*Official* Marantz 2017 NR1508/1608, SR5012/6012/7012 owner's thread - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4078Likes

post #4591 of 4842 Old 08-03-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
The owner's manual makes zero mention of needing a fan and if you follow their placement guidelines you shouldn't need one. [Enclosed cabinets is a different story.] Think about it: the vast majority of consumers don't use one, nor does Marantz suggest owners should buy one, yet they can successfully market this unit with a 3 year warranty. How can that be possible? So let's look at the possibilities:

A
. Amplifiers aren't harmed by heat in their first, second, or third year but then they blow up in their 4th year or later.
B. Marantz is brand new to making amplifiers and doesn't know that they get hot, which kills them, so that's why the manual doesn't mention using an after market fan and they, Marantz, should expect to have to cover a huge amount of warranty repairs due to their blunder. Maybe they'll learn their lesson and suggest fans or reduce the warranty in the future, since they are brand new to this stuff.
C. Amplifiers, much like a car's engine compartment, get hot but they are built to withstand it.

Occum's Razor my friend.
My choice would be "A"

Quote:
Psst: Marantz has been in business since 1953 and know their stuff.
And yet, they (along with their brethren at Denon) continue to be clueless in properly processing HD and UHD video, or how to make an attractive overlay GUI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4842 Old 08-03-2019, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hi, i hook up a yamaha rs700 to the marantz 5012. I connected to the main in of yamaha and to the front pre out of the marantz. So now i want to know to setup the marantz configuration. Can you help me??
post #4593 of 4842 Old 08-03-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5399 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunksleo View Post
Hi, i hook up a yamaha rs700 to the marantz 5012. I connected to the main in of yamaha and to the front pre out of the marantz. So now i want to know to setup the marantz configuration. Can you help me??
I doubt there will be much of an audible difference, but as I understand it you want to use the Yamaha RS700 as a "power amp" connected to the SR5012's preouts. To do this connect the front L/R RCA pre-outs of the SR5012 to any line level in on the RS700 such as "CD". Put the volume on the Yamaha to 50% of maximum, or what ever seems to closely match the same volume you get out of the Marantz's own amp when connected to those speakers in that room, select the input you are using obviously [CD], and then run Audyssey with the microphone on the Marantz. Leave all the controls on the Yamaha alone and at their bypassed or neutral settings during this calibration test.

If Audyssey complains that the front speakers are "out of range", either too high or too low [I'm guessing it "+12dB" or "-12dB" might be displayed] then you may need to tweak the master volume on the Yamaha to bring it up or down to a more comfortable level for your preouts.. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4594 of 4842 Old 08-03-2019, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22761 Post(s)
Liked: 12417
Quote:
To what end? Both models are 100W into 2CH and there is no further expansion beyond 7.1 or 5.1.2 processing so there's not much to be gained except taking up space in your main zone setup. You may be better served using it as a Zone 2 amp powering speakers in another room (ie. connecting it to the Zone 2 pre-outs on the SR5012).
Trunksleo likes this.
post #4595 of 4842 Old 08-04-2019, 03:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemilleresq View Post
New to the Marantz fold with an SR7012 (thank you Accessories4less), I’️ve read the roughly 4600 posts here, the recommendation is for the AC Infinity cooling fan, at the end of the day does their fan provide better cooling than a 17” laptop fan place above the AVR to pull air out?

Thoughts?

Thanks.
I just picked up a T9 from B&H on sale @ $30 off. Cheap insurance and looks cool (pun intended). But I'm installing my receiver in an enclosed cabinet with a glass door so heat will definitely be an issue for me. I'd only consider not using the AC Infinity if it sat on top of the cabinet.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._receiver.html
m. zillch likes this.

Marantz SR7013
Polk Signature S60's
Polk S30
Polk S15's
Polk HTS12's
post #4596 of 4842 Old 08-04-2019, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Got any ideas on what's going on with my marantz

I am running a Marantz NR 1608 receiver in my living room setup. Recently, I took everything apart to paint my living room and mount my TV on the wall. When I put my equipment back together, I did a quick check to make sure all the speakers were connected. I went through the test tone and when I got to the right surround speaker I got nothing. But while a YouTube video was playing through my roku, sound was coming through that speaker. I went through the different surround sound modes, including 5 channel stereo, and sound came out that speaker. So I checked the test tone under manual audyssey again and I got nothing from that speaker.

I haven't looked deeper into what's going on, yet. I was trying to see if anyone had any ideas.

YOU ARE HERE! Life EXISTS and Identity! That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play goes on and YOU... may contribute a verse. ......what will your verse be?
post #4597 of 4842 Old 08-04-2019, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2209 Post(s)
Liked: 1460
make sure you have your speaker plugged into the surround channels, not surround back.

Afro GT
post #4598 of 4842 Old 08-04-2019, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yesterday and today my 7012 when i watch netflix on my sony z9F and i go back to TV my screen is blank!!! I need to press the cablebox button on my Maranta receiver, normal operation it goes back to tv automatically..

Anthing I can do to correct my marantz? This morning when i turn on the tv it was blank with no cablebox signal and I had to press cablebox on my avr remote...When I powered down the tv i was on cablebox not on netflix

AVR is on passthrough for all these circumstances
post #4599 of 4842 Old 08-05-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post
Yesterday and today my 7012 when i watch netflix on my sony z9F and i go back to TV my screen is blank!!! I need to press the cablebox button on my Maranta receiver, normal operation it goes back to tv automatically..

Anthing I can do to correct my marantz? This morning when i turn on the tv it was blank with no cablebox signal and I had to press cablebox on my avr remote...When I powered down the tv i was on cablebox not on netflix

AVR is on passthrough for all these circumstances

Are you using premium hdmi cables? Either way try swapping out the hdmi cable.. my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #4600 of 4842 Old 08-05-2019, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Electronics last longer if they are cooler. Semiconductors and electrolytic capacitors especially, other passive components are not affected so much. The receiver has heatsinks for passive air cooling, right? Yeah, needed to cool things down. A quiet fan will keep the receiver cooler, and all other things being equal, it will last longer. Do note that you might get a quicker build up of dust inside the receiver, which would negate some of the forced air cooling benefits, so keep a watch on that and over the long haul you might need to vacuum clean the receiver. I intend to keep my 7012 for a long time. 7.4.2 (with external 2 channel amp) Atmos / DTS should be good for many years.
post #4601 of 4842 Old 08-05-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
Are you using premium hdmi cables? Either way try swapping out the hdmi cable.. my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will try that, first thing this morning i turn on tv and cablebox and blank screen, I had to press cable button on avr remote..

More problems....
My emotive xpa 5 would not turn on with the avr so I tried a different trigger wire, now it turns on with the avr but it does not turn off when I power down the avr...Any idea?

I think my avr is going bonkers, not happy
post #4602 of 4842 Old 08-05-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
To what end? Both models are 100W into 2CH and there is no further expansion beyond 7.1 or 5.1.2 processing so there's not much to be gained except taking up space in your main zone setup. You may be better served using it as a Zone 2 amp powering speakers in another room (ie. connecting it to the Zone 2 pre-outs on the SR5012).
I want to connect both for a better stereo sound from the marantz (kind ht bypass)
post #4603 of 4842 Old 08-05-2019, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5399 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
Quote:
I want to connect both for a better stereo sound from the marantz (kind ht bypass)
I stand by my earlier post that I doubt it will make any difference, however in theory you want the signal to travel through as few preamps as possible so instead of traveling into the Yamaha through a line level input, as I suggested, I see now that this unit has preamp in and out jacks [joined by jumper loops] on the back, so you'd probably want to remove the jumpers and travel into the Yamaha's power amp stage directly. [As I understand it the main volume knob and nearly all other functions on the front will no longer work though. You are using the Yamaha strictly as just a fixed level power amp.]
post #4604 of 4842 Old 08-05-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I stand by my earlier post that I doubt it will make any difference, however in theory you want the signal to travel through as few preamps as possible so instead of traveling into the Yamaha through a line level input, as I suggested, I see now that this unit has preamp in and out jacks [joined by jumper loops] on the back, so you'd probably want to remove the jumpers and travel into the Yamaha's power amp stage directly. [As I understand it the main volume knob and nearly all other functions on the front will no longer work though. You are using the Yamaha strictly as just a fixed level power amp.]
Yes, thats the way i connected (main in of yamaha to the preouts of the marantz) but my doubt its on the configuration on the menu of the marantz.
post #4605 of 4842 Old 08-05-2019, 08:29 PM

So now a moment ago when i turn off the avr comes on and when i turn on the avr the emotiva amp turns off
post #4606 of 4842 Old 08-05-2019, 11:26 PM

I solved my issue with the trigger, for some reason when i turn off my avr it was going to zone two ON and this was displayed hidden inside the display so you had to have to door open to see the display...

I turned off zone 2 which i never use and its working again...

I feel so much better, now to solve my hdmi quirk
bigguyca likes this.
post #4607 of 4842 Old 08-07-2019, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Adding Outlaw 500 to Marantz SR5102

I have a Marantz SR5012 AVR with 100 watts per channel that I use for my 5.1 system. I recently upgraded my speakers to Monitor Audio Silver 300 series which includes 2 floor standers. All of the speakers in the system have a 90db sensitivity rating. It was suggested by the salesperson I add an amplifier to get the best sound from the speakers. He suggested adding the 5 channel Outlaw 5000 with 120 watts per channel to my Marantz pre-outs.

How do I know if I need the extra power? If anyone has any experience adding an amplifier to their Marantz receiver and if it made a difference I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,
PG55

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
Front L&R-Monitor Audio Silver 300's, Center-MA Silver C350, Surrounds-MA Silver FX
Sub Woofers-Paradigm Reference Millenia (2)
post #4608 of 4842 Old 08-07-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 1309
PG 55,

Congrats on the nice speaker upgrade.

I was looking at these speakers recently as I just upgraded my F,L and C. I went with Cantons, VERY nice. The specs for the Monitor towers recommends they should be pushed with 80-200 watts. The SR5012 won’t meet that requirement if running more than 2 channels. I might go even higher than 120 watts/ channel on a power amp. The real way to tell is play some content at the max volume you would ever use and see how the Marantz responds.
PG55 likes this.

Spoiler!
post #4609 of 4842 Old 08-07-2019, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG55 View Post
I have a Marantz SR5012 AVR with 100 watts per channel that I use for my 5.1 system. I recently upgraded my speakers to Monitor Audio Silver 300 series which includes 2 floor standers. All of the speakers in the system have a 90db sensitivity rating. It was suggested by the salesperson I add an amplifier to get the best sound from the speakers. He suggested adding the 5 channel Outlaw 5000 with 120 watts per channel to my Marantz pre-outs.

How do I know if I need the extra power? If anyone has any experience adding an amplifier to their Marantz receiver and if it made a difference I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,
PG55
You don't. The guy wants you to spend more money. The difference in output between that amp and the AVR is less than 2dB. You'd likely never notice.
PG55 likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 11-01-19)
post #4610 of 4842 Old 08-07-2019, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
You don't. The guy wants you to spend more money. The difference in output between that amp and the AVR is less than 2dB. You'd likely never notice.
I have to agree with MagnumX. Before spending additional money, spend a week or two listening to the system and occasionally at the loudest volume you will ever use. If it then feels like the Marantz amps are straining (or distorted), consider adding the outboard amplifier.

While it's true that the Marantz's ratings cheat by quoting power with only two speakers driven, the difference between 80 watts RMS and 120 watts RMS will likely be indiscernible to your ears unless you consistently push your speakers to their loudest possible volume, and even then...

I'm running an external amp here, but it's to add an additional two channels to make my 9 channel Denon 4300 into an 11 channel AVR, and also to drive two passive 15 inch subs.
PG55 likes this.
post #4611 of 4842 Old 08-07-2019, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
Quote:

Thanks,
PG55
At a 90 dB sensitivity, those speakers should hit reference level with 75 watts (I assumed parameters).

https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Attachment 2600512
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture SPL Calculator.PNG
Views:	108
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	2600514  

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #4612 of 4842 Old 08-07-2019, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
At a 90 dB sensitivity, those speakers should hit reference level with 75 watts (I assumed parameters).

https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Attachment 2600512
Great info-thanks!

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
Front L&R-Monitor Audio Silver 300's, Center-MA Silver C350, Surrounds-MA Silver FX
Sub Woofers-Paradigm Reference Millenia (2)
post #4613 of 4842 Old 08-07-2019, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

YW. Glad to help.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #4614 of 4842 Old 08-08-2019, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22761 Post(s)
Liked: 12417
Quote:

Thanks,
PG55
Movie reference level is considered to be 85dB (rather than FS 105dB) which, after running Audyssey, would be either 80 or 0dB on the Marantz volume depending on which volume scale is being used. Most owners generally listen well below 80/0dB. If your desired movie listening volume is below 80/0dB as well and you're not hearing any distortion from the speakers, then you do not need to add an external amp.
bigguyca likes this.
post #4615 of 4842 Old 08-08-2019, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Cool

Quote:

Thanks,
PG55
Looks like the answers to your question are unanimous. The vast majority of time, answers are never unanimous so in this case you can bet money you got a good answer. I will just add two items that have not been mentioned: 1. 90db sensitivity is an exceptionally high efficiency reading for a speaker, meaning they are very easy on the amp portion of your receiver and need relatively less power to drive than other less efficient speakers and; 2. the amps in the 5012 are fairly high quality and can therefore deliver what the specs say they are delivering. At least when I owned a 5012, I always thought so......

Sounds like the guy who told you this knows little about efficiency and amps and is just trying to sell product...
PG55 likes this.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5012 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 10" Sub
TiVO Premiere
post #4616 of 4842 Old 08-08-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 4544 Post(s)
Liked: 5540
Quote:
Movie reference level is considered to be 85dB (rather than FS 105dB) which, after running Audyssey, would be either 80 or 0dB on the Marantz volume depending on which volume scale is being used. Most owners generally listen well below 80/0dB. If your desired movie listening volume is below 80/0dB as well and you're not hearing any distortion from the speakers, then you do not need to add an external amp.
And if you want to save your ears so you can continue listening to your system as you get older you want to listen at a volume below 80db. Lot's of people don't realize how much damage they do to their ears listening at extremely high volume levels until it's too late.
rocky1 and m. zillch like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #4617 of 4842 Old 08-08-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Quote:
And if you want to save your ears so you can continue listening to your system as you get older you want to listen at a volume below 80db. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] Lot's of people don't realize how much damage they do to their ears listening at extremely high volume levels until it's too late.
I'd agree below 90dB, but 80? Most rooms are 50-60 just for the noise floor. OSHA rates 80dB for 32 hours continuous, 85 for 16 and 90 for 8 hours.

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 11-01-19)
post #4618 of 4842 Old 08-08-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Movie Reference is 85 dB, with 20 dB headroom, which is 105 dB peaks. Thus my post.

post #4619 of 4842 Old 08-08-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Quote:

Movie Reference is 85 dB, with 20 dB headroom, which is 105 dB peaks. Thus my post.

Hmmmm, I thought it was THX that used the reference level of 85dB and Dolby used 75dB. It doesn't really matter as it's just a reference to set pink noise by relative to the peak value on the equipment. Obviously, a movie can be quieter than that most of the movie (e.g. A Quiet Place), but peaks should not pass 105dB. It says nothing about average volume, only that as long as the movie itself was mixed and mastered with the same calibration you should be hearing the same volume the mixing guy heard and meant for the movie. That does not mean one movie cannot have louder average dialog or anything else. That's up to the mixing guy's discretion. Hence, it's a reference point.

Some movies may therefore be easier to listen to at reference than others since the guys mixing it may differ on the levels they use. Raiders of The Lost Ark sounds great at reference (0) here (THX certified mix) while I play most movies between -5 to -10. It's entirely possible that the questionable Disney tracks are set at reference, but the mixing guy doesn't like loud dynamics or average loud volumes or thinks home mixes shouldn't be as loud as the theater.

Even soundtracks that get good reviews (e.g. The Matrix in Atmos) often aren't the same as the cinema mix in volume and/or dynamics. I have the real cinema DTS track for it and matching dialog levels compared to the Atmos track, the cinema DTS 5.1 version has WAY louder dynamic peaks for sound effects than the Atmos track. There is no comparison. The cinema track blows the Atmos track out of the water on my system. It's way more exciting for explosions and other sound effects. Yes, you miss some rear/height placement (Neural X does a good job compensating, though), but for sheer blow your guests out of the water realism, the old 1999 DTS lossy track is WAY better, IMO. But without access to it, you'd never realize it. I've read some studios do not alter the tracks for home use (e.g. Paramount), but sadly most do and forums parrot the false notion that they 'need' to be different as the one is smaller.

Well, that depends on the home and theater in question, but even so levels are levels and I'm not talking about the average level, but the dynamics of sound effects, etc. The fact The Matrix and Paramount tracks sound great disproves this notion that cinema tracks can't sound fantastic at home. You get what you pay for with quality speakers. There is enough room for a crappy sound bar mix in mist cases (lossy Atmos should be good enough for a crappy sound bar even if you think there's a difference). The studios should give us the real cinema tracks, IMO (minus any technical packing to fit them in the home format), but redoing the mix for an environment you cannot predict (home systems vary wildly) doesn't cut it, IMO.

post #4620 of 4842 Old 08-08-2019, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I need help with buzz/hum in system. New SR7012 receiver and I have narrowed the source of the buzz down to my Spectrum cable box. Buzz is only audible when I hook up the HDMI from my cable box. I have tried multiple HDMI cables, plugging cable box in to various outlets, I even took old cable box back and got a new one thinking maybe the old one was going bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
airplay , airplay problems , atmos , auro3d , bridging channels , clipping , dts:x , hdmi arc , issue , Marantz , marantz sr 6012 , marantz sr7012 , sr7012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page