*Official* Marantz 2017 NR1508/1608, SR5012/6012/7012 owner's thread - Page 151 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4091Likes

post #4501 of 5036 Old 07-14-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23418 Post(s)
Liked: 12871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
I am using Zone 2 audio from an SR7012 to two outdoor speakers. When I start Zone 2, the audio from main speakers changes (less sub activity). Does anyone know a reference in the SR7012 manual which defines which audio processing is used when Zone 2 is activated? I cant seem to find that out in any of the tables.

Thanks,
Scott
Zone 2 is only stereo 2.0 and therefore doesn't use sub LFE so not sure why you're experiencing this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 5036 Old 07-14-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Zone 2 is only stereo 2.0 and therefore doesn't use sub LFE so not sure why you're experiencing this issue.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I will continue to investigate and report back.

LG 2019 65" C9 OLED
Marantz SR-7012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub Rythmik F12 Sub
TiVO Bolt
post #4503 of 5036 Old 07-14-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool

Quote:
...I also posted this question the Plasma Thread...Posting it here in case there's some setting on the Marantz I'm missing...

My TC-P55VT60 is connected to my Marantz SR7012 via HDMI cable. A TiVO is connected to the Marantz via Cable/SAT input on the Marantz. All works fine when The Monitor Out on the Marantz is connected to the TC-P55VT60's HDMI 3 input but when I connect it to HDMI 2 (ARC) to take advantage of ARC (the receiver is ARC capable), I get audio but no video.

Is it possible the HDMI 2 on the TC-P55VT60 has failed? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Scott
Just to close the loop on this, I determined that the HDMI2 input on the Panasonic is inopperative; probably due to a storm way back when. I'm now using HDMI3 with an optical connection back to the 7012. All is well except some lip synching issure.

LG 2019 65" C9 OLED
Marantz SR-7012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
TiVO Bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4504 of 5036 Old 07-14-2019, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbAndSkills View Post
I am trying to do an 11.1 setup, but I am using an old Denon 5.1 receiver to power the surround back speakers. Does anyone have an idea if I should run the rca’s to a normal input(cd) or into the ext-in plugs? I’ve tried both but no luck. What am I missing? Thanks
I am doing the same thing with my gear, and it seems to work really well using the Marantz for 9 channels, and my old Denon receiver to power the remaining 2 channels. Here is what I did to make mine work - I assume your steps would be roughly the same:

1. Use RCA cables to connect the Marantz pre-amp outputs for the channels you want externally amplified (Surround Back, you said) to the Front left/right External inputs on your Denon receiver
2. Connect your Surround Back speakers to the Front channel speaker terminals on your Denon
3. Optionally configure the speaker settings in your Denon to only use the Front left/right channels (i.e. turn off all other amp channels in the Speaker settings menu) and confirm that the channel levels for your Front channels is set to 0.0 (in the Channel Level menu) - this will allow the Marantz to control the trim level for these channels (step 7 below)
4. Choose an input that you want to use on the Denon - it could be anything, but I used the CD input. Optionally you can rename the input to something else if your Denon supports that feature - I called mine "Ext Amp" just to avoid confusion about what that input is doing
5. Configure the input on the Denon to use the External In connections (you may have to toggle the settings for the input between Digital, Analog, and Ext In until you reach the Ext In setting). This tells the Denon to use the signals from the External In cables for this input
6. Set the volume on the Denon to either 80 or 0.0, depending on how you have your volume scale configured (mine is set to 0.0). Optionally configure your Denon to set the main zone volume to 0.0 when you turn on the receiver, if your Denon supports that feature (this makes sure that the volume is set correctly every time you turn on the Denon). You don't ever want to mess with the volume on the Denon after this - you'll do all volume adjustments through the Marantz
6. Change the speaker setting on the Marantz to indicate that you are using an 11.1 channel layout, and that the Surround Back channels are the ones being pre-amped. Go into the Channel Level settings of the Marantz to validate that you are getting sound out of the Surround Back speakers - if so, this will let you know that everything is connected properly, even if the volume of the externally amped Surround Back speakers doesn't quite match the other channels
7. Re-run Audyssey on the Marantz so that it can properly set the trim level for the speakers being amped through the Denon, and to apply any necessary room correction to those speakers - this will ensure that everything is properly level matched
8. Test out some 11.1 demo material (either native 11.1 tracks or by using one of the up-mixers in the Marantz) - if everything worked, it should sound amazing!
9. If all is good after this, and you like how it is working, you can optionally lock the settings on the Denon so that your settings don't get inadvertently changed in the future

As I read this back, it sounds complicated - hopefully it makes sense to you. Good luck with your setup!
Scott Oakley likes this.
post #4505 of 5036 Old 07-15-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just bought a SR6012 receiver.

The problem is...

If as a test bench I place the AVR on the floor and on top of it place a turned off HTPC. Yes, the PC is turned off, so no heat generated there.
Then I can run the AVR for around 20mins from cold before it starts to emit painful static noise with metallic sounding voices out of all 5 speakers. Sound source is spotify. It happens on any sound source.
And sound level is only about 20-30%, it makes no difference it its all turned down or not.

Now, during this god awful static noise if I take a custom 12v 12cm fan and place it around the side or top of the AVR, then the static goes away asap. Although the audio is then gone as well. I just need to power cycle the unit in order to regain sound. And then I can start over.
If I keep the fan spinning, then no problem. It plays for hours.
So it is heat related.

I need the PC on top of the AVR as they fit my furniture this way.

It seems the AVR is equipped with an internal fan, but it just sits there doing exactly nothing ??? Why doesnt it start ?

To me it looks like a bad unit doesn't it ?
If it was too hot because of playing too loud etc. then I guess it would turn off as a means of protecting itself ?
But static noise in all speakers at so low sound level ?

My older yamaha AVR didn't have these issues. It even worked fine a very small space.

Can anyone shed some light on this before I start a RMA case ?
post #4506 of 5036 Old 07-16-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool SR7012 - Audio Sync Issue

Ok, here's another anomoly...

Panasonic plasma connected to SR7012. When I select Apps, Amazon Prime Video on the Panasonic, I select TV Audio on the 7012 getting audio back to the receiver from the TV via optical. There is a slight audio sync issue. I cant get to Settings on the 7012 to adjust audio. Since audio sync is by Input, where do I go to adjust this (which Input)?

Thanks,
Scott

LG 2019 65" C9 OLED
Marantz SR-7012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
TiVO Bolt
post #4507 of 5036 Old 07-16-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

Panasonic plasma connected to SR7012. When I select Apps, Amazon Prime Video on the Panasonic, I select TV Audio on the 7012 getting audio back to the receiver from the TV via optical. There is a slight audio sync issue. I cant get to Settings on the 7012 to adjust audio. Since audio sync is by Input, where do I go to adjust this (which Input)?

Thanks,
Scott
Amazon Prime on a Panny Plasma ??

bob
post #4508 of 5036 Old 07-16-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Quote:

Thanks,
Scott
I don't know about the 7012, but be aware that audio can only ever be delayed (never advanced).

So if your audio is already behind the video, you can normally only delay it further.

You have to look for a different solution unless your 7012 and/or Panasonic has some audio delay already dialed in in a menu setting that can be dialed out.
Scott Oakley likes this.
post #4509 of 5036 Old 07-16-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Thanks,
Scott
TV Audio. Ensure the remote has "AVR" selected and not "TV."
post #4510 of 5036 Old 07-16-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibman2 View Post
Just bought a SR6012 receiver.

The problem is...

If as a test bench I place the AVR on the floor and on top of it place a turned off HTPC. Yes, the PC is turned off, so no heat generated there.
Then I can run the AVR for around 20mins from cold before it starts to emit painful static noise with metallic sounding voices out of all 5 speakers. Sound source is spotify. It happens on any sound source.
And sound level is only about 20-30%, it makes no difference it its all turned down or not.

Now, during this god awful static noise if I take a custom 12v 12cm fan and place it around the side or top of the AVR, then the static goes away asap. Although the audio is then gone as well. I just need to power cycle the unit in order to regain sound. And then I can start over.
If I keep the fan spinning, then no problem. It plays for hours.
So it is heat related.

I need the PC on top of the AVR as they fit my furniture this way.

It seems the AVR is equipped with an internal fan, but it just sits there doing exactly nothing ??? Why doesnt it start ?

To me it looks like a bad unit doesn't it ?
If it was too hot because of playing too loud etc. then I guess it would turn off as a means of protecting itself ?
But static noise in all speakers at so low sound level ?

My older yamaha AVR didn't have these issues. It even worked fine a very small space.

Can anyone shed some light on this before I start a RMA case ?
Find another location for the HTPC. Not only should there be nothing placed on top of the AVR to allow for proper ventilation, there should be at least 3-4" clearance above the AVR.

An alternative to a new location is to purchase an AC Infinity Aircom S8/T8 (1.5"H) to place on top of the AVR which exhausts the warm air to the rear (S10/T10 would exhaust to the front) and then you can place the HTPC on top of the AC Infinity.
post #4511 of 5036 Old 07-16-2019, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Find another location for the HTPC. Not only should there be nothing placed on top of the AVR to allow for proper ventilation, there should be at least 3-4" clearance above the AVR.

An alternative to a new location is to purchase an AC Infinity Aircom S8/T8 (1.5"H) to place on top of the AVR which exhausts the warm air to the rear (S10/T10 would exhaust to the front) and then you can place the HTPC on top of the AC Infinity.
ok.. Will look into some cooling options.
It still baffles me as to why the builtin fan is doing nothing ?
post #4512 of 5036 Old 07-16-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibman2 View Post
ok.. Will look into some cooling options.
It still baffles me as to why the builtin fan is doing nothing ?
The fan is only designed to power on if the internal temp reaches 158F which generally is likely never to happen.

Bottom line, if you restrict the airflow from the top of the AVR, doing so will quickly reduce the life of the AVR.
post #4513 of 5036 Old 07-16-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Amazon Prime on a Panny Plasma ??

bob
Yes.

LG 2019 65" C9 OLED
Marantz SR-7012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
TiVO Bolt
post #4514 of 5036 Old 07-16-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Add Speakers?

7012, here. I'm happy with my 5.1 setup and obtained 2 rear surround speakers that I want to add. Can I just change the config to 7.1 and *not* have to run the calibration again? I've finally got all my settings dialed in and I know I can save them but not sure it it really saves everything or just the EQ and levels? I'd really like to just add the extra speakers and dial them in myself. Can I do that?

bob
post #4515 of 5036 Old 07-16-2019, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
4 hdmi ports stopped working I’ve tried unplugging for 6 hours and reset settings but only got back one hdmi port. I using 4 5 port hdmi switch boxes for the hdmi ports that work. I don’t want to mail this to denon repair store then I’ll be without a receiver for 3 weeks.

How I access the hdmi diagnostic menu on marantz 6012 receiver?
post #4516 of 5036 Old 07-16-2019, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hello AVS Members,

I'm helping a friend setup his new SR7012. Below is his equipment list.

Samsung 65" Q9 QLED
Samsung UHD Blu-ray player
Wavecable HD cable box (DMS2004UHD)
Oppo DV-980H

The SR7012 has the latest firmware update installed as well as the TV and Disk players.

I've tried hooking up via HDMI Monitor 1(ARC) from the 7012 to the Samsung Q9. I've also tried turning off ARC and HDMI Control. Additionally, I've tried connecting the 7012 to the Samsung Q9 via HDMI Monitor 2.

All of these solutions work sporadically. I get video and sound on the HDMI 1 input (Cable/Sat). I also get video/audio when switching inputs from the cable/sat HDMI 1 input to the DVD (OPPO) HDMI 2, then from HDMI 2 to HDMI 3 (Samsung Blu-ray). They all switch and display Video and Audio properly.

The problem comes in when I switch back to the HDMI 1 cable/sat input. I get video but no audio. Power cycling and turning on the receiver before the TV doesn't solve it neither does turning on the TV first then the receiver. Unplugging everything for a couple of minutes and powering back up doesn't fix it either. Video but no sound prevails.

If I go into the Samsung TV setup menu under sound\expert settings and toggle the HDMI input sound from PCM to Bitstream it fixes the problem until I try to go back to cable TV input HDMI 1 from any other source. Toggling back from Bitstream to PCM will bring the sound back again.

Previously, before the Samsung TV he had a Yamaha RX-V385. He did not have any of these issues using the same HDMI cables that are now hooked up to the Marantz.

I did replace the ARC\Monitor 1 cable with Premium Certified HDMI Cable. The rest of the HDMI cables are not premium certified HDMI cables.

I've thought about changing all the cables to premium certified HDMI cables but I would think that this issue would have surfaced with the Yamaha in the chain if it was a cable issue. All the current cables are 6 foot cables. It seems odd that there was no problem with Yamaha but there is with the way more expensive Marantz.

Any ideas?
post #4517 of 5036 Old 07-17-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
7012, here. I'm happy with my 5.1 setup and obtained 2 rear surround speakers that I want to add. Can I just change the config to 7.1 and *not* have to run the calibration again? I've finally got all my settings dialed in and I know I can save them but not sure it it really saves everything or just the EQ and levels? I'd really like to just add the extra speakers and dial them in myself. Can I do that?

bob
Unfortunately no. As soon as new speakers/sub are introduced into a configuration, Audyssey is disabled.
post #4518 of 5036 Old 07-17-2019, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch57 View Post
Hello AVS Members,

I'm helping a friend setup his new SR7012. Below is his equipment list.

Samsung 65" Q9 QLED
Samsung UHD Blu-ray player
Wavecable HD cable box (DMS2004UHD)
Oppo DV-980H

The SR7012 has the latest firmware update installed as well as the TV and Disk players.

I've tried hooking up via HDMI Monitor 1(ARC) from the 7012 to the Samsung Q9. I've also tried turning off ARC and HDMI Control. Additionally, I've tried connecting the 7012 to the Samsung Q9 via HDMI Monitor 2.

All of these solutions work sporadically. I get video and sound on the HDMI 1 input (Cable/Sat). I also get video/audio when switching inputs from the cable/sat HDMI 1 input to the DVD (OPPO) HDMI 2, then from HDMI 2 to HDMI 3 (Samsung Blu-ray). They all switch and display Video and Audio properly.

The problem comes in when I switch back to the HDMI 1 cable/sat input. I get video but no audio. Power cycling and turning on the receiver before the TV doesn't solve it neither does turning on the TV first then the receiver. Unplugging everything for a couple of minutes and powering back up doesn't fix it either. Video but no sound prevails.

If I go into the Samsung TV setup menu under sound\expert settings and toggle the HDMI input sound from PCM to Bitstream it fixes the problem until I try to go back to cable TV input HDMI 1 from any other source. Toggling back from Bitstream to PCM will bring the sound back again.

Previously, before the Samsung TV he had a Yamaha RX-V385. He did not have any of these issues using the same HDMI cables that are now hooked up to the Marantz.

I did replace the ARC\Monitor 1 cable with Premium Certified HDMI Cable. The rest of the HDMI cables are not premium certified HDMI cables.

I've thought about changing all the cables to premium certified HDMI cables but I would think that this issue would have surfaced with the Yamaha in the chain if it was a cable issue. All the current cables are 6 foot cables. It seems odd that there was no problem with Yamaha but there is with the way more expensive Marantz.

Any ideas?
Replace all HDMI cables with "Premium" certified cables. Does the issue present with 4k and 1080p video? Has the <4k Signal Format> setting been changed to "Enhanced"?

Try simply changing cable stations and then returning to the original station which can often correct the HDMI handshake issue.
post #4519 of 5036 Old 07-17-2019, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREF0X View Post
4 hdmi ports stopped working I’ve tried unplugging for 6 hours and reset settings but only got back one hdmi port. I using 4 5 port hdmi switch boxes for the hdmi ports that work. I don’t want to mail this to denon repair store then I’ll be without a receiver for 3 weeks.

How I access the hdmi diagnostic menu on marantz 6012 receiver?
Was there a recent thunderstorm or perhaps a voltage surge that could have taken out the HDMI inputs?

Try doing a few microprocessor resets in a row (ie. 4-5) as sometimes that has been known to resolve issues not otherwise resolved with a single reset.

Otherwise, when a unit is sent to the Marantz factory repair facility (ie. United Radio, Syracuse, NY), the turn around time can be very quick (a matter of days).
post #4520 of 5036 Old 07-17-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool

Quote:
TV Audio. Ensure the remote has "AVR" selected and not "TV."
I think I know what you mean by this but: the last thing I hit on the Marantz remote is TV Audio in the upper right hand corner. I hit this to get audio back to the 7012. Therefore I assume the remote is in TV mode. How do I get it back to AVR mode?

LG 2019 65" C9 OLED
Marantz SR-7012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
TiVO Bolt
post #4521 of 5036 Old 07-17-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately no. As soon as new speakers/sub are introduced into a configuration, Audyssey is disabled.
I usually don't run Audyssey. I just want to hear my setup with the extra speakers. Can I do that w/o running Audyssey?

thx

bob
post #4522 of 5036 Old 07-17-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Quote:
I think I know what you mean by this but: the last thing I hit on the Marantz remote is TV Audio in the upper right hand corner. I hit this to get audio back to the 7012. Therefore I assume the remote is in TV mode. How do I get it back to AVR mode?
The MAIN button, next to the POWER button.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #4523 of 5036 Old 07-17-2019, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Replace all HDMI cables with "Premium" certified cables. Does the issue present with 4k and 1080p video? Has the <4k Signal Format> setting been changed to "Enhanced"?

Try simply changing cable stations and then returning to the original station which can often correct the HDMI handshake issue.

I will replace all the HDMI cables with premium certified cables.

It presents itself on numerous signals.

I have changed the 4K Signal Format to Enhanced and Standard. The problem is random.

Yesterday I got it working so he could at least watch TV by not switching to any other input but the Cable box and HEOS. Those both worked. Then he called this morning and had no video or audio. I had him power off the surge protector where everything is plugged in for a minute or so. once he powered everything back up he got video and sound again.

I've been reading a host of these HDMI issues with the Samsung TVs. Is this a trend with Samsung? I also heard that Samsung is also employing their own CEC algorithm which has been causing issues with Handshakes between devices.
post #4524 of 5036 Old 07-17-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I usually don't run Audyssey. I just want to hear my setup with the extra speakers. Can I do that w/o running Audyssey?

thx

bob
Sure.

The general rules are that in order to have it enabled, you have to run a few calibration passes with the supplied mike in different positions. Once it's done, it's enabled. If you then change speaker configurations in Setup for any reason, it disables itself until you run the calibration passes again.

If it's not enabled, you can change speaker configurations without affecting it.
post #4525 of 5036 Old 07-17-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
The MAIN button, next to the POWER button.
Ok, just tried that. I remote's AVR light does indeed light up when I press SETUP or OPTIONS but there's no 7012 display. When I return to CBL/SAT the 7012's Menu is displaying. Therefore the 7012's GUI does not display on the TV when I'm in TV Audio mode (viewing the TV's content).

Additionally, when in TV Audio mode, the 7012's remote's VOLUME works but there's no display of it.

So, the 7012's remote is communicating with the 7012 when MAIN is pressed but I cant tell that it is via a display.

I'm confused...

LG 2019 65" C9 OLED
Marantz SR-7012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
TiVO Bolt
post #4526 of 5036 Old 07-17-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, just tried that. I remote's AVR light does indeed light up when I press SETUP or OPTIONS but there's no 7012 display. When I return to CBL/SAT the 7012's Menu is displaying. Therefore the 7012's GUI does not display on the TV when I'm in TV Audio mode (viewing the TV's content).

Additionally, when in TV Audio mode, the 7012's remote's VOLUME works but there's no display of it.

So, the 7012's remote is communicating with the 7012 when MAIN is pressed but I cant tell that it is via a display.

I'm confused...
The HDMI is working TV->AVR, thus no display on the TV. Open the AVR's door and read from the front display of the AVR

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #4527 of 5036 Old 07-17-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
The HDMI is working TV->AVR, thus no display on the TV. Open the AVR's door and read from the front display of the AVR
Thank you. I did that. The window only shows "TV Audio"

LG 2019 65" C9 OLED
Marantz SR-7012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
TiVO Bolt
post #4528 of 5036 Old 07-17-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you. I did that. The window only shows "TV Audio"
Correct, and the window changes according to what menu choices you make. I tested it on mine, and got the info screen when I pressed the INFO button.

post #4529 of 5036 Old 07-17-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Setup is in the bedroom, a TiVo Mini locked to 1080i output feeding the 1608. The Mini is a network wired remote for the main TiVo which gives me access to all the live cable channels and recordings from the main unit. I have four Minis scattered through the house connected to the main TiVo.

Occasionally, if I pause and then resume the Mini, or if I switch what the Mini is doing from live cable feeds to playback of recorded material (and vice-versa) there will be no audio from the 1608.

The Info screen shows Dolby 5.1 coming in, and 5.1.2 (with the upmixer enabled) feeding the speakers, but there is no sound.

I have stored the "watch the TiVo" settings in the Smart Select 1 slot, and if I push that button while I have no sound, the sound returns, so I do have a workaround but it is cumbersome (and annoys my wife when she's watching alone). Also, switching to a different source on the 1608 and then switching back to the TiVo will restore sound most (but not all) of the time. The Smart Select 1 button works 100% of the time.

I moved the TiVo HDMI cable to the input closest to the output, changed the HDMI cable, unplugged the 1608 overnight as a soft reset, and even swapped in a Mini from another room, but the problem persists. I have had the 1608 for about a year, and it replaced a 1604 that I had for years and never had this problem. I seem to remember that maybe it started after some update or another, but I could be mistaken since the problem is intermittent.

Any ideas what else I could try?
Bump.

No one with even a guess that it might be space aliens having a laugh at my expense?
post #4530 of 5036 Old 07-17-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Setup is in the bedroom, a TiVo Mini locked to 1080i output feeding the 1608. The Mini is a network wired remote for the main TiVo which gives me access to all the live cable channels and recordings from the main unit. I have four Minis scattered through the house connected to the main TiVo.

Occasionally, if I pause and then resume the Mini, or if I switch what the Mini is doing from live cable feeds to playback of recorded material (and vice-versa) there will be no audio from the 1608.

The Info screen shows Dolby 5.1 coming in, and 5.1.2 (with the upmixer enabled) feeding the speakers, but there is no sound.

I have stored the "watch the TiVo" settings in the Smart Select 1 slot, and if I push that button while I have no sound, the sound returns, so I do have a workaround but it is cumbersome (and annoys my wife when she's watching alone). Also, switching to a different source on the 1608 and then switching back to the TiVo will restore sound most (but not all) of the time. The Smart Select 1 button works 100% of the time.

I moved the TiVo HDMI cable to the input closest to the output, changed the HDMI cable, unplugged the 1608 overnight as a soft reset, and even swapped in a Mini from another room, but the problem persists. I have had the 1608 for about a year, and it replaced a 1604 that I had for years and never had this problem. I seem to remember that maybe it started after some update or another, but I could be mistaken since the problem is intermittent.

Any ideas what else I could try?
This is a very common HDMI handshake issue that has been around ever since HDMI was first released over 10 years ago. Continue the work arounds you are already doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
airplay , airplay problems , atmos , auro3d , bridging channels , clipping , distortion , dts:x , hdmi arc , issue , Marantz , marantz sr 6012 , marantz sr7012 , receivers , sr7012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page