going thru audessey as opposed to the 7.1.. or maybe i have some settings wrong who knows. Either way if you can advise..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #4249 of 4842 Old 05-09-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
My understanding is that if you engage any of the up-mixers (Dolby Surround, DTS: Neural X, or Auro-Matic-3D) with the height speakers in use, then the up-mixer will leverage all available channels for height effects, even if the source is not natively encoded for Atmos or DTS:X. The limitation is that you can't apply the DTS: Neural X or Auro-Matic-3D up-mixer with a Dolby encoded soundtrack - for Dolby encoded discs, you need to use Dolby Surround to upmix. Unless you opt to let your disc player decode the Dolby soundtrack and send it to the receiver as multi-channel LPCM - then you could apply one of the other up-mixers if you prefer.
post #4250 of 4842 Old 05-09-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!
My understanding is that if you engage any of the up-mixers (Dolby Surround, DTS: Neural X, or Auro-Matic-3D) with the height speakers in use, then the up-mixer will leverage all available channels for height effects, even if the source is not natively encoded for Atmos or DTS:X. The limitation is that you can't apply the DTS: Neural X or Auro-Matic-3D up-mixer with a Dolby encoded soundtrack - for Dolby encoded discs, you need to use Dolby Surround to upmix. Unless you opt to let your disc player decode the Dolby soundtrack and send it to the receiver as multi-channel LPCM - then you could apply one of the other up-mixers if you prefer.
The 7012 can use Neural X with Dolby signals directly, although not with the Atmos meta layer (base 7.1 works) Supposedly newer models won't (although I don't think any enforce it yet). It won't use Virtual X with Dolby signals, however. PCM will always work.

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 11-01-19)
post #4251 of 4842 Old 05-09-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
The 7012 can use Neural X with Dolby signals directly, although not with the Atmos meta layer (base 7.1 works) Supposedly newer models won't (although I don't think any enforce it yet). It won't use Virtual X with Dolby signals, however. PCM will always work.
Thanks for the clarification, MagnumX - I thought that the new Dolby restriction had taken effect even on older models via a firmware update - glad to hear that is still an option on the SR7012 for anyone who wants to try it out.
post #4252 of 4842 Old 05-09-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
Thanks for the clarification, MagnumX - I thought that the new Dolby restriction had taken effect even on older models via a firmware update - glad to hear that is still an option on the SR7012 for anyone who wants to try it out.
I won't even use DSU save perhaps for some music as it's so vastly inferior to Neural X, IMO and only that much more so once DTS:X Pro arrives (e.g. On a 15.1-channel system, do you want a movie to use 7 bed channels + 2 overhead arrays or all 9.1.6 channels?). DSU sucks, IMO. &#x1f609;

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 11-01-19)
post #4253 of 4842 Old 05-09-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5399 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG55 View Post
. Does this eliminate the AVR center channel as the culprit? Which leaves the Xfinity source left. If this is the case it is a huge relief.
Yes, it would seem the distortion was embedded in the source signal so there's nothing you as a consumer can do other than to write Xfinity to complain perhaps so they'll be more careful in the future.
PG55 likes this.
post #4254 of 4842 Old 05-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post
Eric are you using premium certified HDMI cables? If not that might be your problem.
Thanks for your reply. I bought some new cables that are suppose to be certified but I will try some different ones just to see.

Eric
ADPT
post #4255 of 4842 Old 05-13-2019, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I have one other question regarding digital input level. Last night I watched game of thrones from the roku and had to turn up the volume much higher than normally.
Does the SR7012 have a option in the menu to raise the digital input volume for each source?

On my Integra it was called intellivolume.

Thanks!
post #4256 of 4842 Old 05-13-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I have one other question regarding digital input level. Last night I watched game of thrones from the roku and had to turn up the volume much higher than normally.
Does the SR7012 have a option in the menu to raise the digital input volume for each source?

On my Integra it was called intellivolume.

Thanks!
Not exactly sure its what your looking for but in the setup menu under "inputs"there is a "source level" that can be adjusted.
neokeelo and m. zillch like this.

post #4257 of 4842 Old 05-13-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
Not exactly sure its what your looking for but in the setup menu under "inputs"there is a "source level" that can be adjusted.
got it thanks!

Projector - Sony VPL-HW50ES, 120" 1.3 gain screen., Paradigm Studio Ver 5 ( 60s, 20s, 590, 10s ) SVS NSD-PB12,
post #4258 of 4842 Old 05-13-2019, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Center Channel Settings

Hello,

I am swapping out my Mythos 9 center channel for a CLR3000 which has a 150W Amp with a 10" Subwoofer built in. I have never had a center with a sub built in. I have a 15" HSU sealed sub which I will keep. I have not run Audyssey yet but wondering what options to choose for the AVR setup beside what Audyssey recommends. I want to get the most from the two 6.5" mids and the 10" subwoofer. I understand I may have to experiment given the room size and acoustics but wondering if anyone has any experience with a center with a subwoofer.
Options:
1- Set the center to small with a 40hz crossover
2-Set the center to small with a 80hz crossover
3-Set the center to large-Does the crossover matter if it is set to large?

Thanks,
PG55

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
Front L&R-Monitor Audio Silver 300's, Center-MA Silver C350, Surrounds-MA Silver FX
Sub Woofers-Paradigm Reference Millenia (2)
post #4259 of 4842 Old 05-13-2019, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22761 Post(s)
Liked: 12417
Quote:
Hello,

I am swapping out my Mythos 9 center channel for a CLR3000 which has a 150W Amp with a 10" Subwoofer built in. I have never had a center with a sub built in. I have a 15" HSU sealed sub which I will keep. I have not run Audyssey yet but wondering what options to choose for the AVR setup beside what Audyssey recommends. I want to get the most from the two 6.5" mids and the 10" subwoofer. I understand I may have to experiment given the room size and acoustics but wondering if anyone has any experience with a center with a subwoofer.
Options:

Thanks,
PG55
Just as is generally recommended when the Front L/R speakers have built-in subs and there is a dedicated capable sub in the setup …. set the speakers to SMALL/80Hz after running Audyssey.
PG55 likes this.
post #4260 of 4842 Old 05-13-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hello,

Options:

Thanks,
PG55

Just keep in mind if you follow JDSmoothie's advice (which is "usually" correct for the best result with most setups), you subwoofer in the center basically will just sit there, unused. My advice (since it absolutely will not hurt anything) is TRY IT with something using some bass (probably hard to find bass in the center to begin with) and see which result you like better. I use my rear X1Ts at 40Hz since the room's bass mode is poor back there and it makes a big difference for the rear seat. In other words, generic advice that tries to apply to everyone and everything is rarely correct 100% of the time. In fact, the most common advice I've seen to reduce room modes (beyond bass traps and such) is to have as many subs in the room as possible. If you had 7 full range 20Hz-20kHz speakers running full range, you will likely have LESS room modes than using just one subwoofer. Something to consider beyond what's "generally" recommended. However, most people do not have full range speakers of that caliber and subs are designed for that kind of operation.
Pfeffernuss and PG55 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
airplay , airplay problems , atmos , auro3d , bridging channels , clipping , dts:x , hdmi arc , issue , Marantz , marantz sr 6012 , marantz sr7012 , sr7012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page